does anyone know what is the lifespan of the common ryphorian?


General Discussion


I mostly wana know about the ryphorian. But it would be good to knowthe lifespans of all the playable races. Since the ryphorian are just fuzzy elves do they have a simular lifespan?


I always assumed it was rare for one to live long enough to see the seasons change. I could be wrong though.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber

If they've kept the lore the same as pathfinder the answer is no more than 80 years, from Distant Worlds, "Of course, as with any society, there is rarely a shortage of fools who prefer to live for the moment—on Triaxus, a single orbit around the sun takes 317 years, while its humanoid races rarely live more than 80."

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Actually, the starting ages, lifespans, height, and weight (at standard gravity) of most of the Alien Archive player races remains mysterious. :(

This is not a good thing, and should have been included in their stats.


Lord Fyre wrote:

Actually, the starting ages, lifespans, height, and weight (at standard gravity) of most of the Alien Archive player races remains mysterious. :(

This is not a good thing, and should have been included in their stats.

Agreed, i need to know if i am playing a young ryphorian or an old ryphorian.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
ghostunderasheet wrote:
I mostly wana know about the ryphorian. But it would be good to knowthe lifespans of all the playable races. Since the ryphorian are just fuzzy elves do they have a similar lifespan?

Well there is a height, weight and aging table in the Core Rules for those races. I would suggest for now, comparing the longevity from that table and from the Pathfinder table and it should give you a rough idea of how better medical tech and magic has affected lifespans on the old PF races.

Then just extrapolate how it has affected the ryphorians and adjust their old longevity appropriately.

For example Human max age used to be 70+2d20 years. Now it is 80+2d20 years. So nearly a 13% life span increase.

Distant Worlds lists Triaxus with a 317 year orbit. I think it is safe to assume their lifespans are similar to human from the inference in the fluff from there and SF sources.

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Winterborn, Summerborn, or Transitional?

Humor indicated


Gilfalas wrote:
ghostunderasheet wrote:
I mostly wana know about the ryphorian. But it would be good to knowthe lifespans of all the playable races. Since the ryphorian are just fuzzy elves do they have a similar lifespan?

Well there is a height, weight and aging table in the Core Rules for those races. I would suggest for now, comparing the longevity from that table and from the Pathfinder table and it should give you a rough idea of how better medical tech and magic has affected lifespans on the old PF races.

Then just extrapolate how it has affected the ryphorians and adjust their old longevity appropriately.

For example Human max age used to be 70+2d20 years. Now it is 80+2d20 years. So nearly a 13% life span increase.

Distant Worlds lists Triaxus with a 317 year orbit. I think it is safe to assume their lifespans are similar to human from the inference in the fluff from there and SF sources.

Whose year? By definition, Triaxus orbits its star once per (Triaxian) year, because that's what the word "year" means. It's fine to measure time based on one universal standard year - with the caveat that measured time depends on velocity relative to frame of reference, of course. I thought I saw a rule somewhere covering this in the CRB, but I don't see anything in the Index under time or year, so I'm not sure where to look it up, but I would assume the Pact Worlds measures time based on Absalom Station, so we'd measure everything in Absaloman years, meaning we don't know if humans live longer (and mature faster) or if the station orbits faster than the planet we're assuming.

As I look at table 3-1, it seems pretty clear the weight in the table assumes Absalom standard gravity, so Absalom standard years would make a lot of sense.


Starfinder Superscriber

It is spelled out that Pact 'Standard Time' and date are based on Golarion's Day/Week/Year/etc lengths. They all correlate to earth standards (in silly American units), including those for G-forces and weights/heights. So all ages are essentially in Abasolom Station years (it's in Golarion's old orbit, at its old speed). It's in the CRB somewhere, but I'm AFB and don't recall the page number. I think it's at the very beginning of the setting section in a table in the top right.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
quindraco wrote:
Whose year? By definition, Triaxus orbits its star once per (Triaxian) year, because that's what the word "year" means.

It is called out in Pathfinder, Distant Worlds and in Starfinder that all time measurements for Golarion and the setting are based on our real world earth standards.

1 day is 24 hours.
One week is 7 days.
One year is 365 days organized into 12 months.
Etc.

When they state how many years an orbit for a planet is in their descriptions they are using those time references.

So yes one orbit of Triaxus around Golrions sun has a length of 317 Golarion Standard Years. All races ages are measured in those years as well.


Wei Ji the Learner wrote:


Winterborn, Summerborn, or Transitional?

Humor indicated

was waiting for that.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am fairly certain they provided no age limits or categories because, one, they aren't actually relevant in mos games, but more importantly, two, because they are too heavily effected by modern medicine. How long and how healthily a person lives is not determined primarily by species anymore.

Paizo Employee Creative Director, Starfinder

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Lord Fyre wrote:

Actually, the starting ages, lifespans, height, and weight (at standard gravity) of most of the Alien Archive player races remains mysterious. :(

This is not a good thing, and should have been included in their stats.

That was an oversight that we will be remedying in the near future, and going forward, we will definitely make sure to include that information for new playable races.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Robert G. McCreary wrote:
That was an oversight that we will be remedying in the near future, and going forward, we will definitely make sure to include that information for new playable races.

This is awesome, any chance information about example names can also be added, basically I'm looking to have the same information the CRB races get.


Robert G. McCreary wrote:
Lord Fyre wrote:

Actually, the starting ages, lifespans, height, and weight (at standard gravity) of most of the Alien Archive player races remains mysterious. :(

This is not a good thing, and should have been included in their stats.

That was an oversight that we will be remedying in the near future, and going forward, we will definitely make sure to include that information for new playable races.

yay!


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Robert G. McCreary wrote:
That was an oversight that we will be remedying in the near future, and going forward, we will definitely make sure to include that information for new playable races.

That's great news! I would also be interested in a few sample names for new playable races.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

May we get a supplemental .pdf at some point with that info in it, please?

Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / does anyone know what is the lifespan of the common ryphorian? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.