DM Feral's Fortress of the Serpentfolk (Inactive)

Game Master Feral

A Pathfinder adapted version of the 3.5 D&D adventure The Fortress of the Yaun-Ti.


201 to 250 of 369 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

Chelish Inquisitor 8 - HP: 67/67 - AC 24, T:13, FF:21 Fort: +10, Reflex: + 5, Will: +10 Perception: +15 (Effects:)

Demitri hits the ground with a thud. He gets up slowly and dusts himself off. "That wasn't so bad. I only broke 4 ribs." He jokes as he feels his chest. "Sure, just grab it on the way down Balo."


Yup, the bonus STR and DEX are gone. No more super powers.


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh seems shaken by Obo's death, but keeps his thoughts and feelings to himself for the next day.

At the ravine, Rahesh pauses to consider their options. "I have an enchanted rope, but not one that will cover this distance. And I am loath to leave it behind while we trek further. Balo, do you believe you can safely make it to the bottom?"


Zafira yells up, "I can get your rope down after you've descended if you're worried about leaving it behind".


"I'm not too confident about climbing down..." he trails off as he looks at how Dimitri fell after making such a good progression and he didn't manage to buy himself a climber's kit.


Moving things along.

Rahesh takes a breath and then steps off the ravine ledge as Zafira had a moment ago. He slowly and gracefully drifts to the bottom, much to Zafira and the bruised Demitri's surprise.

"I was unaware you had such a trinket", the woman says. "May I?", she says indicating the Vudrani's ring.

Rahesh slips off his enchanted ring and hands it over. Zafira examines it a carefully, and then holds it aloft with one hand. A viper slithers from her sleeve, takes it from her in its fanged mouth, and then slithers back into her sleeve. A moment later Balo is shocked to find the tiny viper, ring in mouth, slithering at his feet.


Balo puts the magical ring on and jumps down drifting safely to the bottom of the ravine below.

Looking around the area the party quickly sees how the 'Drowning Stones' earned their name. From out of the ravine climbs twin stone megaliths carved into vaguely humanoid shapes. Their eroded faces turn upward so their gaping mouths fill with water from the river cascading down from above. Badly weathered, the craftsmanship and culture is beyond recognition. Scattered about the base of the stone monuments, amid dried, broken branches and other detritus, hundreds of cracked bones litter the misty ravine floor.

Zafira tends to Demitri's bruises.

Cure Moderate Wounds
2d8 + 5 ⇒ (3, 8) + 5 = 16

Spell: Cure Light Wounds
1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh slips his ring back on and tweaks it until it's set comfortably again. "One need not be master of an art to benefit from it. I eat the food others cook, wear the clothes others weave, and make use of a few enchantments that others have prepared." While Demitri's wounds are tended he takes the opportunity to scan their surroundings. "Where to now? Does anyone recall if we're seeing a tunnel or a cave mouth next?"


Brief exploration of the valley discovers little. Plantlife here is prolific - somehow even moreso than the rest of the jungle you've passed through. Even so, things are no less sinister. Bones of all sorts litter the floor here - some human, some animal, some something else entirely.

At the base of one of the massive 'drowning stones' the party finds a wide cave mouth. Kneeling at the cavern entrance is a dark-skinned half-elf. When the party and the elf notice each other a small dinosaur steps in front of the elf snarling defiance.

Kunsua:
You've been tracking the creatures that leveled your village for days. Their tracks have brought you to this cavern. You know this cave leads into the Darklands, a place feared and forbidden among your people.


Before you is a small Mwangi featured man with a graceful frame, violet-gray eyes and pointed ears that mark him as being partially of elven blood.

He is dressed in a primitive hide, it looks to have come from some sort of reptilian creature. Hanging from his hide armor by strings are bones, mostly teeth, from various creatures. The teeth are large and pointed, and have clearly come from something other then a mammal.

He springs to his feet and brings a wooden shield up in a defensive posture. He cries out:

"Behold, I am Kunsua of the Kallijae! I seek the Yunnai Zenj tribe. Pale ones, are you their destroyers!" His hands are held high, ready to summon mystical energies to his aid...


Balo turns around to the group unsure who should say what.
"We are explorers. We are on a mission to find the lair of the 'snake skins' and mean you no harm." he explains, using 'snake skins' as the term used by their recently departed companion as he doesn't know the true name of these evil creatures, whatever they are.


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh holds up his hands in a placating gesture. "We know nothing of any of the peoples you speak of. Our interest, as my friend says, is in the monsters that are said to dwell in the cavern beneath us. It brings us glory to fight them, and they are said to guard great treasures. What brings you to this death tainted place?"


Kunsua grimaces, lowering his hand but keeping his shield read. He barks a yipping command to the dinosaur.

Draconic:
"Down Uwa"

"The Yunnai Zenj tribe was murdered or ensalved, but not by the demon ape or any human. They were close to my heart, so I hunt their killers.

But the tracks... they are like none I have ever seen. Some are like humans, but they have claws and hard soles instead of boot or foot. Some are like the snake. You say you hunt snake skins and monsters? I know not of these snake skins but perhaps they are the murderers of the Yunnai. If so, perhaps we have a common foe."


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh nods slowly. "Perhaps so. You are welcome to walk with us a while, and if we do find a common enemy will we both profit from having allies to stand along side. If we do not, well, a share of the treasure would still be yours. All things in life, even a quest for vengeance, are eased by strong weapons and a pocket full of coin."


Rahesh wrote:
Rahesh nods slowly. "Perhaps so. You are welcome to walk with us a while, and if we do find a common enemy will we both profit from having allies to stand along side. If we do not, well, a share of the treasure would still be yours. All things in life, even a quest for vengeance, are eased by strong weapons and a pocket full of coin."

Balo nods, agreeing with Rahesh.

"We are searching out their fortress in hopes to destroy them and claim whatever treasures might lie inside." he explains as he had no fear of telling him everything. "We would be honored if you would join us." Balo bows to show his true appreciation for someone wanting to help join in their fight against the serphent folk.


He looks at the four assembled travelers. "And what may I call you, and from which lands do you hail?


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh bows slightly. "I am Rahesh, once of Katapesh but currently of no fixed location. My companions are Balo, Demetri, and Zafira. Their pasts are their own business and for them to share." He gestures at the cave mouth. "Is this then the way into the lair of the beast? If so I would prefer to begin our travels again before night summons forth new dangers."


Kunsua wrote:
He looks at the four assembled travelers. "And what may I call you, and from which lands do you hail?

"I was raised in Sargava, Fort Bandu. I spend my life at my mother's side fighting off the Mwangi." he explained as he stood there and extended a hand out for friendship as they would be joining each other in this travel.


He arches an eye at Balo curiously, but takes his hand none-the-less.

"There are many tribes in the Mwangi. You may find some are friendlier then others"

He turns back to the cave entrance.

"I was just reading the news" Kunsua says, gesturing to the tracks.

Track, Survival 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27


Kunsua:
A dozen serpentine tracks crawled through this area about a month ago and tracks from more than double that number of humans accompany them. The human tracks vary in size and shape suggesting a variety of ages and sexes.

An unnaturally cool draft blows out of the wide cave mouth.


"The story here is old; a month a go a dozen of these "snake skins" crawled through, and twice as many humans. There are no recent tracks. These creatures, whatever they are, would seem to have no love for the sun."


Kunsua wrote:

He arches an eye at Balo curiously, but takes his hand none-the-less.

"There are many tribes in the Mwangi. You may find some are friendlier then others"

He turns back to the cave entrance.

"I was just reading the news" Kunsua says, gesturing to the tracks.

Track, Survival 1d20+13

"I know not all are. My mother was from such a tribe." he nods as he agrees that not all tribes are violent and some were fiendly enough to join Sargava or remain in their tribes and not attack innocents.


Chelish Inquisitor 8 - HP: 67/67 - AC 24, T:13, FF:21 Fort: +10, Reflex: + 5, Will: +10 Perception: +15 (Effects:)

"Name's Demitri. Are we all ready to go or are we gonna keep standing around jaw-jacking all day?" He asks gruffly holding his still bruised ribs.


"My name is Zafira", the woman greets with a slight bow. "Who is your angry friend?", she asks indicating the ferocious little saurian.

I'm going to move this along if there are no objections.


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh draws a metal rod from his pack and strikes it against a rock, causing the end to flare with brilliant light. "Then we will bring a spark of the sun with us. Kunsua, if you would lead the way? Your wilderness skills seem to match of any of ours."


"I assure you these realms are as alien to me as they are to you, but if you wish I will lead the way." He turns to Zafira. "My companions name is Uwa"

He chants a magical blessing over Uwa and attaches an amulet of some sort of discolored, darkened metal around the small dinosaurs neck before using an orison to light his own shield and press into the darkness. He proceeds slowly, staring intently ahead.

Greater Magic Fang (6 hours), Amulet of Might Fists, move slowly (half speed searching for traps/hazards; i'll keep detect magic running as well.


2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5

The party makes their way into the cool dark cave and finds that it leads down deep into the earth. Kunsua, despite being new to this location as well, is able to lead the group through the dark twisting caverns following the tracks of the creatures that brought him to the Darklands entrance in the first place. The party travels for what feels like hours [ooc](5 to be exact) when they come to an opening filled with a carpet of softly glowing fungus.

Along the northern wall sits a pool of dark murky liquid. Moisture collects along the ceiling here occasionally dripping down into the pool below. The air here is even cooler, almost uncomfortably so, and the air is somehow thinner.

Map

At the far end of the cavern is the exit to this area.


Kunsua takes a moment to look around

Perception 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (8) + 23 = 31

"What strange and wonderful plants" he mutters to himself. He considers them for a moment.

K(dungeoneering) (common knowledge) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
K(nature) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Uwa and Kunsua proceed into the cave if all looks clear.


Kunsua takes a moment to look around

Perception 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (3) + 23 = 26

"What strange and wonderful plants" he mutters to himself. He considers them for a moment.

K(dungeoneering) (common knowledge) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
K(nature) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

Uwa and Kunsua proceed into the cave if all looks clear.

Move to I13 via H15


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh pauses, half amazed and half revolted by the strange fungal growth, to allow their guides to assess the safety of the place.


Kunsua:
This is a species of naturally glowing fungus that you have heard grows in the deep dark places of the earth. Which species it is, and if it's particularly dangerous or interesting in anyway, you are unsure.

Strangely, the tracks vanish midway through the room and then resume at the room's exit as if the group that passed through this area before you somehow jumped across it entirely.


1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Zafira rubs her fingers together as if feeling something between them. Her features wrinkle in concern.

"The barrier between the worlds is thin here", she says. "We should be... wary".


Kunsua motions a halt.

"Do you see that? He says, motioning to a set of tracks."Something is strange here; the tracks disappear and reappear a short distance later."

He picks up a rock, magically lights it, and tosses it towards the break in the tracks.

In case it matters, attack to hit a square: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


DM Rolls:
1d20 + 27 ⇒ (19) + 27 = 46
1d20 + 33 ⇒ (16) + 33 = 49

The rock bounces off the carpet of fungal growth softly.

Kunsua:
The mass of fungus seems to quiver slightly as the stone lands on it.


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh frowns at that statement. "They vanish? Then if they went in no direction to the side, and the ground is obviously unbroken, then perhaps up?" He stretches his arm to shine the sunrod into the cavern and directs his gaze at the ceiling.


The ceiling of this chamber is much like the walls and floor - dark stone covered with swaths of glowing fungus. The area of the ceiling above the pool on the northern wall is damp with moisture. A single bead of liquid slowly builds every minute or so eventually dropping into the pool a dozen feet below.


Chelish Inquisitor 8 - HP: 67/67 - AC 24, T:13, FF:21 Fort: +10, Reflex: + 5, Will: +10 Perception: +15 (Effects:)

"Let's keep moving. I don't feel like being ambushed here."


"Hold, friend. Did you not see that spot just quiver when I hit it? I fear that it lies in wait... or perhaps will react when we approach" Kunsua gestures to the spot. "So approach with caution. Perhaps we can use a large stone or some other method to trick this entity. Thoughts?" He begins to look around for a larger stone to toss...


"I agree with Demitri, let's not wait here to be jumped again." he says, stopping as he listened to what Kunsua says. "Anyone skilled with a bow so that I or someone could lure it out in the open to be fired upon?"


There are no particularly large stones in this chamber. The biggest of the loose rocks in this area are no bigger than your thumb.


"Well, let us proceed with caution then"


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh readies his musket and gestures for the others to lead the way. "My gun is the match for any bow, and I will fire upon anything that shows ill intent."


The group slowly advances into the room and no sooner than Kunsua's boot touches the edge of the thickest part of the carpet of fungus, than the earth shakes as the whole of the glowing mold itself rises up!

The mass of earth and plantlife lifts itself out of a wide depression in the cave floor and takes the vague shape of a hulking humanoid. Points of light buried deep within the growth, assumedly the creature's eyes, blink as it stands watching you.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Kunsua:
This is a Living Fungus Mound. It is a form of intelligent plant-life that is native to the upper levels of the Darklands. Its spongy body is resistant to certain types of physical damage and can release dangerous spores within close proximity.

Init Rolls:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Initiative Order
Rahesh
???
Balo
Plant Monster
Zafira
Kunsua
Demitri

I'll post a map in a couple hours.


Map


Male Human (Vudrani) Gunslinger (Musket Master) 6

Rahesh slides to the side for a clear shot and lets loose at the mobile foliage. "No bones or organs, no vital points, I fear this thing will not die easily to simple weapons."

Move to D17, one normal shot, touch attack of 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16 for 1d12 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 B/P damage.


Rahesh's bullet slams into the creature with a wet thud spraying bits of vegetable matter into the air but seemingly doing little damage. The creature emits an inhuman shriek and instinctively shoots a cloud of brilliantly colored golden spores into the air.

The spores fly about 10 feet away from its body and then drift to the cave floor a second or so later. Balo is up followed by the plant monster.


"I don't like the look of this thing." Balo comments as he receaches for an alchemist's fire and throws it at the plant creature. Watching it catch alight he grins, taking a 5ft step whilst drawing a his two-bladed sword.

attack aimed at F13: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 vs touch

fire damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2


The flask hits the creature, breaks, and ignites but the volatile concoction has trouble catching the creature's moist form aflame. Resistance negated all the damage.

Irritated none the less, the creature slides forward and swings a backhanded blow at Balo and Uwa with one fungus-covered pseudopod.

1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22
2d6 + 6 ⇒ (3, 5) + 6 = 14

1d20 + 15 ⇒ (11) + 15 = 26
2d6 + 6 ⇒ (4, 2) + 6 = 12

1d20 + 20 ⇒ (15) + 20 = 35

As the creature slams into the little saurian it begins growing over the dinosaur and entangling him.

Balo takes 14. Uwa takes 12. Uwa is grappled.

Zafira retrieves a few dried leaves from a pouch and recites a brief incantation before crumbling them and blows the bits towards the creature. Its moist vegetable-matter body blackens and withers but returns to normal a moment later.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Cast Pox Pustules. Passed Fort Save.
Kunsua is up next.

Map


"It is a living fungus mound! Very tough, and its spores are deadly!


Step back to E18
Summon Monitor Lizard F13 (Standard Action)

Monitor Lizard:
Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Uwa (Power attack, includes grapple penalties)
Bite
Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Damage 1d4 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8+acid 1d6 ⇒ 6
Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Damage 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10+acid 1d6 ⇒ 6
Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Damage 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9+acid 1d6 ⇒ 4


Kunsua's magic summons a giant lizard that snaps at the fungus mound with its deadly fanged snout but fails to do any damage.

The tangled Uwa goes into a frenzy lashing out with his claws and bite. Most of its attacks slide harmlessly through the mass of fungus but one claw catches something inside the creature and pulls out a chuck of vegatable matter. The creature quivers in pain sending more golden spores into the air. 1 hit

Fortitude Saves
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
1d3 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
1d3 ⇒ 1

The spores land on Balo and Uwa's skin and immediately start burning painfully. Uwa takes 2 con damage. Balo takes 1 con damage.

Next Up: Demitri


Chelish Inquisitor 8 - HP: 67/67 - AC 24, T:13, FF:21 Fort: +10, Reflex: + 5, Will: +10 Perception: +15 (Effects:)

Demitri puts away his halberd and secures his shield to his forearm as he braces himself for any attacks.

Move Action - Stow Halberd.

Standard Action - Ready Shield

Demitri's AC is now 22

201 to 250 of 369 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Feral's Fortress of the Serpentfolk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.