#4–08: The Cultist's Kiss [Tier 7-8] (Gameday 4) - GM Rutseg (Inactive)

Game Master Balacertar

Subtier 7-8/6 adjustment

Chronicles

Current map

Palin's cove


1 to 50 of 451 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Venture-Captain Sheila Heidmarch’s mission summons brings you to her Magnimarian manor house. When you arrive other pathfinders are already there and the Venture-Captain does not delay her briefing.

Loyal Pathfinders,” the deep-voiced Venture-Captain Sheila Heidmarch says from the end of the long dining table, “our colleagues in Absalom are putting pressure on me to find out more about the forgotten goddess Lissala and her worshipers.

We have searched catacombs and libraries for artifacts and accounts of the faith for centuries, but now that we know the cult is still active here in Varisia, this has become a priority for the Ten.

One of my agents claimed she had uncovered an active cult of Lissala practicing their rites in Palin’s Cove, a few days ride from Korvosa. If she’s correct, this would be an unusual opportunity for us—we could study the goddess and her faith firsthand instead of piecing together information from disparate runes and legends hidden in the dust of a crumbled empire. Find this cult and get to the center of its inner workings. Brute force might get you in the door, but we won’t learn much from a bunch of dead cultists, so infiltrate it if you can. Learn what secrets you can, and get out safely to report your findings to me. I want to know how Lissala’s faith has survived 10 millennia undetected, and what foul plan they’re concocting that has precipitated their resurgence all of a sudden.

I have a man in Palin’s Cove by the name of Gerhart Aldrim. He has arranged lodging and cover identities for you if you need them. Aldrim will expect you at the Baited Hook Inn within the week, and can answer any questions you might have about your mission. Oh, and one last thing: The agent who uncovered the cult has not reported back in some time. So do be careful. Losing one Pathfinder is misfortune; losing an entire team would seem like carelessness.

Feel free to add anything to your presentation. Although most information you will have to check out once at Palin’s Cove, I will give you some time for player interaction. Feel free to roleplay your trip to Palin’s Cove


Mavaro | Male occultist 7 | hp 53/53 33/45 | AC 19, T 12, FF 18 | Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +8 | Abjuration points 0/2 | Divination points 9/9 | Necromancy points 1/1 | Transmutation points 0/3 | Init +1 | Perception +14

Dot.

"Ah, I once knew a woman named Lissala. Lovely girl, though she had more fingers than one would expect... come to think of it, more toes as well. She was quite the minx, though! Had an amazing night together then she snuck off with one of my wands... had to chase the girl around town for hours to get it back. Gave her a right whipping after that, though I didn't pay for that one in gold..."

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

Kleetus nods throughout the entire presentation, only to ask as the Venture Captain concludes: "Ah didn't understand all o' dat. But Ah'm sure sum'one will explain the parts Ah didn't git later, when we have more time. Just the one thang, Venture Captain Heidarch, Mam': Does that mean I'm going to have to pretend Ah don't like Abadar no more? 'Cause I still do and I don't lie so good."

His head bobs out, in a distinctly avian manner, as he thinks about the problem. His face brightens up when he does figure it out, exclaiming as he turns towards his fellow agents: "Ah know! Sum'one just hazta lie for me. Ah'll stay quiet, Abadar be mah witness and judge!"

At which point he realizes he only recognizes half the people present. Barely. "Oh. Uhm... Hi. M'name's Kleetus Doherni. Ah'm Abadar's Left Hook. Ah'd like t'think that it's stronger than his right hook, but Ah'm not all that sure. He could be a righty. The Master of the First Vault has his mys-ter-ies Ah guess, ayup!"

Scarab Sages

Male Init +5 Per +9 | AC 15/11/14 | HP 65/65 | F +8/R + 4/ W +7| CMB +6 CMD 17 | Fist (8/8 | Shape (8/8) | Selective Spell (3/3) | Spells: 1st | magic missile (2), mage armour, enlarge (2), prot. evil, feather fall | 2nd glitterdust (DC 18) , bull's strength (2), create pit (DC 18), stinking cloud (DC 18) | 3rd | heroism (2), haste, lightning bolt (DC 19) (2) | 4th | SM IV (2), Beast Shape II (2)

"Ah! Infiltration! The art of subtlety, eh? Well, I know a thing or two about that! harrumyesss. One of those Numerian contraptions that can float below water? Subtlety! Yes. Where will we procure one of those, I wonder? I can prepare a divination spell if you-..." Archibald begins, as he's steered from the Venture Captain's office.

The Exchange

Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

"Hey Archie, Ah think they mean we gotta sneak up on them and pretend like they're our buddies." says Kleetus as he steers Archibald away. "And whatsa Nu-me-ri-an Contrap-shun?"

Don't forget your spells Archie! And Kleetus will take the opportunity to store one of his wands of Cure Light in one wrist sheath and the scroll with the multiple castings of See Invisibility in the other.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"You can probably go with your cover without need to state your true allegiance to Abadar Kleetus. I am sure you will find the way, I have good reports on your cunningness. Of course I am no religious leader of your order, but I guess Abadar will understand you take some licenses in order to get all that relevant and lost information about Lissala's cult" says the woman in a stern voice.

"But hurry up! A galley is almost ready to depart to Korvosa and there you will have to find your own way to reach Palin's Cove" adds the Venture-Captain trying to show herself patient.

Scarab Sages

Male Init +5 Per +9 | AC 15/11/14 | HP 65/65 | F +8/R + 4/ W +7| CMB +6 CMD 17 | Fist (8/8 | Shape (8/8) | Selective Spell (3/3) | Spells: 1st | magic missile (2), mage armour, enlarge (2), prot. evil, feather fall | 2nd glitterdust (DC 18) , bull's strength (2), create pit (DC 18), stinking cloud (DC 18) | 3rd | heroism (2), haste, lightning bolt (DC 19) (2) | 4th | SM IV (2), Beast Shape II (2)

"Oh! Yes! Quite right, quite right. I was just making sure you were paying attention old boy!" he says, before launching into a geographical survey of Numeria, and most of Northeastern Avistan for their walk down to the docks.

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

The little gnome nodded excitedly as she received the mission briefing. "Well, this will sure be different. Usually, they just want us to blow things up. Getting to be sneaky and clever sounds so much nicer."

She introduces herself to everyone in the room. "I'm ... Alie Saechel. Pleasure to meet all of you. I've done several missions for the Society, but I don't think I've met any of you before.". The gnome left our her noble title recently bestowed on her. She wasn't quite comfortable with that just yet.

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Unnvar stays silent with a frown on his face as Lady Heidmarch completes her talk.

It would be easier to just slaughter these cultists. He thinks to himself.

But instead he nods to the Venture Captain, let her understand he knows what to do.

He nods to Alie acknowledging her introduction. I'm Unnvar.

Looking to Kleetus, Let's do this cous.

On the way to dock, Unnvar wonders how easy it will be to pretend to be a cultist with a greatsword, and a lot of other gear. It's then he realizes he barely knows anything about those he is being sent to infiltrate.

No matter, I can always just snap some necks if things go wrong.

And just for a second a smile crosses his lips.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

A fast galley hired by the Society brings you through the Conqueror’s Bay in 4 days to Korvosa. The journey is pleasant and the winds favor you. From there you take a sailing ship that drops you at Palin’s Cove after a couple more days.

The slurry-seeping center of many of Korvosa’s dirtier industries, Palin’s Cove looks like a blight upon the landscape to many, but is nonetheless a vital cog in the Varisian economy. Located around 80 miles northwest of the capital, the settlement lies in one corner of the Conqueror’s Bay, just at the mouth of the Falcon River. As your ship approaches the Falcon’s mouth you can identify Palin’s Cove for miles around by the cloud of thick black smoke which rises from its many factories. You have a hard time finding something shiny in this place. That said the docks are busy and people seems to accept foreigners as you with ease, or perhaps they just totally ignore you.

You do not even need to ask for the Baited Hook Inn, a large sign in a sturdy building façade just at the far end of the docks announces the Inn for you. A stone pavement connects the docks with the inn, having to climb up a small section of stairs.

Once you enter the building you find out a room full of people dressed in long ago racked working clothes, unwashed and uncouth. Over the intense sweat and fried fish scent, you can hear the voice of a halfling bard singing in the far corner trying to entertain the clearly tired audience.

A blonde woman of mid age cleans some glasses behind the counter and smiles at you as you enter the place.

When you are up to talk with the woman an old man approaches you with a joyful facial expression “You should be the group I was waiting for from Magnimar!” The man should had been tall once, but now he walks with a stoop. He is missing much of the right side of his face, and most of his right arm. Closing to you he whispers “Pathfinders, aren’t you?” and with a giggle he adds “My name is Gerhart Aldrim. I was once part of your organisation, and now that I am retired I was assigned to observe this strategical enclave. Oh, but you should be thirsty aren’t you?” he points at one of the tables and turning to the innkeeper he says “Pindra, a beer for these people and myself and some of those baked potatoes of yours

Taking sit in the table he starts talking while you are still deciding if sitting with him is a good idea or not “But tell me, how are things going in the capital? Is lady Heidmarch as beauty and reckless as I have been told? Well, sorry again, it is not usual I have the opportunity to talk with foreigners. I guess you are anxious to start your investigation. Just ask me, what do you want to know?

The Exchange

Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

"Welp, Lady Hida-Ho-March said you had some way of dis-gui-sin' us?Whatcha got? Anyone we can trust 'part from you? And how many people 'round here know you were a bon-a-fide agent?" asks Kleetus as he takes a seat."And whut'sa hot p'tater?"

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Unnvar appreciates the enthusiasm of Gerhart.

He nods to Kleetus, Rightly said cous.

Then with his normal unhappy look upon his face, Unnvar also inquires of Gerhart.

I know little of this 'group', I know my goal is to find out more. But flying in blind is not my style. What do you already know of them?


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"Most people that know me here have long forgotten what my previous occupations had been. I am just another retired citizen who has little else place to drop dead. But I am happy to have visits from time to time" the old man shows a wide smile with a couple of his teeth rotted "Sheila thought a bunch of Pathfinders asking questions might put the cult on its guard. We put together a different story, if you want it. One of you will be Avis Dimitrov, from the Dimitrov family in Korvosa. Dimitrov seeks depraved pleasures and mystic enlightenment. Rich, amoral, and not too bright—the kind of folk any mad sect would be happy to have aboard. The rest of you can pose as Dimitrov’s bodyguards, servants, advisors, and hangers-on. I have some fancy clothes to make you look the part, and a letter of introduction from a Korvosan wizard who was born here. No skin off my nose what you do with this; Sheila told me to get it ready and she’s not one to be lightly refused."
Adopting the cover identity and dressing the part grants a +4 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks and a +2 circumstance bonus on Bluff checks whenever pretending to be Dimitrov would be helpful.

And turning to Unnvar the man adds "Charito didn’t tell me much, but I know she found something. I think she called them the ‘Heart Eaters’ or something like that. I’d never heard of them, and I’ve lived here going on ten years now. If this cult of hers is real, they’re hidden well. Then again, I don’t get out too much these days. Whoever she talked to must be out there somewhere. It can’t hurt to ask around."

"Is there anything else you want to know? You will need to get us much knowledge of the place as possible, talk with everyone, understand what this settlement is and why, try to link details and people, whatever hint, for small it might be, it might lead us to discover if that cult is really existing and where" concludes the man.


Mavaro | Male occultist 7 | hp 53/53 33/45 | AC 19, T 12, FF 18 | Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +8 | Abjuration points 0/2 | Divination points 9/9 | Necromancy points 1/1 | Transmutation points 0/3 | Init +1 | Perception +14

"We can definitely disguise ourselves, I would think, as bodyguards and advisors. No one would ever believe that I was a servant, of course... but a trusted advisor, that I can pull off."

Scarab Sages

Male Init +5 Per +9 | AC 15/11/14 | HP 65/65 | F +8/R + 4/ W +7| CMB +6 CMD 17 | Fist (8/8 | Shape (8/8) | Selective Spell (3/3) | Spells: 1st | magic missile (2), mage armour, enlarge (2), prot. evil, feather fall | 2nd glitterdust (DC 18) , bull's strength (2), create pit (DC 18), stinking cloud (DC 18) | 3rd | heroism (2), haste, lightning bolt (DC 19) (2) | 4th | SM IV (2), Beast Shape II (2)

"Well met, m'dear. It will be good to have a fellow spellcaster on board. I used to travel with the most marvelous pyromancer not six moons ago. One Milo Mindebender. I say, you're both gnomes... are you perchance related?"
________________________________________________________________________
"I was in the Arcanimarium Graduating Class of '66, you know. This will be like a long awaited homecoming." he says, to any who will listen over their four day journey. "Middleweight Boxing Champion of 58, I was, and quite the conjurer too, in my time. All those days lounging around the quadrangle, summoning unfathomable horrors from the lower planes..." he trails off with a wistful sigh, regaling his captive audience with long-winded tales of his college days.
________________________________________________________________________

"Ah! I see! Quite the ruse. But which of us to play the part? Perhaps young Kleetus? Mister Mavaro?"

Grand Lodge

Elf Bladebound Kensai Magus 10, HP 27 [67], AC 32 haste [31], Touch [25], FF [20], CMB +8, CMD 33, Fort +8, Ref +9, Will+6, Init +11, Perception, +19, Low light vision.

Sorry didnt notice we started a bit early. So some back tracking.

Wonderful another group of morons. Yvell thinks to himself. That one seems smart as does the gnome. Rhathel says in his mind. I suppose it may not be a lost cause sister.

"Yvell Blakros." The tall elf says to the group giving a slight bow. "Charmed I'm sure."

Turning to the VC, "I dont do to well in the undercover scene. As long as we leave a few alive, can we just kick in the front door?" He asks.

Now
At the mention of beer Yvell pulls a bottle of wine and a glass from his pack. Pouring himself a glass he stows the bottle back. Why is it always half orcs...
"I suppose i could pull off the persona of this Dimitrov. After all I've know many who fit that discription. More since i married a Blakros. Mavaro i think you would make a great advisor. You two." He says pointing to Kleetus an Unnvar, taking a small sip of wine, "Would make servicable bodyuards. Alie and Archibald would you consent to the roles of servents?" He asks. After the time spent with Yvell you know its rare for him to actually ask and not just tell.

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

Alie nodded her head. But she wasn't terribly happy. Im the noble...I understand the social graces, but the Society, knowing all this, made the role of the fake noble male?! What are they doing?

"Well, I suppose we have no choice in the matter. One of you boys has to play the role of Dimitrov. I can play the role of a servant as needed."

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Bodyguard suits me just fine.

Unnvar's frown seems to be a satisfied one. Reaching behind himself to pat his axe.

Well Dimitrov Eyeing Yvell and thinking he'll be perfect for the part of the noble. Time to get on with the depraved pleasures, then later you can have the mystic enlightenment.

Play the part convincingly and the 'group' will probably find us.

Looking at Gerhart, What ya got in bodyguard wear or will what I have one work? Unnvar gives a sniff to his shirt and although he hasn't washed it in several weeks it still smells good.

Grand Lodge

Elf Bladebound Kensai Magus 10, HP 27 [67], AC 32 haste [31], Touch [25], FF [20], CMB +8, CMD 33, Fort +8, Ref +9, Will+6, Init +11, Perception, +19, Low light vision.

"My thanks for agreeing Alie. And we shall have to find matching jerkins for the two of you. Preferably something clean and better smelling." He says to Unnvar.

His back story is that he was born into minor nobility then married in to the Blakros family. I even spent the 20 prestige on the boon.

The Exchange

Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

Kleetus nods in response to Yvell, stating in a sad tone of voice: "Ah won't lie, I wuz hopin' one of us was an accomplished liar by trade, but it don't matter. Gerard, wit did ya say the name of our missin' colleague wuz? And where was she livin'?"

Are there any appropriate knowledge checks we can make during our travel? Specifically (but not limited to) the Thassilonian goddess Lissala?


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"That clothing of you seems to perfectly fit you in the role of bodyguard in my humble opinion" answers Gerhart to Unnvar.

The innkeeper comes to the table at that moment "Gerhart, Gerhart, again drinking at morning? What kind of tales are you explaining again to these foreigners?" the woman leaves four beers she then comes back to the counter as Gerhart dismisses her with the hand.

"Charito Menas" says to Kleetus becoming suddenly serious "Taldan, lovely to look at, but arrogant as the hosts of Hell. She didn't like me much. Never told me much about where she was going, who she was talking to, or what she found out. Then one night she didn't come back. Guess whatever she was looking for found her first. Not my fault I had no idea where to look for her. Frankly, I didn't like her enough to risk my good arm poking around where I'm not wanted."

"As to where was she living... she was sleeping in my house, same place I have readied for your group to stay if you have nothing against"

The woman comes back, this time with a couple beers and the ration of baked potatoes "So, whom are your friends oldie? They seem to have too much style for an old hick as you."

"Pindra Coxswain! Get in your business!" exclaims the man "These people come from Korvosa and do not have time for a gossip innkeeper"


Mavaro | Male occultist 7 | hp 53/53 33/45 | AC 19, T 12, FF 18 | Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +8 | Abjuration points 0/2 | Divination points 9/9 | Necromancy points 1/1 | Transmutation points 0/3 | Init +1 | Perception +14

Meant to post this in the gameplay, not discussion.
Mavaro will try to learn a bit from the locals about the young man that the group will be acting as.

Kn.local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Where to start? Unnvar has a deadly serious look on his face.

Dimitrov maybe you find some debauchery to get into.

Gerhart are there other pubs or maybe a house of ill repute around here. Might be good places to hunt around.

The Exchange

Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

Kleetus watches the Innkeeper walk away before asking:"Hey Gerhart, ya think that Innkeeper girl might know 'bout where t'find some good ol' fashioned de-bau-che-ry? If Ah wuzn't a scary person by nature, Ah'd go and talk t'her" he concludes, winking at the more verbose members of the party.

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

Alie starts asking around the bars and inns about possible places naughty nobles might blow off some steam.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 17 = 32


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

Mavaro remembers he has a local contact in the settlement. One of the monks from his monastery had his father living here. The man was working as a carpenter in one ballista factory. He seemed to be very attached to his son, Kilian Hirodel, and became broken-heart when his child decided to take the monastic life where Mavaro become in touch with him.

Gerhart looks at the half-orcs thinking carefully "Where to start... I have no idea, Charito kept to herself all the detail of her investigation. If that cult really exists... it might be anywhere in Palin's Cove... If I was you, I would start by visiting the most relevant buildings around the city and attempt to ask some questions and carefully observe around"

"This is in fact the only inn in town and where to find some fun publicly. Of course people like also playing cards and other games at their private homes. But in case you find yourself alone and want to socialize this is the best and, I fear, only place to check out. But well, with your cover, you might find the opportunity to present yourselves at the richest merchant manors and look for some opportunity to socialize and distract yourselves." he smiles showing his half-rotten teeth "It will be easy to recognize those manors, they are the largest and better decorated buildings around the city."

Alie looks around the inn and she finds out most of the men and even the innkeeper are looking at her with true curiosity. They all seem more than open to talk with her.

On all seriousness, just place a mark on the house you want to visit in the map and let yourself go with the situation :)

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

What is the building inside the triangle in the southwest pArt of the map? Hat looks interesting.

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

I agree with Alie I want to know what this place is! Red arrow on the map!


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"The building within the walls you saw from the harbor?" Gerhart smiles and answers with enthusiasm "Of course I know that one! It is the Bright Hearth Fortress! It serves as a second lighthouse and was the first structure built in Palin’s Cove. The garrison is currently lead by Captain Marcu Valdis. Well, if you want to walk there, I guess that is as good start as any other" the man takes one of the baked potatoes and eats it with pleasure "Delicious Pindra. If it was not for these little gems you will find a hard time to find me around. I got not married for something. Puff"
Please, add actions with your posts, that will help to keep things moving and I will better know whether your intention is to walk to the place, ask a question to someone in particular or doing something else. Thanks! ;)


Mavaro | Male occultist 7 | hp 53/53 33/45 | AC 19, T 12, FF 18 | Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +8 | Abjuration points 0/2 | Divination points 9/9 | Necromancy points 1/1 | Transmutation points 0/3 | Init +1 | Perception +14

"Sounds like that may be a great place to start our investigation. To the Fortress, post-haste!"

I think we're heading toward the fortress. :)

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

"The Bright Hearth Fortress it is, then. I suppose a nobleman could certainly demand a tour of the place. That wouldn't be out of character, I don't think."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

"Good, keep me updated with your findings please. I will be still around until night" Gerhart bows in respect to your group "I will not like my friend Dimitrov to also disappear without trace" he winks his eye while he talks aloud and says good bye to you.

The trip through the settlement streets is a bit troubling. Used to the kinder alleys of Magnimar or Korvosa, the streets here seem dark and uncomfortable. Even the Sun warmth here becomes sticky and unpleasant.

You cross with some workers who absent-mindedly walk the streets without paying you much attention. And then, after climbing to the highest hill in the city, you reach the Bright Hearth Fortress gate. A couple of guards stop you in the walls opening.

"Wait there. Who are you and why do you want to go inside the Fortress?" says one of them with the dark hair and a strong Chelish accent.

The walls are 20 feet tall and scouts walk all in the top. Through the gates you are able to see an inner ward where four well armored soldiers are training with swords and bucklers. To the side you see other people, town folk you would say, in leathers and playing cards. They have spears at hand.

The guards look at you attentively waiting for an explanation.

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

Diplomacy 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (6) + 17 = 23

"Guards, get out of my Master's way. Master Dmitrov desires to tour the Fortress, and make sure it is up to snuff. He is here to discuss the status of it with Captain Valdis." She lowers her voice to a whisper. "I'd move quickly. Master Dmitrov has a temper."

Edit: thinking more, this is probably a Bluff, not a Diplomacy roll. My modifier for Bluff is +11, so that would be a 17, if that is the correct skill.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

I am ok with either way, your request seems enough for me

"Master Dmitrov?" both guards look at each other "Well, I guess Captain Valdis will want to know about this" One of them get's inside the fortress and disappears into the building.

It does not take much before the man comes back with a tall man coating with a fine breastplate he hastens to greet you "Sorry for this mess Master Dmitrov, in case I had known you were coming I would have ordered for some proper reception and requested the kitchen for some nice food to offer you" he looks to the side at one small boy holding a trumpet and the boy nods making a loud horrible sound announcing your entry into the inner ward.

"You see these walls Master Dmitrov? They were the first structure build here in Palin's Cove. This was originally a military outpost. Palin's Cove played a vital role in early Chelaxian victories over the Shoanti." the man looks at Dmitrov a bit confused by the situation but tries to keep up talking, clearly avoiding silence "Palin's Cove served as a naval garrison until 4485 AR, when it became an official settlement of Korvosa. Over the years, a number of extensive Shoanti sieges were laid on the town" some enthusiasm builds up in his eyes at this point "But it never fell! And so it was rewarded by Korvosa with this strong industrial presence of current days"

With clear trouble he then looks at Dmitrov and his companions "But tell me, what brings you to Palin's Cove today Sir?"

Silver Crusade

Maps and Handout

Unnvar knows better than try to talk to the Captain that should be left the Dmitrov or one of his servants. Bodyguards know better than opening there fat trap. But fighting that was for Unnvar, he nonchalantly moves away from Dmitrov and the Captain and toward the guards practicing in the yard.

Mind if I join you, it's been awhile since I have a chance to practice with competent fighters. He shoots a look over toward the group to indicate none of them was worth a darn fighting. And looks hopefully at the guards.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

While the big guys talk Unnvar approaches the soldiers fighting in the inner ward. They make a stop, perching over their swords "And you think you can reach our level half-orc? Hahahaha" the men laugh at Unnvar's face. The other men stop playing cards and look at the center curious on how the tension resolves.

The Exchange

Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

Kleetus smiles, a wary eye towards Unnvvar. Ah hope he dun snap. Should Ah go ahead 'n butt in? Nah, Ah'll see how it plays out first.

Scarab Sages

Male Init +5 Per +9 | AC 15/11/14 | HP 65/65 | F +8/R + 4/ W +7| CMB +6 CMD 17 | Fist (8/8 | Shape (8/8) | Selective Spell (3/3) | Spells: 1st | magic missile (2), mage armour, enlarge (2), prot. evil, feather fall | 2nd glitterdust (DC 18) , bull's strength (2), create pit (DC 18), stinking cloud (DC 18) | 3rd | heroism (2), haste, lightning bolt (DC 19) (2) | 4th | SM IV (2), Beast Shape II (2)

Archibald looks wistful as they run through Korvosa's military history. With little to add to the proceedings he begins a mental checklist of which of his former college buddies are still alive and kicking for when they return via the city proper.

Archibald waves his staff angrily at the guardsmen. "Are you going to pocket that, old boy? I say we teach these young rascals a lesson in respect!" he says, rolling up his sleeves to reveal his skinny wrists as he adopts a southpaw stance, bobbing from foot to foot. The effect is more comical than menacing, especially when the wizard begins shadow boxing. "...show them one of these! And one of those!"

Our cover is very important to us and Archibald is not as good a boxer as he thinks he is. Although to his credit I did manage to win a fist fight on him somewhere in his PFS career.

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Well I certainly am not your equal, but maybe I can learn from the experience of training with you. But I don't want to hold ya back, so if you'd rather me move along that's fine. Sort of surprised you don't want to teach a thing or 2 to a novice like me.

Only people who have been around Unnvar awhile would realize he is being sarcastic, it's meant to sound sincere, in hopes he can teach these over confident pricks a lesson.

Turning to Archibald, It's okay these fellas are going to give me a lesson, I think.

Still frowning, he does give them a knowing glance.

Scarab Sages

Male Init +5 Per +9 | AC 15/11/14 | HP 65/65 | F +8/R + 4/ W +7| CMB +6 CMD 17 | Fist (8/8 | Shape (8/8) | Selective Spell (3/3) | Spells: 1st | magic missile (2), mage armour, enlarge (2), prot. evil, feather fall | 2nd glitterdust (DC 18) , bull's strength (2), create pit (DC 18), stinking cloud (DC 18) | 3rd | heroism (2), haste, lightning bolt (DC 19) (2) | 4th | SM IV (2), Beast Shape II (2)

Placated a little, the wizard lowers his fists and falls back into line, grumbling.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

While the others talk Unnvar faces the soldiers and they look at each other. One of them observes how the regulars are looking at him and he turns to Unnvar visibly affected in his self-esteem "You know... it has been a while I have not bleed a half-orc... Ok, these are the rules. Non-lethal damage, the first to wound the other wins. If we both wound each other, the deepest bruise wins the contest. Do you accept or the orc ferocity is nothing more than a myth?"

All the other humans around laugh.

If the contest is accepted:

The soldier places himself into the circle arena and greets Unnvar with his sword. Into fencing position he maneuvers looking for an opportunity to attack the half-orc.

At the moment Unnvar attacks, he responds with his sword trying to bleed the half-orc in response.
mwk Longsword-nonlethal: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 4 = 18
Slashing damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
AC 18

Meanwhile Captain Valis continues his talk with Master Dmitrov and his assistants "So Master, what would you like to know?"
If no other interaction, please, provide at least any question you want to resolve and a Diplomacy roll

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Yeah, non-lethal of course, this is training isn't it.

He gives an incredulous look to the guard.

I definitely accept and thanks for giving me a chance.

Unnvar draws his greatsword enters the circle. When the man attacks Unnvar steps to the side avoiding the blow and returns with his own.

+1 Adamantine Greatsword - nonlethal: 1d20 + 12 - 4 ⇒ (14) + 12 - 4 = 22
non-lethal slashing damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 6) + 7 = 18

Sovereign Court

Fey Sorcerer 14 | HP 125/125 (+ _20_ temp HP) | AC (22)18, Touch 15, Flat Footed 15 | CMD 18 | Fort: (19)+17, Ref: (18)+15, Will: (17)+15 (+2 vs. Illusions) | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0 | 3 mirror images left

Where's Yvell? I think we need him to jump in and speak to the Captain to continue the ruse.


Mavaro | Male occultist 7 | hp 53/53 33/45 | AC 19, T 12, FF 18 | Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +8 | Abjuration points 0/2 | Divination points 9/9 | Necromancy points 1/1 | Transmutation points 0/3 | Init +1 | Perception +14

Agreed.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

When the blade of Unnvar strikes the unprotected right arm of the soldier, all the watch exclaims impressed "Ooooh!"

The soldier visibly wounded in his self-esteem drops the longsword while he holds his pain to himself "Oh, you clearly have some skills..." some of the soldiers come and greet Unnvar "That was impressive. Did you came to join the watch? Six months have already past and the new regiment from Korvosa should come relieve us"

Other of the soldiers tabs the half-orc in the back "Man, that is exactly what we need to end up with the disappearances around"

On the other side of the yard the Captain moves his eyes from Dmitrov to the other members of the party "Perhaps your advisors can explain me your duty here"
Feel free to speak in name of Dmitrov as his advisors or bodyguards and add questions. Let's keep this moving.

The Exchange

Half-Orc Slayer lvl 9/ Hunter (feral hunter) lvl 1
Tracked Resources:
Boots of Speed 6/10, Mask 2/3, Orc Ferocity 1/1, Spells 1st 1/2 (Cure Light Wounds, Feather Step) 0 (at will) (Detect Magic, Guidance, Mending, Resistance)
HP 104/104 | AC 27 25 FF 22 20 T 17 ]CMD 31 | Init +6 | Saves (Fort +15, Reflex +14, Will +7)| Per +15, SenMot +7| Spd 30' Animal Focus Active: Mouse (evasion)| Effects Active: Flying / Cold Resist 5 (Barkskin)|

Unnvar picks up the wounded man's sword and offers it back to him.

I was lucky to avoid your blow, it was a good one.

Looking to the others.

Unfortunately, no, I wish it were so. It's been awhile since I was in military service it was always so rewarding. Sometimes I regret leaving it, but the coin is better serving Master Dmitrov over there.

So you say the new regiment is past due? Master Dmitrov has some friends in the Korvosa militia, I'll see if he'll but in a word with them get those replacement up here faster. I know I was on an assignment like that once, replacements were late by months, thought they would never come, horrible.

Unnvar hopes he's buttered these guards up enough, to start asking them about the disappearances.

Once they retort a bit from his previous comments.

Ya mentioned disappearances? What's been happening, anything I need to worry about protecting the Master while he's here?

Grand Lodge

Elf Bladebound Kensai Magus 10, HP 27 [67], AC 32 haste [31], Touch [25], FF [20], CMB +8, CMD 33, Fort +8, Ref +9, Will+6, Init +11, Perception, +19, Low light vision.

"My duty is more of a curiosity than anything. I have been traveling and attempting to learn more about ancient Thassilon. Particularly the deities that were worshiped and how the view of these deities has changed since. There are a few that seemed to have vanished and i am attempting to learn more on them as well. The Peacock Spirit and Lissala for example." Yvell says watching the man to gauge his reaction.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
"I had heard that there was an ancient temple ruin around here but i must say I am begining to doubt that source." He continues.

"Whats this about disappearances?" He asks the captain after over hearing this. Glancing at his guard with disapproval, "You are right. I could send a message or two to have this checked on."


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The soldiers lower their voice as they answer to Unnvar with troubled faces "Yes, people is mysteriously disappearing in the night. It has been happening for years now... The Captain is very worried about the topic, but no one has been able to find out anything until now. If I was you, I would convince your Dmitrov not to walk around the city at night, neither I would leave his room unprotected"

"Yes... the disappearances... it has been for years like that, but lately we have counted more than 20 in the last two years. The watch consists of a local constabulary and a garrison of Korvosan regulars, they are not investigators, we have found nothing until now. We have a list of people that have been reported as missing but we have not find anything of interest. Only sometimes, before folks disappear, they start acting strange and talking about service" he looks Dmitrov at the eyes clearly concearned "As about your duty here... there is no temple ruin around, I fear you were missinformed. And about Peacock and Lissala... I doubt anyone around reverences them. And it’d be hard for such followers to exist in Palin’s Cove without people knowing about it. The magnates keep a close eye on everything that goes on here in town, ’cause their livelihoods depend on all of us working hard in their factories.

The Exchange

Male LG Half-Orc (Varisian) Inquisitor 12 | HP:95/95| AC: 25 (13 Tch, 24 Fl) | CMB: +12 CMD: 28 | F: +12, R: +7, W: +14 | Init: +7 | Perc: +15 SM: +25 | Speed 30ft | Bane 17/17, Judgement(x2) 4/4 | Spells: lvl 0=6, lvl 1=6/6, lvl 2=6/6, lvl 3=5/5, lvl 4=4/4 | Active conditions:.

Is he be honest and upfront? (Sense Motive): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (8) + 15 = 23

"Master D'mitir-off, maybe we should be talkin' to someone who dun' know more than the captain here. Maybe take his suggestion and go see them mag-nate-fellers. Ah figure they musta be livin' on that island on the other side o' the walls we saw 'long the way."

Kleetus is referring to the location marked by a blue arrow. The ruse he is attempting is to make a false statement and have the captain correct him, thus letting him know what the location marked by the blue arrow is and let him know where the various magnates reside.


Shackled City: Player's Guide - Expectations | Shackled City map

The captain nods to Kleetus "One of the rich families here lives there. The Rumalin family controls much of Palin’s Cove’s catapult manufacturing. There is a small ford to access the northern part of the island... the Merciless Isle, named for the ship Keyra Palin captained in Korvosa’s earliest days...." the captain seems nostalgic as he says the words.

"The other magnates of the city life within the external walls, all around the Bank of Abadar" the captain points to a massive structure visible through the gate of the fortress.

I have marked for you the Rumalin manor and the Bank of Abadar in the map

1 to 50 of 451 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS GameDay 4] GM Rutseg's #4-08: The Cultist's Kiss [Tier 7-8] - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.