DM Brainiac's Starfinder Society (Inactive)

Game Master Brainiac

Battle Maps on Google Slides


1 to 50 of 750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

SFS 1-05: The First Mandate

You have all arrived at the Lorespire Compelx, headquarters of the Starfinder Society on Absalom Station. Having received a summons from First Seeker Luwazi Elsebo, you now sit in a lavish meeting room, with several lush couches and armchairs surrounding a wide, low table. Snacks and refreshments have been set up for you as you wait for the First Seeker to arrive.

You can all chime in and introduce your characters. Once everybody has posted, I will proceed with the briefing.

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

A glamourous golden android with distinct female attributes lounges in the waiting room at the Lorespire complex. As the others arrive she stands and introduces herself as "Kultainen! Pleased to meet you![/b]"

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4

Hi! I am Karish! said the tall, thin Lashunta with a green hair and a beautiful face. He is full of gadgets on clothes.

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

Male Human Bounty Hunter Arcane Soldier 3: Spd:20, Init:7, SP:27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/4, EAC:16, KAC:18, Fort:5, Reflex:6, Will:5, Perc:0

Huckle Jim walks in, sees the refreshments, grabs himself a half of glass of beer, or if not an option, coffee, and the healthier snacks off the table, then sits down in one of the chairs. Howdy, name's Huckle Jim. I track things and I snipe things, but can do close quarters if necessary. How's everyone today?

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

The Ysoki female was a bundle of energy, pacing around the room and looking at the various artwork and bric-a-brac located in the meeting room. As she moves, her heavy armor clanks, but not as loudly as you might imagine it would. She has a Azimuth Laser Rifle connected to her Golemforged Plating II armor by a combination of metal hoop built into the armor and a sling that runs through it.

Finally taking her seat, she says "Hi, I'm Gidget. I'm an Exo-Guardian! Isn't it great to be Starfinders? They gave me this neat tattoo and I made enough money to get this armor and a brand new rifle! Now we get to go someplace new and meet new people! If they're nice, I'm sure we'll make fast friends, but if they're not, we might have to kill them, which would be sad. Well, let's see what our Venture Captain has for us this time, right!"

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

"I was hoping for quiet conversation." admits Kultanien.

"But you are right, being a Starfinder is pretty action packed. There was this race that was livecast across the station..."


Luanna has not posted yet, but we will go ahead and get started. She can join in when she is ready.

After a few more minutes of waiting, First Seeker Luwazi Elsebo enters the room. She appears uncharacteristically extravagant, having exchanged her typical stationwear for a sleek, fashionable suit in a shade of copper that matches the Starfinder Society logo emblazoned on the table. Behind her stands the towering vesk leader of the Acquisitives faction, Radaszam, wearing a suit of ceremonial armor.

Luwazi smiles and gestures to the seats, taking her own behind the guest. "A pleasure to see you all. I think we're still waiting on one more person to arrive, but we can get started in the meantime. I trust you've heard about tonight's gala? I have a rather important announcement to make, so we've decided to use the opportunity to entertain and impress representatives of the various interests who have helped the Starfinder Society through our setbacks with the Scoured Stars Incident.

"That's where you come in. As some of the shining stars of the newest Starfinder Society agents, I'd like to have you mingle with the guests so they can see for themselves what we've been able to accomplish. It's nothing too fancy; I'd just like you all to be polite and talk about some of your experiences with the Society so far. We’re expecting some government dignitaries, investors, corporate interests, and the like, so be sure to stay on your best behavior. Also, don’t be afraid to brag a bit—it's our goal to impress them."

"But don't be stupid," the armored vesk breaks in.

Luwazi Elsebo glances over her shoulder and grins. "Have you all met Radaszam? He's certainly someone else you should be trying to impress."

Radaszam scowls. "Events like this never go as planned. Luwazi's contracted one of my merc outfits, the Obsidian Spiders, to provide security for the night. I want to make sure that if anything goes down, you're working with my agents, rather than us all tripping over one another. So stay alert, but if anything happens, make sure you're talking to me about it rather than jumping in blindly."

The First Seeker nods and picks up the datapad. "I've singled out five guests who I would really like to make a good impression with. These folks should be your priority tonight, so I've compiled basic information about each of them here. Things will start up in about an hour in the Skyreach Room. Any questions before we go?"

Your comm units beep softly as they receive the list of guests from Luwazi.

Each of you can make a Culture check to see what you know about some of the guests. The DC for this check is 10. If you succeed, you can choose one of the five guests and learn more about them. If you succeed the check by 10 or more, you can choose two of the guests. You can choose which guests you know about after all PCs have rolled but before I provide you the information.

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

Cultures: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Holy cow! I will take Iteration-177 and Zo!

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4

Karish is not Trained in Culture can he roll something else or I can roll Culture although I do not have any training in that skill?


Since the DC is 10, you can still try to make a Culture check untrained.

Iteration-177: Iteration-177 is a relative newcomer to the Aspis Consortium. In addition to making waves by urging Consortium support of the Starfinders, they have an interest in religious artifacts and connections.

Zo!: Zo! is an undead media mogul well known throughout the Pact Worlds, always looking for an idea for a new show, strategies to improve his ratings, or other lucrative entertainment deals. His organization funded the recent Society expedition to Salvation's End, and he is keenly interested in further exploration of the false moon.

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4

Culture: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21


Nice! Karish, you can choose two of the remaining guests to know more about: either Naiaj, Royo, or Ykris.

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4

Karish will choose Royo and Ykris


Royo: The ysoki Royo has something of a rivalry with Historia-7 and the Dataphiles faction, and he tends to snub individuals who he perceives to rely overmuch on technological "crutches." He's also an elected member of the Forum, the Starfinder Society's governing council.

Ykris: The alien symbiote Ykris represents CeriCore Labs. Business-wise, the corporation has very little to gain from the Starfinder Society's endeavors, but it nevertheless made a substantial donation; rumors suggest the contribution was someone’s pet project.

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

Kultanien has a think about the guests...
culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
"I've heard a bit about Naiaj.." she offers...


Naiaj: Naiaj is a bleachling gnome with a fierce protectiveness of the Starfinders who encourages—some say demands— competence and teamwork from Society agents. She's a venture-captain who served long before the Scoured Stars incident

That's all of them!

Wayfinders

NG Female Damaya Lashunta Spacefarer Star Shaman Mystic 1 | SP 6/6; HP 10/10 RP 4/4 | Init +0; Perception +7; F +0; R +0; W +5 | EAC 12; KAC 13 Spells 1st L: 0/3 Conditions: none.

A female voice with a Lashunta accent intrudes into everyone's consciousness, "Sorry I'm late. No one seems to ever be using the silo lift at this time but there's some big event on this level and everyone's dressed to the 99's, took forever to get up here."

Just entering the room, her face a little flushed with exertion, is a damaya lashunta woman. She has long black hair which sparkles with glints of light, like stars in a dark night sky. She wears a station flight suit. She has a garment bag over one shoulder with some fancier clothes to wear over the suit. On her other shoulder is a medkit. She has a long sword slung over her back and a semi-automatic pistol on her hip. A starstone compass sits in a sheath on her belt.

She smiles at everyone and looks over someone's shoulder at the mission briefing and whispers, "What did I miss?"

Luanna is more of a scientist who has not really studied other cultures for a while.

Culture, untrained: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

"Any of these unusual types use telepathy or any that mind if someone speaks to them telepathically?"

She glances over at the food table and a sweet roll lifts into the air and glides over to her waiting hand and she listens to the discussion.


"Glad you could make it, Luanna." Luwazi says. She gives the lashunta a shorter version of the briefing.

"Ykris sometimes speaks through its host, but it can communicate telepathically as well," Luwazi says. "It might respond favorably to that method of conversation."

Wayfinders

NG Female Damaya Lashunta Spacefarer Star Shaman Mystic 1 | SP 6/6; HP 10/10 RP 4/4 | Init +0; Perception +7; F +0; R +0; W +5 | EAC 12; KAC 13 Spells 1st L: 0/3 Conditions: none.

"Do we know what languages they speak? I speak a few but I also know a spell that can give someone the ability to speak the same languages I do for a day."

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

"That's a neat idea for a magic spell Luanna. Did you make it yourself, or did someone teach you how to do it? How long did it take to learn? Also, if we're going to a party, I assume that I won't get to bring my armor or my gun? Are you going to give us nice, shiny clothes to wear? I don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford a nice dress or anything like that. The last time I wore a dress was my graduation ceremony, which was a couple of years before I joined the Starfinders. Anyway, I look forward to meeting Zo!, if only because he's the only undead entertainment person I've ever heard of. Most of the undead are pretty sad about living past their time, but he sounds like fun!"


"I'm not sure, individually, which languages each guests speak. But they all know Common--it's called that for a reason, you know! You won't have trouble talking to them," Luwazi says.

She turns to Gidget. "You don't have to get dressed up. You can keep your gear on you--after all, it's part of the air of adventure that we're trying to sell our guests!"

Wayfinders

NG Female Damaya Lashunta Spacefarer Star Shaman Mystic 1 | SP 6/6; HP 10/10 RP 4/4 | Init +0; Perception +7; F +0; R +0; W +5 | EAC 12; KAC 13 Spells 1st L: 0/3 Conditions: none.

"Understood. Sometimes, people respond better to conversation in their native language, is all. It's easy enough to spot someone speaking with an accent, so I'll play it by ear, so to speak." Luanna winked as she made her little play on words.

At Gidget's mention of weapons, Luanna glanced at the hilt of her sword rising just above her left shoulder and then down at the pistol on her right side. "Don't let these weapons fool you. I was raised on Triaxus and my parents were officers in the Ko army. We had to wear our weapons at all time and it's gotten to be a habit, even though I'm only competent enough to avoid hurting myself when I use them."

She glanced around to see what weapons the others were packing. Seeing a couple of rifles she assumed that if push came to firefight, their owners would be first into the breach.

She patted a blue emblem on her shoulder that signified someone qualified to serve as a medical first responder. "I hope we won't be getting into any fights, but if anyone needs any medical help, I'm a doctor and a star shaman, so I can provide aid with standard science and with magic. Just think my name and I'll find you and help as I can."

To Gidget, Luanna thinks, "I learned magic over many cold nights with my star shaman mentor, Niessia Frialis, a ryphorian on Triaxus, where I grew up. She had me watch and learn from the swirling colors of the aurora."

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

"Aww, man, that's a cool story. I wish I could learn magic. I wanted to learn when I was younger, but I was told I didn't have the temperament to do it and so they told me to practice wearing armor instead, which is also pretty cool. What do you think of my armor?"

Because I just decided it: Her armor has a pastel colored painting on it of Gidget herself walking through a field, holding hands with a Vesk and an Android. Both the Vesk and Android look unsurprisingly uncomfortable, as if they have no idea how they got there or why they're doing what they're doing.

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

"And when does this party start?" asks Kultanien.

"I do look forward to meeting these new people. It should prove most instructive."


"The gala begins in about three hours," Luwazi says. "You'll be expected in the Skyreach Room then. If you need to make any necessary preparations or quick purchases, now's the time to do it." She smiles and stands. "I have to go make sure everything is in order. I'll see you soon."

Radaszam gives you a nod and follows her out of the room.

Let me know if you want to do anything before the party starts. You should now finalize your boon slots if you haven't done so already. Please note that starship combat is not featured in this scenario.

Wayfinders

NG Female Damaya Lashunta Spacefarer Star Shaman Mystic 1 | SP 6/6; HP 10/10 RP 4/4 | Init +0; Perception +7; F +0; R +0; W +5 | EAC 12; KAC 13 Spells 1st L: 0/3 Conditions: none.

"So it's all right attend wearing the armor and other gear we normally wear on missions?" Luanna asks, chewing on a sweet roll as she speaks with telepathy. She looks down at her well worn flight suit and shrugs. "I think I'll see if I can't find something to cover up some of the stains on this old thing. Anyone care to join me? There are some shops that sell accessories that go with flight suits and other armor near here. ".

Glancing at Gidget's armor she smiles and hastens to add, "Not all of us have cool armor decorations like Gidget here.".

As the briefing breaks up, Luanna thinks to the group, "When I was at the recruitment interview, the Vesk was all, 'This ain't gonna be no walk in the park! You're gonna find yerself neck deep in parasite infested swamps and adrift in spaceships and yada yada.' And what's my first mission? A fancy soiree! I hope the food is good!"

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

Gidget does not even seem to have noticed that Luanna communicated telepathically. in response to her, Gidget says "I can't go shopping, cause I don't have any money. That's a shame, too, because it sounds really fun! I remember that Vesk! I told him not to be a meanie, and then I gave him a hug. He was pretty quiet after that, but I'm guessing he was trying not to cry. I hope the food is good too! and Kultainen is right, meeting new people is fun, even if they end up being terrible people who want to steal your armor and weapons. Then, I give them my ammunition, and they stop being terrible people!"

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

Male Human Bounty Hunter Arcane Soldier 3: Spd:20, Init:7, SP:27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/4, EAC:16, KAC:18, Fort:5, Reflex:6, Will:5, Perc:0

Ah, Gidget, I'm sure there will be wonderful people.

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

Kulanien makes no purchases, but heads off quickly.

"Food... that would be nice, but the conversation is the important bit here. A chance to not just go to a party, but one of movers and shakers on the station."

Kultainen almost purrs to herself.


Luanna purchases a few decorations for her armor, while the rest of you browse around the shops but don't buy anything. The three hours seem to fly by, and you return to the Lorespire Complex in time for the gala.

The lift doors open into the Skyreach Room, a classy space made breathtaking by large windows set into the vaulted ceiling, providing a shining view of the Armada orbiting Absalom Station and the galaxy beyond. A low stage with black skirting and a sleek podium overlooks the room from the far end of the hall. A dozen or so guests, representing a surprising array of races, mingle in twos and threes, while servers in sharp vests bring around a variety of bizarre snacks and drinks. A curly-haired AV technician arranges the wiring along one side of the stage, and Luwazi stands at the other side speaking with a damaya lashunta man.

The First Seeker gives you a wave and then gestures to the crowd. You easily pick out the five notable guests you are here to impress.

Iteration-177 has silvery skin and a circuitry pattern that shines nearly white. They wear Absalom Station's latest fashions in shades of black, white and gray.

Naiaj has made no concessions to the formality of this event: she wears her usual carbon-skin armor and taps away on a datapad while her wrist-based comm unit constantly blinks with updates. She wears her gleaming white hair cropped close, and despite her small size, she looks as if she could stare down a team of hardened vesk mercenaries.

Royo wears immaculate formalwear about 20 years out of date; his tawny fur is beginning to go silver around his whiskers and paws. He wears elegant spectacles, and tucked beneath one arm is a small folio of physical paper. He stands among a circle of scholars engaged in an exuberant discussion of esoteric topics.

A clean-cut, half-elf man sips a glass of bourbon. As he turns, you spot an iridescent, segmented insect clinging to the base of his neck. This must be Ykris and its host. Upon
closer inspection, it becomes clear that many of Ykris's spiny legs pierce the man's skin and sink deeply into his flesh.

Zo! is extremely hard to miss: an elegant undead elebrian with refined features and an extended cranium. His face bears a permanent rictus grin, which adds another level of enthusiasm to his exaggerated interactions as he hobnobs among the other guests.

We will now begin a series of "social rounds" as you attempt to influence the guests. There will be 8 rounds in total. Each guest has a number of skills that you can use to successfully influence them. You must succeed at four of these checks to completely win over a guest.

Repeated tactics lose their effectiveness: each attempt to use a skill that has already been used to influence a single NPC incurs a cumulative –2 penalty. Repeated failures run the risk of offending the NPC or demonstrating incompetence; after three failed attempts to influence a given NPC using the same skill, that guest is no longer interested in speaking with the PCs and cannot be impressed.

Each PC can attempt one check to influence a single guest during each social round. A PC can use her action for a social round to attempt a skill check to aid another PC in place of attempting a skill check to influence the NPC directly. If a PC is not sure what kind of check to attempt, she can make light conversation in lieu of attempting a check for that round, learning something about the NPC’s background, interests, involvement in the society, or personality to gain a hint of appropriate skill checks to attempt to influence that individual. PCs partaking in such "small talk" can attempt a DC 10 Sense Motive check to learn an appropriate skill to influence the NPC with. For every 5 points the PC exceeds the Sense Motive DC by, she learns one additional skill that can be used to influence the NPC.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

Kultanien approaches Naiaj, engaging her in small talk to find out what really interests the gnome.
sense motive: 1d20 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (11) + 3 + (4) = 18

"Hello there Naiaj. I have heard about you. When my team and I were doing our Commencement we had time to chat about the Society. It's amazing what we managed to do together."

She leans closer

"We even managed to pick up the latest Strawberry Machine Cake albumn. Although I'm not sure how to interpret their music..."

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4

Karish will come to Zo!.
A beautiful party Mr Zo!, isn't it? You have a fine suit on yourself, I can notice! I heard you organized an expedition to Salvation's End. I suppose it was fun and interesting. Do you only have interest in travel and research or do you have other interests?

Sense motive: 1d20 ⇒ 14


"You should interpret it as a frivolous distraction, just like all other music," Naiaj says bluntly. "You should be focusing your efforts on planning and preparing for your missions. Otherwise, you're likely to take a laser blast to the chest or get one the Society's ships blown up while you're in the field."

Her comm unit beeps, and she scowls down at her datapad again. After a few moments, she looks up at Kultainen. "We need competent new recruits to replace the ones we lost in the Scoured Stars incident. I hope you can live up to that standard."

You can impress Naiaj with a successful Computers or Piloting check to demonstrate competence in the field.

---

Zo! grins at Karish as the lashunta approaches. "Hey there! How ya doin'? Like the suit? Got it custom-made for this shindig!" He shakes the technomancer's hand, his bony grip ice-cold.

"Well, well, well! You heard about my interest in Salvation's End, eh? It was your Starfinder Society that actually did the legwork--I just helped fund it! Now that you guys got the claim to explore it, we're gonna turn it into a big hit--a new reality show focusing on the first Starfinders to explore the false moon! It's gonna be huge, kid! Bigger than The Necromancer, and that show ran for two hundred seasons! We're gonna rule the ratings, I just know it!"

He claps Karish on the shoulder. "I've got my eye out for new talent. The show's gonna have a lot of action scenes, so we need some action stars! Got anybody you could recommend?"

You can impress Zo! with a successful Acrobatics check.

You can continue to make small talk with your chosen guests until everybody has made their first skill check, then we will begin the second social round and everybody can make their second skill check.

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4

I think I would be a great choice!
Karish comes to the narrow long wooden board and jump on. He begins to walk on board to show how good balance he has.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
And falls on his nose.
Auuu..

Wayfinders

NG Female Damaya Lashunta Spacefarer Star Shaman Mystic 1 | SP 6/6; HP 10/10 RP 4/4 | Init +0; Perception +7; F +0; R +0; W +5 | EAC 12; KAC 13 Spells 1st L: 0/3 Conditions: none.

Luanna strolls in and makes one circuit around the room, smiling and greeting guests, identifying our assigned group, picking up an hors d'oeuvre and a cyan colored, bubbly drink, but also seeing if she can spot Radaszam and/or the Obsidian Spiders.

When she sees Royo engaged in conversation with scholars, she approaches, listens attentively for a while and when they seem to have reached the end of discussion on a topic, she jumps in. If no one else in the group is speaking telepathically, she speaks with sounds.

"Representative Royo, it is an honor to meet one of those distinguished souls guiding the Starfinder Society in these difficult times. I am Luanna Farella, a new recruit to the society. Just got my papers last week! I'm so excited and looking forward to my first mission!" She pauses and allows for greetings and such pleasantries.

Then she says, "Anyway, seeing your paper document takes me back to my years at the Preita Polynoetics Institute on Triaxus. I loved it there! When I walked into the library, I was amazed! They have shelves and shelves of actual books! The smell of old paper still gives me a rush.

"While I was there I met a scholar who had a fascinating hypothesis about the existence of what she called poeticons, insubstantial particles that formed larger units, much like atoms form molecules. These in turn combined into more complex forms, some even taking on what we might call life, reproducing as ideas are shared with others and residing in our minds, but also on paper." For emphasis, Luanna pointed to the document held by Royo.

"This scholar--her name was Dr. Usim Campa-- thought that the current reliance on digital media might distort these entities and make it harder for them to reproduce. Have you heard of that idea? She thinks that magic spells are actually living noetical constructs that interface with physical reality and produce the physical effects."

Mysticsm: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

If a PC learns of a skill that could be used to impress a guest, can other PCs make use of that information in the same round or would we have to wait for the next round at a point where we could have shared something of what we learned about what interests a guest with the other PCs?


Luanna spots Radaszam keeping an eye on the gala from near the lift. Four men and women in sleek black armor are stationed strategically around the room--the Obsidian Spiders, no doubt.

Royo nods at the lashunta as she introduces herself. "Yes, hello," the ysoki says brusquely.

He smiles slightly when Luanna espouses her appreciation for the library, but when she talks about Dr. Campa's theory, he chuckles derisively. The other scholars nearby echo his laughter.

"That is an amusing idea, but a preposterous one! Casting a spell is simply harnessing the latent magical energy that permeates the universe to achieve a specific, measured effect. A spell is no more alive than a tool or weapon. Even summoning magic merely creates a facsimile of a creature, not an actual living, breathing thing!"

You're on the right track, but didn't roll quite high enough unfortunately! You can try again during the next round. In the mean time, Gidget and Huckle Jim still need to make their first skill check before we move on to the second social round.

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

I assume I can't try one of those skills in the same round that I discovered them?

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

Gidget will approach Iteration-177 and say "Hello, my name is Gidget, and I certainly know who you are. Some people might even say you're famous! So, what do you think of the Starfinder Society, and what about this party? I know you want to make friends here, and so do I. I'd like to hear about which if the Gods you find the most fascinating and why!"


Correct, Kultainen. You will have to wait until next round.

Iteration-177 smiles at Gidget. "Famous, am I? Well, how about that. I have never had my reputation precede me before. It is an interesting experience!"

They gesture around the room. "This gala is fabulous, as is the Starfinder Society. As for the gods, hmmm... All of them are rather fascinating, don't you think? It is so hard to choose."

Gidget, you can either make a Sense Motive check to learn about which skill to use or attempt a skill check that you think will work.

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

I'm just going to roll Diplomacy, since we're getting along so well. I need to remember to put ranks in a social skill.

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

Male Human Bounty Hunter Arcane Soldier 3: Spd:20, Init:7, SP:27/27, HP:25/25, RP:4/4, EAC:16, KAC:18, Fort:5, Reflex:6, Will:5, Perc:0

Seeing how Karish failed his acrobatics, he will show him how it is done acrobatics: 7 + 1d20 ⇒ 7 + (12) = 19


Gidget continues to chat pleasantly with Iteration-177. The android seems taken with the ysoki soldier's stories of her adventures as a Starfinder. "Quite impressive! I would love to hear more about the interesting missions you have been on."

Special: Talking about a previous Starfinder Society mission (one for which a PC has a Chronicle sheet) allows a character to attempt a Diplomacy check with no penalty even if another PC has already succeeded at one Diplomacy check to influence Iteration-177.

---

Karish jumps onto a narrow serving table to try to impress Zo!, but it isn't long before he wobbles and falls to the floor. "Oh, ouch! That's gotta hurt! I don't know if you're cut out for this line of work, kid!"

Huckle Jim comes over though and shows off, making all sorts of dramatic leaps and tumbles around the undead media mogul. Zo! breaks into applause. "Alright, now that's what I'm talking about! Those are exactly the kind of moves that belong on camera. I can see it now--racing through the trap-lined halls of a derelict space station, dodging lasers and darts and, hmm, maybe a big rolling ball of doom! What's your name, son?"

One success towards influencing Iteration-177, and one towards influencing Zo! It's time for round 2! Karish already made his second roll, but everybody else can make their skill check now. You can continue speaking to the same guest or choose a different one if you want.

Wayfinders

M damaya lashunta Lashunta/ xenoseeker/ Technomancer / 6 | LG | SP 36/36 HP 34/34 RP 8/8 | EAC 22; KAC 23, | Fort +5; Ref +5; Will +6; | Init:+3, Percep:+7 |spells: 1st 6/6; 2nd 4/4
DM Brainiac wrote:
One success towards influencing Iteration-177, and one towards influencing Zo! It's time for round 2! Karish already made his second roll, but everybody else can make their skill check now. You can continue speaking to the same guest or choose a different one if you want.

You wrote that I made 2 rolls, but I had only one Acrobatics roll. Only if you counted the Sense motive roll in that case I had 2 rolls. Which of these two is true?


The Sense Motive roll counts as your action in the first round. You can only make one check a round, so the Acrobatics roll would happen now in the second round. When everybody else has made their second check, then you can make your third check.

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

Gidget will say "Okay, so there was this one time that...: and continue to tell the story of her time on Akiton. I'm telling the story of fugitive on the red planet, but I want to avoid spoilers (and also because GM credit).


That will be another Diplomacy check, Gidget.

Wayfinders

NG Female Damaya Lashunta Spacefarer Star Shaman Mystic 1 | SP 6/6; HP 10/10 RP 4/4 | Init +0; Perception +7; F +0; R +0; W +5 | EAC 12; KAC 13 Spells 1st L: 0/3 Conditions: none.
Royo wrote:

He smiles slightly when Luanna espouses her appreciation for the library, but when she talks about Dr. Campa's theory, he chuckles derisively. The other scholars nearby echo his laughter.

"That is an amusing idea, but a preposterous one! Casting a spell is simply harnessing the latent magical energy that permeates the universe to achieve a specific, measured effect. A spell is no more alive than a tool or weapon. Even summoning magic merely creates a facsimile of a creature, not an actual living, breathing thing!"

Luanna smiles graciously and nods, but then says, "A reasonable position for some spells, perhaps, like force blast or fog cloud. But what about a spell like share language, which I happen to know? What 'latent magical energy' is there that would allow you to speak lashunta, Triaxian, and celestial if I were to cast that spell and touch you? Doesn't it make more sense to hypothesize a living entity who becomes like a personal translator for 24 hours? The same goes for any other spells which mimic not simple energies but effects only achievable by a living breathing beings such as ourselves, like charm and suggestion."

Mysticism: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Can you clarify this sentence from above? "Repeated tactics lose their effectiveness: each attempt to use a skill that has already been used to influence a single NPC incurs a cumulative –2 penalty." Does the phrase "a skill that has already been used to influence" mean a successful use or is it any use, whether successful or not? Does it apply to all uses of the same skill by anyone, or only when the same PC uses the same check on the same NPC?

For example, was Luanna's 2nd mysticism check at a -2? How about Huckle Jim's acrobatics check after Karish failed? Was Huckle Jim's at a -2?

Wayfinders

Envoy-4: EAC 15; KAC 15; Perc +7; SM +5(+1d6) (KEEN OBSERVER); Init +1; Fort +4; Ref +4; Will +2; Res 6/6; Stam 28/28; HP 28/28; Envoy

Kultanien, as she does the rounds, lets the other starfinders know that if they want to try and influence, Naiaj then Computers or Piloting would be good topics of conversation.

And I'm assuming the other Starfinders are sharing their knowledge too)

This time she slips over to talk with Royo to see if she can work out what makes the aged Yoski tick.

sense motive: 1d20 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (16) + 3 + (1) = 20

skills to influence folk:

You can impress Naiaj with a successful Computers or Piloting check to demonstrate competence in the field.
You can impress Zo! with a successful Acrobatics check. (used once); One failure;
Iteration 177Talking about a previous Starfinder Society mission (one for which a PC has a Chronicle sheet) allows a character to attempt a Diplomacy check with no penalty even if another PC has already succeeded at one Diplomacy check to influence Iteration-177. (Regular diplomacy already used once)
I think we only have the two at the moment?


Royo chews on his pipe thoughtfully as Luanna lays out her argument. "Hmm, yes. Perhaps you do have a point there, my dear. I suppose this hypothesis could do with some more study and research. It seems like a stretch, to be sure, but one never should discount a possibility just because it seems impossible at first." The ysoki seems impressed.

As Kultainen listens to the conversation and makes some small talk of her own, she realizes Royo seems quite keen on numerous scholarly subjects.

In addition to Mysticism, you can also use Life Science, Medicine, or Physical Science to impress Royo.

The -2 penalty only applies after a skill has been used successfully. So Jim and Luanna didn't take a penalty on this check, but further checks with the same skill will now take the penalty.

You currently have one success towards Iteration-177, Royo, and Zo! After Gidget and Jim make their rolls for this round, we will move on to round 3.

Exo-Guardians

Female NG Ysoki Soldier 3 (Themeless) | HP; 23 | SP: 27 | KAC: 24; EAC: 21 | Fort: +5; Ref: +4; Will: +3 *+2 vs. spells and SL | Initiative: +3 | Perception +0

Diplomacy: 1d20 ⇒ 15

1 to 50 of 750 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Starfinder Society Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.