Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Whoa...Disney in negotations to buy Fox Studios


Movies

51 to 100 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

MMCJawa wrote:
GregH wrote:

I want Alpha Flight in the MCU.

What ever that takes, I'm willing to accept.

My understanding is that Alpha Flight's rights are still with Marvel, and not bundled in as part of the xmen stuff (although any mutants would not be able to be called mutants...)

Yeah, that sounds about right. Alpha Flight may have appeared in the X-Men, but the Inhumans (and Black Panther) first appeared in the Fantastic Four, but remain usable by Marvel, so I'm not sure that 'where they first appeared' is as relevant as whether or not they are mutants.

Northstar and Aurora's mutant status wasn't terribly important to their characters (indeed, they were half-Asgardian elves, once upon a horrible, horrible retcon time!, and Aurora voluntarily went through a de-mutant-ification process...), so I'd be more comfortable with Jean-Paul and Jean-Marie being non-mutants than I was with Pietro and Wanda being non-mutants.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Wasn't someone saying the defenders series wasn't moving over to this streaming Disney channel thing? cause I literally just found another article saying that it was.

Can you link to that? I only found articles implying that this might be the case, but so far the article that made most sense to me thought otherwise, as it assumed there might not be a place for the darkness of those street level heroes at the disney channel, so it might be better if they allow Netflix to continue with those characters.

I have to say that I'm a bit torn on that issue. Depending on the cost, I might be willing to spend money on that Disney channel, but on the other hand, most of the things I watch at Netflix are Netflix originals and other non-Disney stuff. so it's not that I really need that new offering. On the other hand, if they would really get their hands on the FOX rights,that might be a huge argument for that channel because of X-Men.


Set wrote:
Northstar and Aurora's mutant status wasn't terribly important to their characters (indeed, they were half-Asgardian elves, once upon a horrible, horrible retcon time!

Oh god, I’d forgotten about that. But then I’ve pretty much managed to expunge everything from my memory that is post-Byrne. (Except for that horrible demon-in-Puck idea. I just can’t seem to shake that one.)


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Y'know, we may live in a hellish monopoly-dominated capitalist dystopia, but at least we might one day get Magneto in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kobold Cleaver wrote:
Y'know, we may live in a hellish monopoly-dominated capitalist dystopia, but at least we might one day get Magneto in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

It's good to have perspective. Remember what's truly important.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
WormysQueue wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Wasn't someone saying the defenders series wasn't moving over to this streaming Disney channel thing? cause I literally just found another article saying that it was.

Can you link to that? I only found articles implying that this might be the case, but so far the article that made most sense to me thought otherwise, as it assumed there might not be a place for the darkness of those street level heroes at the disney channel, so it might be better if they allow Netflix to continue with those characters.

I have to say that I'm a bit torn on that issue. Depending on the cost, I might be willing to spend money on that Disney channel, but on the other hand, most of the things I watch at Netflix are Netflix originals and other non-Disney stuff. so it's not that I really need that new offering. On the other hand, if they would really get their hands on the FOX rights,that might be a huge argument for that channel because of X-Men.

My understanding is that Netflix also helped finance these productions. Which would make it very difficult for Disney to just yank them.

More likely, the netflix stuff will become even more divorced from the greater MCU, with characters possibly getting replaced in new movies.


All I know is Galactus fighting the Avengers needs to be a thing.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

The great big sucky space cloud wouldn't make anyone happy. It really needs to be a giant dude in a blue and pink armour. The big 'G' on the chest is also necessary.


ABC make the Netflix series but Netflix finances them in return for screening rights and Netflix have certain rights over them, I suspect including re-screening rights for the series in perpetuity and first right to show them.

It's possible that Disney built in a way of getting the rights back to the franchise when they signed the original deal with Netflix, but it's not going to be too easy for them. They might have to give Netflix a titanic amount of money.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sissyl,

I don't need the big G on his chest, but the purple armor and helmut are a must.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

7 people marked this as a favorite.

I want this to happen for just one reason: It just seems WRONG when Star Wars movies open without the Fox Fanfare (with CinemaScope extension).


Vic,

It's wrong but it's just until Fox decides that it should do Image comics. :p ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Negotiations back on between Fox and Disney

I know there is concern over monopolies, which I do share, but ya know...if the options are Comcast (a company I loath with the fire of a thousand suns) or Sony (who screwed up Spiderman so bad Disney had to come over and reboot the character), I'll take Disney.

Kind of wonder if that earlier leak was intentional, to get Disney more interested by seeing fanboy reactions.


Maybe MMC, all I care abot if if Fox gives us back FF stuff. They can keep the X-men if they want it.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Maybe MMC, all I care abot if if Fox gives us back FF stuff. They can keep the X-men if they want it.

Well, its pretty much all or nothing here...


Really? I mean they gave up Ego. What do they want if not the Mutants?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Thomas Seitz wrote:
Really? I mean they gave up Ego. What do they want if not the Mutants?

The Murdoch's are selling off Fox Studios. They are not going to sell it piece meal for a dime here and there. The more established properties and potential properties the studio owns, the more they can ask.

Basically, the only way in the near term the FF (unless some top secret deal happened before sales talk even happened) are going to join the MCU is if Disney buys it. Otherwise those rights are either going to head over to Sony, Comcast, or Verizon.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MMCJawa wrote:

Negotiations back on between Fox and Disney

I know there is concern over monopolies, which I do share, but ya know...if the options are Comcast (a company I loath with the fire of a thousand suns) or Sony (who screwed up Spiderman so bad Disney had to come over and reboot the character), I'll take Disney.

Kind of wonder if that earlier leak was intentional, to get Disney more interested by seeing fanboy reactions.

Yep, most people knowledgeable about the industry said the talks were not dead, they simply stalled for a bit and would resume. I would be pretty suprised if Disney doesn’t end up closing this deal ...

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Marc Radle wrote:
Yep, most people knowledgeable about the industry said the talks were not dead, they simply stalled for a bit and would resume. I would be pretty suprised if Disney doesn’t end up closing this deal ...

Wouldn't be much of a negotiation if one side or the other didn't walk away from the table at least once. I'd expect haggling to continue until the ink is dry.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's probably over price. The complete 20th Century Fox back catalogue is insanely valuable at any time, but Disney acquiring it now would allow them to whack it on their new streaming service in 2019 and that would add tens of thousands of content to the service (some immediately, some they'll have to wait until their existing streaming agreements with Amazon and Netflix expire).

I mean, they're not just buying X-Men, they're also buying Alien, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Simpsons.

I have no idea how you would even begin to price the value of that. $10 billion I think would be the absolute starting position and it could go a lot higher than that.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

And also they are buying Firefly and Almost Human.


Good points Wert and Hama.

In any case I'll believe when the ink dries.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Almost Human. I could see an attempt at reviving firefly with like one maybe two original members lol


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Werthead wrote:

It's probably over price. The complete 20th Century Fox back catalogue is insanely valuable at any time, but Disney acquiring it now would allow them to whack it on their new streaming service in 2019 and that would add tens of thousands of content to the service (some immediately, some they'll have to wait until their existing streaming agreements with Amazon and Netflix expire).

I mean, they're not just buying X-Men, they're also buying Alien, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Simpsons.

I have no idea how you would even begin to price the value of that. $10 billion I think would be the absolute starting position and it could go a lot higher than that.

Yeah, this is absolutely spot on. I heard $50 billion bandied about as the number but it could be higher than that.


*ponders how much he could do with 50 billion US dollars*


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Yeah, this is absolutely spot on. I heard $50 billion bandied about as the number but it could be higher than that.

That would be insane, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. If Lucasfilm was worth $4 billion by itself (which Episode VII and Rogue One pretty much made back by themselves after media sales and streaming, so everything from here on out is just gravy) and that was really just the Star Wars, then the combined value of everything 20th Century Fox has has got to much more, especially as the industry regarded Lucasfilm going for $4 billion as a pretty good bargain.

I mean, I don't think you can easily list 20th Century Fox's TV shows and movies. They own the entire Irwin Allen back catalogue and other stuff going right back to the 1950s. Avatar you have to imagine would be worth at least a billion by itself (maybe a lot more, since Disney would inherit the sequels as well).

This would easily be the biggest entertainment deal in history. The only thing I can see Disney balking at is the price, so it might come down to how badly Fox want to offload their entertainment division.

Liberty's Edge

My understanding is that Fox wants to sell off their entertainment properties VERY badly ...

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

*resists urge to make political comment*

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Marc Radle wrote:
My understanding is that Fox wants to sell off their entertainment properties VERY badly ...

Why?

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Orville Redenbacher wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath on Almost Human. I could see an attempt at reviving firefly with like one maybe two original members lol

But almost human is awesome

Sovereign Court

Hama wrote:
Orville Redenbacher wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath on Almost Human. I could see an attempt at reviving firefly with like one maybe two original members lol
But almost human is awesome

The first two eps were pretty damn good, though, AH went down hill super fast after that. I'm sure Karl Urban doesn't mind not being shackled to network TV. A cool concept that wasn't executed well enough to live long term.

I heard Scott wants the Alien franchise to move away from the Aliens....Not sure what he has in mind it sounds like Indy Jones with no travel or action to me; but maybe I just lack imagination?

Shadow Lodge Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

He wants to make it about AI and the androids, from what I’ve heard.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

so going back to my analogy, a series based on Professor Jones class lectures...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lord Fyre wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:
My understanding is that Fox wants to sell off their entertainment properties VERY badly ...

Why?

Probably to pay for all the sexual allegations/lawsuits.

Dark Archive

Benchak the Nightstalker wrote:
He wants to make it about AI and the androids, from what I’ve heard.

Like everyone else who's worked with Fassbender, he wants to make it all about Fassbender. The man is crack, apparently.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

yeah my sense is the marvel properties and New Hope rights are just a nice bonus for disney. If they are going to launch a streaming service that targets adults as well as kids, they are going to need an impressive library of movies that are attractive to those folks. Fox gives them that.

Although I find this balkanization of the streaming services ever more annoying. If you click on the netflix front page, at least my page, almost all of the content is new original material. Some of that is pretty great, but I honestly mostly picked netflix for horror movies and TV shows. Strongly considering canceling for awhile after I catch up with a few shows I am currently watching.


MMCJawa wrote:

yeah my sense is the marvel properties and New Hope rights are just a nice bonus for disney. If they are going to launch a streaming service that targets adults as well as kids, they are going to need an impressive library of movies that are attractive to those folks. Fox gives them that.

Although I find this balkanization of the streaming services ever more annoying. If you click on the netflix front page, at least my page, almost all of the content is new original material. Some of that is pretty great, but I honestly mostly picked netflix for horror movies and TV shows. Strongly considering canceling for awhile after I catch up with a few shows I am currently watching.

Agreed. I got Netflix and Hulu and because I like to watch all the TV and movies I already love. I don't care about 'original programming' in the least. I think Marvel Netflix and Hemlock Grove were the only Netflix originals I watched all of.

With the focus on original shows... the rest of the libraries are dropping fast. It's barely worth having anymore


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Don't care about original programming? wow I get bored watching the same thing more then twice even if I really like it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Don't care about original programming? wow I get bored watching the same thing more then twice even if I really like it.

Not me. I have at least 500+ DVDs on 3 bookshelves that I watch over and over again. Netflix started out as a way to rent DVDs without buying them and catch up on all those seasons of shows that the local family video didn't carry. Then it moved to streaming them at work and on the home computer so I didn't even have to wait for the DVDs... It was like my DVD shelf grew 100 fold without having to actually buy or store them.

Brand new original shows that were never on tv or the theater?? Only on Hulu or Netflix or Amazon or Disney? No particular excitement there. There's the occasional gold found there, but I much prefer having access to the thousands of movies I already love wherever I happen to be.

I would probably buy the Disney streaming if they break open that massive Disney vault and give us all their old classics. Not just the star wars or marvel stuff I already bought... but I want all the classics. Absent Minded Professor, Shaggy Dog, Apple Dumpling Gang... all those shows I watched on VHS when I was a kid but never get aired anymore?? Add in their bazillion cartoons like DuckTales and Gargoyles...

Man... Disney is one of the few 'networks' that actually HAS a library that would be worth paying a few bucks a month for even without Fox tossed in.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Keep in mind that there will be a new Star Wars live action TV show...

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

One thing I've come to appreciate Netflix for is saving shows on the chopping block. Some of y'all are in the "who cares" camp, but imagine if your favorite show Firefly had the chance for an extended run?

The original streaming programming is still in the early stages of hit and miss. I'd consider Stranger Things a big hit and kimmy Schmidt a gigantic miss. (Though people love it so I guess there is no accounting for taste.)

One thing I don't like on the horizon is paid streaming service with commercial interruption. I don't pay for network TV period. I also don't like tiered payment games (but suppose I should get used to it with net neutrality going away).

Content will be king, and if these companies keep buying each other up it should get better for everyone; albeit with annoying pay scales and other non-sense (you thought you could cut the cord!).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Don't care about original programming? wow I get bored watching the same thing more then twice even if I really like it.

I am fine with the original programming, as long as it didn't compromise the non-original movie and show selection. For instance, I enjoyed Stranger Things, Marvel Netflix, and have also watched a few of the non genre shows, like Narcos, Mindhunter, and Orange is the New Black. But there are a ton of comedies and dramas I don't care about, and the money spent on those takes away from the rights purchases of other products.

Although I do realize that Netflix might not have had too much of an ability to do otherwise. Seems like everyone suddenly wants there own streaming platforms, and are no longer releasing their products to Netflix.

And yes, Disney's service is going to have a new star wars show, but just like new trek wasn't enough to convince me to watch CBS Access, a star wars show won't be sufficient to get me to subscribe to their station.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The only specialized streaming service I might shell out for is the Warner Brothers one because of the resurrection of Young Justice (the Titans TV show and rumored Harley and Ivy show are just a bonus.) Discovery certainly wasn't enough to get me to pay for CBS All Access (especially since every thing I've heard says it doesn't feel like Trek.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
MMCJawa wrote:
Vidmaster7 wrote:
Don't care about original programming? wow I get bored watching the same thing more then twice even if I really like it.

I am fine with the original programming, as long as it didn't compromise the non-original movie and show selection. For instance, I enjoyed Stranger Things, Marvel Netflix, and have also watched a few of the non genre shows, like Narcos, Mindhunter, and Orange is the New Black. But there are a ton of comedies and dramas I don't care about, and the money spent on those takes away from the rights purchases of other products.

Although I do realize that Netflix might not have had too much of an ability to do otherwise. Seems like everyone suddenly wants there own streaming platforms, and are no longer releasing their products to Netflix.

And yes, Disney's service is going to have a new star wars show, but just like new trek wasn't enough to convince me to watch CBS Access, a star wars show won't be sufficient to get me to subscribe to their station.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I liked Netflix for what it was, which was essentially an advanced replacement for the old video rental places. You could go there and pick up but the most recent movies and latest shows.

I don't want that. I don't want every content creator to have their own service I have to subscribe to if I ever want to see anything from that company, including all the huge back catalog of decades worth of material I either haven't seen or haven't seen since it came out.

Sovereign Court

This is the a la carte model future folks were clamoring for.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

According to a report from CNBC, a deal could be announced as early as next week


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pan wrote:
This is the a la carte model future folks were clamoring for.

It might be the "a la carte model" for cable folks were clamoring for, but that's why I likened Netflix to a video rental place, not a cable channel. Because that's completely how it functioned until recently and still largely does.

The problem I have is that we're losing easy access to all that back catalog, which we've had one way or another since vcrs came out.

Mind you, even this future is probably better than the non-a la carte model - where you'd have to buy Netflix, CBS, Disney and a dozen other services if you wanted any of them.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:


Mind you, even this future is probably better than the non-a la carte model - where you'd have to buy Netflix, CBS, Disney and a dozen other services if you wanted any of them.

I cant imagine the price will go down as all content is gobbled up by a few companies. Eventually, you'll get supernetflix for the cost of 29.99 a month instead of Netflix for 10. /shrug


Pan wrote:
thejeff wrote:


Mind you, even this future is probably better than the non-a la carte model - where you'd have to buy Netflix, CBS, Disney and a dozen other services if you wanted any of them.

I cant imagine the price will go down as all content is gobbled up by a few companies. Eventually, you'll get supernetflix for the cost of 29.99 a month instead of Netflix for 10. /shrug

I think it's still better than Cable though. My mom pays between $80-$100 for satellite every month... and I have never wanted sports, cooking, reality, or a ton of others. She had 300+ channels, and I think when I set up a playlist for myself, there were about 15 channels that I was interested in watching. I've long been in favor of buying the channels you want and skipping the other 250+.

IF every channel does end up getting their own pay service... I still think i'd save money over cable. Right now I've got Netflix and Hulu and that covers pretty much every non-CW show I'm interested in. I'd have loved to watch the new Star Trek... but after consideration that was the ONLY CBS show I was interested in... (not counting Elementrary that's on hiatus and feels like it's almost finished.) I'm not paying CBS for one show.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am trying to cut down on my channels, but at current I have subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and Shudder (through Amazon Prime). That's a decent amount of change, and I still find things I want to see locked behind OTHER channels/subscriptions I don't have.

51 to 100 of 205 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Gamer Life / Movies / Whoa...Disney in negotations to buy Fox Studios All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.