Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Strength Based Soldier In Starship Combat


Advice

1 to 50 of 99 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

I am curious if I am missing something or is there no real way for a Strength based soldier to contribute in starship combat?

If I went dex based I could do gunnery, and I do have some dex and full bab so I am better than nothing.

I also find it weird that there is no way for the big scary lizard that can literally tear your arm off can't get his strength bonus to intimidate anymore.

It seems that Strength does vary little anymore besides making you hit people harder.

Dark Archive

Well that and carry more, hit better with throne weapons,and jump/swim.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Throne weapons hehehehe great mental image. His majesty is not pleased *hucks his throne at you* all those pointy bits and what have you... would give a whole new dimension to Game of thrones.

Dark Archive

He he he ah spell check thank you so much for that Correction. I will now make a demented vesk who believes himself to be a king of some backwater planet. running around smashing people with his fake throne


So hit people better and throw better, and jump and swim. I don't know how often swimming comes up in sci-fi...

So I didn't really miss anything. It makes sense though.
What would Str be used for in starship combat?
The only decent idea I have seen is that because of the high G-forces involved in the dog fighting Str is required to man the guns.

I am curious as to what other ideas people have for why str might be useful in starship combat.

I suppose I could throw things out the airlock at the other ship?
GRENADES IN SPACE!

I suppose another way to ask this is "What does Drax do when the Guardians of the Galaxy get into a dogfight?"
I seem to remember him hanging out of the back of the ship with a tether, and shooting at them, but in Starfinder that is dex


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is good examples in the Sci-fi however. such as Klingon teleporting to the command decks. and space marines boarding enemy ships etc.


Teleportation doesn't work ship to ship. Boarding enemy ships mid fight seems to be very very difficult to do by the rules.

I suppose I could insist our ship keep a supply of torpedoes with seats on them :P


that is how the space marines do it XD literally torpedoes shot into enemy ships. also teleportation should work ship to ship :P I was not aware it didn't <disappointed>


I recently made a post about how weak str is in Starfinder. Compared to the other physical stat, dex, str does very little.

Unless you are going heavy weapons and armor, 10 str and an industrial backpack is enough to carry anything.

Once you are past level 4 no one will ever be making athletics checks because there are so many augments, armor upgrades, feats and spells that give climb, fly and swim speeds it's ridiculous.

And no, str doesn't do anything in starships either. So invest some points into dex and be a gunner w/ you full BAB.

Honestly, solarians should be the only ones messing around with str, and only because the class is clearly designed around melee combat. It's just going to hold you back, especially on a soldier who get so little out-of-combat utility. At least a dex soldier can scout and on a ship, either pilot or shoot guns.

Dark Archive

Yes str does nothing for ship combat in starfinder.


YEah only thing I can think of really would be a situation where the dm needs you to move something heavy that might have been damaged.


Vidmaster7 wrote:
that is how the space marines do it XD literally torpedoes shot into enemy ships. also teleportation should work ship to ship :P I was not aware it didn't <disappointed>

It is in the Starship combat section I believe.

Space McMan
I read your thread after I started this one actually.

Mike Roper
Do you have any ideas of things we could make str do in starship combat?

Dark Archive

Hmm well if you could use a str check to reload Torpedoes or missiles would work.


That is currently automatic is it not?

Dark Archive

Yes but only for 5 shots is my understanding


So are you suggesting having a str check to reload after the 5 shots?
Could be something certainly...

Dark Archive

5 or even just one per check. Totally stealing this idea from David webber and the books honor harrington. When one missile launcher was broken but the ammo was fine and the other launcher had no missiles in it. They moved the rounds with counter grav and pure muscle


I will think more on this.
I want to try come up with ideas.
I suppose it depends on how 'sci-fi' we are getting. If you think of ships in starfinder as submarines today, so many things require strength.

Dark Archive

On you post where you say "I also find it weird that there is no way for the big scary lizard that can literally tear your arm off can't get his strength bonus to intimidate anymore." I also wish that was a feat or something and will miss it. But I think we need to shift our mind sets. Sure in when everything must be done with muscle in a society it will be greatly valued and respected however in a more technological Society strength usefulness is greatly reduced after all you should fear the thin Man with the goo amax 9000 Plasma Pistol as much or more than the roid buffed dude with an axe if nothing else due to the fact of how far he can kill you with it. However in both cases it's your ability to use said weapons as a threat that will intimidate your opponent and that at least in starfinder is based on charisma. I feel.


mike roper wrote:

On you post where you say "I also find it weird that there is no way for the big scary lizard that can literally tear your arm off can't get his strength bonus to intimidate anymore." I also wish that was a feat or something and will miss it. But I think we need to shift our mind sets. Sure in when everything must be done with muscle in a society it will be greatly valued and respected however in a more technological Society strength usefulness is greatly reduced after all you should fear the thin Man with the goo amax 9000 Plasma Pistol as much or more than the roid buffed dude with an axe if nothing else due to the fact of how far he can kill you with it. However in both cases it's your ability to use said weapons as a threat that will intimidate your opponent and that at least in starfinder is based on charisma. I feel.

You do raise a good point.

But let's look at today. We have weapons take are capable of doing serious damage at serious range, and these certainly are intimidating.

However there is a terror unique to being stuck in a room with a guy twice your size with an axe.

Dark Archive

mike roper wrote:

Agree but less so if I have and I'm trained in my goo a Max 9000. Why I said wish there was a feat


I personally like it better when it was a circumstance bonus that I awarded as a dm anyways.


I wonder why they removed intimidating prowess...

With that feat str based characters could play the role of captain on a starship

Dark Archive

Vidmaster7 wrote:
I personally like it better when it was a circumstance bonus that I awarded as a dm anyways.

for sure. That however becomes based on hgm and players.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
Vidmaster7 wrote:
also teleportation should work ship to ship :P I was not aware it didn't <disappointed>

You can teleport ship to ship, just not while they are moving at fast speeds.

Core Rulebook pg. 326 wrote:

TELEPORTING BETWEEN STARSHIPS:

Starships in combat are constantly in motion, so it is impossible for a
PC to cast a spell with the teleportation descriptor to travel between
vessels. Even if a spellcaster has seen the inside of the target
starship, the relative speeds between two moving vessels mean that
the destination has changed before casting the spell is complete. PCs
can teleport only between stationary starships.


Fair enough.

Maybe they wanted to redesign it or save it for a later book. Page limit was probably a thing. People have been having trouble with the page count its so big that its breaks its binding.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

Granted it states that it is only for teleportation spells. We may eventually see a ship upgrade that allows a faster teleport or even lets a computer cast a teleport spell through a spell chip that can, with a successful target lock or lock on check, teleport people onto a ship in motion as the ship's sensor's calculate the destination while the spell casts.


Hmm I guess that is a nicer way of doing it then saying roll d100 and 85% of the time you end up in the vacuum of space instead.


Probably...

I always hate things like "stationary" in space, especially when they then go on to talk about relative velocity.

What happens if two ships are traveling in the same direction at the same velocity. They are stationary with regards to each other.

Can you teleport from one planet to another? Their relative velocity says no, as what is a planet besides a giant spaceship.

Can you even teleport from one place on a planet to another? As due to rotation and orbit the place you want to move to is no longer at the spacial coord it was when you started casting.


Yeah I've thought about that before too. Its the same problem time travel would have if you moved 1 minute (or something like that I forget the real amount) to the past but in the same location you would most likely be in space. Then you get into gravity's effect on time and it becomes very complex in like 3 more steps.

So I always just said eh the magic works itself out. So why wouldn't it fix itself there? Could I use a wish to be on their ship and it teleport me?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber

Especially weird with the actual spell interplanetary teleport. It specifically allows you to teleport to other planets, even in different solar systems and can take an hour to cast. Yet you can't teleport from one ship to another if one is moving forward at a steady pace with the very same spell. The text on ship-to-ship teleportation does state that it's the relative speed that causes issue so I would assume its talking about a relatively motionless ship rather one not moving at all.


The thing is it is impossible to not be moving at all... everything is moving relative to something else.


You could maybe argue it from a gravitational pull perspective that it is easier to teleport to something with a strong gravitational pull.

However since I go with the teleport uses the astral to plop you where you want to be I think all the other problems would be bunk. Seems like magic shouldn't care about physics. maybe once wizards found out about physics it shaded their ideas and their spells became limited because of their beliefs.

Side note: hmm At what point do I get younger from teleporting from a high gravity planet to a low gravity planet?


J4RH34D wrote:

I wonder why they removed intimidating prowess...

With that feat str based characters could play the role of captain on a starship

I think it's less "been removed" and more didn't make the first cut of feats.

I bet it will return in the future.

Dark Archive

Game it's a game you can't teleport there because the game says so(big grin). So till they get around to it (and they will to many startrek fans) we just have to wait


Hey we are having a fun pseudo-magic/physics talk here don't take our fun away..


J4RH34D wrote:

Probably...

I always hate things like "stationary" in space, especially when they then go on to talk about relative velocity.

What happens if two ships are traveling in the same direction at the same velocity. They are stationary with regards to each other.

Can you teleport from one planet to another? Their relative velocity says no, as what is a planet besides a giant spaceship.

Can you even teleport from one place on a planet to another? As due to rotation and orbit the place you want to move to is no longer at the spacial coord it was when you started casting.

The removed interplanetary transport as an option, so it' not even something to worry about it Starfinder.

Farthest you can teleport in Starfinder is about 2000 miles.

Dark Archive

Oh fear not I understand. I talked my GM into allowing my operative to run to the airlock after shouting to the pilot to do a flyby attack so close his vibration senses would kick in. Than pulled out my Grappler and proceeded to board the enemy ship. Keep in mind this is the same ship that my teammates are doing the best they can to destroy. I also understand that this was a one-time only event more for role playing than any practical purpose


o_O man must of been an android with cahonies made of steel even to ask the dm to consider that a thing. I mean I can't even imagine the timing that would take.

In other words: awesome

Dark Archive

Vidmaster7 was a ysoki who I started out as a Soldier who was strengths-based but I also want him to be a captain so I had to sacrifice melee damage and landed on operative instead. I've decided to go out of my way to prove his bloodly nature so people will think he does damage even if he cant actually.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

As I hear that story, I really like the idea of hanging out the back of the ship by a tether and trying to grab the enemy ship to board it.

I am just imagining the guy landing on the enemy ships view port and starting to hack away at the glass

Dark Archive

Agree it's a new game and core books are always short on space they need Vs space they have. I'm hoping spat books come out soon and one comes out with more str base powers. Till than work on your GM right? XD


That is the plan :P


Claxon wrote:
J4RH34D wrote:

Probably...

I always hate things like "stationary" in space, especially when they then go on to talk about relative velocity.

What happens if two ships are traveling in the same direction at the same velocity. They are stationary with regards to each other.

Can you teleport from one planet to another? Their relative velocity says no, as what is a planet besides a giant spaceship.

Can you even teleport from one place on a planet to another? As due to rotation and orbit the place you want to move to is no longer at the spacial coord it was when you started casting.

The removed interplanetary transport as an option, so it' not even something to worry about it Starfinder.

Farthest you can teleport in Starfinder is about 2000 miles.

Telepathic Jaunt:

"You can be transported any distance within a plane, even across the galaxy, but you can’t travel between planes, and you can’t transport yourself to a creature if one of you is traveling via Drift travel and the other isn’t."

Did they limit it to 2,000 miles?

It also implies you can teleport between ships as long as they aren't in the drift. But the Starship combat does say that you can't. Kind of strange. Probably just trying to balance boarding in starship combat but creates problems for non combat situations.


Hijiggy wrote:
Claxon wrote:
J4RH34D wrote:

Probably...

I always hate things like "stationary" in space, especially when they then go on to talk about relative velocity.

What happens if two ships are traveling in the same direction at the same velocity. They are stationary with regards to each other.

Can you teleport from one planet to another? Their relative velocity says no, as what is a planet besides a giant spaceship.

Can you even teleport from one place on a planet to another? As due to rotation and orbit the place you want to move to is no longer at the spacial coord it was when you started casting.

The removed interplanetary transport as an option, so it' not even something to worry about it Starfinder.

Farthest you can teleport in Starfinder is about 2000 miles.

Telepathic Jaunt:

"You can be transported any distance within a plane, even across the galaxy, but you can’t travel between planes, and you can’t transport yourself to a creature if one of you is traveling via Drift travel and the other isn’t."

Did they limit it to 2,000 miles?

It also implies you can teleport between ships as long as they aren't in the drift. But the Starship combat does say that you can't. Kind of strange. Probably just trying to balance boarding in starship combat but creates problems for non combat situations.

It's not quite the same. This spell is like Word of Recall from Pathfinder. It wont allow you to teleport to the enemies ship (because your enemy isn't going to be the target of your telepathic bond) unless your friend already happens to be on the ship.

I was referring to the actual Teleport spell.

But it's honestly irrelevant, because I just found that I was incorrect. I missed it before I guess, but interplanetary transport is available as a 6th level technomancer spell.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Obviously, the solution is to install giant arms that throw asteroids as a weapon on your ship.

Don't forget, thrown weapons use your strength modifier to determine their accuracy!


some outlaw star action there huh?


Point defense weapons - they have to be manned to fire at incoming tracking weapons and use their own attack bonus so a low Dex is not a problem.

Any Weapon other than Array. Even with no Dex bonus they will be almost as good as other classes that have not maxed out Piloting.

Engineering is a class skill for Soldier and optional for Solarian. A Korasha Lashunta can take engineering as a +2 racial bonus skill. Even with a low Int score they could make good backup engineers.

Computers - Korasha Solarians could make good backup Science officers as above.


Might it be worth making a room for starships that is a short distance teleporter for boarding, like the teleporter in Faster than Light

1 to 50 of 99 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Starfinder® / Advice / Strength Based Soldier In Starship Combat All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.