Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


1,001 to 1,050 of 3,150 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

Wednesday holidays are the woooooorst.

Bazsil:

This appears to depict a young troglodyte being hatched, and careful inspection of the area shows that this is both a sleeping area and a hatching ground. You see no current eggs, denying you any Provision Points. The rocks appear to be heated around the fire and then placed near sleeping mats to keep the occupant warm.

With a more indepth search you find the following items in the room.

115 cp, 730 sp, 335 gp, 10 pp
14 amethysts (worth 25 gp each)
nine aquamarines (worth 30 gp each)
+1 buckler
two steadfast gutstones
belt made of interlocking jade plates (a hefty belt of mighty constitution +2).

It would take 20 days of effort to clear the fungus completely from the tunnels. That is either 1 person for 20 days or 20 people for 1 day.

Completing your search of this room and looting, you gingerly step past the expended spear trap and make your way to the cross road chamber again. You have two tunnels left to explore.


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Bazsil grunts at the carving, trying to explain things.

"I think it's a recipe on how to make trog eggs into food," Bazsil explains, looking around for eggs. "No eggs here, but if there were, we could follow those instructions on how to cook them and feed our troops. Or how we could warm ourselves with some rocks, but ain't anything really useful, sadly."

Bazsil will help collect all the goods, thinking that the caves could be a decent fallback spot if the party was inclined to do so.

"Lets go take the left path now?" Bazsil says, orienting Faolan to a place they have yet to be.

Bazsil offers the fancy belt to Faolan.


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Status:
HP: 36/37 | AC: 20 (f15/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 19
Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +3
Front Row
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB 3, Str +4 (flurry -2, power attack -1) Damage: Str +4 (power attack +2, shield bash +1)
Ranged: Attack: BAB 3, Dex +2 Damage: +0(+4)
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Faolan will take the belt from Bazsil, if no one else reaches for it. He puts it on, adjusts it a little, and worries the jade is too ostentatious...

"Yeah, so were they worshipping that dead thing?" he asks idly, not really concerned about the answer, just curious.

He waits a moment for the answer before proceeding left, shield at the ready.

Shadow Lodge

A dark, rippling pool covers much of this sloping cavern. Water drips from stalactites above and tumbles from fissures in the rock wall. An underwater garden of colorful algae and white fish fills the pool.

GM Rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 3
Bor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Bazsil: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Faolan: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Krowe: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Initiative:

Bazsil: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Faolan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Bor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Krowe: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Crabs?: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

As you enter the cavern all of you spot the gleam of chitin on the ceiling over the pool. Closer inspection reveals two 7 foot long crustaceans clinging to the ceiling.

Turn Tracker Surprise
Faolan
Bazsil
Bor
Crab
Krowe

K. Nature 12:

These are cave fishers, a subterranean predator that uses its sticky filament to pull prey to it.

Party is up in Surprise round. Map is updated. They are 60 feet away, over the water in the upper left corner.

Crab?:

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 22 (3d8+9)
Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
Immune mind-affecting effects
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+3)
Ranged filament +3 (drag)
Special Attacks pull (filament, 10 feet)
22/22 22/22

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

Bor's faith shields both his mind and body. "At least it isn't more of those dragonkin."

Cast Shield of Faith.

Status:

HP 29/29
AC 21 (23 w/ Prot from evil; 25 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used:
(1st)Lesser Confusion; CLWx3; Shield of Faith
(2nd) Mirror Image; Communal Prot from Evil x2
Vision of Madness 5/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 0/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Round Surprise, Init 8

Free: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 Know (Nature)
Move: Move away, drawing bow.
Stnd:

"Gah! Cave casters! Get back!"

Bazsil moves 20' back (looking for cover), drawing his bow.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+7+1+2[/dice] to hit; (song,+flank)
[ dice]1d10+6+1[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 25/25
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos. - 2 (Rage) = 14

Spells: 3/4 used (CLW*2, Ident*0, Vanish*0, LibCom*0)
Words: 9/9 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC. +1 dodge from Guarded Stance rage power.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: Surprise, Initiative: 12

Status:
HP: 36/37 | AC: 20 (f15/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 19
Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +3
Front Row
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB 3, Str +4 (flurry -2, power attack -1) Damage: Str +4 (power attack +2, shield bash +1)
Ranged: Attack: BAB 3, Dex +2 Damage: +0(+4)
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Faolan holds up his shield and positions himself between the archers and the enemy. ”They may come down, and if they do, they’ll deal with me. Fire away!” (move)

Shadow Lodge

The cave fishers scuttle closer.

Both double move towards you 40 feet, putting them 20 feet away and 10 feet up.

Turn Tracker Round 1
Faolan
Bazsil
Bor
Cave Fisher
Krowe

Faolan, Bazsil, and Bor may take Round 1 actions. Krowe may take his surprise round action.

Cave Fisher:

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 22 (3d8+9)
Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
Immune mind-affecting effects
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+3)
Ranged filament +3 (drag)
Special Attacks pull (filament, 10 feet)
22/22 22/22


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 1, Initiative: 12

Status:
HP: 36/37 | AC: 20 (f15/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 19
Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +3
Front Row
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB 3, Str +4 (flurry -2, power attack -1) Damage: Str +4 (power attack +2, shield bash +1)
Ranged: Attack: BAB 3, Dex +2 Damage: +0(+4)
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Faolan readies his shield to strike one of the creatures should it get too close.
Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 damage: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Round 1, Init 8

Free:
Move: Move behind Faolan.
Stnd: Fire arrow.

Bazsil draws an arrow and targets the left cave caster, hoping that all attacks will focus on that one.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 to hit;
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 piercing damage.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+7+1+2[/dice] to hit; (song,+flank)
[ dice]1d10+6+1[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 25/25
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos. - 2 (Rage) = 14

Spells: 3/4 used (CLW*2, Ident*0, Vanish*0, LibCom*0)
Words: 9/9 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC. +1 dodge from Guarded Stance rage power.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]


Human | AC 13(17) FF 10(14) T 13(17)| HP 63/63 | F +6 R +7 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +14 | Sense Motive +1

MA: none
SA: Shoot crossbow

Krowe raises his crossbow and fires at one of the fishers.

Heavy Crossbow: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

Bor steps up and swats the lead cave fisher away with his hand. His curse flows through his very touch and into the scuttling crab.

Vision of Madness Melee Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Vision of Madness- For 3 rounds. +1 to all skill checks and -1 modifier to all attack and saving throw rolls.

Status:

HP 29/29
AC 21 (23 w/ Prot from evil; 25 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used:
(1st)Lesser Confusion; CLWx3; Shield of Faith
(2nd) Mirror Image; Communal Prot from Evil x2
Vision of Madness 4/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 0/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

Krowe pierces one of the fishers while Bor attempts to inflict madness upon the other. The alien mind of the creature proves too simple to be confused and it claws at Bor. The skewered crustacean has a sticky lash at the ready until Faolan moves forward and smashes his shield into it. In return it attempts to claw him.

Fisher1@Bor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Fisher1@Bor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 221d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Fisher2@Faolan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 151d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Fisher2@Faolan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 211d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Turn Tracker Round 2
Faolan
Bazsil
Bor
Cave Fisher
Krowe

Faolan, Bazsil, and Bor may take Round 2 actions. Krowe may take his Round 1 action.

Cave Fisher:

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 22 (3d8+9)
Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
Immune mind-affecting effects
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+3)
Ranged filament +3 (drag)
Special Attacks pull (filament, 10 feet)
3/22 22/22


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Round 2, Init 8

Free: Drop bow.
Move: Draw sword while moving to help Bor.
Stnd: Chop.

Bazsil drops his bow and moves to help Bor with his sword, drawing on the move.

1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 2 = 11 to hit; (song,+flank)
1d10 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 slashing damage.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+7+1+2[/dice] to hit; (song,+flank)
[ dice]1d10+6+1[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 25/25
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos. - 2 (Rage) = 14

Spells: 3/4 used (CLW*2, Ident*0, Vanish*0, LibCom*0)
Words: 9/9 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC. +1 dodge from Guarded Stance rage power.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

Bor's shield knocks the crustacean's claws away as one gets dangerously close to his hand.

CI Cestus: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Confirm Crit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Crit Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Trapping the claw with his shield Bor brings his fist down into the shell cracking it open, exposing the juicy and delicious meat within.

Status:

HP 29/29
AC 21 (23 w/ Shield of Faith; 25 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used:
(1st)Lesser Confusion; CLWx3; Shield of Faith
(2nd) Mirror Image; Communal Prot from Evil x2
Vision of Madness 4/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 0/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Round: 2, Initiative: 12

Status:
HP: 31/37 | AC: 20 (f15/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 19
Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +3
Front Row
Opponent: Cave Fisher
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: Shield
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB 3, Str +4 (flurry -2, power attack -1) Damage: Str +4 (power attack +2, shield bash +1)
Ranged: Attack: BAB 3, Dex +2 Damage: +0(+4)
Martial Flexibility (move): 2/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Faolan takes a hit from the creatures and swings back, doing what he can to fell one.
Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9 (flank) damage: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Shield Bash (cold iron): 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 2 = 15 (flank) damage: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


Human | AC 13(17) FF 10(14) T 13(17)| HP 63/63 | F +6 R +7 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +14 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe methodically reloads his heavy crossbow.

Full round action.

Shadow Lodge

Faolan drops one of the fishers while the other takes a chitin cracking hit from Bor's cestus. Chittering at the death of its (friend/mate/hetero cave buddy?) the remaining fisher claws at Bor.

Fisher1@Bor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 151d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Fisher1@Bor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 221d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Turn Tracker Round 3
Faolan
Bazsil
Bor
Cave Fisher
Krowe

Faolan, Bazsil, and Bor may take Round 3 actions. Krowe may take his Round 2 action.

Cave Fisher:

DEFENSE
AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 natural)
hp 22 (3d8+9)
Fort +6, Ref +2, Will +1
Immune mind-affecting effects
OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., climb 20 ft.
Melee 2 claws +5 (1d4+3)
Ranged filament +3 (drag)
Special Attacks pull (filament, 10 feet)
14/22


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Round 3, Init 8

Free:
Move: Move into flank.
Stnd: Chop.

Bazsil moves into flank and chops with his long sword.

1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 2 = 24 to hit; (+flank)
1d10 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 slashing damage.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+7+1+2[/dice] to hit; (song,+flank)
[ dice]1d10+6+1[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 25/25
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos. - 2 (Rage) = 14

Spells: 3/4 used (CLW*2, Ident*0, Vanish*0, LibCom*0)
Words: 9/9 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC. +1 dodge from Guarded Stance rage power.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

With the pincer pinned Bor continues to punch the beast in the face.

CI Cestus: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Player Status:

HP 29/29
AC 21 (23 w/ Shield of Faith; 25 vs Goblinoids)
Spells Used:
(1st)Lesser Confusion; CLWx3; Shield of Faith
(2nd) Mirror Image; Communal Prot from Evil x2
Vision of Madness 4/8
Sudden Shift 7/8
CPE 0/2
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Shadow Lodge

Between Bazsil and Bor the final fisher falls to the fungus, its chitinous claws clacking closed in memoriam of many meals never met.

A search of the room shows the water to be 10 feet deep. The remains of three troglodytes—all killed by the cave fishers—lie at the bottom of the pool along with their javelins. Barely visible near the reptile folk lies the body of an unfortunate halfling wizard who no doubt lost her way in the woods and fled deep into the caverns here to escape the outraged troglodytes, or so you might surmise.


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Bazsil tries to catch the creature before it falls too far away, thinking the lobster-like creature might have some lobster-like meat.

"Hey hey...come back here..." Bazsil says, looking at the creature, then at Bor. "Do you guys think there is any good meat on this?"

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8 Survival

"This claw is edible, right?" Bazsil holds up a probably inedible appendage, looking to the rest.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

"Gotta taste like crab meat. Right?" He asks unsure at his own answer.

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Bor steps into the water and ducks below the surface. He grabs ahold of the halfling wizards body and drags him to the surface, tossing him out of the water. "See if he has anything on him."


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan helps Bor with the body, "As this may be a fresh water supply, we should haul out the trogs too."

He helps with the grisly task if the party agrees.

Survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

He'll stick to his rations and goat yogurt, not being sure what might be edible on a cave fisher.

Shadow Lodge

You aren't sure if cave fisher is edible but the water is definitely not fresh. It would appear the pool is fed by a stream from the next room and the bottom of the pool has various water plants growing. Moving the bodies out you see at the bottom of the pool what appears to be a steel coffer. You aren't sure of anything else that might be at the bottom, and it will require somebody to swim down and retrieve it.

***

Anybody who explores the next room will find the stench of death and old blood overwhelms the smell of troglodyte in this chamber. The floor slopes down to the north wall where a narrow underground stream flows past.

The sound of running water echoes off the low ceiling, and a burning torch near the stream sends rippling light patterns dancing off the wall. Racks against the walls hold the carcasses of forest creatures, some still draining their life’s blood on the ground, others mere skins left to dry.

This room contains 10 Provision Points of meat, still relatively fresh. The stream continues into the rock and is fresh from the source, upstream of the slaughter room.

***

Your explorations have proven almost complete and you move warily into the last room. Stone shelves have been cut into the walls of this room, and each shelf is heaped with dried mushrooms, baskets of herbs, root vegetables, and other fragrant foodstuffs. Empty baskets and cloth sacks lie in a pile in one corner.

There are another 10 Provision Points left in this room.


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan will swim down to retrieve the coffer, carefully strapping down his shield before he goes into the water.

Take 10 Swim: 10 + 7 = 17

Later, when he sees all the food, "Score! Most of this looks edible too. OK, I guess we should bring the group here to the caves. Once we get that smell out, I guess this isn't too bad..."


Human | AC 13(17) FF 10(14) T 13(17)| HP 63/63 | F +6 R +7 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +14 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe examines the wizard’s body and the area for magic auras, then supervises the dive for treasure, ready to summon aid if needed.

Shadow Lodge

Pulling up the iron coffer you find it filled with 120 gp, and a wand of mage armor (28 charges) made of steel and decorated with engravings of helms and breastplates. Krowe detects a faint magical aura in the pool as well and multiple directed dives finally reveal a lichen-encrusted skeleton wearing a belt made of fine gold links. The belt proves to be a belt of incredible dexterity +2.

You have completely cleared the caves and ruins at this point. Going back down to the forge room reveals that the air has completely cleared, and you are able to identify that 10 person days of labor would clear up the gas lines and vents for the forge to be reignited and workable again.

I have uploaded the maps of the Caves and Ruins.


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan dries himself off as best he can after the swim, after rinsing off in cleaner water first naturally. He'll ask for healing if anyone has any handy, but won't use any consumables (down 6).

"So do we want to get the group and bring them here? We've lots of provisions to move if we don't and, once cleaned of that fungus, this might make for a decent headquarters for now. Not sure if we have anyone that knows how to use it, but that forge could be useful if we do."

"Oh, and does anyone mind if I swap belts? I'm more interested in this gold one then the jade one I now wear." (If someone would rather have the Dex belt, I'll keep the Con belt, but let me know.)


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Bazsil helps sort the provisions, grinning at the success. "Now, that's a thought, Faolan," Bazsil considers. "We could also pack and stow the provisions here as a back up shelter in case our current camp gets overrun? Might be nice to have a back up location...just in case."

Bazsil looks at the potential working forge.

"But maybe, but maybe, this is a good spot too. If we can get this forge working, with fresh water, then all we need is a smith...and we'll be able to better arm ourselves."

Bazsil looks to Bor and Krowe to hear what they think.

As Baszil might be more ranged with the bow/gloves, he also would prefer the dex belt.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

Bor nods in agreement. "We are going to need more arms and armor for the villagers if we are to survive and strike back." He wipes his hand across the forge, smacking it. "This might give us an actual chance."


Human | AC 13(17) FF 10(14) T 13(17)| HP 63/63 | F +6 R +7 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +14 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe claims the wand and the handful of magic crossbow bolts from the loot found in the caves.

Noticing Faolan’s wound he considers using his magic to speed his healing, but holds off for the moment. So far the mercs have accepted the creatures his powers have summoned, but he’s not sure how they would feel about having those powers affect them personally.

”With some work I think this place would serve well to shelter the refugees. And I have a little experience with small forges used in jewelry crafting, and given time I think I could figure out a larger forge. Anyone see reason not to use this place?”


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

"I don't see a reason not to use this place, but we'll want to find a few back exits and whatnot in case the hobgobs arrive. If...if we can get secure here, then we might be able to start striking back at the town. Finally. That would be good," Baszil rumbles in a deep voice.

Bazsil walks back and forth, eventually taking a drink of the fresh water.

"Yeah. Yeah. Has water too. Ok...let's see about moving the camp here. We'll need to work to clean it up. A few days of down time might be nice. And we'll want to block that door to the Underworld too, unless we want to escape that way."

He looks at Faolon. "What do you think, Faolan?"

Bazsil puts on the belt of dexterity +2.


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan nods as Bazsil puts on the belt, "Makes more sense in your hands, sure."

Tearing his eyes off the belt, he says, "Well then it's settled. Let's go get the crew and move them in here, unless you want to spend the rest of the day sprucing it up a bit and resting. I'm fine either way - and the place does need work."

"That door, totally. Gotta block off that door unless it leads to escape, but it sounds like it leads to the underworld, and I doubt we'd find much there to help us."

Faolan is ready to head back and gather the troops.

Shadow Lodge

You exit the cave a few hours after you left. Bloody, scarred, and weary to your bones you take a moment to breath fresh air and readjust to the afternoon sun.

Faolan catches a hint of gray in the forest and turns in time to see a shaggy tail moving deeper into the undergrowth. It looked like a wolf? Nothing further moves in that direction and you hear no sound.

You carefully make your way back to the old hunting lodge, concealing your trail and occasionally pausing to watch behind you. As the last rays of sunlight penetrate the forest canopy you make your way into the clearing around the lodge. People have setup crude shelters for sleeping and supplies. The bleating of sheeps and goats from their pen and sent of a few fires let you know you have arrived, however temporarily, home.


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

I wonder if that's the mother we helped? he thinks of the wolf-tail.

Faolan is glad to be back, and though he knows the caves are better, he prefers the sun and wind when he can get it.

He greets the throng with a smile and hearty, "Hello! We're back! How fare you all?!" and listens to news of the camp over the last day.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

Bor feels nothing more than a tinge of sadness each time he returns to the camp. He had been on his own for several years now. Though he was drawn back to Phaendar over and over again, he had always had the option of leaving whenever he wanted.

Now...now he was trapped. Enclosed in by the hobgoblins, unable to leave. On top of that this incessant curse taunts him. Seeing the gates ahead triggers the brand on his body as it feels like a papercut and begins to trickle blood.

The peaceful scene before his eyes changes each time he blinks. Rays of sunshine turn into pillars of smoke and fire. The small shack lies in shambles as pieces of the villagers are scattered to every corner of the camp. Heads are placed unceremoniously on branches jammed into the ground. Their lifeless eyes follow him as whispers come from their mouths. "Why...why didn't you do something?" They croak.

He ignores it and enters. Something bad was coming...

With the next blink he returns to Faolan greeting everyone he just say killed. He pushes past to his own little corner. "I am going to go wash this crap off and get a quick nap. Anyone need help around here?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Bazsil smiles broadly when he returns to camp. After all, they were victorious (in a way).

"Yes, we have returned, with much good news!" Bazsil rejoices, his deep voice rumbling. "We will tell you about it at the campfire, we have much to discuss. The tale of the cave darters and lizards of stinky behinds!"

Bazsil will see that some of the provisions are brought out during the fire, so that others who want to hear of the day can do so with a full belly. He will tell tale of the cave, their findings, the various heroics of Bor, Faolan, and even Krowe's summonings...in efforts to boost the morale of the camp.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 Diplomacy

Shadow Lodge

Cheers greet the returning heroes and the refugees appear well, if tired from their week of labor. Although it is late most are still awake and gather to listen as Bazsil speaks. When the tale is done Aubrin speaks.

"You think this cave will hold us and be better protection? Sounds like it will be some work to move there but we've a few days of supplies stored. Any of you farmers know how to grow fungus?"

There are laughs and cheers at this. People seem to be in good spirits at this news, and the idea of a defensible and hidden base appeals to many.

"After this, we retake Phaendar?" Jet asks.


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17
Balodek wrote:
"After this, we retake Phaendar?" Jet asks.

Bazsil shrugs, he has no idea. "Maybe. Maybe we get that forge up and running, secure out site and then we'll have better options for some scouting, sabotage, and sneak attacks. But yeah...maybe." Bazsil looks to see if others have opinions.

"And yeah, it will be work, but also might be more secure...and the forge, the forge might be nice if we need more weapons, nails, tools, and the like."

After others have spoken, Bazsil, having said his piece and peace, readies for bed. In the morning, he will meet with Bor, Faolan, and Krowe to decide next steps.

"What now? We move camp, right?"

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

Bor sleeps through the night. His dreams restless, but don't seem to awaken him. In the morning he grabs a chunk of meat from the fire and eats, wiping his greasy hands on a plant as he passes.

"It is as good a time as any." Bor says. "We are going to need all hands to clean out that mold and water."


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Status:
HP: 34/37 | AC: 20 (f15/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 19
Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +3
Front Row
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: None
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB 3, Str +4 (flurry -2, power attack -1) Damage: Str +4 (power attack +2, shield bash +1)
Ranged: Attack: BAB 3, Dex +2 Damage: +0(+4)
Martial Flexibility (move): 4/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

Faolan chats with the others into the night - but not too late as they group has a busy day ahead.

The following morning, he re-wraps a few lingering minor wounds, and rejoins the group.

"Well, we need to pack up, and as we cannot reside in the caves right away, we'll need shelters again. So like last time, I think today we make ready (pack, prep shelters, gather the herd), and tomorrow we go to the cave and spend the rest of the day setting up shelters and the camp."

"The day after, we'll start foraging and clean. See where we end up after that. Those provisions will be handy for the move."


Human | AC 13(17) FF 10(14) T 13(17)| HP 63/63 | F +6 R +7 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +14 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe makes time the evening of their return to check in wish the refugees, seeing how those who were sick are faring after the move to a place. He also asks if any of the refugees have noticed any strange animals, like wolves and owls, wandering near the camp. Before sleep he walks the perimeter of the camp, looking for anything odd himself.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Survival (signs of animals): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

In the morning he listens to Faolan and nods agreement. ”A day to pack, but I suggest we keep the shepherds out collecting sheep.”

Changing subjects, he addresses the group. ”Someone, or something, has been keeping watch over us on the forest. Owls delivering useful gifts, wolves lurking close by. We should try to contact whoever is behind these strange things.”

***

After breakfast, Krowe seeks out the dwarf Kinning and informs her of the forge found in the caves, and tries to gage her interest in working or training a couple apprentices in the craft of smithing. ”Your own smithy may be held by the Legion at the moment, but I hope that we could use this one to make tools and weapons to fight back. I would welcome to the opportunity to learn the art myself.”

Any sort of skill checks available to PCs to aid the camp?


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17
Faolan Baran wrote:

"Well, we need to pack up, and as we cannot reside in the caves right away, we'll need shelters again. So like last time, I think today we make ready (pack, prep shelters, gather the herd), and tomorrow we go to the cave and spend the rest of the day setting up shelters and the camp."

"The day after, we'll start foraging and clean. See where we end up after that. Those provisions will be handy for the move."

Bazsil largely agrees with this line of thinking. He does what he can to help, lifting both supplies, but also trying to keep people's spirits up. He will talk and laugh and enjoy the moment, despite the circumstances and speak of future days when the group has had victories over the hobgobs.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26 Diplomacy - boost morale.

Over the two days, in addition to helping move and tote things around, Bazsil will scribe a pair of scrolls, adding to the group's healing supplies. Scribe another scroll of 8x CLW. -100 gp. Faolan, track to party loot sheet?

Healing Supplies:

Wand of CLW charges: 17/21 left
Scroll: 1*CLW, 1*Identify
Scroll: 4*CLW
1 potion of CLW
2 potions of CMW

Then if these craftings happen: +8 CLWs.

Shadow Lodge

You move among the group, bolstering spirits and helping with packs as you can. Kinning nods grimly at Krowe's description of the place.

"We can get it cleaned up and working, but what'm I getting paid for it that's what I want to know."

Her tone of voice and demeanor indicates she understands the basics of lodging for work but you do remember she was quite upset at her forge being looted for supplies during the mad rush to escape last week.

Moving into the caves is quick and you manage to avoid all encounters by traveling carefully. Aubrin does not hold back her opinion.

"Whew, you boys sure found a stinky place to hide. They ain't gonna track us by sent that's for sure."

PCs can make any of the same rolls at NPCs to contribute in whichever area they prefer.


AC 28 Flat 20 Touch 15 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +7 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Status:
HP: 37/37 | AC: 20 (f15/t12) (not included: +2 dodge vs goblinoids) | CMD 19
Fort +5, Reflex +5, Will +3
Front Row
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: None
Equipped: None
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Bolts: 20/20
Melee: Attack: BAB 3, Str +4 (flurry -2, power attack -1) Damage: Str +4 (power attack +2, shield bash +1)
Ranged: Attack: BAB 3, Dex +2 Damage: +0(+4)
Martial Flexibility (move): 4/4
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth): 1/1

-100gp group funds for healing

Faolan isn’t much good at finding food, but he’ll help folks pack, guard along the trail, and generally enjoy the weather as they travel to their new, still temporary, home. He’s very pleased when they arrive that no one else has moved in as yet.

They walk a little further, and he suggest, ”Let’s also improve our smiths morale. We have a small bag of gold dust floating ‘round. Let’s give it to her.” The bag is worth 100gp, and Faolan feels it will placate her and smooth her ruffled feathers for her losses - at least a little while.

On the way, he suggests the party stick around a few days and do what they can to help before scouting the town. ”We need to see what is going on there and I don’t see what else we can do. But, we need to get stable here, and that means lots of clean up, and we need to maintain some food reserves in case we need to move again. So let’s stay and help before pushing on to town.”

I’ve planned out the crew, including the party, to clean the caves in four days and the forge in five days, and still do some foraging all with the party’s aid. He suggests swapping out the crews daily so no one has to clean fungus two days in a row. The two who are sick, should start with Foraging/Hunting if they feel up to it.

"Uh, yeah, so now that we're all cleaned up, let's head out and scout the town tomorrow. I'm not very stealthy, but I can hang back a bit so as not to be in the way."

I've set a camp rotation for while we're gone that includes Kining at the forge, with one of the guards as an assistant and starts our alchemist setting up a lab of some kind if we have any supplies for them...

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 81/81 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +4; W+12 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +15; SM +5

The next three days pass by in a flurry of activity as Bor keeps his mind straight and focused with packing, loading and helping the young and elderly move.

The path to the cave is a bit harder and longer with all of the villagers and their equipment. It takes a whole 2 days to pack and make it to the caves. Everyone looks tired and spent, but that doesn't stop them from cleaning out the fungus and getting the forge fired up.

"Yea the dust should work out alright. Maybe she can make something from it."

Faolan wrote:
"Uh, yeah, so now that we're all cleaned up, let's head out and scout the town tomorrow. I'm not very stealthy, but I can hang back a bit so as not to be in the way."

"Aye, neither am I." He taps his armor. "But, as long as we are far enough from the caves maybe we don't have to be. Give the Hobgoblins something to fear again."


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Bazsil does as much work as his scrollwork will allow him. He is not used to writing so much and will stop often to shake out his aching hand. It’s a dull process that Bazsil finds boring as heck when he could be out hunting, trapping, or moving stuff to the caves. He thinks, rightly or wrongly, that these healing scrolls will come in handy in the fights to come.

And since there will be lots of fighting, he’s doing his best to produce lots of scrolls.

When he is not working, he will continue to try to keep spirits up, reminding people of the noblilty and justness of their cause and how good it’s going to feel to kill the hobgoblins and drive them out.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22 Diplomacy

Shadow Lodge

After days of backbreaking labor your new cave home is setup. People are tired and spend their nights sleeping, but they are happy and finally feel safe with solid walls around them. You spend another day replenishing supplies and stocking the larders, crafting hammocks and beds while clearing ventilation shafts and posting a guard at the cave entrance and underground passage.

One final sheep is found, but Kiaphas reports this is most likely the final one he'll be able to find.

"Reckon after almost two weeks that's the last of them what survived. Miracle this one made it all the way here, sheep being not so bright and all."

Lirosa and Taidel have not returned from their scouting mission and while you are beginning to worry it is from another direction that something new is found. Felix reports noise coming from the dark passage, summoning you in time to hear a cry from the darkness.

Undercommon:

"Ho the camp!"


Half Elf Horn Dude 8 AC 20/17/14 / HP66 / F +8 R +6 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +13/ Sense Motive +17/Diplo +17

Bazsil, upon hearing the need for back up, grabs his sword and moves into a defensive position only after he is sure that Faolan and Bor are also on the way. Krowe? Maybe that old bird will come or not.

He hides to the side of the dark passage, waiting to see what others are going to do. His blade is ready, as is his voice. He is not likely to trust anything coming up from the Underdark.

From the look on Bazsil’s face, it’s clear he doesn’t recognize the langauge of the voice.

1,001 to 1,050 of 3,150 << first < prev | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.