Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


4,901 to 4,950 of 12,164 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>

M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

The tiefling blinks in surprise and winks at Cimu. "The only compulsion I'm under is from the two lovely ladies that were just in my bedroom."

He slips into the room and glances around. Know:Arcane on that smell or dungeoneering? 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
"If this is a test, the Cardinal should know that we cannot break a compulsion. Not a very useful test if we have no choice in the matter now, is it?"

Jax will wait until Cimu casts invisibility, then he'll creep along the wall using stealth. 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (1) + 28 = 29


Nothing on dungeoneering. -- You have +28 Stealth?


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge looks at the Cardinal and then back to the angel whose blood is slowly leaking into the mug. When the mug is handed to him, he peers at the heavenly blood.

Looking again at the Cardinal: A few moments of pain is more than a price to pay for an eternity of . . . unlife.

With that, the Judge takes the mug, tips his head back and consumes the entirety in one large drink.


The Cardinal steps forward quickly and puts a hand on your forehead. You feel a small hard object, something cool and smooth, pressed against your skin.

The armored figure, which has been watching motionless, suddenly moves. It takes two steps forward and raises one massive fist, clearly preparing to smash it into your face.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

just lurking here, Jax gets +28 to stealth once Invisibility is cast normally he is +8 :)


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

As the Judge watches the large armored figure raise its mailed fist, the Contract and the Cardinal's words flash through his mind.

The First Loyalty is to their patron and god: mighty Asmodeus, first among the fallen, Prince of the Nine Hells, our father below. They shall do all that can be done to further his worship and his glory.

The Second Loyalty is to their Master: the High Priest of Asmodeus in Talingarde, he who is called the Cardinal Adrastus Thorn. They shall do the Master no harm, and shall obey his every commandment as long as those commandments do not clash with their First Loyalty.

However, the Cardinal did: "swear by Asmodeus . . . that . . . if the day ever comes that I must raise my hand against you, I will do it myself, or through an agent under my direct command."

This flashes through the Judge's legalistic mind in but a flash. Having read the Cardinal's motives as best he could, (assuming the Sense Motive above did not detect any thing malicious) without a pause, the Judge concludes that the Cardinal will be in violation of a similar vow should Cardinal or his minion in fact slay the Judge at this time as the Judge has done nothing to raise the ire of the Lord of Contracts. As such, the Judge simply stands, back straight, and awaits the rewards to be granted, even if such a reward is preempted by substantial pain.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Cуровую casts Disguise Self and Jax finds himself staring back at a duplicate Irin as they walk into the cardinal's chambers.

Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
There's a very faint odor in the air -- dusty and spicy at the same time. There's no fire in the fireplace right now.

Can Cуровую make any Kowledge or Perception or Survival checks?

After they both pass through the threshold she will cast Invisibility on Jax.

'Jax don't get us killed, and before we leave, this is important, so listen, I want to carefully examine the real pen. I have an idea.'


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

someone had Bref rub off on them! Cymu and he are going to be dancing for all eternity together! *munches popcorn*


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Bref wrote:
someone had Bref rub off on them! Cymu and he are going to be dancing for all eternity together! *munches popcorn*

That does not sound too bad. Especially if they have pop corn where you are Bref. See if they have spicy guacamole.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

Goblin make guacamole!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

And thus did Asmodeus learn the meaning of the word 'fear'.


WHAM

The Cardinal was right. It hurts.

A lot.


So, the good news is that Jax is invisible and so has +28 Stealth! The bad news is, he just rolled a Nat 1.


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

Goblin make more Guacamole! Going to be big party!


The Judge has fallen to the ground and is writhing in pain. The song of the Sisters shrills in his ears. A spike of pure, cold agony has been driven through his forehead and into his brain. The pain is huge, impossible. Worse than anything he's ever imagined.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge lies upon the ground gritting his teeth in an attempt to not scream, an attempt that is relatively unsuccessful.

Interspersed with a view of a black mailed fist connecting with his skull, strange memories pass through his mind.

It is a beautiful spring day and a blonde woman and a well build man sit on a stone staring north toward what appears to be an old blackened castle.

A tall pale man with long fangs is standing over the blonde woman smiling before he leans down and sinks his fangs into her neck. A moment later, the pale fanged man has a look of utter surprise as a sword wielded by the well build man, now wearing shining armor covered in blood, suddenly erupts from the pale man's chest.

The blonde woman is lying on her back in pain with the well built man standing above her, a concerned look on his face. A few seconds later, the woman screams in pain, shudders and then lies still as the sound of a child crying is heard.

Then the world of pain returns as the Judge feels his dark blood draining down his face weakening him as it does.


But slowly, slowly, the pain begins to fade.

The cold, however, does not. There's a spot of cold numbness on his forehead. The Judge slowly sits up. He raises his hands to touch his head... and then lowers them, fearful of setting off the pain again.

The singing of the Sisters fades away. The Cardinal snaps his fingers and a glowing red light appears. The Judge and the Cardinal are in the center of illumination; at the edge of it, the hulking armored figure stands, motionless once again. Lance Corporal Dalgoda's body slumps lifelessly in the chains, surrounded by a pool of blood.

The Cardinal raises a small mirror and puts it in front of the Judge's face.


A Nat 1! I love nat 1s.

Jax is moving oh, so quietly... and then his foot hits something that skitters across the floor, rattlerattlerattle whirrr!

(What is it? Why, it's a shiny pebble that Bref the goblin picked up a while back. Bref stuck it in his pocket because he felt like it. And then when the party dragged his dead body into the study, the pebble fell out. And the cleaning servant hasn't come in yet to sweep.)


A small black gem, oval and smooth, is affixed to the center of the Judge's forehead. It looks like it has been there forever; the flesh has grown and fused around it.

It is the late Sir Balin's soul gem.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge is fearful of what he may see, or perhaps what he may not see. Nonetheless, he raises the mirror and looks into it.


"It was necessary to make a connection to the lower planes," says the Cardinal. "Sir Marcel, here, is a Champion of Asmodeus. He can call on the powers of darkness to smite his foes. So mighty has he become, that he can smash through the very fabric of the world, and create a connection to Hell itself.

"But the nature of his power is that it always needs a target: some odious manifestation of insipid benevolence. In this case, the pure and noble soul of Sir Balin.

"Now, dear Judge, you have a spiritual and physical connection to the lower planes. Which is, as you may perhaps know, eventually and inevitably lethal. Hell and its environs are ultimately hostile to mortal life, I can tell you." The Cardinal puts the mirror away and offers a gloved hand to help the Judge up. "The gem is like a little hole in the world. It is going to kill you. Your life will slowly be drained away through it, and replaced with negative energies of entropy and death."

"Were you an ordinary mortal, that would be the end of it. All this ritual would simply have been a very baroque form of slow-motion suicide. But you are not an ordinary mortal. Your unique nature is such that your body should be able to... process these negative energies. Metabolize them, one might say.

"So that rather than simply dying, you should instead be transformed."

Judge:

This is your third level feat. You permanently lose 2 points of Con. You gain the Alertness feat. Lesser undead respond to you as an undead. And you are slowly dying.

In theory, you could change your mind. This would require having the gem surgically removed, and the side effects would be rather unpredictable. Assuming you stick with it, your connection to the lower planes will gradually but inevitably drain your life energy away and kill you.

Whether there are any other effects, good or bad, remains to be seen.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge looks back at the Cardinal: I have sought a way to undertake this transformation for more than a century. I this land of the weak, I did not believe that any such transformation would be possible without becoming a slave to a true vampire. What you have given me is more than a gift, it is an honor. As my life drains, I shall not die, I shall become stronger. I shall serve our Dark Lord and shall repay him with my service.

The Judge pauses before turning to Sir Marcel.
Thank you for your service sir knight. Soon, I hope to walk with a Champion such as yourself as we bring this nation to its knees. To its knees to worship the one true god.

With that, the Judge reaches up and touches the stone in his forehead feeling it pulse with a brief warmth, which he know is the soul of Sir Balin, a warmth which is quickly replaced with a dark coolness. The coolness of negative energy and the undead.

The Judge then turns back to the Cardinal.
Shall we return to the mansion? I have a Knot to organize and preparations to make. In two days we leave to transfer your . . . goods . . . to the north. The north where the source of my blood once ruled and the north from which Talingarde will soon feel great pain.


The Cardinal smiles broadly. "Indeed, my dear Judge. Let us return. The Sisters are hungry; they have done their part, and await their reward. It has been too long since they have feasted on the flesh of angels. Let us leave them to their ceremony." The Cardinal turns and nods at the dark armored figure. "Thank you, Sir Marcel. That will be all." He takes the Judge's hand in one of his gloved hands, and raises his other to cast the spell that will take them back to Horn House.


In the Cardinal's study, an eye opens in the air.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax winces as his foot hits the rock and he holds perfectly still, pausing. "I'm a lot more concerned about escaping alive than whatever suspicious plot you have planned, Cimu."

The tiefling will wait a few moments to see if the "guardian" awakes. If it does and goes after Cimu..great, he keeps walking to the pen. If it attacks him, change of plans.


An eye. A mouth. A shadowy form, coalescing in midair.

It speaks.


COLORLESS GREEN IDEAS SLEEP FURIOUSLY

Let's see some Will saves!


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Edmin looks up from the latest book he has been reading in an attempt to locate information on the next target."So Xenfal, I know the reasons the others are here. Why are you? You seem to have made your way on your own before unlike the rest of us." The knight holds up his arm exposing the brand of the forsaken.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

I was actually on my way to join you. I was a slave trader of some success, and got myself mixed up with a deal that seemed to good to be true. It was. I was on my way to Brandescar myself, before I was able to bribe a guard to let me out with my things. I was on the run for a bit, before the good Cardinal made me an offer that I could not refuse. And here I am.

Engineering for the Wall 1d20 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 1 = 11


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

"Slaver. You any good with that knife on a stick? The goblin you are replacing just ran around trying to bite everything." Edmin shakes his head and rolls his eyes. "I was looking forward to fighting an iron golum with him, but I guess that is not going to happen now."


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

II. WHEN PAYMENT COMES DUE

May the Eternal Hag take your soul Jax! Perfect time to slip up! And where dd that pebble come from? Maybe the goblin wants company in the after life!

Save our butts question, can I make a Stealth teamwork roll so that Jax will not have to use the nat 1?

So Jade regent then?

Will 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Stealth 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (14) + 25 = 39

Edit - DM I rolled a really bad Stealth roll but it disappeared in my edit and I got a 14 instead, all I think I did was correct spelling not retype the [dice]


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Della is not a knife on a stick. She is a lady of beauty and death. I like to believe that I am pretty good with her. Let us see shall we?

Xenfal mutters a few words and a chair drags into the center of the room Mage Hand Then he mutters the same and Della floats to his hands.

I certainly am not as strong as you are Knight, but I strike in other ways. A quick strike here, a nick there...not to mention I have a way of motivating my allies. If you open yourself to it, you shall feel it's effects.

Rubbing his hands on his spear he stops in front of the chair, and spins Della rapidly about his body, as if limbering up. Begin Inspire Courage Something about the movement makes even the cynical Edmin feel strong and quicker.

Then over the next 18 second or so Xenfal dances about the chair, ducking and dodging imaginary cuts and stabs, that seem to originate from the chair. His footwork is incredible to watch. With each strike there seems to be a spark of pure energy that comes out of Xenfal's hands and races down the shaft to the tip of Della, just as it strikes the chair.

Della rd 2 attack 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 9 + 1 = 22 for 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 1 = 4

Della rd 3 attack 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 1 = 26 for 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 1 = 5

Della rd4 attack 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 1 = 26 for 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 1 = 7

Xenfal stops and smiles as he sits in the damaged chair. Up to you to determine whether or not can fight with her or not I suppose, but if nothing else I managed to loosen up a bit, and risk a mound of paperwork from Pilkington. Actually I better take care of that.

Xenfal rises and pulls another chair next to the scarred and damaged one, and closes his eyes.

This will take about ten minutes to repair, but feel free to speak with me as I work.

Casts Mending


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Good luck with the paperwork.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 The dice bloody hate me today.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Edmin grins and claps softly at Xenfal's spear work. "Very nice, you and your Della really do move beautifully together. The next chair we face in combat shall truly rue the day it crosses you."
The knight pours himself another glass of wine and turns back to his book.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

I made the same joke to the man who taught me. Then I got this from something called a mimic.

Xenfal lifts his tunic to show a series of puncture like scars along his side and lower back. Ah good times that was. He laughed at my screams for years after that.


Jax stares at the thing in fascination. "Colorless... green...? He stumbles slowly towards it.

ooh, big dice roll coming up


1d100 ⇒ 49


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

'Jax wait!'

'Irin' will attempt to grab the wayward tiefling.


ooh, close.

Zimu feels the drag on her mind, but shrugs it off. Something about the shape of her mind makes her resistant to whatever this thing is doing.

Not so the tiefling. As Zimu watches in alarm, Jax steps over the edge of the rug. His feet don't touch it, though. (Did something just move in the pattern of the rug for a moment, like some beast shifting a paw or muzzle in its sleep? Surely not.)

Jax stumbles towards the thing in the air, his eyes vacant.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

If Jax does not appear to be in control of his faculties Cуровую will cast Charm Person on the magus.

Not for the first time, Cуровую yearns for the peace of her bitter cold and desolate wasteland home, where the simple dangers of a tribe of Frost giants or rampaging White wyrm were bearable compared to herding her kittenish allies.


That's clever! Okay, need a Will save from Jax to resist the Charm. Zimu, I'll give you a +2 Circumstance bonus on the DC.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 I hate will saves.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Yeh, but this was a good save to fail.


Jax turns to Zimu. His smile is wide and strange. "Vegetable swallow!" he says. "The nimble stags storms cloud over rain falls under the scissors of the dark hairdresser!"

GRASS GROWS AROUND WITH SHARP EYES agrees the thing. HERE THE SHARE OF OUR CARESSES DEAD AND DEPARTED WITH THE WAVES

It reaches out to touch Jax, almost tenderly, and begins eating his mind. Jax, take 1d4 ⇒ 3points of Wisdom damage.


Zimu, it's your turn. You can grab Jax, or give him instructions (the Charm should make him receptive, though his mental state is clearly not normal at the moment). Or you can go and grab the pen. Or... do something else. You tell me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As the Cardinal begins casting the spell, the Judge hears faint shrieks, muffled exclamations, and the beating of wings. The Sisters are gathering for their feast.

In the instant before they depart, does the Judge hear something else? Does a faint, oh so faint voice whisper a single word in his ear...?

Cupcake...

Surely not.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

At least Jax makes better sense than he does normally.

There is a physical creature with us still in the room? Can I make a Knowledge check to see what it is, I want to Know if I am susceptible to another attack. My action will depend on that.

Free action from the same round as Cуровую cast Charm - As Irin, 'Jax, my sweet tiefling, come to me please ... Walk to me, that's a good boy. Give me the quill my dear, I want to tickle your naughty bits with it.'

Just as much as I want a Frost giant masseuse to walk on my back.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:

In the instant before they depart, does the Judge hear something else? Does a faint, oh so faint voice whisper a single word in his ear...?

Cupcake...

Bravo!

DM est Maestro.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge hears the name and simply ignores it.

So many people called me so many names over the years. And now most all of them are dead. So to for you dog angel.


Point of clarification: Jax does not have the pen yet. He was sneaking towards the desk when the thing appeared.

4,901 to 4,950 of 12,164 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.