A campaign setup you should never use


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...


Each player plays a full caster, the DM isn't allowed to use the word 'no' out of character.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Any setup where the players and/or DM isn't going to have fun. What you described could be perfectly fine with the right group of players and DM.

but if you're looking for suggestions.

how bout, "Rocks fall, everyone dies", but honestly a creative dm could make even that setup fun for everyone
*shrug*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
pennywit wrote:
Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...

... what's the problem with this?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rub-Eta wrote:
pennywit wrote:
Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...
... what's the problem with this?

Trying to ram a square peg through the round hole that is Pathfinder is what I'd say if someone legit ran that premise past me.

There's probably far better systems out there to play Power Rangers than PF.

Or it's anime and thus stupid. Either or.


Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Rub-Eta wrote:
pennywit wrote:
Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...
... what's the problem with this?

Trying to ram a square peg through the round hole that is Pathfinder is what I'd say if someone legit ran that premise past me.

There's probably far better systems out there to play Power Rangers than PF.

Or it's anime and thus stupid. Either or.

Hey hey hey, don't confuse power rangers with anime, they're at best j-drama, and honestly probably lower than that. For one thing Anime is Animated. For another, even if power rangers was hand drawn in classic style I don't think we'd own that series.

That being said, I think people are missing the point that if I'm not wrong this is supposed to basically be a 1001 lame ideas thread.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shiroi wrote:
Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Rub-Eta wrote:
pennywit wrote:
Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...
... what's the problem with this?

Trying to ram a square peg through the round hole that is Pathfinder is what I'd say if someone legit ran that premise past me.

There's probably far better systems out there to play Power Rangers than PF.

Or it's anime and thus stupid. Either or.

Hey hey hey, don't confuse power rangers with anime, they're at best j-drama, and honestly probably lower than that. For one thing Anime is Animated. For another, even if power rangers was hand drawn in classic style I don't think we'd own that series.

That being said, I think people are missing the point that if I'm not wrong this is supposed to basically be a 1001 lame ideas thread.

Eh, that's me mostly getting my wires crossed. Giant golems modeled after animals is straight up Zords but on the other hand Magical Children are every magical girl anime ever. Don't think about it too deep.

But to retrack the topic a bit: PCs are the lackeys and hangers-on of the actual heroes. There is no twist where they take the mantle of their heroes, defeat them, or solve an equally big problem in the background. They simply are there to witness and be sycophants.


Run any campaign and sometime after 9th level strip and strand the players somewhere they can't return to their normal environment despite abilities that should allow them to for unexplained reasons.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You mean, taking the campaign to the Demiplane of Dread? sure, the guy who invented that concept should never have been allowed to DM


Man, Super Sentai is easy to do. The central premise is just a core group of 3-5 niche characters as superheroes with coordinated theming, except you do fun poses and announce yourselves. It’s a pretty ideal form for tabletop, really. Don’t get too hung up on the mechas. Goranger didn’t even have them.

I literally just finished running an adventure with a sentai as npcs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Every PC has a familiar, animal companion, or ediolon etc. Start of first session all the PCS die and the players take over as the pets.


Darigaaz the Igniter wrote:
Every PC has a familiar, animal companion, or ediolon etc. Start of first session all the PCS die and the players take over as the pets.

I think someone is running that exact game here on the boards.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"Good morning, class, and welcome to your first day at Master Summoner Academy!"


The player characters are all attending the National Convention of Nameless Strangers, because they are all lone drifters with mysterious pasts who refuse to talk about themselves. They aren't required to group up, since that would be against character. Nonetheless, they repeatedly find themselves in the same place at the same time fighting the same foe.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Commoners vs Housecats


LordKailas wrote:

Any setup where the players and/or DM isn't going to have fun. What you described could be perfectly fine with the right group of players and DM.

but if you're looking for suggestions.

how bout, "Rocks fall, everyone dies", but honestly a creative dm could make even that setup fun for everyone
*shrug*

And now you must slay 1000 devils to crawl out of hell!

Dark Archive

Boat battles. Ugh.


Dajur wrote:
Boat battles. Ugh.

In fact, any campaign centered around the party being on a conveyance and having to specialize in operating various aspects of it.


The entire world has been replaced with doppelgangers and mimics, including the (suspiciously sticky)planet itself. The players aren't told this and are only aware of what their character does when in the form of the character they made. The game's primary action is heavy politics in top level doppelganger society. The doppelganger leaders use the rare elite doppelganger, one who is self aware throughout changes, to spread chaos in the holdings of their competing lords. The PCs are born elites who haven't grown into their self awareness yet but are highly sought after for their use as pawns once they do.


Slim Jim wrote:
Dajur wrote:
Boat battles. Ugh.
In fact, any campaign centered around the party being on a conveyance and having to specialize in operating various aspects of it.

Huh. I've heard about some pretty epic Skull & Shackles games. Does it not involve a lot of ship-to-ship combat or navigational challenges?


blahpers wrote:
Slim Jim wrote:
Dajur wrote:
Boat battles. Ugh.
In fact, any campaign centered around the party being on a conveyance and having to specialize in operating various aspects of it.
Huh. I've heard about some pretty epic Skull & Shackles games. Does it not involve a lot of ship-to-ship combat or navigational challenges?

With an appropriate build (i.e., more dexterity-based) for a pirate-themed game, S&S is quite good, and you know what you're getting into right from the beginning. I played a Saltbeard dwarf in my run through it.

But I hate having ship combat tossed in as a surprise. If you're a full-metal-stomper martial type, it just sucks.

Grand Lodge

Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Rub-Eta wrote:
pennywit wrote:
Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...
... what's the problem with this?

Trying to ram a square peg through the round hole that is Pathfinder is what I'd say if someone legit ran that premise past me.

There's probably far better systems out there to play Power Rangers than PF.

Funny, because there are official adventures that do that.

PFS convention scenario spoiler:
Last session of Pathfinder I played we piloted a giant mecha (construct in PF terms) fighting a giant synthetic dragon thing in front of the walls of Absalom. Players controlled different body parts of the mecha.

At least we got to skip the boat battle. There was a convenient army of demons we could fight against instead. Giving options to players is good. ;)

Silver Crusade

Well, back on topic, I'm currently working on an outline for a campaign, admittedly for Starfinder, where the primary inspiration is Voltron. I'm waiting to see what Armory will bring in terms of combining ships, and see what comes of it. Until then, I might give them each a 1-2 man ship, and they are just in prototypes that haven't got the combining part down.


I feel like a campaign where ever monster is like an annoying ad, like that one that got posted and is somehow here 5hrs later.

Dark Archive

How about a campaign where you give every players blank sheets and they have to figure out in character what each of them actually are by trying out things and filling up the sheet as they go? Except you made each and everyone of them an NPC class


Mangenorn wrote:
Tarik Blackhands wrote:
Rub-Eta wrote:
pennywit wrote:
Each player must play a vigilante (magic child) who dresses in a different color and has a different animal as a familiar. And each of the players has access to a Huge golem modeled after its familiar ...
... what's the problem with this?

Trying to ram a square peg through the round hole that is Pathfinder is what I'd say if someone legit ran that premise past me.

There's probably far better systems out there to play Power Rangers than PF.

Funny, because there are official adventures that do that.

** spoiler omitted **

...Okay, I would totally play that once.


Hyamda wrote:
How about a campaign where you give every players blank sheets and they have to figure out in character what each of them actually are by trying out things and filling up the sheet as they go? Except you made each and everyone of them an NPC class

Also you hand out blank rulebooks and the players have to figure out what game they're playing!

Grand Lodge

Indie RPG without GM !!!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / A campaign setup you should never use All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.