Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


6,551 to 6,600 of 7,356 << first < prev | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | next > last >>

Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil will take an amulet of NA +3, a ring of protection +3, a cloak of resistance +3, the belt of physical might +4, & the ring of evasion...unless someone else wants all that and whatnot.

Bazsil sees what kind of magic gear he can upgrade with.

Thanks for the treasure sheet, Faolan.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Claiming
Ring of Protection +3 to bring AC to 29
Vampiric Gloves

Shadow Lodge

Once level ups and loot is complete we'll advance. The story is a little open right now, you have access to teleportation and planar travel, you could go shopping anywhere you liked at this point. The setup for book 6 has a flexible time schedule, keeping in mind your ultimate goal of stopping the Ironfang.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

"Before we proceed, I have things that need done magic wise to my shield and circlet. Can we go somewhere to get that done, and done quickly? Then I'll be ready, hopefully, for anything!"

Faolan dreams of flying all the time, and soon, oh so very soon, it will be a reality!

Last check on the treasure list. Some really good things on there in the to sell column.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

"If we rest for the day I can get us back to the city in the morning." Bor thinks on the delicate process.

Bor can shift spells around with rest to Cast Plane Shift and then use his Word of Recall to get us back to the City.


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil continues to rest up, and work on cementing their victories in his Edda. He will learn what he can from the fae, and be ready to leave when others are.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Faolan keeps watch when it's his turn, but otherwise he enjoys the rest. It's been a long run, so he's happy for the break.

"That sounds great Bor, well done. That's just great. Zip, like that. Cool." Faolan is happy not to have to walk the whole way back.

Shadow Lodge

Once we hear from Krowe on the loot I'll push us forward. For now I assume you're teleporting to Longshadow after resting one day in the Court.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human | AC 17(22) FF 14(18) T 17(21)| HP 40/194 | F +11 R +11 W +14 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +23 | Sense Motive +1

After a well deserved rest Krowe goes through the pile of magic they’ve collected. When Bor suggests returning to Longshadow via a recall spell he lets it be known that his teleport spell could take them elsewhere should they need a bigger city with more resources.

If we have a little downtime Krowe could also finish more item crafting for folks.

Krowe claims:
Amulet of natural armor +4
Belt of might constitution +6
Grinding bracers of armor +4


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Faolan spends quite a while going from shop to shop, and probably town to town, emptying out the rather enormous bag of holding. Then he digs around his haversack and empties that too. Then all the stuff lashed on the pack, and the sack he’s carrying. It’s been a while since we were able to sell anything…

Party Divvy!
Bor receives 154,958gp. The rest of us get 80,671gp each. Also two new infernal healing wands.

This brings Bor’s wealth by level in line with the rest of us. We’re all now pretty close together except Krowe, but I’m fine with that.

Faolan has two requests then, both improving upon what he already has. First he wants to improve his Headband of Aerial Agility (wisdom) to +6 (+39k). Then he wants to add Determination (+30k) and Impervious (+11k) to his shield.

So, by the book, we’re going to need to visit multiple towns to sell all our gear (easy enough), and at least 21 days downtime (harder) to finish Faolan’s upgrades. I know in my campaigns I more and more hand wave this stuff otherwise we can get bogged down in it, or deny the benefits of high level magic items to high level players.

If we stick strictly to the rules, Faolan will do something other than the headband for time’s sake. He doesn’t want to give the enemy too much time. He will do determination on his shield though (15 days) and do impervious another time.


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil grunts, thinking about healing that might be needed.

"I'll buy s'more wands, just to be sure. Never can have enough, the way you both get hit," Bazsil notes on his shopping list.


Human | AC 17(22) FF 14(18) T 17(21)| HP 40/194 | F +11 R +11 W +14 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +23 | Sense Motive +1

With each bag and sack emptied Krowe realizes the wealth the group has attained is more than he needs. ”If anyone finds themselves short of funds, let me know.”

I’ll do a little shopping, but don’t need much.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

We played by the buy/sell rules when necessary to convey the idea of hardscrabble underdogs fighting back with limited resources. You're still underdogs but the stakes are different. Access to teleport means you can travel to major cities essentially at will. It's not enough to bring in troops or supplies to change the war, it is enough to equip yourselves for what's coming.

You return to Longshadow and look for Mayor Thom Crawbert. You see the town is more heavily fortified than before, the walls and gates have been reinforced and every building is a miniature fortress. You begin to wonder how long you've been gone, perhaps the Darkblight warped time as well as space. You recognize some of the townsfolk you saved in the battle and walking towards the mayor's house you see groups of soldiers and supply wagons.

Recognizing fellow mercenaries, for such you were back when Krowe first met you, you can't help but feel old. Your gear is more worn now, your battles more numerous, and your scars deeper. These men and women have faced the Ironfang and earned their money, but still you wonder if they could do as you have.

When you are escorted past armed guards to see the Mayor he looks up at you with fear, then relief. "I didn't dare dream you were still alive. You've been gone many months, I thought we had sent you to your deaths!" He breaks down a little and the stress he's been under is apparent.

He fills a glass with water and takes a moment to compose himself. "Right then, no doubt you've questions. The Ironfang don't bother much with us right now. We've got the Fangwood and the river, plus we've been able to hire mercenaries and bring in troops from units crushed by the Ironfang during their expansion. Don't misunderstand, they could take us whenever they wanted but for now they've focused south of the Marideth."

He points to Kraggodan. "A few weeks ago the dwarves opened their gates and let the Molthuni inside, then immediately closed them in the face of an Ironfang force that came spewing out of a black obelisk. They traded one siege for another, but I've no idea why they allowed the Molthuni inside instead of letting them be crushed. The Legion also pushed into Molthune itself. We don't know where they will strike next, for now we're on the defensive."

Thom takes another drink and looks you over. "Take some time, recover, then tell me what happened while you were gone."

At this point you have the opportunity to craft, buy/sell items, and generally prepare. You will then attempt to stop an army that has carved large swathes of territory out of two nations. Remember to level to 16.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Faolan waits. And waits. And waits some more. For weeks he’s without his shield and headband, relegated to the earth and his backup shield. He paces the city. He wanders aimlessly. He is lost.

He gets his headband back first, and he very nearly squeals with delight. On putting it on, he flies, and then he flies some more. After 8 minutes, he’s still flying. Flying high! ”Nine minutes!” he shouts as he realizes how limiting that 8 minutes had been. That night he tries fly/sleeping, but wakes up nestled on the bed he wisely placed below him. Just as well.

The next day his shield returns - impervious to future harm. It’s the pinnacle of its abilities to Faolan’s thinking. Can’t keep beating it against impossible beings if you’re going to dent it every time. Can’t have that. Oh, and the determination is nice too, though he doesn’t test that as yet.

Once he has his items though, long anticipated, he starts to wonder what’s next.

”So is it time to take the fight to them? I mean, we’re top notch in a skirmish, but the bodies will pile too high to see against an army. How do we do that?”


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil will listen to the Mayor’s woes, trying to see how this story might fit within in his Edda. He will ask questions of the Mayor, and when the Mayor is busying sobbing, he will move out amongst the populace to get their stories and hear their tales. He would know all of them, given time, and will take them in while he can.

”Do we have any maps of Marideth? Or something that will show what is happening in the field?” Bazsil will ask the Mayor, trying to find a visual representation. ”I feel like we’ve been gone for months, and wish to remind myself of what is out there.”

Shadow Lodge

He rolls out a map and points to various parts. "The Marideth, as you know, is the river that runs from Longshadow to Phaendar. The Ironfang Legion have long since repaired the bridge you destroyed, but the forest beyond still stymies them. If you have restored the fey, even if they are but a shadow of their former glory, it will further strengthen our position."

Safe to assume you wouldn't know exactly what the southern border looks like but you've reports that give you an idea.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

"They fey will offer a little opposition at least. The Queen has been restored to her throne." Bor explains wy they were gone for several months now. "Where are we needed Mayor?"


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

"We could cross the river readily enough with just the group of us. Maybe attack the northern bits and see how entrenched they are."

Faolan is just pointing randomly at the map having no head for strategy or large scale tactics like this. But he's trying, he really is.

He listens to what the mayor has to say about need. He seems a smart fellow, and he's been here a while now likely studying this map for the months they'd been gone. And he doesn't want to lose the one large city left in the region. Don't want to risk that.


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil crosses his arms, trying to think of a good plan.

”What if we were to build a large wooden otyugh…” he begins a thought, and then lets it trail off. ”Maybe we should link up with the dwarves? Having them back is surely a boon.”

Shadow Lodge

Crawbert nods. "We'll need you many places, but for now we don't know where to strike. We have this strange stone you've found, but no idea how to use it. I suggest for now you explore, harry, and prepare. I will begin to drawn our allies together. Perhaps we can gather enough information to end this, but without the troops it won't matter. This will take some time to set up, so do as you must for now."

You know from the map and scout reports that it would be impossible to meaningfully link up with the dwarves. The overland routes are controlled by the Legion and you know of no safe tunnels. You could return to your cavern in the Fangwood and hope to follow the underground trade route back, but there is no guarantee of how long that might take.

For now, you enact your plans and strike at the Legion where you can. You rekindle the memory of the Ghosts of Phaendar in the minds of your foes and allies alike.

You have learned via remote communication with Karburtin the nature of the artifact you received from Gendowyn. The Legion is no longer able to open portals from this side. Several of the obelisks are collapsed and the Legion forces have withdrawn to several strongholds to regroup. Without the ability to strike and fade away their advance is halted.

After several months of crafting, scouting, harrying, and fighting you learn that Mayor Crawbert has set up a meeting at Longshadow to plan your final assault.

Interlude is drawing to a close, make all final purchases and leveling plans now.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Status:
HP: 183/183 | AC: 36 (f20/t20) | CMD 43
Fort +18, Reflex +18, Will +17
Front Row
Opponent: None
- - -
Conditions: Flying
Equipped: None
Shield Melee: Attack: BAB 16/11/6/1, Str +7, Focus +2, Magic +5, (flurry -2) Damage: Str +7, Bash +1, Magic +5, Specialization +4 (crit: 20)
Shield Ranged: Attack: BAB 16/11/6/1, Dex +2, Focus +2, Magic +5 (flurry -2) Range: 20’, -1 per increment
Shield DR: magic, cold iron, silver, alignment, adamantine
Silver Blanch, Cold Iron Arrows: 12/12; Ghost Salt, Cold Iron Arrows 8/8
Champion Defense (Fort save DC damage dealt to take half damage >0): 1/1
Improved Iron Will (re-roll will save): 1/1
Martial Flexibility (1x immediate, 3x swift): 11/11
Knockout (DC 25, 1d6r): 3/3
Shield Bearer (free, adjacent ally +2 AC (trait)): 1/1
Ironfang Survivor (free, roll twice vs goblinoid (intimidate, sense motive, stealth)): 1/1
Cap (re-roll failed mind-affecting effect): 1/1
Shield (daylight: 1/1, 60m, 60’r) (determination: 1/1, 5d8+10 >0)
- - -

Faolan is eternally flying these days, though he keeps close to the ground most of the time to avoid shouting. He has his shield ready the way he wants it, and feels there’s nothing more to learn - at least for now.

It’s time for action.

Faolan is ready.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Bor has hobgoblin marks stenciled across his shield, armor, and weapons to show the amount of kills their team has in this war. "Shall we head out one more time?"

Ready as well.

Shadow Lodge

After several weeks of offensives, you return to Longshadow to find Mayor Crawbert in his command center with a messenger. He hands you a letter and waits while you read it.

Greetings to you, Defenders of the West, Conquerors of Kosseruk, Champions of the Chernasardo,

My messengers and soldiers have had great difficulty breaking through the Ironfang Legion’s lines to reach you for comment or support, but now that the hobgoblins stir and reposition their forces, it is clear you have struck yet another blow against them.

The people of Nirmathas are proud and brave, but also fractious and fiercely independent. They chafe under command as surely as they would in hobgoblin chains. They need more than an elected officer to unite them against the forward march of the Ironfang Legion: they need legends, and yours are the legends being told around soldiers’ campfires these days. More practically, your forces have been at war with the Ironfang Legion longer than anyone else’s, and you have won more victories against them than anyone else. I would like to meet with you and, if you indeed measure up to your legends, offer you command of the Nirmathi forces until the Legion is turned back or destroyed. I have other allies offering aid as well—the financier Santila Savros and a representative of the Knights of Ozem, Daq Sontine—who will likewise aid the war effort should you convince them. Name a time and a place, and I will arrange for this summit.

Weslen Gavirk,
Forest Marshal of Nirmathas

Mayor Crawbert nods as you finish. "It makes sense that he would come to you. The foundries of Longshadow, the Chernasardo Rangers, the fey, you have already made many powerful allies. Should you be given command of the overall forces we'll finally have the resources to smash the Legion forever. If you agree, I'll set up the meeting."

Assuming you do so, he sets to work. More weeks pass as representatives travel to Longshadow.

At this point several power leaders will gather and you will need to work to gain their trust and pledges of alliance. We'll roleplay some events and interactions, but won't go through the tedium of an actual multi-day multi-nation negotiation.

Mechanical Rules for Summit:

Each day during the war council, each PC can select one NPC in attendance to influence by attempting an influence check, as long as that PC has interacted with that NPC during that day. As an influence check, a PC can attempt a Bluff check (to feign agreement) or a Diplomacy check (to win the NPC over). Each NPC also has specific
skill checks, mentioned in the Influence Checks entry of the NPC’s social stat block, that can be used to win the NPC over. Each day, in addition to the influence check, each PC can attempt a DC 20 Sense Motive check to identify one of these specialized influence skills.

An NPC can be successfully influenced only once each day, though multiple PCs can work together, using their checks to aid one another to improve their chances of winning an ally to their cause. This adventure assumes that the PCs are trying to gain allies for the Nirmathi war effort, so bullying NPCs through Intimidation is generally inappropriate.

Each NPC has a social stat block that details the NPC’s basic race and class information, background and personality, goal in attending the summit, and interests. In addition, the social stat block indicates the NPC’s influence check DCs and the number of times that NPC must be successfully influenced before the NPC formally aligns with the PCs and grants them a useful benefit in their battle against the Ironfang Legion. A PC earns an additional success for every 5 by which the result of her influence check exceeds the listed DC.

The PCs can also gain advantages over the targets of their influence checks by playing to the NPCs’ interests. The PCs can discover these passions by succeeding at a discovery check, with the skill specific to each character listed in the Interests entry of the social stat block. A PC can forgo an influence check on any given day to instead attempt a check with the listed interest skills to notice the NPC’s particular interests in a subject or approach. If successful, the PCs learn the NPC’s passions, granting all PCs a +4 competence bonus on future influence checks against that target, so long as they incorporate that NPC’s predilections into their negotiations.

Will post the introduction to the summit and NPCs later today.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

"Well s!#& on me." Faolan lets slip as he reads the letter.

He looks up in some trepidation to the others, "I'm not, er, really good with people. I seem to say one thing and they hear another, but I'm real good at listening. I can tell you what they're thinking and feeling often as not."

I've got the sense motive check made automatically, so I'll bounce around and do that, while you guys work over the folks I've identified. Dunno what we'll do on the first round though, maybe everyone sense motives a different person the first round to give us a pool to start with?


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil whistles as he (re)reads the letter, just to make sure he understood it correctly.

"Yeah, s$$& on all of us, Faolan. S$$& on all of us. Wasn't expecting this, but we can use it. We can make it happen. Not sure it's the right idea, but, yeah, we can see what it would take to make it work," Bazsil rumbles in his deep rumbling voice.

Bazsil turns to the Mayor, after looking the rest of the party in their eyes.

"Yeah, we'll meet with them. I can't promise we'll do anything but we can do. That's all I can promise, and it's all we've done since *they* started this war. Yeah, bring them in. We'll talk."

Yeah, let's see what happens. I'm sure nothing will go wrong with putting Bor in charge of the resistance forces.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Bor gets incredibly nervous. "I'm not really great with people either Faolan." He taps his forehead. "They tend to think I can be a bit crazy at times due to this cursed mark. In the end we need to remind them that Legends are just people."

Shadow Lodge

The first guest to arrive is Weslen Gavirk. He's a quiet man with quick brown eyes who seems most comfortable watching. He has a long spiked goatee and many scars from combat on his face. His brown hair is going gray, gathered in a ponytail and kept out of the way of his bow. His leathers are well worn and he is clearly an experienced ranger, used to leading Nirmathi hit and run tactics. He clasps your arms in a warrior greeting.

"The legendary Ghosts of Phaendar. Thank you for agreeing to this meeting. Let us see if you are everything the legends claim you are."

You sense that he is skeptical of your accomplishments, though he cannot deny that he stands in one of the last free cities in Nirmathis.

Three others have arrived with him and he turns to introduce them.

"This is Sir Daq Sontine, Knight of Ozem from Lastwall."

Sir Daq is a boisterous human man, paladin of Iomedae and all that implies.

"Santila Savros, our potential financier."

Santila is an older human woman, white haired and ornately dressed.

"Finally here with me, Obsik Shalehammer, representative of Kraggodan."

Obsik is a thickset dwarf who bows profusely to you, fawning.

You engage in small talk as the meeting room is being set up for tomorrow. There is an unexpected disturbance as an atomie arrives, and you recognize Gossamer from your rescue of Gwendowyn. The inscrutable fey is an unexpected addition to the group and plans are scrambled to accommodate her.

The group is small talking now, you won't have the opportunity to influence them. You can each make a DC 20 Perception check to learn of one NPCs interest or influence check. The check itself is made later to way that NPC to your side, so learning what skill you'll need to roll will help position the correct party member to work on them.


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Perception or Sense Motive for influence? I’ll give you both, but I think you said SM above and that makes more sense.

Bazsil takes his time to survey the room and pick someone to hobnob about hobgobs with. 1=Weslen, 2=Daq, 3=Santila, 4=Obsik. 1d4 ⇒ 1

Bazsil moves up to Weslen, taking stock of the man, and offers a hand and a warm smile. His voice rumbles deeply as he tries to get to know the man.

1d20 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 20 + 2 = 31 Peception
1d20 + 27 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 27 + 2 = 33 Sense Motive

”I’m glad you’re here. We could use thinkers like you.”

Shadow Lodge

It's written in two different blocks, I assume Sense Motive when you're directly speaking to them and Perception as you are eavesdropping during the general conversation? Not clear tbh and will accept either.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Bor walks slowly around the room, grabbing a drink and small snack whenever he can as he listens in on the conversation with Sir Daq.

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (2) + 21 = 23


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Faolan looks over at Krowe, as nervous in these situations as he. He decides to plunge into the breech and chat with the financier. He guesses her ornate dress reflects a desire to be formal so I walks up firmly and bows, ”Ma’am, we’re glad you’re here. Honored even. Thank you.”

He’ll then try what small talk he can to learn something about her - hopefully without looking too much the fool!

Perception: 1d20 + 29 ⇒ (10) + 29 = 39


Human | AC 17(22) FF 14(18) T 17(21)| HP 40/194 | F +11 R +11 W +14 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +23 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe has been all business since coming back from the Fangwood. He has slept little, spending waking hours studying his spellbook and imbuing magic into powerful items. Dark circles shadow his eyes as he takes position behind the mercs.

Krowe had eyes enough to see some truths, and perhaps tip the scales of negotiations, and so he stood back for the moment, observing. There was a time he was forced to persuade and calm the refugees of the war, holding them together with desperate words. More and more that had fallen to Baszil, his gift with words inspired and powerful to those that heard them. Faolan seemed to have a supernatural gift of his own in reading people, and Bor, though he struggled with social situations, seemed quite insightful as well. Krowe counted himself lucky that they hadn’t ever thought to turn their full intentions on him, for he thought surely they would see through his confidence, and glimpse the coward he was.

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18

Shadow Lodge

Weslen Influence:

Influence Checks Diplomacy DC 25; Bluff or Survival DC 30
Successes Needed 3

Sir Daq Influence:

Influence Checks Profession (soldier) DC 20; Diplomacy or
Knowledge (religion) DC 30; Bluff DC 35
Successes Needed 3

Santila Influence:

Influence Checks Profession (merchant) DC 25;
Appraise or Bluff DC 30; Diplomacy DC 35
Successes Needed 3

The night of introductions ends with each guest prepared for the council tomorrow. That morning you each arrive fresh and ready for action, and readiness that is soon to be tested beyond any reasonable limit.

Weslen Gavirk kicks things off. "Esteemed guests, we are gathered here to prosecute an end to this aggression by the Ironfang Legion. They have taken countless territory from Nirmathis, besieged Kraggodan, and killed many of the good people who live in this area. Before us are the legendary Ghosts of Phaendar, 4 brave souls who stood against the Ironfang advance. We are here in Longshadow only because they were able to organize the defenses and assist Mayor Crawbert in defending his city. If not for that, we would no doubt be handing the capital over to General Azaersi already."

Santila seems less than impressed by your resume. "That's all well and good Gavirk, do you propose we throw words at the hobgoblins? Maybe you are willing to spend your militias lives cheaply, but my weapons and mercenaries are rather more expensive."

"Well do we know of your arms dealing, to all sides in this conflict madam Savros. I admit that my cause is holy but my reasons for being here are far more practical. Lastwall cannot afford a nation of expansionist hobgoblins at its back." Sir Daq stands during this address.

The rest of the day is spent hammering out terms and what each person can bring to the table for resources. This is your opportunity to either influence a council member or learn what their influence or interest traits are.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

As Faolan cannot effect any of the folks they know so far, he'll concentrate on learning more about the others, starting with the dwarf.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (9) + 24 = 33

"So my good dwarf, I hope things are well you're way. Or at least better than here!" he grins and puts out his hand to shake and get to know the man.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Survival (Weslen): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

"We have been little more than Lucky I am afraid."Bor looks Weston in the eyes. "Though the next may not be as lucky. The Hobgoblins will grow bolder and bolder and your Nations may be next."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

@Weslen. Is it just one check per yahoo or can we do multiple? Or can one roll apply to many?

Bazsil does not blush at the kind words from Weslen, but does break out in a big smile.

"You've got that right. We've socked the hobgobs in places they didn't know they were tender," he agrees in his deep rumbling voice, building on his memory and feel for story. "We've kilt a ton, but a lot of that was just the right place at the wrong time. But I figure we still have a lot of fight left and we intend to take it to the hobgobs again and again until they learn."

1d20 + 28 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 28 + 2 = 50 Diplomacy

Shadow Lodge

One check per NPC, though you can assist other PCs. Each PC can sway no more than one NPC per day of the summit.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Oh apologies, I though it was one check for each of us. Definitely scratch mine then. Bor wouldn't have even tried.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

We can each take someone different though (I think?), and should if there's a chance of success. Krowe? Where are you?

Shadow Lodge

Yup, you can influence 4 unique NPCs per day or group up on one. I'll give Krowe a little longer then push forward.


Human | AC 17(22) FF 14(18) T 17(21)| HP 40/194 | F +11 R +11 W +14 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +23 | Sense Motive +1

@Weslen

”You give us a lot of credit.” Krowe nods to Weslen after his generous introduction. ”Without the brave people of this land we would have nothing to fight for. Let us hope Santila and Sir Daq see that they are worth adding their efforts to the cause.”

Separate individual Diplomacy check for Weslen.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

Can we use long duration spells like heroism in these situations?

Also, Krowe isn’t a merchant, but ran a business as a jeweler and has some skill in craft jewelry. Any chance he could use that instead of profession merchant with Santila?

Shadow Lodge

You move through the affairs of the council with as much patience as you can muster. It's not the halls of Kraggodan at least, you have a clear goal and understand that anything accomplished here will make your attack on the Ironfang easier.

Weslen is swayed by all of your efforts, and does seem to be closer to believing you.

That's 1 success for Weslen, 2 remain before he is fully influenced to assist.

I'll allow Craft Jewelry on Santial, she's an arms dealer and would understand well crafted gems for light transport and smuggling.

Obsik Shalehammer:

Diplomacy, or Knowledge (engineering) DC 25
One success required

Obsik is entirely willing to spend his time talking to Faolan. "Oh yes, it is much better here. Once this has concluded we can provide a great deal of aid to your attacks. Siege weapons, troops, the forges of Kraggodan. Anything needed to push the war to completion!"

At the conclusion of Day 1 you now understand what each person can bring to the table if swayed to provide support.

Weslen will organize his militias to conduct raids on the Ironfang and distract them from you true mission.
Gossamer will have Gendowyn dispatch dryads and satyrs to harry the Ironfang messengers and scouts.
Santila will offer her private army to Nirmathas to defend key holdings.
Sir Daq will lead his army of mounted knights in attacks against the Ironfang.
Obsik Shalehammer you have above.

Each of these could have additional story benefits later, or simply pull reinforcements away from your strike.

Day 2 begins early and will a dull recap of yesterday's events and discussions. As you are about to break for lunch, a commotion is heard at the door. "Stop! You can't go in there!"

The council doors burst open to reveal a small troop of battered Molthuni soldiers.

DC 20 Knowledge (nobility or geography):

You recognizes their livery as belonging to Molthune’s Mindspin Province, which borders Nirmathas along the Nesmian Plains; troops from there frequently invade the lightly defended south.

Tensions begin to rise and it's clear a confrontation, brawl, or possibly even a donnybrook is about to occur.


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Let Faolan work on Weslen. I have a chance with Survival and I can't make any other roll for any other person. I'll get two more successes - I promise!

Faolan chats him up talking about the great outdoors.

Survival: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (5) + 19 = 24

...I'll get there. Just warming up, just warming up.

When the doors burst open, Faolan flies up a little closer, but he does not know these troops. "What do you have to say for yourselves there busting in like that. Must be pretty important huh?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil turns around to face the intruders, trying to keep an open face about him.

1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 13 + 2 = 34 Know (geography)

"Ah, welcome Molthunians! What do you need? We have a lot to discuss right now," Bazsil says with some niceness, eager to hear why they might be here. "We can use all the help and information we can get."

1d20 + 28 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 28 + 2 = 36 Diplomacy at Molthunians

* * *

Later, Bazsil will try to get a read on, or influence Obsik.

1d20 + 28 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 28 + 2 = 44 Diplomacy at Obsik

Shadow Lodge

You move quickly to calm the scene, Bazsil's deep voice cutting through the chaos. You hear a voice from the Molthuni forces call for them to stand down, and slowly both sides back away from each other.

From the battered Molthuni ranks, a tall woman steps forward with an air of confidence, her uniform marking her as a general lord—one of the heads of the Molthuni state. She drops a bloody sack to the ground, and severed hobgoblin ears spill out. "We come under the flag of parley to bring you this gift. Many of my soldiers paid the highest price for it. I am General Lord Katra Sebine, daughter of General Muriel Sebine, granddaughter of General Lord Marley Tavenoos. I do not look for bloodshed. I ignored the horror set upon our neighbors, and now my people and my land pay the price for my arrogance, crushed beneath the boots of the Ironfang Legion. My fellow general lords in Canorate argue how, or even if, to intercede. Meanwhile people die—my people and yours—and unless we put aside our war, we shall both be overrun. Rumors claim you know where the Legion hides, and if your arm knows where to strike, I may be willing to place my sword in your hand."

After her speech Wesley angrily calls for her to leave while Santila demands that the entire council vote on including General Lord Sebine in the talks. Wesley is convinced to abstain and the council splits on the vote. Santila and Daq vote to include her, Gossamer and Obsik vote to exclude her. It is up to you now.

Bazsil, you aren't able to get a good read on Obsik. Something is off about him but you aren't sure what it is. He keeps to his line of supporting you though.

Dark Archive

Male Human 17 | HP 182/182 | AC 34;TCH 14; FF 33 | F +13; R +6; W+17 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Init +1; Perc +22; SM +7

Survival (Weslen): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Bor continues to try and influence Weslen but is caught copletely off guard as the Molthuni come barging in. At first he is made, then even a bit relieved. "While we may not all see eye to eye, we are all here for one purpose. Let's set aside any differences for a short bit to deal with the immediate threat. The Hobgoblins need to be dealt with."


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Faolan tries again with Weslen, to gather his attention and do something worthwhile with it.
Survival: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (5) + 19 = 24 vs DC 30

Alas, the dicebot seems stuck on '5' and he gets no where once again.


Half Elf Horn Dude 15 AC 25/23/17 / HP150 / F +14 R +10 W +11 / Init. +10/ Perc. +20 Sense Motive +27/Diplo +27 Nature+17 Local+14 Arcana13/Geog12/Dung+12/Planes15/Religion15

Bazsil takes the measure of Katra's words, trying to find hidden meaning in them.

1d20 + 28 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 28 + 2 = 44 Sense Motive

"Well, we may not be ones to turn aside aid. Tell us what you bring to the fight?" Bazsil will listen to her voice carefully.

1d20 + 28 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 28 + 2 = 49 Sense Motive

* * *

And Bazsil will put some time trying to convince Weslen as well, just so that they have him in their corner, and the rest of the party might concentrate their efforts elsewhere.

1d20 + 28 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 28 + 2 = 37 Diplomacy


AC 36 Flat 20 Touch 20 | CMD 44 | HP 188/192 | F+18 R +18 W +17 | Init +3 | Perc +30 | Sense Motive +25

Faolan too considers the words as he listens to the conversation.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (8) + 24 = 32


Human | AC 17(22) FF 14(18) T 17(21)| HP 40/194 | F +11 R +11 W +14 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +23 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe watches the unexpected guests divide the potential alliance forming in the room. He was just about to talk to Santila about the business of war, but finds he needs to change direction. Bor and Bazsil seem intent to include the Molthuni, and so he joins their efforts, focusing his attention on the holdouts.

Approaching Gossomer, he tries to first get a read on the fey being.

Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34

”Gossomer, is there a reason you would deny another potential ally? As far as I know, they pose little threat to the Fangwood, but do you perhaps know something we do not?”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

6,551 to 6,600 of 7,356 << first < prev | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.