Chronicles of Arcania: B/X Homebrew game.

Game Master Peet

Lost in the desert! The party gets separated from a desert caravan during a sandstorm. Parched and starving, they stumble on a ruined city in the middle of the desert. The pyramid at the center of the city seems mostly intact, and they find a secret door leading inside...

Tier 1 Map | Tier 2 Map | Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet
FIRE BEETLE NEST MAP

Initiative: not in combat.


3,451 to 3,500 of 4,286 << first < prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | next > last >>

Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

Cantrip (4): 1d6 ⇒ 5

Zynazyr tries to discretely call upon the power of the ring of the apprentice and quietly cast a cantrip to make Ferrous' beard move, but is unable to.


Female Elf 2 HP 13/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

"Really? We're going to play along with the charade? Fine," she huffs. "Bless me, Wallia." She stands still, arms spread.


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Walis takes out his holy symbol and starts chanting opens the holy water bottle, drops a drop of the water on Ana's tongue and closes the bottle.

"May the gods smile upon thee, oh so."

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Brathas wrote:
The magic beard line would have worked!

It did work! Ferrous' ankle remains un-stabbed.

Won't get to a proper post for at least a few hours.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Anastoria wrote:
"Really? We're going to play along with the charade? Fine," she huffs. "Bless me, Wallia." She stands still, arms spread.

"Excuse me," Nikos interjects, "but I think you mean parade, not charade. And THIS IS NOT A PARADE! It's not even Sunday, so... obviously. Sheesh."

So let's see how convincing Wallia can be (Ana has made it a bit more difficult):
Charisma: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

He looks at Wallia and shakes his head. "No, no, holy water won't work. You never heard of the priests taking care of the snake problem, have you? They like to talk about obedience, and fear, and sacrifice, but snakes? Never a word! No, it's up to good citizens like myself to save people from the spectral snakes."

He then looks at Ana rather crossly.

"If you are looking for a snakebite, and want to die the vanishing death, then don't come crying to me after you disappear! Now, we will be off if you will stand aside."

As they move to leave, Nikos leans in and whispers to Ferrous.

Ferrous:
"Say," Nikos whispers. "How much for the magic beard? I could use one," he asks.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

If any of you have parting words for Nikos & co. you can get them in now... I will move ahead in a little while.


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Walia says, "Nikos, it has been a pleasure, I look forward to meeting you again."


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

A deeply offended look overtakes Ferrous' s face as Nikos leaned in and whispered something. The flustered dwarf stammered indiginitly Not for sale. I'd rather sell my axe and shield. Now be gone! And pray that I don't use my beard to tell the snakes to attack you.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

"An axe and shield?" Nikos thinks for a moment. "Nah... you have to be pretty dumb to try to use an axe and a shield to protect yourself from snakes. Thanks anyways though."

Nikos turns to the other Cynidiceans.

"Come on, fellas. Let's get going." They begin to file past the party, and as they proceed down the hall, Nikos begins to walk in a zigzag path. "Remember, only step where I step."

They disappear around the corner.


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Walia says, "I like those people. Back to camp?

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

I am assuming that you will do so unless I hear otherwise. Some more people will be leveling up this time, so I'm putting together the next level up and examine items post.


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

Zynazyr shakes his head in disbelief as the group moves around the corner. "Is that what happens to the mind when you are cut off from civilization for so long?" he thinks to himself before following continuing on to camp.


M Human Thief 4 | HP 28/29 | AC 3 | F14 A12 C14 D12 H11 W11 | THAC0 14 | Move 40'

Brathas nods to the group and tries to walk where Nikos had walked.


Female Elf 2 HP 13/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Ana sighs with annoyance and follows the others.


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

Ferrous body shudders a bit as the thought of selling his beard crosses his mind again. He shakes his head and continues the trip back to the base with his sacks full of coin.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

2:00 PM, Day 7

Since Nikos and his friends are travelling the opposite direction as the party, only Ferrous got a decent look at where Nikos was walking to avoid the snakes. But regardless of the path the group takes, nobody detects any kind of snake or snakebite.

The party returns to the campsite without any more difficulty.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

XP Summary:

Getting Past the Haunts 100 XP
Traps 150 XP
Fire Beetles 90 XP
Wight 65 XP
Treasure 5000 XP
Spectral Snakes 30 XP

Total = 5435 / 6 = 906

Ana: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 5241 = 6238) ... and 1762 needed for 3rd level
Brathas: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 2994 = 3991) ... and 1009 needed for 4th level
Ferrous: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 4222 = 5219) ... Levels up and 3781 needed for 4th level
Fistep: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 4268 = 5265) ... 2735 needed for 4th level
Wallia: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 3044 = 4041) ... 1959 needed for 4th level
Zynazyr: 906 + 136 = 1042 (+ 4695 = 5737) ... Levels up and 4263 needed for 4th level

Ping!

Ferrous and Zynazyr both level up!

Ferrous Gets:
1d8 hit die (+ CON)
Progression goes from 4/3 to 6/3 (round up) so saves and THAC0 do not improve... except his dodge save progression which goes from 2 to 3.
A specialization.
I would recommend one of:
* Ability Specialization for a +1 to DEX (raises his AC and to-hit by +1), or
* Ability Specialization for a +1 to STR (raises his melee damage by +1), or
* Combat Specialization for Berzerking, or maybe
* Combat Specialization for Oath (against savagery, gives +1 to hit & damage against goblins, orcs, ogres, trolls, etc).

Zynazyr Gets:
1d3 hit die (+ CON)
Progression for saves goes from 2/2 to 3/2, so +1 to all saves.
Progression for attacks goes from 2/3 to 3/3 so no change.
A specialization.
I would recommend one of:
* Ability Specialization for a +1 to DEX (raises his AC and to-hit by +1), or
* Ability Specialization for a +1 to INT (raises his cantrip and detect magic by +1 and will allow more bonus spells when he gets to 5th level), or
* Awareness Specialization +1 to his chance (in 6) to detect anything
* Thief specialization to gain a 1st level thief ability
* Combat specialization to learn aa weapon (like shortbow, maybe)

A 2nd level spell!!!

Choose 1 from:
Continual Light (Continual Darkness)
Control Earth (Control Water)
ESP (Mind Mask)
Invisibility (Detect Invisible)
Heat Ray (Freeze Ray)
Knock (Wizard Lock)
Levitate (Levitate Object)
Mirror Image (Disguise Self)
Phantasmal Force (Detect Illusion)
Spider Climb (Grease)
Stinking Cloud (Lotus Petals)
Web (Freedom)

Control Earth, Heat Ray/Freeze Ray, Phantasmal Force, Stinking Cloud, Web, and Grease are all valid combat spells to attack enemies, though Heat Ray/Freeze Ray is the only one that actually does damage.

Keep in mind the 2nd level spells in the wizard's spellbook- no point in duplicating those ones.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

It's only 2 PM so there is a fair bit of time to scribe more spells into spellbooks.

Here's what's left out of the wizard's spellbook:

Lost City DM wrote:

The spellbook has 13 spells.

1. - detect magic (Zynazyr can read it)
2. - floating disk (Ana can read it)
3. - magic missile (Ana can read it)
4. - protection from evil (Ana can read it)
5. - read magic (Ana can read it)
6. - shield (Zynazyr can read it)

7. - sleep (Zynazyr can read it)
8. - continual light (Ana can read it)
9. - detect invisible (Zynazyr can read it)
10. - knock (Ana can read it)
11. - web (Zynazyr can read it)
12. - water breathing (Ana can read it)
13. - lightning bolt (Zynazyr can read it)

FYI: floating disk and shield are actually the reverse of each other.

Ana: It occurs to me that you tend to come back to camp with some spells left over from the day. So it may be a decent idea for you to start diversifying into utility spells instead of combat spells.

Detect magic is a decent spell for analyzing your treasure haul at the end of the day.
Floating disk would save Ferrous from having to stuff all his pockets with gold.
Knock is often useful though you won't be able to cast it until 3rd level.

Zynazyr: You already scribed read magic, shield, detect invisible, web, and lightning bolt into your book, but you have not listed them on your profile.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

BTW everyone will heal 4 HP from rest except for Ana who will heal 3.


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

Don't forget about this.

Lost City DM wrote:

10:20 AM, Day 7

50 bonus XP for Ferrous for coming up with the idea.

The haunts can be walked through like mist. Once the group passes through the haunts, strangely, the haunts seem to still be facing them regardless of where the character stands.

HP: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Do you gain these HP as well?
Also think I will take the DEX Ability specialization. Need to up my THAC0. Although could I instead take Weapon Proficiency in Battle Axe and then if/when I find Battle Axe I could use the two handed weapon getting to apply my STR to THAC0? I edited my sheet like I took the DEX boost.

Ferrous spends the rest of his waking time away from the group and braiding platinum coins into his beard. When he returns he has a good 20 platinum coins shining through the coarse hair of his beard and a smile stretch from cheek to cheek. Reckon I have the richest beard a dwarf ever boosted of. He still has his sacks of gold and platinum coins bulging from everywhere. Well I carried it back here so keep your begging dirty hands away from it. He screams at one of the camp dwellers. IT'S MINE! He hisses behind tightly clenched teeth.


Female Elf 2 HP 13/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Ana will take the time to scribe continual light, if that is alright with Zynazyr. She would also like to try to read detect magic.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

Ferrous: Good catch!

XP Summary (corrected):

Getting Past the Haunts 100 XP
Traps 150 XP
Fire Beetles 90 XP
Wight 65 XP
Treasure 5000 XP
Spectral Snakes 30 XP

Ferrous gets 50 bonus XP

Total = 5435 / 6 = 906

Ana: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 5241 = 6238) ... and 1762 needed for 3rd level
Brathas: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 2994 = 3991) ... and 1009 needed for 4th level
Ferrous: 956 + 96 = 1052 (+ 4222 = 5274) ... Levels up and 3726 needed for 4th level
Fistep: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 4268 = 5265) ... 2735 needed for 4th level
Wallia: 906 + 91 = 997 (+ 3044 = 4041) ... 1959 needed for 4th level
Zynazyr: 906 + 136 = 1042 (+ 4695 = 5737) ... Levels up and 4263 needed for 4th level


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

HP: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

I forgot to go see the Magi to find out what 2nd lvl spells they can teach me before I leveled. Unless I can delay picking a new spell, I'll take Heat Ray. I'll update my sheet later today with the spells I've scribed also.

Re: Specialization - it looks like we get this every odd lvl going forward and can only raise each ability score once, correct? If so,
I think I'll go Dex this time and Int next. I think I'm better going this route than learning to shoot a bow. At 5th level, my cantrip will do 1-5 dam and hit on a 5 or less on a d6.

Ana re: Continual Light

Right now there is only 1 spell left for me to scribe while you have 5. Since I can now cast Continual Light, I'd like to try to read it and then scribe it if successful. Then I can teach it to you. Also, I'm not sure of your reasoning in trying to read Detect Magic. I can scribe that one and teach it to you.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Lost City DM wrote:
Zynazyr wrote:
I forgot to go see the Magi to find out what 2nd lvl spells they can teach me before I leveled.
Actually, while we're on the subject, I think you guys wanted to store the treasure somewhere else... the secret room on the 2nd tier I think? Or was it the room on the 3rd tier where the snakes were? We could pause and allow for that side trip, and you could visit the magi on the way. If everyone agrees. There is an additional chance of wandering monsters though.

Do you guys want to retcon a bit and have the group continue up to the third tier before camping for the night? There were two reasons why:

1. Ferrous wanted to hide the loot in a secure place aside from camp. There are rooms accessible only by secret door on the 2nd and 3rd tiers. I don't recall which one you wanted to use.
2. Zynazyr also would like to chat with the Magi.


M Human Thief 4 | HP 28/29 | AC 3 | F14 A12 C14 D12 H11 W11 | THAC0 14 | Move 40'

Works for me.


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

Either way works for me Surly Dwarf at the camp or Paranoid Dwarf at the camp.


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

<--- this guy wants to!


Female Elf 2 HP 13/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Sure.


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 16/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 15'

Fine with me


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Wallia will go with and then this evening he will read about the details of Zenobia and Aleksander and see if he can get any insights for the next morning's foray into the crypt of Aleksander.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

Retcon: 2:20 PM, Day 7

1d6 ⇒ 6

The group makes its way back up to the third tier without difficulty.

The illusion of the pit is there again, but Zynazyr is able to deactivate it the same way as he did last time. The illusion falls away like broken glass and the starry hallway is revealed. The group knocks, and a magi opens the door. They are ushered in where they meet Auriga once again.


"Greetings, my dear time-travelling friends! Welcome back. I was just thinking about you not a moment ago, and here you are!"

"What can I do for you today? Some more business, perhaps?"


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

Ferrous is hanging towards the back of the group. Keeping a suspicious eye out behind them.


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Wallia says, "I know my parishner would like to ask some arcanic question. I was wondering if you know anything about these interesting fellows we ran into earlier today. Led by a fellow named Nikos. Seemed somewhat obtuse but otherwise a very friendly sort. Would you happen to know much about his group? And where they are located fore I would be interested in paying him a visit."

I will mention the kind of masks they were wearing if Auriga does not recognize the name Nikos.


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

Zynazyr smiles and nods at the magi. He waits while Wallia is done with his questioning. "Yes, we have seen quite an interesting collection of individuals. The experience has allowed me to grow and unlock more of my potential. I feel I am ready to learn some more powerful spells and was hoping you could teach me some. What might you be able to help me learn?" he asks, eagerly waiting for his response.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wallia of Winterbourne Stoke wrote:
Wallia says, "... Led by a fellow named Nikos...."

"Hmm... Nikos, eh? Well, that's a pretty common name. One of my acolytes is named Nikos, though I doubt that's who you mean. Whomever it is, unless this was a Gormite no doubt he lives in the city below."

"A camel mask is a little unusual but non-religious people typically have a number of masks and switch them out according to their fancy. Tomorrow he might have a cat mask, or a rabbit."

Zynazyr wrote:
"...I feel I am ready to learn some more powerful spells and was hoping you could teach me some...."

"Good to hear! I always like to encourage those studying the arcane arts."

Zynazyr and Auriga spend a few minutes discussing the technical elements of arcane magic, which is just gibberish for the rest of the party (except Ana).

The two of you establish that you are interested in second-level spells.

"Second-order spells are difficult to master, but worth learning. My personal favourite is phantasmal force. You can conjure just about anything as long as your enemy doesn't see through the illusion. But I can also teach continual light, levitate, and stinking cloud. All quite useful. Whichever it is, I'll need to know to prepare them a day in advance, obviously."

"For a second-order spell, I will charge a teaching fee of, shall we say... 1000 gold pieces? Quite reasonable, you'll agree. From the sound your clinking friend is making," Auriga nods towards Ferrous, "It sounds as if you can afford it."

As before, this is between 5 and 10 times what a wizard would charge in the outside world.


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

Zynazyr smiles when Auriga agrees to teach him and he finds out what spells he can learn but grimaces when he mentions the price. He gives Ferrous a cold stare for limiting his bargaining power. "That's a bit more than I was expecting. I'll need to discuss it with the group. Will you excuse us for a moment?" he asks as he gathers the group back out in the hall.


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

A thousand Gold for a wee bit of knowledge seems a steep price. Think of all the armor and weapons and beer that money could buy.
The dwarf takes a few clinking steps away from Zynazyr. Next you'll be saying you want MY gold and platinum to pay the price.


M Human Thief 4 | HP 28/29 | AC 3 | F14 A12 C14 D12 H11 W11 | THAC0 14 | Move 40'

"Zynazyr, do you think they would be interested in the books from the crypt of Hezkanos-Thalos? Perhaps a trade could be made.
I don't really know how to value the books, but perhaps we could judge by their reactions upon seeing one of those tomes how much they truly value them."


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

Zynazyr pauses for a moment, staring in disbelief at the dwarf's statement. He takes a deep breath to calm himself before speaking.

"I admit, it is much more than I would pay if we were in a city, but we're not. So far, he is the only one who can help me, so he can set the price. The 'wee bit of knowledge' as you put it will make our enemies double over to lose their last meal instead of attacking us, so I do think it is worth spending some of our gold on. I know you dwarves like to hoard your gold, but it won’t do you any good if we don’t find a way back to civilization. I imagine, given the shortage of water so far, that if we find a tavern further below, you’ll be paying 10 times as much as usual for your beer, just as I’m am having to do for my spell, and I'll get to use my spell more than once!” he says, irritated that Ferrous seems to forget they are lost in the middle of a dessert. He looks to the others hoping that they have more common sense.

He listens to Brathas. "We certainly can see about trading some of the items we found. Something like that would probably have more value to the people here. As long as Wallia is done with them, I see no reason to keep them.”


Female Elf 2 HP 13/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Ana shrugs, "My gold is your gold, but getting dwarf to part with his riches? You'd be better off trying to hold back the tide."

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Maps | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

Any kind of consensus here, guys?

Really, all you need to do is:
* Either tell him you accept the price or try to haggle, AND,
* Tell him what spell you want him to prepare for the next day (sounds like stinking cloud). He won't be willing to teach more than one 2nd level spell in a day.

And since he is a fairly chatty guy, if anyone else wants to ask him some unrelated things now is a good time.


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Wallia walks back and says, "We have some ancient tome that you might could be interested in... What say you?


Wallia of Winterbourne Stoke wrote:
Wallia walks back and says, "We have some ancient tome that you might could be interested in... What say you?

"Is that right?" Auriga smiles, curious.

"I suppose some kind of trade is possible. We are collectors of knowledge, after all. What sort of tome is it?" Auriga asks.


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Wallia says, "Well, we have a few books: "The Mystery of Fate - a book about astrology, with diagrams.
Writings of Al-Razi -
The Songs of Alato
The Tragedy of Prince Kirinos A collection of four plays, including the title play, by the playwright Agosthenes.
The Ideal State - a book of political philosophy by Megenthones, a well-known philosopher from ancient Minrothad.
The Ierendia - a history of Ierendi by the poet Luganos."


"Well... that is quite a collection, especially for a group pf travellers. I recognize those names. I suppose we could take them all off your hands, though it is The Mystery of Fate that would particularly interest me. Our order is an order of Astrologers, you see."

"The Writings of Al-Razi also might be quite useful. We have a few alchemists in our order."

"The other ones are more... cultural. But it is important that this sort of knowledge not be lost. All the great books are from long ago. Nobody writes things like that any more."

Auriga rubs his chin, thinking.

"Assuming the tomes are in good condition, I could give you... say, 600 gold pieces for the lot? Or I could deduct that amount from my fee."


Alphatian 3 | 15/17 hp | AC 7 | F15 A10 C14 D13 H11 W12 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Charm Person, Sleep, Binding / Invisibility, Wizard Lock

"I agree it is important to collect books such as these. Knowledge is power. Unfortunately, some don't feel the same way," Zynazyr says, glancing over towards the fighters in the group. "Eventually, I would like to learn 3 of the spells you mentioned. As I doubt you have many travelers knocking on your door asking you to teach them, perhaps you would be willing to lower your price. What if we give you the books and 1500 gp to teach me stinking cloud, phantasmal force, and levitate? Each of the next 3 days I can bring you 2 of the books and 500 gp to learn a spell. What do you say? We both increase our knowledge, and you add to your coffers."


Male Human Cleric 3 Prophet Male Cleric 3 | hp 16/16 | AC 1 | F15 A15 C12 D15 H11 W13 | THAC0 Ranged 17, melee 18| Mv 15'

Wallia smiles and says, "I may have come across that tome in our travels. How much would that be worth to you?"


Male Dwarven Axe-man (Level 3) hp 22/37  || AC 1 || F11 A15 C12 D11 H6 W8 || THAC0 17 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60

The dwarf grins back at the wizard when he glances towards him and Fistep. He mutters under his breath and to the fighter books are great ... for kindling.


Zynazyr wrote:
"I agree it is important to collect books such as these. Knowledge is power. Unfortunately, some don't feel the same way," Zynazyr says, glancing over towards the fighters in the group. "Eventually, I would like to learn 3 of the spells you mentioned. As I doubt you have many travelers knocking on your door asking you to teach them, perhaps you would be willing to lower your price. What if we give you the books and 1500 gp to teach me stinking cloud, phantasmal force, and levitate? Each of the next 3 days I can bring you 2 of the books and 500 gp to learn a spell. What do you say? We both increase our knowledge, and you add to your coffers."

Auriga considers Zynazyr's offer.

Zynazyr's Charisma: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15

"Tell you what... make it 600 gold plus two books per spell, and you have a bargain. But make sure The Mystery of Fate is one of the ones you bring on the first day. Deal?"

3,451 to 3,500 of 4,286 << first < prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chronicles of Arcania: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.