All over a bit of Drift Rock

Game Master Azih

Current Track:

Xavra

Map:

Istamak Interior Maps.
Istmak

Picture:
Xavra
Tzayl


401 to 450 of 2,402 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna is busy trying to stuff the coilgun turret console back into its housing before anyone notices she broke it, which feels a lot like she's just kicking the back of Fi's seat over and over.

Thankfully Prospero lances the necroglider like a fat boil and the ship disengages from combat mode, returning the console into the pilot's seating front of her.

With a sigh, the half-elf leans back and turns her head, watching the tumbling attack craft veer towards the drift rock. "Serves them right for jumping us. They were either sent to stop us or were posted by interested parties to make sure no one steals it. Putting an Eoxian on guard duty in space makes sense, they don't need food, water, atmosphere... Wait... is it landing on the rock? They must have survived!"

--------------

Astrianna purses her lips and looks over the Aceron, quickly taking a high-resolution picture with her Lifecorder system. This was going on #Shamefulships later...

"We should land next to the interceptor and finish off our attacker. They wanted us dead in space, they'll want us dead in person. Besides, we need to send a message-
Don't f~+* with us."
She responds to Liela's landing inquiries. "After that, we can go through the open airlock."


N Android Mechanic 8 | HP:52/52 SP: 64/64 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +15, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

"Target disabled." Prospero-4 states the obvious, his voice flat as ever. He follows the necroglider's landing on the Rock, wondering if it will bother them again in another time. Now, with the battle behind them, he comes into a conclusion that the small craft didn't have much chance against them. Question is, why it attacked in the first place? Did the pilot fail to estimate the danger involved in fighting against the Hippocampus?

The android hears Leila's question, and immediately taps his console to get a full status of their ship. "Hull intergrity at 94 percent," he interprets what he sees on the holographic display. "We have no immediate need for repairs. However, if you rather have Hippocampus in prime condition and feel that we have a few hours to spare, I believe we can get the damage fixed."

--

"I am locking on to the landed interceptor. Although I must ask Miss Fianh to fly closer for a optimal firepower. A couple more shots should put it beyond repairs. Just say the word, captain."

Getting the coilgun locked to an unmoving target isn't much of a challenge. Without the heat of the fight, he notices a whirring sound resonating through the hull as the servos are working to rotate the turret to face the target.

"Leila, did you see anything or anyone exiting the ship?"


To see if anything was noticed you'll need a high Computers and Perception check


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

"Hmmmm...." Leila brings up the sensor feed again and goes over it again. It wasn't much to work with - a tiny person at that range? But maybe. She did her best to stare a hole in the information display so that it would spill any secrets. "Hey Prospero could you give me a hand and help reverse the sensor polarity? I think it would give an enhanced resolution on this scale." Aka magical zoom and enhance :P

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Computer: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18 Do we get ship-computer bonus on this one?


Sure. Not necessary though

Leila is quick enough and good enough to create a visual recording of the tiny speck that are the remains of the Interceptor on the asteroid. She's not certain but she thinks she can see a smaller dark blob exit the corpse of the ship and move away from it out of range of their ship's sensors. If that is indeed what happened then it occurred about five minutes ago as it took about that long for Prospero-4 and Leila to process the sensor data. The shape is no longer visible anywhere on The Drift Rock.

The scan also shows some general information about the asteroid itself. It's got a pretty unremarkable, irregular surface and is about 600 metrons or so in diameter. It has no atmosphere and is comprised of rock and metal. Oddly though the sensors can't pick up anything about the interior. It's as if the Drift Rock itself is interfering with the sensor readings...


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

"Yeah, that's definitely something. Now it's just the matter of finding it - whatever it is. That's not going to be easy. I suggest we just blast the ship and set our sensors to watch the cables. Anything crawling on them should be much easier to spot since they are much more uniform. Maybe it'll try to jump - there shouldn't be too much gravity on that rock ... Maybe." Leila gives her opinion. "Oh and there's definitely something odd about that rock. Sensors shouldn't have this much trouble getting a read on a rock right?"


Female Human Daredevil Operative (Ace Pilot) 2 I HP 16 I Stamina 14 I Resolve 5 I EAC 15 I KAC 16 I Fort +1 I Ref +7 I Will +3 I Init +5 I Perception +6, Darkvision 12 metrons

Fi frowns at the discussion. "I have less than no interest in chasing some fool around a bit of rock, so sorry." (She doesn't sound very sorry.) "FYI, the Necroglider carries a crew of one - and they're now stranded. Seriously doubt they are interested in anything but trying to avoid spending entire rest of existence on dumb rock. Assuming they survived the crash, of course. If they want to cause trouble, we outnumber them."

"Besides, I'm not being paid for that. I'm being paid to investigate ship. Ship much more exciting."

Fi is a daredevil of a pilot - but you don't survive piloting in the vacuum of space without developing some cautious instincts as well. She brings their shuttle in a full circle around the strange ship (in both directions), trying to see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

"OK, looks like rear airlock doors are open. Means no atmosphere in ship. Everyone suit up."

Wary of docking the shuttle right behind the engines of the other ship (a sudden blast would damage their only way back to Absalom Station), she picks one of the other airlocks on a whim and carefully brings the Hippocampus alongside. The touch of the two ships together is as feather-light as she can make it.


You may spacewalk to the aft doors or attempt a disable device check on the starboard or port doors to open them up

Fianh's expert hand brings the ships together with no bump and the exit hatch of the Hippocampus extends out to form a dock tunnel to the moribund vessel. The Aceron does not respond to the automated request to form an airtight seal between the respective airlocks.

All that the Aceron responds with is a repeated message implemented by Absalom station security informing you that the vessel has been placed under quarantine and unauthorized access is strictly prohibited.


Actually on second thought the Aceron is a workhorse utility vessel that really doesn't care much for security 'cause who'd steal from this pile of junk? It'd be a DC10 check to find the external hatch controls that would pop open the airlock. Which is trivial for some of you. Just pick an entry point, port, starboard, or aft and let's go!


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

I'm assuming you mean engineering check? Seems like Fi wanted starboard or port, which I'm fine with.

port or starboard: 1d2 ⇒ 1

Docking portside

Astrianna shrugs when Leila discovers that the necroglider pilot probably survived the controlled crash. "I'm sure they headed towards the ship already, we'll meet thm inside." Like Fi, she seems unconcerned about the pilot- they're outnumbered.

She waves a dismissive hand at the idea of blasting the necroglider. "It's grounded. No reason to blow a chunk out of our mysterious moneyrock. Let's just get inside the Aceron and figure out what's going on here."

---------

Double-checking the life support modules on her Second Skin armor, she stares expectedly at the airlock door they docked at. Seconds passas nothing happens. She sighs, crosses her arms over her chest, and starts to tap her foot with impatience. "Well it's clearly not going to open itself. Prospero?"


Prospero-4 and Leila have no problem locating the maintenance panel for the Aceron's port access. Prospero-4 can also easily reach up to pop it open and manipulate the emergency lever to cause the dinged up hatch of the Aceron to unlock.

The double doors shift apart from each other as the emergency lever is pulled, allowing Prospero to reach between them and pull them apart giving the group access to The Aceron.

Flickering emergency lights do little to dispel the darkness inside the derelict ship, and the sense of abandonment is only heightened by the apparent lack of any movement or life inside its airless corridors. Artificial gravity is still functional however, so there's likely still power to run essential systems and possibly restore life support and atmosphere to the ship. Unfortunately, there are still no obvious clues as to the fate of the Aceron's vanished crew.

The observer bot floats behind Astrianna. It has been silent since its initial announcements other than blared warnings to Leila each time she had poked it.


There is nothing in the airlock. The doors into the main body of the ship can be opened by pressing an old looking pressure sensor to the side.

It slides open to reveal a long corridor which seems to run most of the width of the ship from port to starboard. Signs of battle-bullet holes, scorch marks, and droplets of blood-are clearly visible on the walls and floors. A small body in a space suit lies sprawled on the floor in the middle of a junction in the hallway.

It's only the lights that you have brought with you that allow those of you without darkvision to see clearly.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna slides her infrared goggles over her eyes, dispelling the darkness of the ship's interior as they step inside. She has ignored the drone hovering over her shoulder, though she does wonder what the Ambassador makes of the Necroglider that attacked them. Surely he knows more than he lets on, or else he wouldn't have given us such a heavily armed ship.

The half-elf whistles over their comm channel as the battle-ridden scene of the Aceron comes into view for her. "If they were having some kind of party to celebrate their haul, it must have been HELLA fun." She quips, unholstering her now-signature hot pink laser pistol and holding it in two hands.

"I see one spacesuit about 5 metrons away, and then the hallway forks into four quadrants. We should head left towards the cockpit." Astrianna says almost professionally, before squeezing the trigger on her laser pistol and plugging the downed body on the floor with a shot of highly energetic photons.

shoot body: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2

She waits to see if there is any kind of response for the body, meeting the skeptical glances of her companions with a shrug. "What? I'm not taking any chances. Haven't you seen The Body Snatchers of Kesperon-5? Well it's based on a true story!"


The spacesuit shifts a bit under Astrianna's assault, but other than that doesn't move.

The only thing you can hear, other than your friend's voice over the comm of your suit, is your own breathing in the airless void that is now The Aceron.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

Well technically *I* didn't poke it. The stick did, I just happened to be holding the other end of that stick. Silly drone!

---

Before leaving their ship empty and up for grabs Leila makes sure to close their end of the airlock and set the ship computer to notify her if anyone tries to tamper with it. And set up a password for it to open. "All-right!" she announces over the comms. "'Leila-is-best' is our password for today! Don't forget just in case we need to get back inside in a hurry!"

---

Inside the other ship Leila flicks on her flashlight so she too could see things. She sweeps it around a bit to survey the scene and then, thanks to Astri's laser pointer, fixes it on the body?. "Uh-yeah. Not nice. Did it just shift a bit?! Let's hope it was just something vaporising - but give it another poke! And then let's check it out. Crew or *ooooh* alien invader?"


Marching order and actions please


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

"Is that in all lowercase?" She asks about the password, genuinely wanting to make sure she can get back into the ship if everyone else gets eaten by an otherwordly horror.

Taking point, the half-elf walks down the hallway towards the body, stopping at the intersection to look down both directions for any sign of danger. She lingers for a few moments in both directions, making sure to capture enough suspenseful footage.

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

If the way is clear she kneels down next to the body in the spacesuit, turning on her flashlight to get a good look at it. "Think they were trying to get away from all this? I don't see hardened miners putting on their spacesuits in their own ship unless they thought there was a hull breach. Or maybe someone opened that aft airlock on purpose while everyone was inside?"


GM Screen:

INit: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Astrianna Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Fian Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Liela Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Prospero Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Astrianna takes the lead and the observer bot floats silently along behind her as she makes her way down the short corridor. She passes a door on her right as she approaches the unmoving body at the intersection. Right before she kneels to examine the small body a sixth sense, as there is no sound in space of course, causes her to turn her head to her left.

Staring at her from only 3 metrons away is what looks like a hairless blue cross between a lion and a dog. Dozens of thick tentacles float and twitch from where its mane would be if it were a lion. It bares its teeth revealing dozens of sharp blue teeth standing out before the darkness of the wide maw behind it. It's yellow eyes lock on to Astrianna's. It tenses to leap but Astrianna's reflexes are just a hair faster...

Setup, Astrianna is in the north mouth of the intersection. 3 squares away from her to the east is the creature. The rest of you are behind Astrianna so it will take a move action to get into the corridor itself if you want to attack this round. Of course only Astrianna knows what the heck is happening as the rest of you are out of sight around the corner right now...


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Round 1

"SHELYN'S T%$! WHAT IS THAT!" Astrianna yells over their comm as she locks eyes with the... thing?!... nearly deafening the rest of the crew.

She scrambles backwards and runs towards the rest of the group as quickly as possible. "There's a killer tentadogcatthing coming! SHOOT IT! SHOOOOT IIITTT!"

Move action: Get 'em inspiration, +1 attack rolls for all allies against the... thing... Persists even out of line of sight!

Move action: Move back to the group, preferably behind Prospero.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
N Android Mechanic 8 | HP:52/52 SP: 64/64 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +15, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

When Fianh starts the docking procedure, Prospero-4 takes his leave from the cockpit. He moves to the airlock (which happens the be the only area with any kind of extra space), where his new armor is waiting. Donning the heavy mercenary armor, he uses a couple of minutes of getting used to the extra bulk he now wearing. The armor feels surprisingly clumsy, especially when comparing the barely noticeable Second Skin he has been wearing until now. But this armor has badass written all over it. Literally, actually. Sometimes Prospero-4 wonders where exactly Astrianna got this. But at least it isn't painted pink.

--

Astrianna's hasty and vocal retreat obviously means that she is pretty sure she encountered hostiles. From the shouted description, Prospero-4 cannot begin to imagine what to expect. So he points his rifle towards the corner, and prepares to shoot whatever appears from there.

Ready action: Shoot tentadogcatthing when on sight

Ready action rolls:

Laser rifle, Get 'em: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 4 + 1 = 15
fire damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Can the critter be identified with Life / Physical Science?


As per the "What Knowledge I roll!??" House Rule, just roll a generic d20 and I'll add whatever bonus is appropriate and let you know what if anything you are able to recall.


Female Human Daredevil Operative (Ace Pilot) 2 I HP 16 I Stamina 14 I Resolve 5 I EAC 15 I KAC 16 I Fort +1 I Ref +7 I Will +3 I Init +5 I Perception +6, Darkvision 12 metrons

At the prospect of trouble, Fi doesn't hesitate- she barrels down the corridor, past Astrianna, to get a good look at the thing.

Knowledge to identify: 1d20 ⇒ 3

Oh well. Whatever it is, she can probably kill it. Pivoting on the spot, she does a backflip away from it, firing her gun as she does so. The heavy firearm makes absolutely no noise, but her bullets are just as deadly in the hard vacuum of space. Probably more so, since there's no air resistance to slow them down

Trick attack, Acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Pistol vs Flat footed: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Damage: 1d6 + 1d4 ⇒ (3) + (4) = 7
Crit damage: 1d6 + 1d4 ⇒ (2) + (4) = 6


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

Leila hasn't seen the thingy yet - but I suspect she will soon. So I'll make a identification roll!

Who's that alien menace?!: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Note! Her alien archive doubles her operative edge bonus on these things, which currently translates into +1 more then what's listed. If we are using skill modifiers :)


Lookit those dice!

GM Screen:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Liela Life science DC 5:

Oh my god, those are Akatas! Staples of cheesy horror shows set in Space and here you are being charged by one! Fun! These are terrifying predators that dwell in the vast void of space, they make their homes on asteroids, comets, and dying planets, hibernating in cocoons for countless centuries. They awaken when they detect life from their cocoons and hatch to seek hosts.

Oh yeah hosts, they reproduce by implanting parastic larval offspring in humanoid hosts. If infected the host dies and then transforms into undead void zombies.

Fun fact: The trashy trivids are actually right about them being susceptible to salt water!

EAC 12, KAC 13, Fort 3, ref 3, will 3.
Immune to cold, disease, posion, and starvation, resistance fire 5.
weakness: salt water
HP 18

The tentacatdog thing speeds around the corner snapping on Fianh and Astrainna's heels. Its massive blue claws digging into the deck of the derelict ship as the muscles on its 0.75 metron tall form ripple and the tentacles stream out from behind it in the void as it leaps at Prospero.

The void beasts momentum makes it easy to predict for the two shooters though and laser and projectile fire score direct hits on the thing as it barrels at the android.

Fianh's hit in particular goes right between the thing's eyes. It's yellow eyes dim to a dull black as it slumps. It's momentum keeps it going as its body goes limp and it comes to a rest next to Prospero-4's boot.

Damage Tracker:

Akata DEAD! Crit headshot.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna turned around just in time to see the flashes of light from Prospero's and Fi's guns. She does a silent fist pump as she captures the killing blow of the creature on camera, her head tracking the sliding beast as it comes to rest at Prospero's feet. "Yes! Nice shooting! Now what the hell is this thing?"

Her confidence seemingly magically restored, she walks up to the creature and gives it a swift kick with her boot. "Think this is what killed everyone on board? Didn't look all that tough. Were they hauling it to sell at some freakshow? Or maybe it lived on the drift rock?"

Circling the corpse for a moment or two to capture more footage of the attacker, she gets distracted from her initial trajectory (to look at the body in the spacesuit), and instead looks into the room the beast came from.


Map updated.

Astrianna moves forward and discovers another corridor running port to starboard as she moves closer to the fore. This is where the beast came from.

As well Prospero and Leia have no problem identifying the corpse in the intersection as being a goblin in an appropriately sized spacesuit.


Very minor retcon. The dead beast ended up next to Fianh not Prospero. Carry on!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

"Squeeee!" Leila shrieks of excitement/joy/horror as her flailing flashlight illuminates the critter. She quickly bounces closer to the the fallen creature so she can look at it with her hands. "Oh-oh-oh! A *real* alien!! Well except Astri but she doesn't really count does she? It's juuuust like in Alien Thing 4; this is obviously a Akata! Yeah just look at the flubby tentacles and stuff. Obviously! They live on asteroids and abandon stations and so hibernating juuust waiting for prey to come poking around. How cool isn't this all!? Very very cool!"

The halfling beams and takes a moment to catch her breath before squeeing a bit more and switching track to Akata fun-facts. "Did you know that they can't stand salt water? Ooooh oooh but they can survive a really loooong time without food. And they are really hard to freeze or poison! Easier to hit with energy weapons too. But! But ..."

Her flashlight bounces a bit until it finds Astri. "... they resist fire! So heat weapons don't work so well! Oh oh oh! Just like your laser. Hmm maybe that isn't such a fun fact? And and-"

Now her excited flashlight jumps to the goblin corpse behind Astri's back. "-and they infect anyone they kill so they can rise as a zombie! So you know if it did kill that one ... Yeah! Awesome!"

The halfling falls silent and her flashlight continues to shine on the body as she cautiously approach. Man undead were icky but this one, if it was one, wouldn't be so tough! And they had guns and so, so it wouldn't stand a chance. Any moment now...! But nothing seemed to be happening. "Meh. I don't think it's going to move. Maybe because we shot it earlier? Anyhow! If the Akata's killed everyone we gotta look out for the bodies. But I don't really think so - I mean if it was just that some mercs could just have cleaned it up right? Ooooh maybe there's lots and lots of them! Or a queen ..."


N Android Mechanic 8 | HP:52/52 SP: 64/64 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +15, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

"Akata..." Prospero-4 keeps a pause to consider what has just been said. "If Leila is correct, we should be very careful here. If that beast has killed any of the crew, there might be zombies lurking around."

"The akata and that dead goblin could explain why the crew is here no longer. But where did they come from? Let's proceed, there is much to investigate."

The android takes position next to the first door on the corridor, his rifle ready to shoot anything that could jump on them. "Leila, can you get this door opened?"

Did we come from the top of the map, or the bottom? In any case, Prospero plans to check the first door from where they came from


Top of the map. Updated

The door hisses open and beyond the group can see The Acreon’s port cargo hold containing much of the ship’s supplies—extra food and water stores, replacement air filters, spare parts, and the like. It seems like the room has escaped whatever disaster befell the rest of the ship.

In a corner there is also a shipping container, tall and rectangular, approximately 1.5 metrons square, addressed to the Eoxian Embassy on Absalom Station.

The observer bot hovers taking everything in.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Thankfully Astrianna's infrared goggles spares her from the nauseating way Leila is flicking her flashlight all over the place.

"Akata? Oh so-" She tries to get a word in, but the hafling can't be stopped.

"Ha! Then I-" Nope, she's still going.

"Crap, yes giv-" .......

"LEILA!" Finally getting he halfling's attention, Astrianna juts out a hand. "Do you have a gun and some bullets I could borrow? I really don't like the recoil on semi-automatic pistols, but I also don't like being killed and turned into an Akata zombie."

"ALSO! See, I was right about shooting that spacesuit when we came inside. You never know." She exclaims, relishing the opportunity to be proven right.

"But wait... If that Goblin wasn't a zombie, then maybe the Akata didn't kill it? Why didn't it try to eat the goblin?" She throws the question out, unable to find any immediate answers. During her puzzling, she thinks about something Leila said. "What was that about a Queen Akata?"

------------------

Astrianna peeks into the port cargo hold around Prospero, scanning the area briefly befor waltzing inside. The shipping container immediately catches her attention. "Ah, undelivered freight. The Eoxian Embassy would surely appreciate we finish what the Hardscrabble Collective started. We're lucky we docked right next to it. Let's get a trolly and load this onto the Hippocampus before the whole place dramatically explodes or something."

As usual, she starts bossing people around. "Prospero, Fi, stand guard while Leila and I load this onto the ship. If it moves, shoot it. Well, unless it's us. You know what I mean. Leila, do you see an anti-grav lift anywhere? The ones with wheels are so passé."


Considering the state of the rest of the ship the group is lucky to find anything more sophisticated than a piece of cardboard with a rope attached to help move the cart into The Hippocampus.

As is they find a wheeled cart. One of the front wheels drifts left while the other drifts right. Between them the cart works sortof as expected. The package does take multiple bumps as it is maneuvered out of the cargo hold and through the airlock into your ship.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

"What? Oh sorry! Yeah of course!" The halfling realizes that there might be more important things going on then alien trivia. Like dealing with the actual aliens. If there were any more of them. She flails around a bit more with the flashlight as she tries to move her new/spare gun from her clip belt while not letting go of her current one nor the light. Eventually she manages though. "Here! Oh and the queens were added in the 12th film but I'm not sure if that was just to make more money or not ... Anyhow! They're bigger and meaner and so on."

"But I think people have to be alive in the first place to be zombified. And that's really how they reproduce I think, so that's why it wouldn't bother with pre-dead people. Maybe it simply snuck in from somewhere, like the driftrock or something the ship passed by, when *something* left the airlocks open. Because I don't think they can work airlocks. Hmm though in the 17th film ... Eh probably not!" Leila agrees with Astrianna and Prospero and elaborates a bit. As she does she heads towards the indicated door to get it open. Maybe just pushing the button would work ...

---

The halfling throws a quick glance over the supplies, looking for anything that might help them fix up their ship (or any rations that look particularly tasty and/or exotic. Odds felt low but it was worth a shot! Preferably while the observer probe was distracted by the container...). Then of course something to help them move the container. "Yeah, let's hope we don't have to drag the darned thing. Maybe we should just disable the gravity ..."

Though there really doesn't seem to be much except that old passé thing. Oh well. Only half jokingly she suggests "Maybe we could just shoot a hole in the hull and drag it out with our ship?"

---

"Pew!" Leila exclaims as they *finally* manages to get the darned thing back on their ship. After their brief pause to gather their wits and for Leila to re-enable the ad hoc security the halfling wonders loudly. "Now then! Should we try directly for the bridge? Maybe there's a captains log or something that juuust happens to explain everything. Though I suppose that would actually be in the captains quarters right? Works in Star Wreck!"


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna wastes time looking over the cargo hold again after all they can find is a wheeled cart, desperately hoping for something more sophisticated. With a groan she finally accepts the rolling piece of trash that pases for a cart, and with Leila's help manages to get the package onto their ship.

She hated phsyical labor, but the pay was worth it. The Ambassador's offer was just too good to refuse! Which is why she cringes a little bit every time the box takes a bump, imagining the credits rapidly deduct from their bonus before her eyes.

Unceremoniously dumping the cart next to the airock after the job is finished, she places her hands on her hips and looks to Leila. "Well that was our good deed for the day. I agree, let's head to the bridge and see if we can find out who's to blame for this mess."


GM Screen:

Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Astrianna Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Fian Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Liela Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Prospero Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Round One Akata 1 bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Round One Akata 2 bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage One: 1d8 ⇒ 4
Damage Two: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Fort Save One: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Fort Save Two: 1d20 ⇒ 14

The group moves past the silent corridors and reach the door that leads to the bridge. It opens with the press of a button.

The door opens and your eyes immediately go to the two Akatas lounging on the bridge controls turning to stare at you. Their yellow eyes boring into yours. Unlike last time however the natural agility of the void beasts bests your reactions. They leap at those at the door! Their claws find solid purchase on the floor of the derelict ship and both their bites sink in through the leader's armor causing damage!

The people bit can feel some sort of insidious wriggling... thing... trying to invade their bloodstreams.

If two of you are at the door then one Akata is on each of you and both are still in the bridge. Otherwise it's two on the one leader and one of the Akatas has barreled into the corridor. Either way don't forget that ranged weapons provoke AOOs! PCs in the lead will have to take guarded steps back to be able to carry out ranged attacks without getting bit again. PCs in the back can fire but they'll have to get through Soft Cover from the leaders. Close Quarters Battle Go. Round One PCs up.

Behind the two Akatas that have attacked the group is horrified to find there's another one that seems to be snarling and slavering behind its fellows. There's at least three of them!


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

"Aaah!" Leila exclaims as the door erupts into tentacly blue aliens. Upon noticing the one(?) behind them she adds: "Aaaah!"

And since that one was cutting of their most valuable potential retreat path she shot at that one first! Raising her pulse caster with one hand she desperately tried to see if she couldn't shut down the artificial gravity just where it was, if only for a moment!

Trick Attack!: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 11 + 4 = 18

To Hit? EAC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Damage? Electric + Nonlethal: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5


Sorry for the misunderstanding. The third Akata is behind the others Akatas not the party. It's deeper in the bridge. Also you missed.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

Ah mkay : )


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Round 1

If the hallway fits two abreast, Astrianna would probably be next to Prospero when the door opened. So she'll take one of the attacks. The 3 damage one!

Astriannna is trying to tell Prospero a joke about an android getting itself into a hilarious situation because it didn't understand a joke when he opens the door to the bridge. "...so the android replies: "Wrecked 'em? But bowel obstructions lead to- MORE AKATA! CLOSE THE DOOR! CLOS- S+@@!"

She tries to raise her tactical pistol to take a shot, but one of the aliens breaks through her kinetic dampeners and bites down on her arm. "AH! GET OFF ME YOU FREAK!"

She smashes the Akata in the side of the head with the butt of her pistol before it does any serious damage, knocking it away. Though she can still feel something strange going on under her flesh...

Retreating backward, she uses her free hand to draw a wicked (tacky?) looking plasteel knife from belt, pointing it the Akata that bit her. "My target! Focus fire!"

Move Action: Guarded step 5' back, draw Survival Knife as part of action. Currently holding knife in onehand, tactical pistol in the other. If Leila moved back too, it should let Fi get a cleaer shot?

Move action: Get 'em on the Akata that attacked Astri, +1 to hit.


N Android Mechanic 8 | HP:52/52 SP: 64/64 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +15, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

"You do have a very peculiar sense of humor..." Prospero-4 was facing Astrianna when the door opened, and failed to grasp that the shouting was not part of the joke. However, the reality hits him hard in the form of a charging Akata.

Shock and surprise fades quickly, and the android prepares for the fight. "Stay behind me!" he cries, and tries to keep himself between the Akatas and his allies.

Remembering the beasts being resistant to heat, he decides this fight is better handled with blade than laser beams. Prospero-4 draws his knife, strikes the one Astrianna is pointing.

Survival knife, get'em: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 = 8
damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Botting Fianh. Hope you get your connection issues resolved soon Fi!

GM Screen:

Trick attack, Acrobatics DC 21: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16

Pistol Get 'em: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 2

Round Two Akata 1 bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Round Two Akata 2 bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Round Two damage on prospero: 1d8 ⇒ 2
Fort: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Fianh is not able to distract the marked Akata with her acrobatics. She is however able to shoot it. Her bullet grazes the beast causing it to flinch.

The Akata's continue their assault on Prospero-4 who is now holding the front line. One of them is not able to find purchase but the other gets through Prospoero's armor again.

The third Akata shifts around, clearly chomping at the bit to get into the fray, but its siblings ahead, block it.

Setup: Two Akatas still in the bridge attacking Prospero. Clear shot on Akata #2 as Astrianna has backed away. Akata#1 has soft cover. Third Akata is behind but blocked. Round Two Party up.

GM Damage Tracker:

Akata 1 unhurt
Akata 2 16/18
Akata 3 unhurt

Astrianna 3 damage
Prospero 6 damage


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 8| Sp: 18/56 | Hp 48/48 | Rp: 7/9 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +4, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +13, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Round 2

Astrianna stands her ground, knife pointed towards the Akata that bit her earlier. She watches it intently, aiming to swipe at it if it tries to move in front of her to flank Prospero. "Yeah! Keep attacking this one! This is our space hunk, you horror trid reject!"

She shifts her head to her android companion as he vaiently holds off two alien beasts with nothing but a knife. "This is why I got you that badass armor! You're like an Infinite Star Legion Commando!"

Staying put in case the Akata moves with anything other than a guarded step. She and Prospero would get an AoO on it in that case.

Move action: Get 'em on Akata #2, +1 to attack rolls. This only lasts 1 round btw, so don't put the +1 on there unless you see me using the action.

Standard Action: Inspiring Boost on Prospero, healing him for 7 stamina points. I think that takes care of all the damage he's taken so far.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

Well Leila needed no encouragement to continue to stay behind Prospero and to continue to shoot the Akata. However ... "They *have* several trids you know... We just talked about this! Like five, if you count the spin-off but maybe that isn't so important right now (and that last one kinda sucked anyhow...)"

Meanwhile she tries to spoof an emergency close command to the doors. With a bit of luck they'll slam together and cut the darned things in two! More realistically they *might*, with a bit of luck, at least move a bit and boop the critters off-balance...

Trick Attack!: 1d20 + 11 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 11 + 4 + 2 = 36

Gun Attack!: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 = 12

Damage?: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6


Female Human Daredevil Operative (Ace Pilot) 2 I HP 16 I Stamina 14 I Resolve 5 I EAC 15 I KAC 16 I Fort +1 I Ref +7 I Will +3 I Init +5 I Perception +6, Darkvision 12 metrons

This teamwork thing is difficult - the group isn't well coordinated and they risk getting in each other's way. Plus Astri's screaming doesn't appear to be a leadership thing.

In other words, the whole thing's a snafu. Fi grins. She wouldn't have it any other way. Stretching out one arm, she tucks into another rolling dive, coming up shooting at the beasts while trying to avoid their bite.

Trick attack, Acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Pistol: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Trick attack damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Sorry for absence - did Fi get bitten at all? If so, what hp damage, and does she need to make a Fort save?


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

No I think she's fine. She doesn't appear in the damage tracker spoiler at least!

Fort saves seems to be happening automagically on the DMs end when they are called for as well. I suspect we'll notice (eventually) when we fail them too :P


Fi's alright so far. Life Science check to know about Akata bite effect.


N Android Mechanic 8 | HP:52/52 SP: 64/64 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +15, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

@GM: Are you keeping track of damage PC take? If not, could you type the damage taken outside the spoilers? Easier to search that way... After Astrianna's boost, Prospero-4 should be back at full stamina, right?

"I thank you for your words, Astrianna. I find them... encouraging." Prospero-4 had to search for words a bit, as the feeling was strange for him. Nonetheless, he found those words oddly washing away the exhaustion of the fight. Now he should be able to stand as a shield between his allies and enemies a while longer. When one of the Akata's lunges to bite his, the android lets his exocortex target the beast and takes an opportunity to slash back with his knife.

survival knife, get'em, exo: 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 1 + 1 = 25
damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Life science on the bite effect: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


GM Screen:

Round Three Akata 1 bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Akata 1 bite damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (3, 2) + 4 = 9
Prospero fort save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Round Three Akata 2 bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

@Fianh. Fianh isn't attacked yet. And Leia is right. I'm making all Fort saves for you guys.

@Prospero-4 Sure will make Damage Tracker visible. Prospero is at full health due to Astrainna's boost yes.

Prospero-4:

Void Death. Any infected creature that dies animates again as a creature known as a 'void zombie' a few hours after vital signs cease.

Other than Astiranna, whose words inspire Prospero-4 to ignore the effects of the Akata's attacks on him, the other three members of the group attack the injured Akata.

While the beast is able to track Fianh's attempts to feint it it still gets hit by a solid bullet to the shoulder. It panicks as the door in front of it judders a bit and that allows Leia to barely land a hit with her own pistol. Prospero-4's knife work also grazes the beast. It's hurt. Very hurt, but it just manages to stay on its feet.

The two beasts in the front line continue to attack the most immediate target. The unhurt Akata shows its vigor by sinking its teeth deep through Prospero-4's armor. The hurt one's attack is weak and its bite misses Prospero-4 entirely. The third Akata continues to pace behind its fellows frustrated at being unable to join the fray.

Akata 1 unhurt
Akata 2 1/18
Akata 3 unhurt
Astrianna 3 damage
Prospero 9 damage

Setup: Front line Prospero facing off against two Akatas. One Akata is behind the front two. Second Line Astrianna and Fianh. Third Line Leia. Round Three party up.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +20, Engineering +21, Life Science +20, Mysticism +16, Physical Science +20. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 28/56 Hp 44/44 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +13; Will +8; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +14; Trap Spotter |

Leila takes aim at the injured critter while trying to think of a good way to distract it. Maybe? Hmm... No. This?

Tricksy trick!: 1d20 + 11 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 11 + 4 + 2 = 23

Shoot!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Damage?: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6
Confirm?: 1d6 + 1d4 ⇒ (2) + (3) = 5
ZAP!

Well that seems to have done it!

Well *that* didn't do it ... :P

Confirm2?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Damage++?: 1d4 ⇒ 1


Liela is right. The void beast is not only spooked by her gadget trickery but gets hit with a bullet straight to the face. It jerks back and its waving tentacles go limp as it collapses into an unmoving heap!

No need to confirm Leia!

401 to 450 of 2,402 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / All over a bit of Drift Rock All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.