Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


3,351 to 3,400 of 3,679 << first < prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

Crawbert shakes his head. "You can tell her you're from me. We aren't friends, not exactly, but we were coworkers. She used to visit town every few weeks for supplies and we haven't heard from her in a month. She always had a dread fascination with monsters, especially those summoned or transformed by magic, and she built her tower to study the creatures of the Hollow Hills." Crawbert pauses. [b]"I always suspected there was more to it, though I could never be sure."[b]


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan looks to the others and nods, "Shall we leave at first light, or try and cram it in today? Not sure how far away it is, but we can really haul ass out there."

He's ready to go, but isn't sure what the best plan might be.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil is happy to go now, but can wait as needed.

"Let's get out there. No telling what is happening out there and we have so much to do here," he replies to Faolan.

If we go now, Bazsil will offer an extended Heroism to both himself and Faolan when the party gets really close.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"Yup, between the chariot and Baszil's song we can be there in no time. We don't want to get cut off behind the lines." Bor grabs his bag and shield, ready to get this over with.


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”No sense wasting time. Let’s head out.”

After summoning a chariot, Krowe uses a wand of infernal healing to mend his wounds while the group rides out.

Shadow Lodge

Navah’s tower is 20 miles northwest of Longshadow. A barely visible trail leads the way, and the mayor can provide more detailed directions. The tower itself is carved into the face of a 30-foot-tall basalt cliff. The bulk of the tower rises from the floor of a shallow cave at the foot of the cliff and penetrates through the ceiling into the stone above. There is a second tower atop the hill. Both towers protrude from the top of the cliff and terminate in conical slate roofs. The walls of the towers are smooth and the windows narrow. The cliff the tower rises through offers plenty of handholds.

K. Arcana 25:

The walls of the tower are crafted via spellwork, specifically wall of stone and stone shape.


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan looks to the tower with excitement, Surely we won’t climb, we’ll fly! I get to fly again!

”So, where do we want to start?”


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17 Know (Arcana)

"Well, we *can* climb up," Bazsil looks over at Krowe, "Unless we have other solutions. Anyone see an entrance? That cave?"

Unless there is another entrance or a way to fly into, Bazsil will suggest the cave.


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25

”These towers were crafted with magic. I would assume magical defenses exist as well.”

Krowe casts a spell to detect for magical auras and scans the cave and towers. He then does a physical examination of the area for any signs of recent passage.

Detect Magic
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23
Survival for tracking: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

Are any of the windows large enough to get through if we fly?

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor looks back and forth. "Why are there two towers though? The Mayor only mentioned the one. Is this a trick Krowe?"

Shadow Lodge

The windows are far too narrow to allow passage of a person with a skeleton inside of their meat sack, even if that person was a halfling.

You find no magic from the tower and move into the cave to check there. A small, damp cave opens into the face of a sheer cliff. Though twenty feet tall at its mouth, the ceiling of the cave slopes gently downward to a height of ten feet at its back. A sixty-foot-wide stone tower blocks almost the entire entrance. Oak splinters and iron banding lie scattered across the cave floor.


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

"I assume everything is a trick. Which is why I'm still alive."

Using his wand, Krowe protects himself with mage armor. He then casts a bull's strength spell upon Bor. Finally, he summons a large earth elemental and sends it ahead of the group.

Oak splinters indicate a shattered door? Is there an opening in the tower wall? If we can't find an entrance down here, then Krowe will probably cast fly on Faolan and have the brawler carry him up to a window to get a look inside the tower to find a space into which he can dimension door the group.

Shadow Lodge

It's not clear from the description (sorry) but the tower fills most of the cave and the cave curves around the tower. You don't see a door from where you are standing but your assumption is reasonable. There is more to the tower/cave out of sight.

What are the elementals instructions?


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil waits to see what happens.

”How do we get in this dang place? Anyone see a place to knock? To enter?”


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan, a little disappointed they aren't just flying in, waits to see what happens to the elemental before following it deeper into the cave.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"Krowe, we are trying to talk her into joining us. We go bashing her door in and toppling her tower it might...send the wrong message." Bor pounds his fist on the front door.


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

I saw oak splinters and assumed a door had been broken in, but I don’t think we actually have found a door yet.

”Lets follow the cave and see if it circles the tower. Perhaps the way in is around the side.”

Krowe grumbles in Terran and gives the elemental an order to lead the way and protect them from harm.

Shadow Lodge

You enter the cave, elemental at the lead. Rounding the corner you see that the tower did indeed have a door and it is indeed splintered and covering the floor of the cave. You see three huge bears and several nests in the far corner of the cave. You're not sure what caused the destruction of the door, although the pieces are in the cave there is a clear spot directly in front of the door with no splinters.

Turning your gaze back to the bears, two of them appear to be owlbears. The third is a towering beast of fur and muscle. Not satisfied with an owl head or a bear head, this creature has both. Around their necks you see leather collars and all three are staring at you with curiosity.

Mechanically you have 2 Large owlbears (you've met them before when the treant was sending them after you) and a Huge two headed owlbear thing with a bear head and an owl head.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil lays a hand to keep the party back as he steps *slightly* closer to address the owlbearuses.

”Oh hi,” Bazsil says diplomatically in a polite tone in his very deep voice. ”I see you’re wearing collars...that means you might not be feral and actually friends to the wizard who lives here. We’re just here to speak with her and don’t wish any trouble. If there is a way to contact her? Or summon her? We’d like to use that?” Bazsil is non-threatening.

1d20 + 18 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 18 + 2 = 33 Diplomacy

”Hey Krowe, if this doesn’t work out, we’ll try to find a way around or by these guys. We have solutions, I’m sure...”

Shadow Lodge

Int 2, I can use the Diplomacy check to have them recognize the soothing tone. You'll need Handle Animal or wild empathy to fully influence/talk them down.

The owlbears stare at Bazsil but take no immediate action.


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan will, from a safe distance, try to placate them - at least long enough for the group to head inside.

"I'm not very good at this..." he cautions as he steps between the party and the creatures.

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor stares in shock at the creatures and their enormous size. "I don't think any of us are..." Bor thinks on what he can do against them without hurting them.

Not trained in Handle Animal.


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”Try offering some food maybe?” Krowe suggests, having just about no experience with normal beasts.

I think Bazsil offered heroism to Faolan? Will that give +2?

GM: so we’ve seen these owlbears before, or just ones that look like them?

Shadow Lodge

You've seen and fought owlbears before, not these owlbears but you know in general what they are.

Faolan isn't sure if his plan is a good one or not when the two headed beast leans forward on a giant paw and takes a huge sniff of the air. With a snort he turns around and moves back to his nest, the other two owlbears following. It seems you are free to enter.

You proceed through the doorway to the tower. A few simple trophies—a shredded Molthuni banner, a few monster skulls, and what appears to be a dented shield—hang from the walls of this otherwise bare, high-ceilinged room. A heavy double door stands to the west opposite the tower’s shattered front doors, while a smaller door leads north. Spiral stairs to the south lead up.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil moves up slowly, happy not to fight the owlbears.

”Owlbears, you say? Now that I have time to see them up close, they are closer to bear-owls, in my opinion,” he notes the relative proportions of both owl and bear. ”Yeah, they are definitely bear-owls, and everybody else is wrong. And also, I’m glad that they don’t fly silently at night to hunt for prey. That would be bad. Very bad.”

Just to be clear, it looks like someone smashed their way in, but left the owlbears alone?


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"I say we head up and try to find the wizard. Who knows what magical traps and such she's got lying around. Best not poke our noses into everything until we know the score." he suggests.

If the party agrees, he'll head up the staircase following his raised shield.

Shadow Lodge

The owlbears appear uninjured, whatever destroyed the gates did not touch them.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor follows in with his own shield raised. "Maybe the Legion was here already and set off some traps?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil leads the party to the smaller northern door first.

"Yes, Faolan," Bazsil agrees, following. "But if we are going to try for stealth, let us move unseen if we can."

Bazsil will cast Invisibility Sphere on the party.

1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33 Perception


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan nods as he's enveloped by invisibility. Careful to pace himself with the others, he heads up the stairs quietly, or at least as quietly as he can.

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 (plus invisibility)

Shadow Lodge

Reckon y'all have stated two different directions. You want the northern door with Bazsil or the stairs with Faolan?


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Meant to follow Faolan. Ignore Bazsil, he’s invisible and typing weirdly.

Bazsil grunts.

Shadow Lodge

The stairs lead up to another room at the top with a door in the north wall and a door in the east. The center of the tower is east of where you stand.


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan points to the east door and if he gets some nods, he'll carefully walk with the others to the door and listen to hear what may lie beyond.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30

He'll open the door if he doesn't hear anything. If he does hear something, he'll listen a moment and see if he can make out what's going on.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Baszil follows, waiting to not-see (because they are invisible) what Bor and Krowe do or have to say.

Slow playing to give them a chance to participate.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

While Faolan listens at the eastern door Bor splits off and listens at the northern door.

Perception: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (5) + 17 = 22

"Anything over there?" He whispers.


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe will detect magic, trying to keep the group from walling into magical traps.

Shadow Lodge

The north door yields a clanking sound, as if some heavy chains were being moved periodically. The eastern door holds no secrets you can discern from this side. Neither door detects as magic.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor whispers. "Over here." When everyone is ready he opens the door.


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan moves over to Bor and joins him in the doorway - ready to charge through as soon as Bor opens it.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil moves to support Bor, waiting for the door to be opened.

Shadow Lodge

The eastern half of this room sports a table crowded with alchemical implements, clay jars, glass vials, and arcane implements, while a large still takes up much of the floor. Notebooks and alchemical reference manuals fill a bookshelf to the south. A door rests in the eastern wall.

Moving through the lab you see a 7 foot tall metal being. It has four arms and a glowing ball filled with vapor where its head should be. It moves about the laboratory, mixing liquids and decanting vials. Whatever it is, it takes no notice of you as it goes about its work.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor pins his back against the wall and slowly slides to the door on the eastern wall. "Move slowly, so to not draw its attention."


Human | AC 14(22) FF 11(19) T 14(22)| HP 66/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe studies the construct, trying to recall if he’s heard of such a thing before.

Knowledge: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Knowledge Arcana 6 (+15)
Knowledge Engineering 2 (+11)
Knowledge Geography 1 (+10)
Knowledge Local 4 (+13)
Knowledge Nature 4 (+13)
Knowledge Planes 1 (+10)
Knowledge Religion 1 (+10)


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan is fascinated at the golem, but he follows Bor quietly to the other door.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

I do believe we are invisible still, yes? Per the invisibility sphere spell.

Bazsil doesn't say a thing, thinking that it might be good to ask the construct where the master of the tower might be, but also happy to go look for her/him himself.

Shadow Lodge

Krowe is able to identify the construct as such but the specific type and purpose of this one is beyond him. He notices a crystal attached to its chest and what appears to be a piece of wood inside, however the reason for it eludes him.

Through quiet whispering and no small amount of bumping you manage to crowd around the eastern door. You open it and peer into the next room. The shattered remains of three glass cylinders line the southeast wall of this large room. A thick layer of greasy, slippery-looking orange slime coats the floor. Hallways lead to the north and southwest, while a heavily barred double door is set in the wall to the east and a single door lies to the west.

You easily divine that the western door leads to the second floor landing.

Dark Archive

Male Human 9 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

I believe so Baszil, but Bor is being overly cautious.

Grabbing ahold of two wrists to stay in formation Bor whispers. Upstairs?"


AC 31 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 95/95 | F+10 R +10 W +10 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan nods without thinking and heads carefully to the stairs and begins to climb - shield held high as usual.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil follows quietly, still trying to keep the stealth going.

3,351 to 3,400 of 3,679 << first < prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.