Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


6,251 to 6,300 of 12,164 << first < prev | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | next > last >>

The iceberg gives a mind-mangling shriek of rage. You are now close enough that you can see the flying creatures flapping around its icy brow. They're dragons -- white ones.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


And then it turns.

It takes you a few moments to realize what's happening. The iceberg is so big that it can't turn quickly. But slowly, it turns aside. The Frosthamar sails straight on, passing through the water where the iceberg had been just a few moments ago. You get close enough that you can feel the cold radiating from it. Above you, a dragon turns in a slow arc, watching you.

And then the Frosthamar and the iceberg creature are sailing away from each other.


In a few moments, you are sailing out of the clearing and into the fog. Visibility closes back down to a few feet.

From behind you comes a scream of baffled rage. 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 chunks of ice fall out of the sky. 1d100 ⇒ 791d100 ⇒ 401d100 ⇒ 491d100 ⇒ 65 One punches a hole through the mainsail, tearing through ropes and cloth before crashing to the deck and leaving another large scar on the wood.

"A!$&!$+," says the Captain. He turns and begins putting his shirt and hide armor back on. You can roll a second Perception check if you're on deck.

DC 16 Perception check:
As the Captain turns, you see some sort of complex dark blotch on the front of his body. It's either a big, complicated tattoo or a really nasty birthmark.

DC 21 Perception check:
It's some sort of many-armed creature with a single eye. And it's not a tattoo.


And the ship sails on. Behind you, the roars and bellowing fade to hateful groans and mumbles, then disappear.

The Captain pauses to survey the Frosthamar: damage to the sails and shrouds, scars on the deck, terrified crew. He hefts his ax and, once again, tests its edge with his thumb.

"Oh, Yngvi," he says softly. "Where are you?"


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

The Judge watches the whole process. As soon as the ice creature begins to respond to the Captain's speech, Tohram screams via a whisper.

GET THE MIDGET BACK IN HIS CAGE AND GET AWAY FROM THE CAPTAIN'S CABIN. HE SCARED THE ICEBERG MONSTER AND ITS WHITE DRAGONS ESCORT AWAY.

Perception #2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

The Judge simply records the strange markings on the captain as well as the aura that was about him to be told to the others later. When the group is away, he will tell the others what he saw.

I imagine you all can read the first spoiler and the second DC18 spoiler, unless DMDM says otherwise.

WOOHOO - just realized this was my 15,000 post.


As a general rule, if you want to reveal what's in a spoiler to the others, you can. You can say "I saw X", or "I heard him say Y", or you can cut and paste it, or you can just tell the others to go and look under the spoiler. I prefer the first two, myself, but it's really up to you.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Xen will speak to the wounded sailor. I would never let you come to harm.

He says this as he helps him up.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

i assume this whole event took a good 10 min at least rught? If so nimpy shouldve had a chance right?


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

I hadn't realized message was cast on Jax or he would have filled the party in!

via Message: I can't be certain, but I'm almost completely sure that thing is our Lord Graupel. He's complaining about someone killing his servant and being a little raging b%#~@ about it. The Captin, on the other hand, is a loon. He's cursing at the thing and..oh..well that's interesting. Our captain made a deal with Teutha. Anyone know much about that name?

Wait..that's not all. Something about two queens and a mother's court? Ah! He mentioned the Kraken..oh god, he's got a deal with the kraken?!

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 for the first one
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 for the second

While we're at it: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 Arcane for Teutha?


M DEAD!! KILLED BY EVIL EVIL DMDM!! Rogue1/Barb (Feral)1 temp hp 14/17 and 9 con (HP 24/25+4 when Raging; AC21/17/15(-2 Raging) ; CMD 16 (18 Rage) Fort +4(6); Ref +8; Will +1( 3); Init +6; Perception +5/6 for Traps; Darkvision

goblin would have chewed ice cube like a puppy!


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

I rarely tell someone to read under a spoiler as I think it is really lazy. Unfortunately life has been insane this week and I was feeling exhausted. I also hate when people just cut and paste as it seems really cheap. However, this is just my view.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Edmin stands by on deck watching the events unfold, his ax white knuckle gripped in his hand.


Kraken.... did anyone ever mention a kraken?

Jax, the kraken is a legend. It's a story that people tell when ships disappear. To believe in the kraken, you have to believe that nobody has ever survived an encounter with it. And that's crazy talk.


Meanwhile:

"Ah, Yngvi." Captain Odenkirk shakes his head. This is a new mood for the Captain: he seems a little sad, but also mellow and relaxed. "How many years have we sailed together? Ah, but I knew this day would come. The Fates wove you a coward's thread, and no man escapes his doom."

"Mercy, Captain!" the First Mate blubbers. "It, I couldn't help -- I was afraid -- I'm sorry -- "

Captain Odenkirk smiles gently as he hefts his axe. "Witch-Man," he says, "we will need just a little bit more healing here..."


Xenfal, Captain Odenkirk wants you to cast healing spells on Yngvi so he will last longer while the Captain slowly slices various pieces off him with his axe.

A) No! That's horrible! I won't be a party to torture!

B) No. I'm tired of the Captain pushing me around. I don't care any more. I'm not jumping to his command.

C) Yes. I'm not getting on the Captain's bad side. Frickin' icebergs get out of this guy's way.

D) Yes. I'm just playing along for now, staying on the Captain's good side, looking forward to the day when we can finally kill him.

E) Yes, definitely. Yngvi was ready to abandon us all to our fates. He deserves everything he gets.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

D. might be a different answer had Yngvi not been a wanker to us, a bit of C in there too

Captain, I am almost out of healing magics. I can do very little.

Edit I meant to write D but typod


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

New Tactic - enlist the captain as new PC for the group. Sit back, relax. Watch experience and treasure roll in.

Judge, Jax, unless you suggest otherwise via Message I will drop the Charm the minute the Judge gives a warning to abandon 'what's in the captain's cabin Part II', although we may have had time to attempt something while he was playing chicken with the iceberg.

DM said dragons. Like, dragons? Like not something we would mistake for a dragon, but the real puppy?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
D) Yes. I'm just playing along for now, staying on the Captain's good side, looking forward to the day when we can finally kill him.

Good side?

Cуровую ends Mirror Image when the Judge sends the warning, waits for the others to make their way deck side and quietly makes way to the halfling. Perhaps he has heard of the Mountain that Swims, but yields to the captain.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5
Xenfal wrote:

D. might be a different answer had Yngvi not been a wanker to us, a bit of C in there too

Captain, I am almost out of healing magics. I can do very little.

Edit I meant to write D but typod

On that note. Dm which yo uprefer I make when yo Kill Xenfal in the next fight against the Cpt? How about Ratfolk Gunslinger?


Quote:


DM said dragons. Like, dragons? Like not something we would mistake for a dragon, but the real puppy?

Well, they looked like dragons. Several of them. As noted, the nature of the encounter made it hard to be sure of their size.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Xenfal wrote:
On that note. Dm which yo uprefer I make when yo Kill Xenfal in the next fight against the Cpt? How about Ratfolk Gunslinger?

Fight the captain? Join up! I hear through the grapevine he is looking for a new first mate.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge looks at the first mate and simply shakes his head. The strong rule. The weak serve. When the weak no longer serve a useful purpose, we dispose of them.

Tohram then leans back against the mast waiting for the show to begin so that he can enjoy the bloodshed.


It's a nasty, nasty spectacle. It goes on for a while. Captain Odenkirk clearly enjoys it. Former First Mate Yngvi just as clearly does not.

At the end of it, the Captain drags the torn, bleeding thing that was once a man to the railing of the ship. He hangs a couple of ballast stones around Yngvi's neck, murmurs a few words, cuts his throat and kicks him overboard.

And then the Frosthamar proceeds upon its way.


A bit later, Nimpy is going to ask someone: "I heard screaming and shouting, and some sort of roaring sound... what was happening? (You are of course under no obligation to tell him anything.)


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Cуровую зиму wrote:
Cуровую waits for the others to make their way deck side and quietly makes way to the halfling. Perhaps he has heard of the Mountain that Swims, but yields to the captain.

Cуровую will check on the halfling before the captain begins his reprimand of his first mate. She will ask if he needs anything and tell him what she knows of the days events.

Cуровую will then ask the halfling if he knows of the Mountain that swims.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Edmin sits back and pets Ragnar as he watches the proceeding. Tourture never bothered the cavalier when used for a reason, and failure at attempted mutiny was definitely worthy of such an act.

The Champion of Asmodiouse approaches the rail as the Captain interns Yngvi to the deep. "I did not liked him much. He seemed a coward and a boot lick. To turn lose his water as he tried to raise himself in power is unforgivable. May the Dark Price give him a suiting afterlife. Namely as a Pitfiend's piss pot." The antipaladin then turns and walks to the bow of the Frosthammer, continuing his watch to the North.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

Jax won't stick around while Yngvi is tortured. He sees no point to it.

At some point in the evening, Jax will try to get his companions together to speak quietly away from the Captain.

We're supposed to fight the champion of something that doesn't even exist? The Captain is playing at something, but if he can drive away sentient icebergs then he's a bit much for us to handle in a straight fight. Do we still have any of that poison?


Cуровую зиму wrote:


Cуровую will then ask the halfling if he knows of the Mountain that swims.

"Of course. A sea creature of legend, like the Copper Lord or the kraken." He pauses thoughtfully. "Except, you know, I've come to believe in the kraken. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to hear the others are real too."


Quote:


The Champion of Asmodiouse approaches the rail as the Captain interns Yngvi to the deep. "I did not liked him much. He seemed a coward and a boot lick. To turn lose his water as he tried to raise himself in power is unforgivable. May the Dark Price give him a suiting afterlife. Namely as a Pitfiend's piss pot."

This actually brings a slight chuckle from the Captain! "Ho ho. Axe-wielder, that is more or less how it will go. The hagfish will eat his eyes, and the slime-eels will crawl in and out and make him their plaything. Then the Dark Current will carry him down to the Underdeep, where waits..." He pauses, then shrugs. "No man escapes his doom." Captain Odenkirk strolls off. (This is the most friendly, mellow and relaxed you've ever seen him.)


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Cуровую зиму wrote:


Cуровую will then ask the halfling if he knows of the Mountain that swims.

"Of course. A sea creature of legend, like the Copper Lord or the kraken." He pauses thoughtfully. "Except, you know, I've come to believe in the kraken. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to hear the others are real too."

Cimu, this seems important. The halfling knows something about the Captain or about the Kraken. Could you ask him a few more questions, since Jax isn't there to delve into it?


Meanwhile, a brief cutscene for Sir Edmin only.

Sir Edmin:

This happens a day after the encounter with Lord Graupel. It's night and you're in your bunk. Everyone around you is sleeping soundly.

"Sir Edmin. Please, wake up, Sir Edmin." The voice is unfamiliar. You turn, hand reaching instinctively for your axe.

A beautiful young woman is kneeling by your bunk. Drop-dead gorgeous beautiful. She's wearing only a simple blue-green tunic made of what look like fish scales. Her eyes are large and green; her ears are slightly pointed. She's an elf or half-elf. Her skin is pale but with a slight greenish tinge. Her hands, you notice, are slightly webbed. (She's still gorgeous.)

Her hair is wet and clings to her shoulders. In fact, she's all wet, as if she's just come out of the water. It's just a few degrees above freezing and she's only wearing a light tunic (which is also wet). This doesn't seem to bother her at all.

"Brave Sir Edmin. I come in peace. Will you listen to me?"


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Cutscene:
Edmin sits up in his bunk and slowly but purposely places his ax across his legs. "You know my name girl, but have left me without yours. I will speak with you under parley, but first you must give me your name and how you got here. If you attempt to harm me or my companions our parley will end and you shall encounter my ax. Are we clear?"


Cutscene:

"Call me the Soothsayer, for I gave up my name when I took that title. I came aboard unseen, warded by my magic. I have laid a sleep on those around us, but will do them no harm otherwise."

She looks into your eyes. You notice that there's a white film across them, like cataracts. Is she blind? But she seems to see you well enough.

"Sir Edmin, I have pursued your ship across long leagues of sea. You carry a cargo of war and death and worse. This cargo must not be delivered." She leans forward. "It was I who told the Talirean ship where to find you. It was I who send poor Nerianus and his mer-warriors against your ship. It was I who allowed Killiketz to pass, knowing that Elise Zadaria had sent him against you, and who told him when your party would be divided and vulnerable. It was I who told Lord Graupel of the death of his servant, and where to find your ship. I hated to deal with such a wicked creature, but I was becoming desperate. And now I am more desperate still, for still you come onwards, cargo and all.

"I know something of your tale, brave knight. I know what you have suffered, and what you have lost. And I know this, too: you are not wholly evil. There is still good in you.

"Turn, Sir Edmin! Turn aside from this path! I know that you are a man who is loyal to his comrades. I promise you that if they go peacefully, no harm will come to them.

"Turn, and I swear you will have my protection. The power that has sent you shall rage in vain.

"Turn, and you may come and dwell beneath the sea for a time, for your safety and for healing. Few indeed are the surface dwellers who are offered this! But you shall see wonders that no human, not even the greatest of mortal wizards, have ever beheld.

"Turn, Sir Edmin, and your pain shall be healed. I know your torn heart. I say again, I know what you have suffered and what you have lost. And I tell you truly: vengeance will not make you whole. It is a dark and bloody road that leads only to horror and ruin, and the dark god's laughter at your final fall. But there is a better way, a brighter way, a kinder way.

"Do you remember good Sir Nonus? I see that you do. Ask yourself... what would he want you to do?"

"Turn, Sir Edmin. Turn and come home."


Jax Naismith wrote:

Cimu, this seems important. The halfling knows something about the Captain or about the Kraken. Could you ask him a few more questions, since Jax isn't there to delve into it?

Jax, this conversation is taking place at some point over the next day or so. So there's no reason you couldn't be there, at least briefly. (As noted, the halfling is never left unwatched for very long.)


Douglas Muir 406 wrote:


This actually brings a slight chuckle from the Captain! "Ho ho. Axe-wielder, that is more or less how it will go. The hagfish will eat his eyes, and the slime-eels will crawl in and out and make him their plaything. Then the Dark Current will carry him down to the Underdeep, where waits..." He pauses, then shrugs. "No man escapes his doom."

Frosthamar Cruise Lines: enjoy lively, light, diverting conversation with our staff!


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Jax Naismith wrote:
Cimu, this seems important. The halfling knows something about the Captain or about the Kraken. Could you ask him a few more questions, since Jax isn't there to delve into it?

You left the captian to his torture of the first mate, perhaps you can join me and the halfling.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
"Of course. A sea creature of legend, like the Copper Lord or the kraken." He pauses thoughtfully. "Except, you know, I've come to believe in the kraken. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to hear the others are real too."

'We may have very well encountered him this day, it may be he who almost overwhelmed the ship and all of us just now. What more do you know of him little friend? I believe his servant sought me out to do me harm.'


"They say he's an elemental. You know, perhaps, that most such creatures care nothing for good or evil? But there are exceptions. Some develop consciences and seek to do good in the world. Others... go the other way.

"Some say he's an iceberg that was given consciousness by some evil spellcasters -- the cultists of the Dark Tower, perhaps, or the Candlemaker. Others say that a portal was opened to the Elemental Demi-Plane of Ice to let him through. Yet others say he was a servant of the great white dragon Nutilaq, the Master of the North, and was freed only when that great monster perished over a century ago. But all these are travellers tales, and I cannot say which may be true."


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

'You are indeed well read and a wealth of travel have passed under your heels my little friend. Hopefully one day soon your travels will continue.'

Cуровую means this.

'Why do you thing this Mountain that swims or one of his servants would take an interest in me or this ship?'


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

While talking with the halfling:
Have you ever heard the Captain speaking of going on land? Does he go there frequently?


Quote:


'Why do you thing this Mountain that swims or one of his servants would take an interest in me or this ship?'

"I... I have no idea."

Quote:


Have you ever heard the Captain speaking of going on land? Does he go there frequently?

"He does sometimes, yes. But being locked in a box hasn't given me much opportunity to observe his movements. Much of what I know about the Captain comes from listening to Bag'o'Bones. And he was insane."


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
"Of course. A sea creature of legend, like the Copper Lord or the kraken." He pauses thoughtfully. "Except, you know, I've come to believe in the kraken. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to hear the others are real too."

You're right, I hadn't thought of that!

Nimpy, my friend, if I may call you that. You believe in a creature like the Kraken? What makes you think this legendary thing could possibly exist?


Jax Naismith wrote:


Nimpy, my friend, if I may call you that. You believe in a creature like the Kraken? What makes you think this legendary thing could possibly exist?

"Well, Bag'o'Bones believed in it. He used to mumble and talk to himself. He was mad, of course, and he used to ramble. Still, here's the story he told..."

Captain Odenkirk and the Kraken:

Remember, this is third hand -- what I remember of what Bag'o'Bones said the Captain told him. And Bag'o'Bones was mad.

But here you go: Kargeld Odenkirk had a brother, long ago. And by all accounts it was a question of which was bad and which was worse. They were both cruel, evil men who cared nothing for life or kindness. If there was a difference, it was perhaps that the brother was a bit stronger and fiercer, Kargeld a bit greedier and more ruthless.

For years, the two brothers wandered the sea-lanes as mercenaries. Then they fell out over a ship that they captured. It was this ship, the Frosthamar. They fought. The brother won, and Kargeld Odenkirk barely escaped with his life. Odenkirk fled, but he ever planned revenge. And somehow -- Bag'o'Bones would get terrified and mumbly at this point -- somehow, he made contact with the kraken.

What is the kraken? The legends describe a thing like a giant octopus, but big as a mountain, with a single glaring eye. Perhaps. I wonder if it might not be a demon escaped from the Abyss, myself, or some sort of intelligent undead. It's a powerful force of evil, whatever it is. It lives in the sea and it delights in pain and death. Most particularly, the pain and death of innocents.

Odenkirk made it an offer, or it made him a challenge... I'm not sure which. But his very next job as as a pilot for a ship full of refugees fleeing the Pretender's War in Hammerfest. Two hundred people crammed onto a cog, more than half of them women and children. He took that ship of refugees and he sailed it straight to where the kraken had told him to. And the kraken rose. And it killed them all, in great pain and terror. Those innocent lives were his first sacrifice, his ticket of admission.

So the Captain became a favored servant of the kraken. I know that sounds insane. But I've seen it. When we fought him... Sea water acts like healing magic on him. He's not afraid of drowning or any other sort of injury. I half think you could hack him to pieces and throw them in the water, and... he'd come back.

He went back and found his brother and challenged him, right on the deck of the Frosthamar. And since Kargeld Odenkirk was now pretty much unkillable, he won. He cut his brother's throat and tossed him overboard as an offering to his new patron. And since then, he has sailed the sea, committing acts of violence and cruelty and wickedness -- and, if Bag'o'Bones' mad ravings are to be believed, serving as a sort of roving eye or agent for the kraken.

Maybe there is no kraken! I'd like to think so. But there's something beyond or behind Captain Odenkirk. Which is why I say again that he has to die.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

That's quite a story! And we have seen the Captain's wounds heal with our own eyes. He is truly a wicked fellow. I agree with you..we must do something about him.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Dren would have been downstairs with Nimpy. The torture of a useless creature holds no interest for him...the torture of an interesting creature...that is a different story.

I believe the story Nimpy. There are things I have seen, things I have been told, they are beyond belief. The Kraken is merely another thing such as those, a power beyond our reckoning

The voices suddenly return, whispering their unintelligible language, but only for a moment before Dren is able to shut them back away...


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

By the way my little friend, did bag of bones keep anything of interest around here?

When we finish up with our halfling friend, Detect Magic and look through the area for possible hidey holes bag of bones could have stored his belongings in.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Nope. Bag'o'Bones' riches were largely spiritual.


A word on geography. Think of the northern border of Talingarde as a bit like the border between the US and Canada. Part of it crosses land, and part of it crosses a large inland lake. A river runs out of this lake and into the sea. The entire course of this river is north of the border; from lake to sea, it's all well inside the Northern Wild.

You are about to enter the mouth of this river. You'll proceed from there inland to the lake. The Fourth Knot is camped on the north shore of the lake. When your business with them is done, the Frosthamar will drop you on the south shore, which is back inside Talingarde. You'll proceed from there overland to the fortress that you're supposed to infiltrate and destroy.

There's more to tell, but that would require Knowledge [geography] checks.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

alright I'll take geo next level!

6,251 to 6,300 of 12,164 << first < prev | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.