DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP

Game Master Franz Lunzer


1,001 to 1,050 of 2,500 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>

Gamemaster

1000 Posts! YAY!
I thought I posted the link to the map I made... Looks like the postmonster ate it.
Here it is again: Combat map


"Queslin, I understand your fear of dragons, but Kardok is no good to us dead. Xanda tossed him a spear so he could protect himself. If you don't like it, fine, but there are those of us who would rather have a live guide and potential ambassador than a dead "prisoner". I see it as simple as that."


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Agerron dismounts and casts shield of faith on himself, bringing his AC up to 19 for the next minute.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Branomonrik raised easily to pay for the Vaultkeepers blessing. He eats a small meal with the others after blessing it in the Vaultkeepers name and helps the others pick some useful items from the cart. Before climbing upto that damnable beast he bows his head "Mighty Adabar who watches over and guides civilized men, Lord we ask you to guide and bless us this day, we ask you imbue us with your might, oh lord. So we may go forth to do your work , All praise to the Vaultkeeper! " he says before nodding to the others "Are we ready? daylight is a wasting" As he prods the hated horse forward.


Michael walks over to Bran's horse leans in and whispers in its ear, "now be nice to the priest," before he mounts up on his own horse and heads off in the indicated direction. Stopping after a few feet he calls out to the Kobold, "Ride here?" and points at his horse as he offers a hand for the little dragon to join him if he wishes.


Gamemaster

Bran's horse enjoys the casual caress, and keeps really still while the dwarf mounts.
The Kobold looks at Michael in surprise, but shakes his head, probably guessing the question rightly.
_______________________________________________________________________

While the two men take preperations to meet the Mites on the battlefield, two of the small creatures storm towards them, raising something in their small hands. However, their small feet don't take them very far, and they only run about 20ft. foreward (leaving 70ft. in between you and them).
The third one, the one riding on something keeps where he was, bringing up a crossbow and takes aim at the easier target, the enormous Big Ern:
small light crossbow: 1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 1 - 2 = 4 damage 1d6 ⇒ 4
The bolt goes far off and doesn't even come close to Big Ern, and the Mite curses and reloads his crossbow.

I'm somehow unable to load the map in my mapmaking programm... Will try that again once I'm home.
Round 1:
* Agerron - 5
* Big Ern - 5
Round 2:
Mites - 15


Xanda calls to Kardok,

Draconic:
"Do you wish to ride with one of us? I understand if you think you walking and scouting is the better thing, though."
Smiling to every one she moves her horse into the line of others, letting the mounts decide their own 'pecking' order of march.


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Agerron draws his greatsword (move action #1), and yells to Big Ern, "Close the gap!" He takes another move towards the mites, intending on completing a charge next round.


Gamemaster

pushing Big Ern as he hasn't posted yet.

Big Ern grabs his Battleaxe from his horses saddle, and turns to stomp towards the small blueskinned creatures yelling some obscenities at them, throwing that one javelin he grabbed previously:
javelin throw to 40ft distance 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 3 - 2 = 18 damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
The javelin flies true and, from the force of the throw, pierces the clothes and hide of the small thing, pinning it to the ground, lifeless.
The mite doesn't even scream.

His companions though rush to action, the one up the hill shoots his crossbow again, and the other one races towards Agerron, brandishing his small dagger fiercly:
crossbow attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20 damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
small dagger, charge: 1d20 + 0 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 0 + 2 = 12 damage: 1d3 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
confirm crossbow attack critical: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 critical damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

While the small Mite attacking Agerron only achieves to annoy the man, the other Mite up the hill manages to hit Big Ern in his left upper leg, bringing him close to stumbling. The Mite shouts in delight, while loading his crossbow once again.

Round 2: Link to Map
* Agerron - 5 (14/14hp)
* Big Ern - 5 (8/14hp)
Round 3:
Mites - 15


Whoops...missed an update.

Big Ern snarls at the mite in front of him and bellows: "I'll take this one, you get the little bastard with the crossbow!"

He winds up his greataxe for a strike...

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 131d12 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


Cheering you on, guys! =)


Gamemaster

yeah, my PBP-list is acting strangely as well...
As Bryan is in China, I'm taking the liberty of taking Agerron's action.

Having the Mite come to him, Agerron doesn't need to make a run for the small creature and simply swings his Greatsword at it:
greatsword 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 3) + 7 = 11
His swing is off though and misses the hideous blue thing.

That's not to worry though, as Big Ern comes to help him out. Agerron takes a quick step to the side and suddenly the Mite is outflanked.
Big Ern's swing of the Greataxe catches the unattentive Mite in the back, pretty much splitting it open shoulder to bottom, even though it wasn't nicely aimed. The force of the blow was big enough to even throw the small fey some feet away.

Now only one more Mite is alive, riding on something, 60-some feet away, up a hill. It's movement seems a bit more hectic now, aiming his crossbow at Big Ern again though:
1d1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8 damage 1d6 ⇒ 1
His arms have probably shaken a bit, seeing his brethren die in these acts of power Big Ern displayed.
Seeing another bolt fly far off, he throws down his crossbow and dismounts, drawing a short sword, yelling some more at Agerron and Big Ern in Undercommon.

Round 3: Map for Round 3
*Agerron - 5
*Big Ern - 5
Round 4:
Mite - 15


"So you think you can tussle with us, huh? Well, let's throw down then!"

Big Ern drinks his elixir of Shield and starts lumbering forward to the attack.

use Shield formula + move; +4 to AC


Gamemaster

"They fell easy enough, the rest of their lair is gonna be a cakewalk, hu?" Agerron jokes, swinging his greatsword dramatically while moving on toward the last Mite and the thing it rode.

Getting closer to the small blue fey, you finally realize what it was that the Mite rode: a giant centipede!
Yelling some more and pointing at the humans, the Mite seems to order the vermin to attack, and the thing obliged.
It rushes foreward on it's many legs, it's jaws dripping, heading towards Big Ern.
bite 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18 damage 1d6 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

Had the big man not just drank his potion, the bite would have met up with his flesh, but so the jaws of the beast are stopped by the invisible shield in front of him.

The remaining Mite takes some steps backwards in the meantime, but keeps his eyes affixed at Agerron. When the human looks at him, his eyes bulge hideously open and a feeling of horrible dread washes over the man.
Will save DC 10

Round 4: Map
*Agerron - 5 (14/14hp)
*Big Ern - 5 (8/14hp)
Round 5:
Giant centipede - 18
Mite - 15


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

will save 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Agerron just barely shakes off the feeling of dread, and swings his sword at the dangerous vermin, feeling the poison of the creature's fangs is a bigger threat than the small fey's magical abilities.

attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (6, 5) + 7 = 18
crit confirm 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (2, 5) + 7 = 14

EDIT: how's that for a return post?


Big Ern starts frothing at the mouth as he screams and chops at the nearest foe.

rage: +4 Str/Con, -2 AC

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 91d12 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

One guy gets a 20, the other gets a 1...


Gamemaster

Welcome back Agerron.

The doom the Mite would have brought upon Agerron doesn't linger and just angers the man.
He steps over to the giant centipede, and with a powerful overhand chop breaks the vermin's shell and innards spill the ground in front of Agerron and Big Ern.

Only one enemy standing, Big Ern charges over to the mite, but his swing with the battleaxe is off and hits only the ground besides the small blueskinned creature.

The Mite screams in surprise, hatred and furiousness, then raises his short sword over his head to strike it at the big man in front of him.
Short sword: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18 damage 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Though his swing is good, Big Ern's magical concotion protects him from the blade.

Round 5:
*Agerron - 5 (14/14hp) 25ft. from Mite
*Big Ern - 5 (8/14hp) adjacent to Mite
Round 6:
Mite - 15


Ern keeps raging incoherently as he swings at the mite.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d12 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Agerron charges at the fey, hoping to end the fight quickly.

attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 1) + 7 = 13


*Put on short skirt and pom-poms* Go team! Go team! Go team! GO! =)


Gamemaster

While Big Ern's swing goes amiss again, Agerron runs the small creature through his sword sticking out at the back.
The Mite coughs, blood seeping out his mouth and slowly dripping out at the front and back of his upper body, until he falls, pulling free of the blade.

You are once more alone, the small band of Mites is dealt with.
Your horses grazing a bit further north, on top the other small hill (they strode a bit away from the dead mites).

These Mites are dead or unconscious. What's next?
You estimate to be about another hour away from the Mites lair.

-----------------------------------------------

About 10 miles north, a group consisting of Branomonrik, Majet, Michael, Queslin and Xanda make their way south as well, now at about double the speed they had the day before.
Devlin and Delfey, accompanied by Taras and Kay bring the cart Xanda had north to Oleg's. Kay has been tasked by Michael to watch Taras and keep him away from Oleg as much as possible.
Your ride thus far is uneventful, though not boring.
Kardok finally took the opportunity to ride with Xanda, as to not slow the group further down, him being the last on his own feet.


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Agerron takes the time to make sure none of the mites are unconscious any longer, sticking his sword through the chest of each one. He'll wipe his blade clean on one of them, and then comment, "Well, that wasn't too hard. At least for those of us able to actually hit 'em." The last part is said with a grin, and a hearty slap on Big Ern's back. He'll take a moment to cast cure light wounds on Ern as well.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

He then begins checking the bodies for anything of value.


Big Ern starts puffing and wheezing as his battle frenzy ends. "Yup, easy as pie, although I wish those little bastards would stand still so I can chop 'em. Now we just gotta do that three or four more times. Thanks for the healing, by the way."

He rummages around the corpses of the mites, confiscating any weapons they have and looking for any loose coins.

What time of day is it again?


Gamemaster

It's about quarter past 8am. An hour and some after you broke camp.

Collecting the weapons and anything moneylike you quickly gather 2 small daggers, a dozen small darts the Mites didn't came to use, the small shortsword and small light crossbow the riding Mite had. This one also had a small studded leather armor on him, while the others just wore some sort of coat.
The apparent leader also had a flask on him, a clear glass vial, with a dark red fluid in it. Probably a potion of some sort.
As for coinage, you don't find much, but it ammounts to 7gp, 15sp, 20 cp in various mints from the River Kingdoms to the south and west, to the coins minted in Brevoy.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

Branomonrik rides along with the other,Adabars blessing on Micheal he thinks as what ever the man said this damndable beast seems to be minding more today, even if his backside would still be sore after. If it wasn't so sensible to ride the damned thing he would rather walk with his own two legs, or ride in a nice padded cart, but ah that was far away from cart land around here. he mused, as they made their way toward the mite lair.


Xanda uses the time riding along with Kardok to help the Kobold with his speaking of common.


F Gnome Alchamist 2

Majet spends most of the journey apparently in deep thought.


Big Ern checks for tracks (is there snow on the ground?) that he can follow back to the mites base. If he can't find any, he'll take his best guess.

"Let's move out, partner!"


Gamemaster

Snow is mostly gone, but is found more often on north-facing slopes.
The giant centipede left a bit of a trail, though it isn't much. With a bit of luck you might be able to follow it (Survival DC 12).


Big Ern will take 10 on his Survival check, if that's allowed (result = 13, Agerron can try to aid another too).


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

Agerron also looks for tracks in an attempt to assist Ern.

survival 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

EDIT: heh, and mistakes his own footprints for those of the mites ...


Gamemaster

Even though Agerron wants to lead the two man back north, Big Ern points out that those trails Agerron wanted to follow were the ones their horses made.
On horseback the two rode back to the corpse of the centipede, and backtracked from there.
It leads them towards a strange form on the horizon, rising above the hills, that can be seen from miles away.

Coming closer to that thing you eventually think it to be an enormous tree. Judging by the distance between you and the tree you estimate it to be about 100 foot in height.

After following the tracks about an hour you see the huge tree better, its dull grey bork indicating that its close to its own winter.
At that time you notice some more trails in the surroundings. They crisscross the countryside, some likely from a giant Centipede (could be the same one, hard to tell), some more from Mites, some even from Kobolds.

What's the plan now. You are about another quarter of an hour from the tree, and the trail seems to lead directly to it.

------------------------------------

At the same time around half past 9am, eight and some miles to the north, the other team rides on their horses, pressing the dog carying Majet to the highest possible speed.
Given by the distance Kardok spoke of and their progress, some of you calculate that Agerron and Big Ern about now reach the lair of the Mites.

Speaking of whitch, Kardok explains that the entrance to the lair is not that easily found, as there is only one way in and out, and it's small and hidden among the roots of the huge tree.


So is the tree surrounded by forest, or is it isolated?


Xanda cheerfully translates Kardok's words to those who cannot understand the tongue of Dragons. She asks about the entrance. Obviously it would be a Mite sized hole, but how might the little creatures have camouflaged it?


male High Elf Ranger 1 | AC: 16 T:13 F:13| HP: 12/12| Fort: +3 Ref: +6 Will -1 | Perc: +6 | Init: +4

No need to camouflage it. The roots could make it plenty difficult to see.


Gamemaster

It's one monument of a single tree, with only 3 much smaller, much younger trees nearby, standing in the shadow of the large one. They aren't quite saplings, and they seem almost 'ill'.
Probably the older tree didn't give them enough room/light/ressources to live.

----------------------------------------

Kardok pretty much confirms Queslins statement.
Draconic, translated by Xanda:
"It's not much more than a hole in the ground, under a thick root. Under the old sycamore are many of such holes like that, but only one of them leads to the Mites.
They inhabit a small complex of about half a dozen 'rooms'."


After translating for Kardok, Xanda sighs,

"Ah, the fun of being going into a hole in the ground for much fun." She comments with a rueful smile.


"So here's my plan, Killer," Big Ern suggests. "Howsabout we light fire to that big ol' tree, and see if those mites come rushing out to see what's going on. And then KAPOW!"


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
Big Ern wrote:
"So here's my plan, Killer," Big Ern suggests. "Howsabout we light fire to that big ol' tree, and see if those mites come rushing out to see what's going on. And then KAPOW!"

Agerron smiles. "And I guess you've got just the thing to light 'er up, eh? Yeah, let's do that!"


Gamemaster

So, how are you planing to set it on fire?


The old-fashioned way: chop up some firewood and light it up with a tinderbox. It might take a while, of course.


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2

We can work together to gather some wood, but one should stand guard while the other sets the flame. I would hate to be caught by surprise, here.


Gamemaster

Few minutes later, the sound of wood chopping can be heard around, as Big Ern swings his battleaxe at the first smaller tree.
Though his axe isn't the best equipment against this opponent, it being intended to be aimed at more traditional foes, the blade being thinner than those fabricated to for woodcutting, it gets the man through the tree in just under half an hour.

Chopping the wood into smaller, handleable pieces to light up is another task, taking up a good portion of the day. No Mite can be seen during that time.

Later that day, in the afternoon, the other team arrives at the old sycamore.

Back together at one place.
It's about 3pm now.


Big Ern piles the wood in a few spots around the trunk of the great tree, lights them on fire with his tinderbox, and retreats a hundred yards, drawing his bow and waiting for targets.

"Just like roasting sausages, eh Killer?"


Male Human (Kellid) Oracle 2
Big Ern wrote:

Big Ern piles the wood in a few spots around the trunk of the great tree, lights them on fire with his tinderbox, and retreats a hundred yards, drawing his bow and waiting for targets.

"Just like roasting sausages, eh Killer?"

Agerron keeps his bow ready while Ern piles the wood, and his eyes open. As the flames begin to lick the tree, he replies, "Well, maybe a bit more like rabbits."


As they approach from the distance and being able to see the huge tree from almost miles away.

Perception:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Xanda looks about intently for signs of anything else.


Michael shifts in his saddle and asks, "doesn't smoke rise?" answering him self he adds, "so all those two are doing is building a convenient signal fire for any bandits in the area?"


Xanda raises a hand to shield her eyes from the day's sun as she frowns.

"I admit to having little knowing of what they try and do. The great tree looks dead...if it be hollow....then is it not smoke and fire going to be going up, just like a chimney?" She asks. Though at Michael's comment she looks around. She grins.

"If bandits do come to see smoke, we save time by not having to chase them, yes?"


F Gnome Alchamist 2
Michael the Bastard wrote:
Michael shifts in his saddle and asks, "doesn't smoke rise?" answering him self he adds, "so all those two are doing is building a convenient signal fire for any bandits in the area?"

"Ern never was the sharpest knife in the box" Majet respondes


Male Dwarf Cleric of Abadar 2

"Adabar save us from fools and barbarians" Branomonrik says under his breath. 'Do we go stop the fools or watch?" He says looking to the others.

1,001 to 1,050 of 2,500 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Sothal's Kingmaker PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.