GM Fez's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Nathan Hartshorn

Map

The Harrowing

Majenko

Harrow point uses:
  • Constitution Rerolls: PC can spend a Harrow Point to reroll a Fortitude saving throw, stabilization check, or other Constitution-based check. She must abide by the new result (although if she has additional Harrow Points remaining, she can use them to attempt additional rerolls).
  • Damage Reduction: PC can spend a Harrow Point to gain DR 3/—. This damage reduction persists for the duration of the encounter in which she spent the Harrow Point. A PC can’t spend multiple Harrow Points to increase this damage reduction.
  • Fast Hit Point Recovery: A PC can spend a Harrow Point after resting for 1 minute to recover from her recent ordeals. She regains a number of hit points equal to her character level and 1 point of ability damage each time she does so (this does not remove ability drain). She can spend a Harrow Point in this manner once after each encounter.

  • 1,201 to 1,250 of 1,568 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>

    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Jolon notices Aloysia pocket the venom and nods.

    "I was going to say you'd probably get the most use out of those."

    Then he notes the bag.

    "This...this is probably one of the most valuable things here."

    At the risk of sounding a bit greedy, I kinda want the handy haversack...but I don't know who's carrying the most in the group, and that's the person who'll need it the most.


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    I'm fine with you having it, Gamon isn't carrying much and as long as you don't have a problem with holding on to items for the party then he wouldn't care who takes the haversack.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Thank you. This'll go a long way to mitigating Jolon's oracle curse.


    Majenko snorts silver dust, mumbling all the while, "Stupid dragon senses. Not a piece of gold among the lot."

    DC 20 Perception:
    There is another small door to the north, just like the one you found in the bone pit.

    Which way now? There is a door to the south, and the passage to the east that the Derro was backing toward.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    The sack's all yours! I always immediately save up for a Bag of Holding as my first purchase on pretty much all of my characters anyway.

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

    As the group is poking around the room Aloysia calls out, "We have another secret door up here!" She invesitgates for any nastiness...

    Perception for traps/locks: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


    Aloysia doesn't find any nasty surprises waiting at this door either, and peeking through sees the hallway leads upwards at a slight angle, only traveling for about 25 feet before hitting another door.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    "You think these doors were sized for these little...things?" Jolon asks, nudging the dead derro with the tip of his sword.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    "Who knows in dark places like this, but I certainly don't want to deal with them any more. I'll be back, I'm going to check this hallway out."

    Aloysia heads carefully into the hallway toward the next door, head on a swivel for dangers...

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

    Pending nothing explodes, she stops at the door to listen through and search for more traps.

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


    Aloysia doesn't see any traps on the door and does not hear anything on the other side.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    She opens the door as quietly as she can to peek through, and depending on what she sees will sneak through to investigate the new area.

    Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Jolon tries to follow Aloysia and keep enough distance between the two of them that his own movements wouldn't give hers away, but not so far that he couldn't connect his life link to her.


    Thanks for the well wishes guys

    Aloysia opens the door and winds up in what appears to be a library. Two wide, freestanding bookshelves furnish this room. The shelves are filled with row upon row of carefully arranged tomes and scrolls. A quick look through reveals the books and scrolls are mostly treatises on necromancy or the art of crafting golems, but there’s also a surprisingly large number of books about diseases and plagues here as well.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    She heads back to the rest to inform them what she's found. "You academic types might find something useful in this next room. It's a library, might have some magical things."


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Jolon follows Aloysia's suggestion and takes a look around the library. He begins to glower as he realizes what these books are for. He was no scholar, but even he understood the foulness of the information contained in these texts. He's a bit confused by the books about diseases, though...undead didn't get sick, right?

    Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20


    Jolon considers his training and thinks, yes, undead cannot get plagues or diseases. A picture book on humanoid anatomy catches his eye because of two large sheets of vellum stuck between its pages. Pulling them out and asking for some help from Pharasma to read the writing finds them to be scrolls, one of identify and one of command undead.

    There is one door leading out of the library, but there are other unexplored options back in the destroyed alchemist's lab. Majenko, bored from the lack of shiny gold treasure, has started winging around, relying on his nose to pick up on things. He wretches a bit after nosing into the open corridor in the east, and does the same for the well boarded-up door to the south. "Eugh! Both directions from here smell like something died and started walking around again!" He flies back to Cecil and lands before sneezing silver dust and scrabbling at his nose to get the scent out.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Would that result be enough for Jolon to realize the significance of diseases to a certain undead-centric faith?


    Yep, this all sounds like the person who built this library is very much a follower of Urgathoa.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Aloysia heads down to the south room to have a gander in there too, but does so as quietly as she can.

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
    Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    "Just what we need," Jolon comments to the others. "Our man Rolth isn't just a necromancer, he's a...pious one...for lack of a better term. With so much information on disease and pestilence in addition to the texts on necromancy, it makes it clear that he worships the dark goddess Urgathoa. They're some of the worst kinds of necromancers: not only are they power-mad psychopaths, but they see their desecrations as a holy mission!"


    Aloysia stops, listening to the door. The sound of large footsteps and heavy hits are coming through it. And as Majenko stated before, the smell coming from behind the door is horrific, a mixture of decayed flesh and freshly spilled blood that leaves a coppery aftertaste in the mouth. The boards on the door may be an issue in getting it open and will require a few minutes work to pry off.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Aloysia heads back to the group to report in, "The south door down there Majenko was talking about is boarded up, and from the sound of it some kind of large abomination is lumbering about in there. Do we take it on in hopes of some reward, or move on by?"


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    I'd rather deal with whatever it is now, rather than be surprised by it later.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Jolon rejoins the group.

    "I agree. And maybe by attacking it now WE'LL be the ones surprising them. Hold a moment," he says as he closes his eyes and touches each member of the group in turn, including Majenko. Tendrils of blue fire touch each of them, extending from Jolon's form.

    "Now we will be ready for anything that can harm us."

    Life Linking to all of you!


    I forgot to update the map last night. The smaller white square to the south of you is gone, has a single room underneath it with a 5 ft by 10ft corridor leading to the room, so who's in front? And if you want to try and remove the boards quietly I'll need a stealth check.

    SECRET ROLLS!:
    Perceive!: 1d20 ⇒ 19


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Gamon would likely be second, after Aloysia if she'd like to try and remove the boards quietly.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Quietly is my game! I'll give it a shot...

    Aloysia nods to the group, heads back down to the door, and inspects the boards see if there is a quiet way to B&E this thing...

    Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32

    And finds a few loose boards that makes the job go (near) perfectly smooth.


    Aloysia uses the tips of her daggers to work the nails loose from the boards and has Gamon nearby to catch them in case they fall too quickly. She manages to pry them all loose and crack the door to see what lies on the other side. As the door opens a horrific stench of death and decay wafts out, bringing bile to your throats and tears to your eyes. DC 12 Fort save or spend the surprise round nauseated.

    Initiative!:
    Aloysia: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
    Gamon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
    Jolon: 1d20 ⇒ 4
    Cecil: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
    Majenko: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
    Carrion Golem: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

    This room, once a pantry, is in shambles. Broken crates and shelves lie strewn about the place, with the foodstuffs, firewood, and other supplies they once contained scattered across the floor. A hulking monstrosity of rotting flesh, clumps of hair, and jagged bone is raging about the room, using an arm as a club. The arm is deeply tanned and has Shaonti markings all over it.

    Order 1st Round
    (Surprise all)
    Aloysia, Cecil, Gamon

    Carrion Golem
    Majenko, Jolon

    DC 14 Kn. (Arcana):
    This is a Carrion Golem. As with most golems magic attacks won't work except for a specified few.

    Will get to more later


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Fort: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
    Is there a map up for this fight yet? I can't see it on the map we were using before, although I'd assume it's just behind one of the white blocks. I'll move Gamon later once I can see that.

    Gamon nearly keels over from the stench as soon as Aloysia pries back the boards. He stumbles in front of her, with his axe drawn, and blinks at the creature before them through the tears in his eyes.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

    Jolon doubles over. This turned even HIS strong stomach! When he recovers, he looks up in horror at the monster.


    I was not able to get the map up last night, sorry guys. I should have more time for it this afternoon/tonight.

    DC 19 Kn. (Arcana):
    Spells that work on this particular golem are similar to those that work on flesh golems, and those that cause the main components (corpses) to slough off. Those spells are Gentle Repose, Animate Dead, and any spell that deals cold or fire damage. Avoid using spells that create electricity as those speed up the golem.

    In addition this golem is less susceptible to piercing attacks,
    such as from bows and crossbows.

    DC 24 Kn. (Arcana):
    Carrion Golems are also known for carrying various diseases around in their constituent body parts, though it is unknown what disease a golem carries until someone contracts it.

    Majenko Fort!: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

    The little drake is staggered by the smell but soldiers through it.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Fort Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

    Aloyia's delicate demeanor is ruined by her immediately vomiting on the floor before she turns to Gamon and says, "Back up! I don't want to go toe to toe with that thing in a hallway!"

    Assuming that Gamon will indeed let her through, I already moved my token to where she would go. I don't know it's allowed, but if possible, I'll try to hide where I am now.

    Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


    Damn. I'm glad you guys got the surprise on this thing, everyone throwing up round one would be bad...

    Order 1st Round
    (Surprise Cecil)
    Aloysia, Cecil, Gamon

    Carrion Golem
    Majenko, Jolon


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Cecil if you can back up in the surprise round, Gamon can step back so that we can take him on together, rather than him being stuck in the hallway by himself.


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Still here, just waiting on my turn.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    I feel like many of us are waiting on each other...I used my surprise round to move to the edge of the hallway for flanking when the thing comes out of the hallway for us


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    I'm waiting on Cecil, since until he moves then Gamon can't back up. That being said, he seems to have not posted in over a month so it might best to move on and have him botted for now.


    Kn. (Arcana): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

    Cecil dives behind the table letting everyone know, "I won't be much use against that, it's a golem! It's hide is resistant to piercing attacks, but it can be chopped or bashed apart!"

    Order 1st Round
    Aloysia, Cecil, Gamon
    Carrion Golem
    Majenko, Jolon


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Aloysia readies to attack the thing when it steps into flankable range


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Gamon steps back into the hallway, forcing the creature to approach three of them at once if it wished to attack, and preparing himself to attack when the golem did come near.


    I don't know what spells Cecil has in his spellbook, otherwise I'd have him full round switch a spell for one of those if he has one that affects the golem.

    The golem roars in anger and continues swinging its 'club' around. Noticing the door is open it rushes forward, intent on smashing more around it.

    It reaches the point where Aloysia and Gamon are prepared and swings the arm at the first person in its line of sight. Rando: 1d4 ⇒ 3 That person is Majenko...

    AC 17, 42 hp. Doubt its going down unless crits are involved, so the following assumes it is still 'alive'.

    Slam!: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

    The quick moving drake is too much for the mindless decaying automaton to hit and manages to stay just away from its mindless attacks.

    Fly: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

    The drake flies in close, attacking with teeth and tail, ripping bits off and gagging at the nasty taste.

    Ew!: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
    Sting!: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

    None of the little creature's attacks seem to be doing anything of substance to the monster.

    Order 1st Round
    Aloysia, Cecil, Gamon
    (Readied action Aloysia, Gamon)
    Carrion Golem
    Majenko, Jolon


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
    Damage: 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Nervous about Cecil's information about being resistant, but apprehension dissolving in a feeling of "need to survive," Aloysia swings away...

    Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 23
    (Magical) Damage if that hits: 1d4 + 1 + 2d8 ⇒ (2) + 1 + (3, 8) = 14
    Attack: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 = 23
    (Non-magical) Damage if that hits: 1d4 + 2d8 ⇒ (4) + (6, 4) = 14


    While Gamon's axe is deflected by the golem's arm it allows Aloysia's daggers to slip along the stitches and seams of the cobbled together flesh, dropping chunks of it off and annoying it further.

    Order 1st Round
    Aloysia, Cecil, Gamon
    Carrion Golem -28
    Majenko, Jolon


    Jolon swings at the golem with his longsword, helping Aloysia and Gamon destroy it by lopping off bits of it.

    Slash!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
    Confirm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
    Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

    Order 2nd Round
    Aloysia, Cecil, Gamon
    Carrion Golem -34
    Majenko, Jolon


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Gamon strikes out with a vengeance at the golem, aiming for the chest.
    Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
    Damage: 1d12 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Beginning to feel somewhat frantic about how much punishment this thing is taking she continues her windmill...

    Attack (Magic): 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 2 = 15
    Damage if that hits: 1d4 + 1 + 2d8 ⇒ (2) + 1 + (3, 7) = 13
    Attack (Non-magic): 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 2 = 21
    Damage if that hits: 1d4 + 2d8 ⇒ (3) + (8, 7) = 18


    [Oracle (Spirit Guide) 4, AC 16, T16, FF10 / HP 38/38, F+5 R+2 W+3 / CMB +5, CMD 15/ Init +0, Perc. +2]

    Thank you for botting me, GM Fez. I have now returned from Chicago!

    "VAND LOC GRAXT!" Jolon roars as he strikes at the monster.

    Shoanti:
    "UNTO YOU ETERNITY!"


    Gamon and Aloysia continue ripping parts off of the golem. Soon it is nothing more than a pile of decaying meat and popped staples at your feet. Combat over!

    Majenko flies over to the arm the construct was using as a club, keeping one claw over his nose. "This thing is covered in Shoanti tatoos. Think its part of that guy we were supposed to find?"


    M Human Slayer 4 (HP 39/39| AC:19 | T:12 | FF:17 | CMB: 7| CMD:19 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+6 | Will:+2 | Init:+2 | Perc:+8 | Speed 20)

    Gamon shudders at the thought, I hope not, but anything is possible I suppose.


    Female Half-Elf Rogue (Knife Master) - 4
    Stats:
    CONDITION: None, Harrow Points: 1/1, AC 17 (14/17), Fort +1, Ref +8, Will +1, Init +3, Perc +9, HP 20/20

    Aloysia stares at it, "If we're keeping a sample of the thing to take back, I'm not holding on to it," then abruptly enters it's holding cell and snoops around.

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

    1,201 to 1,250 of 1,568 << first < prev | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Fez's Curse of the Crimson Throne All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.