GM Nayr's Carrion Crown AP

Game Master Nayr Trebrot

Lepidstadt

Ustalav

Vorkstag and Grine's

The Courthouse

Vorkstag and Grine basement

Crit generator


3,401 to 3,450 of 3,516 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>

Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

"Easy my friend.... I realize patience on these circumstances is difficult, but patience is the best course."


Can't believe you hit him from there...

Gur moves and lets his axe fly, end over end, to slam into the retreating Grine. The weight of the axe crushes bone and splits skin, slamming him against the far wall.

This is a tough one, but I'm going to say that he loses his grip and has to perform a climb check to catch himself while falling. The DC is stupid high, but he has a huge mod due to his own ability and the potion...and he falls

Climb check: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (8) + 22 = 30

The axe slams Grine against the wall, battering his body, and he falls from the ceiling high above to the floor of the wide open vat room. He does not get up.

Fall damage: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 4) = 9

We can go out of combat rounds with no visible enemies, unless you'd like to stop the fleeing workers, who are now climbing the ladder up. As a note...they're about to run right into Daniel, who is out of sorts from being sick.


Human Inspired Blade 1 Empiricist 4 (Current HP:42/36; Current AC:23 T:15; FF:18 ) | ; Remaining Panache: 5/5; Inspiration: 5/5; Init:+7)

Leeoli follows in all haste.


Silas, Smaranda, and Cassidia:
Smaranda eyes Cassidia and Charlie both during the exchange, but can see no signs of either side being dishonest.

Charlie grumbles, and shakes his head from side to side. Pash...ense. Patience...know this word. Charlie here - patience all time! How long patience?


Human Inspired Blade 1 Empiricist 4 (Current HP:42/36; Current AC:23 T:15; FF:18 ) | ; Remaining Panache: 5/5; Inspiration: 5/5; Init:+7)

Leeoli stops short, amazed as the axe flew and didn't clang uselessly, but in fact made for quite the heroic scene, out of a carnival act really. OK Gur. Welcome to the team. Don't do that to me.


Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

"Don't do anything to deserve it." Gur huffs back as he climbs down to find his flung axe.


Female Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 5 | Initiative +8 | Perception +13 | Fort +7 Ref+5 Will+8 | HP 45 AC 20

Cassidia frowns a little but isn't too surprised the Beast doesn't really want to talk to them - short of freeing it, she wasn't sure what she could say that would help convince the beast of their sincerity.

Mentally cursing her lack of social skills she attempts one last line of questioning that she hopes will give them something.

"Charlie - someone gave you a name. Someone must be missing you. Who? Who would we speak to? Can they help us to help you?" She hopes she sounds as sincere as she intends.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Gur moves down to the lower level to retrieve his axe, and finds that the unfortunate Grine is still alive...barely. He wheezes from where he lays, contorted at an odd angle. His back is most certainly broken, among other things. The gaping wound where the axe hit him continues to bleed out into a huge puddle about him.

As you near the body, you're fairly well convinced that this small fellow is not a gnome or halfling, as you may have thought.

DC14 knowledge local:
You can see now that this man is actually a dark creeper, a small, pale race of humanoid dark folk. They are known for their own particular brand of mayhem.


Questioning the Beast:
Charlie lifts his head, and seems to study you, then shakes his head and lowers it. Doo-ra...she call me Charlie. I'm Charlie now! He turns his hideous visage on everyone in turn, as if challenging them to cry foul. Doo-ra and men defend me...they say...they know, that I didn't do it!

The guard seems more than a bit unnerved, and he leans in. [b]So...are you going to be done soon? I don't plan on spending all night down here with...that.


Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

"Somebody better get down here. He is still breathing and I don't want him dead." Gur bellows at his fellows.


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

To the guard:

"My son, in the future, when your soul comes before Pharasma for judgement, you do not wish impatience to be the defining characteristic of your life."

To Charlie:

"I understand that all of this is unfair, but we will help to defend you and make sure that your life is better in the future."


Questioning the Beast:
The guard seems a bit taken aback by your lecturing, but swallows back his retort. He looks at Smaranda as if to say "Can't you do something about these people?"

Does Smaranda respond in any way?

Charlie seems to consider that, and nods his big head. Charlie need help...need them understand.


Dhampir Monk (Spirit Master) 5 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 16 T:16 FF:13 | F +5, R +6, W +3 (+2 vs. necromancy, disease and mind-affecting effects) | Init +4, Per +10 (darkvision) | CMD 26

Smaranda returns an entirely blank expression as she stands with her back to a wall, keeping everyone in her sight.

Poor Charlie, he wanted the people to understand that he was innocent. Even if they believed it, they wouldn't care. Charlie was too different, too frightening for them to consider anything other than a vicious beast. Although, these two who were here, and this "Doora" that Charlie spoke of, perhaps...

To Silas, she whispers: "What do you know?"


HP 43/43 | AC (18) 16 T 11 FF (17) 15 | F+6 R+6 W+2 | Init +1 Perc +8 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Mutagen 0/1 | Extracts 2nd 2/3 1st 3/5 | Spontaneous Healing 1/2 | 50% chance to negate crits | Loot Sheet

"I haven't any pharmacons," Rufus frets as he climbs down. He examines the egregious wounds. "I can try to stem the blood loss, but Zazaria's power is needed here." Rufus rips a piece of cloth from Grine's own clothes, soaking it with a bit of cloying antiseptic before pressing it against the man's body.

Heal DC 15 to stop bleed: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Human Inspired Blade 1 Empiricist 4 (Current HP:42/36; Current AC:23 T:15; FF:18 ) | ; Remaining Panache: 5/5; Inspiration: 5/5; Init:+7)

Leeoli stands back and watches them work. If you didn't want to kill him, you could have refrained from throwing an axe. Leeoli says drily.


As Rufus tends to the fallen creature, Zazaria walks over, a strip of cloth still over her mouth and nose to fight the stench. She closes her eyes as she calls upon the power of her goddess. Immediately, Grine's wounds begin to stitch back together.

Channel: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 4) = 15

She can get everyone in that

Grine's ragged breathing steadies slightly, and eye opens, rapidly blinking away blood that coats his face from where it splattered when his body nearly ruptured.


Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

"Fear not, I do not plan on executing you today. Your partner is dead and we will be searching your building for evidence of your crimes. You will be turned over to the councilors to stand trial. Anything you want to say?" Gur waits for the little man to speak.


Grine spits blood, then hisses out his words. Trial? For what? You broke into our place of business, and we merely protected ourselves. You have no right that I've seen to search anything, or even be here at all!. His eyes narrow. You're the ones here to defend that creature aren't you? That thing deserves to burn; it has been a terror to these people for years, and you'd set it free. Who is the real criminal here, orc?


Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

Gur sighs, "Never wants to do it the easy way. Anyone want to ask something before I knock him back out?"


Silas, Cassidia, Smaranda:
As you work out this enigma of the Beast and his predicament, you hear some shouting from above. It sounds like one of the guards. I dunno! They want the creature...I dunno who's leadin' 'em, but there's a bunch of em!


Dhampir Monk (Spirit Master) 5 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 16 T:16 FF:13 | F +5, R +6, W +3 (+2 vs. necromancy, disease and mind-affecting effects) | Init +4, Per +10 (darkvision) | CMD 26

Smaranda tenses and glances at the man and woman talking to Charlie. Now she would see whether or not they truly meant to help him, or if they were all talk. She pads towards the stairs leading up, taking position in such a way that she would be hidden from anyone coming down.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


HP 43/43 | AC (18) 16 T 11 FF (17) 15 | F+6 R+6 W+2 | Init +1 Perc +8 | CMB +7 CMD 18 | Mutagen 0/1 | Extracts 2nd 2/3 1st 3/5 | Spontaneous Healing 1/2 | 50% chance to negate crits | Loot Sheet
GM Nayr wrote:
Rufus nimbly dances about the rim of the vat to the other side, and runs through one of the creatures, killing it instantly. The creature falls down the outside of the vat, skimming its face along the surface of it as it goes. It's mask flies off, and you see a face of scaly, pockmarked skin and a mouth of crooked teeth and yellowed tusks jutting out.

Rufus tsks. "Interesting that you mention your business. We entered upon reasonable suspicion of illegal alchemical activities. I suppose the 'men' who work over your vats would be willing to speak of the nature of your business, and of their wages and working conditions? Assuming they can speak at all, what with their massive tusks."


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

"Sounds like trouble." Silas says to Cassidia.

"Let's clear out of here and go upstairs to see what's happening."

Turning to the guard with them he says:

"Let's go man, it sounds like there's a disturbance upstairs."


Female Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 5 | Initiative +8 | Perception +13 | Fort +7 Ref+5 Will+8 | HP 45 AC 20

A woman named Doo-ra. It wasn't much, but it was something for them to work with and perhaps get a return visit to the Barrister for resources. At the sound of commotion upstairs she frowns and turns to Charlie, giving the Beast a small polite bow.

"Thankyou, Charlie. We will return." She hopes that it will be enough to placate poor Charlie as she moves to Silas's side, looking about for where the other stranger had gone - and where they were going.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

Regardless, the commotion above them had her main focus, and she nods in agreement with Silas. "Sounds like they're here about us," she says and follows with a weary sigh. "I hope this doesn't lead to violence."


Human Inspired Blade 1 Empiricist 4 (Current HP:42/36; Current AC:23 T:15; FF:18 ) | ; Remaining Panache: 5/5; Inspiration: 5/5; Init:+7)

The problem with the situation, Leeoli cannot help but feel, was the alchemist was probably correct. We WERE working outside of the law, and perhaps we did commit murder against innocents. Their intrusion was based upon a hunch concerning an errant bottle of bleach, and a few scribbled notes...

Leeoli mentally prepares himself for a life on the run, or in prison. In any case, the Maleye family would not be pleased.


Grine narrows his eyes at Rufus, and can't help but glance at the retreating figures. You hear an ominous growl and figure that they've just now run into the massive tiger that has been sickened by the terrible smell and is now quite surly. Dura heads that way, calling up. Daniel, don't hurt them! Don't let them past either!

Grine snorts. So we hire some...unusual employees...they need work too! The way I see it, what we do here is a good thing - employing the unemployable. I'm sure that's the way our... He looks up to where Vorkstag's headless body still lays. ...my friends in the council would see it. What do you say we ask them?

He has more than a little edge to his voice, as if he's daring you.


Trouble at the courthouse:
The guard lets out a grunt, no doubt not appreciating being told to do the job he's actually employed to do. He turns and leads you up the stairs.

When you reach the top, you can see that the two guards from outside have retreated into this foyer, and the man who had been sitting behind the desk is standing now, gesturing at the door. ...not doing any good in here, you need to tell them to go home! One of the guards from outside is an older man, and he looks down upon the younger man and shakes his head. Not until they cool down...or you send that creature downstairs out there. I'm not dyin' for its sake...thing shoulda' been burned already anyway!

The guard that came up with you takes a position by the stair, watching the scene with confusion.


Female Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 5 | Initiative +8 | Perception +13 | Fort +7 Ref+5 Will+8 | HP 45 AC 20

Cassidia quickly does a headcount of the guards as she pieces together what she can from the conversation happening as they arrive - theories form, none of them good.

She approaches the older guard with an air of authority and asks "What's the problem?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

Gur looks to his friends, stubborn faith in his judgement allowing no quarter. He strikes out against the little man to shut him up and make him easier to carry, wishing he had a better way he could trust to put an alchemist down. With all the things he had seen so far, he was not taking any chances. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 Non-lethal: 1d12 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18

"Ok, let's go then. Room by room collect what evidence we need and then we head to the court. With all the misbegotten creatures around, I would not be surprised if we run into the whatever they used to frame Charlie chained up." Gur lifts the limp form of the little man and heads to check out the area down here before moving to check the upper areas.


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

Silas strides up from the basement behind Cassidia looking confident.

He waits for the guards to answer the inquisitor's question.


Gur thunks Grine on the head, and the fellow's eyes cross and he slumps back down into oblivion. Hefting the man's small body is little trouble for the big orc, and you head to the East to explore more of this odd factory.

The door to the east is locked, and is fairly sturdy...though perhaps not much of a deterrent to Gur.


Trouble at the courthouse:
The older guard looks Cassidia up and down and, seemingly unimpressed, turns to the other guard, seeming to respond to both of you. Got a damn mob outside - people callin' for the Beast's head. I can't even get a runner past 'em to get some help. I'm sayin' we clear out and let 'em in!


Dhampir Monk (Spirit Master) 5 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 16 T:16 FF:13 | F +5, R +6, W +3 (+2 vs. necromancy, disease and mind-affecting effects) | Init +4, Per +10 (darkvision) | CMD 26

Courthouse:
A mob. Outside. Were they here for the B- for Charlie, or were they here for her? Maybe both. And here she was, trapped, with no way out. She had to get out, run, coming into the city was a mistake, they'll see her and hate her and rip her apart, pelt her with stones, burn her, hurt her, kill her.

Smaranda starts inching backwards, away from the front door, until her back bumps into a wall. The amulet bumps softly against her chest and her head clears a little. She shakes it, gritting her teeth and balling her hands into fists. She cannot run forever. And she said she would help Charlie. She tilts her neck to one side, then the other, the neck vertebrae cracking audibly. Takes a deep breath in. Stillness. She lets it out.

Let the come. She's ready for them.


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

"Stand firm man." Silas tells the nervous guard. "We all have our duty here."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Courthouse:
The guard who had been downstairs with you looks askance at Smaranda, seeing her back away. He seems a bit less confident as he looks back to the argument in the center of the room.

The older guard seems to consider Silas, then remembers who you are. Ah, right....you're with the defense, eh? So then, sounds like yer volunteering. My duty doesn't include bein' burnt with that thing downstairs...we shouldn't even have it here.

So then, big man, why dontcha' go and try your own luck out there...cause I ain't going back out.

For diplomacy checks, he's treated as unfriendly since you're on the defense. He'd be indifferent if you were with the prosecution.


Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

I'm guessing the keys are either on this one or the dead one up top.

Gur places the unconscious man down. "Search him for keys, I will be right back." Gur goes and retrieves the other body and searches it for keys as well.


Dhampir Monk (Spirit Master) 5 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 16 T:16 FF:13 | F +5, R +6, W +3 (+2 vs. necromancy, disease and mind-affecting effects) | Init +4, Per +10 (darkvision) | CMD 26

Courthouse:
The pale girl squares her shoulders and moves to stand next to Silas, staring at the guard. "Do you think they'll ask which team you're on?"

Diplomacy aid: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (6) - 4 = 2


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

Maybe you scarier people should try to intimidate them into doing their jobs. That might work better than a priest appealing to their better natures.


Female Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 5 | Initiative +8 | Perception +13 | Fort +7 Ref+5 Will+8 | HP 45 AC 20

"I don't think it'll matter." Cassidia answers with a small sigh as she scrutinizes the older guard. She doesn't have a lot of faith that he'll help them, but there was no reason not to channel the guard's fears to better purposes.

"Is it not your duty to keep the peace? They're scared civilians, not an enemy army - stand your ground and stare them down." She berates the assembled guardsmen as if they were fresh recruits, hoping to use their pride against them if nothing else.

Regardless of how the guards react to their words, she reaches into her cloak and pulls out a worn but well cared for metal religious icon - an ankh of Sarenrae. She makes sure it sits prominently on her person and eyes the entrance of the prison - She can't hear the assembled citizens, which she hopes means that the mob isn't as large as feared.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

Brother Silas's eyes widen at how fierce Cassidia sounds.


Sorting through the headless corpse and the unconscious man, you do indeed fine keys on Grine. You also find the following:

Grine:
1 potion (magical)
1 vial
masterwork handaxe
masterwork throwing axes (2)
disguise kit
holy symbol
5 doses of black liquid
spell component pouch
thieve's tools

Vorkstag:
5 potions (magical)
Want (magical)
masterwork heavy mace
dust (magical) - 2 doses
alchemist's kit
formula book
Keys shown above
5 doses of liquid - 2 black, 2 blue, 1 silver

DC10 perception:
As you sift through the remains of the headless corpse, you note some scars on his shoulder - looks like from the bite of a very large mouth...maybe some type of crocodile or alligator?


Human Inspired Blade 1 Empiricist 4 (Current HP:42/36; Current AC:23 T:15; FF:18 ) | ; Remaining Panache: 5/5; Inspiration: 5/5; Init:+7)

Might as well compound murder with theft. Clearly Leeoli feels uncomfortable with the whole endeavor, but there was no backing away from it now. Best thing to do is hope their hunch was correct. He searches the bodies looking for clues and other nifty items.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
SpellCraft Potion: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 9 + (1) = 16
SpellCraft Vial: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 9 + (2) = 14
SpellCraft Vorstag potion 1: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (16) + 9 + (1) = 26
SpellCraft Vorstag potion 2: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 9 + (6) = 28
SpellCraft Vorstag potion 3: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (12) + 9 + (3) = 24
SpellCraft Vorstag potion 4: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 9 + (1) = 23
SpellCraft Vorstag Wand 5: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (14) + 9 + (5) = 28
SpellCraft Vorstag Dust 5: 1d20 + 9 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 9 + (1) = 14

For the vials/doses is it an alchemy check?


Orc Fighter(Twohanded Fighter) 5 (HP:32/59; AC:21 T:11; FF:20 ) | ;Init:+1)

As soon as he has the keys, Gur opens the door after testing them against the lock.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 4


Courthouse:
The guardsman looks at Smaranda with a smirk of denial, not even wasting time to voice his objection to her comment. He looks about to berate her, but Cassidia's voice cuts through sharply, like a whip.

Well now, hold on, I.... Cassidia's shift in stance causes him to flinch, and he takes a slight step back. He swallows hard, and sighs. Fine...I'll go out and talk to them, but...seein' as yer the holy type, yer coming with me. They'll respect that at least. Got it?


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

"Of course, follow me." Silas says.

He shifts his shoulders to settle his plate armor, hefts his mace, and strides confidently out to face the mob.


Female Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 5 | Initiative +8 | Perception +13 | Fort +7 Ref+5 Will+8 | HP 45 AC 20

"Together." Cassidia agrees with the guardsman as she wraps her hand around the hilt of her sword and pauses briefly, oddly hesitant, before following Silas's example and drawing her blade.

Her expression becomes unreadable again as she turns to Smaranda. "Come. We do this together." She says before marching to confront the mob outside.


Dhampir Monk (Spirit Master) 5 | HP: 39/39 | AC: 16 T:16 FF:13 | F +5, R +6, W +3 (+2 vs. necromancy, disease and mind-affecting effects) | Init +4, Per +10 (darkvision) | CMD 26

The two strangers' confidence helps Smaranda push past her fear and she follows them outside, keeping to the edge of the group and a little to the back, the hood of her cloak drawn low over her face. It would not be good to give the mob another reason to storm the courthouse.

She has no weapons to draw, but she takes a fighting stance - light on her feet, knees bent, her left shoulder forward as she turns her torso to present a smaller target.


Courthouse:
You exit out of the front doors after the guard removes the bolt and bar, and are greeted by a frightening mass of townsfolk. You see at least two dozen - men mostly, with a few angry women as well. Most bear torches and chant. Bring out the Beast! Bring out the Beast!

You can see, also, that there are a few men who seem to be rather well armed, with swords and crossbows. These seem to be inciting the crowd whenever it seems to be lessening in volume.

The guard that came out with you looks askance at you, his eyes wide. He doesn't look like he's in a hurry to try and tackle this one.

Map added above!


Human Cleric Pharasma 5| HP 43/43 | AC 20/10/20 | +6/+2/+7 | Init +0 | Perc +4 | PP(2/2) Spells: Divine Favor, Prayer

Silas looks to the guard and says: "Courage and duty man. The gods reward those who have faith. Now stay behind me and stand ready to defend the courthouse against anyone who gets past me."

Silas steps forward in front of the crowd and calls out:

"The beast is safely restrained in the hands of the authorities. You have no business here tonight. Disperse and return to your homes."

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Gur opens the door without mishap, an you see an underground room containing several dozen crates, a few coffins, lots of straw, and several huge bell jars. It looks like a fairly standard storage room, with a door to the south.

3,401 to 3,450 of 3,516 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Carrion Crown Chapter 1 - the Haunting of Harrowstone All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.