Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Barricade


Advice


Game 1 for my Exocortex Mechanic - longarms was postponed to this week, so I have a couple days of fine tuning.

What are your thoughts about Skill Synergy (acrobatics/ Stealth) vs Barricade? Should I end up taking both feats eventually?

Can a barricade be used by more than one character? Can additional barricades be constructed for other players? What’s the endurance factor of a barricade and will not scale with my level?


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've seen the Exo-Mechanic in our games use Barricade to great effect, cover is very important in Starfinder, especially at low levels. It works for others, also -- there's nothing to indicate it doesn't provide cover for others as long as it exists. However, it is as described extremely fragile, and at most might last a couple of rounds especially in a heavy firefight.

The Exchange

I think both of those are excellent choices, which you want first really seems like a play style choice. Barricade is good, particularly if you're combining it with an already decent AC. Keep in mind that it'll take a few turns to deploy, since you'll also need to activate your combat tracking and move to a good point on the map. They both provide immediate and solid benefits at level one.

If I had to pick without knowing more of your character and how you play it I'd say skill synergy. That gives you a few turns to play and get used to activating combat tracking, identifying a good shooting position & moving to it. And attacking. Before adding another action into the mix.


barricade is nice also when you are in a room that does not have much/any prebuilt cover. Getting shot hurts so everything you can do to mitigate that helps. Even if it only lasts a couple rounds that still tends to help.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

What exactly does barricade do for you that you couldn't do without the feat?


It lets you mcguyver cover out of almost nothing, rather than hoping there's a table to kick over or a counter to get behind.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yup. What Rysky said. It explicitly allows the construction of cover out of things that normally can't give cover, and allows it as a Move Action.

That's a significant advantage even if the GM would normally let you construct cover as a move action, something not all GMs will always allow.

Personally I'd stick with Skill Synergy anyway, but Barricade is a nice Feat.


Deadmanwalking wrote:

Yup. What Rysky said. It explicitly allows the construction of cover out of things that normally can't give cover, and allows it as a Move Action.

That's a significant advantage even if the GM would normally let you construct cover as a move action, something not all GMs will always allow.

Personally I'd stick with Skill Synergy anyway, but Barricade is a nice Feat.

I think I’ll stick to Skill Synergy, but by third level would Barricade be worth it or move on to other combat feats?

Liberty's Edge

Barricade's a reasonable choice at 3rd, yeah. It really depends what you want to focus on more than anything else.


Barricade also lets you do it as a single move action. Even a room with the right stuff to make cover ( boxes of printer paper, say ), might require several rounds worth of work minimum to turn it into usable cover ( they are scattered about at most stacked two high ). Barricade lets you ignore that.


Ravingdork wrote:
What exactly does barricade do for you that you couldn't do without the feat?

Everyone has a different opinion of that, it seems.

Some people think that it forces the GM to allow them to spontaneously generate cover and if the GM didn't describe suitable objects beforehand they absolutely didn't exist without this feat.
Others think it lets you build cover out of a file folder and a ham sandwich.
Still more believe that it simply speeds up the time it takes to accomplish the task and it is up to the GM whether the feat is usable in a given situation.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Bloodrealm wrote:
Everyone has a different opinion of that, it seems.

Do they? Most people seem mostly in agreement on this one. You're one of the few people who seems not to be.

Bloodrealm wrote:
Some people think that it forces the GM to allow them to spontaneously generate cover and if the GM didn't describe suitable objects beforehand they absolutely didn't exist without this feat.

Some people might think that, I suppose. I haven't actually seen anyone say this, though. Suggest that most GMs will allow it most of the time? Yes. Suggest it can always be used in all circumstances? No.

Bloodrealm wrote:
Others think it lets you build cover out of a file folder and a ham sandwich.

This is true. Just about the only thing people legitimately do debate is what the low end for things Barricade can use to make cover is.

Bloodrealm wrote:
Still more believe that it simply speeds up the time it takes to accomplish the task and it is up to the GM whether the feat is usable in a given situation.

Anyone who thinks this is factually wrong. The Feat's rules text explicitly states it allows you to make cover out of things you couldn't without the Feat. The low end of that is a GM call and point of contention, but the fact that it allows you to make cover out of some things you couldn't ever use as cover sans Feat is pretty indisputable.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

It's also highly arbitrary. :\


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Barricade is a test of the "Say Yes" GM rule, to be sure. But when I think about in most scenarios the level of JUNK that would realistically dot most RPG combat landscapes, it isn't a big stretch.

In fact,I like it because it reminds me as a GM to be mindful of including more dynamic scenery when I set up a combat. In my experience at home and at cons, too often we GMs as a whole just make flat plateaus or blank 10 x 10 corridors and huge empty rooms, and don't think enough about it. The players too, often just roll with it and don't bother to ask about cover and advantageous terrain.

With a player asking, "is there stuff to make my barricade from?" every combat, it prompts me to add stuff either descriptively or to draw a few extra pieces for the people without the feat to do something with.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
ENHenry wrote:

Barricade is a test of the "Say Yes" GM rule, to be sure. But when I think about in most scenarios the level of JUNK that would realistically dot most RPG combat landscapes, it isn't a big stretch.

In fact,I like it because it reminds me as a GM to be mindful of including more dynamic scenery when I set up a combat. In my experience at home and at cons, too often we GMs as a whole just make flat plateaus or blank 10 x 10 corridors and huge empty rooms, and don't think enough about it. The players too, often just roll with it and don't bother to ask about cover and advantageous terrain.

With a player asking, "is there stuff to make my barricade from?" every combat, it prompts me to add stuff either descriptively or to draw a few extra pieces for the people without the feat to do something with.

Yeh, for sure! How often is a room “empty “? In everyday occurrences we see a variety of furniture, boxes, etc that I can’t possible see why it would hard to fabricate a barricade. I wonder if Barricade could be used to temporarily block enemies when chasing you?


I've brought the idea of barricade up with my GM cause I really like it for my ysoki drone mechanic. His thoughts on rulings of available objects is that if there are obviously stated suitable objects there barricade will function normally. If there is nothing obvious he said he would have me do a perception roll to see if I can find something to use. That seemed fair to me


Slightly off topic, but I'm reminded of an item in John Ringo's first series. They human soldiers had a grenade-like device that was designed to blow out six foot deep holes in the ground. It was instant foxhole pretty much anywhere.

Definitely an idea for a homegame for a character with the skills to use plasma explosives.


EC Gamer Guy wrote:

Slightly off topic, but I'm reminded of an item in John Ringo's first series. They human soldiers had a grenade-like device that was designed to blow out six foot deep holes in the ground. It was instant foxhole pretty much anywhere.

Definitely an idea for a homegame for a character with the skills to use plasma explosives.

and they were wearing power armour so they could survive the blast :-)

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Starfinder® / Advice / Barricade All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.