DM Carbide's PFS Emerald Spire

Game Master John Woodford

Level 11: The Tomb of Yarrix

COMBAT MAP


4,651 to 4,700 of 4,800 << first < prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

"Yes, Abadar provides me with the ability to give such a blessing."

Resist Energy Cold 20 on Asvald and on Eva. It will last 90 minutes.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Senja studies the magical aura more closely, saying quietly, "Another situation where we will miss Kali..."

Grand Lodge

F Human Monk 8 [ HP 43/75 (13 NL) | AC 23 Tch 18 FF 17 | Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +10 | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +15, low-light vision | Ki: 10/13 | Effects: mage armor ]

While the little shadow-man is looking at the magic, Eva peers into the hallway trying to spot more mundane threats.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Unmoved by the cold still surrounding the brown mold, Eva approaches the hallway to see what she can see. There is nothing out of the ordinary visible in the corridor, but she notices something odd: the cloud of her exhaled breath reaches the opening of the hall and vanishes cleanly.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Senja, the aura appears to be from a conjuration effect.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

"It's a conjuration effect," Senja says thoughtfully. "That could be a healing spell, but it seems unlikely. So either it summons something, which would be odd, or it teleports you somewhere, which seems possible. I wonder if your breath appears anywhere else, Eva?"

He encourages his friends to spread out in the central hallway and see if they can spot Eva's misty breath appearing anywhere else in the side halls.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Senja sees nothing like that.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Senja tosses a coin down the corridor where Eva was looking, to see if it appears anywhere else - or if some other fate befalls it.

If nothing happens:

He then turns to his companions and says, ”I’d rather strongly prefer not to go first here. So one of us can step into the hall, or I can try to dispel whatever magic is there. I might prefer to save that spell for a moment when Asvald is bewitched or Torque frozen in ice or some other difficult situation, but it’s an option.“

Let’s do a thing here, folks - someone want to step through the force field?

Grand Lodge

F Human Monk 8 [ HP 43/75 (13 NL) | AC 23 Tch 18 FF 17 | Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +10 | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +15, low-light vision | Ki: 10/13 | Effects: mage armor ]

I nominate Asvald! Eva could go, too. Alternatively, we could explore the rest of the level first and come back to this, but who wants to do that?

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

"I will brave it so others do not have to. Abadar would expect nothing less."


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

The coin also vanishes.

Which passage do you want to take, Torque?

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Going clockwise with the first corridor on the right.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Torque steps into the hallway and vanishes from the rest of the party's sight.

Torque:
Nothing happens to you, as far as you can tell, as you step into the hallway. What do you do?

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

DM Carbide:

I will keep walking down the hallway. Do I still see the party?


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Torque:
You look back over your shoulder, but do not see any of the other party members in the room behind you. You reach the first branch without any other oddities, and nothing likewise happens before the second branch. However, as you think you're going to be nearing the door at the end of the hall, it seems to recede before you.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

”Uh-oh, that’s not so good,“ Senja remarks as Torque vanishes. Using the message spell they typically travel with, he calls out, ”Torque, you okay? Did you go somewhere? We can’t see you anymore.“

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

DM Carbide:

Do I hear the message?

Torque keeps walking forward confident that what he was seeing was just a trick of the light.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Torque:
You don't hear anything. The door continues to recede as you walk.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

DM Carbide:

Is there a check or save I can make here?

Torque raises an eyebrow and pulls his crossbow. After careful consideration he loads it and fires a quarrel at the door.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Torque:
You don't have the skill you'd need--it's a DC 30 Knowledge (Arcana) check to figure out what's going on.

The crossbow bolt seems to move very, very slowly towards the door, falling to the floor well short of it. If you walk forward, you figure that you pace out about the distance of a crossbow shot before you come to where the bolt fell.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

DM Carbide:

Torque decides that this is out of his jurisdiction and goes for the next corridor.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

I assume Torque has not responded to Senja because he’s unable to in some way, rather than because he just missed my post? If so, how long has he been gone? If it’s been a while, we might choose to join him.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Correct. Although given the way the message spell is written, it sounds like you have to point directly at the creature you're trying to communicate with, and you don't know exactly where he is.

ETA:

Torque:
You're able to take the branch across to the other long corridor without issue. However, if you try to reach the far door the same thing happens: it recedes before you as you walk. At some point, though, you do find the coin that Senja tossed into the hall.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Okay, thanks. And how long has he been gone?


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Ten or fifteen minutes.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Oh, wow, that's longer than I expected. We might have chosen to do something before that much time had elapsed, but I guess we'll do something now - or at least discuss it.

"Uh, gang?" Senja says to his two remaining travel companions. "You think we should go see what's happened to Torque?"

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

DM Carbide:

Torque picks up the coin and walks back out to the rest of the party assuming he can.

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 62/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Asvald nods in agreement. ”He’s been gone a long time. We should go in after him.”


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Torque:
You pass the branch on your way north to the large room, but the opening recedes before you in the same way that the door did on the way south.

The rest of the party can take actions after a couple of minutes; Torque's activities don't have to have taken up that much time.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Sounds like a bit of delay on our part doesn't have a huge impact, so I'm not worried about it. If he has been steadily moving away or something, it would be nice not to be 15 minutes behind him.

"Okay, here goes," Senja replies to Asvald's words. He waits for Asvald to go first, then follows after, looking over his shoulder at Eva and expecting her to follow.

The Exchange

M Ulfen Skald/Ranger 9 [ HP 62/84 | AC 21 (25 with barkskin) Tch 13 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +9* | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +8 | Effects: none ]
Resources:
Inspire 25/25 | Spells 1st 5/5 | 2nd 0/4 | 3rd 1/1 | Wildshape 2/2

Concerned about the tardy cleric, Asvald boldly leads the party down the corridor he was last seen.

”Conjuration magic includes teleportation, right? Is it possible he was sent elsewhere?”


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

With Asvald in the lead, the brave party steps forward into the Sphere of Annihilation trap unknown. Nothing apparently happens during the crossing into the hallway, although it is somewhat disconcerting for those not Asvald to see the skald vanish in front of them.

Torque, you hear movement in the other corridor.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Torque instinctively draws his Greataxe and listens closely for whoever/whatever is following him.

Perception: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 21 + 2 = 40


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Torque, it sounds uncannily like Asvald and Senja.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Still suspicious, Torque waits weapon in hand.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

”Torque?“ Senja calls out tentatively. ”You here?“ He then attempts to say the same through the message spell.

Carbide - do we see anything other than the hallway we were in?

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Assuming Torque can hear it, he responds. "Yes, I am here. Though these doors continue to confound me. They resist my attempts to approach them."

Grand Lodge

F Human Monk 8 [ HP 43/75 (13 NL) | AC 23 Tch 18 FF 17 | Fort +8 Ref +7 Will +10 | CMD 27 | Init +1 | Perc +15, low-light vision | Ki: 10/13 | Effects: mage armor ]

Eva glances over at Senja. "Gremlin doors? Do you know anything of such things, Senja of the Shadows?"

Aid:
Knowledge (Arcana) to Aid Senja: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 2 = 16


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

You can see the hallway as shown on the map. However, if you try to walk towards any of the doors, they seem to recede before you almost as fast as you approach. The same is true if you try to go back to the main room--the opening at the end of the hallway recedes from you almost as fast as you approach.


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

DC 30 Knowledge (Arcana):
This appears to be an almost completely-closed dimensional loop. It should be possible to walk out of it, though it would probably take several hours and would be physically challenging. It should also be possible to escape the effect using any other pocket dimension effect (rope trick, etc.) or by teleporting out.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Knowledge (arcana), DC 30, Aid: 1d20 + 14 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 14 + 2 = 23 Rats - had a decent chance at it, but not with that roll.

"I wish that I did, Eva," Senja replies, "as it would put an end to this eternal walking of corridors. But I've never heard or read of such a thing."

After pondering a long moment, he adds, "I'd suggest we could use a dimensional door to get out of here, like we used to get past the tomb doors - but I don't know where we would aim the spell at this point."


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Do any of you have a reroll to offer Senja?

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

Yea, he can use mine. He'll get a +4 to add to it.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Oh, right, a reroll. I can use my own - but thanks, Torque.

Senja thinks hard, scratching his head a bit in thought as he tries to puzzle out the corridor conundrum.

Knowledge (arcana), DC 30, GM Star: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 14 + 1 = 35

"Interesting..." he offers after a long moment of cogitation. "This appears to be an almost completely closed dimensional loop. It should be possible to walk out of it, though it would probably take several hours and would be physically challenging, particularly for me. But it should also be possible to escape the effect using another pocket dimension effect, like a rope trick spell, or by teleporting out."

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

"Does that extend to getting to those doors?"


Rise of the Runelords|Dragon's Demand| Giantslayer|Emerald Spire

Senja judges that the areas immediately in front of the doors are outside of the loop.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

It may just be that I'm working on very little sleep (I'm on call and got woken up many times last night), but I don't quite understand Torque's question and Carbide's answer. The area immediately in front of the doors is outside the dimension loop - I don't know what that means? And I'm not sure which doors you mean either.

This is one of those fun moments where my character is smarter than I am - and perhaps better rested too.

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

I'm asking if we can teleport next to those doors so we can open them and according to Carbide we can if I'm reading it right.

Scarab Sages

M Wayang Witch 9 | HP 63 | AC 17 | T 16 | FF 13 (w/mage armor: 21/16/17) | CMD 17 | Fort +10 | Ref +11 | Will +10 | Init +9 | Perc +13

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for helping me understand it. Care to teleport us there? Since we'll be using up the Dimension Door spell that was supposed to get us out of here, we'll figure that part out later, I guess.

"Yeah, I think so," Senja replies. "If you can 'port us right next to the doors, it should get us out of this loop."

The Exchange

Male Lawbringer 9 (HP 75/75; AC:25(21):, T:12, FF:20; Fort:+12 Ref:+8 Will:+13; Init+1; Perception+21 (Effects:)

"Alright." Torque gathers everyone together and casts Dimension Door to get the party right next to the southeastern doors.

4,651 to 4,700 of 4,800 << first < prev | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Carbide's PFS Emerald Spire-Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.