Doug M's Way of the Wicked (Inactive)

Game Master Douglas Muir 406

Follow the Way of the Wicked, the award-winning AP from Fire Mountain games.

The wickedness continues in Way of the Wicked Part II: The Dark Tower!


6,201 to 6,250 of 12,164 << first < prev | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Cуровую зиму wrote:

the highest Sense Motive so far is 23.

the highest Knowledge Arcane is 26.

Just checking DM, I know the Judge picked up something with his Sense Motive, but he is not sharing at the moment, did a 19 get anything?

Did a Knowledge Arcana 26 get anything pertinent for the names gathered during the seal hunt?


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
"C-Captain!" First Mate Yngvi is almost incapacitated with terror. "Captain! It's driving us onto the Wall in the Sea!"

It?

Cуровую grabs Xen by the wrist and motions to Dren to follow them before heading bellow decks.


Captain Odenkirk stands very still, listening.

DC 20 Perception check:

Yes, the sound of the waves ahead is definitely getting louder.

Suddenly he turns. "You! Helm hard to port! Aldrig ophøre at elske en person, og aldrig opgive håbet for ham, for selv den fortabte søn, der var faldet mest lav, kunne stadig redde! Den bitreste fjende, og også ham, der var din ven igen kunne være din ven, kærlighed, der har vokset kulde kan antænde!"

The sailors hesitate at their tasks. "NOW!

The sailors rush to haul on ropes, and two of them push on the rudder-handle. First Mate Yngvi turns towards the Captain. "Captain -- no -- that thing -- you can't --"

Without a word, Captain Odenkirk pulls out his axe. Yngvi turns and flees down the hatch to belowdecks. Behind you, something bellows with immense, huge rage. The Frosthamar is turning around now, coming about; it is going to sail back, towards whatever it is that is roaring in the fog.


Cуровую зиму wrote:


Just checking DM, I know the Judge picked up something with his Sense Motive, but he is not sharing at the moment, did a 19 get anything?

Did a Knowledge Arcana 26 get anything pertinent for the names gathered during the seal hunt?

No and no. The Captain has a respectable poker face, so his Sense Motive DCs can be highish. And apparently whatever-it-was isn't an Arcana check.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Xen follows, but makes stays where he can hear what is going on, and he loads his crossbow in case it comes to combat.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Cуровую starts casting Mirror Image.

1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Dren loads his crossbow as well and heads onto the deck. When Cуровую starts casting, Dren activates his shadow armor...
So what new beast do we face Captain? If it endangers the ship we will help!


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond

He has the right of it. We don't want your ship sinking any more than you do, Captain.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Jax will pull out a scroll of shield and hold it in hand. Darn, too bad he can't use his tail right about now for holding it!


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Quietly, 'Xen I think it would be a fine time to disappear below decks. And no nothing cute like what your thinking, I meant unfinished business with the captain's quarters.'

Not sure if these will be of help with the current situation on board but Cуровую will try to figure out what going on and how best to deal with the threat.

Knowledge Nature 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Survival 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Edit - Yaay


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Unsure of what is following them, the Judge moves to the mid-deck and holds onto something solid. At the same time, he considers what type of creature he can call that would assist if this should turn to a fight, which he highly expects will occur.

The Judge also calls to Cy and the others connected via a Message spell. I assume that we have Message up most of the time as it is a useful spell and is a 0 level spell - thus, unlimited usages.
If the captain should go overboard, try to gain access to his cabin. You will not have much time, get help from the midget if necessary. I shall stay up here and watch for the captain while using my summoned creatures to help with any fight.
____________________

Semi-Retcon:
After viewing the Captain's actions with the northmen. He speaks with the rest of the party.
The Captain seemed almost fearful of them. Perhaps not fearful, but definitely a grudging respect. He was not unhappy to see them leave and row away.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Xen turns and goes down the stairs and checks the captains quarters. If he is alone he will pick the lock.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

he tries a second time 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

if he is not alone then he does not do it.


The Frosthamar is now sailing directly towards the immense bellowing, which is rapidly coming closer. You can't see what it is through the fog, but you will soon. Meanwhile 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 large chunks of ice fly through the air. They splash into the water behind the ship. (Perhaps whatever is sending them did not expect the Frosthamar to turn around and sail back.)

"Witch-Man!" snarls the Captain. "Have you any magic that can ward us against these cursed ice blocks?"


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

I know how to heal, and prevent cowards from fleeing. That is all.


"Prevent cowards from fleeing? I can do that," says the Captain, running his thumb along the edge of his axe. "But stay close. If the men are injured, we may need your magic."

A moment later, another salvo of ice blocks falls into the water behind you. They miss the ship, but are close enough that cold water splashes over the sternpost.


What the hell happened, anyway?:

It's pretty simple. You sailed into a bank of dense fog. Then something huge began bellowing and roaring in the fog ahead of you. The Captain quite sensibly turned the ship to flee. But he just realized that fleeing will take the Frosthamar onto a set of deadly reefs.

OOG, I rolled an encounter.


Jax Naismith wrote:
Darn, too bad he can't use his tail right about now for holding it!

There's not a "prehensile tail" tiefling feat? Huh.

I guess the standard tiefling tail is something like a cat's tail -- good for expressing emotion, and helpful for balancing (adding into the +2 Dex) but it can't actually pick things up or hold them.


Cуровую зиму wrote:


Survival d20 +8

Edit - Yaay

Survival: the water around you is extremely cold. Characters without cold resistance will probably die within minutes, even if they can swim. Characters with cold resistance (like yourself) will get to enjoy a more drawn-out, leisurely death by exhaustion and drowning.


The roaring in the fog is getting closer. And now you can hear that it's not just roaring. There are words. It's some sort of language.

Some of you seem to have skipped a language or two on your character sheets. Can you go and check which languages you have, and post them here? It would be helpful.


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

common and infernal

As you say.

Xen steps away from the captain, possibly where he does not hear. Here your items, Heward would want you to have these if I fall.

Xenfal moves across the deck rifling in his pack and he gives Dren his MW tools. these better come back my creapy friend.


Jax cocks his head. "Wait a moment. It... it's talking..." The rest of you stare at him blankly. It may be talking, but it's just bellowing gibberish as far as you're concerned.

Jax only:

The huge voice is speaking Abyssal. It's not a language that Jax is used to hearing people actually converse with! He studied it as part of his magical studies, and found he had an innate knack for it... almost as if it were, you know, in his blood. But hearing it yelled across a frozen northern ocean is something else again.

Right now you can only make out part of what the voice is bellowing...

...OF SERVANT-MINE, DARE YOU... COME/APPROACH THEN... CRUSH (YOU) AND... DECORATE...

Jax if he can make a DC 15 Perception check:

The Captain is standing and listening intently. You have the clear impression that he also understands what the voice is saying.


A moment later, the Frosthamar sails into a clear space in the fog. Visibility jumps from a few feet to a couple of hundred feet! And now you can see what's making all that noise.

In the center of the clearing is an iceberg. (The exact center. It's like there's a 200' clear area around it, and then the fog bank again.) It's bluish-white ice, and after a moment you realize that it's moving towards you: it's pushing up a bow wave, a creamy line of white water around its forward edge. Some small winged creatures are fluttering around its peak.

But that's not what's striking about the iceberg. No, what claims your attention is that this particular iceberg has a face on it. An angry face.

The iceberg opens its mouth and roars in rage as it bears down on the Frosthamar.


M Tiefling Magus/Rogue;
Statistics:
HP 169/169; AC:37/21/29; Saves: +22/+23/+20; Init +10; Per +28(See Invisibility), CMD 42
Misc:
Effects: Resist Cold 30, Fly 30', Telepathic Bond
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
Jax Naismith wrote:
Darn, too bad he can't use his tail right about now for holding it!

There's not a "prehensile tail" tiefling feat? Huh.

I guess the standard tiefling tail is something like a cat's tail -- good for expressing emotion, and helpful for balancing (adding into the +2 Dex) but it can't actually pick things up or hold them.

It is prehensile, but he's alter-shaped into a human for the trip! There's an alternate racial that lets you hold a single small item with the tail.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 perception

That's an iceberg..with a face. Screaming demonic languages. Captain do you have any idea what it is or how to make it go away? How do we even fight an iceberg!

Jax could talk to it..but he doesn't need to give away that he knows what it said yet.


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

"This is not good. Not good at all."

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Edmin grabs Ragnar by the collar and grabs hold of the rail.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
The iceberg opens its mouth and roars in rage as it bears down on the Frosthamar.

Did I miss the level up? I'm still level 3, that thing looks like it's well above my CR. The mountain that swims I presume.

It's below decks for Cуровую.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge calls below using Message:
Cy, we might need some of your Fire power for this one.

How far away is the Iceberg? Close enough to drop a fire elemental on it?


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

Knowledge(Arcane, local, nobility, religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 <-- Any clue what this is?


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Helen, you might want to get nimpy and Dren into the Captain's quarters, you are not going to have much time. Get in take a look and get out.

Xen says through his message to Zimu.


The Frosthamar is now sailing directly towards the iceberg-thing.

Zimu, the moment you step below decks, your legs are seized around the knees! It's First Mate Yngvi. He's kneeling on the deck and clutching you in terror.

"The Captain is mad! Mad! He's sailing us straight towards that... thing! You have to stop him!" Yngvi turns his terrified, tear-streaked face up to you. "He's always been insane! But this time he's going to kill us all!"


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

'Indeed, this madness! But who could take over the ship? Who has the skill? The strength? The loyalty of the crew?'

Cуровую will step ten feet away from the first mate, then while he is preoccupied and not looking at her, discreetly cast Charm Person on the first mate.

DC 17 with Feat and Trait

'Surely only you can take the reigns of command! You have the love and respect of the crew! You have the skill and foresight! Save us all and I am sure the men will rally to you captain Yngvi! Great wealth from this voyage and patronage from our benefactor, this very ship will all be yours!'


Ha! Okay, Will save for Yngvi. 1d20 ⇒ 12 Nope!

"Buh... buh... but, Lady! The C-captain would, he would... no, no, I can't! You have to help me!" The first mate is blubbering incoherently, tears and snot running down his face as he babbles in terror. "You, he's too, I can't, you have to!!"

You have Charmed Yngvi, so he likes you and is receptive to what you say. But he's still a cowardly little squirm. To make someone act in a way that's inconsistent with their underlying personality requires more powerful magic, like Dominate.


Meanwhile, up abovedecks,the iceberg is roaring and bellowing.

Jax only:

THINGS-PUNY! NOBODY KILLS MY (SERVANT/SLAVE/SMALL PIN OR CLIP) AND (ESCAPES/LEAKS/HANGS A COAT) TO (BRAG/BOAST/SOFTLY TINKLE)! I (DESPISE/LOATHE/ENCOMPASS/ENGRAVE) YOU! PREPARE TO MEET YOUR (AGONIZING DEATH/BAD POETRY)!!

I think I mentioned that Abyssal is rich in synonyms, right?


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Judge, you might want my skills if we get close enough to the creature, the cabin can be handled by someone who can contribute little but I will go if you wish. he whispers.

Dren gives the creature a hard once over before going anywhere, hoping to see if he remembers the creature from one of his masters books...
knowledge planes 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 if it is Arcana it would be one less. Should get a CR12 creature or less.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)

Jax want to share what's going on please? No rush. Just before the iceberg eats us and all.

Through the Message to the group, but the Judge and Jax in particular,

'I have influence over the first mate for the next couple of hours, should we live long enough, but let us deal with the immediate chain of events, I am open to suggestions for this situation.'

I can cast Message over three people, normally it would be the Judge (as leader du jur), Edmin (as champion) and the third would be the 'scout' of the group or the healer of the group (to direct them where they are most needed). But since the Judge, Jax and Xen are all currently using Message we'll say it's those three. If we make it to level 6 I will be able to get the whole group.


Female Aasimar Wizard 6 (HP 53/53; AC 18/18/15; CMD 16 Fort +5; Ref +7 Will +8; Init +3; Perception +11; Darkvision 60 ft)
Douglas Muir 406 wrote:
What the hell happened anyway?

Who is allowed to read the spoiler?


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge responds back to Dren: We need someone below with the halfling. Your healing skills will undoubtedly be needed soon, but for now this creature appears to be a mass of ice and I do not know if it even has a mind you could affect. I want Jax and Edmin on deck supported by myself, Cy and Xen. Dren, you get that halfling and get into the captain's chambers when I give the go. We will have little time. Dren, take Jax's tools to get that door open.

Linguistics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 <-- do I have any clue what language this is or what it is saying?


Zimu, anyone can read that spoiler.

Woo, Judge got a nat 20 on Linguistics. Well,

Judge:
the thing is roaring in Abyssal -- you don't speak it, but you recognize it. And someone is about to reply to it in Abyssal, too...


Suddenly, Captain Odenkirk stands up in the bow and begins yelling back at the thing. It's a language you don't know -- guttural and slobbery sounding, full of long drawn out vowels and sudden plosives.

Judge:

Yeah, Abyssal. Who knew the Captain had such mad language skillz?

Jax:

"You miserable pile of dirty slush! You dare to threaten me? Get out of our way or be destroyed!"

Actually it's more like "(miserable/pathetic/gaseous) pile of dirty (slush/juice drink with pulp/sentimentality/table)" and so forth. But you get the idea.


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge whispers to the others:
Most interesting. The creature speaks the language of demons. And even more interesting, so does our not-so-good captain.


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

Dren shrugs and then heads down stairs and looks around to see if all hands are upstairs...


Vitals:
LD14, Cav 1 INIT:+4, AC:34 (39)/FF:33/T:16, HP:283/216, F:+24 R:+14 W:+17, P: 10
Skills:
Bluff+8,Climb+12,Dip+8,Disg+8,Han An+9,Intim+30,Kn(Nobil)+18,Kn(relig)+8,Perc+10,Ride+10,Spellc+4,Surv+6,Stea lth+8

Edmin grips his ax and prepares to jump ship if indeed the captain rams the iceberg.


"He's insane! He's going to kill us all! You have to stop him!"


Male Vampire(former Dhampir) Bard(Negotiator) 13/Anti-Paladin/2 - [HP 209/231; AC43,FF36,T22; CMD32; DR/10 magic+silver; F+28,R+29,W+26; Per+31; Init +12]

The Judge calls to the Captain:
There is not much money to be made if your ship and your cargo are at the bottom of the ocean?


Male Human Oracle (FC) 15 Init: +8 Perc: +0 AC:24/14/20 F:+13 R:+14 W:+15 HP:124/124 Freedom of movement, Resist Cold/30, Air Walk 30'

If no one is downstirs Dren releases Nimpy and places Guidance on him before he tries to open the door, Up for another attempt Nimpy? We have a little time to do a quick search.


Dren of the Dark Tapestry wrote:
If no one is downstirs Dren releases Nimpy and places Guidance on him before he tries to open the door,

First Mate Yngvi is downstairs -- he fled here in terror. He is currently cringing, whimpering, and clutching Zimu around the knees.


Whatever the Captain said to the iceberg seems to have upset it.

RRRRAAAARRRRR HURK HUK HUK The thing opens its enormous icy mouth and coughs out half a dozen ice chunks. 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 hit the Frosthamar. 1d100 ⇒ 841d100 ⇒ 13 One of them hits someone! 1d12 ⇒ 10 A sailor! 1d20 ⇒ 3 failed his save... 3d10 ⇒ (9, 8, 3) = 20 Haakon the Red is smashed to the deck, there to lie motionless in a rapidly spreading puddle of blood.

"Witch-Man!" roars the Captain without turning around. "Heal!"


M DEAD KILLED BY DMDM Lore Warden 2/Arcane Duelist 3
Stats:
HP 4/45; AC 20(25 w def/CE)/16(21)/14; CMD 19; Init +5; Perception +4; Fort +7 (8 vs Poison), Ref +9, Will +3; Fire Res 1; BP 10/12; Spells Lvl 1 3/4 Initiative +5

Scowling Xen races over, if there is any sign of life he casts a CLW.

1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Well done! The dazed Haakon touches his chest (that had been shattered by the impact, ribs broken and flesh pulped) and looks at you in wonder.

"Back to work!" roars Captain Odenkirk, still without turning around.


And now the Captain is doing something unexpected: he is taking off his clothes. Only on his upper body, but given that it's well below freezing and you're sailing towards some sort of ice monster, it does seem a bit odd.

"Mad! Mad!" shrieks Yngvi.


The Captain begins roaring again in that strange, slobbery language.

Jax only:

"You pathetic refugee! Do you know who I am? I am a servant of great Teutha, life-sworn to her! Behold!"

The Captain pauses and seems to concentrate for a moment. He seems to swell slightly, and you can see veins bulging on his neck.

Jax only:

"See, idiot child of the ice! Behold her sign upon me!"

Anyone who is abovedecks (so, not Dren or Zimu) can roll a Perception check.

DC 18 Perception:

There's something in the air around the Captain... a faint, transparent, vaporous outline of some sort of... thing. It seems to have a large, bulbous body and a great many writhing arms.


Captain Odenkirk reaches into his belt pouch and pulls something out. It looks like some sort of small carving... perhaps a religious symbol? If you rolled well on the last perception check, you might get a glimpse of it. He launches into another speech in the strange language.

Jax only:
"Through Her, I serve the Great Mother! I am favored of the Two Queens, who are high in the Mother's court! Behold their favor!

[/b]"But first and foremost, I serve Her! And just as you would avenge your worthless servant, so would she avenge me! Foolish little ice spirit! Will you match yourself against the kraken?

[/b]"Now get out of my way, before I use you to make a cool drink![/b]

6,201 to 6,250 of 12,164 << first < prev | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Doug M's Way of the Wicked Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.