Beacons of Hope: Wrath of the Righteous!

Game Master R0B0GEISHA

Battle map

Loot spreadsheet


2,401 to 2,450 of 2,960 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

WotR Combat Map

The groups from the teams to the quarry and crusader camp return to Defender's Heart, worn and weary. Thankfully, Kimroth has prepared a hot stew of re-hydrated jerky and white beans. It isn't much, but surely you and the rest of the Defender's Heart survivors eat like kings compared to the rest of Kenabres.

Your excursions have born fruit. The team that returns from the crusader's camp bears a couple of salvaged cold iron weapons and the quarry team routed a cell of Baphomet cultists. Among the bowls and cups set out for dinner is a chest, displaying a number of neatly wrapped items.

"From our friend Aravashniel," Anevia explains, her wounded leg splinted and propped out along a bench. "Claimed it to be a cache of supplies from the Blackwing that the librarians uncovered after the invasion. He thought we might be able to make better use of it."

Irabeth grunts in agreement. "He's right. You'll need all the help you can get going back to the Gray Garrison. Whatever forces the enemy can claim will be mustered to its defense now, surely." The half-orc paladin stuff a spoonful of stew into her mouth and chews for a moment, eyeing the new equipment laid out on the table.

"I hope it is enough. What will the plan of attack be now?"

New Loot:
The cache contains eight potions of cure serious wounds, four potions of lesser restoration, ten +1 evil outsider bane arrows, a chime of opening, a wand of magic missile (CL 5th, 31 charges), and a wand of daylight (24 charges).

Additionally, the party now has two new cold iron weapons which can take the form of whatever the party wants or needs most.

Welcome back all of the Beacons of the Righteous! I apologize for the hand-wavery nature of this scene, but it's helpful for me to get everybody on the same page immediately, especially with a group this large.


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

Arloric gratefully accepts the stew, eager to recover his strength after his encounter with the Night Kestrel.

"Most likely they'll have barred the gate, which is how we got in the first time, but with that chime, we might have a way to open the window we couldn't before, which I can reach with Terendelev's scale. What do you think?" he asks the others.


Male Human (Taldan) Cleric 5 | Loot
Status:
AC: 16/10/16, HP 40/40; Init 0

Aberus looks over the cache, his eyes lingering on the chimes. "My only worry there is that we can't get up that wall more than one at a time. In theory, that," he says, "can get through even a barred gate. Though we may have to sound it multiple times."


F Halfling Barbarian 5 | HP 56/56| AC19 (T15 FF15) CMD17 | F+7 R+6 W+3(+2 vs Fear) | Init +6 | Perception +11 | Rage 14/14

"I'm hopeful." Kelly says, "We finally seem to be making some progress."


Female Aasimar Paladin 5. HP 52/52; AC 19/10/19 (22/13/22 during SMITE); F+12 R+6 W+10; Init +0; Smite evil 2/day; LOH 8/day(4) Acid 5, Electricity 5, Cold 5

"Since we know for a fact that we'll be outnumbered, I definiteky don't think one at a time would be in our favor." Darya says as she contemplates the mission.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"What can you tell us of the Garrison from your first trip?" Sario asks, rubbing at her shoulders trying to warm up a bit.


Male Human (Taldan) Cleric 5 | Loot
Status:
AC: 16/10/16, HP 40/40; Init 0

"We used a fair number of our resources just getting inside." Aberus says. "The door outside was guarded by vermleks. We claimed the bodies they inhabited—Lord Hulrun and Kandro Nyserian—for burial," he adds, solemnly.

"The door itself is reinforced wood, as you might expect from a military compound. We used a spell for magical silence and another to make good Uriel here larger so that he could bash it in quietly. Once inside," he says with a shurg, "We were swarmed by tieflings and demons. Um, no offense, Arloric."


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"So we should expect more resistance once inside? Some of my magics won't be as effective without plant life but I will make due." Sario says eating some of her stew


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10
Aberus Ocellio wrote:

"We used a fair number of our resources just getting inside." Aberus says. "The door outside was guarded by vermleks. We claimed the bodies they inhabited—Lord Hulrun and Kandro Nyserian—for burial," he adds, solemnly.

"The door itself is reinforced wood, as you might expect from a military compound. We used a spell for magical silence and another to make good Uriel here larger so that he could bash it in quietly. Once inside," he says with a shurg, "We were swarmed by tieflings and demons. Um, no offense, Arloric."

Arloric raises an eyebrow.

"Why would I take offense, Aberus? I'm neither of those."

Arloric doesn't KNOW he's a tiefling. He thinks he's just a human whose injuries from a demon left a mark on him. ;)

He turns to Alexa and frowns.

"I'm sorry, Dorne. I know you had a lot of respect for the Prelate."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DR: 2/Evil|Female Aasimar (Emberkin) Rogue (Unchained) 5|HP: 33/33|AC: 16/12/14|Saves: +2 Fort, +6 Ref, +3 Will (+5 vs. charm/compulsion)|Init: +2|Perc: +8
Aberus wrote:
"The door outside was guarded by vermleks. We claimed the bodies they inhabited—Lord Hulrun and Kandro Nyserian—for burial."

Alexa's eyes widen when Aberus mentions that Prelate Hulrun is dead.

Bluff: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

DC 14 Sense Motive:
...she's not doing a good job of hiding her joy at hearing the news.

Arloric wrote:
"I'm sorry, Dorne. I know you had a lot of respect for the Prelate."

She then turns to the marked man and looks at him like he just said something foolish.

"Don't be. I had every reason to hate the man."


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

Arloric blinks in surprise at Alexa's reaction to the news.

"I...did too, but I didn't think you hated him THAT much!"


Male Angelkin Aasimar Paladin 4 Init +2; darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +3; AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor); hp 40/40; F +9, R +6, W +8; +2 vs. evil

"The forces we faced were not individually terribly challenging, but we were clearly using a lot of our resources, magical and otherwise. That, combined with a lack of weapons sufficient to penetrate a demon's defenses, necessitated breaking off the attack. Now that they are prepared, I suspect their defenses will be reinforced. It will not be an easy fight." Uriel says, mostly to Sario.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"I see, so we should be prepared to spend more resources on the inside? Is there anything here at Defender's heart that can help us out?" Sario asks


WotR Combat Map

"Besides what we have on the table?" Irabeth asks. "Not really. There are a couple merchants here that would be willing to sell their wares though."

"As well as buy anything you might scavenge from Kenabres," Anevia adds.


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

"Which we've already attempted, actually," Arloric adds. "Horgus Gwerm is still the only noble willing to open their gates to us, and the camp we helped gave us all they had. Whatever we decide to do, it's now or never. The demon witch Areelu Vorlesh won't wait for us."


DR: 2/Evil|Female Aasimar (Emberkin) Rogue (Unchained) 5|HP: 33/33|AC: 16/12/14|Saves: +2 Fort, +6 Ref, +3 Will (+5 vs. charm/compulsion)|Init: +2|Perc: +8
Arloric Dziergas-Highbough wrote:

Arloric blinks in surprise at Alexa's reaction to the news.

"I...did too, but I didn't think you hated him THAT much!"

Alexa snorts. "I did."

"However, we don't have time to get into the details." She brushes some dust off of her chain shirt. "I might be able to get us inside the Garrison--I can probably lie my way inside and open up a way in."

"I'll need some time to make a good disguise. Do we still have any unholy symbols or have they been destroyed already?"


Female Aasimar Paladin 5. HP 52/52; AC 19/10/19 (22/13/22 during SMITE); F+12 R+6 W+10; Init +0; Smite evil 2/day; LOH 8/day(4) Acid 5, Electricity 5, Cold 5

"We should still have a couple of them." Darya says nodding at Alexa's plan. While she wasn't one for deception herself, she definitely appreciated Alexa's more subtle talents.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"What happens if you get caught? how do we break into to get to you?" Sario asks as she keeps eating.


DR: 2/Evil|Female Aasimar (Emberkin) Rogue (Unchained) 5|HP: 33/33|AC: 16/12/14|Saves: +2 Fort, +6 Ref, +3 Will (+5 vs. charm/compulsion)|Init: +2|Perc: +8

"...hopefully, it won't come to that." Alexa purses her lips. "But, that being said, it can."

"What I'm planning to do is pose as a messenger, of sorts. Or at least someone with written orders from up top. I'm going to try to open the main gates of the Garrison and keep them open long enough for you all to get inside."

"If I get caught, Arloric's plan to open a window with the chime we found is a sound backup."

"How many windows does the Garrison have, again? It's been a while since I last visited there."


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

Would Arloric remember from when he and the others were last there?


F Halfling Barbarian 5 | HP 56/56| AC19 (T15 FF15) CMD17 | F+7 R+6 W+3(+2 vs Fear) | Init +6 | Perception +11 | Rage 14/14

Its only been a couple days since we were there, at most. And we studied the place well from the outside before going in. I’d think we’d remember some details.


WotR Combat Map

Azura might have changed this, but according to the book, the garrison doesn't have any windows. It's lit entirely with continual flame spells.


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

Oh. Derp!


DR: 2/Evil|Female Aasimar (Emberkin) Rogue (Unchained) 5|HP: 33/33|AC: 16/12/14|Saves: +2 Fort, +6 Ref, +3 Will (+5 vs. charm/compulsion)|Init: +2|Perc: +8

"...oh. No windows. Dammit."

Alexa sighs in frustration. "Alright--we'll go with Arloric's plan. I'll keep the disguise because it should allow me to move about the Garrison without attracting too much attention."


Male Human (Taldan) Cleric 5 | Loot
Status:
AC: 16/10/16, HP 40/40; Init 0
GM R0B0GEISHA wrote:
Azura might have changed this, but according to the book, the garrison doesn't have any windows. It's lit entirely with continual flame spells.

Azura described it as a small shutter, up above the main door.


WotR Combat Map
Aberus Ocellio wrote:
Azura described it as a small shutter, up above the main door.

I thought I remembered seeing it somewhere. We'll still play as though that shutter is there.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"So one little way in other than the main door? Is there a way in from the wall to the building?" Sario asks


Male Human (Taldan) Cleric 5 | Loot
Status:
AC: 16/10/16, HP 40/40; Init 0

"Not that we saw, though we didn't make it farther than the main rooms of the ground floor. It is, however, a garrison, so I would be surprised if it had such weaknesses."


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

"It's also why it's one of the last places still held by the enemy in the city. After wrecking Kenabres' other defenses they wanted a safe place to complete their ritual with the Wardstone Fragment."


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"They have a fragment of the wardstone? do we know what they plan to do with it?" Sario asks


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

"They're looking to turn what was our greatest defense into a weapon of our doom. Areelu Vorlesh herself is coming here to wreak some foul magic on it that will spread to the other Wardstones, right along the border where Mendev's armies have gathered to fend off this attack! We have to get to the Wardstone fragment first and destroy it, or our survival thus far will have been for naught," Arloric explains.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Campaign maps: Team Wrath map: Crusaders' Camp | Team Wardens map: Truestone quarry tunnels

The small shutter over the door is described on p. 42, bottom right paragraph of the module.


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10
DM Azura wrote:
The small shutter over the door is described on p. 42, bottom right paragraph of the module.

Thank you, awesome former GM lady! :D


Female Aasimar Paladin 5. HP 52/52; AC 19/10/19 (22/13/22 during SMITE); F+12 R+6 W+10; Init +0; Smite evil 2/day; LOH 8/day(4) Acid 5, Electricity 5, Cold 5

"Then we need to get in there sooner rather than later." Darya says with a frown.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"I agree, we cannot let this happen


F Halfling Barbarian 5 | HP 56/56| AC19 (T15 FF15) CMD17 | F+7 R+6 W+3(+2 vs Fear) | Init +6 | Perception +11 | Rage 14/14

"I'm ready to go!"


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

"I'm sure we'll be able to push through, this time. Their pack may have grown since last time, but ours has too, and now we have TWO paladins!"


WotR Combat Map

The party might now have two paladins, but the Grey Garrison's main gate was now guarded by four vermleks. The hideous creatures weren't attempting to hide now; their pale, wormlike heads casting about for any sign of attack. Clearly, the demonic forces here received reinforcements.

We can assume you're a fair enough distance away that they vermleks don't notice you.


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

"We may need the wildcat among us to take point here. Dorne?" Arloric whispers.


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex) hp 14 (3d6) Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +5 (+1 Trait bonus to disbelieve illusions); +2 vs. enchantments Defensive Abilities resistance; Immune sleep; Resist fire 5

These things aren't technically summoned are they?

I have a few spells that might help a few to be protected from evil and energy she says.


DR: 2/Evil|Female Aasimar (Emberkin) Rogue (Unchained) 5|HP: 33/33|AC: 16/12/14|Saves: +2 Fort, +6 Ref, +3 Will (+5 vs. charm/compulsion)|Init: +2|Perc: +8

Taking 20 on Disguise check before leaving to appear as a female human cultist of (insert demon lord with appropriate unholy symbol here). 28 total, 20 minutes to make.

The disguised Alexa, dressed in a battered helmet, ragged cloak and her lacquered black chain shirt, looks on at the vermleks and grimaces.

"...alright, how do you want me to do this? Just lie and say we're supposed to be reinforcements? Because you've been here before--I don't think that trick will work."


WotR Combat Map

They came through the Worldwound, so they aren't summoned.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"I guess we test your disguise, if it doesn't work we do it the hard way." Sario says readying her spear


AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex) hp 14 (3d6) Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +5 (+1 Trait bonus to disbelieve illusions); +2 vs. enchantments Defensive Abilities resistance; Immune sleep; Resist fire 5

The elf nods.


Male Angelkin Aasimar Paladin 4 Init +2; darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +3; AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 17 (+7 armor); hp 40/40; F +9, R +6, W +8; +2 vs. evil

Before we leave.

Catching Darya in a quiet moment, Uriel waves the fellow Paladin over. ”Sister, I have something that I think can help our efforts.” Removing his grandfather’s scabbarded blade from where it was strapped to his back, he passes it to the other Paladin. ”This blade has been in family for generations. I inherited it from my grandfather when he fell in battle. I swore my vows upon it when I became a Paladin.” Pulling it partly from its scabbard so that its dark gray blade is evident, he says ”Its cold iron blade is especially effective against our demonic foes.” Holding the blade out to her, he says ”It would be an honor if you would wield it as we retake the Gray Garrison.”


Female Aasimar Paladin 5. HP 52/52; AC 19/10/19 (22/13/22 during SMITE); F+12 R+6 W+10; Init +0; Smite evil 2/day; LOH 8/day(4) Acid 5, Electricity 5, Cold 5

"You honor me Brother. I will do my best to do both this blade, and your family legacy justice as well reclaim the garrison." Darya replies, accepting the weapon with a note of reverence.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"Do we know how they will hold the city once we retake it?" Sario asks as the question just dawns on her.


Male Tiefling (Pitborn) Bard (Filidh) 5|HP: 35/35|AC: 15/10/15|Saves: +2 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will|Init: +0|Perc: +10

"We destroy the Wardstone Fragment, and Areelu's ritual never happens. No disaster on the border, meaning Queen Galfrey is free to send reinforcements to hold and rebuild the city," Arloric replies.


Human Druid; HP 33/33 | AC 15 | T 12 | FF 14 | CMD 16 | Fort +6 | Ref +2 | Will +8 | Init +2 | Perc +11 (Darkvision 60ft)

"Sounds like we have our plan, Alexa you do your thing we will cover you from here." Sario says


DR: 2/Evil|Female Aasimar (Emberkin) Rogue (Unchained) 5|HP: 33/33|AC: 16/12/14|Saves: +2 Fort, +6 Ref, +3 Will (+5 vs. charm/compulsion)|Init: +2|Perc: +8

Alexa swallows and starts to stagger forward, acting like a battered, beleaguered cultist.

Once she gets within 40 feet of the front door, she calls out to the vermleks.

Abyssal:
"You! Open the doors, reinforcements are coming!"

Bluff?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Oh, dear god...

I'll admit I laughed when I saw that result.

Chance Encounter Bluff Reroll: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

WHAT?!

2,401 to 2,450 of 2,960 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Part 1: The Fall of Kenabres. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.