GM Cyrioul's Carrion Crown (Inactive)

Game Master Jason Lillis

Cursed and haunted, Ustalav rests upon the bones of the foul empire of the legendary lich-archmage known as the Whispering Tyrant. In the centuries since the undead conqueror’s defeat, the land has been resettled, but superstition and horror still lurk in the country’s shadows.


251 to 298 of 298 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

Baer sniffs the wind around the prison as if the winds might identify all the things that might be wrong with the place. She will walk around the prison entire, looking for items of interest before rejoining the group at the front gate.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 Perception


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

Griar chuckles. "Well, lets see if it is locked first." Accepting the offered crowbar, Griar steps up close to the gate and gives it a quick examination, looking for trap triggers, or other signs of danger.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Then he pushes or pulls at the gate. Griar knows that doors usually swing to whichever side the hinges are on. If the hinges are on the inside, the gate should swing in. If they are on the outside then the gates should swing outwards to open.

Assuming the gates are hard to open.

"OK, Kwoon. On three. 1, 2, 3."

Strength check vs front gate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Edit: I forgot to make my perception roll to examine the gate. It's added now.


The gate is - in fact - unlocked, and Griar is able to easily open it and enter. Upon doing so, however, he is instantly struck by an incredibly intense rush of claustrophobia, and for a split second, it feels like his skin is on fire!

Griar Will Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

The moment passes, and Griar shakes off a cold sweat and the feeling of being pressed upon.

Sorry for delay, my wife lined up a pair of farewell dinners combined with busy work days. What do you do?


Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

Is there a map we can look at?


Sure, I'll try to find one that doesn't violate the CUP.


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

Griar looks around wildly. "What the hell!" Griar draws his great sword almost by reflex, though how that close, stifling feeling could be fought with a blade, he does not know.

Shaken, the paladin looks around the prison interior for signs danger.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

GM:

I use the Ditzie website for maps in my games. Once I have the map uploaded, I also upload a black square. Once I resize the map and set it as background, I then put the black square and resize it to cover stuff I don't want the players to see, then lock that image so only the GM can move it. You can put a lot of black squares all over the place if needed. If this sounds like something you might be interested in, let me know. Ditzie is complicated for the first 5 minutes.

One MAP Example

Same MAP but with Blackout Box

Obviously the blackout box here doesn't really make sense, but I used it to just make a point if you are trying to cover up some parts of the map you don't want players to see. You can make as many as you want, any size you want, and lock them. Unlocking them is just a double click to the menu.


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

Baer smiles at the foolish human, then passes through after Griar.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Will Save - if necessary

"Let us take a look around."


Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

"Is there some sort of problem? Something magic about?" Marckus inquires.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

"It seems to be gone now, but for an instant my skin felt like it was burning, and I felt imprisoned, and like I was in a coffin, or something."


Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

"How unpleasant. Let us hope any curses have passed now."
Will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Hung Hei Kwoon wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Thanks, Kwoon. I'll keep you posted. For now, still looking for a map that might work and not be really problematic legal-wise.


As you explore the outside grounds of the prison, you can easily see the following:

Two old stone towers stand along the soutwestern protion of the wall. The wooden roof on each has collapsed and its crumbling walls thick with ivy, extends a further ten feet above the twenty-foot-high wall. Though the southern tower appears unoccupied, it is clear even from casual observation that the western tower is occupied. A dozen or so rats, with matted hair and beady eyes crawl between toppled stones.

A small brick manor house is overgrown with thick sheets of gray-green ivy. The roof sags ominously, and the front door hangs askew.

A two-story stone building looms in the center of the prison grounds. Ivy and moss cling tenaciously to the walls, while above the wooden shingles of the roof are often missing entirely, exposing the wooden rafters of the upper structure to the sky. Here and there, leering stone gargoyles perch on the eaves, once functioning as drainspouts and decorations but now seeming almost to serve a more ominous role of sentinels. Many of these stone decorations have crumbled away and lie in ruined piles on the soggy ground below. Windows in the building's facade are narrow and blocked by grills of rusty iron bars. Stone columns support a slumping wooden balcony over the building's wooden front doors, both of which hang askew and reveal dark glimpses of chambers within.

Two balconies, one on either end of the prison, may offer access to the upper floor.

You can make perception checks to find more.


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

Baer looks around, trying to ascertain where the Professor might have died.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 Perception - Manor House

"May I suggest we start with the Manor house, then move to the prison itself?"


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

"Sounds like a plan."

Griar looks around the inside of the abandoned prison, seeking signs of danger.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Baer is the first to spot a rusty brown stain on the ground near the prison's facade. A broken gargoyle's head lies on the ground nearby, also stained a rusty brown.

Griar notes with interest that the balcony above the front entrance is rather unsound, not designed to hold more than a child's weight.

Perhaps more curiously, both note that the ivy and grass has been cleared along the edge where the foundation meets the ground, and along this edge a series of sinuous runes has been etched and then smeared with blood. The
runes go around the entire building’s foundation save for the northeast corner, where part of the building has flooded and the foundation has crumbled away. The writing appears to be in a familliar, Varisian script, but as none of you speak that particular language, none can currently decipher the purpose of these runes.

Regarding the lack of an exterior map, just let me know if I can further describe the grounds. I do have maps for the interior that are usable.


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

"Writing in the Varisian language. I don't suppose any of you can read it? I very much doubt that it was part of the original decor."
Griar points out the writing.


Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

"These are not the symbols of my people. However, Hung Hei Kwoon can copy things very well. Does anyone have something I might write with."

If anyone has parchment and pen, he can copy the symbols/writings and take them back to town. "Doing this by hand takes time. I hope sometime in the future there can be magic that makes this easier."


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

Baer nods and hands Kwoon her ink and a piece of parchment. She feels nervous handing over her good pen, but decides to trust Kwoon with a valued possession.

When he is finished, she will blow the ink dry and place the copy in her scrollcase for safekeeping.

Any knowledge check for the runes? On a hunch, Baer will cast Detect Magic to see if the runes have any latent power.


The runes themselves do not appear to radiate any particular magical energy, and without translation, none of you are sure that you could make out the particulars of what they might have been used for. 

It looks like it will take Griar about thirty minutes to fully copy all the runes, as further inspection reveals that they continue around the bulding, as though to encircle it.


Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

"This could take some time. Should we explore a bit first?" Marckus suggests.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

Baer nods to Marckus to lead on.

Please say where you want to go. Baer will follow.


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

"I think I'll stay here with Kwoon and keep watch while he works." Griar looks toward the ruined tower where the rats were seen. "If those rats swarm out of there, we will need to leave, and fast."
Griar knows that rats don't usually attack humans, but then stifling feelings of burning skin don't ordinarily happen either. This is no ordinary ruin.


Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

"If you two are to stay until the work is done, I think it best that we remain in close proximity." Marckus says as he draws his sickle. "And that we be prepared."

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

How long before I finish copying this stuff down?


Click here for a description of the prison's exterior components.

Copying the runes takes the better part of an hour, but you do get a very detailed look at the exterior of the prison. It appears that you can access the inside of the prison by:

1) Entering through the open front doors
2) Climbing to an upper balcony
3) Swimming through the pond to a hole in the exterior wall
4) Prying bars off a prison window to get in.

You can also see that the small house that is exterior to the prison is not in very good shape, and too much movement inside could be problematic.

Where do you go?


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

"Before we go anywhere else, have we been able to find where the Professor died? I had thought it was outside the prison, but I may be remembering incorrectly," Baer asks.

Baer walks around the prison to look for a place where the Professor might have been killed.

If she fails to find anything, she will be open to trying the front doors.


Earlier: Baer is the first to spot a rusty brown stain on the ground near the prison's facade. A broken gargoyle's head lies on the ground nearby, also stained a rusty brown.


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)
GM Cyrioul wrote:
Earlier: Baer is the first to spot a rusty brown stain on the ground near the prison's facade. A broken gargoyle's head lies on the ground nearby, also stained a rusty brown.

Lol. Apologies. I thought that was part of the runes. No, I don't know why either.

Baer goes to inspect the statue head and surrounding area. She takes care not to disturb the crime scene though it probably had already been disturbed.

Take 20 Perception = 24


No worries!

There appear to be an abundance of footprints in the area, too many to single out which prints were made near the date of death.


Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

"What've you found there, Baer?" Marckus asks as he approaches, careful not to disturb her work.


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

Baer, seeing nothing to see here, Yes, I just wrote that. moves to the front doors, waiting for others to join her or decide on another route.

I had hoped for some excitement.


Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

Hung Hei Kwoon wanders over to the old manor house. "Looks rather dangerous. Let me be extra careful." Noting the roof sags "ominously", he will take a look inside first.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

"That must be the stone that killed Prof. Lorrimor. If It was hurled down, there may be evidence left behind by whoever did the deed." Griar points out the balcony above. "That looks very fragile, but if someone got to the upper floor to attack the Professor, there must be a stairway inside that is sturdy enough to climb."

Griar looks around at his companions. "Let's keep on our toes here, this is not a safe place."

Griar prepares to enter the front door, following Kwoon.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Can you use Aid an other with perception? It doesn't seem like you should be able to, but the rules don't explicitly say you can't either. (Unless I missed it somewhere.)


Baer and Griar see the following inside the front door of the prison: This was once a wide hall flanked by a pair of waiting rooms, but the foyer to Harrowstone now lies in ruins. With little left to hold up the ceiling, the wooden beams above sag dramatically. The wall to the north contains a large pair of oaken doors.
I will be able to post an interior map later on today.

Kwoon looks inside the dilapidated manor house, and thinks that it might take about ten minutes to perform a thorough search of the house. However, it looks like it has been open to the elements for some time, and that it is unlikely tat anything of value remains inside.

Re: Perception and Aid Another - If you can clearly see and communicate with a teammate, I think that it makes sense to be able to aid another (pointing out small details, giving an overall sense of the space, etc.). If you cannot clearly communicate with a teammate, then no, you would not be able to aid another. I'll let you know if it's a problem at any point.


Stats:
F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)
Marckus wrote:
"What've you found there, Baer?"

"This must be the bludgeoning item that caved in the Professor's head. This gargolye skull," Baer points, explaining to Marckus. "There is not much else to see here, outside of Griar's observation. Tis very strange."

Baer won't be going on the unstable balcony, but looks from the ground at a safe distance.

"In time, we should take a look up there...or from the room that leads to it."

Baer waits entry into the interior.


Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

"Well someone will have to summon the courage to enter these dangerously unstable structures." Marckus points out.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

Hung Hei Kwoon will try to not touch any part of the walls or support structure while looking around inside the manor house.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


GM Screen:
  • 1d100 ⇒ 66
  • 1d100 ⇒ 69
  • 1d100 ⇒ 24
  • 1d100 ⇒ 100
  • 1d100 ⇒ 85
  • 1d100 ⇒ 94
  • 1d100 ⇒ 53
  • 1d100 ⇒ 100
  • 1d100 ⇒ 49
  • 1d100 ⇒ 47

    Kwoon Reflex Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
    Kwoon Reflex Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

    1d6 ⇒ 5
    1d6 ⇒ 2


  • Kwoon begins to explore the manor house, and though he is light on his feet, he is looking around for little more than a few minutes - finding little but floorboards, peeling wallpaper and moulding furniture - before a portion of the ceiling collapses around him, scratching him with timbers as the house settles on itself.

    Kwoon takes 5 points of damage from the house falling apart around him. Dk you continue exploring the manor house, Kwoon?


    Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

    Pfft. No, I'll leave the manor. So much for not touching the walls or support structures.


    It is a very unstable structure.

    The front doors of the prison creak ominously,a and it is quite dark inside, even in the morning half-loght that comes through the mist.

    FYI, i will be on the road all day tomorrow through Friday late afternoon/evening. Sorry for the delay.


    Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

    "You have quite a gash there, Kwoon, isn't it?" Marckus confirms before continuing. "I can see to it if you like, though my magic is fairly limited."


    Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

    "It's amazing. That building has been there for a long time, I don't touch the walls or structure, and it then decides to fall in on me, as if my mere presence in the building caused it to fall. If I had bumped into the wall or disturbed it, perhaps. But like magic, it falls on top of me. If you can magically heal me, that would be great."


    Stats:
    F HalfOrc Barrister 7 (HP 57/57| AC:21 | T:13 | FF:18 | CMB: +9 | CMD:24 | Fort:+7 | Ref:+6 | Will:+6 | Init:+3| Perc: +16 | Speed: 30 ft.)

    Baer nods at Kwoon's description, wondering if there were magics out there that would act like that. Nonetheless, she is pleased to see that Kwoon made it out.

    "Come along, we have much more to do."

    Baer returns to the front doors of the main prison, hoping to eventually get to the room to which the unstable balcony is attached.

    "We should go this way."


    Male Ifrit Slayer 1| AC 16| T 13 | F 13 |HP 12| CMD 16 | F +3 | R +6 | W +2 | Init +3 |Per +4 |

    [b]"I'll take the lead this time."{/b] Griar looks around the entrance to the prison, then steps within, pausing a moment to let his eyes adjust to the interior conditions.

    Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


    Half-Orc Brawler/Rogue 14 - HP: 94/130, AC: 32/T: 19/FF: 26 +Def.Arw. - INIT: +3, Percep: +20/27 <see in dark> F: +18-2/R: +19/W: +17 - CMB: +21 - CMD: 39, Speed: 30ft

    Marckus places a hand on Kwoon's injuries and states an authoritative prayer to Abadar, issuing a formal acquisition order for healing in the amount provided by a spell of Cure Light Wounds.
    clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

    -Posted with Wayfinder


    Male Human Monk (Flowing/Qinggong/Vow)/2 (HP 19/19 | AC:16 | T:16 | FF:12 | CMB: 5 | CMD:17 | Fort:+6 | Ref:+7 | Will:+6 | Init:+4 | Perc: +7 | Speed 30)

    "Thank you very much."

    251 to 298 of 298 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Cyrioul's Carrion Crown - The Haunting of Harrwostone All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.