Frost and Frozen Iron, a Dungeon World story

Game Master SecSeibzehn

In the Iron Mountains, one range grows wider and taller than the rest. In the ancient tongue it is known as dar'ragar, but to men, it is the Ironheart, wild and unclaimed.


1 to 50 of 114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

Mid-Day; Everdawn Valley, Ironheart

Trolls. Why did it have to be trolls?

The Everdawn farmstead was the last bit of civilization you passed by on the way down the road from Last Bastion. Though the night had seen a flurry of snow piled deep on the landscape, the lack of sound from the forest all around you was strange. Trekking onwards through a valley hidden almost entirely by snow, you come to a long, wide stone bridge over a frozen river. This would be Thurin’s Crossing, named by the dwarves, and it stretched over a hundred feet over the nameless cold that ran beneath it. As you crossed, at the halfway point, it became apparent that something had happened here—blood stained the bridgetop, camouflaged by the dark stone.

Still warm.

The ground shakes for an instant before a thick, massive form lumbers into view from behind a copse of frost-covered trees: A troll, carrying a dead man in one enormous hand like a hunter would carry a rabbit’s corpse. Beady eyes scowl and its tusk-lined lips curl in anger as it finally sees you, out in the open.

Enormous and green, the troll is vibrant compared to the snow around him, wrapped in the poorly-cured pelts of deer. The giant throws the man to the ground and roars, loud, its deep and animalistic voice echoing down the riverbank. As it begins to advance across the bridge, you’re certain you can see something big raise its head on the shore downriver, but in that instant the troll breaks into a loping sprint, lifting its claws and baring ugly teeth. What do you do?

Questions to ask —You’re all here. You’re likely on some sort of errand or job together, being that you all know eachother, and you’re likely not too far from Last Bastion. What kind of job is it? Who gave it to you, and why did you specifically receive it? And where did this troll come from? Is the troll the job, or is it just the Norns twisting things against your favor?

Thorgrim
HP: 24/24

Sparrow
HP: 15/15

Erland
HP: 25/25

Edwyn
HP: 18/18

Uqaliak
HP: 18/18

Things to note--

If you plan on just getting out of the way, consider how, describe it and then that's Defy Danger with the stat you choose based on what you think is most apt-- jumping or dodging is Dex, leaping into the frozen river might be Con, hanging off of the side might be Dex or Str...

If you plan on trading blows with the troll, hack and slash! Shooting it? Volley!

If you plan on not trading blows but taking a defensive posture, defend! You can defend yourself or someone else or even a place, like the bridge or where you're standing, however you choose. You're likely waiting on me to do something before you use your hold, so feel free to give me your intent on what you'd like to do if your defend comes up. Do note that you can spend your hold all at once or one by one.

Other stuff? Discern Realities could be useful to learn more about the situation. Spout Lore... well, someone's going to probably want to let everyone else know that the troll can regenerate and is weak to fire. Two people have the same idea? Follow through with Aid.

As far as my responses, I'll keep it moving along as best I can, so throw out your actions and toss dice and let's see what happens.

As for the questions: Answer these questions however you like, and as a group we'll go with whatever everyone likes best. The communal improv is part of the first "session" experience and I feel like it will still work here on the forums.


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

The job was given by Greaffke Bloodaxe, a gang leader and arms dealer in Last Bastion. He's known for selling dwarven arms of the highest quality. Recently he's lost several shipments coming in over the bridge. The last shipment, one man lived and returned to tell tales of a troll haunting Thurin's Crossing. Greaffke hired us to clear his shipping lane, our reward is to be masterfully crafted dwarven weapons.

Quest:I swear to slay the troll at Thruin's crossing, a great blight on the land. Boons:Invulnerability to claws, a voice that transcends language.

Finally, the goal of my quest is at hand. Erland thinks as he runs out onto the bridge, his sword and shield held high. I have prayed to Cronar to protect me from the foul creature's claws, I shall honor him this day that he might gift me positive answer to my prayers. Roaring, Erland runs directly at the charging giant. "For Last Bastion, for mankin, for CRONAR!!" he shouts leaping into the air as he meets the troll. He punches forward with his shield towards the troll's face and brings his longsword down in a right-handed arc aimed for the giant's neck

Hack and Slash: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 5) + 2 = 13
Damage: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Erland's shield connects solidly with the troll's jaw and his sword bites into its shoulder. The agile paladin rebounds off the troll's brutish chest to land in a crouch before it, shield raised. Erland's blue eyes burn with fiery fury as he roars defiance at the giant.


Female Human Thief

Rumors had been circulating about Greaffke losing some shipments. I heard them during my daily path through the city. It was all very simple to pass that along to Erland with the hope that he would then pass it to Thorgrim. Sure, Greaffke's man claimed that there was a troll. But it wouldn't be the first time someone made up a story to keep themselves out of trouble as they made deals on the side. I never thought the troll was real.

Sparrow can feel her heart pause as the creature runs towards them. Well, the man, apparently, wasn't lying. The creature is huge - terrifyingly so - much bigger than the stories had led her to believe. We really should have negotiated for much better payment.

But there was still time for negotiating - after they made certain that they weren't going to die. With a quick flick of her wrist, she loosens a throwing dagger from her sleeve and it slides into her palm. She takes a breath, aims for the creature's face, tosses the dagger, and prays that it hits.

Volley: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 5) + 3 = 10
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Lantern Lodge

The enormous troll steadies his jaw for an instant after Erland's heavy strike, breaking his stride for a moment before Catharina looses a dagger. It looks down at Erland, almost surprised, and then laughs in a low, deep voice. It spits out in thick, mottled giant-language "Sszazza'gak ga durak ga Cronar?" and then cries "Maggagkrak Cronar!" and slams its wicked, gnarled claws into him.

When nothing but the sparks from his armor and shield result, it tries a second time with a massive overhand swing that leaves Erland unsteady but doesn't seem to have even ruffled his cloak.

The troll looks at his claws for an instant, alarmed, pondering, and then lashes out suddenly, reaching over Erland to Edwyn, likely intent on testing if they still work on other humans. What do you do?

Catharina "Sparrow" Falk wrote:


But there was still time for negotiating - after they made certain that they weren't going to die. With a quick flick of her wrist, she loosens a throwing dagger from her sleeve and it slides into her palm. She takes a breath, aims for the creature's face, tosses the dagger, and prays that it hits.

Volley 2d6 + 3 = 10
Damage d8 = 1

I'm certain you have a +2 mod in Dex instead of +3-- so I think that's a 9. You get to choose between moving to danger to get the shot-- likely running to the front of the line-- or taking -1d6 damage. You unfortunately can't lose ammo with a thrown weapon since you always lose ammo with a thrown weapon. Let me know what it'll be!


Female Human Thief

Whoops! That was a typo. I am so sorry I didn't see that earlier when I was making my post! It's been a long day. I'll move to danger to get the shot and pray I don't get crushed and die.


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

Erland lashes out with his blade as the arm stretches over him.

Not sure if we're on rounds or how this works. Do I roll another hack and slash?

Lantern Lodge

Erland Cronarson wrote:

Erland lashes out with his blade as the arm stretches over him.

Not sure if we're on rounds or how this works. Do I roll another hack and slash?

Yep! By rolling 7-9, you invite danger, and by rolling 6- you invite rough danger-- so, in combat, as long as you're around and have something to do, you're also giving me moves. Two people could fight it out completely and they'd get the same number of opportunities-- when 7-9 is rolled, a soft move, and when 6- is rolled, a hard move. Then, hard moves when it makes sense. If four people fight one person then the one person gets the same number of action opportunities as the four people, and usually honestly it ends up being pretty touch and go even with four people beating on one person.

Lantern Lodge

Catharina "Sparrow" Falk wrote:
Whoops! That was a typo. I am so sorry I didn't see that earlier when I was making my post! It's been a long day. I'll move to danger to get the shot and pray I don't get crushed and die.

S'all good!


HP 16/18, Hold NA

It is not Uqalik the shaman who soars overhead, but Nakturalik the eagle, watching out for trouble.
Hold: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 5) + 2 = 8 So 2 Hold. What can I do with it?
Discern Realities: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 2 = 9 The question I really want to ask is "Does the troll have allies nearby?" - "What should I be on the lookout for?" is probably the closest to it.

Lantern Lodge

Uqalik the Angakkuq wrote:

It is not Uqalik the shaman who soars overhead, but Nakturalik the eagle, watching out for trouble.

[dice=Hold]2d6+2 So 2 Hold. What can I do with it?

Any move you couldn't normally do as a person except for pure movement. Flying up isn't a move, but dive-bombing or pecking someone's eyes out would be. On the other hand, a normal, simple attack like a talon or a beak with no other intent behind it isn't a move. The exception to my pure movement rule is something combined with it-- Flying by and snatching something might be a move, for example. It's all very open-- just do what you want to do and try to decide if you think it'd be a move afterwards.

Quote:
Discern Realities 2d6+2 = 9 The question I really want to ask is "Does the troll have allies nearby?" - "What should I be on the lookout for?" is probably the closest to it.

You're certain that the troll's roar wasn't just a challenge but also a warning. The white, frost-capped shore is empty now, but you can see the fir trees waving as something moves inbetween them, coming up to the side of the bridge that the party had begun crossing at. Something is moving to pincer you on the bridge-- something bigger than the troll already on it.


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

"See to the rabble, Erland," Thorgrim bellows, the massive length of his greatsword resting across his shoulders. He turns and walks calmly towards whatever approaches the bridge from the firs beyond. His blade swings about to point at the would-be ambusher.

"Face you now Thorgrim Sigurdson, heigull, and dine well on my steel!"

Challenge Declared! 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 = 7
When you cry out a challenge to your enemies, roll+CON. *On a 10+ they treat you as the most obvious threat to be dealt with and ignore your companions, take +2 damage ongoing against them. *On a 7-9 only a few (the weakest or most foolhardy among them) fall prey to your taunting.

The burly northman vaults towards whatever approaches, his face still awash in grim anticipation of the carnage that is sure to follow.


HP 16/18, Hold NA

I'll assume this happens before Thorgrim's post.

The eagle swoops down behind the party and turns back into a halfling. "Erland, Thorgrim, there's something in the woods behind us!"


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

Hack and Slash: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Erland's upthrust blade slashes shallowly along the troll's arm, just above the elbow. His extended stance leaves him open to a counter blow from the giant. Throgrim can handle whatever's in the woods for now. He thinks, after hearing Uqalik cry out.


Male Human Bard

Apologies! I hadn't noticed we'd moved to this thread already. It isn't listed under "Campaigns" for me, which was what confused me. Just assume Edwyn's a little sluggish due to the differing climate. But in general, I'm guessing there's no initiative system... but how would that work with my inspiring people? Is it best to let me start off so everyone can get the combat bonus?

First, Bardic Lore. When you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully. The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in.

My specialty is A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual. Do I need to ask you about the regeneration and vulnerabilities? Or am I assumed to know that and just need to Spout it? If I don't get that for free, my question is "What are its strengths and vulnerabilities?" If I do, my question is, instead, "What also lives around here that a troll might hunt in tandem with that fits the thing approaching's size and position?"

And, um, I should probably do something about those incoming troll claws.

Defy Danger! Roll+Dex:2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 6) + 1 = 9

Edwyn's mind reels at the troll's approach, and he's happy to note the fighting men react far quicker than he. Just as he's sure something important is clicking into place in his head about these beasts, he notices the incoming strike and tries to dance backward and save his pretty face.

Lantern Lodge

Edwyn Doyle wrote:
My specialty is A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual. Do I need to ask you about the regeneration and vulnerabilities? Or am I assumed to know that and just need to Spout it? If I don't get that for free, my question is "What are its strengths and vulnerabilities?" If I do, my question is, instead, "What also lives around here that a troll might hunt in tandem with that fits the thing approaching's size and position?"

You can spout it if you like if you think a northerly troll might be a bit different than a troll from Medirope, but I'll give it to you for free, too!

Troll: What wicked vileness waits and slumbers betwixt the arches of bridges in the northern kingdoms yet but trolls? As fire and acid are as anathema to its crawling, ever-healing flesh, a troll's claws rend and tear a man's body as if it were threadbare cloth.
If anything were to travel with these hideous giant-kin, 'twould be another giant-kin-- perhaps even another outcast from its peoples.

Either the creature that approaches is an ettin, a two-headed brute that would make the troll look stunted by comparison... or simply an adult troll. This one isn't yet fully grown. Yes-- they get bigger.

Quote:

And, um, I should probably do something about those incoming troll claws.

Defy Danger! Roll+Dex: 2d6 + 1 = 9

Edwyn's mind reels at the troll's approach, and he's happy to note the fighting men react far quicker than he. Just as he's sure something important is clicking into place in his head about these beasts, he notices the incoming strike and tries to dance backward and save his pretty face.

The troll swipes and Edwyn dodges just in time-- fast enough to avoid being impaled by it's claws-- but not quite quick enough. As the creature's forearm collides with his side, he loses footing and tumbles down the side of the bridge, catching himself at chest-height with his arms before falling the full height of the bridge into the slow-moving frozen river below.

Climbing up won't be defy danger, but just as part of whatever action someone else wants to narrate at that point. :)

Erland Cronarson wrote:

Hack and Slash: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 4) + 2 = 9

Damage: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Erland's upthrust blade slashes shallowly along the troll's arm, just above the elbow. His extended stance leaves him open to a counter blow from the giant. Throgrim can handle whatever's in the woods for now. He thinks, after hearing Uqalik cry out.

As Erland cuts into the troll's arm, it growls and pulls its arm back, slamming its elbow into him and attempting to throw him off of the bridge into the thin air surrounding it.

Damage: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The blow glances powerfully off of Erland's shield, ringing it like a bell but sending him off balance. It roars mightily, perhaps more urgently this time, before moving its massive bulk a step forward and-- just before it throws its whole weight into the shove-- it smirks. "Zabaz, Cronarsson," it growls. But in that split second before it sends Erland hurtling, What do you do?

-

Thorgrim Sigurdson wrote:

"Face you now Thorgrim Sigurdson, heigull, and dine well on my steel!"

Challenge Declared! 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 = 7
When you cry out a challenge to your enemies, roll+CON. *On a 10+ they treat you as the most obvious threat to be dealt with and ignore your companions, take +2 damage ongoing against them. *On a 7-9 only a few (the weakest or most foolhardy among them) fall prey to your taunting.

The burly northman vaults towards whatever approaches, his face still awash in grim anticipation of the carnage that is sure to follow.

There's a pause from the branches and the darkness of the trees, and then an immense cracking. A second later, a fir's trunk comes flying from the dark, followed by the loud pounding of giant's feet on the earth. It's aimed, almost like a clumsily thrown spear, directly at Thorgrim, and it's tosser follows close behind. What do you do?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Bard

If I spout now, am I a waterspout?

Edwyn shouts like a raving madman in a likely vain attempt to warm his blood and keep his body from going into shock.

Fire! Acid! None of which we have, gods damn it! Just put something sharp in its soft bits until the... w-wounds s-s-stop c-closing!

He tries to claw his way desperately out of the frigid water and clings, barnacle-like, to the side of the bridge.

He may lack flames, yet mighty blows
the Cronar-son's quick-flashing blade has drawn
apart the stunted giant's shaggy pelt
and sent it loping back-- um, help?

Inspiring Cronarson for +1d4 forward to damage. And in focusing on that and not fully climbing out, his fingers are slipping by the last note of the simple verse...


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

Erland tries to stab the troll in the face as it body checks him.

Hack and slash: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4) + 2 = 8
Damage: 1d10 + 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + (3) + 1 = 7


Female Human Thief

At Uqalik's cry, Sparrow feels her heart settle comfortably into her stomach.Oh, wonderful, there's more… And her tiny dagger didn't even seem to bother that troll.

She can hear Edwyn shouting. With a quick glance, she sees him clinging to the side of the bridge. She runs towards him, shouting as she goes. "Fire! Does anyone have any flint? A torch? Anything?"

Sparrow skids to a stop as she nears him and tries to brace herself. One arm is extended as she, shakily, attempts to grab Edwyn and help him hoist himself onto the bridge properly.

Aid: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 1 = 6

Please, Hedda, not this way... I don't want to go to your sister, please. She can feel herself slipping. "Damn it, Edwyn, you're heavy!"

The dice are not with me. Not in the slightest. Somehow I have a feeling I'll soon have a funeral for myself...What happens since I blew my Aid roll so terribly?


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

totally forgot about the barbarian dice on my previous roll -- whoops

Much to the surprise of any watching, Thorgrim lowers his shoulder into the tree as it approaches in an attempt to simply weather the brunt of the attack.

1d6 + 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + (5) + 2 = 9

Another reminder, the d8 rolled higher than the d6, which adds an additional complication or danger to the result.


Male Human Bard

Should't have had that extra haunch of mutton...

"S-sorry, love! It's all m-muscle, I assure you!"
He manages to wink, probably just by suppressing the spasms on the opposite side of his face. He lowers his voice in her ear, then, soft and sincere.
"But honestly... thank you."


Male Human Bard

Edwyn frantically rummages through his pack with his free hand and uncoils a length of hemp rope and an attached grapple.

Aid her aid?

Roll + Dex: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 1 = 5

Lantern Lodge

Erland Cronarson wrote:

Erland tries to stab the troll in the face as it body checks him.

Hack and slash: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 4) + 2 = 8
Damage: 1d10 + 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + (3) + 1 = 7

Erland interrupts the troll's giantish insult with a stab directly to the eye, leaving the creature howling in pain. It slaps out and hits Erland in the back, knocking him onto his belly as the troll takes several steps back, Erland's sword still lodged in its eye socket. It pulls the weapon from it and tosses it to the ground with a clatter of steel on stone.

The troll pauses to shout several times in giant-- "Fargul darbuk gogron gog'gron!" as steam begins to rise from the blood running down its body. Maybe it's cursing? And then its eye, once hewn and mutilated, floats to the top of the wound and begins to blink.

Sparrow! wrote:

Aid: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3) + 1 = 6

Please, Hedda, not this way... I don't want to go to your sister, please. She can feel herself slipping. "Damn it, Edwyn, you're heavy!"

The dice are not with me. Not in the slightest. Somehow I have a feeling I'll soon have a funeral for myself...What happens since I blew my Aid roll so terribly?

Well, you only aid on a roll-- if there's no roll to aid, then aid isn't necessary. We can just say that since Edwyn took time to do something else, you can easily pull him up off of the side of the bridge with no problems (besides a lot of effort-- you do have 8 strength!)

I also like the bridge actually being rather short off of the water, so we'll go with that like it's what I was thinking all along.

Freezing water clings to Edwyn's clothes, sending sharp shivers up his spine, even as he's pulled from the river.

Thorgrim! wrote:

Much to the surprise of any watching, Thorgrim lowers his shoulder into the tree as it approaches in an attempt to simply weather the brunt of the attack.

Defy Danger:1d6 + 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + (5) + 2 = 9

Thorgrim stands strong as the tree sails into him, splintering and shattering into frozen shards all around him. It doesn't knock him to the ground, but it stuns him for just a moment, shards of sharp wood imbedded into his armor.

What lumbers forth is wrapped in pelts, a collection of dwarven shields wrapped around its waist as a makeshift belt. Green skin peeks out from underneath its armor as the creature draws up an enormous patchwork morningstar. To call it a weapon would be an insult to weaponry-- a gnarled tree trunk, set through with swords and iron shards, sharp shields and other angry metal blades. Two giant, tusked faces glare as it approaches.

Two-headed troll. Huh. Close.

"Thorgrim durak!" it says, not repeating but-- recognizing? It seems like it's heard your name. Even though it's next words are in giant, you're certain that they're something you've heard before: "If I take your head, they'll sing songs about my name. Prepare to die, barbarian!" It lifts the morningstar with deadly intent. What do you do?

Current status, HP and position:

Thorgrim
HP: 24/24, 1 armor

Sparrow
HP: 15/15, 1 armor

Erland
HP: 23/25, 3 armor

Edwyn
HP: 18/18, 1 armor

Uqaliak
HP: 18/18, 1 armor

Current Position:Thorgrim is facing down the two-headed troll that's about to give him the business end of a giant weapon. Erland blinded the other troll with a mighty blow... but was knocked down and had his weapon stolen. The juvenile troll backed away to regenerate instead. Edwyn was knocked into the freezing water but Sparrow pulled him free.

Standing up, retrieving a weapon is all just narrative-- so is drawing another one. Remember that weapons are kind of just narrative tools-- you can do your damage even unarmed, but the weapons help make it more plausible that you'd deal damage to a giant, thick-skinned troll, if you get my drift.

And for Thorgrim, you're not stunned as per the debility-- just unable to react until it's right on top of you. Since the big troll's already in melee with you, you don't need to defy danger to hack and slash him right now, but others will. You will, though, if you leave melee with him and return.

Edwyn, if you want to make me happy, Defy Danger+con in tandem with your next action and narrate the results!

Little Troll
Close, reach, forceful
HP: 8/16, 1 armor

Big Troll
Close, reach, forceful
If more than one person attacks the big troll, it can defend itself, necessitating hack and slash.
Defy danger for anyone to enter it's melee presence as it knows much better how to use its reach and weapon to keep the little mortals back.
HP: 20/20, 2 armor

Have at 'em.


Female Human Thief

Good to know! I wasn't quite sure about that... Thank you for the explanation.

All muscle my left shoulder…

She feels her body begin to shake as she braces herself, pulling backwards. Her joints pop and crack and she holds her breath, pulling harder. Beads of sweat form on her forehead and she shuts her eyes tight. Finally, with a last mighty heave, Sparrow manages to hoist Edwyn up as she falls on her backside.

"You're...welcome." She's panting and she points in the general direction of the smaller troll - as of yet unaware of the two headed beast. "Now...go kill that thing...I'll catch up."


Male Human Bard

Defy Danger, roll+con: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9
Edwyn does his best to hop up and down and frantically rub his upper arms in a desperate self-hug in a poorly-contrived attempt to regain circulation.

"I'm on it!" he assures her with rather more confidence than he can reasonably muster at the moment.

He draws his dueling rapier and flicks the water off with a quick flourish.


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

Thorgrim's cold eyes and expressionless face do not match the challenges that drip from his tongue. "You think your trees will save you? My kindling is the bones of your forebears, whelp! And the fire ever hungers for more."

Thorgrim brings his sword up alongside his waist, swinging in a climbing arc that is intended to sheer the tip off of the mutant-troll's weapon-studded tree.

Defying Danger with Strength: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + (5) + 1 = 7

Lantern Lodge

Thorgrim Sigurdson wrote:

Thorgrim's cold eyes and expressionless face do not match the challenges that drip from his tongue. "You think your trees will save you? My kindling is the bones of your forebears, whelp! And the fire ever hungers for more."

Thorgrim brings his sword up alongside his waist, swinging in a climbing arc that is intended to sheer the tip off of the mutant-troll's weapon-studded tree.

Defying Danger with Strength: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + (5) + 1 = 7

The blade of your sword slams into the mutant-troll's morningstar as he attempts to crush you with it, bouncing both of you backwards for a brief instant as the weapons collide. A flurry of snow and wood splinters blows up off of the ground, obscuring vision for a brief instant.

When you regain your bearing, though, your hands are emptied rather forcefully-- and you realize that your sword has cracked the morningstar's center, missing the narrow handle by inches to imbed itself deep in the gnarled, weapon-riddled core. The troll hefts it, rolling his shoulder, one head locked on you and the other staring at its numb arm. It hasn't noticed yet.

The choice is apparent: leap up to catch the sword to try to reclaim it and open yourself up to further danger... or let it take it, for now, until the morningstar inevitably shatters-- which could be as soon as the next blow, judging by the strength of the wedge you've driven through it.

Quote:

Defy Danger, roll+con: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

Edwyn does his best to hop up and down and frantically rub his upper arms in a desperate self-hug in a poorly-contrived attempt to regain circulation.

"I'm on it!" he assures her with rather more confidence than he can reasonably muster at the moment.

He draws his dueling rapier and flicks the water off with a quick flourish.

The troll growls from down the lane, its eye bubbling-- Edwyn's chill buying it another brief second as Erland recovers.


Male Human Bard

Edwyn resumes his musical damage-enhancing support for Erland while at the same time moving towards Thorgrim to stand against the greater foe.

Weave a performance into a basic spell, roll+cha: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 2 = 8


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

Thorgrim, grasping that the dull-witted thing has not yet grasped what brief advantage it had, lurches forward and directly at the giant. As he approaches, he unholsters a knife from his thigh—a wickedly curved edge fastened in a carved antler grip. Leaning on both hands with the thrust, he makes to plunge the dagger into the back of the troll's left leg and unzip it from knee to ankle.

Hack and Slash Roll: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + (3) + 1 = 10
Damage Dice: 1d10 ⇒ 6

Lantern Lodge

Edwyn Doyle wrote:

Edwyn resumes his musical damage-enhancing support for Erland while at the same time moving towards Thorgrim to stand against the greater foe.

Weave a performance into a basic spell, roll+cha: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 2 = 8

We'll take this as the roll for when you were neck-deep in the river-- I forgot that you needed to roll for it since I was too amused by your performance.

Also, on an 8... are you drawing unwanted attention or letting the magic reverberate to the little troll?

Thorgrim Sigurdson wrote:

Thorgrim, grasping that the dull-witted thing has not yet grasped what brief advantage it had, lurches forward and directly at the giant. As he approaches, he unholsters a knife from his thigh—a wickedly curved edge fastened in a carved antler grip. Leaning on both hands with the thrust, he makes to plunge the dagger into the back of the troll's left leg and unzip it from knee to ankle.

Hack and Slash Roll: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + (3) + 1 = 10
Damage Dice: 1d10 ⇒ 6

The two-headed troll growls out in pain and anger, the wound slipping with blood that steams the moment it hits the freezing air. It turns, lumbering on thick legs before slamming the morningstar down towards Thorgrim with a cry in gibbering giantish. You deftly avoid the first strike but the second swing sends you sailing away, slamming into the trunk of a fir tree outside of it's range.

On an odd roll for damage, it'll break. I like that so I'll stick with it.
Clubbing Thorgrim: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 damage.

The morningstar explodes around you as it slams you away, coming apart entirely in the mutant-troll's hands. Weapons and shields clatter on the ground all around the point of impact-- a short sword sails towards you and imbeds in the tree inches above your head. Both heads stare, jaw agape at the shattered hilt of their club. The mutant-troll discards it. The hilt clacks with a wooden sound before dipping into the river. It roars and readies its dangerous claws, its weight uneven on its ruined leg. You can see Edwyn approaching down the bridge, but it doesn't seem to notice him yet-- it's focused on you entirely after your bellowing challenge.


Female Human Thief

Thorgrim, remind me to never, ever, ever make you mad. Or, if I do, remind me to hide behind Edwyn.

It takes a moment for Sparrow to catch her breath, but, at last, she stands up. Her eyes focus on the smaller troll - only once deviating to Erland. He didn't seem to be dead. That was always a good sign.

She takes a deep breath to prepare herself. It shakes in her lungs. "Though I walk into the shadows, I am not afraid." From a sheath on her belt, she draws a curved dagger. For Hedda's eye will always be my candle in darkness.

With a flick of the other wrist, a throwing dagger slips itself from the fastening in her sleeve into her empty palm.

Sparrow tosses the throwing dagger as hard as she can, praying that it lodges itself somewhere in the troll.

Volley: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1) + 2 = 5
Damage roll - if it hits: 1d8 ⇒ 5

Feigning a calm that she doesn't possess, she begins to move towards the creature.


Male Human Bard

I'll draw its ire. Especially since the other hasn't focused on me... yet.


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

Man, I need to pay attention to my sheet; forgot my +2 damage against this guy. Down to 15 hit points now (10 - 1 for armor = 9 damage)

For the first time since any save Erland have seen since meeting Thorgrim, the grizzled warrior almost grins. He rises to his feet, wrenching the shortsword from the tree above him as he does so. Once more he points blade towards foe as he steadily advances forward, seemingly oblivious to the blood that dribbles from the corner of his lips. Crimson droplets spray into the air and onto the snow that clings to the ground as he growls out in the nearly forgotten tongue of the North, "Hátíð sem þú býður upp á galar verður vitni að minni dýrð."

Barbspeak:
"The feast you offer the crows will be a testament to my glory"

Thorgrim becomes a much more animated combatant, and his warcry echoes across the air like a battle drum. He rushes for the monstrous troll with fury creeping across his face, leaping the length of nearly two full men to bury the sword up to the hilt in the giant's gut.

Hack and Slash: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + (6) + 1 = 12
Damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Bard

While Thorgrim has it pinioned on his mighty blade, Edwyn will sneak behind the giant and whip his saber like a switch against the monster's impossibly thick hamstring.

"I may not be a true warrior, beast, but that man is. And when he bids you fall, you FALL!"

Hack and Slash (precise, piercing 1) 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2) + 1 = 9


Male Human Bard

Damage? 1d6 ⇒ 6


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

Erland dives past the smaller troll to grab at his sword.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8


Female Human Thief

Sparrow flicks her last throwing dagger into her empty palm. She throws it just as Erland dives for his sword.

Volley: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 = 6


HP 16/18, Hold NA

Uqalik drops his pack. "There's fire in there somewhere, Sparrow."

His form shifts and grows, larger than a man, but still shorter than the troll threatening Erland, as Nanuq the white bear roars out a challenge to it. He remains standing upright, prepared to come crashing down on the troll if it tries to move past him. I must protect her until the fire is ready, he thinks.

Hold (Shapeshifter): 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 2 = 7 Hold 2
Hold (Defend): 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 6) + 1 = 13 Hold 3

Does Hold from multiple sources stack? Just to clarify, Uqalik!Nanuq will spend Hold to either halve (if possible) or redirect attacks aimed at Sparrow or himself (halve only).

Picture

Lantern Lodge

Thorgrim Sigurdson wrote:


For the first time since any save Erland have seen since meeting Thorgrim, the grizzled warrior almost grins. He rises to his feet, wrenching the shortsword from the tree above him as he does so. Once more he points blade towards foe as he steadily advances forward, seemingly oblivious to the blood that dribbles from the corner of his lips. Crimson droplets spray into the air and onto the snow that clings to the ground as he growls out in the nearly forgotten tongue of the North, "Hátíð sem þú býður upp á galar verður vitni að minni dýrð."

Thorgrim becomes a much more animated combatant, and his warcry echoes across the air like a battle drum. He rushes for the monstrous troll with fury creeping across his face, leaping the length of nearly two full men to bury the sword up to the hilt in the giant's gut.

Hack and Slash: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + (6) + 1 = 12
Damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

And...

Edwyn! wrote:

While Thorgrim has it pinioned on his mighty blade, Edwyn will sneak behind the giant and whip his saber like a switch against the monster's impossibly thick hamstring.

"I may not be a true warrior, beast, but that man is. And when he bids you fall, you FALL!"

Hack and Slash (precise, piercing 1) 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2) + 1 = 9

Both of you give me Defy Dangers however you'd like-- maybe it's Dex to sneak in for Edwyn and Dex for Thorgrim's leap, the creature's got reach and is difficult to get in close against without being counter-attacked. Your success or failure colors how I'll respond to your 9 and draw danger, Edwyn, and Thorgrim might suffer some danger on the way in.

I think I listed it in the monster's stats in the last spoiler I put up, and it's okay if you guys missed it-- just consider glancing in the future, as Defying Danger to approach or interact is a hallmark of difficult opponents, and other monsters may have similar or weaker effects.

Uqalik the Angakkuq wrote:

Uqalik drops his pack. "There's fire in there somewhere, Sparrow."

His form shifts and grows, larger than a man, but still shorter than the troll threatening Erland, as Nanuq the white bear roars out a challenge to it. He remains standing upright, prepared to come crashing down on the troll if it tries to move past him. I must protect her until the fire is ready, he thinks.

Shapeshifter)2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 2 = 7 Hold 2
(Defend)2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 6) + 1 = 13 Hold 3

Does Hold from multiple sources stack? Just to clarify, Uqalik!Nanuq will spend Hold to either halve (if possible) or redirect attacks aimed at Sparrow or himself (halve only).

Picture

Cool image-- loving that you guys are linking image references as you go along. I find it awesome.

Your hold from defend will let you redirect 3 attacks to yourself, halve 3 attacks effects, deal your level 3 times in return for 3 attacks, open up an enemy giving +1 forward 3 times... or any combination of the above. You could redirect an attack, halve its damage and deal your level back, but then you're out of hold entirely, or you could spend 2 and save one.

And for the bear, consider that, narratively, it makes it believable to stand up to the troll in physical power. Spend your hold to give him the bear hug! You could spend hold to just ignore Defy danger + con if you take a dive in the river.

Erland! wrote:

Erland dives past the smaller troll to grab at his sword.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8

The troll growls, loudly, and turns on its heels to follow him. It towers over Erland, and then...

Sparrow! wrote:

Volley: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 1) + 2 = 5

Feigning a calm that she doesn't possess, she begins to move towards the creature.

The dagger wheels past its face, narrowly nicking the tip of it's ear and missing its mark. The troll glowers for an instant and turns. Like swatting at a fly, it lunges out with a claw to bat Sparrow from the bridge.

Nanuq the bear leaps forward, prepared to defend-- What options do you choose? I know you're redirecting, but are you also halving?

The troll's claws rake bloody lines across Nanuq's body as he moves in the way of the strike, interdicting between the claws and sparrow.

1d10 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 If you're halving, 5!

The troll narrows its eyes and pulls the claws free, trying to defend itself now that it's stuck between a polar bear and a paladin.

Quote:

Sparrow flicks her last throwing dagger into her empty palm. She throws it just as Erland dives for his sword.

Volley: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 = 6

If I can, the one thing I'd like is for the same person to avoid taking multiple same actions at once before I get to respond-- because then, by all rights, you might end up rolling several 6s and then taking hard moves mercilessly... like you just did. I could deal 2d10+6 to you and maybe even kill you without people-- number one being yourself!-- being able to really react or try to stop that, and it's something that is avoidedly neatly face-to-face but is more difficult to express in a PBP. But, this is a learning experience for all of us! So don't consider this a scolding-- just a "in the future..." kind of thing, something I'm learning along with you all. As an aside, a defy danger and a hack and slash together is fine as I can react to both differently, though.

Since I'm already attacking you (and I switched up the order of operations a bit on actions) I'll just call your dagger a loss and say that's about all. Or keep it! Up to you.

Current Status, HP and Position:

Thorgrim
HP:
15/24, 1 armor

Sparrow
HP:
15/15, 1 armor

Erland
HP:
23/25, 3 armor

Edwyn
HP
: 18/18, 1 armor

Uqaliak
HP:
18/18, 1 armor

Current Position: Thorgrim is leaping at the big troll as Edwyn comes in from behind, waiting on Defy Dangers to see how that goes. Thorgrim has his weapon and the troll is swatting at Sparrow as Uqalik!Nanuq defends her from harm.

Little Troll
Close, reach, forceful
HP: 8/16, 1 armor

Big Troll
Close, reach, forceful
If more than one person attacks the big troll, it can defend itself, necessitating hack and slash.
Defy danger for anyone to enter it's melee presence as it knows much better how to use its reach and weapon to keep the little mortals back.
HP: After rolled damage-- 2/20, 2 armor


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

Taking the distraction offered him by the polar bear, Erland scoops up his blade and brings it around in a wicked slice at the back of the troll's knees.

Hack and Slash: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 4) + 2 = 12
Damage: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Human Bard

Edwyn curses the cold creeping into his joints, which would make any kind of acrobatics a risky gamble at best. Thinking quickly, he kicks up a spray of snow in an arc and hopes the ruse distorts the giant's awareness of his exact position enough to give him the opening he needs to avoid being absentmindedly swatted like an irritating horsefly.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 1 = 5


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

Thorgrim anticipates the brute's swipe, and attempts to use the troll's right forearm as a springboard to add height to his leap. He stutter steps briefly as the blow angles towards him, then places his left foot upon it's wrist and then tries to propel himself forward and upward.

Defy Danger (Dex): 1d6 + 1d8 ⇒ (3) + (5) = 8


Female Human Thief

Thank you, DM Titan, for the guidance. I really do appreciate it. I'll be the one that makes all the mistakes so that we all learn! (No sarcasm, I promise.)

In the chaos, Sparrow feels herself slipping. She glances around, trying to keep track of her comrades. Only to be saved from the troll's claws by the polar bear.

She jumps backwards.

Defy Danger(Dex): 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 = 4


HP 16/18, Hold NA
Quote:

Nanuq the bear leaps forward, prepared to defend-- What options do you choose?

The troll's claws rake bloody lines across Nanuq's body as he moves in the way of the strike, interdicting between the claws and sparrow.

The bear awkwardly examines his wound. It looks worse than it feels, he thinks. I took a glancing blow which would have hurt more had it been aimed at me.

Redirecting and halving damage. Does armor still apply when in animal form?

If Sparrow's gone and pitched herself into the river, Uqalik will follow and fish her out, after gesturing at Erland to get his pack.

Lantern Lodge

Thorgrim Sigurdson wrote:

For the first time since any save Erland have seen since meeting Thorgrim, the grizzled warrior almost grins. He rises to his feet, wrenching the shortsword from the tree above him as he does so. Once more he points blade towards foe as he steadily advances forward, seemingly oblivious to the blood that dribbles from the corner of his lips. Crimson droplets spray into the air and onto the snow that clings to the ground as he growls out in the nearly forgotten tongue of the North, "Hátíð sem þú býður upp á galar verður vitni að minni dýrð."

Thorgrim becomes a much more animated combatant, and his warcry echoes across the air like a battle drum. He rushes for the monstrous troll with fury creeping across his face.

The mutant-troll turns one head towards him, baring fangs and breathing a cloud of steam. It swipes out with lightning precision, claws flashing.

Quote:

... Thorgrim anticipates the brute's swipe, and attempts to use the troll's right forearm as a springboard to add height to his leap. He stutter steps briefly as the blow angles towards him, then places his left foot upon it's wrist and then tries to propel himself forward and upward-- leaping the length of nearly two full men to bury the sword up to the hilt in the giant's gut.

Defy Danger (Dex): Defy Danger (Dex): 1d6 + 1d8 ⇒ (3) + (5) = 8

Hack and Slash: 1d6 + 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + (6) + 1 = 12
Damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Thorgrim sails into the troll and slams the shortsword into it's flesh with a resounding sound. It cries out in anger and pain, but then as Thorgrim attempts to follow through, a massive green rips him away from its body, leaving the sword impaled into its abdomen. It holds him upsidedown by his feet, and lifts its hand to break him open across the ground...

Edwyn Doyle wrote:

Edwyn curses the cold creeping into his joints, which would make any kind of acrobatics a risky gamble at best. Thinking quickly, he kicks up a spray of snow in an arc and hopes the ruse distorts the giant's awareness of his exact position enough to give him the opening he needs to avoid being absentmindedly swatted like an irritating horsefly.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (1, 3) + 1 = 5

The wave of snow rises, and then as Edwyn peels through it, a massive hand rises above it. Claws at the ready, the second head stares through the snow at you, and they drop sharply upon your body. There's an instant where the second head grins, and then...

When it raises its claw, when the snow fades; Nothing is there.

The second head gapes. Nothing but a cloak and a feathered cap remain under its mighty fist. It screws up its eyes, trying to comprehend what had happened, when...

Edwyn! wrote:

Edwyn whips his saber like a switch against the monster's impossibly thick hamstring.

"I may not be a true warrior, beast, but that man is. And when he bids you fall, you FALL!"

Hack and Slash (precise, piercing 1) 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2) + 1 = 9

The mutant-troll cries out in anger, losing its balance and dropping onto one knee with a resounding thud. It turns its body and, instead of keeping grip on Thorgrim, whips him at Edwyn with its immense strength. An instant later, both of them collide with messy force and tumble across the snow and ground together.

As you stand, the cloak flutters in the giant's wake as it repeatedly attempts to stand on shaking legs. It growls out in giantish, both voices speaking simultaneously-- "Brakaz! Darbuk! Farbul darbuk gogron!"-- calling not to you, but the other troll. Edwyn's cloak dances in the gusts made by the giant's limbs, revealing its utterly ragged state. Warm blood runs along jagged slashes on Edwyn's body.

Edwyn's Damage from catching a troll claw = 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Thorgrim's Damage from being thrown = 1d8 ⇒ 8, armor piercing.

Edwyn's Damage from catching Thorgrim = 1d6 ⇒ 4, armor piercing.

Uqalik the Angakkuq wrote:
Quote:

Nanuq the bear leaps forward, prepared to defend-- What options do you choose?

The troll's claws rake bloody lines across Nanuq's body as he moves in the way of the strike, interdicting between the claws and sparrow.

The bear awkwardly examines his wound. It looks worse than it feels, he thinks. I took a glancing blow which would have hurt more had it been aimed at me.

Redirecting and halving damage. Does armor still apply when in animal form?

Yep! is the short answer, and the long answer is that anything you think your bear could use, you also have access to. Wildshaping, unless it's a 6- on the roll, never takes anything away that's already there-- it just might deny narrative access to like, using a rope and grappling hook or uncorking and drinking a potion.

The troll roars in frustration as it grapples with Nanuq momentarily, attempting to topple him out of the way. "Zabaz sizuk!" it calls back to it's two-headed brother, and it's brother's answer of "Hagga!" startles it. It turns, Erland's threat called out to him, but not in time.

Erland Cronarson wrote:

Taking the distraction offered him by the polar bear, Erland scoops up his blade and brings it around in a wicked slice at the back of the troll's knees.

Hack and Slash 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 4) + 2 = 12
Damage 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Both legs remain firmly planted on the ground for a spare second after the troll's body collapses on the bridge...

Catharina "Sparrow" Falk wrote:

In the chaos, Sparrow feels herself slipping. She glances around, trying to keep track of her comrades. Only to be saved from the troll's claws by the polar bear.

She jumps backwards.

Defy Danger(Dex) 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 1) + 2 = 4

... directly onto Sparrow. The troll doesn't crush her, its upper body flailing still to try to counter Erland-- it just hits her with its arm, batting her back, its weight and momentum bouncing her off of her feet and onto her head.

Damage from being bonked: 1d6 ⇒ 2, armor piercing.

Green blood flows powerfully from its wounds as it lashes out in death-throes, catching Erland with its mighty claws and doing nothing-- Cronar doesn't allow its slashes to even fray the cloth of your cloak or tousle the hair on your shoulders. The force of the blows whip you with wind that is empty and hollow, as if it were never there.

With impotent rage, it slashes upon you until it begins to grow still-- and then, with a hissing sound, you can see the blood running from its legs beginning to solidify, and its body jerks as if becoming conscious again. It feebly rolls, attempting to drag itself away as bone and leg try to reform, but does nothing more than awkwardly and slowly writhe on the ground.

You can assume this troll is "dead" until someone deals with it with some fire or acid-- and then it's dead. But for now, it's in quotations.

The other troll's jaws both drop as it calls out in cracking, simultaneous voices-- "S-Sszazza'gak!" It's allies death allows it the anger necessary to stand, and as it does, blood spurts from both of its wounds. It drops all pretense of form or skill and charges the bridge, its shaky leg giving it a limping gait. You're sure it means to kill Erland, no matter the cost. What do you do?

Current Status, HP and Position:

Thorgrim
HP:
7/24, 1 armor

Sparrow
HP:
13/15, 1 armor

Erland
HP:
23/25, 3 armor

Edwyn
HP:
8/18, 1 armor

Uqaliak
HP:
18/18, 1 armor

Current Position: Thorgrim is leaping at the big troll as Edwyn comes in from behind, waiting on Defy Dangers to see how that goes. Thorgrim has his weapon and the troll is swatting at Sparrow as Uqalik!Nanuq defends her from harm.

Don't worry about Defy Danger if you're receiving the troll's charge and counter-attacking, but it might end up worse if you wait for it to get to you-- if you're Hack and Slashing it when it gets there, it might end up bad.

Little Troll
Close, reach, forceful, dead, an ex-troll, it is no more
HP: Exactly 0/16, 1 armor-- Still needs to be set on fire, or might pop up as a threat on a hard move.

Big Troll
Close, reach, forceful
If more than one person attacks the big troll, it can defend itself, necessitating hack and slash.
Defy danger for anyone to enter it's melee presence as it knows much better how to use its reach to keep the little mortals back.

HP: 2/20, 2 armor


Appearance 1/Appearance 2

Erland raises his shield ready to deflect the larger giant's blow and tumble out of its way. "Cronar, I have slain one foe in your name. Grant me now the strength to finish the other!" he cries out.

Defy Danger: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8

Erland will wait until the big troll is right on him. He'll try to deflect the creature's blow with his shield and use the momentum to tumble out of the way.


Male Human Bard

So did my 6 damage go through or was the attack negated due to my craptastic attempt at danger defiance?

Rather than rise, a white specter in the snow, and invite further ruin rained on his ragged form, Edwyn wisely lies still. Then again, the fact that he has two hundred or so pounds of corded Northman muscle crushing his lower back doesn't exactly bode well for standing up, either.

So he does what he can, and what comes naturally: he sings. He sings to no one in particular (though the beneficial effects, healing 1d8, will go to Thorgrim by virtue of proximity) and the first song that his trauma-addled brain can think of is a lullaby sung to him by a heavy Southern nursemaid every night as a child. His voice is steady, soft, and sweet, and it flows into Thorgrim as a healing light, suffusing his body, soothing his pain, and knitting his wounds back together like a sonic string of silk.

Roll+Cha: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6) + 2 = 9
Healing Thorgrim: 1d8 ⇒ 5


HP 16/18, Hold NA

Moving does not equal "dead" in Uqalik's book.

Nanuq pries open the downed troll's ribs with his paws as his mighty jaws tear the troll's heart out of its chest. The savage animal inside Uqalik will not rest until he is certain the troll is dead.


Female Human Thief

She wasn't quite sure when she had been struck or the distance it had sent her. What Sparrow is sure of is a burning sensation sweeping the palms and fingers of her hands and the tip of her nose. It's accompanied by a slow-spreading ache in her back that she ignores, standing up. The creature is writhing on the ground. Fire, we need fire.

Sparrow runs towards Uqalik's pack and begins rummaging through it. Come on... But the bear is already upon the troll - ripping into the chest cavity with a savage ferocity.

It's at that exact moment that she becomes aware of the two headed monstrosity running straight towards Erland. It's also at that moment that she realizes Erland isn't moving out of its path.

"What is wrong with you? Get out of the way!"

Fire. There has to be flint in here.


Stats:
HP 16/16; AC xx, Flat Footed xx, Touch xx; CMD xx (xxBer); Fort +x, Ref +x, Will +x; Perception +4; Initiative +x

Seeing no fire being produced, Thorgrim attempts to recall the various campaigns he has waged against trollkind during his exploits abroad, hoping that he can recall some method beyond the obvious that could deal with the problem at hand. He bends down and retrieves his greatsword as he mulls this over, firm strides carrying him towards his quarry and nephew on the bridge.

Spout Lore: 1d6 + 1d8 ⇒ (3) + (3) = 6

Lantern Lodge

Thorgrim Sigurdson wrote:

Seeing no fire being produced, Thorgrim attempts to recall the various campaigns he has waged against trollkind during his exploits abroad, hoping that he can recall some method beyond the obvious that could deal with the problem at hand. He bends down and retrieves his greatsword as he mulls this over, firm strides carrying him towards his quarry and nephew on the bridge.

Spout Lore: 1d6 + 1d8 ⇒ (3) + (3) = 6

Love Spout Lore. Is there any specific thing *you* think would be a good way to take out a troll? Ripping its heart out is one thing-- it's still going to come back, but it might take a lot longer now. Would Thorgrim know maybe a shortcut-- something from his far-north home?

Because otherwise? Thorgrim can recall that trolls fear-- no, despise-- lightning, or even the sound of it. Loud ringing of church bells also sends them into a panic, and in its weakened state, a ringing could stop the creature's heart-- a heart that still beats even as Nanuq bears it in his mighty jaws.

Erland Cronarson wrote:

Erland raises his shield ready to deflect the larger giant's blow and tumble out of its way. "Cronar, I have slain one foe in your name. Grant me now the strength to finish the other!" he cries out.

Defy Danger 2d6 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8

Erland will wait until the big troll is right on him. He'll try to deflect the creature's blow with his shield and use the momentum to tumble out of the way.

The massive troll brings down its hand, but not only that-- its entire body, elbows and knees toppling down as its wound shows its ugly head. The force cracks portions of the bridge, water enveloping the center of it. It swings out and catches Erland, intending to send him flying, but he can feel his body is heavy, like he is encased in iron armor. He stays firmly planted upon the bridge until he deigns to use the blow to leap out of the sliding giant's path.

Damage from the troll's final blow: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Where you stand right now, Erland, you can just deal damage. It has no way to really respond to you now that you've slipped out of the way and that was its final blow.

Sparrow! wrote:
Fire. There has to be flint in here.

Rummaging in the pack, you feel warmth-- refreshing, illuminating warmth. Sparrow's looking for fire, Uqalik-- what does she find that is above and beyond what she was looking for?

1 to 50 of 114 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [DW] Frost and Frozen Iron All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.