DM RichD's Giantslayer Campaign

Game Master Briccone

GiantSlayer Book 3: Forge of the Giant God
Part 2: Minderhal's Valley

The heroes make their way through the remote valley where the Storm Tyrant is gathering his army, facing a variety of giants and other beasts. Along the way, they have the opportunity to gather the components necessary for relighting the sacred forge in the Cathedral of Minderhal.


1,551 to 1,600 of 3,688 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>

Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

I believe that it counts as a strenous action BB. IF you want you could move behind Kurag though to get cover

Seeing Bormann shift across from him flanking the skeleton Kurag brings the greatclub down hoping for a solid hit in a weakened area.

attack 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 for 1d12 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 3 + (3) = 8 blah


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 4

BB stands perfectly still hoping not to draw the skeleton's attention. Kurag tries to smack the giant with his club, but misses.

Up Next: Sergei & Greta


Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord) 4 (HP 52/52) (AC 26/11/25) (CMD 19) (Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +6) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Sergei continues to focus on defense.

Total Defense.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta swings away! Whackadoo!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 damage!


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 4 Con't

Geta chips a piece of bone off.

Sergei continues to weave as the undead skeleton continues to try to spear the dwarf with his spear finding its mark against the weaving dwarf and he falls to the ground.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Attack 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 1) + 9 = 15

Up Next: Bormann


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

With two companions pretty much out of the fight (and Sergei looking particularly bad), Bormann tightens his grip on his axe and chops away at the skeleton again.

greataxe: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11

drat


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Assuming we are all up even if it Bormann's turn...

Torn between attacking and keeping his companions alive Kurag sees BB just waving on his feet. After Sergei got knocked down the decision was made. Pulling the wand free he taps BB with it. He then holds it off to Greta to use on Sergei as he steps back a pace to let BB into a flanking position with Bormann.

cure light wounds on BB1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 2 uses left

Man the dice roller is killing us right now. At least BB can attack again without going negative.

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

BB straightens up. "Thanks Kurag. Let's make this quick, before this giant turns us into paste."


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 4

Bormann axe misses bone.

Round 5
BB Beetle 15(0/21)**WOUNDED**
Greta Bolkasdottir 15(20/27)WOUNDED
Dire Shadow Rat 14(0/11)DEAD
Kurag Urlot III 11(8/28)**WOUNDED**
Sergei von Janderhoff 11(-10/39)**DYING**,-2 Strength
Uskroth’s Guardian 9(24/45) WOUNDED
Bormann Grimm 3(24/45)WOUNDED

Kurag heals BB putting him back in the fight.

Up Next: Greta & BB

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

"Somebody save Sergei, quick!" BB plants his feet and swings twice. "For Trunau!"

Flurry 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Flurry 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Eventuallt we will whittle him down. Just need a couple of good solid hits from us and him to miss.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Great swings for the fences! WHAM!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 for Wake me up before you go-go: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

15 more to go!! Just need a miss by the big nasty.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

DM Rolls:
1=BB,2=Bormann,3=Greta,4=Kurag pick: 1d4 ⇒ 4

With so many little targets running around, the giant skeleton picks the one holding the club.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Attack 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Kurag easily sidesteps the skeleton.

Next up: Bormann

Yep. 15 to go!


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"URRRRAGH!" Bormann puts a bit more umph into his swings in order to try to bring the skeleton fight to a close.

greataxe+power attack: 1d20 + 6 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 2 - 1 = 17
damage+power attack: 1d12 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Wondering if Sergei stabilized. That will determine Kurag's action of using the wand or attacking.

if Sergei stabilizes:

Kurag moves to get an attack in on the giant as he steps into the corner by BB.
great club attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 if flank +2 for 1d12 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 if flank +1d6 ⇒ 1

if Sergei does not stabilize:

Kurag steps over behind Greta to use the second to last charge on the fallen dwarf before Sergei bleeds out.

cure light wound 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord) 4 (HP 52/52) (AC 26/11/25) (CMD 19) (Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +6) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Stabilise: 1d20 + 3 - 10 ⇒ (2) + 3 - 10 = -5.

Unsurprisingly, Sergei continues to haemorrhage...


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 5

Bormann takes another chip out of the skeleton. 11 more hp to go!

Round 6
BB Beetle 15(2/21)**WOUNDED**
Greta Bolkasdottir 15(20/27)WOUNDED
Dire Shadow Rat 14(0/11)DEAD
Kurag Urlot III 11(8/28)**WOUNDED**
Sergei von Janderhoff 11(-11/39)**DYING**,-2 Strength
Uskroth’s Guardian 9(11/45) WOUNDED
Bormann Grimm 3(24/45)WOUNDED

Kurag heals Sergei stopping the flow of his blood.

Up Next: Greta & BB

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

Phew BB relaxes slightly. At least the immediate threat is over.

BB slides over to AE26 so he is flanking with Bormann.

Flurry 1: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 2 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Flurry 2: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

"I'll move back down in a sec, Kurag- I think you'll have better luck than me!"


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Be back in the second now that Sergei is not in danger of visiting his great great grandfather.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta swings for the fences! Swing, Batta Batta!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 damage!


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Down to 7. Just need one more miss from the big guy. Or he hits Bormann or Greta as they have the hp to soak it up.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Round 6

BB tries to strike the skeleton, but misses. Greta takes another chunk out of it.

The skeleton knows that Bormann will hit him next so he tries to put the dwarf down.

Attack 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Attack 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Damage 1: 2d6 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (2, 6) + 9 - 1 = 16
Damage 2: 2d6 + 9 - 1 ⇒ (4, 5) + 9 - 1 = 17

Bormann falls to the ground.

All right BB, Greta and Kurag. Can someone hit this thing for 7HP AC 17?

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

I'm trying, I promise!

BB takes a five foot step to the side and kicks at the skeleton's shins once more.

Flurry 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Flurry 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

He manages to get one good hit in. "We'll save you soon, Bormann!"


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

3 HP left! This is a real nail-biter! Will it be Kurag or Greta?


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta swings again, calling her shot like Babe Ruth! SWING!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 for DAMMAGE!: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
I'M A-COMING, MAUDE: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 for DAMMAGE!: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

Swing Batta Batta, SWING!


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Kurag sees Bormann fall to the ground and stares in disbelief at the skeletal monstrosity. This thing just would not go down. Then in a flurry of blows Bb hits him once to take out the leg while Greta finishes the creature off with a well placed blow as well. Rushing past the falling skeleton Kurag taps Bormann on the shoulder one last time with the wand hoping he is not too late.

Cure lt wounds 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

BB punches the skeleton causing it to fall to the ground. Greta then brings her mace down shattering the skull!

I think Greta need to change her name to 'Skeleton-Cruncher'!

Out of Round mode.

Sergei and Bormann are both stabilized. Sergei @ -9 and Bormann @ -2

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

"Oh man, that was rough!" BB drops to one knee, still burnt and bruised. "We've fought long and hard, gal and guys, but I think we're done for now. Let's bring our friends back for assistance and the orc for justice. He's got a lot of questions to answer about the attack."


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta uses her Rebuke Death power on Sergei for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 healing and on Bormann for 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 healing. Per the rules, I can use it on Sergei again, as he's still under 0 HP. Sergei: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 more healing and again Healing for Sergei: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Consciousness returns to Bormann but it comes with a fog of pain and weariness. "Today has been a long day. Are we finally done with our labors?" he says as he slowly regains his feet.
Though the fighting has been tough, Bormann looks about and feels a sense of satisfaction. The town seems safe for the moment, the orcs of the region have hopefully learned a valuable lesson, and the dwarven trade mission seems to have successfully earned the respect of the town.


Male Dwarf Paladin (Stonelord) 4 (HP 52/52) (AC 26/11/25) (CMD 19) (Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +6) (Init +1) (Perception +9)

Sergei groans.

"That was painful. I sincerely hope that there is nothing else hostile down here..."

Staggering to his feet, Sergei collects his weapon, then helps the others loot the place.


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Taking a look around the other entrance, you see it leads back to the chamber that you started in. You all breathe a collected sigh of relief with the realization that you have battled all comers and are now victorious!

Searching the Skeleton you find the following:
Giant-Sized Masterwork Chainmail,
Giant-Sized Broken Spear

Searching the other skeletons you find the following:
12 Giant-sized spears (3 of them MWK),
six suits of Large medium or heavy armor (two are masterwork),
and 1,600-gp worth of Large adventuring gear.

As Kurag searches the chests and vases he finds:
The chests, vases, and other containers piled around Uskroth’s
funerary spire are overflowing with coins, gemstones, jewelry, and other fineries worth a total of 1,300 gp.

In addition, scattered among the treasure are several items valuable in their own right, including a masterwork breastplate, a suit of masterwork splint mail,
four +1 human-bane arrows,
13 adamantine crossbow bolts,
a masterwork orc double axe,
a heavyload belt,
a scroll of phantasmal killer,
a scroll of tongues,
a wand of inflict moderate wounds with 7 charges remaining.

As Bormann climbs the skeleton to remove the armor, a curious thing happens. The armour resizes itself to fit a medium creature!

@Bormann:
Uskroth’s Armor:This battered, well-used suit of +1 half-plate automatically resizes itself to match the size of its wearer. Once per day on command, the armor can bestow upon its wearer the effects of righteous might for 5 rounds. The wearer’s alignment determines the DR gained from this ability. A good wearer gains DR 5/evil, an evil wearer gains DR 5/good, and a wearer who is neither good nor evil chooses which DR to gain the first time she activates this ability—once chosen, it cannot be changed.

Bormann with hope in his eyes, next grabs the hammer.

@Bormann:
Agrimmosh appears to be a simple stone blacksmith’s hammer engraved with Minderhal’s holy symbol. It functions as a +2 impact warhammer that automatically resizes itself to match the size of its wielder. Once per day as a full-round action, the wielder of Agrimmosh can use the hammer to cast heightened enlarge person (Fortitude DC 23 negates). This effect lasts for 20 minutes. Whenever the wielder of Agrimmosh confrms a critical hit against a creature of
the humanoid type, the target creature must succeed at a DC 23 Fortitude save or shrink by one size category, as by heightened reduce person. This effect lasts for 20 minutes.

Bormann next grabs the geode from the eye socket.

@Bormann:
The rock lodged in Uskroth’s eye socket is no simple stone. Removing the fist-sized hunk of dark, igneous rock and examining its other side reveals it to be a magnificent geode whose rich violet and verdant emerald crystals form glittering crystalline patterns.

DC 28 Appraise or Knowledge (dungeoneering):
Reveals the geode to be a spectacular pleochroic variety of tourmaline, the nearest known deposits of which lie in the Mindspin Mountains to the south and west.

DC 20 Knowledge(geography) or DC 24 Knowledge (local):
Reveals that the geode’s structure is no fluke of nature; the geode’s crystalline valleys and mounds reflect the exact topography of the Mindspin Mountains, and a carved groove along the mountains seems to indicate a trail through the mountain range.

As you exit the cavern looking near-death, the militia that have gathered bow before you before letting out cheers. They hoist you up on their shoulders and carry you to town (Skreed is unceremoniously dragged). Cheers erupt from the townsfolk as you pass. Tired, worn-out priests tap you with mostly depleted wands healing your wounds. Some cleric casts a restoration on Sergei. You are carried to your rooms at the boardinghouse for some much needed rest. Cham offers to comp your stay and even offers rooms to Kurag and Greta so the heroes can get some undisturbed rest.

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

Appraise: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
"Let me see that geode... Wow! Tourmaline, it's pleochroic." BB turns and tilts the geode at various angles and directions. "See how it changes color based on your viewing angle? The nearest deposits are in Mindspin Mountains to the south and west. Good haul!"

K. Geography: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
"That's about all I know, though."

The townsfolk lift and carry BB through the town to the inn. He couldn't be happier- wait he was healed, too. He's even happier!

"That would be great. Thanks Cham!" BB heads to his room. He's glad to see a bed. "Woo, I haven't slept on something soft in days- seems like every inn I come across is always full!"

Dibs on the phantasmal killer scroll! Since only I can cast it...


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Kurag marveled at Greta's ability to bring Sergei and Bormann back around to the land of the living. That is a mighty powerful gift you have there Greta. Books has her eyes upon you that is for sure. Thankfully she must have her eyes on all of us to see us through such a day and night. Never before have I seen such sights and experienced such brutal fighting.

When Bormann and Sergei get to their feet Kurag claps them both gently on the back. Amazing job both of you. Yu stood two to toe with that behemoth and with Greta's last swing she killed it and you two are still alive to tell the tale. If you are feeling up to it let us grab these treasures and that blasted halforc and return to the surface.

Kurag then evaluates the treasures before him checking for traps as he does so. There is a king's ransom in here. We all should be so lucky to discover such items and wealth. Before Kurag could claim any of the items for himself though he had to make sure that these were not Trunau's property. If the elders see fit to grant us discovery rights then I would like to have those arrows and perhaps some of the money for some purchases. The rest of the items themselves I don't really need as the armor a look too heavy and the weapons too large to suit my tastes. That belt could be interesting though.

Once outside Kurag is surprised to see the majority of the townsfolk there. Bursting in a grin he turns to look at those gathered. I take it the orcs are retreating and Trunau is save for now? Praise the gods that we held me back. Before anyone could reach for him and pick him up Kurag shook his head no. I thank you for the praise but before we get too carried away what was the cost to us? How many of our people have we lost this fateful night?

When the number is finally told to him Kurag takes a minute of silence for each of the fallen. He stands at the edge of the Hopespring in silent tribute to the fallen. Then he lets himself be swept away with the survivors of the fight.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann's spirits, already made keen through success in battle, are further buoyed by the healing and accolades. "This will make for a glorious song for all of Trunau and the valor shown this day!" he shouts to the townsfolk. And as he's carried back to the inn, he will sing as many raucous orc-slaying songs he knows.

Once back at the inn, before retiring, Bormann would like to unwind with some beer and lifts a toast to any of the fallen that the townsfolk care to name.


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

"Bolka is well-pleased that this village is safe again, I think. Love cannot flourish where fear holds sway. Still, I look forward to rest and prayer and not having to prop you lot up every time you fall!" She smiles and touches each of you briefly, as if checking that you're all steady and not about to fall over.

Once home, she comforts those who have lost loved ones as best she can, and smiles when thanked, saying that it was really the lads who deserve the thanks. That night, before she falls asleep, she gazes at the true-love's locket, wondering whose love is mourning tonight.


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

When there is some quiet time Kurag approaches the others to look at the geode that they found. BB, you said that this comes from the Mindspin Mountains. I wonder how it got here?

know geography 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
know local 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Taking a good look at it Kurag gets a bit excited by the geode. BB, guys take a look at this. If you hold the geode at this angle the crystalline valleys and mounds reflect the exact topography of the Mindspin Mountains. Also take a close look at this area here. This carved groove along the mountains seems to indicate a trail through the mountain range. I wonder how they managed to create this geode to replicate that?


NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Late the next morning, all of you are eating breakfast ('On the house! On the house!' Cham insisted). When Patrol Leader Jagrin Grath approaches the table. He motions to an empty chair and sits when invited. He exhales deeply before he says, My son and I had our differences. I could never have accepted a half-orc in my family. Not before and not after last night. He pauses for a moment before continuing. But I loved my son and he and his brother have made me proud. That half-orc you all brought in, Skreed was it? Well after some persuasion finally talked and he spilled the whole story. Using his face tattoo, he entered town as a human and stayed here. Cham who was bringing a pitcher of freshly squeezed orange juice drops it on the floor and runs out of the room. Jargin watches the woman flee, shrugs and continues. Grenseldek, some sort of giant leader, sent this Skreed and some others into town to find the tomb of some hill giant hero named Uskroth and recover his favored hammer Agrimmosh and a family heirloom that supposedly serves as a map to the resting place of a famed giantslayer, Nargrym Steelhand. Skreed communicated with the giantess through a pair of troll sisters. He would send his envoy Daktani, who you also captured, to meet with the sisters and update them on his progress at the Plague House. It was during one of meetings that Rodrik discovered them and before he could investigate further, Skreed killed him and made it look like suicide. He pauses again to catch his breath as tears start glistering from his eyes. I am forever in your debt for proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that my boy died a hero. Please accept these amulets as a small token of my appreciation. He hands each of you with an amulet etched with the Grath family seal. Amulet of Natural Armor +1

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

BB carefully listens to Jargin's words. "How terrible..." BB shakes his head and looks dead on with the patrolman. "You never gave up hope on your son. Just like I'll never give up hope that I'll find my sister. You keep his memory strong, alright? Tell everyone of his sacrifice and his memory will live on forever."

Once the talk is over and they finish comforting the patrolman, BB notes to his fellow friends. "Kurag took a good look at the geode. That must be the map to this giantslayer fellow. And that weapon we found, the uh... Agrimmosh. I guess everything, the entire attack, was for that..." BB slams his hand against the table. "Why? I'll never understand why you would hurt so many people for these trinkets."


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

At Jagrin's approach Kurag stands quickly and gives the man a salute in honor of his station. Only after Jagrin sits does Kurag do likewise. He listens intently not wanting to interrupt the man as he speaks about what was learned from Skreed. Only when he was done did Kurag nod and smile knowingly. I believe that you are correct sir. There was a geode that was found that seemed to match the Mindspin Mountains perfectly. What it meant I had no idea until now though.

While you and your son may have had your differences neither of you has anything to be ashamed of. Keep the good memories you have of him and how he made you proud to be a father.

After receiving the amulet Kurag is deeply touched. It would be an honor sir to wear this seal. It means more than you know. With that Kurag takes the amulet and places it over his head but beneath his tunic to keep it safe.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

"I will wear this token of the Grath Clan with pride. It will defend my life as I defended the town of Trunau. You have my thanks, and any debt you feel is well discharged for my part."

Bormann reflects a bit on Skreed's mission. "Odd that a hill giant might have been entombed with a map to the grave of a famed giantslayer. Why not use that map to plunder and desecrate the Steelhand tomb?"


Female Dwarf Cleric 6; HP 51/51; AC 22, T 10, FF 22; F+6, R+2, W+8; CMB+6; CMD 16; Init +0, Perc +3; SM +7

Greta stands and hugs Jagrin. "We must look beyond the skin to the soul beneath, Jagrin. Your son understood that, better than the rest of us, I think. Thank you for your gift. I will wear it proudly."


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

We may never know why the geode ended up here. However it's discovery grants up a great chance and opportunity. We know that there is a giant that ordered the movements and this attack by the orcs. I say we use the geode to find Nargrym Steelhand's final resting place and with honor and respect to him use what we find there to stop this threat to Trunau.. Kurag looks at Jagrin, That is if the council deems it appropriate that I go.


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

Next day stuff but we can still talk the night before about the geode and with Jagrin.

RichD:
The next day after waking up in a fresh bed and getting a full meal Kurag takes his gear and approaches the Jagrin first. Honored elder and patrol leader, I have a request of you. During the fight in the caves below the Hopespring we found many rare and valuable items. I could not bring myself to deny the others after such a hard fought battle but I need to know if I may claim an equal share of the found goods. I do not know if the items are Trunau's by rights and thus the city's or if I may claim them as well. I do not know if there is a tax either on such finds. Your wisdom, guidance and knowledge would be most helpful in this situation.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NARRATOR CoT Map / GS Map / SS MAP/

Jargin smiles cryptically at Kurag, I belief Chief Defender Halgra wishes to discuss that with you soon.

Two days after the raid, the townsfolk gather together to honor their dead. The ceremony follows the same ceremony as Rodrik only with quite a few more names.

After the solemnity of the ceremony, Chief Defender Halgra takes the podium. She recognizes several members of the town recounting briefly their brave deeds. She then says, Before we disperse for the night, there are several visitors to this town who could have ran and hid or left town, but they stayed and made the fight their own. They helped secure the Inner Quarter, defeated a hill giant, discovered Uskroth’s tomb and brought Rodrik’s killer to justice. It is my great honor to make BB Beetle, Bormann Grimm, and Sergei von Janderhoff honorary members of the Trunau’s militia. At this Sara Morninghawk produces a tray with three hopeknives. Halgra smiles. Please present the hopeknives to your companions, Sergeant Kurag. Yes, I did say sergeant. Congratulations. She looks at Greta. I would like to make you First Medic of the Truuna militia. Congratulations. The town cheers wildly as the hopeknives are distributed.

After the ceremony Kurst approaches all of you and says that Chief Defender Halgra would like to see you all. You proceed to the Ivory Hall where you see Chief Defender Halgra and the Trunau council. Greetings militia members! She says warmly. I know you came here for trade negotiations, and I would like formulate a trade treaty, but I fear there is another favor I must ask of you. Since this hill giant chieftain Grenseldek did not recover the items she sought, we fear that Trunau is vulnerable to another attack. We would like to send you out to deal with the threat. We would normally deal with this ourselves, but our militia has lost many members and our defenses our shattered. Based on your bravery and skill, we believe you are the best for the job. Sergeant Kurag and First Medic Greta will accompany you as our representatives. We do not have much to pay you so we decided to let you keep the spoils from the tomb and any that you accumulated during the battle. If you convince this Grenseldek to leave Trunau alone, we can also pay you 1,500gp. We know that Grenseldek's lair is located at an abandoned outpost near the River Esk called Redlake Fort. I will now turn the floor over to Silvermane.

A still-bruised elf stands up and smiles broadly at you. He then begins an intricate series of hand signals that Halgra translates for you. My friends! Thank you for rescuing me! I am forever in your debt. At this the elf bows. There is a place called the Vault of Thorns, a demiplane created by the druidic Council of Thorns, of which I was once a member. The entrance to the Vault is located within Ghostlight Marsh, a swamp to the northeast surrounding the confluence of the Kestrel and Esk rivers. The Vault contains a cache of items that can help you in your fight against the Twisted Heart menace, though I can’t say what they are. To find the Vault of Thorns, you should look for a marker in the form of a circle of thorns carved into a stone near the banks of the River Esk. This marker will put you on the right path through the swamp to find the Vault, but the entrance to the demiplane is hidden. At this point, the elf produces an ancient, leaf-embossed brass lantern called a ghostlight lantern. Silvermane continues his sign language. If the husk of a dead will-o’-wisp is placed inside the lantern, the lamp will produce a beacon that points to the circle of standings tones that marks the Vault’s entrance. Once you reach the druidic circle, you need only wash the supernaturally fueled lantern’s light over the central standing stone to open the portal into the Vault of Thorns. The elf bows low and takes his seat.

Chief Defender Halgra rises and says, Hoping that you’ll accept, I have already secured passage for you aboard a keelboat that regularly plies the rivers of southern Belkzen. The riverboat’s captain, a half-orc named Raag Bloodtusk, has agreed to transport you to Ghostlight Marsh and then up the River Esk to a location near Redlake Fort in exchange for your efforts in helping sail the boat and defend it from any dangerous river denizens. Overland travel to Redlake Fort would be foolhardy and dangerous, as it would take you right through the orc-infested Hold of Belkzen. Bloodtusk’s riverboat, on the other hand, is well known among the orc tribes along the river, and the gladiator-turned-riverboat-captain enjoys rights of safe passage from these tribes’ chieftains, which makes a river journey far safer than traveling overland. Here is a letter of introduction to give to Bloodtusk, who is waiting for you on the southern bank of the Kestrel River. Please, for the sake of Trunau, accept this dangerous assignment. What say you?

Please feel free to roleplay here.

After you have accepted the assignment, High Priestess Tyari Varvatos stands up. The Sanctuary has been depleted of healing, but we did manage to find the following wands. A wand of cure critical with Charges: 1d5 ⇒ 3 charges, a wand of cure serious with Charges: 1d10 ⇒ 5 charges, a wand of cure moderate with Charges: 1d25 ⇒ 6 charges, and wand of cure light with Charges: 1d50 ⇒ 20 charges. Please feel free to keep the wands after your mission for then we should have more for the town, and if you are successful, we will not need them. she bows before sitting down.

Let me know when you are finighed leveling and purchasing and I’ll move the story forward.

Scarab Sages

Dwarf Male Wizard 6/Monk 1 | Stunning Fist 1/1 | Spells 4/4/4/3 | Conj Spells -/1/1/1 | Bonded Spell | 6/6 Acid Darts | |Filth Fever | Flaming Sphere (4 uses remain) HP 51/51 | AC 14(T 13 FF 13) | CMD 15 | Saves 7/4/9 | Init 0 | Perception 10

BB is thankful for the amulet, but he can't give up his own beetle shaped amulet. Helps him concentrate. He clutches onto it as a keepsake and instead asks if anyone can enchant his amulet to have the same properties.

With his newfound magical capacity, he seeks out scrolls of magic that he can study and add to his spellbook. Finally he seeks out masterwork versions of most of his weapons.

---

The Chief Defender declares him a member of the militia, BB is beaming. No one back home recognized his talents, his training. Besides his sister, of course. But she left years ago. He accepts the hopeknife with pride. Now he can carry Trunau with him wherever he goes. "Thank you!"

Afterwards in the Ivory Hall, BB is listening to everything they ask of him. It makes sense. Long forgotten secrets hidden in a druidic grove? Repelling more giants? Hanging out with his new friends? Perfect! Maybe his sister will hear his exploits and make her way over to him.

"Heh. Guys, I think this is a good plan. We beat one giant before. We can beat another!" BB pounds his fists together. "Besides, we do need to understand why this attack started in the first place. I'm up for it. What say you all?"


Male HP: 76/76 AC: 20,15,15 saves F:6, R:12, W:5,+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like, perception +13, stealth +16 Init:+5 (+2 in mountains); Rng 6 Rog 2

After hearing from Jagrin that Chief Defender Halgra would speak to him soon regarding the matter of the wealth and items found under Trunau Kurag waits to do anything with his share until he finds out for certain what is expected of him.

The 2 days came and went and still Kurag had heard nothing. It was time to go to the ceremony in honor of the fallen in the attack by the orcs. Kurag dressed in darker clothes and made sure that he was presentable. The immediate time of silence after the fight was fine to be blood splattered but this required more He had spent the night before washing and cleaning the well wrought chainshirt that he had found during the fighting. Even though the orcs had just been repelled 3 days prior that did not mean that another attack could not come from a different band of orcs. It would do well to be prepared. With that though in mind Kurag took greatclub, armor, and his trusty bow and arrows.

He thought he would stand with the rest of the Trunauas at the ceremony but found himself instead with those he fought directly with. Kurag stood holding his head high in memory of the slain. Each name that was said was a thorn in his flesh as it was one more member of a community, his community that he would not see again. After the solemnity was past Chief Defender Halgra started speaking in honor of those who fought for Trunau. It was no surprise to him that she should recognize BB, Bormann and Sergei. Their efforts were truly momentous and they were not even Trunauans. Kurag started to clap and cheer for them as Halgra honored them until he heard her repeat herself. Sergeant?!? Kurag breathed deepl as he approached and bowed before Halgra.With great honor do I thank you for this promotion and will do my utmost to see that I protect Trunau with everything I can.

Taking the hopeknives 1 at a time Kurag turns to each of his comrades offering the gift. Thank you for joining with us in defending the dearest thing to me, my home Trunau.


Male Dwarf Barbarian 6 (HP 78/90(+15) | DR 3/- | AC:19 T:11 F:19 | Saves F:+9 R:+5 W:+4 | CMB:+10 CMD:21 | Init:+1 | Perc: +10 Intimidate: +8 | Rage 20/20 rounds | Conditions: Bull's Str

Bormann does not wax particularly eloquent about the presentation of the hopekinfe. He simply says, "Thank you. I shall wear this with honor."

But when it comes to the meeting with the Chief Defender and town council, Bormann has a few questions. "If we put an end to the threat of Grenseldek, do you want it known that his destruction is the cost of attacking Trunau? Or should we keep that to ourselves? I am unafraid of any of my enemies knowing they face a warrior of the Grimm clan, but I am a traveler through these lands, whereas you have deep roots here. I will defer to your judgment on this."

1,551 to 1,600 of 3,688 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM RichD's GiantSlayer Gameplay Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.