GM_PapaSteve's The Confirmation for PbP Newbies [PbP Gameday IV] (Inactive)

Game Master Papasteve08

Explore, Report, Cooperate!
Tactical


1 to 50 of 265 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

This game is by special invite only!


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

The illustrious Kreighton Shaine gives an odd stare to a pair of street sweeps lugging the shattered remains of a wooden training dummy to a waiting cart as he waltzes into the front door of a familiar tavern.

He passes by several recruits who are filing out, eventually catching the eye of one, Janira Gavix. He picks up his pace and moves to the table in the back of the room where his favorite pupil is sitting with a motley crew of 6 fresh faced initiates. Without hesitation, he leaps upon the table to stand in the middle and look down upon the ring of the chosen few. He stretches his arms out wide in a grandios gesture, and bows. The smile on his face is infectious as he begins to speak.

"Welcome! Welcome, my students! Please, have a seat! Well, you are already sitting. Perfect, just goes to show why you were selected to begin with, proper foresight and all." With that, Kreighton Shaine, the Pathfinder Society’s Master of Scrolls, nimbly drops down to sit cross-legged on the table before looking about the tavern with a sense of reverent wonder.

"Can you believe it? It all started here years ago—well, over four hundred of them at least. Under this very roof the Pathfinder Society was born. But today! Today you will begin your Confirmation! Master Farabellus, Master Zey, and I all agree you each have shown your worth and dedication to the Society, so there’s no better time to see if you can handle becoming full field operatives. Allow me to introduce you to Janira Gavix," he says as he motions to the perky halfling the recruits have already gotten to know so well.

"We have already learned so much about each other while we waited for you, dear." the halfling responds with an equally infectious smile, all while buttoning and strapping her backpack, off of which hangs all manner of scroll cases, tools and various implements.

Shaine continues, saying, "Janira here will be going with you on your Confirmation. She was one of my brightest pupils and will no doubt be an invaluable resource on your journey, for she discovered the caves you are about to explore during her own Confirmation."

Blushing only slightly, Janira cannot contain her excitement as she begins to tell her tale. "Six months ago, while I was mapping cave entrances in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts, I witnessed a lone gillman entering a concealed cave. I thought little of it at the time, but I saw another one enter the cave again a month later as my Confirmation stretched on. A few days later, after I completed my assigned task, I entered the cave system, but was unable to find the gillmen."

Master Shaine hops to his feet, making a sweeping motion with his arm to indicate the six gathered in front of him. "Initiates, for your Confirmation, you will travel to these caves to explore and document its many passages. Additionally, and most importantly, you are to learn what the gillmen are up to in there. Oh, and you need to come back alive as well."

With these parting words, the Master of Scrolls jumps off the table and strolls out of the building while humming to himself, with nary a second look over his shoulder.

Ok - you have already had likely the best introduction session to any play by post you will ever experience. Probably. Feel free to get acquainted with each other now that you are down to six and perhaps ask a few basic questions. (Don't worry, I've got a bit more for you before we head out the proverbial door. If you have Knowledge: Geography or Knowledge: History, go ahead and make those checks for me. I will spoiler what you know.

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

Nbu T'ka sits down nervously at the table. He folds his radiant and unusually blue wings over the front of his cheap glass of mezcal. Why don't I ever get the worm? Maybe I need to wake up earlier... but how can I when all I've been drinking is this? Regardless, he pours the liquid past his strangely stunted and curved beak, and down his gullet.

As all the action took place in the tavern - an obstacle course, a riddle contest, (Iomedae, it's Iomedae!) a strange brawl with an animated object, followed by fortune telling and merriment - the quiet tengu from a quiet monastery in the quiet mountains of northern Tian Xia found he was not used to such noise. True, Absalom was quite the awakening for him, but he was still ill at ease in such large crowds.

Much to Nbu T'Ka's relief, various groups of Pathfinders start filing out of the Wounded Wisp until there are just six initiates, Janira and Kreighton Shaine. He was my favorite lecturer. Such a thirst for knowledge, that one. I bet Janira learned more from being held back until she could answer that riddle than she realizes. What wisdom hidden behind a child-like personality. Oh, I wish I had that man's whimsy...

"*Squawk* Alive?" Nbu T'ka is broken from his reverie when he realizes what has just been said, "You mean there is a doubt? Aren't we *squawk* just exploring some caves where the Gillmen are going? *squawk* Did you know that they consider themselves to be descended from the Azlanti, and claim to have the purest blood of that race in all Golarion?"

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

The gathered Pathfinders get the impression that Nbu T'ka wants to say more, he is eager to impress as always, but he trails off at the further thought of death.

GM:
I'm just rolling mostly to make it an "official post" as per my previous guidelines.... and for fun. I've got the full spoilers of course, running the adventure on the other thread, but I think it best to let some others shake their stuff before coming in with too much info. Hope you don't mind me putting in the DC 15 thing. I originally wrote it, then realized it may be part of the adventure to know this particular thing (and it was).

By the way, if you're ever interested in exploring more of the Azlanti / Gillmen thing, we should try to convince John to run From Shore to Sea for us. It's a 5-7, but it really goes in deep on that front, and it's a semi-Cthulian horror thing, which he will do really well at. Not quite as much so as Carrion Hill (also worthwhile) but still has tentacles and mists).

I'm rambling. Sorry.


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

Nbu T'ka:
All good mate! Nice post to kick it off! I love the mix of the character wanting to help and the player not wanting to steal the spotlight. Nice work! I will wait for the others to make checks and then go from there. At the very least with your check we can reveal that information if they don't make it.

Grand Lodge

Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

GM:
I will try to make a Japanese accent by changing all “L” to “R” only when Shuo speaks (actions and thoughts will remain without this change). If it gets too much confusing, please let me know!

Shou listens to all this new information quietly, trying to understand all that is asked of him without questioning.

Hum… travel to the caves, explore and document, discover the gillmen motives. I WILL come back alive and so will my companions.

I am assuming that since we spent so much time at the Wounded Wisp, Shuo already knows Nbu T’ka (according by his post, he was present during the whole event).

Shuo discretely frowns upon Nbu T’ka questioning a superior.

This tengu… I am not sure yet I can trust this one. Maybe I can find the answer to my doubts during this mission. Based on the general prejudice against the tengu shared by the majority of the humans of Tian-Xia.

"Nobre Nbu T’ka-san, no journey is absent of danger."


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

Shuo:
No problems, it's your character, and that is part of the beauty of play by post. I would just caution you to be careful of anything that could be considered offensive. I played at a table with a guy who spoke like that at Gen Con. It was... awkward, and probably a good thing there was no one there of oriental descent.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Human (Varisian) Hydrokineticist 11 | HP: 123/123(33NL)| AC: 36( 20Tch, 29 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 29 | F: +14, R: +17, W: +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +15, SM: +1 | Speed 40ft, Swim 20ft | Burn: 3/7 |Active conditions: 2 Burn into Shroud of Water(+2 AC), 1 Burn into Kinetic Form, Elemental Overflow(+3Hit, +6DMG, +2Con, +2Dex, 15% Fortification)

Lisa just watches the whirlwind that is Master Shaine exit the tavern. "Well, at least he remembered his shoes this time..."

As Nbu begins to squawk in terror, she breaks the daze that her teacher put her in. "Shuo's right. Besides, haven't you read any of the Pathfinder Chronicles? A great many of those telling involve danger of one sort, or another."

She stands and stretches for a moment, before she turns to Janira. "What more can you tells about these caves?"

Silver Crusade

Male CG Human (“Chelaxian”) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish/Sound Striker) 1, Bloodrager (Urban Bloodrager) 1 | HP: 10/18| AC: 16(18) (13(15) Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15(17) | F: +3, R: +5(+7), W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Bardic Performance: 4/6, Urban Bloodrage 2/5 | Spells: 1st 1/2| Active conditions: bloodrage +4 dex, dance

Luthor spends his time meditating on what happened with the animated dummy while praying to Sarenrae for guidance.

Who would send such a creature to attack initiates of the Pathfinder Society? Many innocents could have been hurt.

The background noise from the gathered initiates starts to die down. Luthor's senses start to turn back to focusing on the room and the people who remain in the tavern.

Kreighton Shaine bursts in and gathers the remaining initiates up.

It seems that today is the day of my Confirmation, thank the Dawnflower.

Luthor stays silent out of respect for the Master of Scrolls. He listens to the other initiates as they ask Janira questions about the journey ahead of them.

"Nbu, i hope our first mission for the Pathfinder Society does not run in to any trouble. If it does, i believe our training with the Swords should be enough to help us through"

Luthor tries to sound positive, even though he is quite nervous about the test ahead of him.

"I have spent my whole life in Absolom." he says. "I've read about wondrous places in the Pathfinder Chronicles but have not witnessed any with my own eyes. I hope we can find something amazing so it can be documented in the Chronicles!"

Luthor tries to remember what he knows about Gillmen to see if it explains anything.

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

"That's just it Nbu T'ka!" squeals the excited halfling, interrupting the struggle she is having with something in her pack. She drops it for a moment to turn back to the table as the group talks.

"You aren't just exploring the caves, you ARE exploring the caves!" she says, clapping her hands and pausing, as if the difference should be incredibly obvious. "Danger is something every pathfinder must be prepared to deal with. I have some incredible stories I could tell you, but now is not the time." She says, by way of answering both Luthor and calming Nbu T'ka's worries.

"Unfortunately Lissa, I don't have much information. All I know is twice I witnessed a lone gillman entering the caves, but by the time I made it over to investigate a few days later, I couldn't find either of the gillmen. My confirmation task did not involve exploring the caves and I had just completed months of work, so I hurried back in order to report what I had seen. Explore, Report, Cooperate!" she says, positively beaming.

"I reported, you are cooperating, and now for your confirmation, you get to explore! The cycle continues anew!" She giggles, clapping her hands then ducks back down to struggle with her pack once again.

Just looking for Knowledge (Geography) and Knowledge (History) checks right now. All GMs have different styles, and sometimes a GM will just spoiler the information ahead of time that you could find out based on how high your check was. At least for now, I would rather keep the knowledge DCs private, and just spoiler what you know depending on how good your check is. For those unfamiliar with PFS scenarios, these knowledge checks in the beginning are pretty common, and can help give clues/foreshadowing as to what you have in store.

Grand Lodge

Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

Shuo tries to remember anything about the mission:

Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Both checks are untrained!


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

Good point Shuo - Knowledge checks can be used untrained for anything DC10 and below. Thanks for the reminder!

Nbu T'ka:
Also known as the Low Azlanti, the gillmen are an amphibious humanoid race believed to be the last descendants of the ancient Azlanti people.

During Earthfall, the Starstone struck Golarion and destroyed the human empires of Thassilon and Azlant. It is said that gillmen’s ancestors survived the cataclysmic event because they received the blessing of an aquatic entity that allowed them to breath underwater.

Most scholars believe the terrifying aboleths were responsible for the gillmen’s transformation. Any alliance between them appears to have fallen apart over the millennia, however, and the gillmen are now an
independent people.

Feel free to share if you want, or wait for others to dot in and take their shot at it.

Shuo:
Also known as the Low Azlanti, the gillmen are an amphibious humanoid race believed to be the last descendants of the ancient Azlanti people.

Feel free to share at your leisure! (Nbu T'ka said something similar above, for reference)

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

Danger? Almost always? What is this life that I have gotten myself into. Nbu T'ka clucks nervously as these thoughts race through his mind. He glances around the room at his fellow Pathfinders and swallows deeply - a sound like a small, wet, wobbly, rumbling - before speaking.

"Yes, *squawk*, I believe you are right," he says at last, ruffling his blue feathers to make himself look larger, "If we are to be Pathfinders, then we need to *squawk* do what Pathfinders do and face the peril head on. No knowledge without the prospect of *squawk* danger. It's like Valsin says, 'nothing worthwhile was ever *squawk* easy'. After seeing what you did to that *squawk* animated Aspis dummy, I'm glad I'm with you five!"

My knowledge (history) result is above.... feel free to give the info to Shuo instead, since I've already spoiled the DC 15 bit. I really don't mind. :-)

Grand Lodge

male NG Half-orc Ranger (skirmisher) 1 |HP: 13/13| AC: 17 (13 tch, 14 fl) | CMB: +3, CMD 17, (14 fl) | F: +4, R +4, W +1 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM +1| | Speed 30 ft | Track +1, wild empathy -1, favored enemy humanoid (humans) +2 | Active conditions: None.

Kajar sits stiffly, cupping a mug of mulled cider in his hands. "This is it. This is happening. Now is my chance to strike out on my own, prove I'm no whelp or charity. Remember, Kajar, clear voice, eye contact, smile but not toothy-like. Mum was right- you are ready."

"I've read of Master Shaine, and he is as... interesting as the rags suggest. Chin -er- beak- nose? dang it! Head up, Nbu, you've got a friend in me. I led crusaders through the wilds of Belkzen, and I've got a sturdy pack full of gear and sharp axes.

We'll get through these caves together, as Pathfinders do."

Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Silver Crusade

HP: 67/67 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 18 l F +10, R +6, W +12 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (5/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/5, D1: 1/1, L2: 4/4, D2: 1/1, L3: 3/4, D3: 1/1, L4: 3/3, D4: 0/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +11, Diplomacy +13, Heal +11, Kn. Arcana +5, Kn. History +6, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +12, Linguistics +7, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +5
Female NG Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 8 l Active Conditions:

Nella can't help but grin along with Shane and Janira as they explain the nature of their first task as Pathfinder initiates.

Now these are the sorts of people I want to spend my time with. Their enthusiasm is infectious!

"Kajar's got the right of it," Nella nods in agreement. "As long as we show a little common sense there's no need for long faces, my downy friend," she smiles as she pats Nbu on the shoulder. "In fact, we might just enjoy ourselves. Imagine that!"

"Although...I have to admit that my knowledge of caverns and the like doesn't amount to much," she continues. "When I was studying at the temple, I tended to stick to just the things I needed to know to perform my duties as a priestess; if I'd known that my feet would eventually bring me to the Pathfinders, I might've broadened my scope a bit more. Ah well, hindsight and such. Hopefully I'll have time to work on fixing that eventually." She falls silent, absently drumming her fingers on the table as the struggles to recall anything she might have heard or learned that would be useful.

Kn. History (Untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Kn. Geography (Untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

It makes much more sense now why so many GMs just post the knowledge spoilers right off the bat... I'll do that in the future. Your collaborative checks have revealed all the information there is to gather, for reference.

Shuo:

Here is the knowledge (history) information that Nbu T'ka got with his check, "given" to you as requested. You can reveal this in character, or invite others to open the spoiler. I will do this differently in the future to save unnecessary back and forth.

Also known as the Low Azlanti, the gillmen are an amphibious humanoid race believed to be the last descendants of the ancient Azlanti people.

During Earthfall, the Starstone struck Golarion and destroyed the human empires of Thassilon and Azlant. It is said that gillmen’s ancestors survived the cataclysmic event because they received the blessing of an aquatic entity that allowed them to breath underwater.

Most scholars believe the terrifying aboleths were responsible for the gillmen’s transformation. Any alliance between them appears to have fallen apart over the millennia, however, and the gillmen are now an independent people.

Kajar:

Here is the knowledge (geography) information that you know. You can reveal this in character, or invite others to open the spoiler. I will do this differently in the future to save unnecessary back and forth.

At the center of the Isle of Kortos stand the Kortos Mounts, the points on the island.

Entire tribes of centaurs, harpies, and minotaurs constantly vie for territory up and around the Mounts, with harpies being the most common at higher altitudes and centaurs controlling the lower slopes and foothills.

After struggling for the last few minutes, Janira finally wrestles a large leather-bound journal free and opens it on the table. ”We have spent much time getting to know you, and I have enjoyed every second of it. Allow me to tell you more about myself!”

”I am the oldest of seven siblings. I grew up in Eastgate and my father still works in the area. I joined the society to see the world, but I fell in love with learning and preserving knowledge, thanks in no small part to the very odd Kreighton Shaine. Someday I will have my work published in one of the Pathfinder Chronicles. I just know that will be the ticket I need to become a Pathfinder Chronicler.”

The nearly 3-foot tall Halfling stands up and straightens her tunic, then flips open the journal in front of her with a smile

“On to the details of the mission at hand,” Janira says with an eager grin. “After reviewing my mission reports personally, Master Shaine believes it is no coincidence that each time the gillmen entered the caves it was during a full moon, so it is also no coincidence that you have been called here now, just a day before the moon is full again. We both believe that tomorrow night is our best chance to find out why these caves are important and what exactly the gillmen are doing in there.

“The caves we’ll be travelling to lie under the base of the Kortos Mounts. We’ll need to spend every minute of daylight possible to reach the caves by foot, crossing over the Cairnlands, taking the paths to Diobel, and finally making our way through the wilderness. With any luck we won’t run into any of the local inhabitants. Once in the caves, we’ll need to work together to explore and determine whether any gillman are present or have been recently. Keep an eye out for any other clues that might hint at the caves’ significance, too.

”I will do my best to answer any questions you have, and now is the time to make sure you have all the provisions you might need. Once you are all satisfied that you understand the task in front of you, we shall be off to begin your Confirmation!”

The excitement the pint sized Halfling exudes barely seems possible to be contained in her tiny frame.

Ok. There was a big info dump for you. Process as necessary, post any questions or any additional gear you may want to purchase. Once I get enough responses I will move things forward. Please also note that if for some reason you ‘miss’ an opportunity to respond and the story moves on, you can always make a 2-part post that references what you did or said back at that moment, and then another one that addresses the here and now. I want to make sure we keep things moving at a reasonable pace without leaving anyone behind.

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

"Oh, questions... *squawk*... none just yet," says Nbu T'ka nervously, "But if you want to know more about the gillmen *squawk*, I do remember a tale told to me after class one day. I ran into this priest of *squawk* Desna, Haafiz al'Mahir, if I remember correctly. He had been to a town called... *squawk* Blackcove. I'm sure it's made the archives. Anyway, he told me that they discovered the gillmen were indeed descended from the Azlanti. During Earthfall *squawk*, they were saved by the Aboleths of all creatures - the same ones who drew the meteor down in the first place!

"These *squawk* favored of the Aboleths were kept safe in the watery depths, necessitating their transformation into gillmen. With the decline of the Aboleth and other ancient civilizations, the *squawk* gillmen were left to their own devices and are now an independent people.... mostly. I won't relate all of Haafiz's tale, for I'm sure it has made the Chronicles (sorry Janira), but suffice it to say that any gillmen we are likely to meet should display the tell-tale purple eyes of the Azlanti people and... I hope... have nothing to do with the terrifying *squawk* Aboleths!"

Nbu T'ka tilts his head in a very birdlike fashion - that is, at a very steep angle without straining his neck at all. He waits for praise at his recall of this extracurricular knowledge.

Let me know if the squawking gets too much. It's more of a nervous tick, so as Nbu T'ka gains confidence, it should recede... ;-)

All good for equipment. I will ask questions only if everyone else is stuck for what to ask.

Grand Lodge

Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

Shuo remembers a couple of things about the gillmen.

”Nbu-san is right about the gillmen. It is said that gillmen’s ancestors survived the Earthfall because they received the blessing of an aquatic entity that allowed them to breath underwater. Most scholars believe the aboleths were responsible for their transformation, but any alliance between them appears to have ended.”

Thinking a little more about his information, Shuo continues.

”Maybe their reason to enter the cave during a full moon is related with this aquatic entity.”

Shuo starts to mentally check all the gear that he left prepared before coming to the Wounded Wisp.

”I think I have all I need for this mission. I have navigating equipment to arrive to this caves and to explore and document it, as well as journey gear. Uhmm… maybe I will need a rope just in case… any one of you, my honored friends, have a rope?”

Shuo has a compass and a mapmaker’s kit, as well as the common pathfinder kit.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Human (Varisian) Hydrokineticist 11 | HP: 123/123(33NL)| AC: 36( 20Tch, 29 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 29 | F: +14, R: +17, W: +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +15, SM: +1 | Speed 40ft, Swim 20ft | Burn: 3/7 |Active conditions: 2 Burn into Shroud of Water(+2 AC), 1 Burn into Kinetic Form, Elemental Overflow(+3Hit, +6DMG, +2Con, +2Dex, 15% Fortification)

Lissa stops and thinks about what all she could need or use for such an expedition. "Will we be setting up a base camp?"

If you don't mind, I'm going to swap out the Kineticist kit that I foolishly assumed would cover my need for the more appropriate Pathfinder kit. 4gp more, same weight, and a much better supply of items.


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

@Lissa - No worries! The group I play with has a general convention of allowing retcon purchases up until the first encounter begins. Just make sure to post anything changed/new so I have it for reference.

Janira claps her hands excitedly as Nbu T'ka and Shuo share their knowledge about the gillmen. "Welldonewelldone!" she runs all her words together.

"Master Shaine knew what he was doing when he fast tracked you six to a joint Confirmation. Very impressive research! Shuo, I quite like your hypothesis. I look forward to seeing if you are able to find evidence to either support or refute it!"

Excited to reward her pupils with praise, she makes sure to make eye contact with both the Tengu and the Tian man to acknowledge their contribution.

Janira turns to the varisian as she speaks. "A good question Lissa. I don't anticipate setting up a base camp. You see, there are plenty of bandits and other wild threats in the area we will need to be on the watch for, and you will ideally spend the majority of your time researching the cave. Should the need arise to spend more than one night, we can set up a camp and tear down in the morning. No sense in leaving something behind that we might have to guard.

Also keep in mind that tomorrow night is the night I expect to see activity, based on the previous research. This doesn't leave us much time as it will take all day today and half the day tomorrow just to get there by foot, and that is if we don't lolly-gag on our way!"

Silver Crusade

Male CG Human (“Chelaxian”) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish/Sound Striker) 1, Bloodrager (Urban Bloodrager) 1 | HP: 10/18| AC: 16(18) (13(15) Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15(17) | F: +3, R: +5(+7), W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Bardic Performance: 4/6, Urban Bloodrage 2/5 | Spells: 1st 1/2| Active conditions: bloodrage +4 dex, dance

Luthor listens as the other initiates ask questions and share their knowledge.

"I have some silk rope Shuo-san. I hope there isn't too much spelunking to do though, I'm not keen on very tight spaces."

I'm glad these people are knowledgeable of such things. My training with Priestess Isonda mostly focused on religious texts and rituals...

"I wonder if the site has some kind of religious significance to the gillmen?" he says mostly to himself.

"Wouldn't it be wonderful to discover a lost Azlanti settlement or some such while on our confirmation! "

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

Nbu T'ka fluffs up his feathers at the praise and makes a faint *click tick* noise from time to time. His fellow Pathfinders will come to recognize this as his version of a smile.

"Well, I am ready to go," says the tengu, his recent pride allowing him to do so without his usual nervous squawking, "Though I am shamed to admit that I do not have any rope. I will procure some. I am not sure if the Azlanti ever really built settlements in caves, *squawk* Luthor," contradicting his classmates was making Nbu T'ka nervous again, "But I guess it is *squawk* possible. And yes, it would be wonderful!"

A little later, at the supply store...

Nbu T'ka carefully counts out his last ten gold pieces for the silk rope... leaving him with only a few silver and some copper to his name. He gulps down hard. I sure hope this cave has some treasure we'll be allowed to keep...

Ready to go, and flat broke.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Human (Varisian) Hydrokineticist 11 | HP: 123/123(33NL)| AC: 36( 20Tch, 29 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 29 | F: +14, R: +17, W: +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +15, SM: +1 | Speed 40ft, Swim 20ft | Burn: 3/7 |Active conditions: 2 Burn into Shroud of Water(+2 AC), 1 Burn into Kinetic Form, Elemental Overflow(+3Hit, +6DMG, +2Con, +2Dex, 15% Fortification)

Okay, I made that change on my character sheet.

Lissa lifts her pack onto the table and spends a little time digging though it. "Well, if one of you is collecting rope, then I'm good to go now. A couple days walking sounds just fine to me."

Silver Crusade

Male CG Human (“Chelaxian”) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish/Sound Striker) 1, Bloodrager (Urban Bloodrager) 1 | HP: 10/18| AC: 16(18) (13(15) Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15(17) | F: +3, R: +5(+7), W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Bardic Performance: 4/6, Urban Bloodrage 2/5 | Spells: 1st 1/2| Active conditions: bloodrage +4 dex, dance

For the second time in as many minutes, Luthor is glad that his allies knowledge fills the gaps in his own learning.

"I'll admit that i don't really know much about history, ancient or otherwise. I'll be glad to share in your knowledge on this trip Nbu."

I've never met a Tengu that 'squawks' this much. I wonder what that means...

Luthor takes a deep breath as his thinks of the journey ahead of him.

Well i guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. Lead on Janira! he says as he repacks his silk rope.

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

Nbu T'ka sits there for a long time, wringing his feathered hands together. He makes several nervous *tick*s and a few *tuck*s with his tongue before finally working up the gumption to speak. As though in response to Luthor's unspoken words about his squawking, Nbu T'ka becomes all the more jittery when he speaks.

"*Squawk* Luthor... umm... *squawk*... please, erm, please note that my name is *squawk* 'Nbu T'ka'. I know the 'T'ka' is hard to *squawk* pronounce, b-b-but it is important. 'Nbu' means 'no-one' or 'nothing', *squawk* whereas 'Nbu T'ka' means 'abandoned one'. It is *squawk* a very important distinction... and *squawk*... you are not alone among humans in *squawk* wanting to abbreviate my name, but... p-p-please *squawk* do not."

As to why the tengu feels it is important and nicer to be called the "abandoned one", none can say.

Grand Lodge

Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

Thinking about the journey to the caves Shuo could not stop himself of thinking about all his travels back in Tian-Xia and all he left behind.

I hope the Great Tsukiyo reserves a better future for me in this land...

"Honored friends, if all of us are ready for our journey, we should not wait any longer! Our mission has a great importance to the society." Shuo looks towards Nella and Kajar. "Nella-san, Kajar-san, are you two ready to go?"

Shuo hears what Nbu T'ka was saying to Luthor.

"Nbu T'ka-san, prease forgive my rudeness, I should have known."

Seeing a half eaten muffin left behind by Jillia, Shuo takes it.

"I will be waiting outside, feeding Fei."

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

"You did not shorten my name, Shuo-San," notes Nbu-Tka, "You *squawk* lengthened it. Actually, adding the '-san' to my name means that you love me." Nbu T'ka *click-clicks* rapidly and repeatedly. A giggle, perhaps? If so, it sounds forced.

Bluff: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

Sense motive, DC 18:
Nbu was lying. He was deadpan and flat out lying. It is possible the tengu has absolutely no concept of what a joke is. Perhaps he thinks it is just a lie followed by a laugh.

Grand Lodge

Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

I will assume this is a far-fetched lie, since Shuo, born a samurai (nobility Tien class), has deep knowledge about Tien honorifics and the tengu culture is not strange to him.

Sense Motive (Far-fetched lie): 1d20 + 7 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 10 = 22

Shuo knows this is a lie, but decides to play along.

Let's see if this blue bird has a mind as fast as his tongue...

"Oh, it was not my intention to express myself in this way but, you, honored friend, by calling me 'Shuo-san', seems to really love me, since you knew its meaning!" Shuo blinks towards Nbu T’ka and leaves him to face the others.

What an awesome roll you had!

Silver Crusade

HP: 67/67 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 18 l F +10, R +6, W +12 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (5/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/5, D1: 1/1, L2: 4/4, D2: 1/1, L3: 3/4, D3: 1/1, L4: 3/3, D4: 0/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +11, Diplomacy +13, Heal +11, Kn. Arcana +5, Kn. History +6, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +12, Linguistics +7, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +5
Female NG Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 8 l Active Conditions:

As the group confers on what they know of the gillmen, Nella raises her hand. "It's not part of the main assignment obviously, but you mentioned that we hopefully won't run into any of the 'local inhabitants' on our trip out to these caves. What sort of inhabitants? Anything specific that we need to be on the lookout for?"

Turning to the others, she adds, "I've got some rope too, if we need it. I think I'm good on supplies, though. Seems like we've got all or at least most of what we'd need between the si-er seven of us!"

Listening to the exchange between Shuo and Nbu T'ka, she shifts uncomfortably. "I'm glad you said something about your name Nbu T'ka, otherwise I probably would've shortened it too, or come up with a nickname for you. Hopefully I didn't cause too much offense."

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8
Shuo, the Owl of Shokuro wrote:
"Oh, it was not my intention to express myself in this way but, you, honored friend, by calling me 'Shuo-san', seems to really love me, since you knew its meaning!"

"No, but you see that isn't really true..." Nbu T'ka almost catches himself in time. He really has no idea how to tell a joke.

Penelope 'Nella' Tabor wrote:
"Hopefully I didn't cause too much offense."

"No offense at all! I just... *squawk* well, I spend a lot of time studying languages."

Grand Lodge

male NG Half-orc Ranger (skirmisher) 1 |HP: 13/13| AC: 17 (13 tch, 14 fl) | CMB: +3, CMD 17, (14 fl) | F: +4, R +4, W +1 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM +1| | Speed 30 ft | Track +1, wild empathy -1, favored enemy humanoid (humans) +2 | Active conditions: None.

Kajar points to the cluster of high hills in the center of the map. "The Kortos Mounts are home to several tribes- notably centaurs, minotaurs, and harpies. I've scouted these hills from a distance, and it seems the centaurs hold sway in the foothills, though these peoples all clash with the others for local dominance."

Kajar flashes a quick smile towards Nbu. "We should be safe from the harpies, as they seem to lair in the higher elevations. Perhaps we should consider bargaining with any centaurs we meet, they may be more... agreeable to our band than any minotaurs we might meet."

He stands and shoulders his pack, "I'm ready to go, and I also have rope. I also have a grappling bolt, so if needed I can fire a shot from my crossbow to secure a line."

Silver Crusade

HP: 67/67 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 18 l F +10, R +6, W +12 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (5/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/5, D1: 1/1, L2: 4/4, D2: 1/1, L3: 3/4, D3: 1/1, L4: 3/3, D4: 0/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +11, Diplomacy +13, Heal +11, Kn. Arcana +5, Kn. History +6, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +12, Linguistics +7, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +5
Female NG Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 8 l Active Conditions:

"Well, I guess that answers my question too," Nella smiles wryly. "Centaurs, harpies, and minotaurs - oh my! Of the three, I think I'd definitely rather take my chances with the centaurs as well. Though personally, I'm still hoping that 'none of the above' will be our first option."

"Oh, I've still got some money left if we need to buy anything else," she adds. "Though if we do, one of you may need to carry it. I've got noodle arms and I'm already loaded down as it is."

Nella is currently operating with a medium load.


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

Cyrus'd by Nella!

"Excellent! You may be my first class to take through their confirmation, since usually a pathfinder does her confirmation solo, but you shall be my favorite! Well done indeed Kajar! And yes, you answered Nella's question. There have also been reports of bandits on the road, in addition to the local population of centaurs, minotaurs, and the harpies higher up, as Kajar explained. I should hope we can avoid all of them, since we will need to make all haste to the caves, but one must be prepared!"

"There are many races, many creeds, and many ideals represented in the pathfinder society. This is the primary reason for our third creed, cooperate! Master Shaine did well bringing such a diverse group of agent hopefuls to me. I believe you will learn more than just the secrets of the cave!" Janira says, almost crypticlly, but pointedly in response to the awkward interaction between Shuo and Nbu T'ka, and Luthor. The unquenchable smile on her face beams through, clearly showing that she was teaching, not admonishing.

Loving the interactions folks - keep it up!

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

Nbu T'ka becomes almost frightful at Kajar's mention of all the beasts in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts.

"D-d-did he just *squawk* say m-m-minotaurs plural?!?!" Nbu T'ka says to no-one in particular. He looks on horrified as Janira and the other Pathfinders continue to chat happily about the excitement of adventure, "Th-th-this exploring *squawk* is going to be harder than I *squawk* expected!"

Despite his fear, Nbu T'ka is still ready and willing to depart. :-)

Grand Lodge

male NG Half-orc Ranger (skirmisher) 1 |HP: 13/13| AC: 17 (13 tch, 14 fl) | CMB: +3, CMD 17, (14 fl) | F: +4, R +4, W +1 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM +1| | Speed 30 ft | Track +1, wild empathy -1, favored enemy humanoid (humans) +2 | Active conditions: None.

"Nella, my pack is full of odds and ends, I can't think of anything else I need," Kajar replies, slinging his pack back onto the table. He spreads his hand out towards the backpack and says to Nella and his fellow initiates,

"See these hooks, loops, and straps, as well as the smaller pockets? Please use them, I'd be happy to help with your gear. I think if you stow it outside the pack, it would be easier for you to get at your items, and of course anything delicate like parchment can go inside the main compartment."

Kajar smiles wide. Is it me, or is that halfling's exuberance more than simple charm? I haven't felt this excited since we came to Absalom...

Kajar is carrying a Light load and can take A LOT of stuff for Nella and anyone else, so long as that's OK w/GM_PapaSteve


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

"Let me take a look at your packs. Hrmm, yes, Rope is good. Every adventurer needs some. You never know when you will need it, but you will always wish you had it if you don't! Speaking of things you always need... hrmmm... no, no..." Janira purses her lips looking at her students collection of gear.

"I see only Nbu T'ka has acquired some alchemical goodies. This is likely because none of you have been attacked by a swarm of insects. And by swarm I mean numbers so large as to take the skin off of a yak in seconds." Janira delivers this statement deadpan, and deep in thought, oblivious to the Tengu's sudden nervousness at the mention of the dangers ahead.

With a flip and a flourish, Janira closes her journal and stuffs it easily into her bag, then hoists the bag onto her shoulders. ”There isn’t a moment to lose, shall we be off? We can swing by a certain shop I know on the way out of the city if you want to pick anything else up.” she gestures to the door and winks. Feel free to spend any extra money you have as we mentioned before. Janira is hinting that you may want things like alchemist fire, etc...

The bubbly Halfling leads the intrepid pathfinder hopefuls through Absalom, the magnificent city at the center of the world, swiftly. As they reach the outskirts of the city and beyond, Janira is constantly talking, referencing lecture topics from the initiates time with the master of scrolls, taking time to point out abandoned siege towers, and even a few of the flowers and fauna she had the pleasure of documenting for her confirmation. Her perkiness seems to translate to her walking pace, as despite her delight in sharing the knowledge, she doesn’t let the pathfinders slow in the least as they march through the first day without incident.

Feel free to take a moment to continue to interact with each other on the trip, ask questions, campfire conversation, etc. A great way to do this is to put an OOC header above the portion of you post that happens during this time, and then putting another OOC header to react to what happens next…

On the following morning, Janira is up bright and early, giving new meaning to bright eyed and bushy tailed. Her infectious optimism and joy are clearly no ploy as she cleans up her small campsite and hurries the pathfinders to do the same. In no time the group is marching along again.

As the party progresses deeper into the forest, the trees towering overhead begin to shield most of what remains of the day’s sun and the vegetation beneath grows denser. Janira pauses a moment and pulls out an intricate silver compass emblazoned with the Pathfinder Society logo: the Glyph of the Open Road.

“I received this wayfinder when I successfully completed my Confirmation. Should we be successful on our journey, you will get your own as well.” She flips open the device and holds it in front of her; the initials J. L. are engraved into the inside of the device’s lid. After studying the compass inside for a moment, she remarks, “We’re on the right path. We need to keep heading northwest past those large rocks up ahead.”

The forest is thick and old where the group has made it to. Most of the trees in this section of the forest have trunks that would take 3 or more of the pathfinders to reach around. Viney bushes and small trees gnarl together in patches, slowing the progress down as the group either fights through, or simply weaves around them. A large rock outcropping to the east rises nearly twenty feet above the forest floor, and a small sinkhole to the northwest drops off sharply, descending to the ground easily ten feet below.

As the pathfinders pause to catch both their breath and their bearings, the sound of a tree falling can be heard nearby. It crackles and groans before hitting the forest floor with a WHOOOMFFF sound. Birds screech and take to flight while small critters dart through the underbrush from the startling noise.

Ok, Serious props to all the GMs who have ever GMd a game for me. I always appreciate it, but I didn't appreciate it until I just spent an hour and a half on this, and I still don't have everything I wanted together. We will have to leave you on this cliffhanger until tomorrow morning. Keep up the great work!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

Just to remember that Fei (my owl animal companion) constantly watches for danger. She has Perception +14.

Grand Lodge

male NG Half-orc Ranger (skirmisher) 1 |HP: 13/13| AC: 17 (13 tch, 14 fl) | CMB: +3, CMD 17, (14 fl) | F: +4, R +4, W +1 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM +1| | Speed 30 ft | Track +1, wild empathy -1, favored enemy humanoid (humans) +2 | Active conditions: None.
Nbu T'ka wrote:

Nbu T'ka becomes almost frightful at Kajar's mention of all the beasts in the foothills of the Kortos Mounts.

"D-d-did he just *squawk* say m-m-minotaurs plural?!?!" Nbu T'ka says to no-one in particular. He looks on horrified as Janira and the other Pathfinders continue to chat happily about the excitement of adventure, "Th-th-this exploring *squawk* is going to be harder than I *squawk* expected!"

Despite his fear, Nbu T'ka is still ready and willing to depart. :-)

"Nbu T'ka, sand? Wait, no sand. OK, Just Nbu T'ka, some advice- never argue with a minotaur. RUN! Or, fly, I guess. Can you fly? I'd never seen... tengu? Not until I came to Absalom.

Formatting is new for me :) - should this be bold or ooc code? Thanks!

Silver Crusade

HP: 67/67 l AC: 12, T 12, FF 10 l CMD 18 l F +10, R +6, W +12 l Adoration (7/7), Channel Energy (5/5), Clarifying Channel (1/1), Inspired (1/1), Resistant Touch (7/7) l L1: 4/5, D1: 1/1, L2: 4/4, D2: 1/1, L3: 3/4, D3: 1/1, L4: 3/3, D4: 0/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +4
Skills:
Craft: Musical Instruments +11, Diplomacy +13, Heal +11, Kn. Arcana +5, Kn. History +6, Kn. Planes +8, Kn. Religion +12, Linguistics +7, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +5
Female NG Human Cleric (Ecclesitheurge) 8 l Active Conditions:

Looks like the first part of your post should be bolded since you're actually talking to Nbu, right? The second part about the formatting and your question is in ooc code, which is appropriate :)

BEFORE DEPARTURE

"Oh, I've actually got a little something too!" Nella digs into her pack for a moment and pulls out a small corked bottle, waving it around cheerfully. "Alchemist's fire! Never know when you might run across something that won't take 'No' for an answer, but will take fire. I've only got the one, but I think I have just enough to buy one more bottle," she comments as she carefully stows the bottle back into her pack.

As they exit the tavern and make their way through Absalom, the priestess takes the time to quickly duck into the small, dusty shop that Janira points out to them and soon emerges with a second corked bottle identical to the one that she was waving around earlier. "Okay, ready to go!"

DAY ONE

Having never truly done much traveling until her trip from Magnimar to Absalom, Nella greatly enjoys their first day of traveling, though she does sometimes find herself hard-pressed to both keep up with Janira's pace as well as her conversation.

"I never knew that walking and talking at the same time could take so much energy," she pants at one point. "Clearly I need to stop with the desserts and start going on morning walks!" Glancing over to Shuo and Kajar, she notices that they seem to be having a much easier time of things. "You two seem like you're at home out here in the wilderness. Any other tips for a struggling newbie?"

DAY TWO

Startled by the sudden crash of the tree nearby, Nella spins towards the sound. "Okay, that was a tree, right? I hope it's normal for trees to just fall on their own..." she whispers, looking around.

Perception (Untrained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Nella will buy a second flask of alchemist's fire, which will eat up most of what's left of her funds. Unless it's easier for the GM to list them in another manner, I've got her consumables listed under a spoiler tab on her profile.

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Human (Varisian) Hydrokineticist 11 | HP: 123/123(33NL)| AC: 36( 20Tch, 29 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 29 | F: +14, R: +17, W: +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +15, SM: +1 | Speed 40ft, Swim 20ft | Burn: 3/7 |Active conditions: 2 Burn into Shroud of Water(+2 AC), 1 Burn into Kinetic Form, Elemental Overflow(+3Hit, +6DMG, +2Con, +2Dex, 15% Fortification)

Lissa quickly and efficiently finishes repacking her travel pack and all but leaps to follow Janira. "Let's go! The road calls us!"she exclaims as the party leaves the Wounded Wisp.

I've been in Absolom for too long. Lissa muses as the entourage begins it's travel into the Kortosan wilds. I shouldn't be this excited about getting onto the road, but I might as well take advantage of it.

Janira's enthusiasm is farther echoed by Lissa. Road travel such as this is as natural to the young Varisian as breathing. And while the structures are new to her, she's at least acquianted with some of the plants.

What doesn't translate over, however, is waking up. Lissa sleeps the sleep of the dead, and has to be nudged awake more then once. As such, she's probably the last one actually ready in the morning. However, it doesn't take her too long to whirl back to the pace that she was at the day before.

The sound of the tree falling, however, causes Lissa to jump and draw a dagger with one hand, while starting to summon an orb of water with the other. "That was just a tree, right?"

Nella had the right idea. Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Silver Crusade

Male CG Human (“Chelaxian”) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish/Sound Striker) 1, Bloodrager (Urban Bloodrager) 1 | HP: 10/18| AC: 16(18) (13(15) Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15(17) | F: +3, R: +5(+7), W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Bardic Performance: 4/6, Urban Bloodrage 2/5 | Spells: 1st 1/2| Active conditions: bloodrage +4 dex, dance

@Nbu T'ka - Before leaving

"I'm sorry Nbu T'ka, i meant no offence. I guess i just need to get used to other cultures having different ways to name themselves." he thinks for a second then continues. "Do Tengu from where you are from have anything that resembles a surname or family name?"

During Travel

Luthor finds the start of the journey tough going, but quickly gets used to the pace.

I'm glad for the physical training i went through at the temple. If i was less fit i may be panting like Nella! he chuckles to himself at Nella's comment.

"Don't worry Nella, i'm sure that by the end of our expedition we'll all be hardened travellers just like Shuo and Kajar."

After the WHOOOMFFF

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

"I'm not a wilderness expert, but i'm pretty sure most trees don't just spontaneously fall over on their own. What could have made it fall over?" Luthor tries not to think of the beasts that Kajar mentioned earlier, but the harder he tries the more he thinks of them.

How big are centaurs...? Do harpies build nests in trees...? Minotaurs are big and strong enough to knock over a tree... right?

His mind wanders as he turns to his allies hoping for reassurance.

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8
GM_PapaSteve wrote:
Ok, Serious props to all the GMs who have ever GMd a game for me. I always appreciate it, but I didn't appreciate it until I just spent an hour and a half on this, and I still don't have everything I wanted together.

Dude, that last post was awesome. You're doing a great job! Also, glad you're getting an insight into my world. :-P

Before leaving...

Luthor Volandis of Absolom wrote:
"Do Tengu from where you are from have anything that resembles a surname or family name?"

"Yes," says Nbu T'ka sadly. He closes his eyes, his feathers begin to ruffle all along his body and he begins a staccato whistling. Is this how birds cry?

Catching our breath...

WHOOOMFFF

Nbu T'ka's feathers stand on end and he freezes, stock still, one foot still mid-stride. His eyes look frantically back and forth, up and down. Eventually, he needs to move his head to look side to side and gradually does so...

Lissa Villasani wrote:
"That was just a tree, right?"

"Yes, *squawk*, I'm sure it was," Nbu T'ka seems relieved to have an alternative explanation, "I was *squawk* told stories of trees falling in the woods before. The *squawk* question asked of me was 'if they fall when no-one is around to hear them, do they make any sound?'"

WHOOOMFFF

Nbu shakes and shudders. "Tell me, Lissa, do you think this tree is not used to an audience and simply..."

WHOOOMFFF

"*SQUAWK*... does not know how it is supposed to sound?"

Luthor Volandis of Absolom wrote:
"What could have made it fall over?"

Nbu T'ka wracks his brain for something smaller than a minotaur that could fell a tree. "Termites!" he cries after a pause, "Termites can *squawk* make a tree fall over. And they are tasty, too. You have to be careful to *squawk* crunch them quickly, though, or they bite your tongue. Of course, I'm not sure any of you would *squawk* appreciate them. It is a lot of work for not a lot of meat."

Silver Crusade

Male CG Human (“Chelaxian”) Bard (Dawnflower Dervish/Sound Striker) 1, Bloodrager (Urban Bloodrager) 1 | HP: 10/18| AC: 16(18) (13(15) Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15(17) | F: +3, R: +5(+7), W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5, SM: +0 | Speed 40ft | Bardic Performance: 4/6, Urban Bloodrage 2/5 | Spells: 1st 1/2| Active conditions: bloodrage +4 dex, dance
Nbu T'ka wrote:
"Termites!" he cries after a pause, "Termites can *squawk* make a tree fall over. And they are tasty, too. You have to be careful to *squawk* crunch them quickly, though, or they bite your tongue. Of course, I'm not sure any of you would *squawk* appreciate them. It is a lot of work for not a lot of meat."

Luthor thinks about this statement, but it doesn't really help to settle his nerves.

"Those must be some REALLY hungry termites!

Worried at the prospect of being caught unarmed, Luthor grabs the grip of his scimitar in the scabbard at his belt while muttering a prayer to Sarenrae.

"Dawnflower, let your light guide us through the shadows of the unknown"

With the reassuring grip of his scimitar and a prayer on is his lips, Luthor feels much more prepared.

I don't want to say Luthor draws his weapon, but i think that's a good compromise and shows that he's really unsure of himself when out of the city.

Grand Lodge

Male LN Human (Tian-Shu) Hunter 1 | HP: 10/10| AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: +2, CMD: 15 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +5 | Perc: +6, SM +7 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 2/2| Active conditions: None.

During first day travel

As the party travels, Shuo, used to long travels in Tian-Xia, tries to find water and food while they walk.

Survival (DC 10): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

He manages to find, but only enough for himself. So he does not spent his trail rations during day one

WHOOOMFFF

Hearing the noise of the 'fallen tree' Shuo draws his bow and prepares an arrow in such a fluid movement that looks like he did not even think while doing it.

"Prepare yourselves! The porcupine survives not because he has spines, but because he readies them."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

"Fei wa, o k@&$nn kensaku shimasu."

Tien:
"Fei, search for danger."


Male LN dwarf cleric (forgemaster) of Torag 3 | HP: 22/30| AC: 20 (11 Tch, 19 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 15 | F: +7, R: +2, W: +6 | Init: +1 | Perc: +6, SM +9 | Speed 20 ft. | Spells: 2nd - 3/3, 1st - 1/4 | Active conditions: none.

Fei flies high in the woods and starts to look for danger. If she finds anything threatening she is instructed to give a long owl call.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
male NG Half-orc Ranger (skirmisher) 1 |HP: 13/13| AC: 17 (13 tch, 14 fl) | CMB: +3, CMD 17, (14 fl) | F: +4, R +4, W +1 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5, SM +1| | Speed 30 ft | Track +1, wild empathy -1, favored enemy humanoid (humans) +2 | Active conditions: None.
Luthor Volandis of Absolom wrote:
Nbu T'ka wrote:
"Termites!" he cries after a pause, "Termites can *squawk* make a tree fall over. And they are tasty, too. You have to be careful to *squawk* crunch them quickly, though, or they bite your tongue. Of course, I'm not sure any of you would *squawk* appreciate them. It is a lot of work for not a lot of meat."

Luthor thinks about this statement, but it doesn't really help to settle his nerves.

"Those must be some REALLY hungry termites!

Worried at the prospect of being caught unarmed, Luthor grabs the grip of his scimitar in the scabbard at his belt while muttering a prayer to Sarenrae.

"Dawnflower, let your light guide us through the shadows of the unknown"

With the reassuring grip of his scimitar and a prayer on is his lips, Luthor feels much more prepared.

WHOOOMFFF

Kajar's nostrils flare, his eyes scan the underbrush, a smile cracking his lips.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 = 14 Is the tree falling likely natural? (If that can be deduced w/ a skill check.)

"Sometimes, trees happen," he says.

"Just Nbu T'ka, perhaps termites, or old age, or lightning felled that tree. I believe we are safe, though. If it were meant for us, we'd know." Kajar pauses a moment to consider wild flowers and berries growing trailside.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

He nods to Luthor. "Master Luthor, you are right to reach for your sword, we should all stay alert. Bandits are more likely than harpies, though, as we are still closer to Absalom than the Kortos Mounts."

I fudged that last geographic part; Kajar is very confident in the moment because the future is, to him, an unknown he cannot process. I threw in the Skill checks to get some coding practice in. Yay!

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Human (Varisian) Hydrokineticist 11 | HP: 123/123(33NL)| AC: 36( 20Tch, 29 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 29 | F: +14, R: +17, W: +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +15, SM: +1 | Speed 40ft, Swim 20ft | Burn: 3/7 |Active conditions: 2 Burn into Shroud of Water(+2 AC), 1 Burn into Kinetic Form, Elemental Overflow(+3Hit, +6DMG, +2Con, +2Dex, 15% Fortification)

Was the second and third WHOOMFF in Nbu T'ka's post the sounds of additional trees falling? My reaction sorta depends on knowing that.


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

No - Only one tree falling - next post coming soon!


Male Human (Michigander) GM/1 Tactical - Where on Golarion - CLW Charges: 0

The pathfinders all look around on edge from the sound. Immediately following the massive crash of the tree, which Kajar is sure sounded as natural as a tree falling in the forest might sound, a flurry of activity erupts through the underbrush. The assembled group immediately thinks it is the small critters that are running away from the startling noise, but think twice once the screeching sound of Fei pierces the air.

The flurry begins to sound like a small, high pitched buzz until it becomes clear that the sound is not normal. All at once two black, writhing masses form practically in front of the assembled group's eyes, spiders crawling on top of spiders in a pile so high it would seem to engulf anyone who got to close.

This is a swarm of diminutive spiders - Knowledge (Nature) rolls to find out more! And another high five to Damien for the combat table code, if you like it, thank him!

Initiative rolls:

Kajar initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Lissa initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Luthor initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Nbu T'ka initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Nella initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Shuo initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Spider Swarms: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Next up: Kajar, Shuo, Lissa, Luthor, Nella .

Combat table:

<= ! -- Means you're up!

Goodies:

Baddies:

Active Global Conditions: None.

Individual Conditions: None.

Round 1:

  • Kajar <= !
  • Shuo<= !
  • Lissa<= !
  • Luthor<= !
  • Nella<= !
  • Spider Swarms
  • Nbu T’ka

Liberty's Edge

Female CG Human (Varisian) Hydrokineticist 11 | HP: 123/123(33NL)| AC: 36( 20Tch, 29 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 29 | F: +14, R: +17, W: +7 | Init: +9 | Perc: +15, SM: +1 | Speed 40ft, Swim 20ft | Burn: 3/7 |Active conditions: 2 Burn into Shroud of Water(+2 AC), 1 Burn into Kinetic Form, Elemental Overflow(+3Hit, +6DMG, +2Con, +2Dex, 15% Fortification)

Knowledge(nature): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Lissa winces when she sees the pair of swarms. "Oh, this is a good way to start," she mutters under her breath. Then, against all better judgement, She takes a step toward the swarm in the trees,(5 foot step east toward Luthor)then blasts a spray of water at that swarm, only to spray very wide, which causes Lissa to start swearing.

Kinetic Blast, Point Blank: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 1 = 6
Kinetic Blast damage, Point Blank: 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 1 = 11

For the love of all that is holy..... this dice roller hates me. In any case, if I roll above a 5 on an attack in this combat, Kinetic Blasts do full damage to swarms.

Dark Archive

Male Tengu Level 2, #-8

Normally Nbu T'ka is delighted at the site of food... but swarms of spiders were another issue entirely. He steels himself, though, his training setting in. Neither the Pathfinders nor the monks raised cowards. Standing one's ground is different from not being afraid though.

"*Squawk* Good luck everyone, and be careful..." Nbu T'ka tries to sound encouraging.

1 to 50 of 265 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM_PapaSteve's The Confirmation for PbP Newbies All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.