GM Brunoreturns' Shattered Star

Game Master brunoreturns

Venture Captain Sheila Heidmarch needs your help to recover a lost field agent.

Do you have what it takes to serve the Pathfinder Society and save the world?

Party Loot Spreadsheet
Player Handouts


3,151 to 3,200 of 3,414 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

Shattered Star Maps

The voice becomes a little more sly. "If gazing upon The Suzerain will change your mind, so be it. I know. You want to gain the rewards offered, by completing my tasks."

Deric:
Please make Will DC 17 (in a spoiler, please). If you fail, completing the two tasks presented seems like the most reasonable thing in the world. You want the promised riches and power.

As it says these words, those of you with darkvision (dim light for others) can see a tiny red-skinned lizard-like creature with bat wings and a long tail whipping behind it. The tail has a stinger like a scorpion's.

Knowledge (Planes)

The creature is about 40ft south of Deric. If anyone wants to attack it, I'll put it on the map.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

Spoiler:

will: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Knowledge Planes Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

"That doesn't look like one of King Mukk-Mukk's friends..." Squint hesitates.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

Stepping cautiously into the room, Reillana stares intently at the little red suzerain. She gives a very small nod of thanks to Squint for his explanation. "Little Erebus, you say? Does that make you a denizen of the Pit, O Suzerain?"


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"Completing the two tasks presented seems like the most reasonable thing in the world to me. I would like the promised riches and power."


Shattered Star Maps

The Suzerain cocks his head and peers at Reillana as he hovers. "This is my domain now, silly mortal."

He grins as Deric responds. "Good. Your leader has spoken. I shall await your return." Afterwards, he winks out of sight again. Deric briefly hears the sound of bat wings above him.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

"Yes of course," Reillana says drolly. "This villain Baz, how will we recognize him?"

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Squint's head swivels wildly between the strange red flying lizard and Deric.

"We will NOT be ----- wait, WHAT?!"


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"We are burning daylight now. Let us rescue the minions. Then, kill Lord Baz. I look forward to returning the disgusting head as proof. Great riches will be our reward, and the honor of becoming The Suzerain's vassals. I think we should proceed west through this door." Deric proceeds west through the open doorway.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral shrugs, draws his bow, and follows Deric...


Shattered Star Maps

From the other end of the room, the Suzerain shouts, "Not here, you fools! Lord Baz is to the east!"


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"Our quarry is to the east." Deric moves east. Seeing a wall he moves another 20 feet south looking for a way east. "Can you guide us Suzerain?"


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Barkot stares at the creature in surprise. "So dat's whatcha are, Suzie-Q! Guys, yer not gonna believe dis, but dis guy is a ... whaddaya mean, leader? He's da new guy! Hey - where'd he go? Guys, dat creep wuz a ... Deric, where're ya goin'?"

Barkot's gotta know something!

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

”Why does Deric sound like that?” Squint asks with a touch of panic. ”Deric doesn’t sound like that, right? Guys??”


Shattered Star Maps

Barkot knows that the creature is an Imp. The least of the true devils. They serve an important role in Hell focusing on corrupting mortals.

You can ask two questions

There are no further replies from the Suzerain.


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Question 1: what the heck did it do to Deric? (Special abilities?)
Question 2: Any other special attacks?


Shattered Star Maps

Barkot knows that Imps have several spell like abilities, including Suggestion. Deric has apparently decided to play this as if he has been reduced to a 3 Intelligence

They also have a poison stinger amd similar DR and immunities to most other devils.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

"I haven't known Deric any longer than you have, Squint, but...no, I don't think he usually sounds like that." Reillana watches the big human warily. "I suspect the Suzerain used some sort of magic to persuade Deric than anything, ah, "Suzie-Q" says is a good idea." She drops her voice very low, so only the halfling (and maybe Ulyi) can hear. "Something to keep in mind if we have to fight through, though."


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)
Barkot wrote:
Deric, where're ya goin'?"

"To slay some evil. You are up for that aren't you?"


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Barkot stows his wand and starts trotting after Deric. "Yeah, sure. Right behind ya, O Fearless Leader." He pulls out his silver mace as he goes, just in case the imp shows up again.

He nudges Squint and nods to the others as he passes them. "Da enemy of my enemy an' all dat, right? Less go see dis Lord Baz. Mebbe he c'n do somet'hing ta snap Deric outta dat spell."


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"Snap me out of what spell, Barkot?"

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

”You’re.....SLAYING...spell? Because you’re so interested in slaying something, right, Barkot?”

Squint directs “eyes” at Barkot.


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Barkot misses Squint's cue. "Da one dat imp cast on ya ta getcha ta go kill dis Lord Baz guy. It's fine, nuttin ta be 'shamed of," he says with a placating wave of his hand. "We're all willin' ta help, it coulda happened ta any of us. We'll go find Lord Baz, do what needs doin', and getcha fixed right up. Right, guys?"

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

".....uh......" Squint looks around uncomfortably, pointedly avoiding looking at Deric.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"If the two of you think I am under a spell, I must trust you as I do with my life. It just seems like the right thing to do. I think I thought this out properly. Rei, Pae?, do you think I am under a spell? A slaying spell to be precise."


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

Reillana hesistates. "You...don't seem yourself. It's not unlikely you were charmed, but Barkot isn't wrong--there doesn't seem to be any harm in playing along and seeing what this Lord Baz is about."


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"I trust you, Rei. I do seem to be more motivated than usual. It is good to hear that you all agree this is the action to take." Deric continues south.


Shattered Star Maps

As the party proceeds south, they hear The Suzerain's high pitched voice coming from that direction and speaking in a guttural, sinister sounding language.

Infernal:
"Let these primes pass and come back. They are working for me."

The hallway opens up into an open room that appears to have once been an alchemical laboratory, though most of the equipment has been smashed.

Craft (Alchemy) or Knowledge (Arcana) DC 18:
The equipment appears to be the kind of equipment that would be used to distill and enhance potions. Some of the equipment is similar to what alchemists use to make mutagens.

Six Lemures mill about the room. They look in your direction, but do not attack.

The party also sees a stone door on the western side of the hallway.


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Craft (alchemy): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

"Huh," Barkot mutters. "I t'ought dis place mighta been an alchemist's lab, long time ago. Guess I wuz wrong."

He nudges Deric. "Whaddaya t'ink, Deric? Are dose Suzie-Q's minions?"


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

"They do appear peaceful, Barkot. A fair assumption on your part. I was suspecting the same, myself. Shall we proceed? Deric looks down at the greataxe in his hands and moves further south.

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Linguistics Check to recognise Abyssal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

”What was that? What is she saying?” Squint squeaks.

Inside the room with the lemures, Squint pauses with his lance in hand.

”....uhhh....” he says to a lack of armed response on his team’s part.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

Paëral eyes the lemures warily before checking out the stone door...

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Shattered Star Maps

The door does not appear trapped, but it has shifted in the door frame and will need to be forced.

DC 22 Strength check to open the door

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

”Gonna take one of you strong ‘uns to force open this door...it’s beyond me...”


Shattered Star Maps
Jacobadiah 'Squint' Nirodin wrote:
[dice=Linguistics Check to recognise Abyssal]1d20+6

Squint is not familiar with the language being spoken, but he does know that Infernal is the language of the Nine Hells and that it appeared that a devil was speaking to other devils.


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

How many of us can aid an attempt?


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

Deric leans on the door to see if he can free it.
str: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Male CG Half-Orc (Shaman's Apprentice) Oracle (Seeker) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC 19 T 12 FF 17 | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +3, R: +3, W: +2 | Init: +2 | Perc: +5 (darkvision), SM: +3 | Shield ON | Speed 30/20 | longsword +4 (1d8+2/19-20), silver light mace +4 (1d6+2), whip +4 (1d3+2 nonlethal), light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20) | Spells: 1st 4/6| *Active: poisoned (-1 Dex dmg)

Barkot stands next to Deric and shoves on the door as well.

Strength check, Aid Deric: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13


Shattered Star Maps

One aid sounds about right for a door, and that works.

With an explosion of dust, the door slams open revealing an ancient storage room piled high with the crumbling remains of crates barrels, urns, and casks.

When the dust clears, Barkot notices what appears to be metallic legs sticking out from under some fallen crates. After a minute or two of clearing rotten wood away, you reveal an odd contraption that resembles a three-legged, four-armed humanoid made of iron and brass that has not corroded.

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

"That devil back there said something to those lemures - OTHER devils," Squint says, following along at the rear of the group. "And we're following the directions of that first devil? This just does not feel wise..."

He catches a glimpse of the non-corroded contraption.

"Hunh," he grunts, then concentrates.

Casting detect magic.


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

Refusing to take her eyes off the lemures, Reillana slowly backs through the door.

"It's not that you're wrong, Squint, but just with that blue spider-obsessed 'king' it's refreshing to meet someone who will talk and not just attack us on sight. Though the little red bastard is probably even less reliable than the blue king."

Helping Barkot clear away the falled crates, she nudges the metallic thing sprawled on the floor. Does it have any weapon damage or other signs of what laid it low?

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22


Shattered Star Maps

The contraption does radiate magic. Knowledge (Arcana) may reveal more information.

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

"It's magical," Squint offers, "but I never learned much about book stuff about magic. Someone else wanna try?"

Squint has one Knowledge: Planes. He has a drawback that makes it such that he'll only ever be able to have one knowledge.


Human Fighter (Two Handed) 3, |HP 31/31| AC 24/20-11-19| Init +7| Perc +1| F+5, R+2, W+1 (Dex -1) CMB +8 (+9 sunder); CMD 19 (20 vs sunder)

Deric inspects the contraption to see if it could be dangerous when functional. He even tries to discern what other purpose it could have.
perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Shattered Star Maps

The contraption has no obvious damage. Deric notes that it has arms and legs made out of metal that would certainly hurt if a person were hurt by it, but it does not seem to be designed for combat.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

The rogue shrugs. ”Perhaps Lady Heidmarch would be interested in this thing...or perhaps we could sell it...we should salvage it once we’re done here...”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shattered Star Maps

Leaving the contraption for now, the party returns to the main hallway and proceeds. The hall turns to the east, then down a set of stairs where it opens up into a long hall.

A line of pillars runs down the center of this hall, between which lie the ruined remains of what was once an immense magical laboratory. Crumbled tables, broken stone urns, rusted cauldrons, and ancient fragments of broken glass lie scattered throughout.

The northern wall depicts a vast mural of armies of deformed monsters and demons gathering on the shores of a mountainous island. Above, a woman’s face has been carved into the mountaintop, and an immense bridge arches out from just below this woman’s face. Below the mountain, at the end of a side view of a tangled network of caverns, lies a vast underground vault in which an immense monstrosity of tentacles surrounds a central fanged mouth; within the mouth glares an angry red eye.

The hall appears empty. The crumbled debris on the floor constitutes difficult terrain for the entire room. The long hall proceeds east as far as Paeral's darkvision can see. There is a closed door immediately to the south.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf CG / UC Rogue / 3rd | HP:24/24 | AC:18 T:15 FF:13| CMB:3 CMD:18| Saves F:+2 R:+8 W:+2 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+7 | Per: +9

With bow drawn, Paëral moves stealthily and warily into the hall to get a better look...he’ll gravitate towards the southern door unless something else revealed grabs his attention...

Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29
Perception: 1d10 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

Silver Crusade

Male Halfling Summoner (Unchained) 3 | hp 25/25 | AC 15 (t11; ff13) CMD 15 (ff13) | init +6 | F* +3 R* +3 W* +2 (*+2 vs fear) | Perc +1 SM -1 | Speed 15 |

Squint stares with alarm at the mural.

Knowledge Planes Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

"Keep an eye out, Ulyi....I mean....um....yeah."


BUFFS: none CONDITIONS: none LN Arcane-Duelist3 l 24/24hp l F +2, R +6, W +3 l AC16; T12; FF14 l Ini +5 l CMB +2 CMD15 l Perc +10 SM +8 l Active Conditions: none

Following at what she hopes is a safe distance, Reillana keeps her wand and (loaded) hand crossbow at the ready, hugging the wall and trying to be unobtrusive despite the magical light shining from the tip of her wand.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

3,151 to 3,200 of 3,414 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Brunoreturns Shattered Star All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.