Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Gap Theories


Starfinder General Discussion

51 to 100 of 103 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

4 people marked this as a favorite.

In sort of a reverse of the "normal" Genius loci procedure that Barzillai Thrune was seeking to undergo during Hell's Rebels, Golarion itself became sentient, and got up to level 20 in Monk of the Healing Hand, which has the Worst Capstone in the Game. Unfortunately, then Rovagug got loose and was wrecking everything, and Golarion had to use the Worst Capstone in the Game to enable some to survive while taking out Rovagug with it; however, Golarion was too big to be forgotten altogether, even with the use of the Worst Capstone in the Game, and instead this merely created the Gap.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
UnArcaneElection wrote:

In sort of a reverse of the "normal" Genius loci procedure that Barzillai Thrune was seeking to undergo during Hell's Rebels, Golarion itself became sentient, and got up to level 20 in Monk of the Healing Hand, which has the Worst Capstone in the Game. Unfortunately, then Rovagug got loose and was wrecking everything, and Golarion had to use the Worst Capstone in the Game to enable some to survive while taking out Rovagug with it; however, Golarion was too big to be forgotten altogether, even with the use of the Worst Capstone in the Game, and instead this merely created the Gap.

I'm not going to lie...this is kind of an awesome (though seemingly implausible) theory. :-D

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My theory: Aroden's death gets re-written out of history, but takes 300 years to kick in.

Meaning Pathfinder is currently in the middle of the first "Gap" until times gets re-wound, Aroden lives, and prophecy goes back to working.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Markov Spiked Chain wrote:

My theory: Aroden's death gets re-written out of history, but takes 300 years to kick in.

Meaning Pathfinder is currently in the middle of the first "Gap" until times gets re-wound, Aroden lives, and prophecy goes back to working.

I'm not sure I understand this one. You're saying that Pathfinder takes place during the time of the Gap rather than before it?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
KingGramJohnson wrote:
Markov Spiked Chain wrote:

My theory: Aroden's death gets re-written out of history, but takes 300 years to kick in.

Meaning Pathfinder is currently in the middle of the first "Gap" until times gets re-wound, Aroden lives, and prophecy goes back to working.

I'm not sure I understand this one. You're saying that Pathfinder takes place during the time of the Gap rather than before it?

it may well take place during that time.

Aroden's death, and the end of Prophecy, may well have ramifications down the timeline for millenia. Eventually, that might well be punctuated by the removal of Golarion (by some means) which "rights" the timeline or the cosmic order in some sense.

The cost of that, would be the destruction of memory for the intervening time - say the FATES of Greek Mythology can't weave their strings for millenia upon millenia as a result of Aroden's death.

It's only fixed when Golarion, the source of that trauma, is literally removed from existence. The Starstone, being the most connected artifact in the Cosmos to all others, cannot be removed along with the planet, and Absalom Station is built as a cradle to contain its energies from disrupting all existence.

Just a thought.


I would argue that prophecy has not been fixed in SF. There are still rogue elements who can and will disrupt any destiny they know of: the PCs.


The Sideromancer wrote:
I would argue that prophecy has not been fixed in SF. There are still rogue elements who can and will disrupt any destiny they know of: the PCs.

They can try to do so.

Of course, every good prophesy usually has an "out" of some sort.

-----

The Dark Lord will rise and consume all of Golarion, leaving even the Gods helpless, unless rises a group of heroes who seek out the seven lost artifacts of Diaphalian and stand against him in the world's darkest hour.

-----

This I actually told James Jacobs, was, in my opinion, the biggest failing of Pathfinder. The removal of prophesy took such things away from the GM and limited the GM unnecessarily since prophesy and destiny are a staple of the fantasy genre.

Judging from the vast majority of people, they seem to want Prophesy back in Starfinder as almost all of the theories on the Gap point to people wanting it to return.


What about the other major gap event, the massive "pact worlds" (not a concept at the time, but all the worlds that would be pact were their) battle at Aucturn. Is that tied to Golorion? Is the old ones egg a child of Rovagug, or maybe the gods split Rovagug in two or made him exist in two places at once as part of his imprisonment?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
HWalsh wrote:
The Sideromancer wrote:
I would argue that prophecy has not been fixed in SF. There are still rogue elements who can and will disrupt any destiny they know of: the PCs.

They can try to do so.

Of course, every good prophesy usually has an "out" of some sort.

-----

The Dark Lord will rise and consume all of Golarion, leaving even the Gods helpless, unless rises a group of heroes who seek out the seven lost artifacts of Diaphalian and stand against him in the world's darkest hour.

-----

This I actually told James Jacobs, was, in my opinion, the biggest failing of Pathfinder. The removal of prophesy took such things away from the GM and limited the GM unnecessarily since prophesy and destiny are a staple of the fantasy genre.

Judging from the vast majority of people, they seem to want Prophesy back in Starfinder as almost all of the theories on the Gap point to people wanting it to return.

eh... the thing is that Pathfinder the system kept prophecy alive and well, and Pathfinder the setting didn't change the mechanic.

personally, i would have preferred that prophecy go bye bye or at the least, be clouded and full of error.

"the prophecy is always right" is such a chore. let it go away.


Yakman wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
The Sideromancer wrote:
I would argue that prophecy has not been fixed in SF. There are still rogue elements who can and will disrupt any destiny they know of: the PCs.

They can try to do so.

Of course, every good prophesy usually has an "out" of some sort.

-----

The Dark Lord will rise and consume all of Golarion, leaving even the Gods helpless, unless rises a group of heroes who seek out the seven lost artifacts of Diaphalian and stand against him in the world's darkest hour.

-----

This I actually told James Jacobs, was, in my opinion, the biggest failing of Pathfinder. The removal of prophesy took such things away from the GM and limited the GM unnecessarily since prophesy and destiny are a staple of the fantasy genre.

Judging from the vast majority of people, they seem to want Prophesy back in Starfinder as almost all of the theories on the Gap point to people wanting it to return.

eh... the thing is that Pathfinder the system kept prophecy alive and well, and Pathfinder the setting didn't change the mechanic.

personally, i would have preferred that prophecy go bye bye or at the least, be clouded and full of error.

"the prophecy is always right" is such a chore. let it go away.

Golarion is the Pathfinder Setting and it is what killed off prophesy.

Prophesy can be clouded, it can be prone to misinterpretation, but not error. Otherwise you may as well not have it.

Here is a famous one:

"The Matrix of Leadership will light our darkest hour."

Awesome...

Couple questions:
What exactly is our darkest hour? Is it the giant planet destroying robot-God or the hate plague that is consuming the universe?

"There shall come a chosen one, through him balance will return to the Force"

Who is the chosen one? What does balance mean exactly?

"The sun of suns will come in our darkest hour and show himself to be a savior."

Again, when exactly is our darkest hour?

"Four warriors, bearing the four crystals, shall confront Chaos and only through them the world may yet be saved."

May yet? What do you mean, may yet? Does that mean they can lose? All this means is the PCs have a chance to win if they gather the four crystals.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
HWalsh wrote:
Yakman wrote:
HWalsh wrote:
The Sideromancer wrote:
I would argue that prophecy has not been fixed in SF. There are still rogue elements who can and will disrupt any destiny they know of: the PCs.

They can try to do so.

Of course, every good prophesy usually has an "out" of some sort.

-----

The Dark Lord will rise and consume all of Golarion, leaving even the Gods helpless, unless rises a group of heroes who seek out the seven lost artifacts of Diaphalian and stand against him in the world's darkest hour.

-----

This I actually told James Jacobs, was, in my opinion, the biggest failing of Pathfinder. The removal of prophesy took such things away from the GM and limited the GM unnecessarily since prophesy and destiny are a staple of the fantasy genre.

Judging from the vast majority of people, they seem to want Prophesy back in Starfinder as almost all of the theories on the Gap point to people wanting it to return.

eh... the thing is that Pathfinder the system kept prophecy alive and well, and Pathfinder the setting didn't change the mechanic.

personally, i would have preferred that prophecy go bye bye or at the least, be clouded and full of error.

"the prophecy is always right" is such a chore. let it go away.

Golarion is the Pathfinder Setting and it is what killed off prophesy.

Prophesy can be clouded, it can be prone to misinterpretation, but not error. Otherwise you may as well not have it.

Here is a famous one:

"The Matrix of Leadership will light our darkest hour."

Awesome...

Couple questions:
What exactly is our darkest hour? Is it the giant planet destroying robot-God or the hate plague that is consuming the universe?

"There shall come a chosen one, through him balance will return to the Force"

Who is the chosen one? What does balance mean exactly?

"The sun of suns will come in our darkest hour and show himself to be a savior."

Again, when exactly is our darkest hour?

"Four warriors, bearing the...

Divination is still a spell in Golarion. If Prophecy were gone, it wouldn't be.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

And Divination has a very short time limit. Prophecies of the sort that no longer work in the Age of Lost Omens could be made centuries in advance.


On the matter of "other ascended gods", not all the new gods are viable candidates. Several of them, like Talavet and Damaritosh, are established as deities long associated with species not from Golarion. Others were known gods back on Golarion, with known origins, they just didn't used to be as important.

The only major deities who are theoretical candidates are Weydan, Elioritu, Ibra, Oras, and the Devourer. And some of those are stretching plausibility a *lot* ( all the known Starstone ascendees are pretty comprehensibly human, as are the ascendees who achieved godhood via other means ).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber
KingGramJohnson wrote:
Markov Spiked Chain wrote:

My theory: Aroden's death gets re-written out of history, but takes 300 years to kick in.

Meaning Pathfinder is currently in the middle of the first "Gap" until times gets re-wound, Aroden lives, and prophecy goes back to working.

I'm not sure I understand this one. You're saying that Pathfinder takes place during the time of the Gap rather than before it?

I'm saying there was also a previous gap, that Pathfinder takes place in, while Aroden's events that happened after Aroden's first death got re-written so that prohpecy remained intact.


KingGramJohnson wrote:
Markov Spiked Chain wrote:

My theory: Aroden's death gets re-written out of history, but takes 300 years to kick in.

Meaning Pathfinder is currently in the middle of the first "Gap" until times gets re-wound, Aroden lives, and prophecy goes back to working.

I'm not sure I understand this one. You're saying that Pathfinder takes place during the time of the Gap rather than before it?

I thought that was the idea. The "current day" of PF is in the middle of the Gap, meaning that all the different Adventure Paths.

I mean, look at the description of Triune and...

...

Oh, ascended BEFORE the Gap. Missed that.

So...there go the major portions of my theory.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm not new to Pathfinder, but this is the first time I've heard of any prophecy in the Pathfinder setting. What book is the prophecy written in? What is the prophecy? When you say it's gone, what do you mean? It vanished with the Gap? Where in the Starfinder book can I read that?

I want to make myself familiar with this, as it seems to be an important plot point in the general setting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
KingGramJohnson wrote:

I'm not new to Pathfinder, but this is the first time I've heard of any prophecy in the Pathfinder setting. What book is the prophecy written in? What is the prophecy? When you say it's gone, what do you mean? It vanished with the Gap? Where in the Starfinder book can I read that?

I want to make myself familiar with this, as it seems to be an important plot point in the general setting.

100 years before PF a god named Aroden died. His portfolio included prophecy, which hasn't worked right since. Developer commentary has stated that prophecy was removed to allow the players to actually affect the timeline.


While I'm here,

long and involved headcanon:
There's an item in Occult adventures that accesses the Akasic Record to bring up important events. It's capable of running this into the future, implying that the perfect recording of history has data for after the present. Having the Record run off prophecy is the natural assumption, since there's little else for long-term rigidity of the timeline.

Consequently, when prophecy was brought down, the Record stopped updating. If it was updating real-time, the Akasic Form spell would be much easier, since it would effectively be calling a specific creature, something that doesn't require 9th level. Instead, it is difficult because it requires the duplicate to be written to the Record first. The last complete entry on the record is one prophecy-length from when it went down.

Having what may be the multiverse's backup drive not working is a problem, so eventually the various deities attempted to fix it. Eloritu rose to prominence as God of Magic since his much less secretive predecessor (who otherwise wouldn't be falling in worshippers) was busy trying to fix the Record. Progress was slow since most other dieties wre distracted by whatever caused Golarion to be moved. Nethys had ascended by attaining omniscience, and duplicated that feat to get the Record up and running again. Unfortunately,

--this update will require restarting your Akasic Record--

So once it was rebooted, it filled it's function as a backup: copying its contents into the memories of the multiverse. Innacurate since prophecy went down and absent soon after.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
The Sideromancer wrote:
KingGramJohnson wrote:

I'm not new to Pathfinder, but this is the first time I've heard of any prophecy in the Pathfinder setting. What book is the prophecy written in? What is the prophecy? When you say it's gone, what do you mean? It vanished with the Gap? Where in the Starfinder book can I read that?

I want to make myself familiar with this, as it seems to be an important plot point in the general setting.

100 years before PF a god named Aroden died. His portfolio included prophecy, which hasn't worked right since. Developer commentary has stated that prophecy was removed to allow the players to actually affect the timeline.

Ah! Thank you very much. Yes, I know of Aroden and his death, but I was unaware of the prophecy.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Mad Paladin wrote:
KingGramJohnson wrote:
Markov Spiked Chain wrote:

My theory: Aroden's death gets re-written out of history, but takes 300 years to kick in.

Meaning Pathfinder is currently in the middle of the first "Gap" until times gets re-wound, Aroden lives, and prophecy goes back to working.

I'm not sure I understand this one. You're saying that Pathfinder takes place during the time of the Gap rather than before it?

I thought that was the idea. The "current day" of PF is in the middle of the Gap, meaning that all the different Adventure Paths.

I mean, look at the description of Triune and...

...

Oh, ascended BEFORE the Gap. Missed that.

So...there go the major portions of my theory.

In a panel that was presented at Gen Con it was discussed that the Gap would occur typically when you gaming group finishes playing Pathfinder and moved on to Starfinder. So that's why the timeline of the gap is so nebulous.

I think that in this podcast of the Starfinder 101 panel explains that.

Starfinder 101 GenCon Panel


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Or, if you have both games going on at once, the Gap begins with the beginning of your current Pathfinder campaign, so nobody in your Starfinder campaign can look up anything about your Pathfinder campaign.

Or, I suppose, the beginning of the Gap could be a moving target that gradually slips forward in time to be just before the "now" of your Pathfinder campaign -- but that might make things unnecessarily complicated.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
David knott 242 wrote:

Or, if you have both games going on at once, the Gap begins with the beginning of your current Pathfinder campaign, so nobody in your Starfinder campaign can look up anything about your Pathfinder campaign.

Or, I suppose, the beginning of the Gap could be a moving target that gradually slips forward in time to be just before the "now" of your Pathfinder campaign -- but that might make things unnecessarily complicated.

Yep, hence the whole nebulous nature of the thing. Basically the GM gets to set the markers and that's that.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I guess that brings us to this question:

Did the vanishing of Golarion cause the Gap (the same thing that caused the Gap caused Golarion to vanish), or did Golarion vanish during the Gap and the two phenomenon are unconnected?

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Golarion disappearing is local. The Gap was universal. It would imply htat if they are related, the Gap caused Golarion's disappearance, rather than vice versa.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ross Byers wrote:

Golarion disappearing is local. The Gap was universal. It would imply htat if they are related, the Gap caused Golarion's disappearance, rather than vice versa.

we don't know if the gap is universal. it may be confined to the galaxy - which also appears to be the range of the Starstone...


Yakman wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

Golarion disappearing is local. The Gap was universal. It would imply htat if they are related, the Gap caused Golarion's disappearance, rather than vice versa.

we don't know if the gap is universal. it may be confined to the galaxy - which also appears to be the range of the Starstone...

Obviously someone tried to travel faster than light without jumping dimensions, and causality broke.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I figure there's got to be a connection somehow. I don't think it's just "something happened, no one but the gods remember, but they're not talking...oh, and by the way, a planet is missing too." I feel like the Gap and the fate of Golarion have to be connected in some way.


Especially since the disappearance of Golarion was a big deal for the survivors post-Gap. If Golarion had already been gone for years due to unrelated reasons, you'd expect a lot fewer post-Gap survivors to be shocked and astonished by its absence. They may not remember what happened, but they feel like there was supposed to be a planet there.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Metaphysician wrote:
Especially since the disappearance of Golarion was a big deal for the survivors post-Gap. If Golarion had already been gone for years due to unrelated reasons, you'd expect a lot fewer post-Gap survivors to be shocked and astonished by its absence. They may not remember what happened, but they feel like there was supposed to be a planet there.

Exactly, and there's a space station in it's place.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I still think that the two issues are related, but I'm not sure that one caused the other.


Oh, sure. Just saying, there's good evidence to believe that Golarion vanished pretty close to when the Gap "ended"/happened. They almost certainly are tied together, and not "Golarion got hidden away 500 years back when Rovagug almost escaped, and then the Gap was induced after Nyarlathotep almost destroyed the universe" or such.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It could be though. Theoretically, whatever started the Gap could be an event of ancient origin any time after Iron Gods, and the disappearance of Golarion is tied to whatever event ENDED the Gap for all we know. Probably a fire sale at Penney's.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

All in all it still has all the hallmarks of a Dr. Who story.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Aerotan wrote:
It could be though. Theoretically, whatever started the Gap could be an event of ancient origin any time after Iron Gods, and the disappearance of Golarion is tied to whatever event ENDED the Gap for all we know. Probably a fire sale at Penney's.

Are you sure it wasn't a sale at Kohl's? I can see a sale at Kohl's ending the world faster than one from Penney's. On the other hand, Walmart had a sale the other day and I'm pretty sure I saw Saturn there.

What if Golarion was sick of dealing with the weirdness of the Gap and decided to take a vacation and the gods are like, "Come on, the planet's relaxing, don't disturb it."


I'm thinking that the demise of prophecy (the Age of Lost Omens) and the disappearance of history (the Gap) are the same thing, just flowing in different directions.

You can't see very far into the future, because something has broken the connection between now and then. You can't see very far into the past, again, because something broke the connection between now and then.

It seems weirder to us that scrolls and monuments and inscriptions and historical works all become confused and illegible, because they are concrete objects that existed in the past, but for someone with perfect prophecy, they were concrete objects that existed in the future.

The only real thing that makes me extremely dubious of my own theory is that Aroden is basically a 'local' God. It doesn't seem that he was worshipped anywhere but Golarion, and I'm not certain that his demise "shattered prophecy" anywhere but Golarion, so I don't see why any reverberations of that event from the future to the past would affect anything but the area around Golarion. Did all races everywhere in the galaxy lose access to reliable prophecy when he died?

This is part of my larger problem with theology in this game. Pharasma judges all souls, everywhere, evidently. Triune creates a dimension and communicates plans to access it to virtually all civilizations in the galaxy, simultaneously. Then we have a deity like Iomedae, who's an ascended mortal from one race on one planet in one solar system in the galaxy. Why is she a big deal, again?She seems like a local demigod, while Triune seems like a major player.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just because Iomedae started out a young local deity, doesn't mean she has to stay one. After all, Talavet and Damaritosh are "local" deities, too. Overall power and influence depends more on personal talent and drive, plus scope of domain, IMO. . . and Iomedae's domain is a lot more scope-y than it looks, since she's basically the Goddess of Heroes. Combine that with how she basically inherited Aroden's old role and influence, and then *also* gained a general domain of "All the Survivors of Lost Golarion", and however big she was in Pathfinder, she's even bigger now.

I imagine most or all of these elements basically apply to Aroden as well. He wasn't "just" an ascended mortal, he was basically the ascended mortal who was aggressively and effectively grinding his way up the level curve, *making* his domain and influence into a thing competitive with much older, more primal gods. After all, he was basically the God of Constructive Ambition, amongst other things.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Maps, Modules, Pawns, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber

What if their was not one gap, but multiple gaps next to one another.

Someone forgets to do something as a result of one of the gaps. The planet disappears and then a new gap occurs.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Butch A. wrote:

I'm thinking that the demise of prophecy (the Age of Lost Omens) and the disappearance of history (the Gap) are the same thing, just flowing in different directions.

You can't see very far into the future, because something has broken the connection between now and then. You can't see very far into the past, again, because something broke the connection between now and then.

It seems weirder to us that scrolls and monuments and inscriptions and historical works all become confused and illegible, because they are concrete objects that existed in the past, but for someone with perfect prophecy, they were concrete objects that existed in the future.

The only real thing that makes me extremely dubious of my own theory is that Aroden is basically a 'local' God. It doesn't seem that he was worshipped anywhere but Golarion, and I'm not certain that his demise "shattered prophecy" anywhere but Golarion, so I don't see why any reverberations of that event from the future to the past would affect anything but the area around Golarion. Did all races everywhere in the galaxy lose access to reliable prophecy when he died?

This is part of my larger problem with theology in this game. Pharasma judges all souls, everywhere, evidently. Triune creates a dimension and communicates plans to access it to virtually all civilizations in the galaxy, simultaneously. Then we have a deity like Iomedae, who's an ascended mortal from one race on one planet in one solar system in the galaxy. Why is she a big deal, again?She seems like a local demigod, while Triune seems like a major player.

Aroden may well have been a "local god" - but he was also intimately tied to what is probably the most powerful artifact in all reality.


Gods are a fine a dozen in Pathfinder and they die all the time. There's no reason to think the Starstone is unique in a universe that is now estimated to contain 2 trillion galaxies. On a cosmological scale the death or elevation of even dozens of gods doesn't matter much. Nothing does.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Which brings up the question: are the gods of Golarion the same gods (minus the ascended, at least at first) that are worshiped by all races everywhere, just known by different names. A more universalistic viewpoint on the theology of Pathfinder/Starfinder. If not, where are all the other "local" gods of all those races? Shouldn't they be predominate in the Pact Worlds by this point too?

I do agree that Iomedae was a younger goddess during the game of Pathfinder, but was a major player then due to inheriting Aroden's station for lack of a better term. However, in Starfinder, I would argue that now that she's had nearly 4,000 years experience, and the fact that she is a Goddess of Heroes, she's a major player everywhere.


I think it varies from god to god. Some gods are fairly universal, others are less so. However, in general the most important and powerful gods are also the most universal ones. There probably aren't an abundance of Gods of the Sun who aren't Sarenrae.


Metaphysician wrote:
I think it varies from god to god. Some gods are fairly universal, others are less so. However, in general the most important and powerful gods are also the most universal ones. There probably aren't an abundance of Gods of the Sun who aren't Sarenrae.

Or Ra. Or Nurgal. Or...

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I know exactly what happened...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Slyme wrote:

I know exactly what happened...

** spoiler omitted **

How awesome would it be if that really was the answer?! Some idiot somewhere just hit a big red button somewhere and boom thousands of years of history is just gone. I bet the gods were embarrassed and that's why they don't talk about it. LOL!


KingGramJohnson wrote:
Slyme wrote:

I know exactly what happened...

** spoiler omitted **

How awesome would it be if that really was the answer?! Some idiot somewhere just hit a big red button somewhere and boom thousands of years of history is just gone. I bet the gods were embarrassed and that's why they don't talk about it. LOL!

To paraphrase Sir Terry Pratchett, if there were a button labeled "end of the world, do not push," the paint would not have time to dry.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Here's a thought, do people actually trust the gods when they say that Golarion is safe? What if it was destroyed, maybe even by the gods for some reason or the other. Maybe to stop some truly evil thing from getting loose or something like that? Maybe the gods themselves caused the Gap, and erased that portion of history to keep it from being repeated, or to cause people to forget that it did happen? What proof is there that the planet still exists?


KingGramJohnson wrote:
Here's a thought, do people actually trust the gods when they say that Golarion is safe? What if it was destroyed, maybe even by the gods for some reason or the other. Maybe to stop some truly evil thing from getting loose or something like that? Maybe the gods themselves caused the Gap, and erased that portion of history to keep it from being repeated, or to cause people to forget that it did happen? What proof is there that the planet still exists?

I imagine that's something that a few evil gods would try to say, or perhaps a cult, especially those following the Devourer. For most of the others, that seems contrary to their personalities, natures, and domains.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mad Paladin wrote:
KingGramJohnson wrote:
Here's a thought, do people actually trust the gods when they say that Golarion is safe? What if it was destroyed, maybe even by the gods for some reason or the other. Maybe to stop some truly evil thing from getting loose or something like that? Maybe the gods themselves caused the Gap, and erased that portion of history to keep it from being repeated, or to cause people to forget that it did happen? What proof is there that the planet still exists?
I imagine that's something that a few evil gods would try to say, or perhaps a cult, especially those following the Devourer. For most of the others, that seems contrary to their personalities, natures, and domains.

I guess that's a fair point.


Mad Paladin wrote:
KingGramJohnson wrote:
Here's a thought, do people actually trust the gods when they say that Golarion is safe? What if it was destroyed, maybe even by the gods for some reason or the other. Maybe to stop some truly evil thing from getting loose or something like that? Maybe the gods themselves caused the Gap, and erased that portion of history to keep it from being repeated, or to cause people to forget that it did happen? What proof is there that the planet still exists?
I imagine that's something that a few evil gods would try to say, or perhaps a cult, especially those following the Devourer. For most of the others, that seems contrary to their personalities, natures, and domains.

The Chronicle of the Righteous already established that occasionally the Empyreal Lords get together in a Concordance to agree on a collective action, and in one case, the Seventh Accord, they did something really terrible that they refuse to talk about. So good (demi-)deities collectively lying about something like Golarion for the greater good is not impossible to believe.


It is, however, dubious to believe that *everyone* is agreeing to lie about it. If everyone from the tip top of the Upper Planes to the deepest depth of the Lower Planes is willing to agree on secrecy about the Gap, it almost certainly *is* something reasonably justifiable.

51 to 100 of 103 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Starfinder® / Starfinder General Discussion / Gap Theories All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.