Terrakineticist element


Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild

Sovereign Court

So according to it's explanation, the Terrakineticist gains access to EVERY element at once, with a favored terrain type activating each one.

Does anyone have the terrain types list? Some elements like void are hard to place to a terrain, especially in society. And because it's up to DM discretion, I could use some help figuring it all out as I want to make CAPTAIN PLANET... I mean CPL. Anet. XD

Sczarni *****

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It's described in the archetype.

Ultimate Wilderness wrote:
When in a corresponding terrain, as determined by the ranger favored terrain categories, her element changes to the corresponding element (granting her class skills, basic utility wild talent, simple blast, and elemental defense as appropriate), and she gains all the wild talents she selected from the corresponding element. Aether corresponds to urban and the Ethereal Plane; air corresponds to hill, mountain, plains, and the Plane of Air; fire corresponds to desert and the Plane of Fire; earth corresponds to underground and the Plane of Earth; water corresponds to cold, swamp, water, and the Plane of Water; and wood corresponds to forest, jungle, the First World, and the Positive Energy Plane. In areas that might count as multiple types of terrain, the GM decides which element predominates, and in certain areas not covered by the ranger favored terrains (such as the upper atmosphere) or in those with strong elemental energy (like an underground temple of a fire cult), the corresponding element might differ. If the kineticist class gains additional elements, those elements also gain corresponding terrains at the GM’s discretion, and the terrakineticist chooses wild talents from those elements. A terrakineticist should almost never be in a situation that doesn’t correspond to any of these elements, but in such an unusual circumstance (for instance, the void of space given the standard six elements), she loses access to all her wild talents, even her universal wild talents.


It only explains for the first 6 elements, and nothing for Void save the VACUUM OF SPACE? I'm trying to figure something more definitive, so that If I play in society I won't have to argue a point to every dm I come across. My worry is that DM's won't even LET me play this because of that.

And this is just my griping, but WHY does air have mountains, not earth??

***

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because you're way up high in the air, and they had to give air something. Earth will be on a lot, basically anytime you hit up a dungeon.

Sovereign Court

hmm, didn't think of that. all I saw was underground, and I've yet to really have more than one adventure partake in something of the sort.

Sczarni *****

Starfinder Charter Superscriber
AeonsShadow wrote:

It only explains for the first 6 elements, and nothing for Void save the VACUUM OF SPACE? I'm trying to figure something more definitive, so that If I play in society I won't have to argue a point to every dm I come across. My worry is that DM's won't even LET me play this because of that.

And this is just my griping, but WHY does air have mountains, not earth??

Don't choose Void as an element, then?

I can think of maybe two scenarios where you'd get any use out of it.

Not all options are equally viable in Society.

Captain Planet didn't have Void powers anyways.

Dark Archive *** Venture-Agent, Finland—Turku aka Tomppa

AeonsShadow wrote:

It only explains for the first 6 elements, and nothing for Void save the VACUUM OF SPACE? I'm trying to figure something more definitive, so that If I play in society I won't have to argue a point to every dm I come across. My worry is that DM's won't even LET me play this because of that.

Can you rephrase? I don't really understand the question/problem. GM's aren't allowed to deny you from playing a legal character, so "DM won't even let me play this" isn't an option - it's a legal option, so long as you have the source and the Additional Resources say it's legal.

You don't need to argue a point to every DM you come across:

"In areas that might count as multiple types of terrain, the GM decides which element predominates, and in certain areas not covered by the ranger favored terrains (such as the upper atmosphere) or in those with strong elemental energy (like an underground temple of a fire cult), the corresponding element might differ."

Basically, the GM will always tell you what element is the current one.

Silver Crusade ***** Venture-Captain, Germany—Aschaffenburg-Würzburg

Tomppa wrote:
AeonsShadow wrote:

It only explains for the first 6 elements, and nothing for Void save the VACUUM OF SPACE? I'm trying to figure something more definitive, so that If I play in society I won't have to argue a point to every dm I come across. My worry is that DM's won't even LET me play this because of that.

Can you rephrase? I don't really understand the question/problem. GM's aren't allowed to deny you from playing a legal character, so "DM won't even let me play this" isn't an option - it's a legal option, so long as you have the source and the Additional Resources say it's legal.

You don't need to argue a point to every DM you come across:

"In areas that might count as multiple types of terrain, the GM decides which element predominates, and in certain areas not covered by the ranger favored terrains (such as the upper atmosphere) or in those with strong elemental energy (like an underground temple of a fire cult), the corresponding element might differ."

Basically, the GM will always tell you what element is the current one.

Well kinda, this archetype can be a bit annoying for the GM, I would seriously suggest not coming to a table and asking the GM "

Hey GM, I have no idea how my very complicated archetype works, please take the time to read it since you need to make decisions based on it."

Instead, I would suggest going like this:

"Hi everyone, today I am playing a Terrakineticist, it's a bit complicated but I have extensive notes. For those of you who have never heard about it, it is a kineticist that gains access to various kineticist elements based on the location.
They are based on the favored terrain ranger options, here is a handout, in corner cases the GM makes the call which terrain is more prevalent
The rules for the Void element are less than clear so I am leaving it up to the GM if he feels that any particular area has a strong connection to it."

Dark Archive *** Venture-Agent, Finland—Turku aka Tomppa

I wouldn't say it's "I have no idea how my archetype works"
More like: "I have an archetype that receives powers depending on the terrain we are in. I'll need to know which of these elements is closest to the terrain we're in. I'll take care the rest, you just need to say if it's fire, earth, water, etc."

Scarab Sages *****

Tomppa wrote:

I wouldn't say it's "I have no idea how my archetype works"

More like: "I have an archetype that receives powers depending on the terrain we are in. I'll need to know which of these elements is closest to the terrain we're in. I'll take care the rest, you just need to say if it's fire, earth, water, etc."

That still leaves it open to the GM needing to be aware of the archetype and know the language it uses to assign elements. Some of the assigned elements are not 100% intuitive, so if you leave it up to the GM, they may make choices based on what they feel is correct, which should not be how its done for the ones that are clearly spelled out.

Having that ability printed out would be ideal for reference anytime a new terrain type has been entered.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

I prefer the mantra of "Don't make your character the GM's problem."

Honestly, I recommend just choosing an element yourself even if there's two or more possibilities despite the fact the ability says it's at GM discretion. Most GMs won't care. The only time you need to ask is if the scenario transports you to an unusual or unknown location.

*****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You could probably just ask the GM what terrain you're in (and to let you know if it changes), same as a ranger with several favored terrains who needs to know if she gets her bonus on initiative, Perception, Stealth, etc. Something like "Would you say the basement floor of this castle counts more as underground because of being a basement or urban for being in a castle in the middle of a city?"

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild / Terrakineticist element All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.