An Ancient Evil

Game Master Celestial Healer

The kingdom of Leyland is in the midst of change. New technology and new social structures are taking the place of the old ways. In the midst of this, an ancient evil is awakening and threatening this prosperous nation. It falls upon a band of heroes to face this menace.


651 to 700 of 1,430 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Me neither. It looks dangerous. You go first," Sylvia commands from the rear.


46/46, AC 11

"Very good idea fair maiden, I'll sunder the darkness." he says with a sardonic touch at Sylvia's mild jibe. He runs his hand over the velvety fur of Luce's flank reassuringly.

"I'm sure your vials of fire won't miss their mark." he adds to the chemist.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Trina steps up behind Jeremiah, adjusting the placement of things around her shoulders. "I'll back you up. Best we not separate, if at all possible, but if we're going to send someone in to scout it out they shouldn't go alone.


46/46, AC 11

"Good thinking, we should probably advance. Stalking towards it with Sylvia, Smitty & Bessie covering us." he pushes Luce onwards towards the dimness, his reined hand he brushes the pommel of his lance.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"Huh? I figured we were all going. It's just best if you keep your kitty away from my mule. Go on, we'll follow."

How wide is the entrance? Should we make up a single-file marching order or can we walk two or three abreast?


Male Human Rogue 4 (HP 23)

"Jeez, do I gotta do everything?" Rhodes blunders forward, misplaced confidence on his face and in his strut.


The shroud of darkness is at the base of the gorge, so you no longer need to proceed in single file.

You head bravely into the darkness. In the absence of vision, your notice your other senses more. The sound of the waterfall is there, but you also discern a slight breeze in the branches, the passing water against the rocks, the sound of your own footsteps. The air smells of acid and decay. Shortly beyond the leading edge of the darkness, your feet (or those of your mount) touch the waters of the stream, continuing on its journey through the gorge away from the base of the waterfall.

Perception checks please.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

With apprehension, Caladrel enters into the darkness with the others. Sickened not so much by the smell itself, but for the corruption of this once beautiful environment it represents, Caladrel tries to quell the wave of nausea attempting to overcome him. He keeps his senses alert for any dangers lurking in the darkness.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Trina moves along slowly, tapping along ahead of her blindly with her cane in one hand and her glaive in the other.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Sylvia hurries in after everyone else, possibly doubting the wisdom of being left alone outside. She tugs the reluctant mule after her.

Perception, Sylvia: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Perception, Chanticleer(scent): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Predator

With a low rumble Luce pads forward, making sure to be near or at the front with her heavy load.

Perception (Luce): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Perception (Jerry): 1d20 ⇒ 12


Male Human Rogue 4 (HP 23)

Rhodes walks ahead, an idiot's confidence in his strides. He strains his eyes in the dimlight, though.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


Finding your way across the stream and to the far bank in the unnatural darkness is a challenge, but enough of you are able to navigate your way safely and assist the others. You hear a faint crackling sound nearby. Investigation leads you to a tight tunnel that leads into the face of the gorge. The magical darkness is in effect even here, but you can feel the perimeter of the opening. It is approximately 4 feet in diameter. The sound seems to be coming from within.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Caladrel listens very carefully to the crackling sound and tries to identify it. knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


46/46, AC 11

Couching his lance across his shoulder, Jerry guides his feline companion forward into the darkness. "Good morrow, felicitous greeting to thee?" he softly addresses the tunnel, readying himself to bolt into action.


To Caladrel, the crackling sound is nothing that belongs to the natural order of things.

The tunnel is a tight squeeze for Luce, but cats do love tight spaces. All of you will have to crouch (you will be squeezing) in single file. Are you headed in? I will need a marching (more like tunneling) order.


Male Human Rogue 4 (HP 23)

Rhodes probably bungles in first or second, depending on who is confident enough to enter magical darkness.

I should've made his wisdom 8.


46/46, AC 11

Jerry pushes on into the darkness.

So how do we want to do this? Jerry will have to lead Luce (no way he can ride her), which limits his options. If we encounter anything we'll have a tough time in hand to hand, so do we want another ranged/magical person near the front?

Would Rhodes - Smitty - Sylvia - Jerry - Luce - Caladrel work? Caladrel may be able to advance by shape-shifting and Rhodes dive/tumble past any really small creature? Hopefully it'd minimise the uselessness, or Jerry could push to the front as a roadblock.


Don't forget Trina.


M Elf Druid 4 {AC 19, T 13, FF 17, HP 28/28}

Caladrel turns to the others, "Whatever is making that sound, it is not natural. The opening is small and we will need to squeeze. With our vision impaired by this unnatural darkness, we will be quite blind. I will turn myself into a badger and lead the way. I can try to track this creature by its scent."

If all agree, Caladrel will cast barkskin on himself and then shift into a badger. This makes him small and gives him low-light and scent. He will lead the way and then the other can follow in the order suggested by Jerry.

Caladrel moves to the front and chants in Druidic. He casts barkskin. His skin hardens and becomes coarse. He then continues to chant and begins shrinking as fur sprouts from his skin. His armor and gear becomes absorbed into his body.


Cheetah AC 20, Perception: +13, Speed 50

The shape shifting complete. Caladrel the badger moves to the front of the line. He looks back to see if all are ready. When they are, he goes deeper into the tunnel.

Caladrel tries to pick up the scent of anything lurking in the tunnel.

Scent from the PRD:
Scent (Ex) This special quality allows a creature to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Creatures with the scent ability can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

The creature can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range.

When a creature detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed—only its presence somewhere within range. The creature can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. When the creature is within 5 feet of the source, it pinpoints the source's location.

A creature with the scent ability can follow tracks by smell, making a Wisdom (or Survival) check to find or follow a track. The typical DC for a fresh trail is 10 (no matter what kind of surface holds the scent). This DC increases or decreases depending on how strong the quarry's odor is, the number of creatures, and the age of the trail. For each hour that the trail is cold, the DC increases by 2. The ability otherwise follows the rules for the Survival skill. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility.


46/46, AC 11
Celestial GM wrote:
Don't forget Trina.

Whoops I knew I was missing someone, other than the mule. I did have a bit of a discussion with Treppa in chat about order, maybe put Jerry & Luce in front of Sylvia & Trina at the rear?


So, I am seeing: Caladrel (badger), Luce, Jerry, Smitty, Rhodes, Sylvia, Trina. That work?

You progress down the dark tunnel, feeling your way along the damp walls. For forty or fifty feet, the tunnel does not narrow or widen. It simply continues. It turns a corner, and the unnatural darkness seems to shift almost imperceptibly to a more ordinary lack of light. As it rounds a second corner, a faint bluish glow is available some distance ahead.

Caladrel:
You begin to detect a scent that has no relation to any living thing you know of. The scent is actually reminiscent of ozone. The source is clearly further ahead in the tunnel. Combined with the crackling sound, you cannot help but be reminded of lightning or other sources of electricity.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

I think Rhodes said he was going in first or second, so that would put him between Caladrel and Luce. Chanticleer is going behind Sylvia. She can bring up the rear if Trina prefers; otherwise, poor Trina follows the mule. At least she's not behind the elephants.


Cheetah AC 20, Perception: +13, Speed 50

Caladrel looks back to see how the others are faring. Assured that they are able to keep up, he continues toward the glow. He is wary as he approaches the source of the blue light. He slows down and tries get more clues about what is ahead. Also, he looks out for traps.

perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32


Predator

Agreed with Luce for order

Luce sniffs the damp tunnels, a big grumpy at having to squeeze underground and the fact that the little badger in front of her is keeping out of paws' reach. From behind her Jeremiah holds a lantern up so that he can see as the natural darkness returns.


As you continue, the blue light grows brighter, although the overall effect is always subdued. Ahead, you can see that the tunnel empties into a roughly hewn chamber filled with swirling vapor. The static crackling noise seems to be coming from the chamber.

Caladrel:
Although the vapor makes sight difficult into the chamber, you are fairly certain you see movement in there apart from the fog. The room is occupied by a humanoid form that you cannot distinguish clearly without moving closer.


46/46, AC 11

Nosing forward the lion almost pushes Rhodes over, so keen is she to get into the more spacious chamber. Jerry burst out after her, trying to ensure that there's no untoward activity.

He quietly adds; "Apologies." to the clever rogue. Then his eyes widen as he takes in the size of the place.


Cheetah AC 20, Perception: +13, Speed 50

Caladrel sniffs the air trying to get a better read on the location of anything that may be in the room. He cautiously begins to move deeper into the room, sniffing incessantly for any scent that may yield the presence and location of someone or something in the room.

Does the vapor go all of the way to the ground? Or is Caladrel the badger able to walk beneath it?


The vapor seems to rise from the ground itself. Being low to the ground does not help.

Perception checks please. I already have Caladrel's.


46/46, AC 11

Carrying his lantern into the cavern, Jerry doesn't like the look of the place. Especially since this might be the source of all the troubles.

Jerry Percept: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Luce Percept: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 Note: She has low-light vision and scent


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Trina Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Smitty Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Rhodes Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Smitty, Jerry & Luce, and Sylvia are surprised.

As you emerge into the chamber, there is sudden movement, as a vaguely humanoid figure rushes at you through the mist. The being seems to be constructed of the very vapor in which you are enveloped, a denser form shaped like a man. Two small bundles of electricity serve as eyes, which fix upon you and are a clearly visible as the figure approaches.

Roll initiative please.


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

"What the....!?"

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


46/46, AC 11

"By Jove!" Jerry exclaims echoing Sylvia's similar thoughts.

Initiative (Jerry & Luce): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21


Cheetah AC 20, Perception: +13, Speed 50

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Caladrel sees the creature begin to move toward the group. He moves to the side of the room to avoid the creature.


Trina Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Smitty Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Rhodes Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Foe Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Within the Mist-filled chamber, there is a palpable energy, as of static electricity that makes your hair stand on end. The walls of the cavern are rough, but appear to have been hewn from solid rock by picks and spades. Rocks and stones litter the ground, and you are no doubt horrified to see human and animal remains littering the cavern as well.

The figure with the glowing eyes approaches menacingly.

The order for the surprise round is:

Rhodes
Trina
Caladrel

Mistman

MAP

The Mists in the room obscure your vision. They have no effect on creatures adjacent to you, but at 10 feet or more, creatures have concealment (20% miss chance).


Cheetah AC 20, Perception: +13, Speed 50

Caladrel is unable to identify the creature coming toward them, but senses that given the glowing eyes, there may be little he can do in his current state. He tries to scurry to the corner of the room undetected.

Move to E9, Stealth if possible: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Male Human Rogue 4 (HP 23)

Rhodes moves to g9 and takes defense action.

Sorry, ESO has been...*looks away from paizo*... It's been.... ESO...*drool*


Male Dwarf Gunslinger 4

Smitty looks agog at the misty creature.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

I'm here! >_< sorry for the delays!

Trina, bringing up the rear of the group, wriggles through the last of the tunnel, vestigal wings scraping along the underside of the rocks and claws scrabbling for purchase while her blade is gripped tightly in the grip of her tail, doing her best to avoid dragging it along the ground behind her - the group is making enough noise as it is.

As she emerges, she blinks and scowls at the mist obscuring her vision, and shakes her head slightly trying to clear her sight. She only catches a glimpse of the transparent thing as she straightens again, and her tendrils curl sharply in surprise and alarm at the sight of the incoming attacker.

Not trusting firearms in the mist, fearing the potential of friendly fire, she instead quickly transfers her glaive from her tail to her hands, steps up to the line, then plants her feet and holds her ground, preparing herself for the enemy to close.

5-foot step to K9, then ready action to attack the thing if it comes within range. Note that Trina has reach.

Also what would be the appropriate Knowledge?


Knowledge (Dungeoneering).

Knowledge Dungeoneering DC 19:
This mysterious being has been called a fogwarden. It is an aberration not native to this plane of existence. They are beings of pure electricity, the worst nightmare of the Luddites who oppose today's scientists trying to harness that power.

It is best not to strike it with metallic weapons. Weapons enchanted by magic are the best option. Also, their electrical aura has been known to animate unliving flesh.

The quickest among you spread out into the chamber, and not a moment too soon. The misty creature crackles with energy and unleashes a bolt of white lightning which arcs across the small cavern, searing the flesh of Jerry and Sylvia.

Jerry and Sylvia take 3d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 1) = 9 electricity damage. DC 16 Reflex save for half.

MAP

The mists in the room obscure your vision. They have no effect on creatures adjacent to you, but at 10 feet or more, creatures have concealment (20% miss chance)

Rhodes
Jerry
Luce
Trina
Smitty
Caladrel
The foe
Sylvia


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Curses! Two 2s in a row!


46/46, AC 11

Reflex Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

The crackling of the electric arcs across the room, Jerry hardly has time to move as the energy rips into him. He looks to his feline companion and the ceiling of the cave judging whether he has room to swing.

Pulling the zwei-hander into a broom stance, he attempts to vault onto the back of Luce.
Ride (Vault into saddle DC20): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 Thus free action.
He lands into the saddle, his singed riding boots giving off a faint grey smoke. Giving the feline a rub upon her side jowls, he tries to coax her to move towards the enemy.

Handle Animal (attack DC20): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Thus she moves through the mist towards the strange ephemeral creature, Jerry's sword describing a low arc as he keeps low upon his mounts torso.

Luce& Jerry move to J3
Attack (Jerry): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 6) + 12 = 24
Conceal (low misses): 1d100 ⇒ 3


Predator

With a wide low sweep, the noble scrapes a shower of sparks across the cavern. They sparkle into Luces' eyes, hence she lunges forward and tries to bite the creature. They nearly dazzle her into missing, though the nature of the creature might make her natural bite fail.

Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Conceal (low misses): 1d100 ⇒ 23


Luce nips at the creature, and pulls off a small part of its misty form, but the effect seems to be rather marginal.

Rhodes
Jerry (posted)
Luce
Trina
Smitty
Caladrel

The foe
Sylvia


Cheetah AC 20, Perception: +13, Speed 50

Caladrel watches as Luce ineffectively attacks the creature. He then begins a methodical search of the room while the monster is distracted to try to find the source of the electricity and mist. He moves carefully along the walls alert for any clues.

Single move along the wall to finally end up at D4. Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26


F Elf Alchemist 4 {Init +3; Perception +8 (llv); HP 25/35}

Reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
hp=26 (35-9)

"G-g-g-gods," Sylvia shivers through gritted teeth,"Feels like the day after that party in the Sorc Frat House. I swore off magery then."

Blabbing as free action.


Caladrel:
The source of the electricity appears to be the creature itself. You don't find anything that could be feeding into it. The mist, however, is thickest near the tunnel that leads away to the west. As you pass by the entrance to that tunnel, you feel an unearthly coldness come over you.

MAP

The mists in the room obscure your vision. They have no effect on creatures adjacent to you, but at 10 feet or more, creatures have concealment (20% miss chance)

Rhodes, Trina, and Smitty are up.


Female Tiefling (Motherless) Inquisitor [Sin Eater, Preacher] 4 [HP: 25/28] [AC: 16 | T: 11 | FF: 15]

Seeing as the creature isn't going to be closing the gap with her, she decides to take the initiative. Trina picks her way across the misty battlefield and takes a swing at the creature once she's within reach.

Move to J5 and attack
Attack: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 1 = 26
Confirm: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 7 - 1 = 11
Miss Chance (low = miss): 1d100 ⇒ 80
Damage: 1d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 3 = 17

651 to 700 of 1,430 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / An Ancient Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.