Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Your Tumor Can No Longer Protect You


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion

101 to 135 of 135 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Meaning, the odds of it not happening are incredibly low. There is a small chance that existing tumor protectors might get to stay, but I doubt there will be any new ones.

Silver Crusade

See my request in the PFS forum Scott. linky.


It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!


So, I am curious what exactly is the change to the Wolf Style feats? They did something to Wolf Savage right?


is it still possible to get the familiar folio without the change in it?


Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

How'd the fencing grace nerf go from being printed in Advanced Class Origins to Ultimate Intrigue. This is basically the same thing. Except the existing creature/class-feature itself's existence comes into question.


Covent wrote:
So, I am curious what exactly is the change to the Wolf Style feats? They did something to Wolf Savage right?

Savaging now does d4 Cha or Con damage or becomes fatigued (attacker's choice of the three) instead of a bestow curse. Oh, and you can't reduce an ability score to zero this way.


Fuzzy-Wuzzy wrote:
Covent wrote:
So, I am curious what exactly is the change to the Wolf Style feats? They did something to Wolf Savage right?
Savaging now does d4 Cha or Con damage or becomes fatigued (attacker's choice of the three) instead of a bestow curse. Oh, and you can't reduce an ability score to zero this way.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the info. However, wow that is terrible. *Shrug* Another reason not to buy Paizo stuff.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!

No doubt much of UW won’t be approved for PFS, but this screams of a change made for and at the request of PFS.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Xenocrat wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!

No doubt much of UW won’t be approved for PFS, but this screams of a change made for and at the request of PFS.

then why didn't pfs just house rule it to work the way they wanted just like they do with everything else and not ruin things for the rest of us


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lady-J wrote:
Xenocrat wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!

No doubt much of UW won’t be approved for PFS, but this screams of a change made for and at the request of PFS.
then why didn't pfs just house rule it to work the way they wanted just like they do with everything else and not ruin things for the rest of us

*Mourns Crane Style and MoMS*


Scott Wilhelm wrote:

It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!

It'll be like they did with the adventurer's guide and the resonant power of ioun stones. If you own an old source you can use it for a source of ownership for the new material, but you must all use the old material rules.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lady-J wrote:
Xenocrat wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!

No doubt much of UW won’t be approved for PFS, but this screams of a change made for and at the request of PFS.
then why didn't pfs just house rule it to work the way they wanted just like they do with everything else and not ruin things for the rest of us

That's honestly a good question, because if we look at the things they've fixed thus far, they were primarily PFS issues that could have been solved within PFS.

The MoMS abuse could've been fixed by banning the archetype altogether (thereby stopping the abuse). The Crane Style feat chain could've also been banned (or instead of the archetype, though it was really only OP at the levels where it wasn't supposed to normally have been available). This also goes for things like Desna's Shooting Star or pre-errata Divine Protection, which were outright banned before it could even be on a character in PFS, and the former of which is the only feat of its kind (Divine Fighting Techniques) to be banned (and for obvious reason).

Items like Jingasa and Falcon's Aim Bracers and other "powergamer" offenders could have similarly been banned (as was the case with items like Quick Runner's Shirt, though that still received nerfs, even after being banned from PFS), since they were always constantly taken over other items from the Core Rulebook.

But what I don't get is how other "powergaming" offenders like Fate's Favored or Dervish Dance are still permitted, even though they are probably the worst things to permit among the things that have already been nerfed that were of similar caliber.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Xenocrat wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

It seems to me that there is a distinct possibility of it not happening. Not all the sections of Pathfinder Unchained were approved for Pathfinder Society play. It is possible that not all sections of Wilderness being adopted, either.

Moreover, in order to use a rule in PFS, you need to own the book. I don't own Ultimate Wilderness, and I intend not to! If they want to make it illegal for me to have a PFS Protector Familiar, it is necessary for them to update the rules somewhere else.

Meanwhile, This uncertainty certainly affects my willingness to purchase the Familiar Folio. They already blew their chance to get me to buy Inner Sea Gods with what they did with Potion Glutton. Now they are about to miss out on my money again with Familiar Folio!

No doubt much of UW won’t be approved for PFS, but this screams of a change made for and at the request of PFS.

Not really? There were a lot of threads it cropped up in, and the creator of the familiar archetypes mentioned there were changes he wanted made to them (like Mauler’s battle form being a polymorph effect and Figment not working for Shaman). You can blame PFS if you want, but I don’t think you’re right.


Like it or no, pfs is a great big petri dish that attempts to calibrate power.

Power gamers glommed onto protector tumors because they were exploitable.
It got nerfed.

<shrug>


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The MoMS "nerf" was a good thing since it actually made the archetype better at what it was promised to be (e.g. the Kung Fu trope of a master switching between a ton of styles on the fly) with the whole "wildcard feat mechanic" allowing you to automatically have later feats in style chains for which you have prerequisites... after level 6. The previous MoMS was not actually very good at being a *Master* of *Many* styles (you could be a master of like 2 styles, or dabble in a few; it was mostly good as a 2-level dip to let people skip prerequisites.

That the Archetype doesn't fulfill its own fantasy was a good enough reason to fix it.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

That's not true because you still have to have the ranks in any skill a feat in the style chain has as a prerequisite.... so you're still really only be good at one or two.


Dragonborn3 wrote:
That's not true because you still have to have the ranks in any skill a feat in the style chain has as a prerequisite.... so you're still really only be good at one or two.

There are a bunch of combat styles that don't ask for any skill points as prerequisites though, including some good ones: Pummeling, Crane, Ascetic, Jabbing, Grabbing, Kraken, Snapping Turtle, Spear-Dancing, Tiger, Panther, etc.

So since you do still get 4 skills/level as a 10 INT monk (5 if you're human, and you probably want to be for the extra feat) you can manage to stack things like Crane Style with Snake Style and Panther Style pretty easily. The investment in acrobatics and sense motive were probably things you should have been doing anyway, and the acrobatics you invest for Snake Style also let you get Dragon Style.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Tumor familiar is a nerf that predominantly affects non 9 level casters..you can bet your bippy it goes into PFS.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh people care because of PFS. I know in our group, you can use whatever Paizo thing you want, so a repeated worse version is ignored.

But most of our PF games rush to level 7 then slow down until the GM wants to rush to 20.

PFS isn't really Pathfinder any more than something like Kirthfinder with all of its house rules.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rhedyn wrote:
PFS isn't really Pathfinder any more than something like Kirthfinder with all of its house rules.

It is moreso when PFS starts to slowly apply their rules/complaints to the base Pathfinder system.

Silver Crusade

Not everyone in PFS is clamouring for nerfs. I for one cannot understand why we are seeing so many nerfs these days, and I do not like it one little bit.


supervillan wrote:
Not everyone in PFS is clamouring for nerfs. I for one cannot understand why we are seeing so many nerfs these days, and I do not like it one little bit.

5e is popular.

5e characters are very simple but vastly overpowered.

Nerf all cool martial options to make them more like 5e.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
supervillan wrote:
Not everyone in PFS is clamouring for nerfs. I for one cannot understand why we are seeing so many nerfs these days, and I do not like it one little bit.

I think we're just at the point in Pathfinder's life cycle where "collating and reprinting" is a thing that's going to happen a lot (and that Paizo has a second game to support makes this more likely) and any time you take something from a Player Companion and put in a hardback you're going to have more eyes on it, and the PDT tends to be more careful when it comes to limiting potential abuse than the people who write the player companions.

So I think it's less "hey let's nerf some stuff" than "Hmm... this is a good archetype/feat/spell, so let's reprint it, but we should fix the problems with it."

I mean, it's not all stuff that nerfs martial characters, snowball doesn't bypass SR anymore, which makes it more in line with other 1st level spells.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
PossibleCabbage wrote:
So I think it's less "hey let's nerf some stuff" than "Hmm... this is a good archetype/feat/spell, so let's reprint it, but we should fix the problems with it."

Nuking options into oblivion isn't really fixing any problems. It's just taking the problem and turning it into a useless option, which is a different sort of problem, one that Paizo isn't obligated to fix because to them, a useless option is functioning exactly as intended.

They more often than not say "This archetype/feat/spell is too good compared to XYZ Core option, so let's nuke it to oblivion so it never becomes a problem again."

And a lot of times, the option being nuked isn't really unreasonable, and numerous times options have been nuked have been solely from PFS complaints.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Poor Jingasa and Crane Wing, PFS did you so wrong. :(


2 people marked this as a favorite.

An option that is to good is labbled power creep, but you can opt out of taking a strong option or choose to use it to help make a bad build good. Some people will over optimize and make a game boring but you can solve this by having a conversation.

Most nerfed option are bad to the point of disuse. I have never seen a new jingasa. These just become bloat. They sit in the pile of "if my gm throws it in loot I will wear it until I sell it". They make resources harder to go through for gms and players while adding nothing to the game.


Grandlounge wrote:

An option that is to good is labbled power creep, but you can opt out of taking a strong option or choose to use it to help make a bad build good. Some people will over optimize and make a game boring but you can solve this by having a conversation.

Most nerfed option are bad to the point of disuse. I have never seen a new jingasa. These just become bloat. They sit in the pile of "if my gm throws it in loot I will wear it until I sell it". They make resources harder to go through for gms and players while adding nothing to the game.

But your argument can also be used against you to an absurd degree. You really think that Divine Protection was fine the way it was? You think Pageant of the Peacock is fine in *any* game? What about Sacred Geometry?

You notice that the content that was nerfed rarely shows up because it was attacked too hard, but did you ever pay attention to the rest of the content that is in line with it? Like, say, Bulette style or something? No, you've probably never heard of them. There's a false equivalency in your argument that implies you're aware and regularly see all content in the system.


Yes, but can you still harvest your tumor familiar's organs to make bioconstructs? My dwarf alchemist needs to know.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LeesusFreak wrote:
Grandlounge wrote:

An option that is to good is labbled power creep, but you can opt out of taking a strong option or choose to use it to help make a bad build good. Some people will over optimize and make a game boring but you can solve this by having a conversation.

Most nerfed option are bad to the point of disuse. I have never seen a new jingasa. These just become bloat. They sit in the pile of "if my gm throws it in loot I will wear it until I sell it". They make resources harder to go through for gms and players while adding nothing to the game.

But your argument can also be used against you to an absurd degree. You really think that Divine Protection was fine the way it was? You think Pageant of the Peacock is fine in *any* game? What about Sacred Geometry?

You notice that the content that was nerfed rarely shows up because it was attacked too hard, but did you ever pay attention to the rest of the content that is in line with it? Like, say, Bulette style or something? No, you've probably never heard of them. There's a false equivalency in your argument that implies you're aware and regularly see all content in the system.

divine protection was fine as it was now its just a hot steaming pile of garbage


Lady-J wrote:
divine protection was fine as it was now its just a hot steaming pile of garbage

That's not fair to "hot steaming piles". Some of those can still be used for some purpose, like a compost pile. Divine protection current claim to fame is taking up valuable space in both the FAQ/errata list AND the book it's was published in.


LeesusFreak wrote:
Grandlounge wrote:

An option that is to good is labbled power creep, but you can opt out of taking a strong option or choose to use it to help make a bad build good. Some people will over optimize and make a game boring but you can solve this by having a conversation.

Most nerfed option are bad to the point of disuse. I have never seen a new jingasa. These just become bloat. They sit in the pile of "if my gm throws it in loot I will wear it until I sell it". They make resources harder to go through for gms and players while adding nothing to the game.

But your argument can also be used against you to an absurd degree. You really think that Divine Protection was fine the way it was? You think Pageant of the Peacock is fine in *any* game? What about Sacred Geometry?

You notice that the content that was nerfed rarely shows up because it was attacked too hard, but did you ever pay attention to the rest of the content that is in line with it? Like, say, Bulette style or something? No, you've probably never heard of them. There's a false equivalency in your argument that implies you're aware and regularly see all content in the system.

Funny you use Bulette style as an example, me and Grandlounge were theorycrafting a Bulette Style eidolon just two weeks ago ;)


Yeah actually i was looking at that iron juggernaut or whatever antipaladin w bulette style as an antagonist


1 person marked this as a favorite.
LeesusFreak wrote:
Grandlounge wrote:

An option that is to good is labbled power creep, but you can opt out of taking a strong option or choose to use it to help make a bad build good. Some people will over optimize and make a game boring but you can solve this by having a conversation.

Most nerfed option are bad to the point of disuse. I have never seen a new jingasa. These just become bloat. They sit in the pile of "if my gm throws it in loot I will wear it until I sell it". They make resources harder to go through for gms and players while adding nothing to the game.

But your argument can also be used against you to an absurd degree. You really think that Divine Protection was fine the way it was? You think Pageant of the Peacock is fine in *any* game? What about Sacred Geometry?

You notice that the content that was nerfed rarely shows up because it was attacked too hard, but did you ever pay attention to the rest of the content that is in line with it? Like, say, Bulette style or something? No, you've probably never heard of them. There's a false equivalency in your argument that implies you're aware and regularly see all content in the system.

False equivalence. None of that lessens the accuracy of Grandlounge's statement. They could "nerf" the things you mentioned without making them unusable, but going by history the options are likely to either be ignored or stamped into the dust rather than simply dialed back to manageable levels.

101 to 135 of 135 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Pathfinder® / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Your Tumor Can No Longer Protect You All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.