Two spells in particular I would like to be able to use are Shield and Mirror Image. I wanted to know peoples thoughts on Mirror Image specifically for a Tetori. Would it be useful in scroll form with UMD. The campaign we are playing for does have an arena where we will take part in gladiatorial combat vs beasts and I am looking for ways to improve my survivability.
It all depends do you have the int to cast the spell? Do you require a second roll? The Wisdom check on a failure is likely not a big deal for you.
Will you get enough mirror images to make casting the spell valuable?
The value of this particular question is very situational if given a specific fight I can tell you but there will be no general rule.
Do you want to be pend on something that fails on a ? Maybe, maybe not.
|Taja the Barbarian|
- A DC 23+ Check to 'Use Scroll' (assuming the 'standard' Caster Level 3)
- A DC 27 Check if you don't have the 12 Intelligence required to cast a level 2 Wizard Spell
Once you successfully use this scroll, you will have 1d4+1 images for a couple of minutes, which could reduce the number of times you are hit. However, there are a couple of possible issues:
- Sightless opponents won't be distracted by the images.
- If your AC is already pretty good, the images will likely be wasted (being missed by 5 or less automatically destroys an image).
- Finally, such a scroll will cost you at least 150 gold.
So, the questions are:
- Can you routinely make the required UMD check(s)? If you 'dumped' Charisma, this may be a serious issue.
- Is the spell likely to actually help?
- Will you have access to these scrolls and the cash to buy them (usually not an issue, but consumable use can add up.
|Taja the Barbarian|
Wisdom is 14 and INT is 9 that is an issue. And yes I dumped Charisma lol :)
Well, Intelligence and Charisma are the only two stats most monk builds don't 'need' so it's not exactly surprising...
- If your GM allows scrolls crafted by an Adept, a scroll will retail for 200g and will require a single DC24 check of a non-class skill tied to a 'dump stat' which means you'll need at least 5 ranks before the check even becomes possible and probably 10-15 ranks before it becomes practical.
- If you can only get the 'standard' Wizard scrolls, you will need to make a DC23 check and a DC27 check of a non-class skill tied to a 'dump stat' which means you'll need at least 8 ranks before the check even becomes possible and probably 15 ranks before it becomes practical.
A scroll of Shield will be slightly easier to use (DCs 21 and 26), but only slightly (Adepts don't get this spell, but I know Spiritualists do, so you can get a Wisdom based version in theory).
Are you familiar with how to umd from scrolls? It's kind of a pain.
Umd is good. The spells you want are good. So it is a matter of what you score is and how much time your gm gives you to fiddle with magic items before you fight.
The GM seems to give me time to fiddle before entering rooms etc to use Shield or any other low level scroll I want to activate. Now the thing is by level 8 I should have a UMD of +5. That is rather pathetic certainly. However I was thinking maybe I can get a wand key ring and buy scrolls of Mirror Image. We are just going to get a wand of Shield and with a +5 I can probably roll a 15 or more once in four tries.
Actually I'd like to ask all you knowledgeable people on this thread, if you could as a tetori use a wand key ring to link to one scroll which one would u link it to? Which is best for him?