Fevered Dreams

Game Master JonGarrett

Website of Fun


401 to 450 of 2,943 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Female Human (Valkyrie) Warpriest 5 | HP 38/38 | AC: 25, T: 15, FF: 21 | Fort: +8, Ref: +2, Will: +8 | BAB: +3, CMB: +9, CMD: 23, M.Attack +11(1d8+10)| Init: +0 | Perception: +1 | SP: 7/12 | Fervor 0/7

Knowledge(history: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
"I do understand, Lord Bercilak, Handler of the Black Hounds. But you will understand as well why we can't let the Hunt ride over Fever, especially when it is brought by intrigue and mischief, rather than real slight. If there was no real murder in Sanctuary, then there is no reason to declare blood feud on Valda. Call off the Hunt, we'll give you back Carmilla and forget this incident. But be warned, should you rather choose to take her by force, that this mine is dangerously unstable. A fight might bring it all down on her."


Human (Haunted One) HP 50/50| Init +6(10)| AC: 20(24) CMD: 18 F:6 R:6 W:9| Perception: +12|Active Element(Air)

"Roughly a couple of hundred pounds of mining charges ready to explode if they so much as get a bad feeling. And enough iron in the mine to make it even the shrapnel pretty nasty." Thomas confirmed. "And enough firepower between everyone that bad feelings can spread for quite away."

As he said this thomas started to glow faintly giving the impression that he was burning from within.

Changing attuned element to fire. Stance causes me to glow.


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

Nurai:
you can actually just mindspeak back to me.

-Posted with Wayfinder


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The two horsemen either side looked at each other - it was impossible to read their face beneath the helmet but they did not look happy.

Bercilak, however, simply nodded his head. "You have trapped this cave of iron? A wise precaution. One I did not think you would consider. You wish the Hunt to note ride. I can understand this. Once, long ago, I was as you are now. I have some memory of what it was like to hold such responsibilities. But you do not know what you ask, and even now, I may not grant you that knowledge. Let us simply say there are bigger things, here, than a simple Hunt. More than you can know. Yet. But...I smell on you the potential to change events set in motion when your species still thought of fire as a God."

He tilted his head to the side.

"I will ask once more - one final time - that you acknowledge my request and return my wife to me, and allow the Hunt to ride. Otherwise, you will not enjoy the results." He laughed hollowly. "Whether I ride against or away."


Inc 5 | HP: 12/22 | Melee: +2, Ranged: +5 | AC: 16 [22], Touch: 16, FF: Never | Fort: +2, Ref: +7, Will: +9 | Init: 11 | Perception: +12/+22 to Spot

Miyu stared at the fey for a moment. "Your wife assaulted us with magic and glamour when she - and we - were guests in another's home." the exorcist said quietly. "That was not an offense we were prepared to tolerate lightly... but while we could have quite readily slain her for that offense, we chose to spare her life. Indeed, she is only alive because of our care. And lest you think we wouldn't have really done it, given the kind of curse she could try to lay down..." Miyu smiled faintly. "You may have noticed that mortals are stubborn. We're not going to let fear of retribution stop us from taking down those who threaten us. It seems to me, my lord, that she owes the life she forfeit to our mercy."

"Now, I feel we both want something here. You want your wife back, and we want to prove someone's innocence. Rather than issuing an ultimatum, my lord, I think you would be better served by striking a fair trade - assistance in our quest equal in value to her life, which would be returned to you, and forswearing grudges or retribution of any kind - direct or indirect - against us for this incident. What is owed will be paid, and her offense will be forgiven."


Kayal*+ Avatar of Love + Synthesist Shadow Caller Summoner 6 | HP: 48/48 [+50/54] | AC:21 T:15 FF:17 | DR: 7/Magic, Cold+20 Elec+20 SR: 2 | CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+10(8) W:+10 | Perc:+5 | Spells: 1st: 4/5 | 2nd: 3/4

Message is a cantrip Nurai can use freely and gives the others the option to hear which suits Nurai's personality & the current situation

Nurai listened carefully to the others, flickering amusement crossing her face at at the use of the doom room as an intentional threat rather than a random find. Watching the surrounds for a few moments as she took a deep breath, mind trying to consider everything, she nodded, mostly in agreement with Miyu, as Nurai tried to remember. She sent a quick message to a family group chat and then shoved the phone deep into her pocket with a sigh. Even as her optimistic self, she could not see how this could go smoothly, but things had looked bad before. With all the big fey dude seemed to know already, laying it all out made sense to Nurai...

"It is always biggers things... it must be serious for one's beloved to get entangled in such things, I could not imagine such a burden yet. She said she would speak on these things for us and the one she set-up for the fall, he has offered to pay blood price on top of the details of this plot getting to the right ears to prevent harm to himself, Valda, and the town so she now has responsibilities as well as us. I will happily go get her as long as her responsibilities in this matter will be fulfilled..." she began, stepping towards the mine with her gaze still on the big fey.

"She is fine, at the request of the ones set-up mostly, though one of her summonings backfired - she was healed of those wounds - and a shadow person seemed to startle her. So far she has explained a few things...what she did on behest of her master...a "noble of the Hunt, Lord of Dogs and Handler of the Black Hounds" Nurai remarked, with a nod to the shadow dogs, "of strength equal to the highest in the Court who felt the Hunt had been weakened without mortal fear or bloodshed, who felt no love for this realm or its people, and knew only at this time with the seasons changing would such a plot work, and so on. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly and mutually beneficially so we and those we care for can all rest well rather than waiting for judgemental light..." she finished, shifting towards the mine while watching the big fey guy's reaction, hands in her leather jacket pockets.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Bercilak listened, considering. "Very well. If this is the course you prefer, who am I to stay your foot on this path? Return my wife to me. In return, no blood shall be called for nor price demanded. The Hunt will find other places and other prey. I will stay my hand against you - and the hand of those whose loyalty is mine to command - this night and day, until the sun is at its peak, except in the event that you do me wrong, by trickery and ill word. If my wife is not returned, whole and unharmed, then these words shall not bind me."

The two other riders shifted nervously, obviously unimpressed by this vow.


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

"That deal doesn't really get us anything we want. Try again."


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

The knight tilted his head, the visor turning to Jennifer. "You wished for the Hunt to not ride through your home. This, I agreed to. Your homes and people safe. No blood demanded, no blame placed. What more is it that you require? Know that my generosity has limits. And is contingent on my wife's return."


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

Nurai:
"I don't trust this fey. He's going to betray us, but I haven't determined how yet."

Solomon stares coldly at the fey and his dogs, his analytical mind assessing the situation constantly.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 15 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 15 + (2) = 21 Does he mean to betray us, or is this an honest deal?


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

1d20 ⇒ 14

Solomon:
As far as you can tell, he's being honest in intent. His promise doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room. The only obvious way would be to attack you with forces he doesn't control, although exactly how that would work...and the obvious way is rarely the Fey way.

He genuinely seems to think this will also be worse for you in the long run, which might be why he's willing to do this.

Or perhaps he cares enough for his wife that he's willing to forsake the plan.


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

"You said 'this night and day,' implying that at 12:01 tomorrow, nothing has changed. Plus, your wife is a little banged up, which I'm assuming you know, so that 'unharmed' condition can't be met.

"And I'm going to be honest: the no 'ill word' bit is going to be tough for me."


Female Human (Valkyrie) Warpriest 5 | HP 38/38 | AC: 25, T: 15, FF: 21 | Fort: +8, Ref: +2, Will: +8 | BAB: +3, CMB: +9, CMD: 23, M.Attack +11(1d8+10)| Init: +0 | Perception: +1 | SP: 7/12 | Fervor 0/7

Struggling to keep tracks of the words, Aurora addresses Bercilak once more. "Before we seal this bargain or not, Lord Bercilak, please allow me a question. What would be the price for us, in exchange for you telling us all of the facts about the situation? Including why the Hunt needs to ride, what would happen, shouldn't it ride, why you needed to pin it on Valda, uhm, why you seem to believe that we'd regret the Hunt not riding, and so on?"


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Still focused on Jennifer, the Fey replied, "I will not promise to never harm you. The future is uncertain, and such a price is more than you can afford to pay. My word simply seeks to assure you that I mean no treachery this night, that I will not turn my blade and my hounds on you once my wife is in my saddle once more. Or are you willing to swear undying oaths to never harm me and mine? Would you hold to such oaths, if you saw my hounds rampaging through your home? Taking those you love? I would have no choice but to lay aside my blade." He shook his head. "That, I shall not do."

Considering, he added, "Unharmed is relative. We Fey are made of stronger stuff than you mortals. No poisons, or cold iron in her veins. No wound that she shall perish from. If she will not recover from what has been done..." The charger pawed the ground. "Then this night will end in blood."

"As for 'ill word', I am well aware you hold a low opinion of me. I care not. Speak no falsehood, and we shall have no issues." The Knight laughed mirthlessly. "I assume even such a tainted soul as yours knows still how to speak truths?"

Turning his attention to Auroura, he replied, "In short, my life. That would be the price paid for such information, of such value, being given. You show respect, and skill to have subdued my spouse, so let me be as straight as I may - even I know not all of what you have asked. I am but a captain of the Hunt, a minor noble of the Courts. Such plans and motions, I catch only glimpses of. I know that by slaking the thirst of the Hunt here, in this place, another thirst will be satisfied. I know that stopping the Hunt, it will stir and grow strong. I know my kind consider its slumber worth the effort of this deceit...but not enough to ride regardless." He shrugged, a metallic clank. "There are things far less caring for mortalkind than we Fey. That is all I may say."


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

"There's no such thing as truth," Jennifer mumbles in answer to Bercilak's question, but she let's the conversation move over to him and Aurora. After the fey knight says his piece to her, she addresses the others.

"He's not giving us anything we need. A few hours of not having to knock heads with these jokers in return for losing the only leverage we have to diverting the Hunt? This isn't a beneficial deal to us. He can't even give us the information we want, which is, like, a classic bargaining tactic in this sort of situation."


Inc 5 | HP: 12/22 | Melee: +2, Ranged: +5 | AC: 16 [22], Touch: 16, FF: Never | Fort: +2, Ref: +7, Will: +9 | Init: 11 | Perception: +12/+22 to Spot

Miyu - who'd suggested this particular bargain in the first place, glanced at the others. "Probably best to accept it and not push too much." she advised. "I'll throw in a charm of recovery for your wife - it's not a grand, complete healing or anything, but she will feel better after a night's rest than she would otherwise."


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Acceptable," the armoured figure replied with a nod.

Looking at Jennifer, he replied, "The Hunt will not ride this time, not on your lands. Perhaps not on this world. What more is it that you crave?"


Female Human (Valkyrie) Warpriest 5 | HP 38/38 | AC: 25, T: 15, FF: 21 | Fort: +8, Ref: +2, Will: +8 | BAB: +3, CMB: +9, CMD: 23, M.Attack +11(1d8+10)| Init: +0 | Perception: +1 | SP: 7/12 | Fervor 0/7

I crave an aspirin, right now.

"Uhm, Jen, this is likely the best offer we're going to get from a fae." After whispering to Jennifer, Aurora leans closer to Miyu. "You said you were a fortune-teller of sorts, right? Can you see anything about what will happen if the Hunt doesn't run tonight?"


Kayal*+ Avatar of Love + Synthesist Shadow Caller Summoner 6 | HP: 48/48 [+50/54] | AC:21 T:15 FF:17 | DR: 7/Magic, Cold+20 Elec+20 SR: 2 | CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+10(8) W:+10 | Perc:+5 | Spells: 1st: 4/5 | 2nd: 3/4

Nurai was pleasantly surprised at the first acceptance and nodded, obviously shifting back further to go...and then paused as she tried to listen, becoming a bit confused and overwhelmed as the semantics battle seemed to take place around her. Possibly for the best with how these things work but Nurai wanted it done quickly.

Solomon:
"Nothing is simple & there are likely other schemes, but I think this is the best we will get - and I'd rather get Carm off of our hands before something else can be thrown into this situation...

Nurai agreed with Aurora, "I think that will do, what is done elsewhere from us and ours is not an issue for me & you can't make promises for others. I will inform Valda and the one who offered the blood price while your wife is gotten. Once she is out of the mine, and is given the charm, what happens between her and you is between the two of you...the deal stands as long as she is well as you and we have said and we can all leave this behind us." Nurai said, wanting to be clear that if Carm did not want go with tall and not-as-leafy, that was not an acceptable loophole - this avatar of love was not going to try relationship patching for strangers, let alone fey strangers happy with this kind of bloodshed, unlike certain myths her abilities did not work that way.

Nurai pulled her phone out, she messaged the information while she headed back to the mines. Once far enough inside that the people at the entrance were unclear, Nurai paused and finished sending. Putting her phone way, she muttered to herself and seemed to pull a large black wolf out of shadows on the wall. The shadow creature seemed overly excited for a few moments, and the summoner chuckled as she talked to the wolf in Kazakh, glancing occasionally towards the entrance. The shadow wolf soon began looking at the entrance as if on guard.

Perception - Nurai: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Perception - Wolf: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27+ scent


Human (Haunted One) HP 50/50| Init +6(10)| AC: 20(24) CMD: 18 F:6 R:6 W:9| Perception: +12|Active Element(Air)

Thomas remained patient as negotiations took place. Inwardly he admitted the pedanticness of it all was getting on his nerves.


Inc 5 | HP: 12/22 | Melee: +2, Ranged: +5 | AC: 16 [22], Touch: 16, FF: Never | Fort: +2, Ref: +7, Will: +9 | Init: 11 | Perception: +12/+22 to Spot

As she waited for the fey to get out, Miyu held out an ofuda and focused. "You can watch, if you want, to make sure I'm not trying to sneak in anything that would break my word." she told the fey as the celestial script began to appear on her talisman.

Assuming said fey is brought out, Miyu will set a Charm of Recovery talisman on her back. Should it be relevant, she'd gain her Con Modifier + 9 HP over the next eight hours she rests.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Nurai was able to return the Fae to the Entrance without any major mishaps or explosions. Miyu slipped the healing charm onto the battered Fey, who stared back coldly.

Once freed she stepped out towards the massive horse and its rider, and knelt before him. The armoured figure swung his leg off and slid to the ground before holding out his hand. "Rise, Wife, and take your position once more in our court and our home."

Carmilla remained kneeling. "Husband, I have failed in the tasks given us. I belong here, among the lowest of the low, spurned and removed."

"Nay, Wife." With surprising gentleness the knight knelt, the armour on his hand vanished and pale skin touching Carmilla's face. "This outcome was foreseen as possible and prepared for. Nor, I think, are these mortals quite so low. Rise now, and take your station."

Smiling slightly, Carmilla took her husband's hand and rose. Her tattered dress changed, flowed into and evening gown of white, dainty slippers and cloves of the same pale material covering her as well, and the dye that had turned her hair dark flowed out, revealing pale blonde locks of hair.

Helping Carmilla to mount the massive horse, Bercilak turned. "I feel we shall meet again, in another time and a better place. As enemy, ally or something else, I know not - but I look forward to such adventures none the less. It is such as you that keeps the Fey's gaze on this world, and you have certainly earned this reprieve. Hail, and well met."

Mounting once more, the Green Knight of Arthurian legend turned and rode into the shadows, his wife behind him. Turning, she smiled at you all...and the sharp canine teeth reminded you of just what she was. The two other knights nodded, and turned. And the dog pack slinked away, melting like a drop of oil into the well.

---

The Hunt did note ride through Fever that year. If it rode at all it was distant enough that no word reached your ears of it. The New Year came and went without incident, and if anything good fortune seemed to smile on the town. A mine, previously thought barren, turned out to be near another great vein of silver, and the jobs it created were enough to soothe many a troubled household.

Despite Valda's best efforts, she wasn't unable to find out much. Without Carmilla to use as a bargaining chip the Fey kept quiet. But it was better the woman went back than the town be devestated by destruction, and what little Valda was able to learn suggested that the Hunt planned for Fever would have been the biggest the mortal world had seen since the dark ages. One rumour even suggested the King and Queen would have joined.

She was also able to find out something else - the Fey Courts were gearing up for war. Knights were being roused from ancient holds and weapons forged anew. But most of the Fey themselves were clueless as to what they were to fight.

Jared vanished before the year was out. Now that his real identity had been discovered he had no wish to see if anyone would take offence, and moved on to greener pastuers. But a quick search of the town records suggested he'd be back. The house had not changed owners since it was built, two hundreds years before, with the exception of a son inheriting it from the first owner, his mother.

But there is rarely a rest for the wicked, and stranger things lurked in the world...and Fever dreamed on

End of Part One


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Part Two - Ancient Secrets

If there is one things that can be said for victorian architecture, it is that it was built to last. The house had been sitting there for a 150 years or so, and other than the vines creeping across much of the ancient old stonework it is surprisingly intact. The roof is still complete, from what you can see, and the ever present vandals in even a small town apparently struggled to find this house down it's winding, twisting drive. Although only twenty minutes from Fever by road, and probably the same directly through the forest. Even the glass is intact in most of the windows.

The gravel is full of weeds, however, and the garden, once immaculately kept, is now wildly overgrown. A small fortress fo what might, 80 years ago, have been a rose bush rose to one side of the house like a thorny redoubt of the forest, but the woods themselves have been cleared for a good quarter mile in every direction. A stream or brook can be heard bubbling somewhere.

Stretching as she got off the motorbike she'd driven in, Valda looked around, the sun glinting off the almost goggle-like shaded sunglasses she was wearing. "You know, I think I may have over-thought this. This has got to be the least threatening haunted house ever. I mean, you can't imagine someone getting possessed in this place, crawling on the ceiling and having their head spin around. It's like, mild poltergeisting at most. The odd thrown Steven King book in protest of his inability to write a decent ending." She shook her head. "Stories say there's more to it, though...so stay on your guard. There other things that ghosts out there."


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

"And who is it that cares about these 'other things,' again? Or is it just you?" Jennifer says as she holds one hand up to shade her eyes as she studies the old house.


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

Solomon's hand rested on the door frame of his BMW as he leaned in and rifled through the center console. He popped the trunk before standing up straight and shutting the door and heading around behind. He'd eschewed his jacket and slacks, instead wearing thick cotton-blend pants with his typical crisp, white button-up shirt. A worn, brown leather bandoleer lay draped across his torso, clipped at the waist to a similar belt. Heavy boots ground into the gravel as he paced to the trunk and produced his trademark handcase. A .380 went into a holster on his hip before the trunk slammed closed. A click of the keychain and a beep from the car indicated that it was now locked and Solomon's business with it concluded. He sipped through the plastic lid on a paper cup he held and surveyed the scene as he slowly strolled up next to Valda.

"I'm sure there's nothing to it. People love a good haunting tale. They're almost never true." Solomon assessed, taking another sip. His glasses were conspicuously absent, replaced by contacts for the task at hand. He switched the coffee cup to his other hand and patted the pistol on his hip. "But no harm in being prepared." He added with a slight smile.


Female Human (Valkyrie) Warpriest 5 | HP 38/38 | AC: 25, T: 15, FF: 21 | Fort: +8, Ref: +2, Will: +8 | BAB: +3, CMB: +9, CMD: 23, M.Attack +11(1d8+10)| Init: +0 | Perception: +1 | SP: 7/12 | Fervor 0/7

"Hey, poor Stephen King." Aurora stretched, getting out of the hitched ride and basking in the sunlight. "He's got his ups and downs, but he's given us much. Dark Tower? Carrie?"
Her raven perched over her shoulder, she looked at the building. "Nice place, though. Properly cleaned up, it would make a heck of a party location. So, we hunting? Want me to go first?"


Ether 5 | HP: 22/22 (R:2) | EP: 19/19 (R:3) | AC: 16, T: 14, FF: 13 | Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +6 | R. Touch: +8 (Dmg: 5d3+6) | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Perception: +9, Init: +3

"Ghosts, huh?" Regina asked, looking curiously at the building in front of them. She'd joined the group here at Valda's request, given that she had a rather... specific... kind of talent. (Apparently, their mutual friend Miyu had been hired for a big case somewhere and hadn't been able to free up the time, so she'd referred Regina instead as, directly quoted, "your own personal flamethrower".)

"Well, I can blast anything that tries to bother us." she said, shrugging slightly. "Feel free to go first, though." she added to Aurora. Regina wasn't exactly easy to kill, but she wasn't that good at avoiding blows, either. Better to have someone else holding trouble back while she threw ether at its face.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

"Me, mostly" Valda admitted to Jennifer's comment. "But I don't like the fact someone delivered me a key. See, when you get the key to a little house in the woods, you get a little weirded out." She looked at the place. "It does seem kinda nice, though. Weird."

"And yeah, I loved the Dark Tower...but when you have to put a warning before your ending not to read it, you have a bad ending. Carrie's OK though." Moving to the door, she pulled out a big iron key, and popped it in the lock. It opened smoothly, without resistance. Valda made a face of surprise and opened the door, allowing it to swing inwards almost silently.

Beyond was a...corridor. A door led off to the north and south, and the corridor split at the end. Polished wood gleamed in the sunlight, and tasteful watercolours hung on the walls. "Huh. Yeah, Aurora, you better get first. I do not trust watercolour paintings. I'm an oil lady myself." Valda shook her head. "Weird place," she muttered.

Green Grove House map.


Ether 5 | HP: 22/22 (R:2) | EP: 19/19 (R:3) | AC: 16, T: 14, FF: 13 | Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +6 | R. Touch: +8 (Dmg: 5d3+6) | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Perception: +9, Init: +3

Regina calmly followed Aurora into the building, looking around curiously as she did so.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

"Hmm... they say fire's good for purifying..." she noted as little burst of flame flickered around her fingertips, "But it'd probably be bad if we burned the whole place down on accident. Electricity, maybe?" the fire changed into visible bolts that crackled a bit. She wasn't totally sure what would work on ghosts - they were said to be pretty hard to hurt to begin with - but she was relatively certain that something she could do would affect them.


Kayal*+ Avatar of Love + Synthesist Shadow Caller Summoner 6 | HP: 48/48 [+50/54] | AC:21 T:15 FF:17 | DR: 7/Magic, Cold+20 Elec+20 SR: 2 | CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+10(8) W:+10 | Perc:+5 | Spells: 1st: 4/5 | 2nd: 3/4

Nurai's motorcycle was parked off to one side and after locking up her helmet and things, she walked around quietly considering the place while listening. It did looks like not much to be bothered about but looks could be deceiving.

Watching Valda open the door, Nurai headed to follow the others in. "Would you prefer I request one who can scout out the place faster with better senses, one that would light up the situation and warn us of magic, or my usual extra pair of eyes and hands and snark?" she said as she pushed the aviator sunglasses back up her nose, looking to Valda and then to the others. Nurai's first go-to would be her shadow, but weird, possibly haunted houses weren't her usual go-to hangouts and this was Valda's request so...

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Female Human (Valkyrie) Warpriest 5 | HP 38/38 | AC: 25, T: 15, FF: 21 | Fort: +8, Ref: +2, Will: +8 | BAB: +3, CMB: +9, CMD: 23, M.Attack +11(1d8+10)| Init: +0 | Perception: +1 | SP: 7/12 | Fervor 0/7

"Scouting for magic sounds like a wise choice" says Aurora, checking out the watercolour paintings before approaching the closest door. "What can we expect from the haunting? Did anyone report some specific weirdness?"
She summons her spear to her hand and cautiously opens the door with the tip.


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

Solomon rolls his eyes at Aurora as she brandishes her weapon against the decor. "You're going to absolutely ruin the charm of this place."


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

"Eh, better a scratch in the varnish that my fabulous ass." Valda shook her head. "Electric sounds like a good idea, Miss Regina. And let's go for one that can sport magic, Nurai. Magic is as likely an explanation for rumours about spookies as actual ghostly activity. If we see any hint of danger you can switch to shadow-snark." Glancing into the room over Auoura's shoulder, she added, "But you'll be pleased to hear that all background checks revealed no mention of any kind of burial ground in this location, though, so that's a plus."

Inside the room a table with several chairs sits in the middle of the room, sunlight from the large windows to the front of the house illuminating the shelves of tea sets and other china. A quilted table sits on the table itself, and a variet of suboards, side boards and a chest beneath the bay windows.

Valda raised an eyebrow. "I think this is a parlour."

Perception (DC 20):
There's no dust, not one speck that you can see. Everything is clean and as neat as if someone had polished it that morning.


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Kayal*+ Avatar of Love + Synthesist Shadow Caller Summoner 6 | HP: 48/48 [+50/54] | AC:21 T:15 FF:17 | DR: 7/Magic, Cold+20 Elec+20 SR: 2 | CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+10(8) W:+10 | Perc:+5 | Spells: 1st: 4/5 | 2nd: 3/4

Nurai smiled, chuckling slightly and used her great willpower to avoiding making any obvious comments about Valda's butt.

"And a very nice parlour." Nurai said with a smile, moving away from the windows to a suitably dark corner, held out a hand and started talking quietly in Kazakh at first before switching to Aklo smoothly mid-phrase.

A tiny creature seemed to form and then hop out of the shadows, a mole-like nose twitching, a rat-like tail and simian arms and legs quickly clinging to the summoner. When the creature opened their eyes, the glow from them beamed out, brightening where they looked like normal daylight. Nurai looked over at where the cones of light hit as if half expecting a reaction as she gently pet the creature as they sat on her arm.

Nurai glanced over to Valda, "A zoog as requested, bonus of these little ones is they can bite the incorporeal. Tested that legend personally. Haven't tested the stories about felines..." Nurai said with a mischievous tone before she returned to quietly talking to the zoog in Aklo in a soothing firm tone much like one would talk to a baby animal - or at least a baby animal one is confident is under their control but still wanted to placate them just to be on the safe side.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Zoog is using Spell Sight. Everything in a 15 foot cone from Nurai and the zoog is in normal light with the space up to 15 feet beyond that up one light level from where it was. Magic will glow faintly.


Ether 5 | HP: 22/22 (R:2) | EP: 19/19 (R:3) | AC: 16, T: 14, FF: 13 | Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +6 | R. Touch: +8 (Dmg: 5d3+6) | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Perception: +9, Init: +3

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Regina glanced over the room. "Huh. It's clean." she noted, glancing over to the rest of the group. "So, either some kind of regular magical effect, or someone's been living here." she frowned slightly. "...We're sure there's no currently registered owner, right? We're not, uh, just breaking and entering?"


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

Solomon's eyes narrowed as the one Valda called Regina pointed out the subtle fact that the house seemed to be immaculate. "Hmm..." He crossed his arms and tapped his chin idly. "As much as I'd love to credit an ionized air filter or hermetic sealing, this certainly does point more towards recent inhabitance. Perhaps whoever gave you the key, Valda, had only recently moved out themselves."
Although he offered the most rational, natural explanation, Solomon's expression of concern indicated that he likely doubted his own hypothesis.


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

"Well, let's check out the kitchen and bathrooms. If it's a real person, those are likely to show some signs of someone living here."


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

"I was told it was abandoned in the thirties," Valda said slowly, "But if this place was abandoned then we've gone back in time." She pulled out her phone and checked. "No, apparently we're still in 2017, and it's still as much a horror show as ever. Good. I hate time travel episodes. I did not want to end up being my own Grandma, and I could not keep my mouth shut enough for 1930's America." After a moment, she added, "Or 1930's anywhere, really. But I don't think you can break and enter if you have the key and the deed."

Considering, Valda added, "But if you do hear sirens, run." She watched the zoog's light for a minute, before shaking her head. "Either it's non-magical parlour or all the Swords of Smiting are stashed away for now. Little Nippy will be helpful if there are any spooks, though, so nice choice Nurai."

With nothing obviously exciting in the room, Valda moved over to the next door, and cracked it open. "Still dust free, and lets see...looks like some kind of living room?" Indeed, the room was full of less formal looking seating, couches and thick, heavy chairs. A billiard table in the middle, the game already set up, and a small bar sat against one wall. Two doors lead out of the room, one going west and one to the north. The one to the north was mostly glass, and an overgrown scene of green could be seen through it.


Female Human (Valkyrie) Warpriest 5 | HP 38/38 | AC: 25, T: 15, FF: 21 | Fort: +8, Ref: +2, Will: +8 | BAB: +3, CMB: +9, CMD: 23, M.Attack +11(1d8+10)| Init: +0 | Perception: +1 | SP: 7/12 | Fervor 0/7

"Well, if it's a housekeeping spirit of sorts, I want one in my room."
Whistling the Doctor Who theme, she checks out the leaving room before approaching the west-facing door. "A bit disappointing, though. I was hoping for an old, wild, overgrown place fit for metal power ballads, this looks like an aunt's home."


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

"Don't be so sour, Aurora." Solomon says, strolling around the living room. "I think I could summer here quite comfortably. Miss Simmons, would you consider a seasonal lease?" He asks, half-jokingly. He taps his fingers on the leather of his hip holster as he subconsciously concludes he has come over-prepared.


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

"Place has seven bedrooms, apparently. You guys can houseshare, if you like." Valda shrugged. "You ever been to my place? It's a place of madness and excess. Old warehouse I converted so I could work on various magical doodads and toys. This isn't quite my thing."

As Auoura opened the door, Valda glanced in. "This, however, is good. Shall we go with 'study'?"

Indeed, in keeping with the almost TV-like portrayal of such rooms, the walls were lined with shelf after shelf of books, all neatly arrayed with only a handful of missing volumes, most of which seemed to have been iled on the vast walnut desk. Again, the furniture was plush, comfy looking wood and red leather. Another door to the West was this rooms only exit, unless one wanted to head out a window.


Ether 5 | HP: 22/22 (R:2) | EP: 19/19 (R:3) | AC: 16, T: 14, FF: 13 | Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +6 | R. Touch: +8 (Dmg: 5d3+6) | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Perception: +9, Init: +3

Regina stayed behind the others, but looked curiously around the room, eventually picking the books up and, if nothing happened, aiming to put them back where they belonged. Spirits usually liked it if things were respected and tidied up, didn't they? Maybe? ...Hopefully...


Kayal*+ Avatar of Love + Synthesist Shadow Caller Summoner 6 | HP: 48/48 [+50/54] | AC:21 T:15 FF:17 | DR: 7/Magic, Cold+20 Elec+20 SR: 2 | CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+10(8) W:+10 | Perc:+5 | Spells: 1st: 4/5 | 2nd: 3/4

The zoog seemed to by playing around in Nurai's hands, climbing around and dangling from her fingers, jumping from hand to hand, while looking around the rooms curiously. Nurai seemed to indulge the tiny creature, glancing around between catches. "Let's see about these ghost stories first before we start making plans, not that any of the houses I've shared haven't had oddities... " Nurai said with a chuckle as she and the zoog moved into the study.

"This place reminds me of Mama Sezim's clinic..." Nurai said fondly as she looked around, drawn towards the books...

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


AC 17 (t 12, ff 17) -2 bloodrage, -1 enlarged | F+9, R+4, W+7/9 | Init +4, Per +10 HP: 44/56 (+8 when raging) | Bloodrage: 9/18

After looking curiously at the books on the shelves, Jennifer turns and catches up with Valda.

"So, can we consider the nuclear option, here? If it turns out this house is built on top of an old, Native American burial ground and full of vengeful, bloodthirsty poltergeists, can we just clear out the library and torch the place? Or are you hoping to develop the real estate?"


GM of all he Surveys - Still sick, but in a different way

Nurai:
Most of the books are paranormal related, folk tales, and things of the like. None are actually magical in nature, however.

"Nah, I told you, we already looked into that. Not so much as a pet cemetery." Valda replied. "But if it's evil, we can burn it. I have enough money."

Considering, she added, "Nurai's right, though. As long as it's only mild haunting - maybe someone who rearranges the books to their own system, or watched too much anime in life and now steals underwear - I can probably charge more.

She watched as Regina put the books back, and waited. Nothing seemed to happen. [b]"Damn. Panty thief ghost it is."

She headed to the next door and looked through. "Oh, mama like."

Beyond the door is shelves upon shelves of books, the smell of paper and leather strong. Tables with lamps and chairs for reading are dotted around. The room is two levels talls, with a balcony around the edge. It's impossible to see more of the room, however, without entering - the view is blocked by the shelves.


Human Investigator 6 | HP: 51/51 | AC: 19, T: 13, FF: 15 | Fort: +5, Ref: +8, Will: +10 {+1/+2/+7} | Melee: +4, Ranged: +6 | CMB: +4, CMD: 17 | Init: +2, Perception: +12 <trap spotter> | Insp 9/9 | SP 12/12 | Speed: 30ft

"Jennifer!" Solomon replied in shock. Valda indulged her however, and he eyed them both, shaking his head. "Absolutely criminal."

In the room beyond, Solomon suddenly became oblivious to all else as he observed the impressive--and well-preserved--library. He walked in slowly, full of marvel and intellectual greed. "Now this is a find."


Kayal*+ Avatar of Love + Synthesist Shadow Caller Summoner 6 | HP: 48/48 [+50/54] | AC:21 T:15 FF:17 | DR: 7/Magic, Cold+20 Elec+20 SR: 2 | CMD:20 | F:+8 R:+10(8) W:+10 | Perc:+5 | Spells: 1st: 4/5 | 2nd: 3/4

Nurai smiled at Doctor Solomon's shock, shrugging with a nod as if to say that while she so far agreed it would be a pity, the summoner had long noticed that many who got involved in bizarre stuff long enough were happy for 'kill it all with fire' to always be one of options available.

Nurai turned her attention back to Valda "Just remember that people who go for weird secluded houses tend to be weird too... you could end up with people like ეთერი and her wind-clad friends..." Nurai laughed as she followed the others into the room of books. She and the zoog looked around impressed as Nurai, checking out the books as she made her way through the room. "The... study was filled with folklore and paranormal books, so I would guess maybe the books are sorted by topics..." she said as she held the zoog up slightly...

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17


Ether 5 | HP: 22/22 (R:2) | EP: 19/19 (R:3) | AC: 16, T: 14, FF: 13 | Fort: +2, Ref: +5, Will: +6 | R. Touch: +8 (Dmg: 5d3+6) | CMB: +2, CMD: 16 | Perception: +9, Init: +3

Regina checked, just to be sure, as the others investigated the room. She let them go first, though. Not that she was too worried about permanent harm - she had a benefit there - but because she hated getting hurt and was quite willing to let someone tougher take point. She'd been paid for support work, after all. "A study room, books about the paranormal, house was haunted... think they were trying to get something to show up?" It was all she could come up with at the moment.

401 to 450 of 2,943 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Fevered Dreams All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.