Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Initial Hacker Operative Feats


Advice


I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these.

Amplified Glitch seems an obvious choice for 3rd level, but I'm in a bit of a quandary for 1st.

Thoughts?


Either Mobility or Improved Initiative are generally useful to operatives. You may want shot on the run eventually, and Improved Initiative stacks with operatives edge.

There isn't any particularly 'hacker' feat at 1st level, since you already have skill focus computers, and skill focus engineering.


A lot of people advocate great fortitude. You will want weapon focus at some time.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I took weapon focus.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I took skill synergy. though that was because I want the character to really extole the whole "ace pilot" thing, and so I grabbed a bonus to both Piloting and Computers.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AtlasSniperman wrote:
I took skill synergy. though that was because I want the character to really extole the whole "ace pilot" thing, and so I grabbed a bonus to both Piloting and Computers.

Just note that insight bonuses don't stack, so skill synergy on an operative is a waste.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
nicholas storm wrote:
AtlasSniperman wrote:
I took skill synergy. though that was because I want the character to really extole the whole "ace pilot" thing, and so I grabbed a bonus to both Piloting and Computers.
Just note that insight bonuses don't stack, so skill synergy on an operative is a waste.

True, but I do not tend to play optimally, and am multiclassing Operative/Technomancer. It should work quite well for my purposes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

3 levels of operative gives you a +2 insight bonus on all skills - so at that point skill synergy for the +2 insight has no effect. Also, tech lore from technomancer is also an insight bonus.


AtlasSniperman wrote:
nicholas storm wrote:
AtlasSniperman wrote:
I took skill synergy. though that was because I want the character to really extole the whole "ace pilot" thing, and so I grabbed a bonus to both Piloting and Computers.
Just note that insight bonuses don't stack, so skill synergy on an operative is a waste.
True, but I do not tend to play optimally, and am multiclassing Operative/Technomancer. It should work quite well for my purposes.

But by taking Skill Synergy to boost your piloting skill as an Operative, you're not really extolling the "ace pilot" theme at all since the feat is doing literally nothing to actually boost your piloting skills. Or perception skills for that matter.

The only reason an operative should take Skill Synergy is to add what few skills aren't on their class skill list to their class skill list. Operative's edge renders any insight bonuses the feat gives you irrelevant.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Ventnor wrote:
AtlasSniperman wrote:
nicholas storm wrote:
AtlasSniperman wrote:
I took skill synergy. though that was because I want the character to really extole the whole "ace pilot" thing, and so I grabbed a bonus to both Piloting and Computers.
Just note that insight bonuses don't stack, so skill synergy on an operative is a waste.
True, but I do not tend to play optimally, and am multiclassing Operative/Technomancer. It should work quite well for my purposes.

But by taking Skill Synergy to boost your piloting skill as an Operative, you're not really extolling the "ace pilot" theme at all since the feat is doing literally nothing to actually boost your piloting skills. Or perception skills for that matter.

The only reason an operative should take Skill Synergy is to add what few skills aren't on their class skill list to their class skill list. Operative's edge renders any insight bonuses the feat gives you irrelevant.

Then this raises an additional concern.

If insight bonus's don't stack, Why do Operatives gain Skill focus(+3 insight bonus) on two skills, in addition to their edge, when the edge will simply underlap on those skills until the operative reaches level 7 where it is then effectively skill focus on all skills, and then again at 11 where the skill focus' are both useless class features with no impact on the character, and no use to retraining.


AtlasSniperman wrote:

Then this raises an additional concern.

If insight bonus's don't stack, Why do Operatives gain Skill focus(+3 insight bonus) on two skills, in addition to their edge, when the edge will simply underlap on those skills until the operative reaches level 7 where it is then effectively skill focus on all skills, and then again at 11 where the skill focus' are both useless class features with no impact on the character, and no use to retraining.

I realize it's a little counter-intuitive, but it's actually a pretty nice solution. Gaining Skill Focus at level 1 gives operatives a good skill boost at low levels when they need it to to justify being "the skills guy" and land Trick Attacks, but since Skill Focus doesn't stack with Operative's Edge it keeps them from being skill monsters down the line. They're still excellent skill guys, but the technomancer that spent one of her precious feats to take Skill Focus: Engineering is still gonna be in the running for best Scotty.

When you reach level 7 and the Skill Focus +3 bonus no longer matters, you conveniently gain Skill Mastery, allowing you to T10 on Skill Focus checks even in combat, which is a really useful ability in its own right. Right out of the gate it means you basically never have to roll another Trick Attack skill check, and it also opens up new opportunities down the line. Skill Focus: Piloting is a great option for operative pilots since it means they'll almost never fail a stunt check in Starship Combat, for example.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Starfinder® / Advice / Initial Hacker Operative Feats All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.