GM Bold Strider's PFS 00-01 Silent Tide (Low Tier) (Inactive)

Game Master rpblue

Map is Here.


101 to 150 of 272 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

Female Elf Fighter 5 HP: 49/49 | AC 22 | T 15 | FF 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +4 | CMD 20 | Init +6 | Perc +2 | Sense Mot +0

I could use some healing, but I have no way to do so - but I'll be fine.

Rhoswen thinks about the poison. "Could we perhaps bring this poison to Absalom and seek guidance from the Decemvirate? I mean, we'll report this to them anyway, and I think it would be best if we let them determine the best way to dispose of the poison."

Once the party is in the presence of Torch, Rhoswen eyes the large burn victim, and an idea forms. "Six thousand gold is a steep price, Grandmaster. I would like to propose a counter offer. We have recently come into possession of a large amount of poison. Perhaps the information we seek could be purchased through this trade? Think of the uses you could make of this poison. Very effective against your enemies!"


Grandmaster Torch hears out the fledgling Pathfinders. Hmmm... an owed favor from the Society AND some Gut Wither poison? I'll take both gladly. That being said, I believe that I will cash in my favor now. I’ve recently come into possession of a series of safes. Unfortunately, the safecracker I employed has turned out to be quite useless. If you can coax even three of the five safes open, I could be persuaded to disclose Nessian’s location and dispense with my regular fee entirely. These chests are remarkably unique and I have the foreboding suspicion that, in this case, the receptacles just might be worth more than their contents, so I’d rather you didn’t smash them open. Oh! One more thing: if my diviner warns me you have crossed me and stolen the contents, there will be repercussions.

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

"Rhoswen, I did not realize you were injured, with the mist and grain and all. I have used most of my healing, but can provide a little relief. "

I thought Farg had cast two clw but now reading it it appears to be a double post? Corinna should be at full at the least. Victoria will cast a cure if Rhoswen is still down

clw : 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 on Rhoswen wow, third 1 in a row for healing...someone obviously missed her morning painting rituals to Shelyn.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf Fighter 5 HP: 49/49 | AC 22 | T 15 | FF 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +4 | CMD 20 | Init +6 | Perc +2 | Sense Mot +0

"Thank you, Victoria. That healing certainly helps." Rhoswen thanks the cleric.

She turns to the others, "I'm not sure we have much choice. I must admit I have no skills with safe-cracking..."

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Magus 1 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +2 | Init +1 | Perception +0

Corrina stops Victoria before she casts and produces another wand. "Here. Save your magic. Use this. As many as she needs, and one for me please."

2 more charges CLW for Rhoswen: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (5, 3) + 2 = 10

1 charge for Corrina: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

Victoria nods and uses the offered wand as she has few personal spells, being only an acolyte at this point in her career.

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Farg had cast CLW on Corinaa but still has two more castings as well as a wand.

Farg nods to grandmaster torch and present some fine thieving tools. Luckily you have an expert on hand right here. Show me where they are and I'll show you what's inside. Unless they are magically warded that might be too muchg for my talents.

Farg has a +12 (+14 should heroism still be up, has a duratioin of 40 mins afterall) in disable device if anyone can aid another I'll take that happily. Plan is to first take ten if that's not enough take 20

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

If guidance stacks, add that from Tori .

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5

"I'll assist you Farg", Barley joins the tiefling.

DD: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

-Posted with Wayfinder

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Guidance and heroism are both competence boni. But if heroism has run out i'll take guidance.


Grandmaster Torch waves his hand, half-heartedly in the air. Take them to Vault 12A and have Gyruh ready with our prediscussed plans. A half-orc bodyguard ushers the Pathfinders out of the door. Torch calls out to them as they are leaving, Good luck Pathfinders.

As you enter the room, you see five objects. A man steps from the shadows. Greetings Pathfinders, I am Gyruh, protection wizard of Grandmaster Torch. These are the five safes. First, the Devil Dial. Gyruh points to an iron cask with a lock that contains a laughing devil’s head.

Second, the Box of Golden Faces. Self-explanatory. Gyruh points to a red box has been inset with a trio of golden faces: the first appears stern, the second angry, and the third fumes with hatred.

Third, the Riddle Vault. We don’t know why it is called that. Maybe that is the riddle? A stone chest lays covered with a relief of carved ivory in the direction of Gyruh’s finger.

Fourth, the Smooth Stone Chest. Not very imaginative, I’m afraid. Gyruh points at a sealed stone chest with no visible locks or hinges. Additionally, there is no decoration or writing of any kind.

And finally, the Holed Chest. A strange stylized writing wraps around the whole of this rectangular chest. Stranger still are the ten small pores that run along the box’s lid.

I’m sure that Grandmaster Torch would reward you if you were to open all five of the chests, however I’m aware that you deal is only for three.

The amount of time it will take to handle the poison, deal with the dead bodies and undead corpses (don't want to leave them in a granary to rot - you eat the grain from here too), travel to Grandmaster Torch's residence, deal with him and be escorted to the vault will be much longer than the remaining amount of time on your Heroism. Sorry. :(

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

So how are these handled mechanically? Are they simple matters of Disable Device checks. If so with a succesful Aid another from Barley and Guidance cast from Victoria. Farg would have a +15 modifier. Taking ten would net a 25 and I'd try opening the Devil Dial with that.

Farg approaches the Devil Dial and studies the device for a few moments before going to work proving quite profivient despite (or perhaps thanks to) the added interference from Barley.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf Fighter 5 HP: 49/49 | AC 22 | T 15 | FF 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +4 | CMD 20 | Init +6 | Perc +2 | Sense Mot +0

Rhoswen paces around, looking at the chests from different angles. She stops and stoops down to take a close, careful look at the holed chest.

Take 20 Perception (unless we're on a tight timetable). Perception = 22.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Magus 1 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +2 | Init +1 | Perception +0

Corrina admires a few of the chests. She shakes her head in wonderment and sympathy for Farg's challenge.


@Farg - They are not all Disable Device checks, however this one is. :D

Farg inspects the chest and notices that the devil’s head can be turned in both directions, like a combination lock, but without numbers to act as a guide. He puts his ear to the chest while turning the Devil's Head, slowly twisting it in the correct combination of seven separate positions, forcing the devil’s head to release the lock.

CONTENTS
A lost treatise entitled “The Inward Facing Circle” written by
Coganaris the Wracker, a famed Chelish devil-binder, along with
scrolls of protection from evil and protection from good.

@Rhoswen

Rhoswen discovers a hidden panel on one side of the box, but no means to open it.

Rhoswen, make a Bardic Knowledge check, Linguistics check, or any music-related
Perform check.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf Fighter 5 HP: 49/49 | AC 22 | T 15 | FF 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +4 | CMD 20 | Init +6 | Perc +2 | Sense Mot +0

Oh, boy - I really stepped in to this one... Guess I'll go with Perform, since that's the only one that can be done untrained.

Rhoswen examines the holes in the chest. "I wonder if these holes could be manipulated to play music, or something?"

Perform (Strings/Guitar): 1d20 ⇒ 15


Rhoswen believes that the pores on the safe are actually the openings of a simple wind instrument which has been built into the workings of the safe. Blowing on the first hole while covering the correct pattern of the remaining holes will enable someone to replicate the upbeat song inscribed on the box. She thinks that this should open the safe.

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

I'm no good at music... Farg grumbles as he moves to examine the next safe. The tiefling likes the look of the box of golden faces and studies it intently.

Take ten on perception for a score of 19. If Victoria can cast another guidance that adds up to 20.


Farg investigates the Box of Golden Faces. He believes that this box responds to intense negative emotions of anger.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Magus 1 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +2 | Init +1 | Perception +0

"Huh. So they don't all need lockpicking skills?"

Corrina looks at the holed box with Rhoswen. She blows into one of the holes experimentally. The empty whoosh of her breath emerges from the other holes. "I don't know how to make it make noise."

Aid another perform (wind instrument): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

She turns to examine the ivory relief on the riddle vault. She sighs. "Sorry. Lockpicking skills or not, I don't get any of these."

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 6

She leans against the wall, but then her curiosity gets the better of her. She checks the Smooth Stone Chest.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 19


Corrina is baffled by all three chests that she examines. The holed chest doesn't seem to play like she would expect. The "riddle vault" just looks like a box with no clasp and the smooth stone chest just appears to be a big, oblong rock.

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Hmm. Intense negative emotions of anger. Where is my obligatory Barbarian dip when i need it!

Farg grows frustrated when looking at the happy and not so happy faces. His not so keen intellect can not grasp what this box is about but he has a feeling and follows it through. All of the sudden the tiefling lifts up the box and begins to roar.

You piece of s$&%! Open now or I will smash you to bits! I am a spawn of the abyss and playing with me has lead many more mighty foes to crumble!

Intimidate the box.
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


The box stares back at Farg with three set of eyes. Nothing happened.

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Farg gives each of the faces a forceful rub then drops it back on the table in frustration and moves on to the smooth stone chest studying it intently for any clues.

Take 20 on perception to examine the smooth stone chest for a score of 29.

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5
Farg wrote:
You piece of s$##! Open now or I will smash you to bits! I am a spawn of the abyss and playing with me has lead many more mighty foes to crumble! Intimidate the box. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

lol

-Posted with Wayfinder

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5

Barley stands near the stone box twirling a sai in his hand. He taps the chest playfully, "I think this thing is magical, can anyone determine? "

UMD: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

-Posted with Wayfinder

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Don't interrupt me! Farg grumbles as he shoots Barley and angry red eyed look. He begins to fletch his teeth as it dawns on him that Barley's suggestion might make his life easier.

The Tiefling straightens and begins to brag.
Being the resourceful pathfinder I am of course. he boasts as he mumbles a few arcane words in an attempt to discern magical auras.

Detect Magic and while I'm at it the other safes as well.


Farg:
Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Farg notices that there is illusion magic covering the smooth stone chest and sees through the illusion. He then realizes that he can simply lift the lid off of the chest. None of the other chests are magical.

Farg reaches forward and simply lifts the top of the smooth stone chest off revealing a collection of material components for a wealth of spells (value 500 gp but 70 lbs. of weight).

Two of five chests completed.

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

Victoria will check the smooth chest as well.

perception : 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Umm...

Victoria sees an empty stone chest with the lid removed to the side?

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

Uh sorry, was posting and missed Farg's results. She would have picked a different one.


Victoria inspects the Riddle Vault and finds the individual letters of a riddle cleverly carved in between the leaves on the chest’s lid.

"T-H-O-U-G-H-D-I-F-F-E-R-E-N-T-N-O-W-S-O-U-N-D-S-M-Y-N-A-M-E-T-H-E-S-P-E-L- L-I-N-G-S-T-I-L-L-R-E-M-A-I-N-S-T-H-E-S-A-M-E-O-N-C-E-P-R-I-O-R-L-E-A-P-O-F -M-I-G-H-T-N-O-W-B-E-C-O-M-E-S-B-I-R-D-O-F-W-H-I-T-E"

Sovereign Court

Female Elf Fighter 5 HP: 49/49 | AC 22 | T 15 | FF 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +4 | CMD 20 | Init +6 | Perc +2 | Sense Mot +0

Rhoswen takes a closer look at the riddle vault with Victoria. "Hmmm, 'Though different now sounds my name the spelling still remains the same once prior leap of might now becomes bird of white'?" She steps back and taps her chin in thought.

"Well, what are white birds? Seagulls, doves... I can't think of any others." She paces back in forth, studying the ground as she ponders the riddle further. "A prior leap of faith... wait, DOVE! Dove and dove," Roswen speaks at the vault the two words, spelled the same, but pronounced differently.

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

"Ah very good guess Rhoswen. I would think that is it! Although I am still partial to the rainbow colored dove of Shelyn, but white is nice too."

Tori smiles....

Sheyln, I see beauty in others. As a rough stone hides a diamond, a stern face may hide the heart of a saint.

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5

Barley declares, "Ah good work Farg"", he nods with satisfaction believing it a teamwork effort.

-Posted with Wayfinder


As Rhoswen speaks the word "dove" aloud, the group hears a click. Victoria attempts to open the "Riddle Vault" and finds the lid easily lifts. Inside is a collection of over 40 rare incenses along with a book of instruction. A quick perusal of the book indicates that the incense, if burned in the proper combination, can replicate a single use of incense of meditation.

3/5 Safes Completed - Can Return to Grandmaster Torch or Attempt the Others

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Hmmpf... Farg grumbles in the direction of Barley. It was warded by an illusion. So your suggestion about magic was correct... the Tiefling concludes.

Im still angry that that stinking piece of s@*@ of a jester faced box still looks so ugly Farg curses as he walks over to the box and punches each of the faces with considerable force with his long sharp nails.

Someone should attempt a perform check. Farg has a +2 modifier. As to the box with the negative emotions I am not sure how to deal with it...


Remember that you are being watched and Grandmaster Torch explicitly asked for the safes to remain unharmed. There is a hardness and HP listed for each safe.

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5

"Perhaps yelling at it would make you feel better? "

use Intimidate

-Posted with Wayfinder

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Farg considers throwing the box against the wall but recalls he was not supposed to break anything and thus sets it back down gingerly.

Tried that already. Someone else would need to give it a spin.

Liberty's Edge

Female Human Magus 1 | AC 14 T 11 FF 13 | HP 10/10 | F +4 R +1 W +2 | Init +1 | Perception +0

"Good work! Well, y'all opened the three that we were asked to. And it's not like we get to keep the contents, so we might as well get moving rather than struggle with the last two."

Actually, I'm guessing that box requires barbarian rage to open.

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Whatever. I'm fed up with this stuff anyhow...

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5

Barley gives it one last try and taps the face box, "Uhm,....open?"

UMD: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


The golden faces stare back at Barley. Nothing happens.

Two people have expressed an interest to leave. If no one is opposed, then we will proceed with only three chests completed.

Silver Crusade

Ninja 5

ready

-Posted with Wayfinder

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

ready.


As the group signals to Gyruh, he ushers them back to Grandmaster Torch's waiting room.

Torch waves at the Pathfinders lazily, I see that you have completed the task. Congratulations! If only you were able to open the music box and the Golden Faces, those are quite difficult. Oh well... I believe we had a deal. The party sees Torch's half-orc guards loading the poison-filled urns from the granary into a safe built into the wall.

Nessian is not a very bright man. He spreads word of his conquests across town and it was an easy matter to track him to his hideout: The Pyramid of the Dog. It is a burned out siege tower just outside Absalom. That is all I know. See Gyruh if you require a map, but surely Pathfinders such as yourselves would know where that is.

The group turns to leave as Torch utters one more sentence. And remember that this should remain our secret as it would be most unprofessional to spread word of my involvement.

------------------------------------------------------

Chests Spolier:
If you opened all five chests, you would have gotten an extra 100GP. @Farg: Your intimidate was short by 1.

------------------------------------------------------

At this point, the sun begins to rise for Oathday. As the party leaves for the Pyramid of the Dog, Farg and Victoria spot an interchange of flashing green and orange lights coming from the cliffs in the distance. Yargos recognizes its significance instantly. Gasp! It is one of the final and most important signals. That variation of lights will send a team of Black Echelon operatives to attack the Metro-Cathedral, an old church of Abadar. Although worshipers of Abadar have traveled to new parishes ever since the earthquake that laid low the Puddle District, the Metro-Cathedral still has one use: every Oathday morning, the priests of Abadar still play the ritual tune on the Metro-Cathedral’s giant pipe organ to remind all of Absalom to honor its pacts.[b]

Yargos explains that [b]According to the codebook, when Black Echelon shuts down the giant organ in midtune, the sudden disruption becomes the signal for Silent Tide; the awaiting Armada is to approach to the city and begin its attack run.

Yargos urges the PCs to change course and race for the cathedral.

What do you do? Head to the Pyramid of the Dog to deal with Nessian or head to the Metro-Cathedral to stop the Silent Tide?

Silver Crusade

Female Aasimar Sorc 9 AC17/T13/F14 +1 all /CMD14 |HP 74/74 | Fort:+9;Ref:+9;Will+9 |Percept.+11 (darkvision) | Init.+9 (0/1 shirt, electric arcs 0/7 used) (Whirlwind 0/1) {Mage armor}

Victoria turns to head towards the cathedral with Yargos unless she is stopped by her party.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf Fighter 5 HP: 49/49 | AC 22 | T 15 | FF 18 | Fort +6 | Ref +6 | Will +4 | CMD 20 | Init +6 | Perc +2 | Sense Mot +0

Rhoswen keeps up with Victoria, sword drawn.

The Exchange

male Tiefling Tomb Raider 7 Init +2 Perception +13, Darkvision, Speed 40ft HP: 54 AC: 21 (FF 21/T 13) (23 while raging) CMD: 21 HP: 48 AC: 20 (FF 20/T 12) CMD: 21 CMB: +9 BAB: +4 FORT: +7 REF +7 (+2 during rage) WIL: +5 (+2 during rage)

Farg joins the others to the cathedral.

Cast Heroism before we enter the Cathedral

101 to 150 of 272 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Bold Strider's PFS 00-01 Silent Tide (Low Tier) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.