DM Rambler's "The Hill Giant's Pledge"

Game Master Scribbling Rambler

The second book of DM Rambler's Giantslayer


401 to 450 of 461 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Elf Wizard Lvl: 4 HP: 17 AC: 13/10/13 F: 1 R: 4 W: 7 Init: 4 Percep: 6

“Yes, who was responsible for tending the beast?”


Male Elder GM

"The meat was prepared by Gashnakh every night, then a crew member would feed the beast in the morning."

Halrex speaks up, "I'm pretty sure that it was poor Taug who fed the beast today."


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Zigil looks at the bloody pulp. "And it looks like he was about to feed it again..."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Elder GM

A lengthy, awkward silence descends after Zigil's comment.

One of the crew shakes his head and says, "Too soon, man. Too soon."


Male Human Druid 4, Init: +4, HP: 35/35, AC:21/14/18, F:+6, R:+4, W:+8, Perception:+4

“Let us speak to the captain privately then”


Male Elder GM

Captain Bloodtusk replies, "We have to get back underway, but I can spare you a few minutes."

He leads the group up to the main deck, to a square room under the pilot deck. A large oval table occupies the center of the room, with a great chart of the rivers spread across it. A ledger sits on one end of the map. A pair of doors lead aft of the chart room.

Bloodtusk says, "Let's make it quick."


Male Human Ranger (trapper) 4. HP: 40/40 AC: 19/13/16 F:+6 R:+7 W:+4 Init:+3 Perc: +9

“This was an act of sabotage, just like the last one. Someone on this ship is a traitor.”


Male Half-orc Brawler 4 Init +1; Per +7; AC 18, T 12, F 16; HP 30/35; F +6, R +6, W +2

Did Grodar see anyone go near the beast’s cage while he was belowdecks?


Male Elder GM

Grodar did not see anyone then. The beast must have been fed when the rowers were not present.
Eldan did see there were large quantities of meat in the kitchen, but never saw it being prepared for the girallon.


Male Elder GM

The captain bristles at Giles' suggestion.

"I know my crew, and I don't know you. None of them would turn against me."

He calms somewhat and adds, "You've proven your worth in a fight, I'll grant you. Especially against those cursed drakes."
He pauses to spit.
"Still, I need more evidence to accuse anybody on my crew. And I'm not accusing folks at random. Bring me proof."
"But I still can't see my crew betraying me."


Male Human Ranger (trapper) 4. HP: 40/40 AC: 19/13/16 F:+6 R:+7 W:+4 Init:+3 Perc: +9

“I can show you proof the lock was picked. If Gashnahk did his job and drugged the beast we should be able to butcher it and find what was ileft n its system. If not, someone owes an explanation. Perhaps we should summon Gashnahk and get to the bottom of this.”


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Zigil makes a sad face, and then brightens. "Captain, maybe we don't have to hurt the poor creature."

"If we can wait and you are willing to assemble your crew tomorrow, I can create a zone of truth around the crew and ourselves, and you can ask whatever questions you wish to whoever you wish."

"Just know that a strong-willed person can resist the spell. I can cast it more than once to increase our chances of successfully determining what happened here."

"I fear that we may not be able to wait that long, but I am unable to cast that spell today."


Male Elder GM

"I gotta get underway. But I can spare you lot from duties for a bit if you wanna go talk to Gashnakh."


Male Human Ranger (trapper) 4. HP: 40/40 AC: 19/13/16 F:+6 R:+7 W:+4 Init:+3 Perc: +9

“Lets go question him then.”


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

"Do we know that Gashnahk is a him? Some people get offended if you get their gender wrong."


Male Elder GM

Eldan knows that Gashnakh is indeed a him. He is in the galley.

The group makes their way to the galley while the rest of the crew deals with the remains of Taug, then gets the ship underway.

Gashnakh is a burly half-orc, and he is currently at work with a mortar and pestle, mixing spices.


Male Elder GM

"Whaddya want?"


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Zigil looks at Giles.


Male Human Druid 4, Init: +4, HP: 35/35, AC:21/14/18, F:+6, R:+4, W:+8, Perception:+4

Mannfred jumps in: "Why was the beast below decks not drugged?"


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Zigil, speaking a little more loudly and slowly for the hearing impaired: "WHY ... WAS ... THE .... BEAST ... BELOW .... DECKS .... NOT .... DRUGGED?"


Male Elder GM

Gashnakh sulks, "I heard ya the first time!"

"I dunno, I gave the meat to the thing."

rattling sounds behind the screen:
Ziggy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Mannfred: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Giles: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Grodar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Eldan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Slei: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Gashnakh: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Ziggy:
Gashnakh licks his lips, and his eyes dart about nervously.

Eldan:
Gashnakh licks his lips, and his eyes dart about nervously.

Slei:
Gashnakh licks his lips, and his eyes dart about nervously.

Mannfred:
Gashnakh licks his lips, and his eyes dart about nervously.


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

"You know more than you're saying. You're hiding something. Who gives you the drugs to put in the meat?"


Male Elder GM

"Ummmm... the captain. And the Coxswain. They gave me a bunch."

Mannfred:
He seems relieved by this line of questioning.


Male Human Druid 4, Init: +4, HP: 35/35, AC:21/14/18, F:+6, R:+4, W:+8, Perception:+4

“Did you actually put the drugs in the meat? And are you sure you gave the meat to the beast?”


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 "Look, we know you're just doing your job, and we're not trying to get you into trouble. We just want to find out what happened so than no one else ends up like Taug." Zigil says, transparently lying (apparently).

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry gang I was on a boat, and apparently also clueless about what this person is hiding from us.


Male Elder GM

Gahnakh replies, "Yah! I just gave the monkey the meat, like I was told!"

Mannfred:
Still looking pretty shifty.

More secret rattling:
Ziggy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27Mannfred: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Ziggy:
Gashnakh is still being deceptive, but Ziggy also notices a certain slurring of speech and glazing over of eyes that may indicate some sort of magical influence.


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Ziggy looks at the party, makes a silent shushing motion with a finger to her lips and points to the screen.


Male Elder GM

To be clear, the rattling is behind the GM Screen.


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Ziggy's part celestial. She knew that.

Eldan, DM:
Whispers to Eldan, "Check for magical compulsion."

"Perhaps you can show us the drugs you put in the meat? Maybe there was a mixup."


Male Elf Wizard Lvl: 4 HP: 17 AC: 13/10/13 F: 1 R: 4 W: 7 Init: 4 Percep: 6

Eldan casts detect magic to see if there are any active magical effects on Gahnakh.

Spellcraft = 14 + 11 = 25


Male Elder GM

Gashnakh flinches away as Eldan begins the verbal and somatic components of his spell.

"Hey! Watchu doin??"

Eldan:
It's actually Arcana for identifying a spell in place. Using the same roll, you get an even higher result. It appears that Gashnakh is under the effect of sow thought, a minor domination enchantment which allows somebody to implant ideas which he will think are his own.


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Zigil will try to distract Gashnakh. diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 "Its okay, Gashnakh. We're not here to hurt you. We're just trying to get information."


Male Elder GM

"I don't know nothin! And that other elf is trying to put the whammyjammy on me!"


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

"We know you don't know anything. The spell won't hurt you. It will just tell us if magic was used to keep the meat from being drugged. We know you didn't do anything wrong, and we will make sure that no one blames you."


Male Elf Wizard Lvl: 4 HP: 17 AC: 13/10/13 F: 1 R: 4 W: 7 Init: 4 Percep: 6

“He is under an enchantment known as sow thoughts. It is a minor enchantment that allows the caster to implant suggestions.”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

"Sow thoughts? What kind of pig would cast that?"


Male Human Ranger (trapper) 4. HP: 40/40 AC: 19/13/16 F:+6 R:+7 W:+4 Init:+3 Perc: +9

“Interesting. So he is not to blame but may be a danger to us anyway. Someone is messing with us.”


Male Half-orc Brawler 4 Init +1; Per +7; AC 18, T 12, F 16; HP 30/35; F +6, R +6, W +2

"Now we know that whoever's doing this can use magic. At least that helps narrow the list down."


Androgynous Aasimar Cleric 4; Init +0; Darkvision 60; Per +10; AC 19 (flat 19/touch 10/shieldless 17); HP 36; F+6, R +1, W+8

Quietly to the party. "Halrex can use magic, but she helped us against the beast. Still, she's not very nice to us, so I don't know if we should tell her this. But maybe we should ask the captain to delegate beast-food prep to someone else."


Male Elf Wizard Lvl: 4 HP: 17 AC: 13/10/13 F: 1 R: 4 W: 7 Init: 4 Percep: 6

“Someone or something is not who they appear to be. Captain, what was your last port before you picked us up? I think that our adversary is using magic to hide their appearance by disguising themselves as one of your crew or possibly your animals.”


Male Human Ranger (trapper) 4. HP: 40/40 AC: 19/13/16 F:+6 R:+7 W:+4 Init:+3 Perc: +9

“Gashnahk. Have you spoken to anyone new or suspicious recently? Someone seems to have enchanted you and we want to help you. My friend here can tell you have been affected by deceitful magic.”


Male Elder GM

Gashnakh begins to look more and more alarmed as the party speaks to him, beginning with Eldan's statement about the spell. He looks frantically around the galley for the captain, but sees Bloodtusk is not here.

"I'm not under nothing!! You'll never get me!!"

He snatches a cleaver from the counter, then starts to rush for the stairs to the upper deck.

"Galley" map. I'm not worrying about initiative at this point.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-orc Brawler 4 Init +1; Per +7; AC 18, T 12, F 16; HP 30/35; F +6, R +6, W +2

Grodar prepares to grab Gashnakh Martial Flexibility: Improved Grapple and moves to T-32.


Male Elder GM

Go ahead and make a Grapple CM check, Grodar.


Male Half-orc Brawler 4 Init +1; Per +7; AC 18, T 12, F 16; HP 30/35; F +6, R +6, W +2

Grapple: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Male Elder GM

Grodar reaches out and grabs the cook before he can rush past.


Male Elf Wizard Lvl: 4 HP: 17 AC: 13/10/13 F: 1 R: 4 W: 7 Init: 4 Percep: 6

“Master Grodar, can you incapacitate him without hurting him? We need to take him to the Captain.”


Male Human Ranger (trapper) 4. HP: 40/40 AC: 19/13/16 F:+6 R:+7 W:+4 Init:+3 Perc: +9

Giles will help restrain the cook and helps drag him to the Captain. If he is willing to walk naturally we will save him any embarrassment we can.


Male Elder GM

Grodar has a tight grip on the cook, but he is still brandishing a cleaver...

401 to 450 of 461 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Rambler's "The Hill Giant's Pledge" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.