Cottonseed PFS PbP (2E)

Game Master Michael Hallet

A part of the Flaxseed Pathfinder Lodge for the Pathfinder 2E.

Important links
Society Guide for second edition

Pregens formatted for use in a BBC code forum like this one.


1,901 to 1,950 of 2,218 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Venture-Captain PBP GM Tyranius PFS Reporting Tool | Scenario List | | PFS2E Scenario Tracker Scenario Sign-up Sheet
BlackoCatto wrote:
So I am assuming that I'd have to pump athletics to get a better trip result?

Correct

Grand Lodge

Tyranius wrote:
BlackoCatto wrote:
So I am assuming that I'd have to pump athletics to get a better trip result?
Correct

Would I get my melee bonuses from using a weapon for trip?


You mean like a +1 from a +1 rune? I don't think so but I'm not a rules expert. The text says you make a Trip attempt with fewer requirements, not that you make a special attack with your weapon.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Lieutenant, Online

If you use a weapon with the trip trait you get the item bonus to attacks to your Athletics check to trip.

Trip (weapon trait)


he/him

If you want to have fun tripping enemies, then:
- Pump Athletics. You can use you skill increases to get this to legendary. Compare this to weapon proficiency, which is locked by class.
- Trip weapons will grant you their item bonuses to Athletics rolls to trip. And you can drop the weapon if you critically fail (instead of falling prone.)
- Also consider the Titan Wrestler feat so you can trip larger enemies. The image of a halfling tripping an ogre is too tempting.

My PFS bard dipped into the Fighter Archetype so he could get AoOs. Now he just walks behind the front line and uses his whip to trip enemies.

Grand Lodge

Hmm, alright, might have to fix a few things but I think I know what to do. A shame that a dex build seems out of luck with this.

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BlackoCatto wrote:
Hmm, alright, might have to fix a few things but I think I know what to do. A shame that a dex build seems out of luck with this.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way to use Dexterity for Athletics actions such as Trip, Grapple, Shove, or Disarm. Acrobat lets you use dexterity to jump, but I think that is the limit.

I believe that Paizo is appropriately worried that allowing X to Ys introduces a lot of power creep into the game, and Dexterity has always been kind of a king stat. 2e does an excellent job of making Strength a viable and competitive stat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Since it is Athletics skill, don’t ignore your strength!

Some people have found it effective to get Assurance with Athletics in order to trip lower level targets as their third action. There are frequently lower level opponents getting between the hero’s and the boss, this is one way to get through them faster.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Michael Hallet wrote:

If you use a weapon with the trip trait you get the item bonus to attacks to your Athletics check to trip.

Trip (weapon trait)

Huh, so it does.

See what happens when you read the rules? :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Portal of the Sacred Rune Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

Why didn't I think of Assurance?!

Also, get a Lifting Belt. It's a +1 to your athletics checks.

My gnome barbarian has the Titan Wrestler feat and I usually make a guess about an opponent's Fort vs. Refl bonus to decide whether I'm going to try to trip them or grapple them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Portal of the Sacred Rune Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

I'm not lazy* but I don't like reinventing the wheel so, has anyone created templates for the Head-Shot the Rot Pre-Gens? If not, does anyone have plans to and is willing to share?

*I am actually lazy.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Captain PBP GM Tyranius PFS Reporting Tool | Scenario List | | PFS2E Scenario Tracker Scenario Sign-up Sheet

I am in the process of making templates for them. I have one done and partway through the second. Should have them done by the end of the weekend though.

Grand Lodge

m Human Commoner 10

Have the Head-shot the Rot pregens been released?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lodge of the Living God
roll4initiative wrote:
Have the Head-shot the Rot pregens been released?

Yes. I got them with my copy of the scenario.

Dark Archive

Venture-Captain PBP GM Tyranius PFS Reporting Tool | Scenario List | | PFS2E Scenario Tracker Scenario Sign-up Sheet

Yes, they came with the scenario


Is this the forum to discuss possible issues with the pregens? I’m planning on playing Zakzak but I’m seeing some problems with the character as it is currently built.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Captain PBP GM Tyranius PFS Reporting Tool | Scenario List | | PFS2E Scenario Tracker Scenario Sign-up Sheet

Send me a message and I can pass the issues forward to the Org Play team, but normally as is we have to play the pregens as is with the errors.

Speaking of the Pregens, I just got done putting the Head-Shot the Rot Pregens into a template with BB Code.

BB Code Pregens


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Errors in your pre-gens?

More likely than you think.


Female LG Medium Elf Gunslinger (Sniper) 3 | HP 30/30 | AC 18 | F +5, R +7, W +7 | Perc +7 (low-light) | +2 Seek | Stealth +11 |Low-light vision | | Speed 35 ft | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice | Active Conditions: ---

If anyone wants a cleaned-up Zindarel the Sniper profile with dice expressions added, shoot me a PM.

Am I allowed to post a link to the shared file here?

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Captain PBP GM Tyranius PFS Reporting Tool | Scenario List | | PFS2E Scenario Tracker Scenario Sign-up Sheet

Send me a PM and I can add it to the public templates

Grand Lodge

m Human Commoner 10
Tyranius wrote:
Send me a PM and I can add it to the public templates

PM sent.

Grand Lodge

m Human Commoner 10

Thank you, Tyranius, for adding my enhanced BB Code version of Zindarel to the pre-gens.

If anyone finds any errors, please PM me to let me know and I will update it ASAP.

Radiant Oath

how do we share copies of the pregens for OS3?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Lieutenant, Online

The pregen folder has been linked at the top of the campaign.


Slides For Table 2 //Absalom Noir Table 1 Slides //

Now having done a few sessions both irl and by pbp, what are good scenarios to run for a first time PFS GM?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lodge of the Living God

I think Lions of Katapesh is pretty good.


Slides For Table 2 //Absalom Noir Table 1 Slides //

I am assuming the linked guide also has info for GMs as well.


Scenarios as a proper noun (4 XP, multiple Tiers)? I would recommend 1-06 or 1-14, both repeatable, Tier 1-4s with straightforward plots and game mechanics.

Scenarios as a general description? I would suggest a Bounty (1 XP, Level 1 only). I haven't GMed very many (B1, B2, B7, B10; and I just prepped B4 and B5) but of those I'd pick B4, B5, or B10.


Slides For Table 2 //Absalom Noir Table 1 Slides //

I'll have to buy some then.


Male Human

Hey GM Catto -- if you run B10, please save me a seat!

Wayfinders Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation of Bounty 4, Watery Soup!

If you check the Product Page for Bounty 4, I have a link to some additional stuff for the GM in the Discussion thread for that bounty.

Hmm

Radiant Oath

GM Catto wrote:
Now having done a few sessions both irl and by pbp, what are good scenarios to run for a first time PFS GM?

B10 (Hillcross Roundup) is very straightforward, Q04 (Port Peril Pub Crawl) is also very straightforward. B09 (Fishing in Anthusis) is ok.

1-14 (Lions of Katapesh) appears pretty straightforward as well -- I prepped it but I've never run it (yet). 03-01 (Year of Shattered Sanctuaries) is fairly ok -- just don't get a high tier because the combat can get complex.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

HA! Second time I've recommended one of HMM's scenarios without realizing she was the author!

I just ran it last night on VTT.

Me (GM): "You may make one skill check of your choice to impress the (redacted)."
My younger son: "I put [older son's character] in a box and saw him in half." (Rolls Athletics)

Uh ... Okay.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Portal of the Sacred Rune Games I've Played (Session Tracker)
Watery Soup wrote:


Me (GM): "You may make one skill check of your choice to impress the (redacted)."
My younger son: "I put [older son's character] in a box and saw him in half." (Rolls Athletics)

Uh ... Okay.

Where did you get the box? Where did you get the saw? Why would you think Athle...

You know what? Sounds great...make that roll.

If he had critically failed would you have had him wound his brother's character?


Not sure. Sawing each other in half came up as an entertainment act came up in a home game (as has shooting each other out of cannons and other ... uh ... extremely creative solutions), but I couldn't remember how it was resolved before the results of the Athletics check came up.

Thankfully, it was a Failure, which is the easiest to resolve narratively.


Lodge of the Living God
Watery Soup wrote:
Thankfully, it was a Failure, which is the easiest to resolve narratively.

Older Brother: Don’t even try it! You can’t imagine what I will do to get back at you.


Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Ooh, thanks for the recommendation of Bounty 4, Watery Soup!

Holy Iomedae, I just Googled your name to see what else you had written and I have to say, wow -

Bounty 4: I highly recommended this one even before knowing you were the author.

Scenario 2-18: I highly recommended before knowing you were the author (tied with Dennis's 2-14 for favorite Season 2 scenario)

Just learned you wrote about Artorius Kirran in Legends, which is, hands down, my favorite RPG lore. My -2001 alchemist that just leveled out of PFS scenarios is taking a year off just to try to figure out a way to meet him (will be Quinoline's Level 10-20 meta-arc).

Now I need to know if you wrote about Vidrian in LO:ME, that would make it 4/4.


Slides For Table 2 //Absalom Noir Table 1 Slides //

So if I GM a non repeatable, and later GM it again, I would only gain boons and treasure from the first game, putting it on one of my characters. The second game played of it would just bet a chronicle for traking purposes and award me only AP and GM credit, correct?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lodge of the Living God
GM Catto wrote:
So if I GM a non repeatable, and later GM it again, I would only gain boons and treasure from the first game, putting it on one of my characters. The second game played of it would just bet a chronicle for traking purposes and award me only AP and GM credit, correct?

No reason to do a chronicle for the second instance, no character is getting credit.

You get the GM table and ACP assuming they get reported on this site.

Wayfinders Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Watery Soup wrote:
Hilary Moon Murphy wrote:
Ooh, thanks for the recommendation of Bounty 4, Watery Soup!

Holy Iomedae, I just Googled your name to see what else you had written and I have to say, wow -

Bounty 4: I highly recommended this one even before knowing you were the author.

Scenario 2-18: I highly recommended before knowing you were the author (tied with Dennis's 2-14 for favorite Season 2 scenario)

Just learned you wrote about Artorius Kirran in Legends, which is, hands down, my favorite RPG lore. My -2001 alchemist that just leveled out of PFS scenarios is taking a year off just to try to figure out a way to meet him (will be Quinoline's Level 10-20 meta-arc).

Now I need to know if you wrote about Vidrian in LO:ME, that would make it 4/4.

I did not do Vidrian, I did the Sodden Lands section -- where I gave Hyrantum a much needed update -- and I did the Terwa Lords section. The sodden lands was awesome to write about, and I was able to provide an interesting retirement in there to my favorite PF1 character, Flip the Lucky. Let me know what you think of the section.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed my section on Artokkus Kirran. I truly lucked out getting that assignment. When Luis Loza asked me to join the project, he gave me a list of Legends that did not get picked yet.

ME: Holy cow, how come Artokkus is still open?

LL: Because he's a hermit and goes nowhere. He's a little boring.

ME: Not anymore!

There may have been some muahahas as I claimed that one.

Hmm

Radiant Oath

Recruiting to try to fill one table on Discord:

B09 - Fishing in Anthusis

A Pathfinder Bounty designed for Level 1.

The Silverscales Tournament calls citizens and adventurers alike to participate in a competition to catch silver trout. This year, a pair of rival twins and some unexpected dangers ensure the event is one that the people of Anthusis will not soon forget.

Written by: Letterio Mammoliti

Signup Link

Starts 48h after I notice 6 signups. 2 seats available.

This game will be played on Discord - Cayden's Keg

Please add your Paizo Handle in the 'notes for GM' section. The table is legal -- I'm just trying to fill it


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human

B04 does look interesting. Just read it. Pretty neat, actually.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Moving Discussion here from Recruitment ...

Atae wrote:
If this is the case I think they may want to revisit repeatable scenarios.

I don't think that will do what you want it to do.

There's already a way for characters to get to Level 20: play an AP with them. And there are fewer character restrictions and the like for that.
If there's only one narrative path that a character can take between two points, then you might as well play an AP.

The limiting factor isn't the ability to generate enough credits for a character to get from 1 to 20, it's the ability to generate modular stepping stones that can be played in a flexible order.

For example, if there are only 6 Level 7-10 scenarios, 6 Level 9-12 scenarios, 6 Level 11-14 scenarios, 6 Level 13-16 scenarios, 6 Level 15-18 scenarios, and 6 Level 17-20 scenarios, you've got a path - but exactly one path - through Level 20. It's 4 books of an AP that have been published in 4-hour chunks.

As unsatisfying as it is - and I've got a Level 9.2 character that squeezed every last drop out of the Season 1-2 scenarios, starting #2-20 at level 8.2 to play both 7-10s at Level 9, so I totally get how infuriating it is - those Level 8-9 characters are in for very slow advancement over the next 2 years.


GM Tiger wrote:

Recruiting to try to fill one table on Discord:

B09 - Fishing in Anthusis

A Pathfinder Bounty designed for Level 1.

The Silverscales Tournament calls citizens and adventurers alike to participate in a competition to catch silver trout. This year, a pair of rival twins and some unexpected dangers ensure the event is one that the people of Anthusis will not soon forget.

Written by: Letterio Mammoliti

Signup Link

Starts 48h after I notice 6 signups. 2 seats available.

This game will be played on Discord - Cayden's Keg

Please add your Paizo Handle in the 'notes for GM' section. The table is legal -- I'm just trying to fill it

Is this full?


Watery Soup wrote:


As unsatisfying as it is - and I've got a Level 9.2 character that squeezed every last drop out of the Season 1-2 scenarios, starting #2-20 at level 8.2 to play both 7-10s at Level 9, so I totally get how infuriating it is - those Level 8-9 characters are in for very slow advancement over the next 2 years.

If all you want is levels, One Shot adventures have been structured so that they can be credited to a character of any level. We know that they plan to bring out more of them.

Personally, I want to play my character not just build up power on it. I will wait for the scenarios.


Male Human
Mr Tea wrote:
GM Tiger wrote:

Recruiting to try to fill one table on Discord:

B09 - Fishing in Anthusis

A Pathfinder Bounty designed for Level 1.

The Silverscales Tournament calls citizens and adventurers alike to participate in a competition to catch silver trout. This year, a pair of rival twins and some unexpected dangers ensure the event is one that the people of Anthusis will not soon forget.

Written by: Letterio Mammoliti

Signup Link

Starts 48h after I notice 6 signups. 2 seats available.

This game will be played on Discord - Cayden's Keg

Please add your Paizo Handle in the 'notes for GM' section. The table is legal -- I'm just trying to fill it

Is this full?

I had to cancel it. Do you want to play B09? I can start a table after some of my tables start finishing.


UncleFroggy wrote:
Mr Tea wrote:
GM Tiger wrote:

Recruiting to try to fill one table on Discord:

B09 - Fishing in Anthusis

A Pathfinder Bounty designed for Level 1.

The Silverscales Tournament calls citizens and adventurers alike to participate in a competition to catch silver trout. This year, a pair of rival twins and some unexpected dangers ensure the event is one that the people of Anthusis will not soon forget.

Written by: Letterio Mammoliti

Signup Link

Starts 48h after I notice 6 signups. 2 seats available.

This game will be played on Discord - Cayden's Keg

Please add your Paizo Handle in the 'notes for GM' section. The table is legal -- I'm just trying to fill it

Is this full?
I had to cancel it. Do you want to play B09? I can start a table after some of my tables start finishing.

I would like to. My ranger has 6XP, so fishing and another bounty/quest will get her to a good place. Also, she'd probably like to do the fishing!


VL, Online VTT| Map: -- | -- | ◆ ◇ ↺ |
Atae wrote:
There probably are not plans to go higher than that?

There is no upper maximum that has been announced for PFS2 content. It's just a matter of time as we can see from Watery Soup's post.

Though if you are dying to play some higher level content there are a few high level modules now that you can try to get into. Like Fists of the Ruby Phoenix, or Night of the Gray Death. Both of which are sanctioned for PFS credit.

Dark Archive

Further, re-playable scenarios do exist in 2e. Which means, as time goes on, I suspect we will slowly diverge from the inverse square rule described by Watery Soup... How far is debatable, but I'm sure the Devs are fully aware that people want to play their beloved characters as high level as they can go. As such, I expect them to get us there sooner than season 36... Not sure where I'd stake it at for, though.


Hot Take: I predict PFS2 will never go to Level 20.

I think the demand is there, but it's a lot of work to write - and run - the higher level stuff on the supply side. Even the 7-10s were logistically challenging; tons of conditions getting thrown around, and there's lower GM (and probably author) familiarity with the ins and outs of higher level play.

They're charging more for the 7-10 level scenarios already because they're eating up more editor time than the 3-6 and 5-8, and they're cutting back the publication schedule overall so it's not like they have extra capacity.

Even 1 tier per season (Season 3 = 9-12s, Season 4 = 11-14s, etc.) seems optimistic.

1,901 to 1,950 of 2,218 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Cottonseed PbP PFS 2E Playtest Discussion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.