Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Multiple potions in a single container


Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild


Is it possible to have multiple doses of a potion in a single bottle?

Obviously due to the nature of magic/action economy/game balance only one dose could be consumed per action.

Is this a reasonable extrapolation of this FAQ?

*****

thorin001 wrote:

Is this a reasonable extrapolation of this FAQ?

No.

**

Where does that say anything about potions?

Grand Lodge ****

I'm not aware of any Pathfinder RPG rule that allows it, in contrast to scrolls.

page 477 wrote:
A potion or oil can be used only once.

**** Venture-Agent, Tennessee—Chattanooga aka ZenithTN

There are some multi-potions on PFS chronicle sheets.

I believe they use the "+50% to the lower-priced property" pricing algorithm.

Eg: Potion of cure moderate CL 3 + mage armor CL 1
300 gp + (50 gp * 150%) = 375 gp.


It sounds like Thorin is talking about multiple doses of the same potion in one bottle. With the stipulation that you can only consume 1 dose per standard action, then the practical effect of this is that if you need to consume multiple doses, then you don't need to spend an action pulling out another potion bottle.

I don't see that as game-breaking. It's balanced by the risk that a sunder or disarm will cost you more. I think I'd allow this.

I'd probably rule that the bottle is bigger. It would be harder to hide and wouldn't fit in things like spring-loaded sleeves.

Liberty's Edge **

Philo Pharynx wrote:

It sounds like Thorin is talking about multiple doses of the same potion in one bottle. With the stipulation that you can only consume 1 dose per standard action, then the practical effect of this is that if you need to consume multiple doses, then you don't need to spend an action pulling out another potion bottle.

I don't see that as game-breaking. It's balanced by the risk that a sunder or disarm will cost you more. I think I'd allow this.

I'd probably rule that the bottle is bigger. It would be harder to hide and wouldn't fit in things like spring-loaded sleeves.

That is fine for a home game. For PFS, it is not allowed.

Also flagged to move this over to the Rules area.


Gary Bush wrote:
Philo Pharynx wrote:

It sounds like Thorin is talking about multiple doses of the same potion in one bottle. With the stipulation that you can only consume 1 dose per standard action, then the practical effect of this is that if you need to consume multiple doses, then you don't need to spend an action pulling out another potion bottle.

I don't see that as game-breaking. It's balanced by the risk that a sunder or disarm will cost you more. I think I'd allow this.

I'd probably rule that the bottle is bigger. It would be harder to hide and wouldn't fit in things like spring-loaded sleeves.

That is fine for a home game. For PFS, it is not allowed.

Also flagged to move this over to the Rules area.

Well based on the linked FAQ I think the OP is looking for a PFS answer not a general rules one even though in this case the general rule is what would apply.

The Exchange ***** Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Dallas & Ft. Worth aka Belafon

If you’re NOT playing PFS, check out the Cailean Fighting Tankard in Weapon Master’s Handbook. It lets you keep six potions in one handy container.

Grand Lodge *****

My google-fu fails me right now, but I could swear that there was a rule that FAQs only effect the things they specifically stated they effect. In other words, don't extrapolate anything from FAQs but take them at face values.


Gary Bush wrote:
Philo Pharynx wrote:

It sounds like Thorin is talking about multiple doses of the same potion in one bottle. With the stipulation that you can only consume 1 dose per standard action, then the practical effect of this is that if you need to consume multiple doses, then you don't need to spend an action pulling out another potion bottle.

I don't see that as game-breaking. It's balanced by the risk that a sunder or disarm will cost you more. I think I'd allow this.

I'd probably rule that the bottle is bigger. It would be harder to hide and wouldn't fit in things like spring-loaded sleeves.

That is fine for a home game. For PFS, it is not allowed.

Also flagged to move this over to the Rules area.

Yeah, I know that it is currently not allowed. The point of the post was to get the powers that be to consider it.

Sczarni *****

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

That would be a change to the rules of Pathfinder, which is outside of the scope of PFS.


Nefreet wrote:
That would be a change to the rules of Pathfinder, which is outside of the scope of PFS.

No more so than the FAQ I referenced.


alchemist can mix potions.

And in the alchemy manual are rules for it. also, in 5the in the dmg are rules for this too


also, if it is for homebrew game, then skip all the rules and all the rulelawyers saying, just mix a number of potions, perhaps, max your int mod in a single potion with a percentage of fail or becoming a new potion

Sczarni *****

Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Since this is the PFS Forum, none of those options would be available.

Shadow Lodge **

1 person marked this as a favorite.
thorin001 wrote:
Nefreet wrote:
That would be a change to the rules of Pathfinder, which is outside of the scope of PFS.
No more so than the FAQ I referenced.

The Pathfinder rules already allow for scrolls with multiple spells on them; the FAQ you referenced places limits on that ability.

The Pathfinder rules do NOT already allow for multiple uses of a potion in a single container, so PFS allowing this would be adding a new rule, as opposed to limiting an existing one.

So yes, more so than the FAQ you referenced.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild / Multiple potions in a single container All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.