Carrion Crown

Game Master PJP

Current Map


3,401 to 3,450 of 3,988 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>

Knowledge | GSC | GSD| Carrion | Moonlight| RotR $ | RotRRed $

No - the golem was a construct, so as such, it was destroyed when brought to 0 HP. Healing wouldn't have even helped during combat, although Make Whole might have.


Female NG Changeling Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 | HP 59 | AC 20 T 12 FF 18 | CMB +11, CMD 23 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +7; +4 vs. disease, +2 vs. Undead, +2 vs. Fear, immune: sickened | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +11 | Speed 20ft

what brought it to 0hp? Silas, or the death of the homunculi? We can move on, though. I feel like I'm slowing us down.

Sophie pats Silas on the shoulder. "Good work, boy. Thabks for keepin' me safe."


Knowledge | GSC | GSD| Carrion | Moonlight| RotR $ | RotRRed $

It was the last homonuculus that finished it off.


Female NG Changeling Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 | HP 59 | AC 20 T 12 FF 18 | CMB +11, CMD 23 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +7; +4 vs. disease, +2 vs. Undead, +2 vs. Fear, immune: sickened | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +11 | Speed 20ft

Sophie takes up her Nodachi and returns up the stairs.

when and how are our new teammates replacing Stefan?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

With the caveat that Niculaie may have other things to add or say, here's a first cut at a montage and introduction.

Ravengro and the Professor's grave behind them, the pair rode hard across Ustalav for Lepidstadt. Father Grimburrow had been kind enough to tell them where the band was headed, and even though the countryside had perils aplenty they were nothing that a fast horse couldn't outrun. Pontia remained quiet during the ride, wrapped in her own thoughts. At night she was little more communicative. Personable enough, though, and even polite to the folk encountered on the way.

As they neared Lepidstadt, they began to hear reports of the trial--mostly muttered imprecations and curses about the strangers who had appeared as if out of nowhere to defend the Beast, and keep it from being condemned. Once Pontia and Nic were out of earshot of the locals, the Chelaxian gave a rare smile. "Well, at least we know they made it here in one piece, hm?"

Once in the city, Pontia recommended seeking out the judge, Embreth Daramid. "They were supposed to meet with her. Perhaps she will know where they are now--I suspect that after the trial they would not have wanted to remain any longer than they had to." Fortunately, the judge was able to reassure them that the party was still in the city, and direct them to the inn where they were staying.

But the party had gone into Schloβ Caromarc, for some reason, and after a day had not returned. Pontia was showing no outward sign of frustration, but when the messenger arrived for Doctor von Herzog she exhibited an uncharacteristic volubility. "Yes, they have not returned. No, I understand that the Schloβ is a dangerous place, and of course your employer would not expect you to enter. However, my friend and I would be more than happy to carry the message for you--wouldn't we, Niculaie? Don't even think of payment. The Herr Doctor will deal with such things, if they're needed. Come, let's have the message and we'll be off."

The path the band had carved through Schloβ Caromarc was easy enough to follow, even for an untrained wizard--much less for a trained investigator. Finally, the murmur of voices ahead told that they were nearing their destination. Pontia suddenly looked over at her companion. "Hm. I hope they aren't suspicious of us--I don't have an easy way to prove my acquaintance with the Professor. Do you?"

But by then they were too close to avoid a reckoning.


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

Good to know I'm not the only one eager to jump in!

Niculaie grins good-naturedly at his traveling companion's concern. "Why would they be suspicious? The letter of introduction from Miss Lorrimor should be more than sufficient, don't you think?" This expression of optimism might be more persuasive were the speaker not emaciated, cadaverous, and possessed of an unnaturally long, sharp mouthful of teeth.

His smile fades as he considers the possible reasons for Pontia's worry. "Ah, yes. I understand. I admit to having some small concern myself about the pair of Pharasmins Miss Lorrimor described. I've had enough difficulty with the villagers we've encountered on this journey, but the more militant priests of the Lady of Graves have been known to reach for their wooden stakes first and save their questions for the corpse."

Niculaie broods for a few minutes before continuing the conversation, his head bowed beneath a hood drawn up to protect him from the sun's glare and casual observers on the road. "I am afraid your kind company has caused me to lower my guard, Miss Canario. You are correct to be concerned, although I am sure that were you to ride into Schloβ Caromarc alone, you would easily persuade this band of adventurers to accept your aid. I shall need to make an extraordinary effort to win a place for myself without jeopardizing yours."


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

I'm assuming they're going to reach us without incident and want to move introductions along. If they won't reach us for a bit, ignore this.

As the group is wandering around tapping on walls looking for some sort of way to the assumed second floor, Silas notices two figures crossing the temporary wooden bridge to the museum. In response he draws his sword and readies his shield.

The large man is there standing as a sentinel when they reach the first room. "Halt and declare yourselves," he states simply. "Are you compatriots of Count Caromarc?"

Silas' Appearance:
Silas is a large man. He stands 6' 3" tall and weighs in about 210 lbs. He looks older then his actual 34 years would indicate. His shoulder-length blond hair is losing the war against gray and his ragged beard has already given up the fight. The visible skin on his thick arms as well as his face are cris-crossed with numerous small scars. He handles his longsword and shield as if an extension of his own body.


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

The woman in black robes responds. "I am not, and he--" She indicates the taller man beside her. "--didn't mention anything of the sort earlier." She takes a deep breath. "We're both colleagues of Petros Lorrimor, in fact, and have been trying to find you. Oh, and we are carrying a message for Doctor von Herzog." She holds up a sealed envelope before smiling. "Ah, yes. Where are my manners? I'm called Pontia Canario. And you are?"


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

After a moments hesitation, the tall man sheathes his sword and extends his large hand. "I am Silas Womarsh. It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Canario." He points towards Stefan. "The Doctor is there."

Silas' gaze turns towards the paler figure. "And what might your name be?"


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

The slender man with Pontia carefully pulls back his hood to avoid startling the warrior, revealing pallid skin stretched over a tall, thin frame. His hands are more calloused than would be warranted by the lute slung across his back would suggest, but the large scythe sheathed and hanging from the saddle in easy reach suggests some familiarity with more physical labor.

"I am Niculaie Pavlencas. I do not know the master of this demesne. Although Ustalav is my home, I have not traveled much within it and am only recently returned from many years in the far North, having been summoned by the news of Professor Lorrimor's passing. We bear a letter of introduction from his daughter, and although she did not mention anyone matching your description, good sir, the esteemed judge did, so I feel confident you are with the group we seek. If I may?"

Niculaie gestures towards a pocket inside his cloak; without waiting for Silas to acknowledge him, he reaches within and removes a tightly-rolled scroll of parchment sealed with wax. With a glance at Pontia, he holds out the scroll to Silas.


Female Changeling Cleric of Pharasma 8 | AC 16 T 12 FF 15 | HP 51/51 | Fort + 6 Ref + 5 Will + 10 | Init + 6 | Perc + 6 | Channel: 5/6 left | Darkvision 60 ft | 20 ft with pack 30 ft no pack | CMD 20 CMB +8 | Hero Points: 2/2
Spells Cast:
Bless

Following Silas outside, Tara watches cautiously as the two approach their group. "You have a letter from Kendra? Is all well?" Peeking out from behind the taller man, Tara barely comes up to Silas's shoulder. Glancing between the three, Tara takes in the gaunt form of Niculaie and Pontia. "Oh, right! I'm Tara, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintances Mr. Pavlencas, and Ms. Canario. We've just defeated a flesh golem that was apparently sharing its life force with a bunch of homunculouses-homunculi? Er, either way, Mr. Womarsh and Ms. Sophie defeated them!" Clapping her hands together, Tara offers an excited smile to the newcomers, hoping to make them feel welcomed.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

Pontia's Appearance:
Although Pontia is above average in height, Silas looms over her by more than a hand, and probably outmasses her by at least half. Her lack of armor in a dangerous situation suggests that she's an arcane caster or a monk. The lack of calluses on her hands would seem to indicate the former, and the smudges of ink provide further corroboration of her profession. Her close-cropped hair is dark, with only a few lighter strands interspersed among the rest.

Pontia seems to relax slightly when Tara slips into view, and gives the cleric a smile in reply. As her words sink in, the Chelaxian's expression grows intent. "That sounds fascinating. May I see the bodies?"


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Pavlencas," Silas says in a formal tone as he takes the scroll. Breaking the seal, he reads the missive. Once finished, he turns and shrugs at the others. "This says they are who they say they are." He turns back and gives a slightly quirky grin at the bard. "Although I wouldn't be able to tell a forgery from the real thing so we'll let your actions be the final arbiter."

The large man looks over at Pontia. "The golem and its handlers are downstairs if you really need to see them. We're trying to find the way upstairs. We still haven't found the Count."


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

"If you don't mind my asking, why are you looking for the Count?"


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

Not sure whether we would have tied up the horses outside or ridden them up to this point, but I suspect they're superfluous for the moment, so please assume Niculaie and Portia have dismounted at an appropriate spot.

Niculaie bows. "I am at your service, and would be pleased to assist. I am curious, though: why are you looking for this count in the first place? Perhaps he is simply traveling?"


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

Silas looks a little bit at a loss.

"Um... he's the creator of the Beast of Lepidstadt, whom these folks defended at his trial in the city. The Beast, not the Count. I came along to provide a strong sword-arm while these good people sought him out. The Count, not the Beast."

He turns to the others to expound upon their goals.


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

Pontia's expression of interest, faded somewhat when it became apparent that she would have to wait to examine the bodies, returns in full force. "We heard about the Beast. A free-willed, sapient flesh golem--an amazing arcane accomplishment! Yes, the Count sounds interesting indeed." She looks around, then back the way the party came. "He, er, doesn't get many visitors, does he?"


Female Changeling Cleric of Pharasma 8 | AC 16 T 12 FF 15 | HP 51/51 | Fort + 6 Ref + 5 Will + 10 | Init + 6 | Perc + 6 | Channel: 5/6 left | Darkvision 60 ft | 20 ft with pack 30 ft no pack | CMD 20 CMB +8 | Hero Points: 2/2
Spells Cast:
Bless

At the mention of Count Caromarc, Tara's expression darkens. "Yes, I have a few choice words for Count Caromarc. However Saban invited us, and Judge Daramid wanted us to find some more information them both. So, here we are!" Glancing between the group, Tara touches her holy symbol for reassurance. "I feel as if there is something that we are missing, would you like to help us look?" Not waiting for a reply, Tara darts back inside the building and begins rummaging around.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


female Human Rogue/Inquisitor (4/4)-AC 20 T 15 FF 16 HP 59/59 -Ini+5-BaB+6 (+8 ranged) CMB +6 CMD 19- Fort +8 Ref+9 Will+8 -Per+13 Move 30

Nice to meet you.
A young redhead, sporting the symbol of Pharasma too, salutes you with a coy smile.

I'm Vivian Deberth, the pepper to the salt of the earth, Mister Silas Womarsh, our strong, capable and noble warrior.


Female NG Changeling Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 | HP 59 | AC 20 T 12 FF 18 | CMB +11, CMD 23 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +7; +4 vs. disease, +2 vs. Undead, +2 vs. Fear, immune: sickened | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +11 | Speed 20ft

Sophie gives the new party members an appraising look. "Nice to have you, dears; always nice to have more friends of the professor with us."


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

Niculaie bows to Vivian and Sophie in turn. "Ladies, it is a pleasure to meet each of you. Miss Tara, I will be happy to assist you. I take it there is some risk of danger, so if you will permit me a moment?" His accent is typical of the rural aristocracy of Ustalav*, with a slight lilt hinting at the recent years spent in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings.

The pale man tightens the straps on his lute and swings his scythe over his shoulder. "I am not much of a warrior - my sister is the fighter of the family - but I was raised to be prepared."

Niculaie joins Tara in her search, although as he is uncertain what they are looking for, he keeps an eye out for anything of interest.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

*In my head, his accent is full Bela Lugosi. But I played an Ustalav character in a play-by-post Playtest scenario (Niculaie's sanctimonious cousin, Arkandru), and trying to type all of his dialogue replacing Vs with Ws and vice-versa was a constant battle with spellcheck and the idea of committing to that for the duration of an AP is daunting.


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

Speaking of accents:

When Niculaie first met Pontia in Ravengro, she spoke Common in a manner typical of someone from Absalom. By the time the pair reached Lepidstadt, though, she had taken on a pitch-perfect Ustalavan accent.

Back to the present:

The wizard casts a spell and invokes a protective barrier around herself. Casting mage armor. "Besides the constructs, what else have you fought here?"


female Human Rogue/Inquisitor (4/4)-AC 20 T 15 FF 16 HP 59/59 -Ini+5-BaB+6 (+8 ranged) CMB +6 CMD 19- Fort +8 Ref+9 Will+8 -Per+13 Move 30

Nearly everything, but not the kitchen sink yet, as we failed to locate the kitchen so far..Trolls and their strange dogs, mummy, mimic, elementals... There was a trap with summoning magic on the bridge, but I managed to rig it. Barely.


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

"Don't forget about the vile things that rusted my armor," Silas calls out from another room as he continues his search for a ladder or stairs.


female Human Rogue/Inquisitor (4/4)-AC 20 T 15 FF 16 HP 59/59 -Ini+5-BaB+6 (+8 ranged) CMB +6 CMD 19- Fort +8 Ref+9 Will+8 -Per+13 Move 30

Yeah, that too. We never knew if you were wearing Something Under all that steel.. Too bad.

adds the Redhead with an exagerated smile


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

The large man feels a sense of relief that at least a wall and a doorway separates him from the red-haired woman as a flush of embarrassment moves up his neck under his beard.


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

Pontia glances at the forward Pharasmin, one eyebrow twitching briefly, before her studied calm returns.


Knowledge | GSC | GSD| Carrion | Moonlight| RotR $ | RotRRed $

So, you still don't have any way up to more levels. Really, the only obvious path is out the back door.

The way is an exposed, winding, narrow pathway that climbs the bare rock face. A DC 10 Climb check is required to ascend the way, as there are no handrails or guide ropes.


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

Niculaie considers the path doubtfully. "This seems to be our only way forward. Do you have a preferred order when forced to proceed in single file - Mr. Womarsh in front, I assume? I would be happy to bring up the rear unless that position is already taken."

The pale man slings his scythe onto his back, taking care not to injure his lute, and draws a dagger instead. If anyone asks or gives him a questioning look, he says,

"My scythe and bow each require two hands, and I expect I'll want one hand free for the climb."

Niculaie will sheath (or drop and abandon) the dagger if necessary to ascend without penalty.

Climb: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Whew!

As they climb, Niculaie begins mentally composing his next letter to his sister.

Once again, I owe you and Uncle my thanks for all you taught me of the practical arts of combat, as unlikely as it must have seemed that I would ever require such knowledge. Our library's many fascinating books on castle architecture, and even Uncle's tedious lectures on siegecraft, made quite an impression on my young mind even when I believed I was distracted by more pleasant thoughts. Today, in particular, I had cause to remember your warning one winter afternoon never to trust an apparently empty hallway, as narrow corridors are often designed into castles and fortresses to allow defenders to pick off invaders one by one and easily cut off their only avenue of retreat. It seems as though Schloss Caromarc was built very much along these lines...


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

Silas nods. "Yeah, I should go first," he says in a resigned voice. He looks nervously over the edge and takes a deep breath. He sheaths his sword and slips his shield onto his back before taking a few more breaths.

Climb DC 10: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (18) - 2 = 16

His face pale, he moves up the path - his hand clutching the rough stone hard enough to raise white knuckles.


female Human Rogue/Inquisitor (4/4)-AC 20 T 15 FF 16 HP 59/59 -Ini+5-BaB+6 (+8 ranged) CMB +6 CMD 19- Fort +8 Ref+9 Will+8 -Per+13 Move 30

Boys.. Always willing to take unnecessary risks to impress the girls and show off their prowess… While we are more willing to use our wits.

With a wink to the other women, Vivian uncoils a rope from her backpack, and the rope knots and fix itself to the barren wall

Use my rope of climbing, reduce the DC of climbing by 10 (so DC 0 now), lenght 50 feet

Vivian waits to guide the less experienced climbers if needed, and will climb last

Aid another Climb: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

Hey! The poor man is doing his best not to soil his armor. He didn't like heights before he came here and his opinion hasn't been improved by recent events.


Female Changeling Cleric of Pharasma 8 | AC 16 T 12 FF 15 | HP 51/51 | Fort + 6 Ref + 5 Will + 10 | Init + 6 | Perc + 6 | Channel: 5/6 left | Darkvision 60 ft | 20 ft with pack 30 ft no pack | CMD 20 CMB +8 | Hero Points: 2/2
Spells Cast:
Bless

Feeling her bag dig into her back, Tara glances between the safety of the museum to the perilous pass. Pulling out a few of her heavier items she sets them besides the sarcophagus, before following the others with shaky knees. As she follows behind, her foot slips on the slick walk and Tara lets out a bloodcurdling scream.

Climb: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (4) - 3 = 1


Knowledge | GSC | GSD| Carrion | Moonlight| RotR $ | RotRRed $

Tara's scream fades quickly as she falls 150 feet into the river below.

I was going to allow you an Acrobatics or Swim check to try to dive in, but you don't really have either skill...

Damage, lethal: 11d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 1, 3, 5, 3, 1, 4, 2, 1, 3) = 33
Non-lethal damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7

I will allow you to channel heal yourself on the way down, if you like.


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

Pontia tentatively follows up the rope, trying her best to fall before the rope's magic can save her.

Climb check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

With the rope of climbing, the Climb DC is 0. IIRC, you have to miss a Climb check by 5 or more to fall.


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

Hearing Tara's scream, Silas' face goes even paler. However, without even a second thought, he drops his backpack, shield and sword and dives off the ledge after her.

Swim: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (15) - 2 = 13

Yeah, he's probably going to die, but there's no way he could just watch.


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None
Pontia Canario wrote:
With the rope of climbing, the Climb DC is 0. IIRC, you have to miss a Climb check by 5 or more to fall.

That’s my understanding, too.


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9
Niculaie Pavlencas wrote:
Pontia Canario wrote:
With the rope of climbing, the Climb DC is 0. IIRC, you have to miss a Climb check by 5 or more to fall.
That’s my understanding, too.

I like that option better as well. Much less drowning and dying - always a win in my book. :)


female Human Rogue/Inquisitor (4/4)-AC 20 T 15 FF 16 HP 59/59 -Ini+5-BaB+6 (+8 ranged) CMB +6 CMD 19- Fort +8 Ref+9 Will+8 -Per+13 Move 30

Yes, DC should be 0, AND I used Aid another to give +2 on the check. No way you should fail and fall


Female NG Changeling Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 | HP 59 | AC 20 T 12 FF 18 | CMB +11, CMD 23 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +7; +4 vs. disease, +2 vs. Undead, +2 vs. Fear, immune: sickened | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +11 | Speed 20ft

with the DC of 0 I'm going to assume she does not fall.

Sophie murmurs a prayer before climbing the rope.

climb, untrained, ACP, heroism, guidance: 10 + 4 - 3 + 2 + 1 = 14


Knowledge | GSC | GSD| Carrion | Moonlight| RotR $ | RotRRed $

I am not entirely sure it was clear that anyone but Vivian was using the rope, and in that case the assist wasn't enough. I am also not convinced that more than one person could take advantage of the rope in this case, but let's face it - you all suck at climbing, and I am not really interested in watching you all fall to your death, so we'll just assume you figured a way to do it. But I'll tell you, this is the third time I have glossed over falling since we have been in here, and if there are more in this AP, you all should invest in some flying or something... :)

The Stretching Way ends here at a small stairway that descends 10 feet to a recessed iron door. The door is rusted shut and blocked by the pressure of the water behind it. A DC 28 Strength check is required to open the door.


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None
GM Fuzzfoot wrote:
The Stretching Way ends here at a small stairway that descends 10 feet to a recessed iron door. The door is rusted shut and blocked by the pressure of the water behind it. A DC 28 Strength check is required to open the door.

Niculaie, near the back of the group and (I assume) still several steps up the staircase, looks anxiously back over his shoulder at the treacherous cliff path.

"Is there any way to tell just how much water is going to rush out at us if we get it open? Perhaps knocking on it to hear where the waterline is?"


female Human Rogue/Inquisitor (4/4)-AC 20 T 15 FF 16 HP 59/59 -Ini+5-BaB+6 (+8 ranged) CMB +6 CMD 19- Fort +8 Ref+9 Will+8 -Per+13 Move 30

Gm: it's a fair warning about falling. For me Nic and Silas were climbing by themselves, Vivian was steadying (Aid another) the magical rope (DC-10) to help the other women climbing, and climb last. I should have been more precise in my wording perhaps


Knowledge | GSC | GSD| Carrion | Moonlight| RotR $ | RotRRed $

It is hard to be sure, but given the location and potential for water if flooded naturally, you figure it is best to brace yourselves. Roping yourselves together?

This module is ridiculous - I am not sure how you are supposed to exceed a DC 28 check, and there is no where else to go. Swim checks and climb checks for the whole party at every turn? I wasn't here for the first book - was it like this too?


Male Human Fighter 8 | HP 84/84 | AC 24 T 11 FF 24 | CMB +12, CMD 21 | F: +10, R: +2, W: +3; +2 vs. fear, +2 vs. emotion spells/effects | Init: +4 | Perc: +9

Silas snaps out of his nightmarish daydreams and focuses on the door in front of them. He looks around it and then up above, trying to get an idea what is behind/around the portal. A mailed fist reaches out and taps lightly on the rusted iron.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

"Umm ... I can't really tell," the warrior responds to Niculaie's query. "Everyone should get back and use some rope or something in case ... well ... " he shrugs and avoids looking out and over the edge.

I don't remember the first book having things like this or latter books. However, in my FTF games I follow the principle of 'don't make players roll for minor things that they're required to do to advance the story.' I'm not suggesting that here, just explaining why my old brain tends to forget things like this.


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

"I agree, we should rope ourselves together. Ms. Deberth, may we use your fine rope for the job, and to anchor ourselves in place to withstand the initial rush of water? As for the door," Nicolaie reaches into his haversack and removes a flask of viscous, brown liquid. "It won't do anything for the pressure on the other side, but perhaps oiling the hinges would make the task slightly easier?"

If Silas takes 20, he'll get to 24 (eventually, unless there is a penalty for failure). With guidance (assuming Tara or Sophie can cast it), that's 25. I don't know much space there is by the door, but if there is room for two, someone else pushing to aid another would bring us to 27. A +1 circumstance bonus for using the oil on the hinges - probably the most that would be reasonable - or a second person aiding if there's room would get us there.


Female NG Changeling Oracle (Spirit Guide) 8 | HP 59 | AC 20 T 12 FF 18 | CMB +11, CMD 23 | F: +3, R: +5, W: +7; +4 vs. disease, +2 vs. Undead, +2 vs. Fear, immune: sickened | Init: +2 | Perc: +0, SM: +11 | Speed 20ft

Sophie cast Heroism on Silas earlier. If we rest I am pretty sure she could cast Heroism AND enlarge person on him. But I don't think that's necessary. She should be able to aid him. That + heroism + his STR score + take 20 should get us there


Male dhampir bard (dirge bard) 6 (CL8) /Investigator (gravedigger) 2 | Bardic Perf 19/19; Inspiration 3/3 | HP: 48/51 | AC 18 T 13 FF 16 | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 | F: +4, R: +11, W: +9 (+4 vs fear, energy drain, death & necromantic effects) | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +4 | Speed 30 | Mwk Scythe +7 (2d4+1/x4), silver lt. mace +6 (1d6+1), +1 darkwd comp shortbow +8 (1d6+2/x3) | Spells (bard): 2nd, 4/4; 1st, 5/6; 0, ∞/6 | Spells (Inv): 1st, Shield, (2 open) | *Active: None

Does heroism apply to ability checks in addition to skill checks?


Female Human Wiz/8 | AC 17* T 16* FF 16* | HP 42/42 | F +4 R +4 W +8 | Init +7| Perc +1|Sense Motive +1

It doesn't look like it.

The young Chelaxian studies the situation, pondering. "I could create a pit under the door, and drain the water out that way. It would take me a minute or two to prepare the spell, though. I could also prepare a spell to strengthen the redoubtable Master Womarsh, which would take just as long."

3,401 to 3,450 of 3,988 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Harker Presents: Carrion Crown Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.