All over a bit of Drift Rock

Game Master Azih

Current Track:

A way forward

Map:

Sunrise Maiden Interior Battle!

Picture:
Grey skinned outsider/invader


2,101 to 2,150 of 2,462 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

It turns out that the unfortunate creature had acutally been close to death and the last few punches on Vek where more like death throes than anything else. The barrage of attacks on it from all sides spins it around and it lands, faces first down on the tiled floor with a wet and very final splat.

Bleeder drops his bow and starts to mutter what sounds like Prayers while Snarky takes a deep breath.. We will burn it. Thank... thank you for putting them.. it to rest.


The next room, from where the abomination came is a simple space seemingly cleared of all furniture or decorations. The ony thing present is a simple square cloth mat measuring a metron to a side. It lies in a crumpled heap on one side.

Everything has been painted an inky black.

There is a door to the north and a door leading further in to the east.


GMScreen:

2d10 ⇒ (5, 10) = 15
2d10 ⇒ (9, 10) = 19
2d10 ⇒ (8, 4) = 12
2d10 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8
2d10 ⇒ (6, 1) = 7

To the north are rooms that are a dirty faded aquamarine color and remnants of furniture poke out from the rubble of the northern walls. The dust and lack of murals shows that no one has come in here for a very long time.

In the farthest room Cueta's keen senses find, underneath a faded mural of a kish, a hidden stash. Wrapped in oilcloth there is a gleaming axe that looks very sharp and very formidable. Definitely a step up from quality from the weapons most kish use. Still, it would have trouble dealing damage through modern armor though as many of you have experienced, they manage to do quite well in dealing damage regardless. (Archaic still).

Gain assault Kishaxe

There is an air of solemnity in the final, austere room. A capsule, a metron in diameter and 1.5 metrons tall sits on a 2 metron square platform in the center of the room. It is made of some kind of shiny metal and dozens of wires, cables, and tubes sprout from its surface. Many of the wires run to a free standing wheeled console nearby. A door, a little more than a metron tall, opens into the capsule. A small shrine covered in dried flowers and small wooden icons stands against the western wall.

A flat triangular crystal, exactly like the one found in the Maze of Ghosts, sits as one of the offerings in the shrine.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

"I wonder ... Do you think they would have been okay if they simply had entered the capsule one by one?" Leila asks a while after they have entered the last room. With a mix of horror and curiosity she watches the strange device. "It looks like an incubator - or possibly a strange washing machine? But I bet it's some sort of regeneration device. But activating it blindly ... Brr!"

"Hmm. We really should take a look and see if we can't fix it. Or understand enough to try and give some guidance... Oh! If we manage to fix it we should totally borrow a hologram or two from the Maze and put here to give guidance. I'm sure they won't mind. And the Kish would certainly listen to instructions by a revered ancestor ghost! Ah until it glitches and demands flesh sacrifices ... But that's probably a few centuries in the future right?" The halfling approaches the console while throwing a lot of glances on the central capsule. "Prospero, would you help me figure this thing out? If we do this properly it'll surely save us time convincing them."

Better just try a lot of things - except getting into that chamber - and see if anything helps :D

Computer: 2d10 + 18 ⇒ (4, 2) + 18 = 24

Engineering: 2d10 + 18 ⇒ (9, 9) + 18 = 36

Life Science: 2d10 + 17 ⇒ (5, 10) + 17 = 32

Medicine: 2d10 + 17 ⇒ (9, 10) + 17 = 36


N Android Mechanic 9 | HP:58/58 SP: 72/72 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +16, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

Prospero-4 stares at the crystal, standing silent as his wireless protocols try to unlock the data within.

Computers @data? crystal: 2d10 + 18 ⇒ (10, 10) + 18 = 38

Then, hearing Leila's words, and realizing there is a malfunctioning device in the room, he let's the exocortex continue hacking the crystal while he focuses his attention towards the medical device.

"Of course, Leila. We should repair this one."

Computers: 2d10 + 18 ⇒ (10, 2) + 18 = 30
Engineering: 2d10 + 17 ⇒ (9, 6) + 17 = 32


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna looks the capsule over as they enter the room,and guffaws at Leila's suggestion. "Do you really think they were dumb enough to put in two at a time? I mean, they don't seem stupid, I'm sure they would notice if putting in two Kish results in one big mean Kish. But how else do you explain..." She thumsb heind her at the scene of their fight. "That thing we killed back there."

Astrianna goes over to fiddle with the recorder crystal on the shrine, unaware Propero's wireless exocortex is already breaking down all of its security. She glances over her shoulder and raises an eyebrow at the two. "Are you going ot make sure all the Kish have acccess to clean, hydrating fluids and have pre-puberty education? We're not the Saerane Corps. You know there's a damned sun-killing gun out there we have to stop, and I don't think fixing reconstruction pods is going to help us figure out how to find it before an Annihilation Cult and Undead Terrorists do."


Just as Astrianna pokes something a voice, interrupted by static from years of data degradation, comes out of the data crystal. Prospero knows he activated it. Astiranna's camera tells a different story.

Greetings. This is... head of security at... Foundry... We recently had a few pieces of classified... investigating possible compromise of all methods of entry and exit in our facility. As far as.... the manual I have here states that the lock can be placed in standby mode and accessed with an admin keycode.... I would like to know how many of your employees have access to this keycode..... Please respond at your earliest convenience.

The geolocated IP of the source of the message corresponds with the Temple Found while the destination of this message matches that from the earlier data crystal. In fact it is able to fill in the gaps admirably well and the geoIP is narrowed down very tightly to one of the larger floating chunks of land in the northwest of Istamak.

**The medical machine**

Leila and Prospero, working together, quickly identify it as being a gene therapy device that works when a creature steps inside. The machine attempts to replace defective kish genes with baseline non diseased ones. Delving into the logs it seems that the present day kish have evolved away from what the machine is trying to replicate which explains why the machine is behaving erratically. In fact based on the logs Leila is able to determine that the baesline kish and present day kish are thousands of years apart in terms of evolution. The console includes input containers which can take new samples of DNA, presumably new DNA samples will allow the machine to use those as new baselines rather than the contents of its old database.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna smiles as the crystal begins to speak, and she listens carefully to the message. "While you're playing medical technician, I have gotten one step closer to saving the galaxy!" The vlogger proclaims triumphantly as she stows the data module into her rucksack. "Not only do I have the coordinates to the secret entrance to the temple of the found, but that is also requires an adminitrator passcode to open! Which I am sure we will find at Securitech headquarters."

It was a brief victory, but she soaks it in with her hands on her hips. Considering how long it took for the two computer wizards to work on the abomination maker she eventually got tired of standing in her power pose and started messing around with their most recently captured video footage of the two-headed Kish fight.

Just to clarify, the data crystal has a source of the message- which is the supposed backdoor of temple of the found, and the destination of the message Securitech Headquarters? So we have coordinates for both?


It's the source and destination of the messages. The server the message was sent from and the server it was sent to.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

"Mhm. But if we save the Kish from this machine, we've saved slightly more of the world. That's worth bonus points right?" Leila beamed and glanced at Astri. "Now, if we think we are right, we might just need some fresh dna samples. Would you mind asking those two outside to donate a drop of blood each? And we'll hope they don't have some horrible genetic disease. We'll have to get a hologram to tell them to occasionally update their dna samples. Oh and to only go inside *one at a time*. Just in case."


N Android Mechanic 9 | HP:58/58 SP: 72/72 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +16, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

"We will head to the Securitech office promptly" Prospero-4 states, not sure if Astrianna was talking to him of the camera.

"We will first re-configure the gene therapy device. Or failing that, disable it."

"I can help with the technical process, but my understanding of organic compounds is quite limited. You shall lead the calibration process, Leila." he says, and almost mentions he actually has quite fresh blood sample smeared on the fist of his fist. But perhaps a voluntarily donated sample is cleaner.


Unfortunately Leila, there is a configuration and calibration process needed to input the new samples into the gene therapy device as Prospero recognizes. It's not plug and play. Diplomacy check to get a genetic sample from one of the Kish and then a Computer check please. They're outside burning the corpse.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna's faces twists in a menagerie of emotions ranging from skeptism to offence. "Firstly, do I look like some kind of nurse? You can draw your own blood, Dr. Bluethistle. Secondly, your moral compass is way out of whack if you think maybe helping some super racist Kish is anywhere near as important as stopping a death cult that wants to destroy entire solar systems."

She waves a hand through the air as if dispelling a bunch of smoke hanging around. "Let's go, we don't have time for this."


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

Cueta pulls the ax from under the mural and whistles, running her thumb across its blade. Who knew how long the ax had been hidden? Regardless, the weapon's blade was still sharp. Grinning a wide, manic smile, the pilot clamps the ax to her weapon-pack, which is beginning to look a bit crowded and decidedly pointy.

In the next room, the pilot picks an unoccupied corner and works with the ax, gaining an appreciation for the weapon's balance and space. Cueta otherwise ignores the others as they work, the 9er not having much to contribute. She agrees with Asti's last point, however. "Oi. You think fixing this thing would be quick, then? An exploded solar system would make all this work pointless, yeah?"


Male NG Vesk Soldier 1 / Solarian 8 | Stamina 81/81 HP 67/67 | EAC 25 KAC 27 | CMB +14, CMD 35 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +6 (+2 vs fear, +2 vs spells, SLA) | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +4, Low-Light Vision | Speed 35ft | Unattuned 0/3 | Resolve 9/9 | Force Field: HP 10/10 Charges 10/10 | Haste 10/10 | Active conditions: None

”If the point is to save the people of the galaxy, we’d be kinda failing at our mission here by letting this machine continue to turn them into abominations,” Vek adds softly. And If this is what it takes... ”And imagine how excited your followers will be when they see you saving the poor, backwards kish from themselves, Astrianna. It would be like that video of the station police rescuing someone’s pet from a tree on Absalom Station. Don’t you want to be as famous as that squox?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

"But if we fix this maybe we won't be distracted by more abominations!" Dr. Bluethistle replied, since she was fairly sure that that title was a promotion. Oh! Idea! With a grin she added. "And won't 'Dr' be an extra plushie? Think of the merchandise diversification!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Seemingly outnumbered (and mentally filing away the idea for a Dr. Bluethistle plushie), Astrianna throws up her hands with extreme exasperation. "Gods, fine. I'll get you someone for your stupid blood sample for your stupid Easy-Gene Oven." She grumbles while turning to leave the room.

"Cueta's brain was turned into freeze-dried ice cream and she has more sense than the rest of you." Is her parting shot as she goes to find the Kish burning their two-headed compatriot.

"Greetings." The half-elf says in an unusually friendly manner considering how she threatened to have a mechsuit-wearing andoird punch their faces repeatedly not too long ago. "Your ancestors have sent me a vision, one to aid everyone on Istamak." Astrianna begins as the well-greased wheels of her prodigal acting skills begin to move. Why go halfway on this?

"As I entered the chamber with the relic, I suddenly felt the pressure of a great being push itself into my mind." She says dramatically, hoping the translation software was doing its job well. "It was a Kish, one wearing beautiful flowing robes of cloth..." She raises hand dramatically to her head, as if merely remembering the experience is enough to make her faint.

"It said... "Strangers, the Unworthy have been purged from the Kish bloodline. Complete the ritual and all will be seen as Worthy. Tell my children- Give your blood to the small one. She will use your great and pure essence to repair the relic that has been tainted with the Unworthy for so long..." Stumbling briefly in place as if recovering from exhaustion, Astrianna continues with struggling breath. "Then they vanished, and I collapsed from the sheer weight of the importance infused in this message."

"Please... one of you come with me. My companion, Leila, the small one, only needs a small bit of your blood to complete this ritual and restore the relic. Then this..." She glances sadly at the two-headed corpse, her voice dripping with melancholy. "...will never happen again."

mixed reations: 1d100 ⇒ 43

bluff: 2d10 + 15 + 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (6, 5) + 15 + (6) + 1 + 1 = 34

diplomacy: 2d10 + 15 + 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4, 5) + 15 + (3) + 1 + 1 = 29


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

The pilot shrugs as Astrianna storms off. As soon as the captain leaves, Cueta's stomach lets out an audible rumble, reverberating around the room. Hmmm, freeze-dried ice cream...


N Android Mechanic 9 | HP:58/58 SP: 72/72 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +16, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

Prospero-4 eyes the Kish "volunteer" up and down, wondering how much blood will be required - and how to take the sample. In the end, he takes a syringe from his medkit.

"The instruction book tells I should say 'This won't hurt a bit'"

Soon, the android injects the blood sample into the alien device and initiates the reprogramming.
computers: 2d10 + 18 ⇒ (9, 1) + 18 = 28

"Leila, please monitor the process for any abnormalities."


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

"Yess!" Leila beams as Astri cooperates and brings them the donator. It felt good doing good. And also fixing things. Two in one!

Computer: 2d10 + 18 ⇒ (1, 6) + 18 = 25


Bleeder, still bleeding as he did get hit very hard, shrugs and withdraws a rag that he holds up to his face. She then helps Prospero by inserting the sample in the machine and configuring it to isolate and analyze the blood rather than the cloth.

Prospero-4 handles the rest, working with the alien programming to replace the original DNA encoding with the new one. Fundamentally all computers working with a techno/logic paradigm work similarly and this one is no different. He finds it easier to work with it then he does with his organic teammates in some ways. It is simultaneously soothing, and a bit boring.

It's an hour before Prospero judges the old DNA database has been completely replaced by the new. The machine is now tuned for the evolved Kish rather than their distant ancestors.

Bleeder, now sporting a bruise, glances at the machine.

Do you... do you think I should try it?

***

After this the group follows the digital trail the two data crystals have provided them. They skirt the large green area of the Hunting Grounds and the howling voices of what seem like a pack of feral canines that come from there. Finally they stand at the edge of the island proper and look across at the smaller floating islands that make up the 'Broken Lands'. The geoIp indicates their destination is on a large chunk of floating rock about 30 metrons to the NorthWest and 5 metrons up from the 'shore'. A fairly large but severely understated office building stands there. Smaller islets float between the group and it. A few of them look big enough to hold a half-dozen people.

Whatever magic or tech holding the island up seems to have been resilient enough to persist despite whatever calamity that caused this corner of the island to splinter and break apart as it has.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna finds a place in the corner to sit, cross-legged, as she starts to splice together the raw video footage of their adventure so far. She had already thought of a title for the series- The Empire that Fell Into the Gap. Oh yeah, she was a genius.

As the calibrations continue, the half-elf makes a parting shot about every 10 minutes about the galaxy needing saving, not that it seems to make her tech wizards move any faster.

"Gods, finally." She exclaims when they finish, jumping up and closing around 13 different tabs on her holo-comm. Astrianna glances at the bruised Kish and shrugs. "I would if I were in your situation, that's a nasty bruise. Your... worthy essence is the foundation for the ritual, after all, so it will be most attuned to you."

-----------------------

The vlogger seems to hurry them along at a faster pace than usual once she starts hearing the howls of feral canines off in the distance. "I hate dogs." She audibly mutters more than once as they move through the streets, and she glances down every ruined side ally just in case.

"Huh, that's a sight." Is her only comment about the floating office building, and she takes a moment to capture some high-definition ofootage of it. "It also doesn't look safe at all. Might as well fight fire with fire!"

She looks to their halfling companion and grins mischieviously. "Time for the old Halfling Grappling Hook Manuever! Leila, let's strap some cables to you, and you can use your jump jets to set up a line for us to climb up to the building."


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

Cueta thinks of the curs that would roam the 9, sandflea infested and hungry, and the lean, slinking looks they would give as they disappeared into alleyways. Still, if you could befriend them, with a bit of raw meat or even the rare dirt tuber, they would be loyal allies.

"What if we get the ship?" Cueta asks, willing herself to not think of the drop from one of those floating islands. "It can just drop us over one of them islands, yeah? And, we can get some freeze-dried meat for the dogs."


Male NG Vesk Soldier 1 / Solarian 8 | Stamina 81/81 HP 67/67 | EAC 25 KAC 27 | CMB +14, CMD 35 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +6 (+2 vs fear, +2 vs spells, SLA) | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +4, Low-Light Vision | Speed 35ft | Unattuned 0/3 | Resolve 9/9 | Force Field: HP 10/10 Charges 10/10 | Haste 10/10 | Active conditions: None

Vek checks his jetpack’s settings as well. ”It should be safe enough if both of us fly over together,” he suggests to Leila. ”And if there are any surprises, the three folks here can haul us back.”


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

"I would be completely willing to get the ship if we hadn't wasted an hour playing Doctors Without Planets." Astrianna says snidely before waving a hand. "But we have to make up time somewhere. So go, do the jetpack thing."


GM Screen:
6d10 ⇒ (5, 10, 1, 10, 10, 6) = 42

Bleeder takes a few deep breaths. Don't want anyone else to go through what Tatlik and Kalat did they finally mutter and marches into the capsule like a warrior marching out of a trench to meet certain death. The door slams closed and the automated gene therapy process starts up. Prospero and Leila monitor what is happening at the console. The new DNA sample is used as a template and it's only a few minutes later that the door opens.

Bleeder slumps out.

Then clambers to their feet, feeling their face. The bruise is completely gone!

It works. Praise the ancestors! Praise the... the storyteller.. I'm healed and.. they check the rest of their body frantically, patting all over themselves. And I am not an abomination! I think! Do I look alright?

Sullen, who was completely still while Bleeder went into the machine rushes to embrace them. Then looks at the group. Thank you... we will remember this.

**

Working in concert, Leila and Vek jetpack to the close by floating chunks of land with cables in tow and set them up for the rest of the team to rope up.

Noone rolled snakeeyes. Aw

It takes about twenty minutes but finally the whole team is on the large chunk of land on which the remains of Securitech reside.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

I mean their people isn't really nice to look at, but abominations ...? Leila couldn't help but have some idle thoughts as Bleeder steps out of the capsule. She quickly brushes them away and smiles. "Perfect! It's actually kinda spooky. Your ancestors were very clever! Prospero and I too. *Cough* Just make sure only one person enters at a time? Just in case. And take care."

---On the way---

"I'm starting to think you hate everything cute and fluffy Astri... Is that why you gave Prospero such a hard time?" the halfling shares this startling insight into the mind of the half elf. Yupp. Straight facts.

---On the hoverchunk---

"Aight! Heh I'm a bit curious as to where the engines are on this thing. There got to be some anti grav engines somewhere right? Or maybe a field ... But just in case this rock is suspended by belief - let's not wonder too hard!" Leila looks around on the small local rock. Wonder if the cultists or undeadites left any signs?


Leila doesn't really see any suggestion of anyone else having been here for a good long while.

Better memory than Leila Lol:
The cultists, taking advantage of the kish's previously trusting nature, went straight into the Temple Found, got what they needed and caused some malicious death and damage on their way out. You guys are running around to find a side entrance into the now barricaded Temple


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

"Right," Cueta says, taking a quick look around the floating rock. "Let's take a look at the offices, see if anything important lies within, yeah?"

Hefting her new old axe, Cueta makes towards the nearest entrance. "I'll take point."

perception: 2d10 + 16 ⇒ (7, 5) + 16 = 28

I assume we're going through the doors north of C1 on the map.


GMScreen:

Astrianna Per: 2d10 + 12 ⇒ (3, 5) + 12 = 20
Cueta Per: 2d10 + 16 ⇒ (5, 2) + 16 = 23
Leila Per: 2d10 + 14 ⇒ (1, 10) + 14 = 25
Prospero Per: 2d10 + 14 ⇒ (6, 4) + 14 = 24
Vek Per: 2d10 + 10 ⇒ (1, 4) + 10 = 15

2d10 ⇒ (7, 3) = 10
2d10 ⇒ (3, 10) = 13

2d10 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4
2d10 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10

2d10 ⇒ (10, 8) = 18
2d10 ⇒ (10, 8) = 18

Boo GM, missed out on giving a lot of useful information

A smooth path runs past a lawn so overgrown that it barely looks like one anymore. It leads to the entrance of the drab building in front of you. The blue and green grass smells sweet, like honey warming in the sun. Leila notices the structure's walls are shot through with barely perceptible white filaments webbing across the entire surface. She identifies it as some kind of mold, the spores of it are probably harmful through long term exposure, but poses no threat to the advanced filter systems of your armor.

This becomes far more obvious when Cueta attempts to open the door, it seems they are webbed together by the filaments and are stuck closed because of them.

Cueta and Vek work together to shoulder check their way through the door. It doesn't go as well as they expected though and Vek cuts himself a bit on the filaments while Cueta falls through with unexpected speed and bonks her head on the floor beyond.

Cueta and Vek take 4 damage each. Bad roll guys

Cueta gets a close up look of the floor of the room they're in. There is a carpet of pale white mold covering all of it. Other then that everything appears to have been untouched for millennia. Five decayed chairs sit against the walls to the south and west. A bed of mushrooms grows on a large four foot high L shaped desk across from the main entrance, next to a small cabinet. Other than the doors you came in to the south, there is a door leading deeper in to the north.

That door is stuck just like the last one.

Actions? Strength check will work unless you guys have other ideas. A good strength check won't result in damage just so you know.


Male NG Vesk Soldier 1 / Solarian 8 | Stamina 81/81 HP 67/67 | EAC 25 KAC 27 | CMB +14, CMD 35 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +6 (+2 vs fear, +2 vs spells, SLA) | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +4, Low-Light Vision | Speed 35ft | Unattuned 0/3 | Resolve 9/9 | Force Field: HP 10/10 Charges 10/10 | Haste 10/10 | Active conditions: None

Vek brushes off the mold, his toughened skin ignoring the cuts. "Kinda odd stuff," he comments as he walks to the northern door. "I don't suppose anyone's seen spores like this before? Seem kinda strong - maybe could be used for lightweight armor or whatnot."

Strength check: 2d10 + 5 ⇒ (7, 10) + 5 = 22


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

"Wow, this is disgusting." says Astrianna, who is somehow completely untouched by the spores or anything else. She pulls out a rarely used, bulbous looking pistol from one of her many holsters and fits a high-capacity petrol tank into its underside.

If Vek's strength check isn't enough-

"Looks like we're going to have to charge the Kish for all the remodeling I'm about to do." She quips before lifting the flame pistol and blasting the door with gouts of blue flame.

Astrianna has quite a lot of petrol on her, so if this mold is flammable at all she can try burning through any more blockages we encounter.


GM Screen:

2d10 ⇒ (1, 9) = 10
2d10 ⇒ (1, 1) = 2
2d10 ⇒ (1, 8) = 9
2d10 ⇒ (7, 2) = 9
8d12 ⇒ (1, 2, 12, 6, 2, 7, 8, 1) = 39
2d10 ⇒ (3, 8) = 11

Vek delivers a very hard kick to the next door slamming the door open.

Beyond it they find a spacious room is a wide swath of small, gray hillocks covering what might have once been a collection of desks and chairs. There is a doorway to a smaller room to the northwest, and a short hallway leads east past two other doors. (C3)

The smaller room to the NW is as covered in mold as the rest of the building. The environmental units of the group's armor alert them to a severe drop in air quality. The source appears to be an open unpowered refrigeration unit. Rotting cabinets, some whose doors have long ago fallen off, hang on the walls, and parts of a small, round table peek out from under a mound of mold.

Cueta, never one to leave a stone unturned, spies a side door on the refrigeration unit that's untouched. Opening it reveals a serum of some sort. (C4)

The rooms to the south are easily opened up by Astrianna's flamethrower. The tendrils writhe and blacken under the assault and the doors swing open. Both are occupied by an oval table surrounded by six chairs. The dilapidated remains of audiovisual equipment lie on the table, coated in a thin film of mildew. Light filters in through a large, south-facing window covered in the white fillaments. (C5)
2 shots of petrol used up

Next to the cubicles are two offices, one larger than the other, the desk and chairs here seem to have survived the millenia in better condition than the ones elsewhere. (C6)

A door to the NE, easily opened again by Astrianna leads to a large room containing three tables. THe ever present mould has crept up onto most of them. One of the tables has a large untouched patch about two feet in diameter. A roughly square hunk of metal, plastic, and crystal sits in the center of the open space, its sides covered with alien symbols and bits of circuitry. The filaments of mold covering the walls seem to be moving ever so slightly, as if a faint draft were blowing, though the air is still. A door leads out to the west, and another leads to the south.
Another shot of petrol

Prospero is drawn, almost like a magnet to the alien technology. As he gets close it suddenly emits an arc of electircity that strikes the android dead center. He's able to dodge a second arc that sparks out of the machine which is fortunate as even the one put a significant strain on his armor.

Sorry Leila, even with trap spotter, you didn't spot this

19 electrical damage to Prospero-4. Don't think he has any special defenses in this regard. Other than a brown force field so he takes 18 damage.

The final room to the south of this once lab area is coated with a thick layer of mold, with thousands of pale white filaments poking out like tiny fingers. However, the two rectangular objects in the center of the room are free of mold. The crystalline devices are marked with sharp-edged designs, and each has a dark computer console built into one side.

It might be a trick of her imagination but Leila could swear that some of the tendrils of the mold twitched as they enter the final room.

Other than that, all is silent.

The geoIP they have been following pretty precisely points to the northern device as the machine engaged in the correspondence the group found. Neither can be turned on. It's pretty easy to figure out it's because neither has any power.

Alright full map revealed, where are you guys and what are you doing?


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

*Yelp!* Leila leaps into the air as Prospero gets a zap, startled and worried. She reaches for her medkit and toolbox while never taking her eyes off her friend. "Are you okay?! Prospero?"

---

"Huh ... You know; we haven't seen this mold anywhere else? Maybe it's some weird living fence or something! Like monofilament or barbed wire? Also - did it just move?" the halfling cautiously eyes the mold.


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

Cueta sits while Prospero is tended to, the pilot suddenly aware of just how fatigued she is.

Spending a resolve point to gain back stamina.

------

"Move?" Cueta asks, giving the mold a hefty amount of side-eye. She was pretty sure this was another thing not to get impregnated by. "No, but I think we should nuke it first and ask questions later, chinney? Prospero?"

I'm all for burning the room, if we can get the tech out.


N Android Mechanic 9 | HP:58/58 SP: 72/72 +tmp 10/10 | RP: 8/8 | EAC 21, KAC 23 EAC 21, KAC 24 | F: +8, R: +13, W: +6 (+2 vs disease, mind-affecting effects, poison, and sleep) | Init: +11 | Perc: +16, darkvision 12 mt. | Speed 30ft | Memory module: 1/1 | Current battery plasma: 28/40, street: 30/40 Active conditions:

Prospero-4 stands up from the ground, where he dived to dodge the second arc."I am fine. Minor damage on my neuro-circuits." he says, after checking himself for wounds.

"We should proceed with caution, I do not believe that burst of energy was unintentional. "

"Astrianna, how much fuel does your flame-gun have? Can you clear the mold from the last room?" Mold moving on it's own doesn't sound good. Also, Prospero-4 really needs to get a flamethrower. It's embarrassing to be outgunned by the half-elf.


Male NG Vesk Soldier 1 / Solarian 8 | Stamina 81/81 HP 67/67 | EAC 25 KAC 27 | CMB +14, CMD 35 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +6 (+2 vs fear, +2 vs spells, SLA) | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +4, Low-Light Vision | Speed 35ft | Unattuned 0/3 | Resolve 9/9 | Force Field: HP 10/10 Charges 10/10 | Haste 10/10 | Active conditions: None

”Well, let’s find what we’re looking for quickly then,” Vek replies worriedly, glancing at the mold on the walls. Can’t get between everyone here - better to guard the rear and keep the door open?


You can't really move the unpowered servers as they're really big and heavy. The white mold is pretty much everywhere as well so could spread to the server if you guys just start burning everything!


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Astrianna seems to be greatly enjoying herself as she burns through the mold blocking their passage; a huge smile blossoms on her face every time she uses the small (but powerful) flame pistol to coat the area in sticky burning fuel. This was going to get a lot of hits on her next video!

"Ugggh it spread from the refrigerator?" She comments as they find the source of the mold, and her trigger finger twitches with the desire to just burn the whole apparatus, maybe the whole building. It's just like that one episode of Cowboy Bebop...Actually, this may be worse.

The vlogger jmps in fright as Prospero is suddenly hit with an arc of electricity. "Ouch. You know, some androids are into that kind of thing." She notices his pained expression and grimaces. "Not you, it seems."

"Oh I am completely, one-hundred percent on board with torching this entire room. My air filters are getting killed in here." She says as she checks the capacity on her current petrol tank. "This one is a bit low, but I have a high-capacity tank that could easily turn this entire section into flames. Hells, when we're done I say we figure out how to drop this whole building into the core of the gas giant."

Astrinna has 2 shots left in her current tank, and a high-capacity tank with 10 shots in it.

With a sigh, she thinks better of it though. "We should get the key off of the Securitech servers first. You two have had good luck bridging Pact Worlds technology and the Kish stuff, so why don't you try to hook up some of our spare batteries to the server? We'll make sure this centuries-old take-out gone bad doesn't try anthing."

Astrianna has 1 fully charged spare battery and another mostly charged battery in her laser pistol. Her Disintigrator pistol battery is low. Cueta also has that cool charging cloak(?) thing we used on Castrovel. We could make her do jumping jacks to power the servers, which would be hilarious.


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

Heh, I thought for sure Prospero would have some sort of flamethrower.

@Astri, yes, let's make Cueta do jumping jacks!

Cueta sighs. "I can charge the servers, probably? But I'll need to be in the room. This is probably a really bad idea."

Taking as much air into her lungs as possible, Cueta shuts down her suit's filtration system and starts walking towards the crystals.

Cueta is holding her breath until the mold is harmless or dead.


Engineering check on trying to jury rig a power source to a server please. Also which server, the north one, or the south one? The geoIP indicates the messages you've been following were coming from the north server.


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

Hmm. What if we get our ship and a tow line :P...?


Male NG Vesk Soldier 1 / Solarian 8 | Stamina 81/81 HP 67/67 | EAC 25 KAC 27 | CMB +14, CMD 35 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +6 (+2 vs fear, +2 vs spells, SLA) | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +4, Low-Light Vision | Speed 35ft | Unattuned 0/3 | Resolve 9/9 | Force Field: HP 10/10 Charges 10/10 | Haste 10/10 | Active conditions: None

Do we really want this mold on our ship though? :-D


Do you guys want Prospero to roll Engineering? If you're going to hook up the charge cloak to a server then which one? North or South? I'm going to assume your characters are bickering over what to do. Let's give ourselves a timer of until the end of the day or... events will begin to happen!


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

Let's start with Prospero rolls for engineering to hook up a battery to the north server.


N Female Human Soldier 1 / Mystic 8 | HP: 59/59 | STAM: 68/68 | EAC: 23 KAC: 25 | F:+5, R:+5, W:+12 | Init: +7 | Perc: +19, SM: +16 | Speed 6 met | Spells: 1st: 5/5 2nd: 5/5 3rd: 3/3 Resolve: 8/8 Healing Touch: 2/2 Ammo: 20/20 | Active conditions:

Sounds good to me!


Status:
Monster ID Modifiers:
Culture +22, Engineering +23, Life Science +22, Mysticism +18, Physical Science +23. Include Alien Archive bonus! +2 vs Items
| Sp 72/72 Hp 56/56 | Rp 8/8 | EAC 22 KAC 22 | Fort +8; Ref +14; Will +9; +4 vs Fear, +2 vs Emotion | Evasion, Uncanny Agility | Init +7 | Per +17; Trap Spotter |

"Aight! Let's do this! Good luck Prospero!" Leila gives her android friend an encouraging pat on the bag. Then she unclips one end of her titanium cable and attaches it to his belt. "Just if something tries to eat you, so we can pull you out. But hmm ..." Her gaze slowly shifts to Cueta and she clips another bit of wire to the warrior. Just in case.


GM screen:
2d10 + 17 ⇒ (9, 2) + 17 = 28
2d10 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7
2d10 ⇒ (5, 1) = 6
2d10 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5
2d10 ⇒ (1, 9) = 10
2d6 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5
Astrianna Init: 2d10 + 3 ⇒ (10, 7) + 3 = 20
Leila Init: 2d10 + 7 ⇒ (2, 4) + 7 = 13
Prospero Init: 2d10 + 11 ⇒ (2, 7) + 11 = 20
Cueta Init: 2d10 + 7 ⇒ (5, 8) + 7 = 20
Vek Init: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (1, 7) + 6 = 14
2d10 + 4 ⇒ (9, 6) + 4 = 19
2d10 + 9 ⇒ (4, 8) + 9 = 21
2d10 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4
2d10 ⇒ (9, 5) = 14
2d10 + 20 ⇒ (5, 7) + 20 = 32

The charge cloak is hooked up to the northern device and the machine slowly spins up. It takes longer for the machine to boot then it does for Prospero and Leila to bypass the ancient security protocols.

It takes a few more minutes but digging around in the storage makes it clear soon enough that this server was a public access machine and nothing of security value was kept on it. That leaves the second server.

By this time everybody notices that the white tendrils of mold seem to be... swaying.. which is weird since there is no breeze to speak of.

There is nothing to do but move onto the next machine. Cueta provides power while Leila and Prospero repeat the process of accessing the Kish technology. This does not go nearly as well as this is obviously a more locked down machine. The first attempt triggers a failsafe and all three get zapped by a weaponized grid of power surrounding the machine.

Cueta, Prospero and Liela take 5 electrical damage, 4 for Prospero since he's got that brown forcefield.

The second attempt allows Prospero to barely get past the enhanced defenses. Even with him and his exocrotex working in concert though he thinks it will take about 24 seconds to download the contents of the machine to sift through later.

It's too bad then that as he announces this to the rest of the group that Vek and Astrianna find themselves engulfed by a swirling mass of white horror.

Thousands of pale white fungal filaments seem to crawl right out of the very walls themselves and form into a 2 metron by 2 metron square of writhing grasping needle like tendrils that pierce through the armor of the half-elf and the Vesk. The foul, almost sickly sweet, stench of food somehow rotting for a millenia assaults the two as the needles find purchase and this is almost worse than the damage they're taking. Vek is able to shrug it off but Astrianna is nauseated by it and as her stomach heaves can't do anything other than stumble around!

Prospero is too deep in communtion with the ancient computer to notice what's happening behind him but Cueta turns to see her two comrades engulfed in what seems like a swirling white sandstorm of mold while Leila sees what looks like static come to life drowning Astrianna and Vek. She doesn't know what the hell it is but her keen knowledge of Life Sciences leads her to surmise that this seems to be like some sort of a plant-like swarm and unless it's magical in nature in some way would probably be mindless.

Leila also get one more question

Both Vek and Astrianna take 21 damage, Astrianna is also Nauseated

Round 1, you guys didn't roll great at any point really and got beat on initiative. Astrianna failed a fort save. Prospero is busy hacking unless you guys tell him to do something else. The charge cloak won't keep the server up for too long as well. Maybe a minute tops. Cueta, Leila, and Prospero are at the south server. Astrianna and Vek are at the door to the room and both are in the swarm.

Status and Health
Astrianna 21 damage Nauseated
Cueta 5 damage (from server)
Leila 5 damage (from server)
Vek 25 damage (4 from before)
Prospero-4 22 damage (from server+trap) 4/4 rounds left in download.


Male NG Vesk Soldier 1 / Solarian 8 | Stamina 81/81 HP 67/67 | EAC 25 KAC 27 | CMB +14, CMD 35 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +6 (+2 vs fear, +2 vs spells, SLA) | Init: +2 | Perc: +12, SM: +4, Low-Light Vision | Speed 35ft | Unattuned 0/3 | Resolve 9/9 | Force Field: HP 10/10 Charges 10/10 | Haste 10/10 | Active conditions: None

Oh, I thought Vek’s DR would have taken some of the damage.

Vek doesn’t bother trying to speak as his suit’s environmental filters clamp down. The brilliant blue glow of his fists can barely be seen through the storm of spores as he swings them in large arcs to burn as much of the mold as possible.

Solar Weapon: 2d10 + 12 ⇒ (2, 4) + 12 = 18
Fire damage, Electric damage: 2d6 + 17 + 1d4 ⇒ (4, 6) + 17 + (4) = 31

Move action to activate Plasma Sheath, standard to attack. Photon-attuned 1/3.


CN Female Half-elf Iconic Envoy 9| Sp: 63/63 | Hp 54/54 | Rp: 10/10 | EAC: 20 , KAC: 20 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +7 (+9 vs enchantment) | Init: +3 | Percep: +14, 12 Metron darkvision | Condition:

I thought we were going to have Prospero jury rig a battery instead of the charge cloak? Oh well.

Astrianna only has a brief moment to panic as her visual feeds, infrared detection, and recording devices all go dark. She is immediately and suddenly overpowered by the most horrible stench she has ever experienced,

She immediately, without any thought put into it, threw up her lunch (A spicy roast beef R2E that was definitely not as good out as it was going in). It was fortunate that spacesuits were built to handle any variety of accidents, at least once, and so as she stumbled out of the mass of white filaments towards anything that wasn't the smell, her suit starts rinsing out the contents of her helmet by running isotonic fluids through the entire apparatus and ejecting it out the emergency exhaust.

The vlogger eventually makes it to the northern portion of the room gasping and heaving, as well as leaving a trail of strangely blue and disturbingly chunky fluid on the floor in her wake.

Move action: Move as far north as possible.

Also, Astrianna can actually supress a variety of condiiions, including nauseated, on allies... but not herself, of course.

2,101 to 2,150 of 2,462 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / All over a bit of Drift Rock All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.