GM-8574: Mists of Mwangi (2017) (Inactive)

Game Master Jason Lillis

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st to 5th level characters (Tiers: 1–2, 4–5).

Pathfinder Lugizar Trantos recently returned from the Mwangi Expanse with haunted eyes and a pack full of strange idols. Absalom's famed Blakros Museum purchased his pieces and Lugizar vanished. The strange monkey idols he pulled from the misty jungles of Mwangi carry with them a fell curse, and now their power has laid claim to the museum. Can the Pathfinder Society uncover the source of the curse in time, or will the Blackros Museum be forever lost to the mists of Mwangi?

Written by Nicolas Logue

Tabletop


1 to 50 of 248 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

The Blakros Museum rises into the night sky, its single black spire severing the full moon in twain. The black iron gates surrounding the exhibition hall grind in protest against the wind. Beyond, the museum’s large oaken doors stand wide open, a silver-gray mist belching forth from the cavernous darkness within. You wonder how you ended up here, standing at the precipice of unknown terrors, and instantly Venture-Captain Adril Hestram’s wide looming face is conjured into your minds’ eye. His booming words ring out from memory as clearly as he spoke them only one hour ago...

Open to read your mission briefing:
“The Blakros Museum is cursed. Some darkness has descended upon the place and those who enter are blasted with evil and left raving through its halls, more beast than men. The curator, Nigel Aldain, is an old associate of the Society, though he chose to leave our organization some years back after a disagreement.” Adril looked sheepish then, as if remembering some distasteful incident from his youth. “Nigel has long denied the Society access to the Blakros Museum’s considerable collection of relics and scrolls, using his extensive contacts to nab several excellent finds right out from under us... he always had a nose for the hunt. Whatever is past between Nigel and the Society, he needs our help now. Perhaps if we can come to his aid, he may think on rejoining the Pathfinder Society, or at least offering to share his discoveries with us.”

“Apparently the trouble at Blakros Museum began this morning, shortly after a wayward Pathfinder named Lugizar Trantos returned to Absalom after months spent in the Mwangi Expanse. Supposedly, instead of coming straight to the Lodge to report in, he went to Blakros, sold his finds to Nigel, and then disappeared with a hefty sum of gold. The few who glimpsed Lugizar claimed he was much changed by his time in the Mwangi... gaunt, his eyes yellowed and unfocused, a strange rasping cough that seemed to wrack his now wasted frame. Whatever he brought back with him, we believe it is the cause of the Blakros Museum’s ills. Root it out.”

He hands you a map depicting a layout of the museum. "You may want to head to the offices first to find Nigel as he may have some insight into whatever foul curse vexes the place."

Before you got to the Museum, you had a chance to introduce yourselves to your fellow Pathfinders. What did those introductions sound like?

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Narayan Singh is a towering, powerfully built nagaji whose broad smile shows far too many sharp teeth to be calming or comforting. It is entirely heartfelt though.

Greetings friends! I am Narayan Ssingh. I sspread joy where I can, and sseek to end the evils that sstop it. I offer a warning. It sseems ghouls sswarm to meet me wherever I travel in my quessts, but sso far no friends have been their feasst, sso hold to hope.

Scarab Sages

Female Human Inquisitor 1/UMonk 1 [HP 16/16 | AC/ff/t 18/15/18 | F+5/R+4/W+5 | CMB +3 CMD 18 | Spd 30', Init +2, Per +11 | Judg 1/1, Spell 1/2, Move 5/6 | shield of faith ]

A spry, diminutive redheaded human appears with a bright smile of recognition as she runs up to join the Pathfinder group. With a small leap, she jumps on the burly nagaji and gives him a hug.

"Narayan! How are you! So good to see you!" She hops off him again to land on the ground. With a wink, she adds, "Read any good books lately?"

She involuntarily stretches and addresses the rest of the group. "My name's Copper Tam. Pleasure to meet you all."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Narayan chuckles as he returns the hug. Copper Tam! You lighten my heart. And no. I have not wresstled with any bookss ssince those unruly ones attacked uss.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt, a tall and brooding half-Orc in a dark grey cloak, cautiously looks at the other Pathfinders who will be his companions in their upcoming mission. He is wary because prior to joining the Pathfinders, he has never really been accepted by anyone, other than his mother, and is used to working alone...

"I am Grynt."

He nods curtly at the others, gives a slight smile, and stands against the wall...

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni is a slender fellow with a glint of brilliance in his eyes. He smiles at the range of accents the group speaks in and tries to guess where everyone is from in his head.

Greetings. I am Giovanni Stellaluce. A pleasure to meet you.

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Magical Child 1 [HP 8/11 | AC/ff/t 16/14/13 | F+3/R+4/W+0 | CMB -2 CMD 10 FCMD 8 | Spd 20', Init +2, Per +0] Character Sheet

A bemused-looking halfling in a big floppy hat wanders in, beaming at everyone. There appears to be a dry shrub on his shoulder.

"Aye, all. The Gardener, pleased ta make yer acquaintance."

He proffers his hand to each individual in turn, as does the small tree.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf


Lady Alya De-Qill Image here

Lady Alya De-Qill is A tall slender elf stands close to Venture-Captain Adril Hestram, in her hands a small note book and silver point pen. She has on some kind of uniform. Simple but well made. It has the look of an officers uniform, but of no army known. By her feet a well made but small back pack. She took down the names, locations and events in a sort of short hand. When the map is offered she takes it for the party. Then when the Venture-Captain she asks him.

"Could you describe Nigel Aldain, Lugizar Trantos for me, also who informed you Lugizar had gone too Nigel and sold artifacts t o him. I may wish to interview this person."

She says.

Then once the Venture-Captain has responded she again takes notes as the group introduces themselves to each other.

As last to turns to them. In a well spoken and formal voice she says.

"I am Lady Alya De-Qill, My profession is that of Investigating Detective. Venture-Captain Hestram here as requested that I accompany your group on this mission. So as to have my survives and skills at your disposal. I hope you will except my assistance."

She says this all formally as if it was some kind of contact.
She waits for a response form the group.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Narayan stands beaming with jaws spread wide, as the rest of the pathfinders introduce themselves, clasping arms or branches as appropriate.

With friends like thiss we should surely be able to cleanse the museum and return Nigel Aldain to the ssocciety.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

She holds as as Narayan touches her but you can tell she is not happy with the physical contact.

"I will take that as agreement to my participation"

She states.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

A look of worried concern comes over Narayan's face at Alya's unhappiness. I am ssorry if I have caused you disscomfort of body or sself, Lady Alya De-Qill. I am happy to acccept your asssisstancce, and hope you will acccept mine.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

She looks at him a moment as if working something out in her head.

"It is not you Narayan, I... have a dislike of physical contact. however I understand it is necessary at times."

She says in the same tone, then as if wanting to change the subject, she looks closer at him. Taking the time to view him from crest of head to scale of foot.

Kn:

Taking 10 on all Kn rolls With the added 1d6 gives
10+3+8 an all but Local which is +9. 21 average.

"You are a Nagaji are you not, you have no armor and scales alone would not help in a fight so I suspect you may argument with magic of some kind. You have a Monk's Spade and your simple clothing added to your lack of Armor... I would say you have been trained in the way of fist and claw."

For the 1st time she smiles, and at him.

"Am I correct in my observations?"

she asks.


Hestram grumbles for a bit, shifting papers about while he looks through the stack. "We have an agent who is a talented sketcher of portraits. Given Nigel's past history of the society, it's prudent to have this one on hand in case he tries to... procure items that some of our newer agents bring back from their expeditions. You're right to ask for it."

He hands over a page with the face of an elf sketched onto it. When you are done looking it over, he takes it back.

"Lugizar is of more mild reknown than Nigel, so we've not got a portrait of him. Human, male, hearty enough to tackle an expedition to the Expanse, though, as I said, others say he appeared quite diminished from his latest experience."

If any of you like, you may make Knowledge(History) regarding the Society's understanding of the Mwangi Expanse, or Knowledge (Local)/Diplomacy checks to learn more on your way to the museum about Lugizar Trantos.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt silently observes the Lady's discomfort with Narayan. Elf...if she's uncomfortable with Narayan's touch, then she won't welcome close contact with my kind...her experience should serve the party well, but I'll keep my distance...

He nods to her. "Greetings..."

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Narayan nods and smiles at Alya's deductions, It is true that I borrow magicss from the sskills of others, but a wand, a crosssbow, my sspade, my fisst, your witss - all are tools of the sself.

Diplomacy to Gather Information: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Narayan is a simple soul who likes to take things as he finds them.
Narayan is bad at seeking out information on the principals of a mission.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni makes nice with the people in the street and asks around about Lugizar Trantos.

diplomacy/gatherinfo: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
diplomacy/gatherinfo2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Follow Up allows for 2 gather info checks in the same time. Giovanni knows if he is receiving false info from a low roll.

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Magical Child 1 [HP 8/11 | AC/ff/t 16/14/13 | F+3/R+4/W+0 | CMB -2 CMD 10 FCMD 8 | Spd 20', Init +2, Per +0] Character Sheet

Giving the new arrival a lopsided grin, The Gardener ambles off into the streets. A smart one, eh? he thinks to himself.

Diplomacy to Gather Information: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Must be an off day, what with being the first mission and all. Mister Trelawney is visibly unimpressed.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

Her smile stays and as the others start to move off. She picks up her back pack to follow.

When the they she sees some of the others heading to question locals. She sees no point asking the same things do waits until they are done. He smile is now gone and she is once more business like.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

As she stands there see thinks about what she knows of the location.

Rolls:

Kn Local 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (9) + (2) + 8 = 19
Kn History 1d20 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (9) + (2) + 8 = 19

Now that is very odd, same roll on 4 dice humm think some ones RNG is messed up

Then seeing the others have trouble with the locals she walks over and joins them. Asking about things she new and clarification.

"Are you having problems here, maybe I can help"

lifting out a few gold coins to loosen tongues .

3GP used diplomacy/gatherinfo 1d20 + 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (18) + (1) + 5 = 24


Grynt's findings:
Lugizar Trantos spent the better part of a year in the Mwangi Expanse. At first he wrote letters to his brother and wife, but after a few months these stopped coming and most gave him up for dead. His letters spoke of a lucrative find at one point, three idols of dark wood carved in the shape of bearded monkeys. The last of his letters evidenced an unhinged mind, and was covered in strange sketches of monkey paws. He described dark eyes glaring out from the mists. Shortly after his return to Absalom, many of the monkeys and apes in the city’s menageries attacked their keepers and fled into greater Absalom.

Narayan's findings:
You try to get some clues, but even the cosmopolitan Absalomians seem unnerved by your appearance today. You learn nothing helpful.

Giovanni's findings:
Lugizar Trantos spent the better part of a year in the Mwangi Expanse. At first he wrote letters to his brother and wife, but after a few months these stopped coming and most gave him up for dead. You're able to learn little else, but you trust that this information is accurate.

The Gardener:
You try to get some clues, but even the cosmopolitan Absalomians seem unnerved by the sight of a halfling accompannied by walking shrubbery today. You learn nothing helpful.

Lady Alya:
Reaching back in your histoircal records, you recall that much of the Mwangi’s darkest interior worships a demon lord named Angazhan, who is described in the Book of the Damned as a thing of primordial darkness, a foul-breathed demon who grunts prophecies of blood to apes and madmen. The jungle is his beating heart. A dread city was founded in the Expanse hundreds of years ago by cultists who bowed to Angazhan. It is said they captured the souls of monkeys in the wood-grains of strange idols called Tik Taan. The monkeys’ tormented spirits became the slaves and playthings of Angazhan, who murdered their playful whims and replaced them with a deep-seated hate and wild madness. These Tik Taan are rumored to shred the sanity of anyone who spends too long in their presence.

As for Lugizar Trantos, you learn that he spent the better part of a year in the Mwangi Expanse. At first he wrote letters to his brother and wife here in Absalom, a fellow agent shares, but after a few months these stopped coming and most gave him up for dead. His letters spoke of a lucrative find at one point, three idols of dark wood carved in the shape of bearded monkeys. After greasing a few palms, you learn another bit of news: The last of his letters evidenced an unhinged mind, and was covered in strange sketches of monkey paws. He described dark eyes glaring out from the mists. Shortly after his return to Absalom, many of the monkeys and apes in the city’s menageries attacked their keepers and fled into greater Absalom.

Copper, feel free to make a roll at your convenience if you'd like.

Armed with this knowledge, you return quickly to the present, facing the doors of the museum. It's late in the evening, and the nearby streets seem eerily quiet for such a lovely evening. The museum’s large oaken doors stand wide open, a silver-gray mist belching forth from the cavernous darkness within.

It is dark inside the museum. Those of you who do not have nightvision will need a light source. What other preparations does your party make before entering?

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

UMD: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
UMD: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Narayan sets his wayfinder aglow, and gives himself a tap with his wand. Then another tap when the first one doesn't work. Light & Mage Armor

Was the museum ssuppossed to be sso unguarded tonight? Or has fear taken those guards when it brought thiss misst?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt, unused to and uncomfortable speaking in groups, speaks up thinking that he needs to share the info he learned...

"This Trantos fellow spent a long time in the Mwangi...his letters mentioned finding 3 monkey idols...apparently he went mad...mentioned evil eyes in the mist...monkeys and apes around Absalom escaped their cages and fled, after his return..."

Looking at the silver-gray mist, Grynt thinks it must be connected to the mist mentioned by Trantos...

"Perhaps we should protect ourselves from this mist..."

Grynt takes the bandana from his explorer's outfit and ties it firmly around his head, below his eyes to cover his nose and mouth to prevent breathing in the mist. He then draws his bow and cautiously enters the museum, looking for anything out of the ordinary...

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

After talking to a few contacts and others Lady Alya comes back to the group. She takes out her note book and adds to Grynt information what she has learned.

"Within the histoircal records, Mwangi’s was known for the darkest interior worship of a demon lord by the name of Angazhan, who is described in the Book of the Damned as a thing of primordial darkness, a foul-breathed demon who grunts prophecies of blood to apes and madmen. The jungle is his beating heart. A dread city was founded in the Expanse hundreds of years ago by cultists who bowed to Angazhan. It is said they captured the souls of monkeys in the wood-grains of strange idols called Tik Taan. The monkeys’ tormented spirits became the slaves and playthings of Angazhan, who murdered their playful whims and replaced them with a deep-seated hate and wild madness. These Tik Taan are rumored to shred the sanity of anyone who spends too long in their presence.

She looks up,

"I think we may know what Lugizar Trantos may have done, found and spent time with and sold on. As Grynt said he spent the better part of a year in the Mwangi Expanse."

she looks back at her note book, flipping pages.

"Are here we are, A contact I know said, At first he wrote letters to his brother and wife here in Absalom, but after a few months these stopped coming and he was given up for dead. His letters spoke of a lucrative find at one point, three idols of dark wood carved Grynt talked of, All in the shape of bearded monkeys."

She looks up again, and puts the note book away.

"A bit of coin got me this next tit-bit of gossip. I was told that the last of his letters evidenced an unhinged mind, and was covered in strange sketches of monkey paws. Then as Grynt said he talked of dark eyes glaring out from the mists."

Then she says in a low voice.

"The I got from the local guard and its not be be wildly said but. Around the time that Lugizar Trantos return from Absalom, many of the monkeys and apes in the city’s menageries attacked their keepers and fled into greater Absalom. There where Whereabouts are still unknown. I am sorry that was long but there was a lot of information to collate and cross check."

She says and stops.

Scarab Sages

Female Human Inquisitor 1/UMonk 1 [HP 16/16 | AC/ff/t 18/15/18 | F+5/R+4/W+5 | CMB +3 CMD 18 | Spd 30', Init +2, Per +11 | Judg 1/1, Spell 1/2, Move 5/6 | shield of faith ]

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 8

Copper shrugs and pulls her goggles down over her eyes, casting a light spell on them for vision.

"Okay, so I guess we're dealing with crazy evil monkey statues. Got it."

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

Giovanni lights a torch and draws his rapier.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt's smile is hidden behind his makeshift bandana/scarf mask as he enters the museum. The small one has pluck...I like her. He continues on, eyes and senses still alert...

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

As the other get ready, she checks her things. She has also got a small bag of sweet cakes on her way around collecting information. This she checked in her back back. Then while the others to enter, she takes out her combat knife and locks it into place on her belt, then her light cross bow. She checks it has a bolt in and ready. She has no need for light, and taking off her smoked glasses. Follows the others in.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

My placce is in the front.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt, still looking for signs of danger, defers to Narayan and let's him take the lead. He follows behind, covering the Nagaji with his bow...


The museum proper is large and well furnished, built with gothic architecture (reflecting its original purpose) rising out of the night like a great, looming shadow. You push open the imposing front doors of the museum...

Click here for the Locale Map.

An unnatural cold permeates this chamber and the tendrils of silver-gray mist flowing out the front archway into the courtyard beyond seem to effortlessly pierce the flesh and gently caress the bone in a cold embrace. The grand entranceway’s vaulted ceiling is supported by six great pillars of hewn black stone. Braziers mounted on the pillars cast white radiance from balls of continual light. The light glimmers eerily in the silvery haze that fills the atrium, giving the impression of something alien watching from the glowing fog.

As you walk among the mists that cling to floor, wall, and pillar, you feel its cloying grasp try to make it's way into not just your lungs, but also your mind!

Unless you have a filter (like a scarf) between how you breathe and the mists in the museum, make a Will Save!

If you get less than 12, read this:

Mist-tainted template
Any living humanoid or monstrous humanoid who fails a their Will save against the mist’s corrupting influence degenerates into an ape-like proto-creature, little more than a brutish animal.

An afflicted creature’s Intelligence and Charisma scores are both reduced to 6, and the creature gains a +2 bonus to its Strength and Dexterity scores. Additionally, the creature becomes immune to fear, gains a +10 bonus on Climb checks (and a climb speed of 20 feet), and gains a +5 bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks. The creature also gains a slam attack (1d4 damage for Medium creatures, 1d3 for Small creatures).

Charisma- and Intelligence-based spellcasters (such as bards and wizards) under the effects of the mist are rendered incapable of casting spells due to the ability loss (see page 17 of the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook). How the effects of the mist are countered remain to be seen...

If you get 12 or higher, read this:

You feel the insidious mist clawing at your mind, but failing to find a foothold. You're not sure what it would have done to you, but you are fairly confident that you know how to keep it at bay. How your companions will fare remains to be seen...

How would you describe what happens to you?

Scarab Sages

Female Human Inquisitor 1/UMonk 1 [HP 16/16 | AC/ff/t 18/15/18 | F+5/R+4/W+5 | CMB +3 CMD 18 | Spd 30', Init +2, Per +11 | Judg 1/1, Spell 1/2, Move 5/6 | shield of faith ]

Tam says, "I'll be up with Narayan and Grynt. I can dash ahead if necessary." Looking around to the group, she adds, "It looks like everyone can hold their own, too. We'll just keep our eyes peeled and be ready for action."

I'll just make the save for now, assuming I'd still end up making it later...

Will: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Does Shake Effects for +2 save vs. magic item count in this case?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Walking through the mist, Grynt seems to sense a sinister force within it...his bandana/scarf filter appears to be keeping the mist at bay, but he worries 'bout the rest of the party. Grynt steps away so he can keep an eye on everyone and see how they may be affected...

Wasn't sure if you wanted us to place ourselves on the map...I went ahead and added Grynt, assuming we were just a little ways inside the grand entrance...


Thanks, Grynt and Copper. I'll get the rest added here in a bit.

Copper:
Yes, I'll allow it as a bonus to your save for this effect.

Scarab Sages

Female Human Inquisitor 1/UMonk 1 [HP 16/16 | AC/ff/t 18/15/18 | F+5/R+4/W+5 | CMB +3 CMD 18 | Spd 30', Init +2, Per +11 | Judg 1/1, Spell 1/2, Move 5/6 | shield of faith ]

Tam shakes her head. "Whoa. Okay. Yeah, this mist is not to be messed with. Cover your face if you can."

She mutters to herself, "Memo to me, get a plague doctor mask when I can."

She grabs a sash from her outfit and wraps it around her head.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

will: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Giovanni follows the group leading with a torch. He takes in the mist more deeply than he had expected to. The group sees Giovanni's torchlight shake followed by a few grunts from his general locale.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 I was going to ask if it counted as Mind Affecting or Poison but with that roll...

Narayan walks heedless into the mist for only a moment before he drops to his knees, snarling and grunting. His muscles seem to knot and bulge as he convulses, his lipless mouth drawn open in a muffled roar.

All at once, it is over, and Narayan returns to his feet. His stance is broader and more hunched, crests of bone and keratin cover over large chunks of his body, and though he looks at the rest of his friends with recognition, it's dimmer, and nothing of the confidence and surety that guides him through life can be seen.

Is this change eternal? Has this changed even me? Can a curse really change me, or merely hide me from myself

The misst not safe. The cursse dangerousser.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

Will save 1d20 + 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (9) + (5) + 4 = 18 made

She walks behind the others and sees that it is upsetting some, but she needs to know what kind of magic this is,

She uses an Inspiration to add 1d6 to the save roll. I want her to do more than pass. Inspiration 5/6 left

As she take a deep intake of breath, then she closes her eyes, the effect came but she focused on it. There was something... then her mind locked down, She was of law as such it reposed her, she pushing it away while seeking to see what it would have done.

She holds her breath a while studying. Then lets it out again. There seems to have been no change in her at all.

"You are right, it is tainted, I would suspect demonic in nature given what we know. "

A simple Prestidigitation kept it away as she took out a cloth from her back pack and rapt it around the lower part if her face.

Rolls:

detect-psychic-significance on mist + Takes 10 on KN for 21 to know what it is and dose.

Grand Lodge

"Sorry for the delay, you lot, my gatherin' took longer than expected, and I didn't come up with much fruit. I think it's best for Mister Trelawney here to remain a little more inconspicuous for now..."

He whispers to Mister Trelawney, who suddenly seems rather more like a shrub than before.

Mister Trelawney is now using his Petrify ability.

The Gardener saves his torches for now, seeing that the others are creating more than enough light. He takes the rear, readying a throwing-trowel (Kunai) in one hand and making a few practice gestures with the other.

Will Save: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Mister Trelawney Will Save: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (7) - 2 = 5

The Gardener doubles over, having brazenly ambled in without any covering, rushing due to his absence. His breath turns hoarse as his skin toughens and his arms lengthen so that his knuckles almost reach his ankles. Salt-and-pepper hair sprouts along the exposed skin and his hat looks almost comical atop that monstrous, ape-like head. His voice is reduced to a hoarse whisper formed with a too-big tongue and too-sharp teeth, with none of the endearing goofiness of before.

"Right... that wash a bad idea. This shtrrength is... good, but not good alsho. Not feeling too bright, might not uh... pzazz so good."

"Have to rely on thingy, in-too-ishon, never sho good at. Also strong-thing and quickness, better at now I think.

He draws a second throwing-trowel, having forgotten why he kept that hand free in the first place. Even talking seems a struggle for his warped throat, though his natural chattiness seems to have been retained. He stalks to the front of the crew, shouldering rudely past his allies. The politely foolish halfling of before is reduced to rather a monster of body and mind.

(As it happens, I re-read the effect so I now know that Mister Trelawney is indeed immune. Kept Mister Trelawney's roll to prevent accidental foul play.)

Mister Trelawney looks as worried as a currently-inanimate twig can look, but his empathic desperation is merely worsening the situation. He nonetheless remains petrified, loyal even now.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt shakes his head. Half of us are affected...not good...

Reluctant to speak, and unsure of how to proceed, he turns to the Elf as she seems to know many things. Nodding towards the three stricken in the group, he quietly says, "Any idea of how to help them?"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Smash sstatue monkeys?

Liberty's Edge

Male Halfling Magical Child 1 [HP 8/11 | AC/ff/t 16/14/13 | F+3/R+4/W+0 | CMB -2 CMD 10 FCMD 8 | Spd 20', Init +2, Per +0] Character Sheet

"I like your thinkingsh, Lizhard Man. Eksh-turm-in-eat theshe peshtsh."

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

"We walk back out, find a healer, get them better, then come back in with breathing cloths on. Its that or they stay as they are."

She says matter of fact-ly from under her cloth mask.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Nagaji Scaled Fist 11 | HP 83/83 | AC 23(27)(31)(35), T 22 (30), FF 20(24)(28)(32) | F +12, R +13, W +13 Init +3/7 | Perc +2/4 | Stunning Fist Uses 12/12 | Ki Pool 12/12 |

Narayan shakes his newly bulky face, slaver dripping from his jaws. Cursse is insside. Break cursse.

Sovereign Court

Human Rogue (unchained, Investigator) 5 | HP 33 | AC 21/14/17 | F+2 R+8 W +1 | Init +4 | Perc +10 (+11 Danger Sense) | Active Conditions: Heightened Awareness, Evasion, Feather fall (1/day)

me go forward.

Giovanni motions forward with his abnormally long torch hand.

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

"I suspect those with in ourcranks who have been affected. Are now under a galmar and do not wish to leave because they are compelled to join the ranks of others so afflicted. Their feelings can no longer be trusted. I recommend we remove them, restore them and then renter"

She says

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

Grynt frowns. "How do you propose to remove them? The halfling and rogue we might could overcome but the Nagaji is another matter...

Don't think they need healing...they're under an evil spell. Do either of you have a means to remove it? Or is there perhaps some way to render them unconscious so we could drag 'em out?"

Sovereign Court

Female Elf

"No, not I, I'm not even fully aware of its scope. I suspect demonic metamorphosis magic, fast acting and on going. My concern is this could be just the beginning of the transformation. If this effect was to afict the greater population. The results could be a catastrophe. My point is this, This city has healers. We could find one and be back in short order. I was hired to assist you, not lead you. As I said this is my recommendation only. How you act is up to you"

She states, it hard to know what her feelings are. She just seemed to br offering information.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc Ranger / 3rd | HP:DEAD | AC:21 T:14 FF:17 | CMB:5 CMD:19 | F:+5 R:+7 W:+2 | Init:+6 | Per: +9

"I don't disagree...but they won't leave willingly..."

He turns to Copper Tam. "Any ideas? Narayan knows you...perhaps he might listen to you even in his current state..."

Grand Lodge

"Oi, what all thish about knocking out the harfling?"

Shic'em, Trell"

Mister Trelawney does no such thing, and pretends not to have heard.

The Gardener falters. Something is definitely not right. He growls, annoyed, but unwilling to engage the clearly physically superior Half-Orc.

Scarab Sages

Female Human Inquisitor 1/UMonk 1 [HP 16/16 | AC/ff/t 18/15/18 | F+5/R+4/W+5 | CMB +3 CMD 18 | Spd 30', Init +2, Per +11 | Judg 1/1, Spell 1/2, Move 5/6 | shield of faith ]

"But didn't we have talk of people going crazy? That would suggest an enchantment of some kind. But if this is a transformation... Oh, Razmir, no. Where did all those rampaging monkeys come from?"

Tam cautiously approaches Narayan. "You're going to be okay. Please... let's get some fresh air and help clear your mind. Okay?"

1 to 50 of 248 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM-8574: Mists of Mwangi (2017) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.