DM Fflash's Iron Gods Campaign Reboot

Game Master DM Fflash

Chapter 3: The Choking Tower
Smokewood

Roll 20 Link


1 to 50 of 3,006 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The Sputtering Torch

The most important recent event in Torch is the loss of the town’s eponymous feature. A strange violet flame has long burned atop the hill the town is built around, and these fires burn hot enough to allow the smelting of skymetal. This has given Torch a singular source of income. Smiths, metalworkers, and scavengers from miles around come to Torch to use its flame to smelt and work with skymetals.

Now and then, the flame has pulsed and blasted a beam of fire into the skies above town, during which time it isn’t safe to be atop the hill, but until a week ago, the flame has never gone out. Now it has, and no one in town knows why.

Without the flame, the town’s primary source of income has been removed, and with a number of significant tithes to the Technic League coming due soon, the town’s leaders are growing desperate to re-light the violet fires. One of Torch’s most beloved leaders, the wizard Khonnir Baine, discovered strange activity in a number of hitherto unknown caves below the city’s central hill, and even recovered a deactivated automaton now stored in his home behind his tavern, The Foundry. But when Khonnir returned to these strange caves to try to learn more, he vanished. The town has grown increasingly desperate for answers, and now looks for the return of their missing wizard as well, but with so many other local and visiting adventurers having gone missing in the caves, fewer and fewer volunteers are stepping forward.

The Town Council has posted notices offering a 4,000 gp reward for the return of Khonnir (alive or dead) and another 4,000 gp reward for reigniting the Torch.

Feel free to discuss or ask questions of me. You are free to move about town as you wish ... it is late afternoon, but most everything is open. Once you have a DM-approved character built and avatar selected, post here by rolling a d20


Male Teifling Bladebound Magus 13 (AC 29 / Hp 127/ Init +7 / Fort +13 / Ref +14 / Will +13)

.


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

1d20 ⇒ 6


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1d20 ⇒ 6


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

1d20 ⇒ 15

Razorend takes a corner seat, careful to stay in the shadows behind a wooden post. He takes off his mask, revealing an otherwise nondescript human face. The only hint of his android construction is the odd way light reflects from his eyes... not quite right.

He slaps a paper onto the table, jostling drinks. It is a street bill describing the bounty for Khonnir and the torch. "It may be a fool's errand, but for that kind of coin, how can we pass it up?"


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Kovax nods, "I had heard his team didn't come back, and to think if I hadn't been out looking for another ruin myself, I may have been on that team with him." Kovax rubs his chin, "I was planning on seeing if any of you wanted to join me in going to look for him, of all the ruins I have searched, I haven't yet been able to search the ones right below the town, I am quite excited to see what is down there."

Looking around at the rest of the group, "Anyone else interested?"


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

Razorend nods. "But where to start looking? The caverns below are a labyrinth. Without a trail to follow, we will spend weeks looking in the wrong places."

"What about that automaton Khonnir found?"


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

"That is true Razorend, without a trail it could be difficult. We should check with the town leaders, see if Khonnir had created any sort of a map from his first exploration trip." Kovax pauses, "His daughter may know more as well, both would be worth speaking with."

"The automaton may hold a clue as well, his daughter may know where that is as well, maybe we should check with her first."


A Starting Point

We'll assume you all are in The Copper Coin (#5 on the map). I've added a Torch Legend to the handouts that gives the info in the city for the numbered areas that you would know

Rumors you've heard this evening as you drink:

Urgeon:
All these weird headaches folks have been having lately? I bet they’re being caused by someone tampering with
Crowfeather Palace. I’ve been drinking only rainwater and I’ve not had a headache yet!

Korvax:
Someone died a few weeks ago at the Marrymaid, cut open from throat to gut. Wrennie’s hushed up the killing
because it’s bad for business, but I think she’s covering something up!

Razorend:
Wonder what happened to that good-looking woman with the purple hair? Doesn’t anyone else find it strange that
she showed up a few days before the torch went out, and that no one’s seen her since?

Ridic:
A pair of dwarves got drunk at the Foundry a few nights ago and went up to Black Hill to drink some of the sludge up
there on a dare. One of them grew a lot stronger for a few minutes after drinking the stuff, but the other one nearly
died after the fluids burnt a hole in his gut

Ridic d20: 1d20 ⇒ 20


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp
Kovax Exner wrote:
"The automaton may hold a clue as well, his daughter may know where that is as well, maybe we should check with her first."

Razorend angles his head quizzically, "Khonnir has a daughter? Is she the pretty lady with the purple hair?"


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

1d20 ⇒ 12


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Ridic will walk towards the table in the corner after hearing about the rewards.

"I heard you discussing the recent bounties. My name is Ridic"

"I am interested in exploring the ruins, and of course the hefty rewards that have been offered. I think we should head up to the Foundry, sounds as they have some interesting drinks....and perhaps some information that may help us."


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

Urgeon sits down with the group and places his over sized tankard on the table with a clank, "I thought I might find you all here. I see you've heard about Khonnir. We've got to find him. Yes, these are all good ideas. So, we look at the automaton, and then talk to his daughter? We can visit the Foundry before going down to the ruins."


The Foundry Tavern - 1700

You head down the street, a short walk, to the Foundry Tavern, approaching from the street on the west side. As you arrive, you hear a terrible racket and crashing of metal and wood, accompanied by a shrill blood-curdling woman's scream. It's coming from Khonnir's home!

You may continue to chat or suggest options you wish to do around town (just tag it as the Copper Coin... it's around 4 in the afternoon while you're there). If you want to research more rumors, each takes a Diplomacy check and 1d4 hours. You may also visit one place per hour as well (the places are listed on the document I sent, they correspond with the numbers on the map of Torch on the Roll 20 site). I'll assume you travel together unless you specifically state otherwise. Starting with the Foundry above, obviously!

I havent built tokens for you yet, but the map is up


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Kovax will rush to the door and see if it is unlocked if it is he will open it, if it is locked he will try and break it down

Str Check - 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

Urgeon follows behind Kovax, "Who's in there?"


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

Razorend immediately hugs the shadows.

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Ridic follows closely behind the other two awaiting a response.


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Tike, what document did you send to us? Did you email it, because I didn't see any emails with this document


Everything is on Roll20. Link at the top of the page. You should've gotten an invite as well.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Tokens and Characters added to maps

Malfunction! Round 1

The party races over quickly to find themselves at Khonnir's front door. Kovax shoulders through quickly and looks left and right down a short hall. The sound is coming through a pair of serial doors to the right so he heads that way, the others following.

As he approaches, the door explodes open in a spray of splinters and iron pieces. A spindly metal contraption about 3 feet in diameter moving on 3 spider-like legs. It has a vaguely humanoid top with 4-clawed hands a the end of thin arms and a single eye in the middle of its metal forehead. It begins to rip the wall apart to the south of it, tearing stones off like they were paper with amazing alacrity.

You can see Val huddled in the corner behind the creature.

No good image right now. The token is inaccurate. Actions, please

Razorend Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Kovax Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Ridic Init: 1d20 ⇒ 12
UrgeonInit: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Drone: 1d20 ⇒ 11


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Glancing through the door and seeing Val, Kovax stops from reaching for his blunderbus and instead grabs his Glaive and attacks while keeping his distance.

To Hit - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Damage - 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Ridic will also attack the Iron beast using his Scimitar

Attack
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Damage
1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


So Ridic must draw and move using up both actions ... (need a +1 BAB to draw and move as a single action). Also, I assume you're going to move past Kovax to attack the creature? Map is up on Roll20


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

Razorend sidles silently along the outside of the house, moving to the second window and pushing it open.

If it's locked, he'll bash the panes with his elbow.


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

I can't access R20 currently.

Urgeon backs away from the construct and allows the others to move into melee. He studies the creature and looks for any method to disable it.

Knowledge Eng: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Ridic will just draw his bow and wait outside.


Malfunction! Round 1

Razorend, Urgeon, Ridic, Kovax, Drone

Razorend moves to the window and slips it open smoothly and glides in soundlessly dropping in the shadows right behind the creature.

Urgeon studies the creature from down the hall but while he recognizes it as some sort of animate automaton unique to the area, he cannot discern any details.

Kovax steps forward and whips his polearm out, striking at the creature hard, causing sparks and clanging metal to ring out.

The little construct turns its eye from its destruction of the door and moves in toward Kovax, arms whirling with cutters, but the mechanist dodges easily.

Drone vs Kovax: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8; miss

Actions, Round 2

DM Use:

6


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

I think I am still far enough to attack without a 5', if not I will 5' and attack

To Hit - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 Should have flanking
Damage - 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

Urgeon draws his crossbow and fires past Kovax at the Automaton.

Attack: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (11) - 4 = 7
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8


Kovax Exner wrote:

I think I am still far enough to attack without a 5', if not I will 5' and attack

To Hit - d20+4 Should have flanking
Damage - d10+1

Nah, I forgot to 5 foot the creature on its turn .. fixed. You'll get the flank assuming Razorend moves in


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Ridic will follow Razorend's lead and enter through the window behind the construct.


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

Razorend closes in on the automaton, striking with his kukri from behind with a lightning-quick combination.

Flurry strike, flanking? Still can't move my token on Roll20.

Kukri: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 2 = 8; Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Kukri: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 3 + 2 = 17; Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


All tokens/characters should be visible and assigned to the right folks now ... sorry, kept getting distracted


Malfunction! Round 2

Razorend, Urgeon, Ridic, Kovax, Drone

Razorend sneaks up behind the thing and cuts some wires, fluid spraying out from the clanking. Urgeon fires a crossbow bolt but it gets caught up in the melee.

Ridic follows Razorend through the open window, spying the girl cowering in the corner.

But with a final step back and slash, Kovax ends the fight as quickly as it started leaving a twisted pile of metal and blackish-purple fluid on the floor of the house.

END COMBAT! Each of you receives 50xp

After a couple moments, Val emerges from the corner. "Is it ... dead?" She stammers out, peering uncertainly at the wreckage.


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Kovax nods at Val, "It would appear so Val."

Kovax kneels down to examine it

Knowledge Engineering - 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

"Is that the automaton your father recently found? What happened?"

I have no idea who this woman is.


M Human (Kellid) Blight Druid, S16, D10, C14, I10, W19, CH10, HP10, AC16, Init 0, Perception +13 Level 6 Druid

Ridic will look at the woman and say"Are you ok, are you harmed? My name is Ridic, what happened here?"


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Without looking up from the machine, Kovax waves his hand in a broad gesture, "Everyone, Val. Val, everyone. She is Khonnir daughter."

Rubbing his chin as he pokes around in the machine, "This is fascinating," Glancing at Val, "How long has this been active? I wonder why your father didn't tell me." going back to studying the machine, he mummers "This is really remarkable, so advanced and detailed..."

Anything of worth to remove from it?


Just realized Urgeon has the local ties trait not Kovax. He'd be the one who knows her ...

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

Yeah but I did say in my story I have been working with him from my other story trait, I didn't get any of his perks but I know him and we have been sharing info from my ruin explorations


mmm

-Posted with Wayfinder


Male Human Mechanist/Savage Technologist Level 7

I mean I guess I could just take this trait but I didn't assume that by not taking it it meant that I had no interaction or have any idea who he is. I was just taking that other trait as that I don't think that an android would be all that good at forming an actually bond with anyone like that trait kinda spelled out.


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

Urgeon crouches down to examine automaton, "Val, your father never ceases to amaze me. Where did he find this one? You haven't heard from him yet, have you?"

Knowledge, Engineering: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


The girl dusts herself off and then gives Urgeon a quick familial hug. "Super that you guys came by when you did. Dad brought this thing up 5 days ago. It was just beyond some great sky metal wall and door they'd found. He closeted himself in with the City Council to chat about it. Didn't say much to me. He said this thing was inert and that he didn't have time to examine it now. He was too busy preparing for his second expedition. That was the day before yesterday. Last time I saw him. Makes me a bit less likely to throw the inert BS flag at him next time I see him." She sniffs just a bit at that last part before glancing at you all.

"Not that I'm not grateful, but what are you doing here?"

Val Bhaine is a Kellid girl, adopted daughter of Khonnir and generally known as the one who runs the Foundry Tavern's day to day operations.

Kovax:
It's a robot of some sort, but more than that, you can't discern

Urgeon:
You know Val well having apprenticed alongside her. While she is known for her work in the bar, she is truly Khonnir's apprentice as well, learning alchemy and metallurgy from him, although she's behind you in the arcane arts.

As for the creature, you note it's a robot, in particular, a repair drone. It's heavily damaged, but this thing seems to have a maintenance function of some sort.

-Posted with Wayfinder


M Human (Kellid) Diviner 6 Technomancer 1, HP 30/54 , AC 13 (17 w/ mage armor), Init +11, Perception +12, Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +7
Spells:
6/6 1st 3/5 2nd 1/4 3rd Wands: MM 8/44 SR 6/16 REx 18/18 REn 34/34 RoR 17/17

Urgeon pauses in his examination of the repair drone, "We're here looking for your father. A sky metal wall? He never mentioned that to me. Could you take us there?"


Male Android Stalker 7 :: AC 22 (t17, f15) :: 53 hp

Request more info and/or description of Val. You say 'girl' but then say she runs the tavern. Is she an adult, or 10?


Young adult. 19ish. Picture on Roll20

-Posted with Wayfinder


"Father and his party have gone missing ... you've seen the reward notices, yes? He was supposed to come back within 8 hours ... but didn't. I don't know the way to his wall, only those that went with him did. You know I'm not the adventuring sort, Urgie. But if you're looking for him, take your big, strong friends down into the caverns under the Weeping Pond and go find him!"

1 to 50 of 3,006 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM FFlash's Iron Gods Campaign Reboot All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.