GM Parrot's The Ferry and the Depths: Rappan Athuk

Game Master parrot familiar

Google Drive for maps, loot, etc.

Adelie 43/50
Anzath 48/48
Aurora 49/50 (1 STR damage)
Bedlam 0/57 (1 negative level and dead)
Lolly 48/60 (bleed 1)
Moneduloides (deceased)
Talathel 40/40
Tragershen 30/30

Augusta 20th


4,401 to 4,450 of 4,673 << first < prev | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | next > last >>

Bedlam finds the inevitable rat footprints, which seem to be concentrated at each of the three tunnel openings. This is, or was, a high-traffic area, but right now you can't see or hear any rats. Maybe you killed them.

Everyone in on the rest-in-the-cave plan? I'll move forward with it once most of you check in, unless you decide to try something else.


Female Human Cleric of Nethys 6 | 55/56 HP | AC 20, T 11 , FF 19, CMD 17 | Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10 | Init +1 | Perception +3 | 6/6 Channel Energy; 6/6 Divine Vessel; 1/1 Magical Epiphany | Active Effects: 1Str dam

Aurora, looking quite tired, remains silent for a long while. Once they are all ferried across the river, she says simply in a raw, raspy voice, "I will... meditate on some spells, if you can keep the guard up."

Assuming no interruptions, Aurora will spend 15 minutes to fill her three available spell slots with Lesser Restoration, then cast them on herself.

Lesser Restoration, Heal Con Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Lesser Restoration, Heal Con Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Lesser Restoration, Heal Con Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2

Down to 2 Con damage, and still at 9 Str damage.


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam will begin mixing his concoctions.


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Once they've reached an alcove, Adelie reverts to human form and silently hugs Lolygert. Then, he uses his final wild shape to change into a dire rat and address Jarvik.
"Why did you attack us?


Jarvik sizes up Adelie with a beady, evil eye and hisses in reply. Adelie may continue the interrogation, of course.

Dungie eventually reemerges across the river. He slides back and forth along the riverbank, filling the air with terrible scents. Anzath watches carefully, seeing that the monster wants to find a way across. She may well feel nervous when she sees it approach stalagmites, as it swarms up their sheer sides without much respect to the steepness of their angles or their slipperiness.

Aurora feels much better, but still like crud.


Lolygert 'Lolly' Endeferr Human Barbarian 5/Cleric 1 HP:72/72 AC:23 CMB:+11 CMD: 22 Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +6 Rage:15/18

Lolygert hugs Adelie back then steps back when he transforms, a silent "Whoa!" form his mouth.

he watches as Adelie-rat squeaks at their prisoner, then frowns when Jarvik-rat hisses back, "Is he answering your questions, Adelie?" he asks


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC18 T12 FF16 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 43/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Are these mere stalagmites, or full columns? In other words, is there any indication that dungie can reach and traverse the cavern ceiling?

Anzath directs Talathel's attention to the crawling mass of unmentionable filth. If it looks like the poo monster is close to becoming a threat, she'll press the others to move things along.


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |
GM Parrot wrote:
Anzath watches carefully, seeing that the monster wants to find a way across. She may well feel nervous when she sees it approach stalagmites, as it swarms up their sheer sides without much respect to the steepness of their angles or their slipperiness.

Whoa. Like it has a spider climb ability? If that's the case, I have something I'd like to try when it is over the river. How big is the pooze? Large? Huge?


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

Directed towards the faecal monster, Talathel rapidly tries to work out whether the ceiling will support its mass long enough for it to traverse the water.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Knowledge Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 31

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


As the party speculates, the size-Large dung monster approaches the inlet of the subterranean river. It begins to scale the wall. Anzath's fears (and Tragershen's hopes) prove justified as the monster begins climbing over the river. Talathel opines that the ceiling is likely to hold its weight, especially as the sheer number of stalactites hanging over the river will give it a lot of places to hang on.


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

"Bedlam, can you blast the ceiling it clings to as it crosses? Perhaps the explosion and a fall into rushing water would be enough to slay it outright!"


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC18 T12 FF16 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 43/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

How long does that fly spell last?


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Adelie shakes his little rat head at Lolygert, then hisses back at Jarvik.

Spoiler:
You attacked us. You have no right to be angry.”

In order to communicate with his friends, Adelie casts Beastspeak on himself.
”No. He’s just hissing. He might know something about this place, or about that dung monster. If you want to talk to him, I will translate his responses for you. If he makes any.”


Dungie is not unintelligent, but I think too much time has elapsed for Fly (min/level) to be a factor in this current sticky situation (took the Dung Monster a while to notice the solution, plus it had to eat the rats.)

Jarvik hisses. He, not being an actual rat, probably doesn't speak Rattish, and his ability to communicate with those of his kind might not extend to a druid that he dislikes. You'll have to make him want to talk.


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam eyes the distance between the ground and roof.
Patiently tapping a boot shod foot, waiting for Mr. Stinky Poo to get above the river.

Range bomb touch, Tanglefoot Ref DC 16, splash weapon mastery, precise bombs, splash 6: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 133d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 4, 4) + 3 = 16


I'll hold off on calculating the effect of that bomb until Tragershen tries his plan, but it's on the stack!


Or, not! I'm impatient and I think I know what Tragershen wants to do...

Ref Save vs. Inverted Create Pit on Ceiling: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

The big turd is in deep doodoo as Tragershen rips a dimensional pocket out from underneath it while it is climbing across the river--it plummets into the water with a "plop."

The poo does its best to clog the current and surges towards your position on the far bank: Swim: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

It almost manages it! But instead, it is sucked down the whirlpool-like drain of the underground river, and a after a few twists, it disappears.

The air gradually becomes breathable again. You literally have a chance to catch your breath.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam puts his stuff away.
Me believing dat da elf dun invented da toilet!


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen watches after the disappeared pooze. Then he looks to the others.

"Maybe now that it's gone, we should make a more thorough check that way for valuables."


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC18 T12 FF16 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 43/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

"Back akrozz river?"

did we get a full rest? Should we get a full rest?


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam will set up a secure camp on this side of the river. The Alchemist then begin brewing a Mutagen.


Anzath: No, and probably! Camping on the riverbank, everyone?


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

Tragershen looks to the three tunnel openings.

"Maybe we should check them? If one is a dead end, it might be a good spot to hole up. Or if we need to retreat from a threat, we'll want to make sure we don't get caught in a dead end."


Which way first? 1 west 2 south 3 east: 1d3 ⇒ 2

Fate leads you to the southern path. You find a winding tunnel that gets increasingly narrow, so that to continue you'll have to crawl or be small. Adelie, already in rat form, can scamper ahead, if he chooses.


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

"No, let's not go further now. We know we shouldn't rest in that tunnel. And we know whoever keeps watch will need to monitor it against threats. Let's check the others."

West, then east please.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC18 T12 FF16 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 43/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Anzath asks Bedlam if he can collapse the small tunnel.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam begins repacking his stuff. The dwarf mutters the entire time. He places a blasting jelly on the aforementioned tunnel, lits a tindertwig as he walks away and tosses it over his shoulder to burn the jelly. The ensuing explosion echoes off the walls and ceilings. The cascade of rocks and roots fly behind the irritated dwarf as a symphony!

Let's be 'ploring den!


Female Human Cleric of Nethys 6 | 55/56 HP | AC 20, T 11 , FF 19, CMD 17 | Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10 | Init +1 | Perception +3 | 6/6 Channel Energy; 6/6 Divine Vessel; 1/1 Magical Epiphany | Active Effects: 1Str dam

Aurora's eye twitches at the sound of the explosion.

"Let's try to avoid drawing undue attention to ourselves..."


2 people marked this as a favorite.

The small tunnel crumbles in on itself, sealed utterly and forever.

The western tunnel also contracts as it goes, diminishing to the diameter of a Dire Rat. You have one of those, but if you'd rather blow it to bits, you may.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Adelie runs through the tunnel before the insane dwarf can blow this one up, too.


Adelie finds himself in the same network of tunnels that was used to plan the ambush. After winding through several of them, he finds a larger chamber that includes a rat midden full of bones, bits of armor, and various other objects.


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Rat-Adelie searches the midden.
Perception: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 10 + 1 = 28


Adelie finds piles of coins in various denominations, a battered scroll case, and a set of googles.

What to do without pocketses?


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

He'll run back through the tunnels and inform the others. Can he pick up the goggles in his mouth and carry them with him?


Adelie snarfs up the goggles and skitters gleefully back to the party.

His Wild Shape time is dwindling all the while, but there's still an OK amount left...


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Adelie deposits the goggles at Tragershen’s feet.
”There’s more stuff back there! Coins, and a scroll case.”


Lolygert 'Lolly' Endeferr Human Barbarian 5/Cleric 1 HP:72/72 AC:23 CMB:+11 CMD: 22 Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +6 Rage:15/18

Lolygert celebrates the soggy demise of the poo-monster with a wild Whoop! along with a little dance along side the surging underground river, "Excellent Trick!!" he cries, slapping Tragershen on the shoulder.

Lolygert is most uncomfortable exploring the teeny-tiny caves, especially when they get really really tight. He hangs back a bit as Adelie explores.


F half-elf Slayer 5/TWW 1 | AC18 T12 FF16 (+2 vs Traps) | HP 43/48 | F +7 R +6 (+8 vs Traps) W +2 | Init +4 (+6 UG) | Perc +12 (+14 UG)(+3 for traps) (DV 60ft, LB) Active Effects:

Anzath offers to crawl back to the were rat nest with Adelie in order to procure the loot. Or maybe we hole up in the nest?


Male Elven Wizard (Diviner, Foresight) 6 | HP 38 | AC:14 | FF:11 | T:14 | CMB:+3 | CMD:16 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+ | Will:+6 | Init:+10 | Perc +0 | St:+3 |

"Was there more than one way out of the nest? I'd hate for that ooze to climb back up here somehow and catch us in a dead end."


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam has the look of doing something...wildcardish...

The dwarf whistles innocently.


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Was the southern path, from what we were able to see of it, sloped noticeably up or down? Or both, at different points? Or was it fairly even? What about the other tunnels that Adelie ran through?


Adelie and Anzath go collect the rest of the treasure.

Wandering Monster: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Nothing happens to trap them in the tunnels, so they gather 150 GP and a scroll case for Tragershen's inspection. The rat warren is filthy, smelly, and small--you could cram everyone in here, but nobody could lie down if you did.

There are more tunnels out of the nest--they connect with the ambush holes on the other side of the staircase path.

Map update inbound.


The southern path began to narrow before you had a chance to ascertain its overall slope. The rest have been up and down and around, see new map. One path remains! As does a visit to the dung monster's lair, if you'd like.


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

So we be 'sploring the Poo monster lair den find a guud spot ta rest?


That or go down the last of the rat tunnels across the river. You DO now have a way to cross the river without flying, but you'll have to crawl through rat tunnels.


Male LN Elf Fighter 6 (Lore Warden, Martial Master) | HP: 40/40| AC: 21 (16 Tch, 15 Fl) | CMB: +10/+13, CMD: 25 | F +5, R +7, W +6 | Init: +7 | Per +8, SM +2, Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Spells: None | Active conditions: Not plagued! (to the best of his knowledge)

"I suggest that we rest first. We have expended considerable resources and suffered loss."


Human Druid (6) | HP:43/50 | AC:17 | FF:15 | T:12 | F+7; R+3; W+9 | Init +1 | Perc +10 | Wildshaped, Distraught

Adelie scurries over to the last tunnel and sniffs at it. If he doesn't smell anything, he'll walk down it a little ways, sniffing and taking move actions to pinpoint direction as he does.


Female Human Cleric of Nethys 6 | 55/56 HP | AC 20, T 11 , FF 19, CMD 17 | Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +10 | Init +1 | Perception +3 | 6/6 Channel Energy; 6/6 Divine Vessel; 1/1 Magical Epiphany | Active Effects: 1Str dam

"Yes... I would be in no condition to fight if we encounter any trouble. Let's rest first."


Male Dwarf Alchemist [Grenadier] 6 Initiative+6 Hp 57/57 AC 21/17 Fort+7, Ref+7, Will+3 (+3 spells, sp, poison)Perception+10/+12(+2 stone) Active:Heightened Awareness, Barkskin, Antiplague, Antitoxin, Vermin Repellent, and Mutagen: 60 minutes each.

Bedlam begins setting up camp...again. The dwarf then bbqs some rats and brews some stuff.

Antitoxins anyone? Plus, his Mutagen.


Lolygert 'Lolly' Endeferr Human Barbarian 5/Cleric 1 HP:72/72 AC:23 CMB:+11 CMD: 22 Fort +10 Ref +4 Will +6 Rage:15/18

Lolygert yawns prodigiously, and nods ,"A little rest would be good..."

He the helps Bedlam set up camp...

4,401 to 4,450 of 4,673 << first < prev | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Parrot's the Ferry and the Depths: Rappan Athuk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.