GM Doug Henderson’s The Haunting of Hinojai (Closed) (Inactive)

Game Master Fiasko


351 to 400 of 452 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak pulls out his haunt siphon wondering why he did not stow it in a spring-loaded sheath. seriously, I should have written that down or updated the container in hero lab, which I did not!

Freaking bananas.


Hinojai

Estra casts Heroism on Daisley and just in time as a large sphere of what at first looks like blood, but actually tastes like red wine, appears where The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak stands. It then rolls toward Gorf, attempting to damage and engulf (or worse!) everyone in the room.

Reflex DC 15 or:
Non-lethal Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5

Should you fail, a second Refelx DC 15 to avoid being engulfed!

The barrel is now filled to the top with red ectoplasm and two ghostly samurai appear on either side!

Kn: Local DC 15:
Their armor looks common, and they do not wear any insignia or symbols. These were probably mercenaries or thugs for hire.

I’ll pause here to see how folks resolve their saves.

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

Gorf Reflex save, fatigued: 1d20 + 12 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 12 - 1 = 16

Gorf Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

"Ah don't know whether to be relieved or insulted that those bloody folks weren't no one important."


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Is the haunt still active?


Hinojai

Yes, the orb is going to continue to roll around and the samurai will wait patiently for someone to fail 2 saves in a row until the haunt is neutralized. Once the saves are resolved I’ll put the initiative order back up as something else may yet happen...

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

Reflex save, heroism: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 = 18

Reflex save, heroism: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26

Daisley stands firm against the onslaught.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"*BZZZT* Botting for Weeeeessleey Estra and Honaire:"

Estra Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Estra Reflex (if needed): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Honaire Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Honaire Reflex (if needed): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Heading out to gm — here's what The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak will do on his turn.

on The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak's turn:

The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak unscrews the haunt siphon!

positive energy: 3d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 5) = 8

If the haunt is brought to 0 HP by this I get a negative energy bomb; otherwise the siphon becomes mundane.


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Also if possible to Escape Artist out of an engulf, The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak will liberating command estra. +10 on escape artist; immediate action.


Hinojai

The party nimbly avoids being damaged or engulfed by the orb, except for Estra. She gets a little taste of that blood-wine-ectoplasm and she is compelled to walk toward the ghostly samurai who immediately grab her and shove her headfirst into the barrel, now overflowing with ectoplasm, and attempt to drown her!
She must hold her breath or begin to drown. She will get another reflex save on her turn to try to escape.

The first normal round begins and the party may act!

Daisley
Estra
The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak
Gorf

???

Sorry, there’s no Escape Artist check here.

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

"Crap, Estra!" Gorf fires at the nearest of the samurai. I don't see them on the map, but I think I have a clear shot at the barrel, which they are presumably right next to.

+1 Musket, point-blank, fatigued: 1d20 + 15 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 15 + 1 + 1 = 25
damage, point-blank, fatigued: 1d10 + 6 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 1 - 1 = 8 Magic, bludgeoning, piercing, cold iron.

Assuming he sees the bullet not do full damage: He then reloads with a ghost-salted bullet (move action).


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

knowledge religion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Ghosts’ DR abd anything else GM finds interesting.


Hinojai

Gorf fires at the closest samurai and the bullet whizzes right through, without doing any damage whatsoever! The samurai doesn’t even seem to notice.

Gorf, why don’t you make a Wisdome check?

Cudak:
You and your busybody knowledge rolls! These aren’t really ghosts, they’re images created by the haunt. Perhaps Estra is under some effect from the haunt and would still be drowning even without the illusions!

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

"What'n the heck?!"

Wisdom: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Hinojai

Gorf has no idea.


Hinojai

Daisley
Estra

The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak
Gorf
??? -8


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

The Artist Formerly Known as Cudak Tanagak put his actions above; a palrtry 8 positive energy damage to the haunt.

The ghosts aren’t real!


”Estra” | Female N Medium Human Spiritualist 7 | HP 38/52 | AC 20, T 10, FF 20 | CMD 14 | F +8 R +5 W +11; +2 vs illusions | Init +3 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 4/5, 2nd 2/4, 3rd 1/2 | Active Conditions: comp. languages, shield

Can I hear Cudak, and if so, can I save to disbelieve?
possible Will save: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 11 + 2 = 18
Estra holds her breath and attempts to struggle free.
Reflex save: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 5 + 2 = 9

Honaire rushes to Estra’s side! But I think does nothing because he can’t Aid Another on a saving throw? He does get close enough to buff her with phantom stuff, though.

Still traveling, should be able to post again by 9ish tonight

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

Daisley, on hearing The Artist Formery Known as Cudak’s words, tears herself away from trying to attack the ghosts. She pops the holy water from her wrist sheath and breaks it on the ground.

holy water: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6


Hinojai

Sorry Estra, there’s nothing to disbelieve. The ghosts aren’t real ghosts. They are manifestations of the haunt. They can’t be targeted themselves. I was just trying to throw Gorf a bone so he doesn’t waste a bunch of expensive bullets!

Daisley’s holy water sizzles and smokes on the floor of the torture chamber.

Estra is unable to escape! The samurai completely submerge her head first in the barrel of ectoplasm and begin eyeing the lid and hammer!

Meanwhile, the orb continues to roll around the room attempting to damage and engulf everyone!

DC 15 Reflex save or take:
Non lethal damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4

Followed by a second DC 15 Reflex save if you fail. Should you become engulfed you may make another reflex save on your turn to escape. Estra also gets another save on her turn!

Daisley
Estra
The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak
Gorf

??? -14

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

Gorf Reflex save, fatigued: 1d20 + 12 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 12 - 1 = 13
Gorf Reflex save, fatigued: 1d20 + 12 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 12 - 1 = 17

"Ow! Get offa me you stupid thing!" Gorf stumbles as the bloody orb slams into him, but manages to spring out of the way without getting engulfed. "Are you tellin' me these fancy bullets ah paid for ain't gonna work on these fellers?! Bah! Fine, then!" He rummages in his pack and draws a holy water, following Daisley's lead in smashing it on the ground.

Holy water: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

Reflex save, heroism: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 2 = 19

Daisley pulls out another of her many holy waters. ”Is this even doing anything? How do I tell?”

holy water: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3


Hinojai

Daisley and Gorf throw their holy waters upon the ground and watch them sizzle and smoke, but the haunt does not appear to be neutralized yet, as the samurai and the ectoplasm remain!

Daisley
Estra
The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak

Gorf
??? -23


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak starts up his song, preparing to saving finale anyone who fails a save.

He moves toward the hammer with the intention of picking it up and taking it away from the ghosts.


”Estra” | Female N Medium Human Spiritualist 7 | HP 38/52 | AC 20, T 10, FF 20 | CMD 14 | F +8 R +5 W +11; +2 vs illusions | Init +3 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 4/5, 2nd 2/4, 3rd 1/2 | Active Conditions: comp. languages, shield

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 2 = 11


”Honaire” | N Medium outsider (phantom) 7 | HP 45/51 | AC 22, T 14, FF 20 | CMD 21 | F +6 R +10 W +9 | Init +1 | darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: spiritualist's call (+2 Str/Dex/Cha, 10 minutes)

Reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Reflex: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Honaire is swept up by the ruddy orb!


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak ends "I can feel it in the air tonight" with a flourish, lending the drowning Estra a hand!

Saving finale; reroll the reflex save.


”Estra” | Female N Medium Human Spiritualist 7 | HP 38/52 | AC 20, T 10, FF 20 | CMD 14 | F +8 R +5 W +11; +2 vs illusions | Init +3 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 4/5, 2nd 2/4, 3rd 1/2 | Active Conditions: comp. languages, shield

Reroll!: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 2 = 25

Estra's face is an enraged snarl as she splutters her way out of the barrel. She flings a both hands wide, grasping at the phantasmal samurai, and violently clenches her fingers.
Casting calm spirit!

Caster level check vs. 10 + haunt's CR: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
If successful, she'll calmly but forcefully tell the others to finish searching the room, because they have about 40 seconds before they all need to leave.


Hinojai

Well, now, Estra acts before Cudak, so raging song would not have been up...


Hinojai

I realize I’ve done a poor job of keeping actions in initiative order, and I apologize for that, especially now when things seem dire. Here’s the round so far as I see it:
Daisley smashes her holy water on the floor. It sizzles and burns.
Estra fails to escape, but she can continue to hold her breath.
Honaire fails his save against the orb’s attack, so he takes the 4 points of non-lethal and may make another save on his turn to escape. DC 15 Reflex or take another Non-lethal Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 1) = 6 as he is jostled by the orb. Should he make his save he takes no additional damage and may act.
Cudak and Gorf, if you would like to change your actions, given the situation, you certainly may.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
”Estra” | Female N Medium Human Spiritualist 7 | HP 38/52 | AC 20, T 10, FF 20 | CMD 14 | F +8 R +5 W +11; +2 vs illusions | Init +3 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 4/5, 2nd 2/4, 3rd 1/2 | Active Conditions: comp. languages, shield

After some rules investigation:
Estra closes her eyes and calms herself. She pictures the calm surface of a forest pool, and a slow procession of spirits wading in to disappear. Calm spirit, haunt's suppressed!

The samurai and orb fade like mist in sunlight. She pulls her head from the barrel and calmly wipes water from her face. "We have about 40 seconds to finish our search and leave."
Quickly-effervescing ectoplasm spatters against the floor as she wrings out her shawl. Her stringy gray hair still wafts like it's suspended in water.

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

"Ah think we should destroy it. Ah got some more holy water here, and ah've heard a tap from a healin' stick can do bad things to ghosties. Let's finish it off!"


”Estra” | Female N Medium Human Spiritualist 7 | HP 38/52 | AC 20, T 10, FF 20 | CMD 14 | F +8 R +5 W +11; +2 vs illusions | Init +3 | Perc: +4 | Speed 30ft | Spells: 1st 4/5, 2nd 2/4, 3rd 1/2 | Active Conditions: comp. languages, shield

Estra nods, the effort of containing the haunt written in her set jaw and furrowed brow. She extends a hand and motions for a holy water.


”Honaire” | N Medium outsider (phantom) 7 | HP 45/51 | AC 22, T 14, FF 20 | CMD 21 | F +6 R +10 W +9 | Init +1 | darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: spiritualist's call (+2 Str/Dex/Cha, 10 minutes)

Honaire moves to shield Estra. A cold hand grips her shoulder protectively.

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

Daisley hands over a holy water and then pulls out a second for herself.


”Honaire” | N Medium outsider (phantom) 7 | HP 45/51 | AC 22, T 14, FF 20 | CMD 21 | F +6 R +10 W +9 | Init +1 | darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active Conditions: spiritualist's call (+2 Str/Dex/Cha, 10 minutes)

Honaire plucks the water from Estra's palm.

Holy water attack when everyone's ready:

Ranged touch: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
Damage: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6


Hinojai

The samurai reappear and the barrel begins filling with ectoplasm!

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

holy water: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

Daisley smashes her holy water to the ground on cue.

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

Gorf smashes his in time with the others!

Holy Water: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

This is like being at a concert.

Holy Water: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4


Hinojai

The holy waters sizzle and smoke upon the floor, and the samurai and ectoplasm fade away. But, for an instant, the spectral image of a familiar Tian woman appears. She raises a large chalice to her face in both hands and chokes down wine until it runs down her chin and robe, before vanishing altogether.

Well done! You search around and find a lockbox, which Daisley can snap open. It contains 400 gold pieces. The only thing else of interest is the book the Cudak found. I’ll give you a chance to recover and then move the group forward later today. There’s only one place left to go: Upstairs to the bedrooms!

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

Gorf keeps the ghost-salt bullet loaded in his gun, checks the barrel, then pats it and says ”Ah’m ready. How ‘bout y’all?”

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

Daisley is ready!


TAFKACT | HP (7 tmp) 53/53 | AC: 19 T:12 FF: 18 | CMB +8, CMD 20 | F: +9 R:+5 W:+5 | Init: +3 | Per:+2, SM:+11 | Melee: +1 Lucerne Hammer, MWK Falchion, MWK Warhammer | Ranged: Com LBow Male Half-Orc Skald 5 | Speed 20ft | Raging song: 15/21 | Spells: 1: 3/4 2: 3/3 Kenning: 1/1 | Active conditions: None

Ready!


Hinojai

GM Screen:

1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

The door off of the atrium balcony slides open to reveal a small foyer.
Closed sliding doors are set in all four walls of this stark room. The wood paneled floor is bare, but on the walls hang paintings depicting life and romance in the court of some great empire.

I’m going to speed you guys a long, if that’s ok.

Estra scans for undead, but doesn’t sense anything. Honaire takes a look and finds the following rooms empty.

Library and Map Room:

Bookshelves line the walls of this room, packed with any number of volumes, scrolls, and folios. In the center of the room and resting on a large colorful rug is a table covered with maps, papers, and writing implements.

This area immediately gives the impression of being in regular use. The maps depict the division of territories and nations prior to the fall of the Lung Wa empire. The papers are examples of recent attempts to practice calligraphy, as indicated by the relative freshness of the parchment and inks. Finally, the books cover a range of different topics from art and philosophy, to economics and military strategy.

Bedroom:

This spacious room appears to be almost too large for its occupant. A small and rumpled futon sits in the corner, next to a low table covered dirty cups and plates. Books are casually strewn about the floor, and the entire room reeks of incense.

GM Screen:

Gorf: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Daisley: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Estra: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
2: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Gorf finds a spellbook! Which I can list if anyone is interested.
Estra finds a particularly banal book amongst those on the floor about river tributaries in Minkai and upon further investigation discovers it’s actually a cleverly disguised journal!

The Journal:
This is the journal of Dagagal the wayang wizard. Bereft of community with his own kind and mistrustful of humans, he threw his lot in with Minasako decades ago. She offered her home in return for his service. The wizard used illusions and stronger magic to discourage visitors from approaching the manor, protecting Minasako so he could study her unusual abilities.

He quickly learned she had performed a series of terrible rituals under the guidance of a local wise-woman named Garrigai who offered Minasako the means to cheat death, to preserve the Way of the Kirin forever. What Minasako didn't know at the time, however, was that Garrigai was in fact a green hag, who played on Minasako's doubts, fears, and insecurities to gradually introduce the otherwise good noblewoman to dark magic.

Minasako destroyed all of her notes concerning the ritual of transformation, but Dagagal has been secretly reconstructing the process.

The lengthy rituals Minasako performed in her journey from mortality to her current state did not just demand violence and blood, but true suffering—the kind that stemmed from heartbreak and crushed hope. It also involved drinking the blood of her victims, a taste she couldn’t at first stomach, so she drowned her victims in wine.

The Way of the Kirin eventually turned their backs on her, forcing her to resort to mercenaries and hired thugs, and by then it was too late. Her decent could not be stopped.

I’ll pause here for you to catch up. Only one door remains. Honaire looks through and sees a living quarter with a large bath tub, filled with some sort of liquid. He sees the top of a head and long black hair floating upon the surface.There’s going to be a cut scene, if you’ll allow me, once you open the door. Get ready!

Silver Crusade

LG Female Half-Elf Cavalier (constable) 7/Paladin 2 | | HP: 83/83 | AC: 24 (16 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: +15 (+17 disarm, +19 grapple, +17 trip), CMD: 31 (33 vs. grapple) | F: +14, R: +8, W: +12 (+2 vs. enchantments) | Init: +8 | Speed 30ft | P: +16 SM +4 | Active conditions: none

Ooh, spooky!

Dark Archive

CG Male Grippli Gunslinger (musket master) 9 | hp 80/80 (NL: ) | AC27 T21 FF19 | F+10 R+14 W+10 | CMB +9 CMD 26 | Init +10 | Speed 30ft, Climb 20ft | Perc+13, SM+4 | Grit 3/4 | Deadly Aim -3/+6 | +1 musket +18/1d10+8 | Active conditions:

"Listen, I'm sure y'all make plenty sense of these books'n whatnot once we got a moment, bur for now I'm all fer gettin' on outta here. Let's finish what we gotta finish and move along!"

Gorf looks to his allies, and when they seem to be ready opens the final door.


Hinojai

This spacious bedroom is finely appointed, with a luxurious futon in the southeastern corner. Alongside it sits a writing desk with several ledgers and record books on top of it. The furnishings in the room are intact and of good quality, but the scent of vinegar is almost overpowering. To the northwest sits an enormous bathtub, almost the size of a vat.

A familiar looking tian woman, her black hair floating upon the vinegar, sits in the tub and peers at the party across the surface. Her head rises up and up, out of the tub, higher and higher. She begins to laugh as her head detaches from her body and floats toward the ceiling!

Seeing the looks on the party’s faces, she says, in Common:

“Don't presume to judge me. Countless others have done worse to secure their immortality. How many murders buy a single vial of sun orchid elixir?” She chuckles throatily.

Initiative:

Gorf: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Daisley: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Estra: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
The Artist Formerly Known As Cudak Tanagak: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Minasako: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Daisley
Minasako
The Artisit Formerly Known as Cudak Tanagak
Gorf
Estra

Map and pic are up! ]Daisley may act! Minasako is 10’ up, flying above the tub.


"*BZZZT* Botting for Daaaaiiiisleeeey:"

Daisley moves forward, sword in hand, and readies an action to swing should the creature come within reach.

Readied attack:

greatsword power attack: 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 11 - 2 = 21
that's going to hurt: 2d6 + 7 + 6 ⇒ (1, 4) + 7 + 6 = 18


Hinojai

Minasako casts a spell and black tentacles erupt from the floor of the room!

Everyone in the area or entering the area must beat a CMB: 1d20 + 8 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 4 + 1 = 23 or be grappled!

Daisley
Minasako
The Artisit Formerly Known as Cudak Tanagak
Gorf
Estra

351 to 400 of 452 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug Henderson’s The Haunting of Hinojai (Closed) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.