5e Middle Earth Adventures

Game Master Therenger

Guide – Amalina
Scout – Cereidh
Hunter – Gylwinth
Look-out – Findegil

Eastern Eriador Maps
Loot Tracker

THE HUNT: +8
THE VEIL: +1


2,101 to 2,150 of 2,395 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

Round 4 Recap

GM Stuff:
1d20 ⇒ 61d20 ⇒ 16

Seeing one of his fellow bandits flee the fight, another man disentangles himself from the action and runs.

Cereidh squars and lances into the troll again, bravely holding her ground against the monster despite her deep wounds.
Bron takes 4+4 damage!

Findegil attacks with renewed fury, his blade twice scoring the stony hide of the troll!
Penn takes 8+12 damage!

Bron lashes out with his teeth and weapon at the elven warrior!
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, miss
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, miss

The lead swordsman turns to counter his axe-wielding assailant, but his blows cannot penetrate her armor.
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15, miss
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13, miss

The final bandit (2) lashes out against Findegil, Broadsword: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12, but also misses.

Amalina's axe is an intrument of destruction, hacking chunks of flesh from the lead swordsman!
Lead Swordsman takes 22+20 damage!

The monster Penn wrestles with Findegil, but cannot bypass his shield.
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15, miss
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13, miss

Wulfgith's sword connects with the flesh of the troll, but the blade does not pierce it's hide.

Gylwinth lays hands on Cereidh, and healing energy restores the Elf.

Damage Roundup
Amalina has taken 4 damage!
Cereidh has taken 31 damage!
Findegil has taken 48 damage!
Gylwinth
Winter has taken 11 Damage!
Wulfgith
Gorzim is DEAD!
Bron has taken 8 damage.
Penn has taken 20 damage.
Lead Swordsman has taken 42 damage.
Bandit 1 is fleeing from combat.
Bandit 2
Bandit 3 is fleeing from combat.

Round 5 - You Are Up!


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Longsword Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

"Is is all too obvious that I normally use a bow?" Wulfgith asked as she stabbed at Penn once again, trying to put more force into the attack to push through the touch skin.


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

"My heart is the stronger for such doughty companions," Cereidh says to Gylwinth, not taking her eyes off Bron but nodding in salute to her words, circling her quarry just slightly to shield the Dunedain healer.

"Thank you. Guard yourself and those others we guard, my friend."

Cereidh continues to press her attack, unwilling to turn her back to Bron even if this was not already clearly a matter of life and death.

Broadsword Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Broadsword Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth smiles as her friends evade the trolls’ onslaught. She continues to circle the melee and gets to Findegil, soothing his heart with a word and a hand on his shoulder: "The sun of Gondor! Blind these creatures of darkness!"

Healing Hand on Findegil: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (7, 4) + 3 = 14


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7 | HP: 17/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 7/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Frightened

Reinvigorated by Gylwinth's touch and words, Findegil strikes at Penn, adding:

"You are of the Shadow, without the wit to see your doom!"

Longsword vs Penn (with Winter advantage?): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 91d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Longsword vs Penn (with Winter advantage?): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 191d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

AOO:

Longsword vs Penn (with Winter advantage?): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 161d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 24/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Amalina continues to duel the swordsman while Winter helps Findegil try to take down the troll.

Axe Attack #1 vs Swordsman: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Axe Attack #2 vs Swordsman: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Round 5 Recap

GM Stuff:
1d20 ⇒ 19

Cereidh fights valiantly, hitting Bron again!
Bron takes 8+4 damage!

Findegil slashes at Penn, his blade lancing the troll's tough hide.
Penn takes 20+5 damage!

Bron's savage teeth clamp around Cereidh's shoulder, while his maul crashes against her, knocking her unconscious and slipping toward death!
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21, Damage: 2d4 + 4 ⇒ (1, 3) + 4 = 8
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21, Damage: 2d10 + 4 ⇒ (9, 9) + 4 = 22
Cereidh takes 31+30 damage!

The lead swordsman finally draws blood against Amalina.
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23, Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16, miss
Amalina takes 4+5 damage!

The brave final bandit (2) lashes out against Findegil, Broadsword: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7, but misses again.

Amalina's continues to strike against the lead swordsman, connecting another blow.
Lead Swordsman takes 42+7 damage!

The monster Penn wrestles with Findegil, but cannot bypass his shield.
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, miss
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21, miss

Wulfgith's sword connects with the flesh of the troll, but the blade does not pierce it's hide.

Gylwinth lays hands on Findegil, and healing energy restores the Knight.

Damage Roundup
Amalina has taken 9 damage!
Cereidh is unconscious!
Findegil has taken 34 damage!
Gylwinth
Winter has taken 11 Damage!
Wulfgith
Gorzim is DEAD!
Bron has taken 12 damage.
Penn has taken 25 damage.
Lead Swordsman has taken 49 damage.
Bandit 1 is fleeing from combat.
Bandit 2
Bandit 3 is fleeing from combat.

Cereidh, make a Death Saving Throw.

Round 6 - You Are Up!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Wulfgith saw Cereidh go down and the face her blade couldn't seem to push through this creature's thick skin, she turned her attention to Bron. The Rider stepped up to protect the fallen elven woman's body till Gylwinth could get to her.

Longsword attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Danage: 1d8 ⇒ 8


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7 | HP: 17/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 7/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Frightened

Seeing Cereidh fall, Findegil calls out as he continues to stave off Penn:

"Gylwinth, Cereidh requires your aid!"

Longsword vs Penn (with Winter advantage): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 241d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Longsword vs Penn (with Winter advantage): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 111d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

21 damage total

AOO:

Longsword vs Penn (with Winter advantage): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 141d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth shouts in despair as Cereidh is cut down, cursing fate for playing so with her. Quickly, she retreats back to the fallen warrior and sings softly by her side, caressing her hair while Wulfgith stands guard over them.

"All is not lost, Cereidh of the long arrow. There is hope left in your heart. Find it and let it fill you with the strength to fight on, lest we all fall..."

Hand of the healer: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (5, 2) + 3 = 10


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 24/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Amalina continues to duel with the swordsman but is unable to break through his defenses. Winter keeps harassing the troll in an effort to help Findegil bring him down.

Axe Attack Swordsman: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Axe Attack #2 vs Swordsman: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Round 6 Recap

GM Stuff:
1d20 ⇒ 15

Findegil slashes twice more at Penn, his blade lancing the troll's tough hide.
Penn takes 25+10 damage!

Having battered the Elf unconscious, Bron, turns his fangs on the stout female warrior lashing at his side.
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20, Damage: 2d4 + 4 ⇒ (4, 2) + 4 = 10
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, miss
Wulfgith takes 10 damage!

The lead swordsman cuts into Amalina with another deep slash!
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15, miss
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24, Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Amalina takes 9+11 damage!

Undeterred, the brave final bandit (2) lashes out against Findegil, Broadsword: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7, but misses again.

Amalina's axe, covered in the red blood of her enemy, slips from her hand and her assault is temporarily stalled.

The monster Penn wrestles with Findegil, but cannot bypass his shield.
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8, miss
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15, miss

Wulfgith finally cuts through Bron's natural armor hide, spilling black blood.
Bron takes 12+4 damage!

Gylwinth lays hands on Cereidh, and healing energy revives the Elf.

Damage Roundup
Amalina has taken 20 damage!
Cereidh has taken 42 damage!
Findegil has taken 34 damage!
Gylwinth
Winter has taken 11 Damage!
Wulfgith
Gorzim is DEAD!
Bron has taken 16 damage.
Penn has taken 35 damage.
Lead Swordsman has taken 49 damage.
Bandit 1 is fleeing from combat.
Bandit 2
Bandit 3 is fleeing from combat.

Round 7 - You Are Up!


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"Didn't anyone tell you not to bite!" Wulfgith shouted at Bron as she brought her sword down again. "Down! Down!"

Longsword Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 5


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7 | HP: 17/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 7/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Frightened

Glad that the elf will live, Findegil can focus on bringing down one more foul troll.

Longsword vs Penn with advantage from Winter: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Longsword vs Penn with advantage from Winter: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 251d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

AOO:

Longsword with advantage from Winter if Penn: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 101d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

17 damage total

@GM: Is the troll's hide visibly resisting Findegil's blows? It didn't seem to take full damage from his last round of attacks going by the numbers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

These two trolls have resistance to both slashing and piercing damage, hence these two comments the first times the party hit them:

Cereidh's attack scores the next troll, but what felt like a solid strike is resisted by the stony hide of the monster.
Bron takes 4 damage!

Findegil finds his blows similarly thwarted, cutting only half as deep as a normal slash might go.
Penn takes 8 damage!


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh's eyes flutter open and she coughs out blood and shock, taking in Gylwinth's features above her - aware even in her dazed state that the gentle touch on her hair belongs to her friend. Her eyes go to Wulfgith standing guard over her and the healer. Her eyes don't blaze with hate, even seeing the savage troll beyond Wulfgith - exhaustion and gratitude for her second chance beat it down.

She squeezes Gylwinth's hand in reassurance, but she knows that she hasn't barred the door to death yet. Should she be able to, she'll crawl away from Bron - not standing from prone until she has made enough distance to stagger up and flee to some cover from behind which she can rejoin the battle with her bow.

With shaking but sure hands Cereidh raises her bow to shoot at the bandit engaged with Amalina.

Bregghar Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Bregghar Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Tell me if this is possible with the current battlefield. Cereidh will prioritize disengaging from melee and getting to somewhere safer without provoking attacks of opportunity before bringing her bow back into play; this round or the next.


You may Disengage but you'll have to leave the room to exit melee. You may attack using your bow with Disadvantage.


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Gylwinth stays by Cereidh’s side and with her dagger tries to help Wulfgith in her fight to stand their ground.

Help action to give advantage to Wulfgith.


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Bregghar Attack at Disadvantage: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 24/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Axe Attack vs. Swordsman: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Axe Attack vs. Swordsman: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Amalina tries again to bring the swordsman down while letting Winter help against the tough troll.

Total 8 damage to Swordsman.


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Don't want the Help action to get lost, so I'm posting Wulfgith's advantage in case. Note, I've taken the bonuses stated earlier in the thread, which seem to be different than the ones on the character sheet. I think it should be +3 instead of +5. I would suggest using a dagger instead of a sword, if one is available. I made a comment in ooc about the bonuses to check if I'm missing something.

Wulfgith's Longsword Attack Advantage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 231d8 ⇒ 8


Please respect player agency. In this situation, if a player has not returned to the thread to update her action, I'll manage it - the help action will not be lost. With regard to Wulfgith's to-hit bonus with a longsword, I see only her proficiency bonus of +3. I may also be missing some bit of 5E goodness, but your comment about finesse weapons is spot-on. Round results to follow.


Round 7 Recap

GM Stuff:
1d20 ⇒ 12

With a bit of confidence gained from the group's healer, Findegil rakes the troll twice more!
Penn takes 35+8 damage!

Bron bores his razor-sharp teeth into Wulfgith's flesh!
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23, Damage: 2d4 + 4 ⇒ (1, 2) + 4 = 7
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16, miss
Wulfgith takes 10+7 damage!

The lead swordsman cuts into Amalina with another deep slash!
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22, Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Longsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19, Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Amalina takes 20+9 damage!

Stout but overmatched, the last bandit (2) lashes out against Findegil, Broadsword: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9, but misses yet again.

Amalina penetrates the lead swordsman's defense, cleaving him with a mighty swing of her axe!
Lead swordsman takes 49+8 damage and dies!

The monster Penn wrestles with Findegil, but cannot bypass his shield.
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17, miss
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10, miss

Despite Gylwinth's distraction, Wulfgith cannot string consecutive blows against the terrible troll.
Attack Advantage: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Gylwinth moves in to fluster Bron, providing Wulfgith with a better angle of attack.

Damage Roundup
Amalina has taken 29 damage!
Cereidh has taken 42 damage!
Findegil has taken 34 damage!
Gylwinth
Winter has taken 11 Damage!
Wulfgith has taken 17 damage!
Gorzim is DEAD!
Bron has taken 16 damage.
Penn has taken 43 damage.
Lead Swordsman is dead.
Bandit 1 is fleeing from combat.
Bandit 2
Bandit 3 is fleeing from combat.

Round 8 - You Are Up!


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh fires again at the bandit engaged with Amalina, hoping to end her battle quickly.

Bregghar Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Bregghar Attack Disadvantage: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Bregghar Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Sorry I only hand a small amount of time yesterday as it was Valentine's day to post and I couldn't get to all my games. Also you're correct, I grabbed the wrong number the first time and then just kept looking at the last time I rolled and used the same bonus. I'm not as familiar with 5E as I'd like to be so there is still some growing pains. Most of my groups only like Pathfinder. If the GM will allow I will keep the roll Gylwinth made. Also I can't use the dagger because Wulfgith doesn't have the rest of her gear yet! She is using the sword and bow you all have her from the other fallen guard. If GM doesn't allow I'll put the reroll below.

Advantage Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 2


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 24/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

As the human bandit leader falls, Amalina turns to the troll Penn and works with Winter's help to try and bring the creature down.

Axe Attack vs Bandit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Adv. Axe Attack vs Penn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Axe Attack 2 vs Penn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Adv. Axe Attack 2 vs Penn: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 Plus Wulfgith's d6 1d6 ⇒ 6 Total 21 to hit
1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Not sure what the AC number is, so total of 20 potential damage before resistance is taken into account.


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)
GM Therenger wrote:
Please respect player agency. In this situation, if a player has not returned to the thread to update her action, I'll manage it - the help action will not be lost. With regard to Wulfgith's to-hit bonus with a longsword, I see only her proficiency bonus of +3. I may also be missing some bit of 5E goodness, but your comment about finesse weapons is spot-on. Round results to follow.

Ok, got it. Sorry about that.

The battle seemed to turn, or at least seemed on the edge of turning. "Press on, friends! I can hear the air shiver in tune with the fear growing in the heart of the enemy. We will prevail on this day!"

And as she speaks, she move to help Findegil who is fighting troll and bandit: "Friend, let me give a hand with this cutpurse. Mayhaps he will, with a last beating of his heart, see his error and reach out for redemption?"

Dagger: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 231d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Dagger off-hand: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 131d4 ⇒ 2


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"I hope you're right." Wulfgith called out, as her wounds were starting to weigh heavily upon her. "What did I say about the biting?!"

Longsword attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 2


Wulfgith wrote:
If GM doesn't allow I'll put the reroll below.

I'll take your roll and add a point of damage to the troll.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7 | HP: 17/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 7/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Frightened

Findegil

Longsword vs Penn with advantage from Winter: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Critical Damage: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 5) + 5 = 16

Longsword vs Penn with advantage from Winter: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 201d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Total of 24 damage done to Penn by Findegil

AOO:

Longsword (if vs Penn, advantage from Winter: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 211d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Round 8 Recap

Findegil brings his sword crashing down on the defiant troll, and with two great strikes, the troll bellows and collapses in a heap!
Penn takes 43+12 damage and dies!

Bron sees his comrade fall, and his wits are shaken. He clamors at Wulfgith but comes up empty.
Bite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9, miss
Maul: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9, miss

The last bandit watches his leader get cleaved nearly in half, and decides now is a good time to run away. Disengage and move.

The company turns its collective ire against the remaining troll and quickly dispatch it. All the bandits have run off into the night.

Combat over!


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"So... are we going after them?" Wulfgith asked as she pointed the sword after the group that was breaking and running. "... Nah... they'll be fine right?" She added.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7 | HP: 17/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 7/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Frightened

Findegil looks about him warily, even though no foe remains in the fight. His wounds ache but he has plenty of fight left in him.

"A hard-won victory! We should search this place. I have little interest in pursuing those who can spread word of the Shadow's weakness."


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

"Yes, but let's make peace with those who chose not to side with the Enemy. I will go and free the ones on the roof." offers Gylwinth as she staggers against a wall to catch her breath.

She gives the room a long look. Corpses lying around, and the smell of blood and worse filling the air... When shadows creep up on your doorstep, and words find no purchase, is there another path than violence, she wonders.


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh cautiously ducks back out from whatever cover she'd found.

"Gylwinth, I would go with you, in case our fortune turns again."


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 24/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Breathing heavily, Amalina's arms drop to her side as the last foe falls or flees. Covered in blood, both hers and the enemies, she shakily does the basics to tend to Winter's wounds and then her own.

"See if those men know where Wulfgith's gear is stored and her horse stabled?" She says to Gylwinth and Cereidh when the two mention freeing the prisoners.

Limping over to Gorzim's fallen body, she grimly performs the task of searching the big troll's body for any clues to the Captain's plans, identity or anything else that might be of use to her or her companions. She then does the same with the other fallen trolls and the bandit leader.

Seeing every member of the party cut, bruised, and tired, see looks over to Findegil and Wulfgith. "Hard won indeed." She says, wincing at a gash running across her ribs. "But we're going to need to find someplace to rest for a while before we can continue tracking this enemy."

She looses herself in thought for a moment or two. "Based on that ancient map and my own reckoning, I think I know where we are. And as luck would have it, I know of a place not far from here where we can rest in relative safety and comfort for a day or two." She rubs her chin thoughtfully. "It isn't much. An old Dunedain crofthouse tucked in a sheltered glade just a little further up river. Gondril showed me the place over the summer and mentioned how it is often used by scouts and rangers seeking some rest and peace in these dangerous lands."

Invoking the Known Lands ability to know of a place where we can safely take a long rest once we are ready to leave.


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)
Cereidh wrote:

Cereidh cautiously ducks back out from whatever cover she'd found.

"Gylwinth, I would go with you, in case our fortune turns again."

"I am glad for your presence. This place... These men... The Shadow seeps through men’s despair like ink on paper."

As she reaches the bound men upstairs, she says to them: "The trolls and your former master are no longer a threat. So what say you, men? How do you see your future?"

Insight: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"We could rest here." Wulfgith said. "As much as I would hate remaining here for yet another night, it is a roof over our heads and if we get in the right area easy to defend." She added.

"And when it comes to my things, I shall join you in that hunt if it is all the same." Wulfgith said as she looked to Cereidh and Gylwinth. "There are some personal things I very much wish to recover."


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh nods in agreeable acknowledgement to Wulfgith; when they reach the roof and the bound men, she silently makes her approval clear to them by glaring down her nose, silent and fey while covered in blood.

Intimidation: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

"The healer of the Dunedain here is a woman of vast gentleness and clear sight. While she has faith in you, and I have faith in her, our mercy isn't devoid of justice; we will only hold you to doing better in the future, and if you think to try anything underhanded on I or my friends ..."


A search of the tower turns up very little. These men had scant personal belongings and were not treated very well. The Keep seems more like a waypoint through which groups of men occasionally move, but it has not been a permanent strategic fortification in centuries. While not expressly outfitted for comfort, the Keep has now been purged of occupants. The ground floor is a complete mess and smells worse than death, but the upper two floors could easily be made safe should the fleeing bandits return or other monsters intrude.

At the feet of the dead you may take a longsword and a pouch containing 17 silver pennies.

The men on the roof recoil at the sight of Cereidh and Gylwinth, covered in troll blood as you are, glistening from a fresh fight. The Captain of the Watch is barely conscious, and does not respond to your question.

One of the other guards speaks up. "I want no part of this! I was taken into service; just let me go and you'll never see me again." He seems to be telling the truth.

Cereidh knows something the rest of you do not.


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

"I'm glad you feel this way. Now, we have a few questions for you first, then we'll let you go. First, are there any other settlements near here? What places did you attack, where did you lay ambushes? Who were your targets? Finally, we're looking for 'The Captain.' Where do we find him?" Gylwinth asks, using Cereidh as threat compared to what she is offering: freedom, redemption.


The Captain of the Watch coughs and spits. "You really don't know anything, do ya? The Captain's not a man. He's not even a troll, but something else. We never seen 'im - this is just an outpost in his territory. Don't think you need to worry 'bout ambush less'n you plan to track 'im down, in which case yer more a fools than ya look. If you crave death, look for it in the Ettendales."


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

Wulfgith followed the pair to speak with what remained of the group. Though she was quiet so that the other could speak first. However after a moment she felt the itch of things lost. "How about we try a different question. What did you do with my belongings and my horse?" She asked as she crossed her arms. "And I'm going to be nice, because you were at least nice enough to keep your men away from me."


"Look in the cave. Maybe Gorzim didn't eat yer horse."


Warden(Herald) 6| HP: 23/33 AC: 18 Spd: 30ft | Init: +3 Perc: +4 PP:14 | Great Bow: +4 (1d8), Longsword +3 (1d8) | Shadow: 0

"You gave my horse to a troll?!" Wulfgith snapped. "Oooh... you better beg Swiftkiss is still alive, or we're going to have a very big problem." She said before she quickly left to seek the cave and the possible horrors within.


Male of Minas Tirith Warrior (Knight) 7 | HP: 17/73 | Temp HP: 0/8 HD: 7/7| AC 20 (21 with ally) | Spd: 25ft | Init: +2 Perc: +4 PP:14 Ins +1 | Long Sword +8 (1d8+5), Great Bow: +5 (1d8+2) | Shadow: 2+3 Action Surge 1/1 | Second Wind 1/1 | Str +8* Dex +2 Con +6* Int +2 Wis +1 Cha +3 | Inspiration? No | Cond: Frightened

Findegil stands in silent vigil, trying to gauge the man's words.

Insight: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

When Wulfgith makes to leave, Findegil says to her:

"You shall not go alone into a den of trolls, Wulfgith. I shall accompany you."


Female Elf of the Mirkwood Warrior (6) | HP: 10/52 AC: 16 Spd: 30 ft | Init: +4 Perc: +4 PP: 14 | Greatbow: +10 (1d8+4), Broadsword +7 (1d8+4) | Shadow: 2

Cereidh sidles closer to Gylwinth, and nodes in question to the bound men - is she satisfied with their answers, what should they do with them?


I have Wulfgith and Findegil going to find the cave. Cereidh an Gylwinth are on the roof. Amalina - don't know.


Female Woodwoman of Wilderland Wanderer (7) | HP: 24/60| AC:16 | Init: +2 | Per: +6(16) | PB: +3 |Winter(Hound) AC: 15 ; HP: 28/28 | Inspiration: No

Wincing as she moves around the room Amalina puts the spare silver into a small bag. Taking the coin upstairs, she tosses it to Gylwinth.

"The coin from the trolls and those downstairs." She says her voice flat. "I'd say give it to this lot to see them on their way south out of this land. But do with it what you will."

She looks down at the weakened watch captain. For a moment she consider ending the man's misery, but then for just a moment she feels or remember the evil when the Dark One's eye turned upon her. The menace and wicked laughter. The utter unconcern and hatred for those who lived in the world. So instead she kneels down, offers the man some water and does what she can to bind his wounds.

"I'm sorry for our attack. But...but you chose to fight for something that cannot be allowed to flourish in the land." She shakes her head sadly. "Perhaps you will live long enough to learn that siding with trolls, orcs, and the Dark One will bring you nothing but pain and darkness. Perhaps not. Either way, I'll do what I can to see you live long enough to choose for yourself."

Finishing her work, she stands and limps back toward the stairs, her eyes dark and exhausted from the fight. Winter nuzzles her hand softly causing her to smile briefly as she ruffles his neck.

"Aye boy. We'll rest in a bit, but first lets take a look about and see if we can find which way this captain, or whatever he is, scuttled off to."

She then heads back out and does a circuit around the keep's outer wall to try and pick up a trail.

Medicine to Help Bandit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Adv. Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


HP 45/45 | AC 13 | (+1 to skill checks for as long as you are inside the Keep) Acr +2 AnH +3 His +5 Ins +9 Inv +5 Lor +8 Med +8 Perc +3 Rid +5 ShL +2 Stea +2 Sur +6 Tra +4 | Saves: S +0, D +2, C +2, I* +5, W* +6, Ch +0; Res Corr (Wis) Fear | Init +2 | PPerc 13; PInv 15; PIns 19 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 6/6 Shadow 2 | Status: Normal (Feast +1 skill on Journey) | Arrows 38; Bullets 20 | HoaH 2d8+Wis 6/6 (SR) | SchIns 1d6 (LR)

Would Gylwinth, from the roof, see them going to the cave?

2,101 to 2,150 of 2,395 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Gathering of the Council of the North All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.