Dungeon Master S's "Skull & Shackles"

Game Master Chris Marsh

TACTICAL MAP |STRATEGIC MAPS | The Shackles
HANDOUTS | MAP TEMPLATES
CAMPAIGN RECORDS | DRAMATIS PERSONAE | Ports of Call

The Fleet

Current Date: Calendar

Initiative:

[dice=Foes]d20[/dice]
[dice=Kiltem]d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Ko]d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Arthur]d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Lucky]d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Slappy]d20+2[/dice]

Skill Quickpost:

Perception
[dice=Kiltem]d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Ko]d20+8[/dice]
[dice=Arthur]d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Lucky]d20+9[/dice] +2 on water terrain
[dice=Slappy]d20+8[/dice]

Stealth
[dice=Kiltem]d20-2[/dice]
[dice=Ko]d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Arthur]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Lucky]d20+11[/dice]
[dice=Slappy]d20+8[/dice]

Sense Motive:
[dice=Kiltem]d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Ko]d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Arthur]d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Lucky]d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Slappy]d20+4[/dice]

Profession (Sailor)
Kiltem: [dice]d20+7[/dice]
Ko: [dice]d20+6[/dice]
Arthur: [dice]d20+5[/dice]
Lucky: [dice]d20+4[/dice]
Slappy: NA


2,451 to 2,500 of 2,664 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Only one of the necklaces is magical, and the aura is beyond Slappy currently.

Poking around Art determines that:
1. This must be their lair based on the amount of food scraps and sloughed scales.
2. The ship isn't even close to salvageable.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

The druid dreads it somewhat because he knows he isn't very good at it, yet he knows there is only one way to get better. He assists the cunning gnome in spellcraft. He handles the necklace and tries to feel something. Please Papa Storm, show me something...

Spellcraft 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

any possibility the +2 pushes Slappy over the edge?


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

I don't think you can normally aid in spellcraft...but I may be wrong

Art looks about. We're done here. Let's gather the loot. Good work everyone.

as they get back to the ship, Art is pensive in the longboat. The officers get back on board the ship. The captain pauses for a moment, then addresses the crew in a loud voice.

Your officers just walked into a trap, sprung it...and utterly destroyed the monsters within. I am...pleased.

After another beat, he shouts PIRANHA! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION???


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

I'll give it to you. The two put their heads together, and given what they saw when the thing tried to bite Ko.... it's something called an Amulet of Mighty Fists +1!

-----------

The travel to Ngozu is easy after that. It feels good to be in port. Looking around, it's obvious that no one has ever heard of the Pirhana or her crew!

Knowledge (Local) DC 17:

The picturesque port of Ngozu sits on the long cove that gave the island its name. While the port coolly tolerates non-Mwangi ships, their crews had best behave themselves while in town. Ngozu’s rules are strict for nonnatives, whom the locals refer to as ben kudu (“lost ones”). Most infractions of the laws involve a “blood price”— punishment that demands the shedding of the offender’s blood. Ben kudu leaving the docks and entering the town proper travel a boardwalk lined with wooden posts, from which jut the right hands of outsiders (some skeletal, some rotting, and some distressingly fresh) who broke a rule for ben kudu. Perhaps the most disconcerting thing for visitors is the fact that rules for non-Mwangi don’t seem to be posted anywhere in Ngozu, and it is only through hearsay that visitors know exactly which manners are appropriate and which are deemed utterly irreparable while within the port town.

What now pirates? I recommend looking at the mechanics for infamy and plunder! If you want to try selling plunder at some other stop, that's fine too. Will update the PORT OF CALL tomorrow.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

Posting know local checks for the 3 who have ranks

Knowledge Local
Lucky 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Slappy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Ko 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


male Human Rogue 8 HPs 71/60, AC 20, FF13 Touch17), Init +6, (fort +4, ref +13, wil +4), Trap Spotter +18
Dungeon Master S wrote:

I'll give it to you. The two put their heads together, and given what they saw when the thing tried to bite Ko.... it's something called an Amulet of Mighty Fists +1!

The druid shows some surprise over the magical amulet when he realizes what it can do. Kiltem would very much like to have it. As he is using weapons less and less this would bolster his ability in combat.

The druid removes his Amulet of Natural Armor +1 and offers it to one of the other group members for the new magical necklace.


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

Art steps forward. I'll cast lots with one of ye for Kiltem's old amulet.

I think I'll have time to check the rules today, so I'll try!


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Ports of Call are updated. Feel free to do something while here, or head to a new adventure.


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

Art hears about the dangers of the port with a frown. Everyone stay on board until I say otherwise. Ko, you're with me, if you please.

He then jumps onto the dock, seeking someone local to speak to.

First determining if the person speaks Taldane, Art then tries to get some initial information.

Greetings! I'm captain of this ship and its crew. We're new here, but we understand that this port has some strict rules. We lowly ben kudu wish nothing more than to get along, and if you could point me in the right direction of a guide, or a local official I could speak to, I would be most grateful!

diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

My goal here is to get enough knowledge about how to avoid trouble that I'm OK letting the crew off the ship for a day or so. This way, only Ko & I can get into danger at first, and I'm OK with that. I figure that it's best not to be alone, and Ko's ethnicity won't hurt any...


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

+1 insight bonus for using the proper term. The locals give a nod, and while they aren't exactly warm, they seem welcoming enough. Art and Ko give the nod for the crew to unload.

Kiltem asks about a place to learn about the area, and it's immediately obvious that there's no library....

Normal infamy check rules apply, you've got to stay the night. Finding out about Warvil’s Folly is a Diplomacy (Gather Information) check.


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

Before the crew debarks, Art addresses them.

LISTEN UP you louts!! They do NOT kid around with us foreigners in this place. you keep your heads down, and comport yourselves with a shred of dignity. You will not only stay out of trouble, you are explicitly ordered to ACTIVELY AVOID TROUBLE. I don't want any of my crew to come back short any more body parts then they already are, savvy??

Let's sell our loot, do some Gather Info, and spread our infamy!! (see Slack)


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

Kiltem takes his duties as Master of Arms seriously (at least most of the time). He sets up the watch of the men who will be staying on ship , encouraging them to stay sharp and keep a safe place for the crew to retreat back to if need be.

While the druid isn't much use directly for Gathering Info and spreading tales of their infamy he does tag along w/ Lucky "to make sure the lad stays safe". Kiltem lets the rogue do all the talking while he keeps at an eye on things.

Active Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

The gnome tags along with the KKC and now S away party. He changes his normal routine, and changes his act that makes Ko chuckle and seem impressed.

Intimidate for Infamy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33
Aid Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

The bards song and story telling are a success, but the attempts of diplomacy fall short probably because of his small stature.


Male Bekyar Mwangi (Human) Slayer (Vanguard) 4, HP 42 (23), AC 17 (T12,FF15), Init +4, Per +9, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2, CMD 20

Ko socializes with the locals, getting to know them a bit and trying to find out about Warvil's Folly as discretely as possible.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

Art sees that Slappy has their intro covered, so only pipes in when helpful aid, can’t fail:add +2to an already great result

He also helps Ko get some info out of the locals aid Diplo, can’t fail:+2 to ko’s result


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Infamy is a full day job, so you can't aid that check AND do something else.
Slappy does great, even amazing, work. Word quickly spreads around the locals. They're not accustomed to bold proclamations from outsiders, but Slappy strikes a perfect note. The party's reputation grows. The Pirates earn 2 Points of Infamy

Ko, Art, and Lucky find some interesting information. The remote island is supposedly home to a large buried treasure. The isle is a fertile jungle paradise with a freshwater spring feeding a small river that curves its way around the island before flowing over a waterfall and into a large central lagoon.

Much of the island’s coastline consists of rocky cliffs; the easiest landings are a sandy beach on the western shore and a pebbled strand on the eastern side of the lagoon. Two small groups of natives—a tribe of lizardfolk and a tribe of keches—have warred for control of the island for generations. Two centuries ago, the island was also the site of a church built by Abadaran missionaries. The missionaries wished to bring “true civilization” to the Shackles, and selected this small island as their base of operations in order to “civilize” the keches and lizardfolk. The Abadarans believed this would prove the benefits of civilized trade and law and allow them to spread their mission to other so-called “primitive” groups in the region. However, the lizardfolk and keches were angered by the Abadarans’ arrogance and seizure of their land, and the cost of maintaining a force large enough to keep the church safe proved prohibitive. In time, the Abadarans abandoned the church and moved their efforts to Sargava.

Supposedly a pirate ship weighing heavy with treasure crashed there a few years back. The captain and crew survived the weather, the locals, and the terrain. When they were rescued, the survivors opted to bury the treasure and leave it there until they could return. The return never happened, as the captain got himself killed...

To those who know of the crash, the treasure has been a tempting target...


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

you made the correct call for me--i'd have gone with the research & trusted Slappy to work his magic

I know of lizard people, but what of these "keches?" What manner of creature is this? I'm guessing some sort of intelligent creature, like a lizard man or boggart?

After discussing with the rest of the officers & celebrating Slappy's successes, Art speaks up. This sounds like something we could do, boys. I say we unload our current loot, resupply what we need (maybe I can find another pistol here??), and head toward the island to scout it out. Maybe even take another look at the map, and see if there's any clue as to where the treasure is buried?


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Kech:

Knowledge (Local) DC 19:

Not quite man nor ape, the kech is a hairless primate that dwells in the deepest jungles. There they live in sizable tribes, relying upon their uncanny coloration and skill with bows to hunt prey. The green-and-brown camouflage coloration of a kech’s flesh shifts and adapts to all surroundings to aid in stealth, but works particularly well in forests or jungles. This, combined with its uncanny ability to move through any terrain and leave no trace of its passage, makes the kech a masterful ambush hunter. A kech is 6 feet tall and weighs 240 pounds.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

Lucky has Know Local 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31

And fills the party in on knowledge.


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

Does Kiltem know what language each tribe speaks? The best way to communicate, or customary gifts / special customs?


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Ketch have their own unique tongue. The kech are also cruel to the core, and are likely to be violent no matter what.

Lizardfolk speak a basic version of the Draconic tongue. It's safe to assume that food and hand crafted jewelry can help mollify them.


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

So, do any of us speak Draconic? Slappy's idea of befriending the lizard folk is a solid one. I propose we use some of our plunder to trade here for items the 'Folk would appreciate maybe use 1 point of plunder for that? Or y'al think that's too much? Any other thoughts?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)
Arthur Cantor Delgado wrote:
So, do any of us speak Draconic? Slappy's idea of befriending the lizard folk is a solid one. I propose we use some of our plunder to trade here for items the 'Folk would appreciate maybe use 1 point of plunder for that? Or y'al think that's too much? Any other thoughts?

We also have 3 platinum necklaces from our last encounter? Though if we are talking about an entire village/tribe than 1 plunder is probably about right. Maybe 1 plunder and some platinum necklaces a personal gift for chieftains


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

Yes Captain, I think that is our angle. We can befriend the Lizardfolk for some protection and guides. I would be careful with the platinum necklaces Kiltem. You did say handmade jewelry. So maybe pookashell necklaces would suffice. We need to see if Rosie, or any of the crew like making jewelry.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

Kiltem didnt say anything. It was Lucky with Knowledge Local.

The burly druid furrows his brow in displeasure. He doesnt like the idea of giving cheap crap as gifts. The platinum is valuable and would be a worthy gift. Lizardmen may well be savages but they arent stupid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

Art looks carefully at everyone's character sheet. Hmm...no one speaks Draconic. Looks like I'll be learning a new language soon! But for now, maybe we can pick up a scroll of Comprehend Languages? All we need is to quickly communicate with the Lizard folk that we have gifts, and our intention is peaceful & does not harm them in any way. Let's look around for 2 scrolls

If Kiltem voices his opinions about gifts...It's all in the point of view, isn't it? I mean, you give the average pirate a magic wand and he will pick his ear with it--before discarding it in favor of a pretty silver earring! If we come to them with enough items for their tribe, things they may enjoy but not have easy access to--like jewelry & maybe some clothing--that will probably be enough, no?

I like the idea of
- using 1 point of our newly gotten plunder to gift to the lizard folk (either trading for stuff here at port, or rifling through what we've got & picking out what's appropriate--either way, works out the same)
-reserving at least 1-2 of the new necklaces for the chief & other higher-ups. We could simply not sell any of them right now, and if we have any left, great.
-I don't think more than 2 CL scrolls are necessary (can anyone actually cast them? Or do we need to find potions?)
Agreed?


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

Sorry Kiltem, Slappy wasn’t saying go cheap on them, just that it says handmade jewelry, if the platinum garners more favor then I’m all for it.

Slappy has a UMD of +10 which should be an auto success for a wack-a-mole wand of CLW, and I have no problem using it out of combat.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)
Slappy Wundershart wrote:


Slappy has a UMD of +10 which should be an auto success for a wack-a-mole wand of CLW, and I have no problem using it out of combat.

Isnt CLWs on the bard spell list? I didnt think you needed to use UMD.

The druid is handing over the CLWs wand bc he cant use it during wildshape.

Same thing w/ Comprehend Languages. Thought Slappy could use scroll bc its on bard spell list


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Kiltem is correct. The days of differentiating between an arcane wand and a divine wand are over. It's just the spell. You're welcomed to keep putzing around in Ngozu etc, or you can head out to a port or to the island. You're call. FYI I've been playing a lot of Starfinder via PbP, and I have a method of tracking large naval combat that I'm going to adapt from that quickpost method. Stay tuned!


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

I say we unload our current load of booty--minus what we're going to give to the lizard folk--resupply, including 2 Comp Lang scrolls, and go straight to the island! Will make for a grand tale to tell back here, savvy??

thoughts?

S, can Art get lucky & pick up any firearms here? Will settle for a pistol, but if there happens to be a pistol-dagger, YOINK! :-)


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Here? No. It'd be easy in anything large than a "small city"


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

The druid nods at the wise words of the Capitan. Kiltem goes to look for the scrolls.

Scroll find 2d100 ⇒ (79, 1) = 80

we found one, hopefully thats all we need


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

With a sheepish grin, and a small wink Slappy asks for them to keep an eye out for a flying carpet.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

Since we are in a small town and will only get 40% of what our plunder is worth, lets hold onto it. We still have plenty of room in the hold. And we are planning to give the Lizard village a plunder anyway.

We have our one scroll of comprehend languages. Lets head for Warvill’s Folly.

The Master at Arms starts finding his crew on shore leave to let them know we leave on the next outgoing tide.

Lets go!


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Restocked and ready, the party sails south for just over 8 leagues. The currents are unkind, but by the end of the day, the Pirhana is able to circumnavigate the roughly circular island.

The cliffs that limn the edge of most of the island look intimidating to say the least. There is a beach accessible in the southeast.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

Kiltem gives a good look for danger and of course possible landing areas.
Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15. or maybe Take Ten?

Can we easily bring the ship into the lagoon and sandy beach.
Or will we have to anchor ship outside and bring a jolly boat in?


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

You can maneuver into the lagoon with the Pirhana proper. Kiltem doesn't spy any better options than those listed above.


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)
Dungeon Master S wrote:
You can maneuver into the lagoon with the Pirhana proper. Kiltem doesn't spy any better options than those listed above.

Lets take the ship into the lagoon and prepare a landing party.

Kiltem double checks his marines and makes sure they are all prepared and ready for anything.


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]
"Kiltem wrote:


Kiltem double checks his marines and makes sure they are all prepared and ready for anything.

Art eyes Kiltem ‘s prep with an approving nod, then calls out, before they close to landing distance...

PIRHANA!! WHAT IS YOUR PROFESSION??

Let’s load up a boat with appropriate loot (tow a boat is it’s too much!). And get our officers out there

When we land, Art holds aloft one of the necklaces, and nods for each officer to follow suit. He starts moving forward slowly, looking for lizard folk to speak to...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

The sailors all shout back at the Captain's call.

Unfortunately, it's more than one response, though all are eager,

"Pirating!"
"Pirates!"
"Pillaging!"

They all agree to work on it.

the Pirhana passes by the smaller islands, which are rife with nesting turtles. In the lagoon the island is gorgeous. The beach is an obvious place to land This wide beach of smooth, pale pebbles offers a panoramic view of the jungle-topped cliffs that shelter the tranquil lagoon. To the northwest, a waterfall cascades over a succession of rock shelves. A path of gray stones leads west from the northern end of the beach, providing stepping stones across the falls and up to a series of rough-hewn steps carved into the cliffside. At the top of the cliff, the path winds its way into the shade of the jungle.

As you prepare to hit shore, you can hear what sounds like the frantic whinnying of a horse. This noise echoes across the still water and off the cliff walls, making it audible from some distance. You see that a pair of sea cats have driven a hippocampus up onto the beach and are slowly cornering it. A woman with blue skin and webbed hands, riding another hippocampus, surfaces in the lagoon and calls out in Common, "Help me! Help me drive off the sea cats!"


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

Well boys, luck favors the prepared! Let’s go endear ourselves to the locals we were going to try to endear ourselves to anyway, shall we?

Art moves quickly but cautiously to close, staying together with the rest of the crew

wtf is a “sea cat??”


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)

The druid looks in surprise and genuine excitement at the exotic animals.

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

This fierce creature has the fore body of a great cat, with two powerful, clawed legs under a threatening mouth of sharp claws. Colorful fins cover its back and torso, leading to a sleek tail, like that of a great fish.

The feral sea cat (sometimes referred to as the sea lion, sea tiger, or sea leopard) is among the most vicious and ubiquitous of coastal predators in the world’s tropical oceans. The upper body of a sea cat is that of a typical large cat— these are jaguars. In place of back legs, however, the sea cat has a sleek and powerful tail that allows it to move quickly and silently through the water. While only the back half of a sea cat looks fish-like, its entire body from the neck down is covered in fine scales and fins, making it a formidable swimmer. Among individual sea cats, these scales vary greatly in color and pattern, often influenced by the primary habitat of a given specimen; most sea cats, however, have bright coloration in striped or spotted patterns. The typical sea cat is 12 feet long and weighs upward of 800 pounds.

Kiltem can ask 2 questions about their stats.


M Human L5 Swashbuckler (Picaroon) HP 45 / 45 Ini +4; Panache: 1 / 3 CL 3 / 3 AC 19 FF 16 T 14; F1 R5 W1(+2 v fear); CMD 19
Full Attack:
[dice=Rapier]d20+8[/dice] [dice=damage]d6+5[/dice] [dice=Pistol]d20+6[/dice] [dice=damage]d8+1[/dice]

is it fair to surmise the woman is lizard folk? Or is she clearly something else--mer, maybe?


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

OH WHAT MARVELOUS BEASTS! OF COURSE FAIR MAIDEN WE WILL HELP YOU!.

The gnome moves close enough to the creatures and unleashes his signature thundercall so that it his both of them.

Thundercall Damage Sonic: 1d8 ⇒ 1. DC16 or be stunned 1 rd


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Hang on! I was hoping someone would update the map before combat!

The woman is NOT a lizardfolk. This scaly, finned humanoid has an athletic build and blue-green coloration. Her legs end in wide flippers rather than feet. Knowledge (Local) to ID. I'm still on mobile for a bit. Can someone drop a boat in the middle of the map and move you to it?


Male Gnome Bard (Thundercaller) 5 AC: 17 Touch 14 FF14 : HP: 39/41 Per: +10 Init: +2: Fort: +2 Ref: +6: Will +4

Know local assist: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Male Human Druid 5, HP 50/56, AC17 (T11 FF16), CMD 19, Init +1, Percep +11, (Fort +6, Ref +3, Wil +6)
Dungeon Master S wrote:

This fierce creature has the fore body of a great cat, with two powerful, clawed legs under a threatening mouth of sharp claws. Colorful fins cover its back and torso, leading to a sleek tail, like that of a great fish.

The feral sea cat (sometimes referred to as the sea lion, sea tiger, or sea leopard) is among the most vicious and ubiquitous of coastal predators in the world’s tropical oceans. The upper body of a sea cat is that of a typical large cat— these are jaguars. In place of back legs, however, the sea cat has a sleek and powerful tail that allows it to move quickly and silently through the water. While only the back half of a sea cat looks fish-like, its entire body from the neck down is covered in fine scales and fins, making it a formidable swimmer. Among individual sea cats, these scales vary greatly in color and pattern, often influenced by the primary habitat of a given specimen; most sea cats, however, have bright coloration in striped or spotted patterns. The typical sea cat is 12 feet long and weighs upward of 800 pounds.

Kiltem can ask 2 questions about their stats.

Vulnerabilities?

Special attacks?


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

No particular vulnerabilities, but their claws are wicked, and if they get their hooks in you they can rend.


MAP TEMPLATES | Giantslayer | Fall of Plaguestone | Skull & Shackles |

Slappy, no one is surprised in the encounter, so I can't give you the action until initiative.

The sea cats look like they're just a few fathoms from catching their prey!

Hippocampus: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7
Foes: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Kiltem: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Ko: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Arthur: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Lucky: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Slappy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Round 1:
Lucky: Go
Slappy: Go
Ko: Go
Kiltem: Go
Art: Go

Hippocampus: TBD
Seat cats: TBD

2,451 to 2,500 of 2,664 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dungeon Master S's "Skull & Shackles" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.