Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


6,501 to 6,550 of 12,164 << first < prev | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | next > last >>

Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Suprise Round:
Dren casts Bless from the shadows on the group...
+1 morale bonus on attacks and saves vs. fear.

Round 1 Action:
A black inky substance is summoned from the place where Dren's powers originate from, it seeps into the Elf's ears and attempts to alter her mind for a few seconds.

Dren casts command. The command is Halt. DC 16 Willpower save or lose his next turn.

You will do nothing... Dren whispers.


Y'all will want to make some Init rolls, since stuff that one person does (i.e., Xenfal's spell, Dren's buff) may affect another's action (i.e. by lowering her AC).

She's right in the stern of the ship, so cannot be flanked unless you somehow manage to move her forward. Also, only three of you can melee her at a time, unless you have reach. That's why I asked if you wanted to wait until she had moved forward...


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Surprise Round:
Wait, now? We're going to--well alright.
Vanish
Jax uses his one standard to disappear, casting Vanish to be invisible for the next 3 rounds.

Round 1: Fight!
Jax dashes up the ladder and toward the stern. Assuming a double move is needed. How big is the ship? Can he get off a standard attack action on this round or is he just moving adjacent to her?

{Message}That's a big shark-fish-thing.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

init 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Jax Naismith wrote:


Wait, now? We're going to--well alright.

Thought that was what you said to Irin?


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

BOOM!


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Really guys? Come on! We should ave waited to get her on board and perhaps one deck below! Your all jumping her now, she may just jump in the water. And her creatures may see this. Why could we not waited a minute?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Jax Naismith wrote:


Wait, now? We're going to--well alright.

Thought that was what you said to Irin?

A man knows what works for him.


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

I just do what the judge tells us to do. Xen is the opposite of Bref in that respect...though to be fair I think Bref wouldhave leaped into the water to bite her face. :)And to be honest I was getting bored. Xen has not had any meaningful Gameplay in a very long time :)


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Point. But a round or two to get her below decks would not be too much waiting. Still I hear what your saying.

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Whoa! I guessed the killer whale! The Soothsayer's Gift is rubbing off.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

though below decks we might have to deal with the captain getting involved and taking the loot/

Surprise for Xen was the touch. On round 1 Xenfal will activate inspire courage, as he does an intricate footwork as he prepares to kill his foe.


Need inits from Sir Edmin, Morsum and the Judge. Since the Judge said he'd be distracted, why don't I roll those three to speed things along.

Sir Edmin 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Ragnar the dog 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Morsum 1d20 ⇒ 5
Judge 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Grumblejack 1d20 ⇒ 19


So, initiative for the party is as follows:

22 Ragnar
19 Grumblejack
18 Zimu
18 Sir Edmin
16 Xenfal
15 Jax
9 Judge
5 Dren
5 Morsum

Ragnar I'm going to rule doesn't attack on the surprise round. So that leaves Grumblejack to open the festivities.


Grumblejack rushes up the stairs and onto the deck in a silent charge. He's learned enough from practice with you that he stands off at a little distance, using his long arms and massive weapon to strike. (So that he doesn't use one of the three precious slots immediately adjacent to your target...)

1d20 ⇒ 15 Whammo, that's a hit. 1d12 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 damage on the Soothsayer.

Grumblejack understands the need for silence but you hear him muttering under his breath. "An elf? Yeah, that's good. I hate elves. Mincy-pants fruit-nut-flower eating "oh I'll shoot you with my bow" frickin' elves."


And now it's over to our own dear Zimu.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Your eloquence has been understated Mr. Jack. Xen says quietly.


Skipping ahead a bit while Zimu considers what to do:

Sir Edmin is going to miss. Her AC against him is higher than 17.

Xenfal's touch attack hits! She needs to roll a DC 14 Fort save. 1d20 ⇒ 10


Why did she have to be an elf, instead of some sturdier race? -- Xen feels the spell connect. The Soothsayer's nervous system is temporarily jangled and scrambled, her limbs twitching and trembling! She's at -2 Dex, thus -1 AC and Init. She has 14 damage on her so far.


Jax vanishes.

That leaves Zimu, the Judge, Dren and Morsum to act in the surprise round. I assume you're leaving one space open for Morsum to get adjacent to her.

Zimu? What are you doing?


Della part 8: well, that was brutal!


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

wow flatfooted AC of 18+ yowsa

What did you think the Della was going to save Xen and they would run off together in love? pffft. :)

Yes there is space for the enlarged morsum to grapple next to her. plz dont forget his biggerized bonus :)


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

A disembodied voice mumbles near Xenfal's ear. Eloquence is far more difficult when caught unawares. Now, shall we have a fish fry?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Before the frat party starts

The Elf is coming on the ship!

Cуровую reaches out her hand to help the Soothsayer climb on board.

Bluff 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

Why did you not turn away Elf!

I single tear drops from Cуровую's right eye and lands at the apex of where Aasimar and Elf's hands join.

Cуровую does not even realize she has cast Daze.

DC 15


Tragic!

1d20 ⇒ 17

Yeah, not even. She shrugs that right off. (She does notice that you cast at her, though.)


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Hence the Bluff roll.


Ah! I missed that. Okay, she gets a Perception (which for her is a lot better than her Sense Motive) 1d20 ⇒ 11 Yup, she still spots that.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

not to quibble or start trouble zimu, but you actually have to have a feat to hide spell casting, Spellsong for example, or have silent spell or the like. Not that it matters in this case


I believe you're right. But, cantrip. And as you say, ended up not mattering.


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

dont hate goblin witchy witch!!!


And, whoops, just realized I made a mistake: I forgot a bonus that she gets. So, she made her save against Xen's spell after all. She gains back 1 point of Dex.

Note that while this is a surprise round, she's only flat-footed against attackers she was unaware of. She was aware of Edmin, so she gets her Dex bonus against him.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

what!?!?!? you said it DMDM you cant take it back! Raaaaawwwwwwrrrrr!!!


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Which is why Dren has silent spell...will be much more useful at higher levels.
Don't forget about Ray of Enfeeblement as well...


Male Eidolon Disconcerting Shadowy Monstrosity HP: 9/53; AC23(27 w/Mage Armor; 31 w/MA& Shield),T12,FF20; F+6,R+3,W+4/+8; Per+9; Init+2)

With his long arms, Morsum silently reaches out and grabs the elf, dragging her toward him:

Attack-grapple: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 27 +6 norm CMB, +1 bless, +1 size, +1 extra strength (Enlarge Person)

Grapple:

As a standard action, you can attempt to grapple a foe, hindering his combat options. If you do not have Improved Grapple, grab, or a similar ability, attempting to grapple a foe provokes an attack of opportunity from the target of your maneuver. Humanoid creatures without two free hands attempting to grapple a foe take a –4 penalty on the combat maneuver roll. If successful, both you and the target gain the grappled condition. If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails). Although both creatures have the grappled condition, you can, as the creature that initiated the grapple, release the grapple as a free action, removing the condition from both you and the target. If you do not release the grapple, you must continue to make a check each round, as a standard action, to maintain the hold. If your target does not break the grapple, you get a +5 circumstance bonus on grapple checks made against the same target in subsequent rounds. Once you are grappling an opponent, a successful check allows you to continue grappling the foe, and also allows you to perform one of the following actions (as part of the standard action spent to maintain the grapple).

See above description. I do not know how far away Morsum can grapple the elf. Since he is much larger, he should be able to drag her toward him. Morsum has 10' reach with his claws and a 15' reach with his bite. Not sure how you want to play this. If possible, Morsum will grab her and pull her 5' toward him, and away from the side of the ship, to grapple her. At least if he managed to grapple her, I hope a 27 made it.

I believe Morsum's CMD is 18, but there may be other bonuses I have not thought of. Enlarge Person gives +1 Str, -1 Dex, +1 size. Not sure what else might affect him.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Having limited helpful skills, the Judge casts Guidance on his servant.

--> add +1 to Morsum's prior Grapple for a 28.

Also, please let me know if there are any other bonuses I missed with Morsum. I am not sure what all is in effect as there were multiple spells and abilities used I believe.


Morsum leaps to grapple the Soothsayer -- and bounces! Some invisible force prevents him from touching her.


Probably time for the Soothsayer to roll Init.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Hmph. -- Okay, Dren cast his Bless from the shadows, so now we loop around.

22 Ragnar
19 Grumblejack
18 Zimu
18 Sir Edmin
16 Xenfal
15 Jax
9 Judge
7 Soothsayer
5 Dren
5 Morsum

Not sure if you want Ragnar to take one of the three slots? So here's Grumblejack: 1d20 ⇒ 2


Whoosh -- nothing but air.

Okay, that was bad. Doubt you'll be able to kill her this round, which means she's probably hopping over the rail to safety on her init. Well: do your worst. Everyone can act except Dren and Morsum.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 2 = 19

Xenfal grips her in a bear hug

I should be in a flank with someone at this point. Probably grumble


Xenfal wrote:

Xenfal grips her in a bear hug

Ah heh heh heh.


So, she came on board unarmed. No weapon except a little knife at her hip, and she wasn't holding that.

Now, when you attack someone who is armed, they get an AoO against you. (And if they hit you, the damage is added to your CMB. Which is why you don't try to grapple the guy with the greataxe.) When you attack someone who is unarmed, normally they don't get that AoO. Unless they have Improved Unarmed Strike, of course. Or...


As Xenfal rushes to grab the Soothsayer, she reaches out one delicate hand. Touch attack: 1d20 ⇒ 11


...crap, your Touch AC is 16? +5 Dex and Dodge?

Oooh, you are a lucky lucky Lore Warden Bard. Because that was save-or-suck, and her save DCs are really high.

As the Soothsayer reaches out, Xenfal's trained reflexes take over; he doesn't know what she's doing, but he knows he wants no part of it. He dodges around her outstretched hand; it closes on air, just half an inch from his chest. He pivots, then grabs her arm in a come-along elbow lock of the sort he used to use on troublesome slaves.

Okay, she'll just have to get you on her init.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Not sure if this is relevant, but Protection from Evil does not help against an Eidolon.

Eidolon:
A summoner begins play with the ability to summon to his side a powerful outsider called an eidolon. The eidolon forms a link with the summoner, who, forever after, summons an aspect of the same creature. An eidolon has the same alignment as the summoner that calls it and can speak all of his languages. Eidolons are treated as summoned creatures, except that they are not sent back to their home plane until reduced to a number of negative hit points equal to or greater than their Constitution score. In addition, due to its tie to its summoner, an eidolon can touch and attack creatures warded by protection from evil and similar effects that prevent contact with summoned creatures.

I will hold off until I get an answer on this.


Ho! I did not know that!


In that case, okay, rewind. Morsum grabs her at the end of the surprise round. Since she was unaware of him, she does not get an AoO, even with a touch attack. So at the beginning of Round 1, she's grappled by Morsum.

Does Xen still want to grapple her? If he does, that's fine -- we'll just keep the preceding rolls, and she'll be double-grappled. If not, you can choose to do something else.


"Eidolons act like summoned creatures except when they don't." Ugh. I can appreciate the reason for the exception -- otherwise, your 20th level eidolon could be nerfed by a simple Protection From Evil -- but it's yet another thing about the Summoner.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Sorry about that. I was trying to figure what had blocked Morsum and not the rest of the party, and Protect from Evil is all that I could come up with.

She still gets the AC bonus, if that helps her at all.


Yeah, a midlevel Oracle isn't likely to have a CMD of 25.

6,501 to 6,550 of 12,164 << first < prev | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.