5e Middle Earth Adventures

Game Master Therenger

Guide – Amalina
Scout – Cereidh
Hunter – Gylwinth
Look-out – Findegil

Eastern Eriador Maps
Loot Tracker

THE HUNT: +11
THE VEIL: -3


2,451 to 2,500 of 2,775 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>

HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

"This is our shelter. Let's not one vision, a helpful one for taht matter, set us on a course of misery. These walls still stand. This roof too. They will last us 'til dawn, readily. I say return to sleep and I will continue my watch." replies Gylwinth, the healer quite adamant when it comes to those in her care.


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh stares, like a cat at the shadow of a fly, at the spot where Feredrun stood not long ago. "I am inclined to trust Gylwinth in this," she says. "We do not know how far she can wander, but between here and the caves is longer than I should like to walk in the dark for some safe spot. I am not saying, Amalina, that I trust this turn of events. Only that I don't think leaving her hearth will cause someone so ancient to forget us."

"And if she visits us in dreams," she says a bit wryly, "then hopefully we will know more tomorrow than we know tonight."


Warden(Herald) 7| HP: 35/41 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"The reason we choose here to rest was because Findegil need time to rest and couldn't make it back to the camp you all made. It would be best to give him the rest of the night." Wulfgith spoke up. "As Cereidh said, she'll not forget us just because we moved. She may even take it as an insult and after how things got started I'd rather not risk insulting her any further."


Assuming the party agrees on where to spend the rest of the night, you complete a long rest (yay!). Come morning, what is the course of action?


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Listening to the arguments of her companions, and the silent protest of Winter who simply continues to lay curled next to the fire, Amalina relents with sagging shoulders and a heavy sigh.

"You are all right of course." She say apologetically. "I'm sorry. I'm tired and this place...does not agree with me." Unrolling her blanket, she sits next to the fire trying to warm a chill that won't go away. "Leaving in the morning is of course the best course of action."

She eventually drifts off near the fire until awakened for her watch.

With the light of dawn beginning to brighten the eastern sky, Amalina readies tea and some hotcakes for the group making sure everyone gets a warm meal to start the day. Having eaten, she looks around at the others the question obvious on her face.

"So do we continue our pursuit on into the Ettenmoors or do we return to Rivendell to try and solve Fenedrun's' imprisonment?" She asks. "It would be nice to see the halls of Elrond again, but the spirit also said there was little time, so a delay in the chase worries me."


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

Findegil awakes, refreshed and haler than in what feels an age.

Hearing out Amalina, Findegil adds:

"As she said, time is short. We should pursue the Captain."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth wakes early to prepare breakfast, but finds that Amalina has beaten her to it. She smiles warmly and turns her attention to her ward. He seems fine enough, she thinks as she hears him speak.

Long Rest Reminder:

At the end of a long rest, a character regains all lost hit points. The character also regains spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character's total number of them (minimum of one die).

She comes closer and tends to the fire: "Perhaps. But perhaps we head back to meet Elrond and learn more about this apparition and on how to free her? It sounds as though she has the keys to help us vanquish this Captain. Should we not heed caution and step back a bit, only to jump farther?"


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh pinches her lower lip contemplatively. "We expected to prosecute this fight without her aid to begin with. It would be nice, if Winter could carry a letter on the topic back to Elrond in his jaws while we stay our course!"


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

"Amalina, can Winter do such a thing?"


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Amalina glances down at the dog and thinks for several long moments. Her hand tapping lightly upon the table. Eventually she shakes her head.

"I don't think so. Perhaps, if we were back in the Vales of Anduin and the destination was Rhosgobel, he could." She reaches out to scratch Winter under the chin. "But out here, the land and terrain are not as familiar to him and is much more treacherous in many ways. Nor have we spent much time in and around Rivendell itself to help guide him." She looks down affectionately at the dog. "He would surely be willing to try, but I think that risk is too great and the reward too little. For in some way, it is as Cereidh said. We are no worse off than when we started. This creature has waited ages, if it wished us to succeed quicker, it could have helped us. Instead we find ourselves back on our own, and I'd rather Winter was at our side with his nose for tracking and fierce heart for fighting rather than delivering a message that may do us little in the end."

"I am with Findegil in that we pursue the captain, all of us. Once we've succeeded in thwarting his plans, then we return to Rivendell and seek the council of the wise in regards to this Feredrun."


Warden(Herald) 7| HP: 35/41 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Wulfgith looked at the ground, her hands trailing the string of her bow. "I don't know if I can leave here without finding Swiftkiss." She said with a sigh. "Or at least some sign that... she's no longer with us." Wulfgith spoke.

"As much as I wish to help Feredrun as soon as possible, I agree that if they wished it to go faster they would have helped us. Even if we were very rude." She pointed out. "Let us finish our task here."


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

"It is a plan - and an understandable one! Should anything still be listening to us, believe us in that we have no reason or desire to tarry."


If we're all set, and there's nothing more you wish to do in or around the area of the Keep, Amalina may roll Survival.


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth nods to the others and rallies to the will of the group, glad to for the purpose that fills her heart, for it seems to push away the darkness clawing at her.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

"Wulfgith, if Swiftkiss yet lives, the Captain surely has seized her. Were she free, would she not have rejoined you by now? So take heart, as our pursuit gives her a chance for freedom and reunion."


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Adv. Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

With the decision made, Amalina and Winter spend the morning looking for some sign of the Captain's trail.


Warden(Herald) 7| HP: 35/41 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"I would hope." Wulfgith answered when Findegil asked about Swiftkiss. "But if they took her into those tunnels there is no knowing how she would act... she's never been below the earth before." She sighed. "But she's a bright mare... never underestimate a steed from Rohan."


The company sleeps well enough - the first such sleep in weeks. After breakfast you set out into the dreariness of the Ettendales. At least it's not raining... yet.

It takes Amalina most of the morning to find a track in the washed out mud of the hillside surrounding the Keep. It's not until she backtracks southeast along the gorge that she finds evidence of recently trampled underbrush, and a few hundred yards later, atop the ravine edge, she finds a faint trail of orc footfalls, enough to point the direction - north.

Amalina, roll Embarkation, still 1d12+3+1, I think.


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Embarkation: 1d12 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 1 = 15


GM Stuff:
Fyi, I will be taking the advice of the Player's Guide and rolling Journey events secretly.

Well now, that is an interesting result...

Findegil, roll Perception with advantage.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 201d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Finally uncovering the likely trail, Amalina breathes a sigh of relief since she was starting to wonder if this Captain really was a ghost who left not trace of his passing. But fortunately she and Winter were not stymied quite so easily. Having spotted the narrow track along the ravine she leads the group north further into the jagged granite hills and narrow soggy valleys of ancient Arnor.


By light of day you ascend the steep crag, taking great care along the scree, and at last reach the north rim of the great crevasse which seems to wind directly at the Numenorean keep of old. You marvel at it one last time, realizing now its true purpose: that of a headstone marking the grave of an undying spirit, sentenced to languish deep below the hill for thousands of years. Until only just now, when it is given new purpose. But what of that purpose? Your time with it was unfortunately squandered, and you do not know. Perhaps you will meet it again someday. Up the ridge you climb to the northeast, leaving the sullen Keep as sentinel behind you.

It was cold last night, cold enough to freeze the first inch of muddy earth under hard frost. You would have been miserable sleeping outside - it is well that good sense prevailed. And now the cold gives your footing solid purchase - a blessing indeed. Soon the Coldfells vanish behind you, and before sunset you crest a high moor, and the landscape of the Ettendales reveals itself in full. Dozens of miles of rocky, windswept moors crisscrossed by narrow but fast-running streams weave into the distance; it is at once exhilarating and ominous, for there is beauty in its terrible severity, and you must cross it.

The company descends another three miles before dusk settles hard across the freezing valley. By luck, the winds have shifted, the wet westerlies give way to a clear, calm breeze from the north. By night the stars shine brightly, and you are able to shelter in a natural hollow under rock, and start a small fire to huddle around.

Three days pass like this. All day the sky is bright, the air crisp, the footing solid, and the game abundant enough to survive. You almost wonder what you did to deserve such good weather, and each night the western horizon glows a clear orange, and then there are stars.

Your quarry generally follows a path parallel to the Hoarwell, a few miles on your left; you can see the canyon whenever you crest one of the endless moors. Five days into your journey, you feel invigorated, healthy, clear of mind, your spirits unburdened. The trek is actually doing your bodies good, and the incurably good weather exalts you.

Everyond remove 1 temporary shadow point. If you have no temp Shadow Points, gain Inspiration.

On the sixth day, as the river and the trail weave northeast, Findegil gets the sense that you may have company other than the occasional wild animal. He catches a fleeting glance at the corner of his vision, but when he chases it, whatever it was is disappeared. Perhaps it is nothing, but all throughout that day he feels as though the group is being shadowed.


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth enjoys her time back on the road, the little things like feeling the wind on her face or the breathless joy of reaching a peak and being rewarded with new vistas.

She mostly cooks and helps with hunting small game as they journey, and each night, she signs with the others as the sun sets.

When Findegil suddenly becomes alert, she understands and reacts immediately. All the while, she remembered where they were going. She is only grateful for the few days of respite granted.


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Peering back one last time at the broken ruins of Feredrun's prison, Amalina can't help but feel a lifting of her spirit and heart at leaving the miserable place behind. So much death and darkness from it's former inhabitants, but also dredged up from within her own mind. Things she thought had been put well behind her crawled back to the surface like some vile shadow worm. And yet, perhaps the spilling of so much blood and coming so near to death was a cleansing as well. A descent into darkness only to burst back to the surface with a more pure mind and a heart filled with a clearer purpose.

Indeed, her desire to continuing hunting the allies of the shadow and drive it from wherever it lurks in the land is stronger than ever. So that others would not suffer the same dark experiences as she and her companions. Her hand taps the haft of Hopes Fury, the cleaned and oiled axe hanging at her side. Always a sturdy tool, but now the blade symbolized much more, at least within her own heart. A gleaming blade of hope against the dark. It was only fitting that sense emerging from the caverns and that last fell night, that the weather had turned bright and sunny. Her emerald eyes follow Winter's bouncing tail as he trots along the trail, tongue happily flapping as he pants from the welcome warmth of the midday sun. The big hound passing on his own lesson of simply enjoying the moment and the blessing of a beautiful day in a vast lovely landscape that few have really experienced in recent memory.

Finding herself free of her own dark thoughts, opens her mind to the puzzle of Feredrun. Her mind bounces back and forth from pity over the creature's plight, to horror at the existence it has been forced to lead, to concern about freeing such a powerful spirit that has lived under the eye of the dark lord and been imprisoned in such a place for so many lifetimes of Men. Could it truly be trusted to simply leave? Yet, what is the purpose of keeping it here where another like this Captain can potentially twist the spirit to their own dark bidding? If the ancient Numenoreans couldn't deal with the spirit, how were they expected to? Perhaps their quarry held the key, after all, he somehow compels the spirit now. Surely this is a matter for Gandalf or Elrond and the elves of Rivendell. She simply didn't have the knowledge to solve such a puzzle, yet despite her misgivings, she'd not forget her promise to seek an answer, even if she had to journey back to Rhosgobel and consult with Radagast, who always seemed to know the oddest bits and pieces of ancient lore. No matter how obscure.

Settling in to camp after nearly a weeks worth of uneventful travel, Amalina's heeds Findegil's warnings. Although neither she nor Winter can find any sign of pursuit, she trusts the knights instincts.

"We've journeyed far without trouble." She says while blowing gently on the tinder to help the newborn flames grow. "It wouldn't surprise me if our luck was about to take a turn. I suggest we double our watches tonight, because it's most likely to strike in the darkness if whatever follows us is a threat." Carefully feeding the fire with the precious wood gathered during the day, it doesn't take long before there's a bit of warmth to fend off the growing cold as the sun slips below the horizon.

Pulling her ever-present kettle from her pack she begins her routine of adding a few precious leaves to the water for tea. Her eyes frowning at the dwindling stock.

"Gylwinth, I've little knowledge of this lands plants and herbs, but I've seen your skill with such things. Perhaps as we travel you could point out some plants that could be used to supplement my shrinking stock of leaves?" She says hopefully to the only true native of this land among their small group.


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

"I have no disagreement with your caution; double watches may well be wise."


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth smiles and says to Amalina: "The plants have many secrets, and I know but a few of them, but I will gladly share those with you. It might be that we find some very useful ones that I need for my kit. In most cases, the plants require special care in their collection, storage, and, more importantly, treatment, for their true power often only reveals itself under specific transformations. But yes, I will."

"I'm happy to take two shifts. I'll sleep better during the other ones!" she adds.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

Shadow: 2+2

Findegil was more at ease out on the trek. At least, until now.

"Aye, Amalina. That is a wise suggestion."


Warden(Herald) 7| HP: 35/41 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

As the days slowly went on a knot that had formed in Wulfgith's stomach only grew. The long she was away from Swiftkiss the worse she felt. She hadn't been apart from her since the moment the mare cam into this world. Swiftkiss was sired by her father's own steed, Snowmane and was one of the last things Wulfgith had as a connection to her father not to mention Rohan. While moving Wulfgith wanted to call out to Swiftkiss but doing so... it could put many more in danger. Calling attention to them could make everything much worse, and the group had already defied the odds once... Wulfgith wasn't eager to test that again so soon.

"Two shifts sounds wise." Wulfgith spoke up. However then she fell silent again.


It is a good night for double shifts. Time passes slowly as your senses strain under the starry sky, but intermittently you all find time for quiet conversation, and your bonds strengthen. Past midnight, patchy clouds blot the stars, and over the next hour completely obscure the celestial expanse. Then it begins to snow. There is not a breath of wind, and the flakes fall straight and fat. It is easy to dust off and would be good for snowballs. The very idea seems ludicrous, but such have the past few days progressed as if in a dream, that all of your moods are at near lifetime highs. You have found true peace in desolation.

But the journey leads onward, and by break of day you see plainly what the inches of snow has done to the trail. It is lost, but you have a good heading, and as long as the Hoarwell winds lazily northeast, you feel confident you are still following in the footsteps of your quarry.

For another two days you continue on, and Findegil is no longer bothered by the sense of something watching or shadowing the company. Then the third day from the night of the snow he senses it again, and there is a shadow in the gully that disappears when you look directly at it. A short diversion to track it down reveals the footprints of a man! A very large man.

Drawing weapons, the company carefully tracks the prints. For a mile they wind along the gully, then bend up over the moor. You track them there and they abruptly stop - but where is this man?


"An Elf of Thranduil's Court in the highlands? That is a strange sight." You all turn at once to see the man standing atop a rocky perch above you some twenty feet. He is young, but very tall. Wearing a cloak of furs, he would blend perfectly in with the landscape, and even now it is difficult to discern where his frame ends and the clouded sky begins. As he draws back his hood, a mane of dark hair frames a square face, severe if not for its youthfulness. It is unclear if he is armed, as his cloak protects against your view.

"And a Dunedain, a Woodwoman, a Lady of the Rohirrim, and a Knight of Gondor. Such a company has rarely been assembled in the whole history of Middle-Earth, and never by chance. Are you following an orc north? If so, I killed it three days ago, on the eve of the snows. It said only two words: Mount Gram. Is that where you want to go?"

Perception, DC12:
His manner is calm, and though he expresses the supreme confidence of a young man in his prime, he does not exude arrogance, but rather a genuine interest.

Shadow Lore, DC20:
Mount Gram was the base of an Orc Kingdom two centuries ago, from which most of northern Eriador was conquered.


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Spinning at the sound of the voice, Amalina leaves off her puzzling of the trail to listen to this mysterious creature that has suddenly appeared before them.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Seeing the man doesn't seem to pose any immediate threat, she calls Winter to sit by her side and then offers him a polite bow.

"I am Amalina of Rhosgobel and this is Winter." She says patting the hounds head before gesturing to each of the others. "These are my good companions, Findegil, Gylwinth, Wulfgith and Cereidh. We do indeed seek someone going north. However, I do not believe he is an orc, but a man who we only know as the Captain. You should know this man is no friend to the Free Peoples, but consorts with and deems himself a leader of, trolls, orcs, and desperate men. We have been tasked by those good folk in Rivendell to bring his shadow born hopes to an end."

Tilting her head to the side, slightly puzzled and curious. "I've not heard of this Mount Gram? Is it likely our quarry is heading there?"

Shadow Lore: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Shadow-Lore: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

Findegil had remained silent for some long moments, as if weighing up the sight before him.

He then nods.

"I am Findegil, son of Durothil, a knight of Minas Tirith as well you surmised. I imagine that it was you that I sensed following us these three days past. I have heard of Mount Gram. Two centuries ago, the seat of orcish conquerers of the lion's share of northern Eriador. We seek a figure, a self-styled "captain" and his - or its - followers. Do the forces of shadow gather at Mount Gram then?"


Warden(Herald) 7| HP: 35/41 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Shadow Lore: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16

Arrow met string at the first of the sound however when it swiftly came to pass that this was no enemy, Wulfgith returned her arrow to it's quiver.

"I am Wulfgith, daughter of Wulf." She said respectfully. "From the look of you, I'd say you keep to these parts right? Have you seen a steed come through these parts? Grey roan with a white blaze up her face, two black stockings on her back legs, and two white socks on the back?"


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Shadow Lore: 1d20 ⇒ 17


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

"I may be a strange sight in the highlands," Cereidh says, unbothered, and sketching a very shallow bow to their visitor, watching him with guarded welcome. "But as you yourself are far too large to be a shrub and far too lively to be a bit of rock, I would turn the accusation upon you, good sir. I thank you for dealing with our escaped quarry for us - but what has brought you this way? If you are hunting, I can only apologize for driving an orc before us instead of a more likely hare or deer."


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Shadow Lore: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

"I am Gylwinth and pleased to meet you. You speak of Mount Gram... This would be a likely destination for an Orc, for this used to be a mighty Orc fortress in ages past. Perhaps its shadow stirs still... How should we call you?"


The man jumps down from his perch atop the rock, a feat of athleticism he makes look effortless. As he rises among you his full height is revealed. He stands a full head taller than Findegil, and nearly as broad of shoulder. His face is strikingly handsome - beautiful, even.

He bows his head to the company. "You invoke my Father's house, Amalina of Rhosgobel." Then, to Gylwinth, he says, "I am Estel of Imladris, and I have heard rumor of one known as "The Captain." Indeed, Mount Gram may once have served as the citadel for a horde of Orcs which ravaged this barren land, but now I sense the evil is rekindled within."

He turns to Cereidh. "Since the winds of Autumn swept over this land I have explored the moors and crags, and I have watched giants travel in the distance, ever northward. A week ago I spotted this lone orc traveling the path along the canyon edge, its pace quickened as if spooked, or carrying a message of importance. When finally I captured it, the wretched creature was dumb with fright, and would say only its likely destination, which I have suspected now for many weeks."

Then, addressing Wulfgith, "I have seen hoofprints in the mud from more than two weeks past. The snows have obscured all track, but with it was a caravan of other creatures, orcs and something much larger. Perhaps that is the one known as The Captain. I did not see it with my own eyes, but your steed did travel this way, Lady Wulfgith."

Finally, he turns to Findegil. "We share a common purpose, it seems, though for me it has come about by chance, and for you, at my Father's direction." Estel looks to the east and a knowing smile comes to the corner of his mouth.

All characters roll Wisdom save, DC15:
Failure: You are awestruck by Estel's mere presence; the way he carries himself, his calm confidence, and his command, especially from someone so young and vigorous, stirs a powerful reaction in your heart. Hetero female characters are enchanted by his power and beauty. Success: You sense this young man comes from a long line of great importance, and his tutelage under Elrond is evidenced in his demeanor and command. You may wonder how a Man would come to be raised by Elrond Half-Elven.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

Wisdom Save DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Findegil nods in agreement.

"We do indeed seem to have common purpose, Estel of Imladris. Let us march upon Mount Gram."

Traditions on what Findegil knows of Estel of Imladris and his line: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Findegil wrote:
[dice=Traditions on what Findegil knows of Estel of Imladris and his line]1d20 + 5

You can only guess, but feel free to do so in Dialog, if you prefer.


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

"I do not mean to be skeptical of the use of the information you have already given me - for I am not - but do you know anything else of Mount Gram, from your wanderings? Do you know of an approach most likely to bring us to it unnoticed?"

Wisdom Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Traditions check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Wisdom save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Son of Elrond? A man?! thinks Gylwinth to herself.

Lore: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


If you're rolling Lore, also tell me what you hope to recall. It is impossible for any of you to know more of Estel than what he has told you. You may entertain suspicions, but that is all. If you want to ask him a question, keep it within those parameters.


Warden(Herald) 7| HP: 35/41 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Wisdom: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Wulfgith let out a long sigh, happy to hear some form of good news but it wasn't as happy as she had hoped. For now it was something to hold onto and she'd take it.

Though after a moment of letting that settle in, Wulfgith's mind to turn Estel. With a slightly raise eyebrow she asked "Lord Elrond has a child that chose the way of the mortal?" Wulfgith asked a bit surprised. "Well, that would explain a great deal... After all my mother trusted him enough to send me to ask for his wisdom. But, I was sure that Lord Elrond was married to Lady Celebrían. Daughter of Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel." Thought she paused for a moment and explained. "My mother is Calanril of Lórien. I was raised within their court for a time after my father died. My mother didn't feel comfortable in Rohan after he passed."

"This isn't to be insulting but, how could Lord Elrond have a child who is mortal?" Wulfgith asked Estel.

Tradition(To see if she know if Elrond has a non-elven son): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 60/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Wisdom: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Amalina's body tingles and her heart pounds in her chest as she watches the tall, dark, athletic warrior leap down from the rocks. Unable to do anything but stare while her mind races in directions and ways she hasn't felt since...well since she was a much younger woman.


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Thanks for the clarification. Gylwinth was trying to remember if she had ever heard of Estel.

Gylwinth stays back and, for now, is happy to listen to the others converse with the son of Imladris.


Wulfgith, you cannot know about Estel's origin, but I'll apply your Tradition roll to the knowledge of Elrond's family tree, to the extent that you have described it.

Estel casts a puzzled look at Wulfgith. "Daughter of Calanril, you are mortal, are you not? And yet my father is half-elven as well. I would not presume to know why one of mixed-blood has the gift of immortality while another does not."

Then, returning to the matter at hand he says, "I have not looked upon the mountain with my own eyes, as it is often shrouded in dark clouds, and my vantage was from afar. Few have seen it who have returned to tell of it, and fewer still live this day. Glorfindel is one, but few others. To get to Mount Gram, one must approach from the south, as you are attempting, and then trespass the Broadcleave around the headwaters of the Hoarwell. It is a bottleneck and an easy site for an ambush.

"Or you might double-back and cross the Hoarwell at the Last Bridge, two weeks journey south, and then venture north through the Lone Lands. And if neither of those options suits you, you could cross the mountains to the east and come all the way around Mount Gundabad, through the Grey Wastes, approaching Mount Gram from the north. There are no good options, but perhaps the one you are already pursuing is the fastest."


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7, Arrows 6 -> 0 | HP: 73/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 2/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Exhaustion 1

"I say that we advance along this route and approach Mount Gram from the south. We may be ambushed anywhere, this way offers us swiftness."


HP 26/53 | AC 13 | Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +5 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Nah | HD 6/6 Shadow 1 | Status: Normal | Arrows 4; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 4/7 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth nods: "There seems, from your description, no point in going around. Why offer us options that would threaten our reaching our goal, stranger?" asks Gylwinth with a clear emphasis. She wanted to make it clear that there was no such thing as freely given trust in places such as these. She also wanted to know more about the man and how he reacted to challenges.

Insight: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


Gylwinth of the Crimson Moon wrote:

Gylwinth nods: "There seems, from your description, no point in going around. Why offer us options that would threaten our reaching our goal, stranger?" asks Gylwinth with a clear emphasis. She wanted to make it clear that there was no such thing as freely given trust in places such as these. She also wanted to know more about the man and how he reacted to challenges.

[dice=Insight]1d20+9

Estel is an enigma. You know only what he has told you. Whether or not you choose to trust him is up to you.

2,451 to 2,500 of 2,775 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Gathering of the Council of the North All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.