Clebsch GM Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path

Game Master Clebsch73

Six people hold recovering the Sword of Valor, if they can retake the fortress city of Drezen and strike into the Worldwound itself.

Party Loot

Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress


2,451 to 2,500 of 3,855 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

Hey, I get to roll knowledge (nobility)!

Knowledge (nobility) about a human family: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38

At the sound of Raine's family name, Avelina's thoughts catapulted back to hundreds of hours reading of each and every noble house in the Inner Sea, from the Livgraces to the Lebedas, from the Thrunes to the a'Thiels.

"Why, I know of you! The a'Thiels are a worthy line of crusaders, going all the way back to the First Crusade, their treasured history of renowed warriors and siegesmiths continuing until this very day."

She glanced up, as though she might spot a memory off on a nearby roof. She tapped her finger against her chin until she found it: another hundred hours reading the rolls at the College of Arms, reciting the blazons of each until she could barely stand to look at another lion rampant.

"Ah yes! Coat of arms is a hawk perched gules armed sable on a field argent--" She glanced back towards the others, assuming they would need explanation. "--that's a red hawk with black talons on a white shield." She recited the entire description with barely a breath.

She returned her focus to Raine with a proud smile. "Am I correct?"


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas looked down as he remembered that day. "We were there. In the square that day. I remember Her face as we gathered to enjoy the festival. Then it all happened in a flash. We all fell into one of the rifts that open. She saved us with a last bit of magic as I had to watch that bastard remove her head."

The teiflings voice dropped a few octaves as he clenched his fists, "When I get my hands on the Storm King there won't be anything left."

He shook his head and unclenched his jaw, "But I'll be as patient as a glacier to make that happen. Until then, we have her lasts gifts to remember her by and her daughter to raise." He said while tapping the large silver scale that hung from his neck.


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

See the link marked "Document" in my header for the letter that has relevant information for the crusaders at the Defender's Heart.

As you are ready, the scene will shift to the Defender's Heart, where the news of the daughter of Terendelev will sweep like a whirlwind through the place, lifting spirits like nothing has recently. Several capable guardians will be found for the little one, everyone can rest and heal, and then a new mission will be proposed.


Female Human Wizard 6 [HP: 49/49; AC 12|T12|FF10; CMD 15; Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +6; Init: +13, Percep +13]

When Raine mentioned papers, Tauni perked up, leaving off her watch and approaching the stranger.

"I would like to see these papers you recovered. Perhaps we can find something that helps makes sense of things. Or, gods willing, even give us a step forward."

Does Tauni know about:
Kenebres Templars leader? Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Red Morning Massacre? Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

Knowledge(History) or Knowledge(Local) DC 10:
The Red Massacre refers to an event that occurred in Kenabres about a century ago, just after the Worldwound began to leak demons. Refugees from Sarkoris were flowing into the city and in with the refugees slipped a demon disguised as a human. This demon slaughter scores of people. This led to strict tests that were required before anyone was admitted into the city as a refugee.

Knowledge(History) or Knowledge(Local) DC 15:
In addition to the above spoilered information, you know that the demon that was responsible for the attack was a lilitu demon named Minagho.

Faxon, the tiefling leader of the Kenabres cult was acting in secret, so little is known about him that is not in the notes. Other prominent people in Kenabres and other crusader cities were on the list, however, including the name you already know, Kandro Nyserian, whose house the PCs investigated and found it in ruins and the owner not present.


Female Human Wizard 6 [HP: 49/49; AC 12|T12|FF10; CMD 15; Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +6; Init: +13, Percep +13]

Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Tauni tapped the page of the letter as she stared at it and thought aloud.

"When I asked the Abadaran guardsmen why we vetted people coming and going from Kenabres to closely, they told me about the Red Massacre. It was around a century ago. Minagho, a lilitu demon, disguised itself as a refugee from Sarkoris. This was right after the Worldwound opened up, so there were masses of displaced people seeking refuge. The demon slaughtered dozens of people before it was stopped."

She looked up from the letter and added "I didn't know the demon survived that; I always assumed it was stopped by having been slain. But now that I think about it, the stories never said it was 'killed,' just 'stopped.' This letter would seem to prove my assumption erroneous."


NG Ranger 7 * HP 78/78 * AC 19|T15|FF13 * CMD 24 * F+6 R+10 W+4 * Init +5 Per +19 (+2 vs traps) | CURRENTLY: +2 per from H.A. |

Take ten for those knowledge checks for a 15. eta ninja'd slightly by Tauni!

Raine noded slightly at Tauni, grimly handing over the documents for perusal but not letting them out of her sight.

"Gives us names. Names of people... demons... whichever... who played a role in all... this." A glance around the devastated city. "'Faxon.' 'Minagho.' 'Vorlesh.' Got an arrow for each of them, all the gods willing."

Raine kicked a rock across the inside of the ruined pawn shop. "That Minagho... 's a name from a history, one of the big ones. So maybe I'll need a bunch of arrows for that one." Raine smirked, but there was little genuine humor or optimism behind the expression. She noded along with Tauni's listing of the facts. "Yeah, what you said. The Red Massacre."

At Avelina's pleased recital, Raine turned a somewhat sour look on the ivory-and-gold-clad woman who sure did like the sound of her own voice.

"Yeah," she said bluntly. "So? You see any flapping pennants around here? Any standards or trumpets? Any noble marriages taking place?" Raine's gloved hand took in the rubble with a wave. "Never cared about the blue blood part that much even when it still mattered.

"But I'll tell you what, I find a salad fork in this pawn shop, I'll give it to you, you seem to be the sort who'd care about that."

Raine looked back to Karas, and the baby dragon he so protectively carried. The sarcasm of her words to Avelina wasn't in evidence when she asked tentatively, "Could I.... could I... touch her?"


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas looked about the ruined store for a moment before shaking his head, "Not here. Once we get back at to Defender's Heart and relative safety. You can."

Knowledge:local, untrained Max result of 10: 1d20 ⇒ 12

I'm good to move on as the GM requests.


Pal7 [HP: 102/102 | AC (25)22 | T 11 | FF 22 | CMD 21; Fort+10,Ref+5,Will+7; Init: +0; Per-1, Smite Evil 3/3, LOH 6/6] Immune to Fear effects | Immune to Disease | Allies within 10' get +4 on saves v. Fear |Mythic Tier 1

Ellena didn't like the tone of the newcomer toward Avelina. She protectively stepped in between the two of them. "Its time for us to keep walking. It sounds like there will be plenty demons for all of us to deal with soon enough. But for now, we've truly seen a miracle from the Inheritor today in the form of this dragon. Let's focus there today."

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Avelina's face hardened at the dour woman. The thought that someone could speak with such disdain for their family, their history enraged her. Even in her darkest moments, she never would have considered speaking with such gross disrespect of the legacy her Lord Father and Mother provided her.

"Hmph. You misunderstand. I speak not of mere ceremony and title, but of a legacy I wished to acknowledge in a gesture of friendship. When I speak of my own parents, I do not think of them as "pennants and trumpets," but as Warriors and Righteous Souls who fought and died for us. They are my strength, just as the Inheritor is. If you look at your own legacy and see nothing but meaningless ceremony, that's on you, not me."

Ellena's intercession brought a smile to Avelina's face, and she sighed, breathing out her tension. "You are correct, My Champion. Let us continue on." She turned to begin walking away, her arm-in-arm with Ellena, then glanced back. "My offer of assistance stands, a'Thiel, out of respect for all your family has done for the people of this country, and by extention all of Golarion."


NG Ranger 7 * HP 78/78 * AC 19|T15|FF13 * CMD 24 * F+6 R+10 W+4 * Init +5 Per +19 (+2 vs traps) | CURRENTLY: +2 per from H.A. |

Raine's expression settled into a flat line and stayed solidly there through Avelina's rebuttal, a mirror of Avelina's look. She offered a short nod to Ellena, and Avelina by extension. "Yeah. Plenty of trouble to deal with other than who's got pretty titles. Let's go, then. But for gods and goddesses' sake, keep to the shadows."

At Karas's declaration of not now, the redhead merely nodded. "'s fair."

Her bow was drawn again and an arrow renocked as Raine slipped out into the cratered and soot-stained streets. "There's a series of narrow back alleys we can take shelter in half the way to the Heart, and then a row of shop cellars that butted against each other. Some of 'em wound up connecting, when the quake ripped things open. Others I've broken through to make a passage. It'll keep us out of sight most of the way there.... 'less you all intend to travel right on the main streets where any vrock in the air might see you," she half-asked with a brow arch.

But there was some safety to be had in numbers, so if these apparent heroes, the talk of all the gossip that she'd heard lately, wished to take the straightest route, Raine mutely assented, and walked with them, eyeing both Karas and his strange, miraculous burden frequently.

Also fine with moving forward at GM's pleasure!


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

Sorry for the delay and great role playing everyone, as usual.

The seven crusaders, their captives, and one very small dragon cautiously worked through the empty streets. Eventually, the comforting domed roof of the Defender's Heart came into view and then everyone was being welcomed back. Although Karas tried to shield his ward from view, people pressed in to hear the latest and before long, his treasured bundled was being talked about in hushed or excited tones and the group sought out Irabeth and the other leaders.

After a thorough debriefing, Irabeth thanked everyone for their valor in rescuing the daughter of Terendelev. Experts in the care and feeding of a silver dragon wyrmling were sought and assigned to care for Arkalendev, along with warriors to guard her at all times. The prisoners were locked up awaiting questioning.

Irabeth promised to have people pour over the notes Raine recovered for clues to what the letter referred to. Then she dismissed everyone and bade them get some healing and some rest.

As everyone was leaving, a teenage girl approached Franti saying, "Master Franti. A letter for you arrived today."

This turned heads, for letters did not normally get delivered into war ravaged and still occupied cities. Franti opened the letter and began reading. From the rapt expression on his face, it was obvious it was from someone he cared about a great deal. When he had finished reading the letter twice through, he looked at everyone and heaved a sigh, but then smiled a mile wide grin, saying "My love, my Opaline, needs me back in Ustalav. I must go to her. I will return when I know she is safe." He shook the hands of Karas and gave each of the women an affectionate hug. To Raine he said, "My job passes on to you. Keep these woefully unprepared amateurs safe until I return." He kept a straight face, but then winked and gave everyone a cheery farewell. Before anyone knew it, he had gathered his things and was heading for the Eastern wall and on the long journey to Ustalav.

If anyone wants to get anything while in the Defender's Heart, indicate what you want. There are enough merchants in the place that the PCs can even sell off their unwanted treasure and purchase new gear and supplies—you can assume that anything costing 100 gp or less is readily available for purchase, and that anything beyond that up to a maximum of 2,500 gp has a 75% chance of being available for sale.

That said, there are many low-level clerics and paladins of Iomedae, Sarenrae, and Torag present, and they provide healing free of charge—any PC who has hit point damage or ability score damage can have that damage healed for free during a stay here.

Take what time you need to get equipment, but the next post will begin the transition to the final challenge of the first book. We can role play the preliminaries while people are working on any new equipment requisitions. Everyone can assume they are healed and with new spells prepared when things resume.


Female half-orc Paladin

Once everyone had recovered from their ordeals, Irabeth approached them with a grim, worried expression. "I need to speak with you all about a matter of utmost importance. Please meet me in the map room as soon as possible."

When everyone arrived in what used to be a small banquet hall off the main floor of what used to be the dining room, which was now covered with maps and papers essential for the continuing resistance effort, they found Irabeth conversing with a rather grizzled old man. People had met him already, for he was Quednys Orlun, an aged and angular human wizard with an eagle’s talon tattoo on his cheek. Founder and head librarian of Blackwing, Quednys was at the Cathedral when the attack began, and was instrumental in saving several citizens from certain death. He suffered a nearly fatal wound in doing so, but survived after he was brought to Defender’s Heart and healed.

Since then, Quednys had helped keep order in the inn. He believed that Blackwing was completely destroyed, and was haunted by this fact. Therefore, when he got word from a band of heroes just surfaced from the catacombs under Kenabres that Blackwing had survivors in it, he was overjoyed and helped organize a rescue party.

Once everyone was in place, Irabeth began the meeting. "I ... We all are in your debt. You've helped return my wife to me, helped rescue many citizens from the dangers of the city, and rescued the only child of Terendelev. You've done so much that it pains me to have to ask you to risk more for what may be our only hope of saving Kenabres. Are you willing to consider a very dangerous mission, from which some of you might not return?" She looks grim and waits to hear every person present speak her or his heart.


NG Ranger 7 * HP 78/78 * AC 19|T15|FF13 * CMD 24 * F+6 R+10 W+4 * Init +5 Per +19 (+2 vs traps) | CURRENTLY: +2 per from H.A. |

Though her interest in the silver dragonling hadn't abided, once back at the Heart with her package safely delivered to the commanders, Raine... disappeared, at least for a short while, hurrying down a corridor towards one of the rooms where the injured recovered.

But she was back in time to see the painted man's response to his letter, and to purse her lips. "If that's where the defenders need me," she said slowly, with another side-eye of the unusual-looking group.

***

Irabeth's words were aimed more at the others, with their litany of triumphs, than at her. So Raine held her peace, sitting in a corner of the converted banquet hall, her face freshly scrubbed of ash at least for the moment.

"If they need a scout, I'll take them," she said into the pause after Irabeth's words. She offered nothing more, arms crossed on her chest, eyes roaming over the four women and the silver-skinned man.

The prissy one doesn't seem like she knows how to get her hands dirty, she thought to herself, but if half the gossip is true then looks have to be deceivin'. Like Rodien would've said: can't always tell the inner workings from the outer gears. Even if her outer gears are off in some damn fairy-tale self-righteous land. Who is she though? Got to be someone blue-blood, the way she was carrying on. But I knew everyone who was in the city when it fell... didn't I? 'Least by name...

The name 'Avelina' stuck in her head. She felt she should know the identity it belonged to, but suffice to say the last few weeks had quite driven things like royal family trees out of her head-- at least right that instant.

The bookish one's smart, could tell that much from all that history she knew. Tauni, was it? Always good to have a scholar in your corner. Or a magician. Long as they don't go thinking their magic'll make them immune to a demon's claw.

That Ellena's obviously guard-pupping little miss proper. Looks like she knows how to use that sword she's got, though. Can't tell much about the other lady. Healer, they said. Guess I'll see if she's worth the title if I get banged up.

Leaving the silver-skin. Karas. Looks more demon than dragon you ask me. But the way he held the little wyrm... and if he's done what they say... if they've all done what Irabeth says...

Raine lifted her gloved fist to her mouth and chewed absently on a knuckle through the stained leather, her eyes continuing to dart restlessly around as the others answered Irabeth.

....then... just maybe... there's hope.


Pal7 [HP: 102/102 | AC (25)22 | T 11 | FF 22 | CMD 21; Fort+10,Ref+5,Will+7; Init: +0; Per-1, Smite Evil 3/3, LOH 6/6] Immune to Fear effects | Immune to Disease | Allies within 10' get +4 on saves v. Fear |Mythic Tier 1

Ellena nodded at the brave newcomer. She's got spirit. If I keep her and the Lady from killing each other, things could work out.

"If this mission will harm the demon invaders, I'll do anything my my power. I'll take any risk so that evil doesn't win," she says through gritted teeth as she removes her helm and sits it in the corner. Her Armor and Shield needed a good polishing, if she had time to do so before they were sent out by the general.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

Since Raine has risen from 1st to 4th level in the same amount of time as the others, it's a fair assumption that she's responsible for her own share of heroics, even if much of it may have gone unnoticed. Irabeth would know enough, however, to know she was resourceful and capable fighter who knows the city well, which makes her a good choice for this mission. Role play that as you wish.

Raine:
Another reason Raine is invited to this mission: she has been insider the Gray Garrison, the current HQ of the demonic forces. It is a squat, plain gray stone fortification in Old Kenabres. Its value as a defensive redoubt has been diminished by the larger city walls, it has been used as a museum. Raine's father worked there helping as he could establish the backstory of various items displaying the history of the crusades. Raine probably explored the building on her own as well, given her interest in architecture.

So at the appropriate points, she can attest to the following features of the Gray Garrison as part of the planning:
1) It has two full floors and a partial third floor.
2) Rooms are lit by continual flame spells in lanterns on the walls, to keep the windowless rooms from filling with fumes and smoke from normal oil lamps and to save valuable lamp oil.
3) Doors are made of stone and can be barred from either side but most do not have locks.
4) There is only one easy way in, a set of double doors on the south side of the first floor. These are one of the few sets of doors that has a lock.
5) It was designed to house soldiers not to be a defensive position, so there are no windows or other doors, nor is there a basement level.
6) The only other possible way in involves a small shutter on the wall 15 feet above and just to the left of the front doors. The room this connects to will probably be locked and/or barred. It used to be an aerie for carrier pigeons.
7) The first floor consists of a number of small rooms (no bigger than 20' x 30'). A meeting room, foyer, museum display, a room that serves as a temple to Iomedae, and the priest's quarters. There is a stairway to the second floor in the middle of the first floor.
8) The second floor has six rooms (library, aerie, war room, scrying chamber, and barracks).
9) A stairway leads up from the scrying chamber into the top tower, which has 2 rooms. These rooms would be the most difficult to infiltrate, so anything of great value to the demons would likely be kept up there.

Silver Crusade

Light (Halo, 20 ft.) | HP 91/91 | AC 27 (FF 24 T 18) CMD 15(16) | Fort +9 Ref +8(+9) Wil +10 | Init +2 Per +8 SM +6 | Spells (6/7|6/7|4/5), Channel 6d6 (9/9) DC 25, Sacred Scourge 4d6÷2 (9/9) DC 23 Mythic Power: (7/7)
Spell Effects:
magic circle against evil, veil of heaven, corruption resistance

"Kenabres... saved?" Anarya asked softly, to no one in particular. The trek through the shattered streets of the fallen city felt like a journey through a corpse, devoid of life. She hadn't even considered saving it an option, focusing instead only on survival and protecting those closest at hand. A familiar feeling bubbled up at Irabeth's request, a faint glimmer of hope that things could change for the better. Raising her voice, she replied in a firmer tone. "If it can help the city, I will be there."

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

Avelina could not have kept herself from grinning even if she had wanted to. The narrative was progressing exactly as she had expected. She had little concern that the mission would endanger her in the slightest, as The Righteous Heroine's Glorious Quest (one of the potential titles of her future memoirs) had only just begun.

Avelina waved off Irabeth's mention of a debt.

"Think nothing of it. I am bound by my station to protect my people, as the Inheritor Wills. Further, I am delighted to have been able to reunite a lady knight and her beloved. You may feel free to ask anything of me."

Avelina held up a gloved hand, the palm faced towards her and her fingers splayed, bringing attention to her signet ring.

"Besides, I would dishonor the name of Galfrey if I were to turn down the chance to save the city of my birth, the city that my Lord Father and Mother gave their lives to defend."


Female half-orc Paladin

Irabeth regarded Avelina with a serious look that betrayed a struggle in her mind. "Thank you, your majesty," she began, exhibiting traditional courtesy to relatives of the queen. "If this works, the queen very well might be quite upset with me for allowing her niece to go on such a dangerous mission. But from what Aravashnial has told me, you are quite capable and as you are an adult, I believe you are the one who must make decisions about what risks you will take. I pray that I have the good fortune of explaining to the queen just how your presence on this mission turned the tide, Iomedae willing, of course."

Then she turned to Karas, "Karas, what say you? If you chose to stay behind to be a guardian to your newly discovered relative, everyone would understand and no one would think the less of you. You could be given the charge of safely conducting her to her father in Nirmathas. However, from what Anevia has told me about you, I suspect you will prefer to forge a path to gain your revenge for Terendelev's murder. Which will it be?"


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas thought long and hard as the others all began to give their ascent.

"Arkalendev is pretty much a younger sister I didn't know I had..." he looked over everyone gathered. "But regardless of that future. We have to free Kenabres. I'll get to my revenge after that and we'll see if there's a way to contact her father. I'd prefer her to go in the company of a dragon to best protect her for now. Until then, she stays here under close guard and watch by the crusaders. You have my help Irabeth. Who would I be to say no?"

A genuine smile came onto his face as he looked to his hard earned friends. Yet couldn't help but longer on the resolute angel.


Female half-orc Paladin

Irabeth thanks the group for their willingness to carry on the good fight. Then she inhales and begins her mission pitch.

“As horrific as recent events have been, we’ve come to realize that they are, in fact, merely a prelude. The razing of the Kite, the destruction of our wardstone, Terendelev’s murder, and the assault on the city were nothing more than opening gambits. The Worldwound is on the march in a more concentrated assault than we’ve seen since the fall of Drezen. It’s fair to say the Lord of the Locust Host is finally making his move. The end of this hundred-year-war is upon us, and it falls to us to ensure victory.

“While the Templars of the Ivory Labyrinth were scattered, those who serve the Lord of the Locust Host himself remain concentrated in Old Kenabres. What we’ve heard from within the barricade they’ve erected is ominous. The cultists are waiting for something, and based on our own information and what you’ve managed to recover so far, it sounds like the vile witch Areelu Vorlesh will soon be coming to Kenabres. And it appears that we’ve determined what she intends to do.

“When the wardstone was destroyed by the Storm King, it exploded and destroyed the Kite. The network along the border failed, but did not fade completely. I believe this is because a significant portion of our wardstone still exists, and that the cultists have taken it to the old garrison in Old Kenabres. From what we’ve learned, they’re hoping to engineer a way to somehow reverse the field generated by the wardstones—essentially, to use our own greatest defense as a devastating weapon.

“The attack on Kenabres had a predictable result: causing the crusade to gather at the border to defend it. Some wonder why the demons haven’t attacked in stronger numbers. I believe that Areelu was counting on us massing along the border, and that if she can corrupt the wardstone field, she can strike a devastating blow against us all. In effect, we’ve lined up for the slaughter.

“Vorlesh is surely seeking some object of great Abyssal power, likely the Nahyndrian crystal mentioned in the missive you recovered, and with it she intends to turn the source of our hope into an unimaginable nightmare. We cannot hope to evacuate everyone from the border—I doubt they would give up the defensive line even if they knew what the enemy planned. But we can still stop this from happening—we just need to have someone infiltrate the Gray Garrison, locate the wardstone fragment, and destroy it.

"I cannot order anyone but myself to attempt this, so I'm asking for volunteers. But I must find volunteers who are capable of success. You are the only ones whom I believe can succeed. I will not underplay the danger of this; however, I can offer every available benefit. My plan is to launch a series of attacks across the city at every other place to lure out as many of their resources as they can spare. This will minimize the resistance at the garrison and keep the leaders eye focused elsewhere. In addition, Aravashnial has indicated he has some items he will contribute that he found in a secret Riftwarden cache. Quednys discovered a rod of cancellation in a ruined wizard's shop; he will provide that for destroying the wardstone.

"Also, thanks to your diplomatic efforts with the residents of Neatholm, a group of their most capable fighters has made its way to us. They have expressed a desire to aid you and I'm happy to let up to six of them accompany you to aid in the battles you will surely have to fight."

Finally, she stops talking and awaits volunteers.

Silver Crusade

Light (Halo, 20 ft.) | HP 91/91 | AC 27 (FF 24 T 18) CMD 15(16) | Fort +9 Ref +8(+9) Wil +10 | Init +2 Per +8 SM +6 | Spells (6/7|6/7|4/5), Channel 6d6 (9/9) DC 25, Sacred Scourge 4d6÷2 (9/9) DC 23 Mythic Power: (7/7)
Spell Effects:
magic circle against evil, veil of heaven, corruption resistance

"By the Acts!" Anarya exclaimed softly as Irabeth described Vorlesh's plan. Corrupt the Wardstones? The Crusader cities would be defenseless, the war would be over! A shiver runs down her spine as she realized how close to ruin they all were. This wasn't about Kenabres, or even Mendev. If Mendev falls... so falls the world.

"Of course I will go. This plan... they must be stopped," Anarya announced. "I am honored that so many others have pledged themselves to this fight. I shall endeavor to do no less."


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas stepped forward next to Anarya and nodded his assent to volunteer. "This would kill everyone I hold dear now. To prevent that catastrophe? I'm in."


Female Human Wizard 6 [HP: 49/49; AC 12|T12|FF10; CMD 15; Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +6; Init: +13, Percep +13]

If we don't go after the wardstone fragment, then we wait here for the slaughter? Or flee to distant lands? How long until the Inner Sea is overrun? Or the whole of the globe?

Embarrassed by how cowardly her pragmatic thought process was, Tauni blushed as she responded "Yes." Hearing her say it aloud emboldened her, and she repeated "Yes. I will do it."


Pal7 [HP: 102/102 | AC (25)22 | T 11 | FF 22 | CMD 21; Fort+10,Ref+5,Will+7; Init: +0; Per-1, Smite Evil 3/3, LOH 6/6] Immune to Fear effects | Immune to Disease | Allies within 10' get +4 on saves v. Fear |Mythic Tier 1

There was nothing to consider. The crusaders must be protected, not to mention the innocent who support them. Ellena adjusted her new heavier armor, trying to get used to the feel of it against her as she thought of the consequences of failure. "Of course I'm in. The rest of the Everbright Crusaders would rightly call me a coward if I refused. Iomedae will guide me, and this whole group forward..."

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

Avelina stood stock still. She blinked. The enormity of it all hit her all at once. She would save everyone in Mendev. Everyone in the world. She could fantasize and boast of a Grand Destiny and Glorious Adventure, but a small part of her doubted whether she would ever come close to such things.

She had no doubt in that moment. Any fear the girl would rightfully have vanished from all action, word, and thought. This was the moment everything had been building to. All the times people had ignored or blown aside her aspirations had been proven false. She fell to her knees and clasped her hands as she turned her eyes up to the sky.

"If there is but a single remaining fiber of this body that does not already praise You and Your Providence, it shall sing of You, Inheritor, from this day until the end of time. Oh, Beloved Iomedae! I shall reaffirm my Eternal Love for You by taking up this charge, and in doing so prove my worth."

Avelina snapped her gaze back up to Irabeth and stood. Happy tears trailed down Avelina's cheeks. Her body trembled with enough energy to fight the war alone. "Yes! A thousand times, yes! Yes until Light swallows the last demon! Yes until the Abyss crumbles to dust! Avelina Theodosia Iomedae Rydell Cecilia Galfrey shall do her part to save the world."


NG Ranger 7 * HP 78/78 * AC 19|T15|FF13 * CMD 24 * F+6 R+10 W+4 * Init +5 Per +19 (+2 vs traps) | CURRENTLY: +2 per from H.A. |

The thing nagging at Raine regarding Avelina grew-- then clarified as Irabeth spoke and said your majesty. By the time Avelina got to the recital of her interminable name, Raine was already over her shock.

The niece of the gods-blessed queen. Bloody gods. Should've known. Only royalty could carry on like that.

But this was a footnote. The more important name than 'Avelina Galfrey' was 'Gray Garrison.' Raine went stock still, then after a few seconds pushed out of her corner and moved towards one of the appropriated tables, grabbing for some blank parchment or vellum, and quill and ink.

By the time Avelina had finished, Raine was halfway through a simple line sketch: a basic layout.

"If we're done making speeches about how devout and pure and dedicated we are, your majesty," she said shortly, "then let's talk strategy. The Gray Garrison won't be easy to take. It's two stories, two and a half really, and there's barely two entrances and no windows at all."

Raine's hand kept moving as she sketched the layout, as best she remembered it. "Used as a museum these days. Well. Before the demons. Anything valuable's gonna be at the tip-top, the most defensible room. Last time I was in it there were continual flame lanterns; if we're lucky the demons and cultists haven't destroyed them outta spite."

The shape of the garrison was taking place under her pen. "First floor has a few interconnected rooms and the main entrance here, on the south side. Double doors, stone. There's also a shuttered entrance we might be able to squeeze through, used to be for releasing pigeons, but it's fifteen feet up and--"

Slowly becoming conscious that she had just launched into a brusque recital of structural features before Irabeth had had a chance to even acknowledge anyone's volunteering, Raine blushed and her words trailed off. She cleared her throat and gave a little dip of her head to Irabeth, though she didn't glance at Avelina or the others.

"Commander. My apologies. Ahead of myself, ma'am. I'll go, ma'am."


Female half-orc Paladin

Irabeth nodded when Raine apologized, giving her an appraising look before saying, "Do not think that I would ever endanger anyone, whether of royal blood or the lowest of halfbreeds like myself by sending him or her unprepared into danger. You are the best of what we have left and you have worked together several weeks, with great success. I have confidence you can do this. So what questions do you have?"


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas piped up after a moment, "I've never raised a garrison before but it sounds like Raine knows the place."

He turned to the woman, "You were on a roll before. What do you think?"


NG Ranger 7 * HP 78/78 * AC 19|T15|FF13 * CMD 24 * F+6 R+10 W+4 * Init +5 Per +19 (+2 vs traps) | CURRENTLY: +2 per from H.A. |

"Ma'am," Raine said again to Irabeth, with a soldier-like nod. She gave another nod to Karas, the brief flash of a half-smile.

"Well... if the attacks work to draw out a bunch of 'em, we might have a chance. But it's a hell of a place to storm if they're on guard against us: a few men could hold it well, so we'll need to strike decisive and fast, and quietly for as long as we can.

"Ma'am, can we spare any resources for being able to get in unseen? These six soldiers coming with us, what's their skills? The bigger the group, the bigger the odds we're spotted as we make our way there, unless they're quiet types."

Silver Crusade

AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

Avelina stepped back and listened to Raine's questions and strategizing with a curious ear. Her Aunt would occasionally let Avelina sit in on her war rooms as a way of easing the girl into the responsibilities she might one day hold. Despite her efforts, Avelina lacked the attention or wisdom to evaluate tactics as her Aunt. Thus out of her depth, Avelina would only nod and latch onto every confidently-proposed stratagem.

This time was no different.

Since the party would apparently be invading the garrison through subterfuge, Avelina decided she must attend to finding more suitably skulky attire that also conformed to her aesthetic. She tried on various combinations of clothes using her magical sleeves, eventually settling on a stony gray tunic and slacks with a hooded cowl, Iomedae's holy sword-cross emblazoned on the chest in blood red.


Female half-orc Paladin
Raine a'Thiel wrote:

"Ma'am," Raine said again to Irabeth, with a soldier-like nod. She gave another nod to Karas, the brief flash of a half-smile.

"Well... if the attacks work to draw out a bunch of 'em, we might have a chance. But it's a hell of a place to storm if they're on guard against us: a few men could hold it well, so we'll need to strike decisive and fast, and quietly for as long as we can.

"Ma'am, can we spare any resources for being able to get in unseen? These six soldiers coming with us, what's their skills? The bigger the group, the bigger the odds we're spotted as we make our way there, unless they're quiet types."

"Crusaders are already being briefed on their missions. When you are ready, they will fan out through the city and await our signal. A pyrotechnic display will start the attacks and they will hit everywhere, including the Gray Garrison. But those attacking the garrison will fall back and join another fight elsewhere. Our hope is that this will draw resources from the garrison. Once our spotters have identified the dispersal of resources from the garrison, you'll have your own signal, a message spell sent to you in hiding near the garrison. Demons are not known for their battle cunning, so we are confident they will put resources where the threats are strongest and assume we have no interest in what we are not attacking.

"As for stealthiness of the ...," she paused, "mongrelfolk--I hate that term but I don't know what they would prefer to be called. I think you will find them adequate if not superior. If you prefer to work in darkness, we can stage things so your approach can come at night. They live in darkness and have no need of light sources to see. They must be quiet to survive in the underground, where sound is a better signal of danger than sight. I expect some of you will make more noise than any of them when you approach the garrison.

"Think about whether you want me to accompany you or not. I can coordinate the ... folk from under the city and we can watch your back. That way you can focus on moving toward the top of the tower, if that's where you expect to find the wardstone and not feel you have to clear out all enemies on each floor before moving up to the next.

"I think I can scrounge up a battering ram you can carry with you if you choose to enter by the front door. I'll see if I can find a silence spell on a scroll if you want to keep the thing quiet. If you need ropes, grappling hooks, or climbing gear, it can be arranged."

The AP has provisions for managing the assault in stages, assuming the PCs might need to withdraw to recover. In the interest of keeping things moving, I think you can probably do it in one trip, particularly with the mongrelfolk watching your back and helping out if you are facing a difficult fight. Prepare for things to advance to the Gray Garrison, unless you have further questions for Irabeth or Quednys.


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

3 scrolls of silence are available. Also available, a portable ram.


Female Human Wizard 6 [HP: 49/49; AC 12|T12|FF10; CMD 15; Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +6; Init: +13, Percep +13]

As the discussion carried on, Tauni's thoughts turned inward. Perhaps Aravashnial knows something of the wardstones that could help us. At least, that's what she told herself. In truth, she could help but wonder what more she could learn that would tell her about her past, and her true heritage.

"If we could get close enough and get inside, I think we can do it. I imagine if there were a secret way into the garrison, someone amongst the crusaders would have made it known already. A battering ram in combination with absolute silence is probably our best chance of getting inside."

Does Tauni think she would have a chance to break away and talk with Aravashnial without compromising the timeline of the assault?


Pal7 [HP: 102/102 | AC (25)22 | T 11 | FF 22 | CMD 21; Fort+10,Ref+5,Will+7; Init: +0; Per-1, Smite Evil 3/3, LOH 6/6] Immune to Fear effects | Immune to Disease | Allies within 10' get +4 on saves v. Fear |Mythic Tier 1

"A Silence spell would help me out. I'm not the quietest in my Armor, let alone while I am getting used to this new set. I'll sound like an auroch in this heavy gear...". Not that she particularly minded the demons hear her coming, as she'd slay them one way or another, if they didn't declare that they wanted to be redeemed.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

I want to get this in before we head to the garrison. This would take place after the meeting with Irabeth.

After the meeting had concluded, Avelina disappeared without a word. Sometime later, she returned to the preparing heroes and gathered them for a quick word. Her expression turned grave as she drew a set of six palm-sized crosses from her bag, wrapped in cloth.

"I had a blacksmith here craft these for us as a matching set. For those of you perhaps unfamiliar with the workings of the Crusade, each crusader has a specially made cross with their information on it. Each member of a unit memorizes the crosses of the rest of their unit. Any time the members are separated, they can ask each other about each others' crosses as a method of confirming each others' identity. Demons are known shapeshifters, and we must take care. And...” Avelina trailed off, as if attempting to mentally prepare herself to reveal a secret. ”...and if any of them should die, they can be identified for their loved ones. "

Avelina traced the engravings on her cross. She remembered every measurement of the steel crosses her Aunt brought her fourteen years ago. The feel of her skin against the steel. The cold acidic smell of metal. The three word sentence written on the back. Those crosses still held a place of honor on her mantle back in Nerosyan, second only to the Inheritor's Holy Sword-Cross.

"I have known how I wanted mine designed since I was four. I took the liberty of making all of ours match. I hope that you will all find them satisfactory.”

The crosses of Nexavaren Steel did not look like something the gaudy princess would have designed (or a four-year-old for that matter). Those familiar with the conventions of crusaders' crosses would know that silver was the prefered material of those who could afford it. These minimalistic crosses did not even have ornamentation. One side bore an obligatory emblem, and the other a list of name, rank, and nation. No more. Avelina presented each cross in-turn to their owners.

She stepped up to Tauni. ”Tauni, your calm insight has taught me much of magic, and I am certain your intellect will be invaluable in the trials ahead.”

Tauni's Cross:

Front
Symbol of a rabbit head modeled after Tauni's own familiar, but with Tauni's head of hair

Back
Tauni “Rabbit” Desba
Volunteer
Mendev

She stepped up to Karas. ”Karas, while I may have at one point cautioned you in temperence at your anger, I see now that you are a truly caring soul at heart, one that has been driven to a truly righteous wrath. A wrath that will carve our path forward through the legions of the damned.”

Karas's Cross:

Front
Symbol of Telendrev's head in profile facing left, growling as her eye gazes at some unseen demon.

Back
Karas Argentus
Volunteer
Mendev

She stepped up to Anarya. ”Anarya, your endless kindness to even the most despicable of foes is an inspiration to us all. In our dark moments, we shall remember your example.”

Anarya's Cross:

Front
Symbol of Telendrev's head in profile facing right, smiling as her eye gazes at the viewer.

Back
Anarya
Volunteer
Mendev

She stepped up to Ellena. ”Ellena, My Champion. Your strength and valor exemplify the virtues of our Beloved Inheritor. I—err, we—are embolded and heartened by your mere presence.”

Ellena's Cross:

Front
The Inheritor's Holy Sword -Cross over a drawing of Ellena's helm

Back
Ellena Lovain
Volunteer
Mendev

She finally stepped up to Raine. ”Raine, I have not known you long, and I seem gather that I have somehow done something to displease you, but I can see you truly care for this city and its people, and you have a tactical mind, the kind that Auntie says to value. Please, accept this token as a measure of fellowship.”

Raine's Cross:

Front
The a'Thiel Coat of Arms

Back
Raine a'Thiel
Volunteer
Mendev

She stepepd back, clutching the final cross to her chest. With reluctance, she held it out. ”And this...is mine. You may view it for purposes of identification, though I imagine it would be nigh-impossible for a demon to imitate my Righteousness.”

Avelina's Cross:

Front
The Galfrey Coat of Arms

Back
Avelina Galfrey
Volunteer
Mendev

In very small writing
My Lord Father and Mother
I Love You Too

If anyone took the time to investigate Avelina's cross, she would stop to glare at them until they got the message that they are not to comment upon the inscription. Her cheeks would flush with a mixture of embarassment and anger that the others would gaze upon something so personal. She simply had no choice, as the crosses wouldn't fulfill their purpose otherwise. Still, she was not happy about it.


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress
Tauni "Rabbit" Desba wrote:

...

Does Tauni think she would have a chance to break away and talk with Aravashnial without compromising the timeline of the assault?

The assault does not have a particular deadline. There is time for conversations and planning as well as securing necessary supplies. And Aravashnial is around in the Defender's Heart.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Ranger 7 * HP 78/78 * AC 19|T15|FF13 * CMD 24 * F+6 R+10 W+4 * Init +5 Per +19 (+2 vs traps) | CURRENTLY: +2 per from H.A. |

Raine will share with the other PCs all the information she knows of the Garrison's layout, per GM Clebsch's post here. A lot of it I already covered in her initial talking, but just to be sure I didn't neglect anything.

"Yeah, that ram could help if we run into solid doors that I can't unlock," Raine mused. "And the silence for sure. As for night versus day..."

She looked the others over uncertainly. "I can't see in the dark without magical help. I do have two scrolls of it that will last a bit, but how many of us would need magic to see, if we do that? Don't help to go in under cover of darkness if we're carrying light sources with us. Might as well paint a beacon on yourself saying, demons, come eat me."

Raine shrugged. "It you all care to go in loud with swords and spells blazing, that's your call I suppose. 'm not used to full frontal attacks. Been scouting and taking targets as I can, not throwing myself against the walls en masse."

***

When Avelina started with her presentation of the crosses, Raine's face bespoke initial irritation, but her expression had changed by the time Avelina gave her her cross. The stark plain crosses were not what she had envisioned Avelina's design to be. Raine took hers wordlessly, turning it over in her hands then pulling out a chain from under her tunic and armor. A small wooden token carved to look like a tower was hanging there, and a little silver ring, a few glass beads of varying colors. Raine unhooked her chain and added the cross to the small collection, before restoring it all to her place beneath her clothes.

"Fair enough," she said to Avelina. "Good idea."

She offered nothing more, though her eyes scanned Avelina's cross intently.

***

Sometime between the briefing and our actual departure:

No other PCs involved though if they want to read my self-indulgent scene they can!:
Raine made her way through the corridors and halls, past rooms filled with recovering wounded, to a room much like any other. She slid her bow off and propped it in the hall, divested herself of her other weapons, and shrugged her cloak down further over her armor. And then she knocked lightly and slipped into the room.

Her father sat on the edge of the bed, a book open on his lap but his attention on the candle burning in the lantern bedside, his single good eye focused blankly on the flame. Raine swallowed and slipped closer, sinking down onto the mattress next to him. "Papa, it's me."

It took several more tries and her hand on his arm before Artien stirred from the flame. "Eh? Ah, Rainie. How's my little flower?"

Raine looked at the window: the shuttered window, because the sight of the city outside, smoke smoldering on the horizon, did her father's mind no favors. She thought bitterly of how much she'd resented his fussing overprotectiveness before the fall of the city: it had chafed, but he'd been there, in his right mind. She might have told her father, then, if she were going on a dangerous mission. He would have hated it, but she might have told him.

She couldn't now. She couldn't do that to him.

"I'm good, Papa. I sketched the west-bridge today. Do you want to see?"

"Well of course I do, here, show me."

She unrolled parchment for him to see. It was the bridge in question, but in better times, with flowers growing at its terminal points, and no bodies or rubble on the span. She'd shown it to him three days in a row now; he never remembered.

"Good, good... excellent shading. Show that to Rodien when he gets back, he'll like that. Your mother, too."

Her throat was tight; her eyes stung. "Yes, Papa. I will."

They talked: of nothingness, of bright lies. Raine said, "I went past that halfling baker's today," and only smiled and shrugged when her father grumpily asked why she hadn't brought him bread back. She wove fragments of the truth into her stories of where she'd been: the locations were accurate, the truths of them were not. And in her stories, the demons she'd spotted or chased or fled from herself became 'a thief' or 'two brawling mercenaries' or 'Hulrun Shappok and his retinue.' So it went.

"And I met some travelers, Papa."

"Crusaders?" he said with a frown, ever wary of the Crusades trying to take his daughter from him.

"I don't know," she lied, feeling the cross heavy beneath her clothes. "There are three ladies, Papa, all golden-haired and each beautiful. And another one who is dark but quiet, she has a pet rabbit. And there is a man who has skin as silver as Terendelev's. They..."

She couldn't tell him of the baby dragon. That would mean reminding him Terendelev was dead. Raine swallowed. "They're interesting, anyway."

"Well. You be careful. Don't get caught up in some crazy plan, Rainie," her father said gruffly.

"No, Papa," she agreed, and kissed him on the forehead, above the scar tissue from his lost eye. "I won't. I have to go now, Papa. I have class."

The old man- he wasn't truly old, only in his fifties, but the injuries and the deaths had aged him prematurely-- smiled absently. "Study hard. There's a good girl."

Raine nodded, and fled the room before tears could overtake her.


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas listened intently with the others as Raine and Irabeth detailed the plans and the resources. HE wasn't the most tactfully minded, especially once he was in a fight and the haze overtook him, but he listened as he did when She spoke. Her daughter deserved to see this through and see her father again. He wouldn't fail in delivering her.

When asked, he spoke, "I have no trouble seeing in the dark but I'm not the um... quietest. I can carry the ram without much trouble and Ellena and I should be able to force any door that you can't pick."

------------------------

As Karas was handed his cross, he smiled at the usually wound up girl. before placing the cross directly over the scar all but Raine had seen before. the scarred symbol of Baphomet over his heart.

He glanced over the other but seeing the match in his and Anarya's made him look away with a quick blush before regaining composure and continuing on.

"These are wonderful Avelina. Thank you."

Dawww Raine's scene


Pal7 [HP: 102/102 | AC (25)22 | T 11 | FF 22 | CMD 21; Fort+10,Ref+5,Will+7; Init: +0; Per-1, Smite Evil 3/3, LOH 6/6] Immune to Fear effects | Immune to Disease | Allies within 10' get +4 on saves v. Fear |Mythic Tier 1

Ellena proudly displayed her cross for everyone to see. "Thank you my Lady. The cross is beautiful. It'll be my pleasure to wear this with pride.". She blushed a bit as she put it on, feeling even closer to this group than to her old friends in the Everbright Crusaders. Not just Avelina, which went without saying, but all the others as well


Female half-orc Paladin

Irabeth listened to Raine's description of the Gray Garrison with interest, taking notes and asking questions as appropriate. She eventually left, but suggested you let her know when ready to proceed. She indicated you can attack day or night, scrolls can be provided for spells that might help in the attack. When everything was ready, she would set the diversion attacks in motion.

"Your mission is a secret. As far as anyone knows, you are just participating in these attacks like everyone else, trying to take the fight to the demons instead of letting them set the time and place to fight. Keep it that way. There may still be spies for the Cult of the Ivory Labyrinth among us. They might report to the other side if they get wind of your mission."

The mood changed in the Defender's Heart. People moved with a purpose. Faces were grim, but some seemed happy to have something to work toward.


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

The map for the Gray Garrison is posted in the campaign tab and I'll be adding it to this profile's header. I placed the PCs and NPCs on the south border, but it would be possible to reach the north walls of the garrison, which have no windows and then approach the front doors from there. My plan is to have the mongrelfolk and Irabeth form a rear guard, providing support in a fight if needed, mostly with ranged attacks. Once in the building, Raine knows the most direct way to the top. The rear guard can deal with others from the same level that might become alerted to the intrusion and try to attack from behind.

I won't generally put the rolls for such rearguard actions in the gameplay thread, doing that offline and just summarizing the results. For those who ran into her earlier, Wenduag is #4. The Mongrelfolk all have Stealth +13, so it is not likely that they'll have the lowest stealth score overall.

Be aware that the silence spells from the scrolls have a duration of only 3 rounds. You will not need them to get to either the south position behind the ruins or north of the garrison, but after that, approach to the entrance will be done with stealth rolls and perception checks.

Scouting can show that there are two figures guarding the front doors. They appear humanoid armed with scythes. The cult of Descari members prefer to use the scythe, for what that's worth.


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

Karas spent his time up to the big assault with Arkalendev. Speaking soothing tones to her in draconic and telling stories of her mother in grandiose fashion. He wasn't sure if she would remember them but it felt good for him to tell them, even if he had to force the smile and choke back the tears through a few of them.

------------------------------------

When they sat out he seemed somber but happy. Ready to face down whatever threat to Her family line came.

He was happy to see Wendaug among the others that came from Neatholm.


Drezen Citadel Entrance | Aron's Map of Drezen Fortress

Zephyr, the Raiju that Terendelev adopted has followed along to the Defender's Heart. While the people inside are leery of the strange electric creature, once they learn it was Terendelev's pet, they raise no more objections, although those keeping order at the Inn prefer he be kept out of the general population, so he's been staying in the same area as the wyrmling. Karas can find someone who speaks Auran and so he can have information and instruction translated to the Zephyr to help him understand the situation with Terendelev and Arkalendev and the larger city. It thereafter assumes a devoted attitude toward protecting her.

If Karas cares to spend the feats, he can gain Zephyr as an animal companion, but it might take a couple of feats to do it.


Male Current Effects: Bloodrage; Fast Healing 1; Phantom Blood; Shield Other (Anarya); Align Weapon:Good (Claws) BR 5/DD 2 | HP 96/96| Rage 18/19 |AC 22|FF 21|T 11|Resistances: Cold 20, Fire 5, Electricity 5 | Fort +10 | Ref +5| Will +6 | CMD 25| Init +8 | Perc +14 | Spells: 1- 1/2 |Terendelev Scale (Align) 2/3|Mythic Power:5/7

dunno if I can devote the feats but maybe leadership could be discussed at some point

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 21 T 13(21vs incorp. touch) FF 18 | HP 61(69)/61(69)l F +8 R +8 W +7 (+16 vs charm/compulsion), (+1 vs. spells/SLAs of outsiders with (evil) subtype) | Init +7| Perc -1
Spells Per Day Remaining:
3-4/5 2-6/7 1-6/8
Spells Active:
False Life, Heroism, Mage Armor, Shield
Shield Scale:2/3

Earlier, before leaving for battle

Before the battle began, Avelina offered her companions and the soldiers and opportunity to listen to a sermon from her book of war prayers for a mere 10 minutes. Anyone that listened to the sermon found themselves emboldened by the book and her emotional delivery.

Anyone that stayed for the 10 minute sermon has a +2 morale bonus vs the first save they make vs fear in the next 24 hours

Avelina's Sermon:
Avelina clapped her hands together and cleared her throat.

"Today, I shall teach you of Iomedae's Fifth Act, which St. Septima of Drezen identifies as the Lesson of Persistence."

Avelina flipped open the tome and picked out the desired page with practiced ease.

"At the Battle of Three Sorrows, during the Shining Crusade's war against Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, the Tyrant himself dealt the Crusaders a grievous blow. He slew Arazni, Aroden's herald, and threw her corpse before the Crusaders."

Her face took on a grave expression.

"Iomedae was a paladin of Arazni. Imagine for a moment, your Goddess's corpse thrown to your feet. Imagine for a moment, the despair as the Woman you have aligned your Eternal Soul with is broken and bloodied. Imagine for a moment that Her killer stands before you, his armies at his back. Imagine for a moment feeling as though all the evils of the world stand against you."

Avelina began to tear up.

"Iomedae felt all of this, and more, for it is impossible to do justice to such a moment with these few meagre words. I tell you all this so that you may understand the context of this truth: even with all this weight upon Her, Iomedae did not stand down. She shed her tears, but she did not break. She did not forget Her Heart, even at the sight of the worst conceivable despair a paladin may confront. Instead of a retreat, she ordered a charge. Unprepared for such a swift response, the Tyrant let Erum-Hel, the Lord of Mohrgs receive the charge. With a resounding cleave of her blade, Heart's Edge, Iomedae smote him with such force that the general collapsed in an instant, only holding onto his profane existence due to the Tyrant's intervention. The rest of Erum-Hel's followers melted under a Righteous Tide, their black blood incinerated before it could even hit the ground and taint it with its evil. The Tyrant, always cautious, pulled out from the battle with his forces, knowing that a canny commander must respect the tides of battle."

Avelina could barely contain a grin as she continued reading.

"Here, we come to the Lesson. For Persistence is the ability to press on even when all the world stands against you. Persistence stole the Tyrant's triumph from him and gave it to the Righteous. When Evil attempts to show you despair, persist. Shed your tears, and fight."

Now

Avelina prepared for the coming battle by arming herself with her Goddess's Armor of Faith and by activating Telendrev's scale. Mage armor for four hours and shield for 19 minutes

Stealth being out of her element, Avelina hid in the middle of the group and followed Raine's lead.


Female human Rogue 3

More than a few of the crusaders who were present for Avelina's sermon were uplifted and many bowed respectfully to her in thanks before leaving to join their assigned group to move out for the attack. Faces around the Defender's Heart were grim, knowing this could be the last gasp of the crusade.

A small woman was near the back listening to the sermon. She came forward as most of the others moved on, limping noticeably. When her face became visible, all recognized her as Anevia Terabade. "Thank you Avelina. Although I won't be going into battle," she shrugs and glances down at her still healing leg, "I am grateful for what you are attempting to do. I would accompany you if I could but I know that you will be as brave and determined as you were rising from the deeps to help me get back to Irabeth. I will be praying for you all. I know you will do everything to keep my wife safe as you did for me. May Iomedae guide you and deliver victory." She gives Avelina a shy kiss on the cheek in thanks and then slips away.

Indicate any buffs you are putting into place, as Avelina has done, and make any last suggestions for strategy. The attack can come day or night, but Irabeth points out that demons can see as well in the dark as in light. She would prefer to start the attack at dawn, the hour of renewed hope. The better the enemy can see them attacking, the better the distraction will work.

The party will start at the south unless people agree that the garrison should be approached from the north. Some ruins provide cover from the south. Initiative will commence tomorrow afternoon (in RL time).


Male Human Aristocrat 4

As preparations took place in the Defender's Heart, another familiar face was seen, Horgus Gwerm. He arrived at the Heart packing as much of his wealth as could be carried, having caught the attention of a passing patrol and gaining escort to the old inn. He placed the items into the general battle fund, which allowed the crusaders more supplies for the fight than they were expecting, raising morale significantly. If any of the heroes made eye contact with him, he nodded and gave a weak smile before moving away.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Elf

When the heroes had their final briefing as the assault was only a day away, a tall elf arrived with a couple of rangers escorting him. It was Aravashnial. The rangers were carrying a couple of small wooden boxes which they set on the briefing table.

"Greetings, friends. I feared that this cache of Riftwarden resources might have been discovered by the enemy, but my friends here located it and retrieved it for use. Irabeth informed me of the plan and I believe you all need the aid these boxes can provide. Please use them as you have need."

He stepped back and listened as the contents of the boxes are unpacked and laid out for all to see. The cache included eight potions of cure serious wounds, four potions of lesser restoration, 10 +1 evil outsider bane arrows, a chime of opening, a longsword and dagger, both made of cold iron, a wand of magic missiles (CL 5th, 31 charges), and a wand
of daylight (24 charges).


Pal7 [HP: 102/102 | AC (25)22 | T 11 | FF 22 | CMD 21; Fort+10,Ref+5,Will+7; Init: +0; Per-1, Smite Evil 3/3, LOH 6/6] Immune to Fear effects | Immune to Disease | Allies within 10' get +4 on saves v. Fear |Mythic Tier 1

Elllena would take one of the CMW potions, and one of the Lesser Restoration potions. Other than that, she's ready to get this party started!

2,451 to 2,500 of 3,855 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Clebsch GM Wrath of the Righteous Adventure: Book 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.