DM Bigrin's Second Darkness

Game Master bigrin42

A foul omen looms in the sky over the scoundrel city of Riddleport, an ominous shadow that defies the light. Is it a curse laid millennia ago by forgotten mages? Does it forewarn against the return of some terrible foe? Or does it portend a terrible


8,551 to 8,600 of 8,656 << first < prev | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | next > last >>

Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Ha. I misread it too. I thought we were going to have a fight here...

"Yes, and the war we're waging here doesn't mater at all," Calla grumbles.


Male Goblin Wizard 12 (Abjurer); Init +2; Fly 40 ft.; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +5; AC 18 (touch 14, flatfooted 16; +2 Dex., +1 size, +1 natural, +4 armour), hp 58/84; Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +10

"Yes, your brother sent a note," Anklebiter replies, "but please consider: before he was called away, he agreed that our cause is deserving of celestial aid and consented to assist us for a whole month!

We are engaged in conflict with a group of demon-summoning and demon-aided Drow, who seek to repeat the tragedy of Starfall and thus annihilate the Elf kingdom of Kyonin! We are close to the final battle, but we desperately need help. We face a master Wizard who knows we're coming, and she is the head of a Drow House.

Please, if you cannot find time in your schedule to assist us, leave freely and with my blessing. You are not my slave and I wish not to constrain you. I only ask you leave open the gate, that I may call again and seek other assistance."


SFS Signup sheet

The deva closed his eyes and seemed in communion with someone beyond your senses. His eyes opened again and he nodded in assent. "Yes, I concur. Your cause is worthy. Though the battle rages in another plane, the struggle here is more than a local tragedy. And it impacts more than your planet alone. It seems that my presence here is worth more than my presence in that other battle. I will aid you."


Male Goblin Wizard 12 (Abjurer); Init +2; Fly 40 ft.; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +5; AC 18 (touch 14, flatfooted 16; +2 Dex., +1 size, +1 natural, +4 armour), hp 58/84; Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +10

"Movanic deva, I thank you. Come. The next battle awaits. Let me introduce you to my friends and comrades before we depart."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male(HP:(87/183; DR 2(3 when raging);AC:22/12/22;F+17,R+8,W+7;Init +0;Per +15) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 12

When the Deva is introduced to him, Lefrik nods, "Glad we are to have the help of goodly host. The last one proved crucial or else at least one of us would have been lost. I am Lefrik, Seventh Son of Oleg Giantbane."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 132/132, AC 26/13/24, F +14, R +15, W +6, Init +2, Per +15 (+18 traps)

"Bruendor Cavescouter, at your service," the dwarf states with a nod towards the deva. "It's a comfort to have Heaven's servant on our side. I know nothing of the war you speak of, but there are many of the Abyss-spawn here, so you should be able to strike a blow against them in these dark halls."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

"Calla," Calla says tersely. "Now, are we ready to go?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
half-elf Oracle 12 | HP 99 | AC 27/15/24 | F +7, R +8, W +10(+2) | init +3, Perception +8 | CMB +10, CMD 25

"Kelendra, and thank you for your service, noble deva." Kel is also ready to depart and end the threat of starfall.


SFS Signup sheet

With a new ally to hand, you set off towards the spot on your map marked The Weeping Cliffs, the direction in which the final glyph of warding lay. The Cliffs lay against he very Southern edge of the enormous cavern known as the Land of Black Blood, and you recall the shaitan genie, Haitan Bhaq, saying that it was guarded by 'ropers'.

After several hours of flying, you reach the area marked on your map, a sheer vertical cliff face that appears to ooze the viscous black liquid this land is known for from many points in the surface. If you hadn't been flying, ascending this cliff face would have been very trying. As it was, you simply aimed upwards, looking for signs of the glyph ward. Eventually, at a spot some 300 feet off the ground, you found a large cave entrance. Surrounding the entrance were the bones of many different creatures - some humanoid, and some not.

perception rolls:

anklebiter 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
bruendor 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30
calla 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (5) + 22 = 27
kelendra 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
lefrik 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

Scanning the area, Bruendor and Calla noticed that two of the large stalagmites near the entrance of the cave seem to be looking at you, watching your approach. Something is off about them.

K. Dungeoneering DC 25:

These creatures are ropers. The roper is an ambush hunter. Capable of altering the coloration and shape of its body, a roper in hiding looks remarkably like a stalagmite of stone or ice (or in low-ceilinged chambers, a stony or icy pillar). In areas without such features to hide among, a roper can compress its body into a much more squat, boulder-like shape. The strands it extrudes are not flesh but a thick, semi-liquid material similar to partially melted wax but with the strength of an iron chain and the ability to numb flesh and sap strength. The roper can manipulate these strands with great finesse, and can fling them as far as 50 feet to snatch objects that attract its attention.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Knowledge (dungeoneering): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Calla points out the creatures, but can't quite make enough out about them to recall more than their likely name -- and even that based more on the shaitan's words.

"But it looks like we'll need to get through them," she says. "I have no idea if they'll negotiate."


Male Goblin Wizard 12 (Abjurer); Init +2; Fly 40 ft.; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +5; AC 18 (touch 14, flatfooted 16; +2 Dex., +1 size, +1 natural, +4 armour), hp 58/84; Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +10

Knowledge (dungeoneering) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

"They're ropers. They can spit out strands of gunk up to 50 meters, then haul in prey. They're ambush predators that can knead and contract their own shape, look like stalagmites, stalactites or boulders. Their language ... um..."


Angel Init +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect evil, low-light vision; Perception +26; hp 86/126 (12d10+60) Fort +12, Ref +11, Will +9; DR 10/evil

Truespeech:
"You there, mortal ropers! We see you well, very well indeed. Wouldst parlay or enter battle bloody?"
the deva bellows at the ropers.


Homunculus Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +3; AC 14, touch 14, flat-footed 12 (+2 Dex, +2 size); hp 11; Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +1

"... Was that a smart thing to say?" Magpie asks, tentatively.


half-elf Oracle 12 | HP 99 | AC 27/15/24 | F +7, R +8, W +10(+2) | init +3, Perception +8 | CMB +10, CMD 25

"Hello, ropers, may we enter your cave?" Kel asks humbly.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (8) + 21 = 29


SFS Signup sheet

In answer, the ropers lashed out with their filaments, coming close to hitting the lead elements of your group, but falling just short.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

"Typical, just trying to grope Stars," Calla mutters acidly. "Let's either just go through them or see if there's a way around. Bruendor, do you want to look for the latter?"

She lifts her bow, read for the others to choose the former option.

IMO, we kill them or see if there's another entrance. From afar, I can probably just fill them (these two, at least) with arrows, without using up too many resources.


Male(HP:(87/183; DR 2(3 when raging);AC:22/12/22;F+17,R+8,W+7;Init +0;Per +15) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 12

"Their language, they...talk?" The Barbarian blinks. This should not be the most surprising thing he's learned in awhile, not in a world with stars falling and angels of good teaming up with a goblin. But somehow "Weird."


Angel Init +7; Senses darkvision 60 ft., detect evil, low-light vision; Perception +26; hp 86/126 (12d10+60) Fort +12, Ref +11, Will +9; DR 10/evil

"Indeed. Now let us see whether Evil rules their hearts," the deva proclaims.

Detect evil. If evil, followed by holy smite for 6d8 ⇒ (7, 1, 4, 2, 3, 3) = 20 damage, DC 18 will for half. Fail and be blinded for one round.


HP 132/132, AC 26/13/24, F +14, R +15, W +6, Init +2, Per +15 (+18 traps)

"I'll scout around, see if I can find a back way-", Bruendor starts to say, just as the deva blasts them with holy energies. "Or, we could knock on the front door, I guess." He draws his crossbow, ready to join in on the aerial assault.


half-elf Oracle 12 | HP 99 | AC 27/15/24 | F +7, R +8, W +10(+2) | init +3, Perception +8 | CMB +10, CMD 25

"Yes, sadly, killing them from afar is the safest path." Kel waits for the arrows and wrath to fly before the party can proceed to the cave's mouth.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

I can launch arrow after arrow after these things from out of their range. GM, do you want to go into initiative? Not sure it's worth the time (though obviously other things can happen during the fight, in which case, we would want to).


SFS Signup sheet

Given their limited reach is just shy of your ability to see them, there is no point in running the combat. I was just wondering what you'd do and what resources you might expend.

Deciding that discretion was key here, you hovered just outside of the ropers' tendrils' range and filled them with arrows. The stony exteriors of the creatures were apparently for appearance only, for the arrows and crossbow bolts pierced the creatures. They tried to close the gap, but your maneuverability easily held them off and in moments the battle was over.

The cave entrance was maybe 15 feet across, and about that high. From where you flew, the interior was almost completely dark, except for a faint source of light deep into the cave. The light came from now-familiar runes. Then, the area was lit by a crackling bolt of lightning emanating from the ward.

Here's the map


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Thanks. I'm all for running combats when there's a question of resources, but in this case, I didn't think I needed to use any except my inexhaustible arrows.

Calla looks around for any threats while she waits for Greenie and Stars to figure out what to do about the ward.

Perception: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (20) + 23 = 43 Boom!


Male(HP:(87/183; DR 2(3 when raging);AC:22/12/22;F+17,R+8,W+7;Init +0;Per +15) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 12

"More lightning? And me holding cold metal in my hands. " The barbarian looks about

Redundant Perception check but hey 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33


Male Goblin Wizard 12 (Abjurer); Init +2; Fly 40 ft.; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +5; AC 18 (touch 14, flatfooted 16; +2 Dex., +1 size, +1 natural, +4 armour), hp 58/84; Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +10

"Hold on. I think I can fix that."
Anklebiter quickly chants a spell, enshrouding the whole group.

Communal protection from electricity is a-go!


half-elf Oracle 12 | HP 99 | AC 27/15/24 | F +7, R +8, W +10(+2) | init +3, Perception +8 | CMB +10, CMD 25

Kel has communal resist energy, does that work along with the protection from energy? If so, she'll use that


SFS Signup sheet
CRB wrote:
Protection from energy overlaps (and does not stack with) resist energy. If a character is warded by protection from energy and resist energy, the protection spell absorbs damage until its power is exhausted.

Anklebiter and Kelendra wove their protection spells, and Calla peered through the darkened cave entrance to look at the glyph ward. She could see no signs of danger.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Calla -- realizing magic is here but trying to make more sense of it -- intones a quick prayer and tries to look around.

Detect magic
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32


SFS Signup sheet

The magic of the glyph ward burns brightly in Calla's vision. The fury of the glyph is apparently in the red-and-black mass of color in the arcane spectrum.


Male Goblin Wizard 12 (Abjurer); Init +2; Fly 40 ft.; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +5; AC 18 (touch 14, flatfooted 16; +2 Dex., +1 size, +1 natural, +4 armour), hp 58/84; Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +10

Anklebiter peeks at the glyph and intones his own spell...

Read magic; spellcraft 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (12) + 20 = 32


SFS Signup sheet

Bask in secrets once concealed,
unleashed magics now revealed.
Raging fury, boiling wrath,
no calm ere the aftermath.

More knowledge can be gained as per the other ward...touching the ward and studying it for a minute


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Figuring she's well protected and it's worked for the others, Calla reaches out to do just that.


Male Goblin Wizard 12 (Abjurer); Init +2; Fly 40 ft.; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +5; AC 18 (touch 14, flatfooted 16; +2 Dex., +1 size, +1 natural, +4 armour), hp 58/84; Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +10

"Bugger," Anklebiter curses, with feeling. "Calla, stop. I'm going to have to touch it to find out its weaknesses. No arguing! It has to be me; once the spells run out, I still have Energy Absorption to keep me safe. But first we need to make sure there aren't any ropers lurking nearby."


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

"If they are, I don't see them," she replies. I can't do a better Perception check than I did above. If you want to touch it, please let the GM know.


SFS Signup sheet

Fair warning...the ward glyph is 40 feet into the cave. You all were standing at the entrance.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

OK, thanks.

"Maybe send your little flying monkey?" Calla suggests, waiting for Bruendor to make sure the floor is safe to continue. Check for traps?


HP 132/132, AC 26/13/24, F +14, R +15, W +6, Init +2, Per +15 (+18 traps)

"I'm coming with you, AB," Bruendor says. "I don't like having you that exposed without someone to back you up." Bruendor brooks no argument with the goblin wizard, instead turning his attention to making certain the way is clear.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35 +3 if traps


half-elf Oracle 12 | HP 99 | AC 27/15/24 | F +7, R +8, W +10(+2) | init +3, Perception +8 | CMB +10, CMD 25

"Hold a moment and let me send an illusion down the way first." Kel creates a shimmering party of heroes and sends them into the cave.

cast minor image and send the fake party to the wards


Male(HP:(87/183; DR 2(3 when raging);AC:22/12/22;F+17,R+8,W+7;Init +0;Per +15) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 12

"Good thinking" The Ulfen grunts


SFS Signup sheet

GM screen:

1d4 ⇒ 3
1d100 ⇒ 97

inits
anklebiter 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
kelendra 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
bruendor 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
calla 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
lefrik 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1
ropers 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Bruendor and Anklebiter waited for the latest lightning strike to hit, gauging the timing between rounds. They moved in swiftly, Bruendor's eyes sweeping ahead of them for traps. He was so focused on the way ahead that he almost missed the subtle movement above him. Looking up, he saw another of the ropers clinging to the cave ceiling, its tendrils lashing and ready to attack!

Round 1:

R1: bruendor, calla, ropers, anklebiter, kelendra, lefrik

here's the map

current status:

anklebiter 77/77
bruendor 110/110
calla 92/92
kelendra 91/91
lefrik 168/168

roper (white) -0
roper (yellow) -0


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Status:

HP 101/101
AC 26/29, touch 18, flat-footed 21/24
Fort +12*, Ref +10*, Will +14*; CMD 28
Divine retribution (DC 18) 0/6; Judgments 1/4; Bane 0/12; Discern lies 0/12
cold iron arrows 0/21; elf-bane arrows 0/3; human bane arrows 0/4
Spells: 0/6 (first-level); 0/6 (second level); 0/5 (third level); 0/3 (4th level)
Consumables: Gravity Bow ring 0/3
Effects: Destruction judgment (+3 damage); Justice judgment (+3 to hit; +6 to confirm criticals); heroism (+2 morale bonus on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks); greater magic weapon (+1/+2 to bow)

Calla steps to get a better view of the nearer creature and -- calling down Calistria's judgment on their foes -- opens fire.

"More of the damn things!" she curses.

Swift: Activate destruction and justice judgment
Free: 5-ft. step to AG-31
Full: open fire
+1 adaptive composite longbow (Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, heroism, greater magic weapon, justice judgment): 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34
Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 3 = 17
+1 adaptive composite longbow (Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, heroism, greater magic weapon, justice judgment): 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34
Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 8 + 3 = 13
+1 adaptive composite longbow (Rapid Shot, Deadly Aim, heroism, greater magic weapon, justice judgment): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Damage: 1d8 + 8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 8 + 3 = 12


HP 132/132, AC 26/13/24, F +14, R +15, W +6, Init +2, Per +15 (+18 traps)

Instinct kicks in as Bruendor notices the ropers' sinewy tendrils flicking towards him. "AB! Get behind me!", he shouts, positioning himself between the roper and the goblin.

Total defense, which will increase my AC to 32 for this round. I'll take a move to position myself between AB and whichever roper Calla didn't shoot at. I believe that would be the yellow one.


SFS Signup sheet

GM screen:

c
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
1d6 ⇒ 1
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
1d6 ⇒ 5
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
1d6 ⇒ 1

l
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
1d6 ⇒ 4
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
1d6 ⇒ 5
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
1d6 ⇒ 1

b
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
1d6 ⇒ 4
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
1d6 ⇒ 5
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
1d6 ⇒ 5

a
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
1d6 ⇒ 5
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
1d6 ⇒ 3
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
1d6 ⇒ 2

Calla opened fire on the nearest roper, taking a step to the side to get a better look at it. Its dark, mottled skin almost perfectly mimicked the stone behind it, but Calla had sharp eyes. Arrow after arrow plunged into the creature, but it did not release its grip on the ceiling. Instead, it lashed out at her with its tendrils, the fine filaments covered with sticky glue. They quested towards her and Lefrik both, and whatever they touched was immediately stuck fast to the fine filaments. The glue also had a numbing effect that seemed to steal strength.

Near the glyph, Bruendor and Anklebiter were also wrapped in the filaments, although the dwarf managed to keep all but one away from him.

Combat Update:

Calla is hit by 3 filaments and must make 3 DC 25 Fort saves.

Lefrik is hit by 2 filaments and must make 2 DC 25 Fort saves.

Bruendor is hit by 1 filament and must make 1 DC 25 Fort save.

Calla is hit by 2 filaments and must make 2 DC 25 Fort saves.

I need you guys to resolve those fort saves before we go forward.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Fortitude (with Shake It Off), stalwart: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 2 = 31
Fortitude (with Shake It Off), stalwart: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 12 + 2 = 28
Fortitude (with Shake It Off), stalwart: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 12 + 2 = 28
Fortitude (with Shake It Off), stalwart: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 + 2 = 33
Fortitude (with Shake It Off), stalwart: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 2 = 27

Calla snarls in defiance at the roper, planning to kill it in the next few seconds.

I suspect the last two that hit me actually meant AB, but I think it's fine if I make the saves for him.


SFS Signup sheet

Yep, AB. C&P error


half-elf Oracle 12 | HP 99 | AC 27/15/24 | F +7, R +8, W +10(+2) | init +3, Perception +8 | CMB +10, CMD 25

if Lefrik gets stuck, then Kel will use Freedom of Movement on him


HP 132/132, AC 26/13/24, F +14, R +15, W +6, Init +2, Per +15 (+18 traps)

Fort save: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27

Bruendor feels an icy numbness where the roper's tendril strikes him, but the eerie sensation is momentary. He massages his forearm where the strand touched him, feeling sensation slowly return.


Male(HP:(87/183; DR 2(3 when raging);AC:22/12/22;F+17,R+8,W+7;Init +0;Per +15) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 12

Fort Save #1 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25
Fort Save #2 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34

"Ugh! Feels like the back rows of a Cheliax opera house all over."


SFS Signup sheet

Fort saves only prevent the STR damage. You are still stuck.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 101, AC 26/18/21, F +12*, R +10*, W +14*, Init +8, Per +22 Inquisitor 12

Anklebiter Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Anklebiter Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

"DMPC'ing" Anklebiter...

8,551 to 8,600 of 8,656 << first < prev | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Bigrin's Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.