GM Brunoreturns' Shattered Star

Game Master brunoreturns

Venture Captain Sheila Heidmarch needs your help to recover a lost field agent.

Do you have what it takes to serve the Pathfinder Society and save the world?

Party Loot Spreadsheet
Player Handouts


3,201 to 3,250 of 3,402 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

Shattered Star Maps

The giant tentacled creature grabs Squint's attention, but he has no idea what it might be.

Knowledge(Planes) is correct, but the DC is prohibitive. There is also a Knowledge(Geography) check to be found

Paeral detects no traps, hidden creatures, or anything of value. The hall extends far to the east and the mural occupies the entire northern wall.

As he moves around, Paeral determines that there is a passageway the exits the hall to the north-east.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

The mural grabs Deric's Attention as well, but he knows he is too stupid to figure it out. He does his best to memorize it.

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Squint recalls something.

"This would be something that Venture-Captain Heidmarch - Canayven, not Sheila - wants us to bring back evidence of. Barkot?"


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

"Yeah, on it."

Barkot pulls out his journal and pen and makes a rough sketch of the mural.

Knowledge local? or history to recognize the face carved in the mountain? Any chance we have seen her depicted elsewhere in The Crow?


Shattered Star Maps

The face on the mountain is not familiar to Barkot. Perhaps the mountain still exists in the world, but without some basic knowledge of Golarian geography, he just doesn't know.


Shattered Star Maps

RetCon: Yes, the face is quite clearly that of Alaznist, just like almost every other prominent piece of art in this structure.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

"...This is clearly Alaznist. How did we miss that?"

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral will warily open the southern door...


Shattered Star Maps

The door opens onto a short hallway (Slide 2).

There are two passages to the east and a passageway and door to the west.


Shattered Star Maps

After a few minutes of work, Barkot's sketch is finished.

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

I'm confused. Where are we?


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Looks like the big room at the bottom of the map on slide 1 is now the top of the map on slide 2.

Barkot closes his journal and nods to the others. "Alright, where da youse guys wanna go next? Suzy-Q said ta go east ta get ta Lord Bazmatazz, right? But I t'ink we oughtta check out what's behind dat door, first. Just in case, right?"

Edit - which I see Paëral has already opened.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral looks through the open door and then back to Barkot...

"We can check out the passages beyond this door...or continue down the hallway..."


Shattered Star Maps
Jacobadiah 'Squint' Nirodin wrote:
I'm confused. Where are we?

Barkot has it right. The current room is on both slides. I didn't move the figures yet as I wasn't sure which way you were going to want to go.


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

"OK, I vote we go t'rough da door an' explore ta da sout' first. All in favor?" Matching word to deed, Barkot heads over to join Paëral at the door.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"With you, Barkot". Deric readies his greataxe.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral nods and moves ahead to do his stealthy scout thing...

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20
Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Best scouting rolls ever!


Shattered Star Maps

Reaching the first intersection, Paeral looks in both directions and sees plain looking corridors. The faint sound of dripping water can be heard from the western corridor.

Deric, responding to the Suzerain's suggestion urges Paeral to check out the Eastern corridor. Walking quietly in that direction, the party soon comes to a door set at an angle to the corridor.

Slides 1 and 2 have been swapped in the map deck. We are now on Slide 1


Shattered Star Maps

Examining the door shows nothing of worry, so the party opens it and carefully looks inside, revealing a corridor that appears to curve in an arc.

The walls, floor, and ceiling of this curving corridor are sheathed in rusty plates of iron that have been bolted in place. Scorch marks mar this armor plating at periodic intervals, and the gnawed fragments of blackened bones are scattered here and there. Row after row of tiny runes have been etched into each iron plate.

Those who can read Thassilonian recognize the runes an can make out the words, but the unfamiliar words make no sense. They give the impression of magical foumulae of some kind.

Thassilonian and Knowledge (Arcana) required for this one


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"This looks like it may be a circular corridor. There is no real front or rear if this is the case. It is also a bottleneck on the forward and rear. Should I take point? If so north or south?"

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

”This is creepy,” Squint mutters from Ulyi’s back. ”I’d check to see if this is magic, but it might not be safe to check.”

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral draws his bow and shrugs. ”Makes sense to go north...I’ll take point...” The rogue heads out doing his scout thing...

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"Lead the way silent one." Deric backs up the rogue at a safe distance to not alert anything with his clattering armor.


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Barkot tries to avoid brushing against the rusted walls with his armor or weapons as he walks.

"Hey, Squint, Rei, mebbe one a' youse unnerstan' dis stuff, but I got questions. All da udder T'assilonian stuff we seen has been in pretty good shape 'cept fer a little dust an' grime, or when somebody busted it up on purpose. So why's all da metal in dis hallway rusty? An' why's it all covered in metal in da first place?"


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

"Those are good questions, Barkot, and I wish I had answers for them," Reillana gives the rows upon rows of etched runes a worried glance. "Back home, skilled mages sometime ward our vaults with symbols that can kill or incapacitate those who try to read them. I don't think we're likely to encounter such powerful magic here...but I don't know that, so everyone be careful, okay?"

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

"I'll go ahead and check if it's magical, Barkot. That's a good point you make."[/b]

Squint concentrates on the rune-covered metal, trying to determine any magical force.

Cast detect magic. Hold breath.


Shattered Star Maps

As the party steps into the corridor, the sounds of braying, like a hunting dog of some kind echo through the corridors. The sound causes goosebumps to form on everyone's arms.

The braying sounds again, and it seems to be coming from every direction at once.

Carefully, the party inches along the northern corridor, which comes to a turn to the right where it joins a concentric arc that also leads in both directions.

An opening that appears to lead further toward the center of the imagined circle can be seen to the west.

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

"What is THAT?!" Squint wonders in a hushed tone, eyes scanning about wildly as he tries to shrink into his saddle on Ulyi's back.

Knowledge Planes (maybe?): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

" The howling of the Cŵn Annwn? Not good if so."


Shattered Star Maps

As the party waits to see what the braying is, Paeral sees what appears to be a large, lanky wolf round the corner. It stands about five feet tall at the shoulder and is covered in red fur.

The wolf has flames in place of eyes and smoke curls from between its jaws. Looking up, it sees Paeral, lets out a victorious series of barks, and leaps toward the elf.

Initiative:

Paëral: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Barkot: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Squint: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Deric: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Reillana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Wolf: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Shattered Star Maps

Round 1
BOLD may act

Squint
Ulyi
Paeral
Deric -0 (DEX -1)

Wolf
Reillana
Barkot -0 (DEX -1)

Silver Crusade

Gender Neutral | hp 25/25 | AC 18 (t10; ff16) CMD 17 (ff15) | F*+4 R*+5 W*+1 (*+4 vs poison, petrify) | Perc +6 SM +0 | speed 40 Agathion Eidolon

Ulyi moves past Paeral in the semilunar hall in order to get a glimpse of the four-legged foe, skidding around the corner. They then snake their neck out and take a bite.

Melee Bite Attack, Reach: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 131d8 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral moves 10’ SE and fires at the wolf...

Longbow: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 + 1 = 21
Cold Iron Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 1 = 8

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

”Let’s clear the halls for our friends, Ulyi!” Squint announces, lowering his lance as he moves past Paeral.

Ride Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Pass. I’m not sure if I get to use charge for this, as Squint is moving on Ulyi, and moves 15 feet in a straight line. I’ll roll for it as if, but remove one die of damage if it’s not the case. In any sense, he will use his Reckless Luck trait to get a +2 to his AC until next turn. He will also use his last Adaptable Luck point for the day, which triggers a bonus from Fate’s Favoured as well.

Melee Attack, Reach, Silver, Charge: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 4 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 212d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 5) + 4 = 13


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

Deric double moves to the wolf.


Shattered Star Maps

Squint and Ulyi move into range and strike out at the wolf. Ulyi's bite misses the wolf, but the lance strikes. Paeral follows up with an arrow strike.

The wolf opens its mouth and releases a jet of flame over Deric, Ulyi, and Squint, then takes a 5-foot step away. (Knowledge Planes is allowed now that you can see it @Squint)

Fire Breath: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 4) = 10 (Reflex 15 for 1/2)

Braying continues, and clarifies from behind the party as another wolf rushes up behind and moves into melee range with Reillana and Barkot.

Round 1
BOLD may act

Squint -10
Ulyi -10
Paeral
Deric -10 (DEX -1)
Wolf -14
Blue
Reillana
Barkot -0 (DEX -1)

I'll fix the map in a couple of hours. All figures are in the right place

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Reflex Save (Squint): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Reflex Save (Ulyi): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Questions about these wolves:
Questions in order of interest: damage reduction, ranked saves, special abilities, defenses, special attacks, tragic backstory.

Barkot draws his weapon, shouting bits of information about the wolves to his companions, then lunges at the creature.

"Soralyon, help us clear dese monsters outta dis ancient monument wit'out gettin' us killed!"

Melee attack, damage in spoilers: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Barkot's choice of weapon depends on the result of his knowledge check: silver light mace (1d6 + 2) if the creature has DR that is bypassed by silver and/or bludgeoning, otherwise masterwork longsword (1d8 + 2).

If silver mace, damage roll:
Silver light mace: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

If mwk longsword, crit confirmation & damage rolls:
Mwk longsword, base damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Crit confirm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 121d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Shattered Star Maps

They are Hellhounds.

No DR, Good Fort and Reflex saves. They breathe fire.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Squint Knowledge Planes Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

I forgot this earlier...


Shattered Star Maps

Squint is not familiar with Hellhounds, but hears Barkot's information.

Barkot's longsword strikes the hellhound, but does not confirm.

Round 1
BOLD may act

Squint -5
Ulyi -5
Paeral
Deric -10 (DEX -1)
Wolf -14
Blue -10
Reillana
Barkot -0 (DEX -1)


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

Leaping away from the snarling hellhound, Reillana levels her hand crossbow at its slavering face and fires.

5ft step, Arcane Strike, attack
Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 4 = 17 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Shattered Star Maps

Reillana's bolt hits the hellhound.

Round 2
BOLD may act

Squint -5
Ulyi -5
Paeral
Deric -10 (DEX -1)

Wolf -14
Blue -15
Reillana
Barkot -0 (DEX -1)

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Ulyi moves past Deric with Squint in tow. The halfling attempts to re-adjust his lance.

Ride Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Squint lowers his lance and attempts to skewer the (red) wolf.

Melee Attack, Reach, Silver: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 171d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

"Hellhounds?! Never heard of them!" he calls out.

Silver Crusade

Gender Neutral | hp 25/25 | AC 18 (t10; ff16) CMD 17 (ff15) | F*+4 R*+5 W*+1 (*+4 vs poison, petrify) | Perc +6 SM +0 | speed 40 Agathion Eidolon

Ulyi shakes his head derisively at Squint and snakes a bite out of the canine minion of hell.

Melee Attack, Reach: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 151d8 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

"Dey're like really big dogs!" Barkot shouts over his shoulder. "But from Hell! Oh yeah, also, watch out - dey breat' fire!"

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral moves 5' NE and fires twice at the northernmost hellhound...

Longbow: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 23
Cold Iron Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 1 = 4

Longbow: 1d20 + 7 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 7 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 19
Cold Iron Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 1 = 6


Shattered Star Maps

Ulyi misses, the other attacks hit. Both hellhounds are still alive.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

Deric plans to change that. No buffs effective at this time?
masterwork greataxe PA: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
damage: 1d12 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21

3,201 to 3,250 of 3,402 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Brunoreturns Shattered Star All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.